Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Audio & Entertainment Questions

Comments

• rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    The 2004 should have the RF headphones. There is a post on here somewhere with pictures of what the remote should look like.
  • vic_vinylevic_vinyle Member Posts: 34
    Fellow PAC'ers:

Our 2006 Pac did not come with the second from the top stereo thus, no subwoofer. :cry:

Is there a existing wiring harness from the existing radio back to the subwoofer already installed? Does the factory subwoofer need its own amplifier or does the radio power it? :shades:

Will may radio be able to power it? I do not want to install the most expensive radio just to power a subwoofer.

Any other ideas that can be done without a lot of hassle??? :)

thanks!!!
  • tizlamtizlam Member Posts: 12
    well i am trying to get more power as well, with out losing too much space , I am in the process of installing a , amp where the 8 inch woofer is in the back and discarding the factory amp replacing with just 1 12 inch. It might be worth it to change your radio. But only if your radio doesnt have a lot of features attched too it . I think you lose the steering wheels controls(volume and stuff) if you replace the radio
  • se58se58 Member Posts: 2
    I need help with my dvd player. My wife said that she hit bump and dvd player will not work and she can not get the dvd enject. I try it,but no help. Does dealer cover this repair?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    they should, as long as you are still within the bumper-to-bumper coverage.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Tizlam

Were you able to get the round grill for the subwoofer off easily? It is possible that it can be popped off and on for storage (in case I don't put a subwoofer in that space)?? :confuse:

How much room is there...enough for jumper cables???

thanks

vic
  • vtech72vtech72 Member Posts: 8
    If anyone can help it will be appreciated. Here is the problem. I bought a 2007 pacifica touring series, and I wanted to add a monitor to the exsting dvd player. I took it in to my local radio shop and had it installed. I got a 9.5 overhead monitor. First thing I noticed was that I could only see the video output from the dvd changer only. The single dvd reads it but it does'nt output the video. Second once the engine fans turns on I get lines on the video screen like static. The radio shop says that it's because the dvd changer does'nt have RCA on the back so the video is weak, beacuse they had to slice cables. Is there a problem how they installed it. Bad power or ground. I need to know to get on there case. They said they used the dvd changer wires to install the monitor.
    Thanks!
    definitely sounds like a bad ground to me. Even if its not, their claim of "weak signal" is still their fault. If they knew it would be a problem, then they shouldn't have hooked it up that way.

Does the single disc player play DVDs?? I thought that was for CDs only? In any case, yes, you'll only get picture from the changer.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I have two dvd players one is the main unit that it's a single one, and the other is a 6 cd/dvd changer. Both have RCA inputs on the front. What I'm guessing is that they tap into the dvd changer cables from the back, and they should have got it from the main dvd unit that it might have a built in noise filter. My guess is that the dvd changer routes the video/audio to the main unit first. Now because they tap into the dvd changer the video and audio would bypass the main unit.I came to this conclusion because I have a portable video player that when plug to the main unit you can hear the sound but no video, that is because the video cables that they installed from the monitor goes straight to the dvd changer bypassing the main unit. Then when I plug the RCA cables on the dvd changer I can hear and see video on the monitor. It should work both ways, because why would you have RCA with video inputs on the main unit for.
    sounds logical to me. If you can hear it from the single unit, then you should be able to see it, too.

In any case, it all points to them having installed it incorrectly.

• pacificamompacificamom Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, we just bought a 2006 Touring. It comes with the 6 cd/dvd changer, but we no drop down screen. We would like to add an aftermarket screen, but after reading all the posts here, sounds like a lot of trouble. I also looked at a drop down dvd system where you would just manualy put the dvd in the overhead changer. Has anyone gone this route? If so, did you like it.. and did it have a resume feature so that when you turn the engine off, then back on again, it continues from where it last left off? I would prefer a system that supports wireless headsets.

If you bought either types of systems, can you please tell me what brand and model screen or system you bought?

Thanks,
    Pacifica Mom.
  • pacificamompacificamom Member Posts: 2
    We just bought an 06 Touring 26T package. On our invoice that list the additional options that come with that package, it never mentions that it plays mp3, just cd/dvd's. As I looked at other packages,.. some list it as cd/dvd/mp3. But I stuck an mp3 disk in there just to see.. and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it played mp3's. Part of me wonders if all Touring package 26T's play mp3's and it just isn't advertised so that if you want that feature, you would just upgrade (pay) and they stick an extra emblem that suggests it plays mp3. Just a thought.

PS: I know that ours is an early production model.
    Yes it works, but get someone that know. I installed a ferenheit 9.5 lcd. It worked fine just make sure they get the power and ground from the same sorce. Have them install chokes on the power and the ignition. They cost $2.00 each. It will eliminate the static when the ac fan kicks on.
  • fenix99tafenix99ta Member Posts: 1
    did you ever find an answer to your question? I am looking to add a sub and video system as well ...let me know thanks Joe
    ours is a Touring, but its an '05. :(

Have you tried it. cause I havent started yet, the guy said he could my alpine amp in that I have no idea what it looks like behing that grill, iI think I will take it to him this week though and i need to figure where I will put the mp3 player , i think its has to go under the seat ,being my changer like some others dont play mp3's. Damn im pissed about that
    I wanna know if anyone has a loaded pac, and if so has anyone changed the factory radio. I dont want to change the factory radio if I do I will lose the caller id function for the U connect, the volume control on the stereo. My problem is PAC has everything bit doesnt play MP3 s. Should I just take my lumps and buy a seperate mp3 player
  • spmedispmedi Member Posts: 11
    I have gathered a lot of information on the subject of installing an aftermarket flipdown lcd screen to the pacifica. My wife and I just bought a 06 touring and it has the cd/dvd changer but no monitor. Seems common. The dealer wants $825 for the monitor and about another $300 to install it. I'll pay it if I have too, but I was looking for a better lcd anyway.

I found a flipdown that supported IR. What I don't understand how to do is connect the IR to it. I know I can buy the wiring harness, and I have read the pin layout off the changer. I would just like some more information on what wires to connected to the video and audio RCA cables I have to make.

The monitor has a power cable, a ground, 2 video sources, and L and R Audio.

Any help would make me and my 2yr old son very very happy.
    Thanks
  • primetime2628primetime2628 Member Posts: 21
    Yes mine is the same. 06 Touring with 6d CD/DVD and single CD. Only the 6d changer plays MP3s. Also, it will not show the ID tags, ie. Artist/title. The FM radio will show it but not the MP3/CD/ or Sirius.
    With the changer/sirius there is not a button to change the display from time to title like the other players that come with these vehicles. Pisses me off too. Such a stupid oversite to have such a high end unit but the couldn't figure out a way to add another button or a way to change the default. I'm sure there is a way to change the default display from time/track/title. Every other mp3/cd player I've ever owned has one.
    Anyone notice that the 2007 Pacifica has a 8" flipdown instead of the 7". It is also IR, looks like the same 6 disc dvd changer. Only instead of being $825 retail, it is only $675.

part # 82210368

trying to find out if it will work as is

Shaun
    Joe

No word yet from anyone about the space behind the grill and if wiring exists from the radio to hook up a subwoofer afterwards. :(

thanks

Vic
    Well the chrysler guy said it would fit. I don't know if I buy that but i'm just going to get the wiring harness and do an aftermarket. I tried to locate the screen else where, salvage, ebay, etc and no luck.

I have a flip down lcd (9.4") that has IR transmitter, i just don't know how to hook it up from the pin out. I guess ill figure it out. I can't see paying $825 when all i need is the harness (like $80-100) and the screen.
    I found that the 2003/2004 verison on the Read Seat Video was the way to go. I ordered the following from a local dealer. They only had the one in stock: price $535

#82207511 Rear Seat Video (DVD) DVD Rear Seat Video™ overhead entertainment includes 7 headliner-mounted LCD TFT screen, in-dash six-disc CD/DVD player with AUX inputs, remote control and two wireless headphones.

This comes w/ instructions, template, and harness. Everything you need. If you want the same thing for the 2005+ version it will cost you $1395.

If you are like me you already had the newer 6 disc cd/dvd changer. You will have to remove it. It is OK, just wait.

After you install the "old" new changer, screen, etc you will be left with 2 harnesses (the one that hooks to the radio and changer which you already had for the old one) and the 2006 changer. This changer is $595 new from Mopar alone. The changer itself is selling for $200 - $250 on Ebay.

So after you buy the 2004 verison and sell the new one you will have a investment of about $350 and a couple hours of your time. That sure beats $825 or $1395 and a couple hours of your time.

Now for the difference I have found between the 2003 and 2005 changers. #1 of course in the RF instead of IR headphones which are MUCH MUCH better. They are built better, sound better, work in any seat, etc. #2 you lose the MP3 functionality of the 2005 changer. The 2003 one doesn't read them, or at least mine doesn't. To me this is a small price to pay as I can still play cds, and could even convert any MP3's I had to cda and play them from a CD-r.

Anyway I thought I let everyone know. If you purchase a cheap ($125) flip down aftermarket monitor (that has Built in IR), the remote and headphones ($60 - ebay), and make or buy the harness ($20 to $100 for harness) you are in at least $205 to $285.

I will say that the 7" display is fine. At first I wanted something larger, but it is just right. Especially given the rear view mirror / window situation.

Shaun
  • lrocalroca Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Pacifica. The last owner had after market LCD screens installed. I do not know how to get the vedio feed to the screens. Someone told me there is a certain way to tell the player to send the vedio to the back. Has anyone had to do this?
  • 05pacificadave05pacificadave Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

I just had an internet purchased "Pyle" Drop down LCD installed in my 05 PAC Touring. I had the 5 disk DVD changer and the single CD player on top.

The video works fine. It will play a DVD if it has Auto-play enabled. The LCD has IR headphones. However, we're getting no sound on the headphones. The installer found the "extra" IR-pin; and reading the Chrysler manual I discerned that you must use the Chrysler remote to control the DVD changer, as well as to "ENABLE" the DVD to switch on Audio output; which would proably hit the IR pin. Then, I should get sound.

I am going to plan to try and buy a remote. My installer thinks he can rig up a IR receiver (repeater) and plug that into the IR pin. Then, with the remote - I should be good.

Does anyone know the model # of the remote; where to get it? Also - does my technical solution sound right?
  • jay58jay58 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, I recently replaced my 6-disc DVD changer with a used 2006 model due to a disc getting stuck and my repair guy going in on it with a hammer :).... anyway, it seems that although the dealer says they are like for like replacements, the wiring descriptions on each appear slightly different. Nothing that looked like it would break anything, so I hooked it up. Seems to work fine but one problem. The headphones. My 2004 worked with 900Mhz headphones, and the messages on this board refer to a newer IR based headphones. Not sure if this is related to my problem. Maybe I have some wiring missing. Cannot find any info on where the transmitter is ( some messages say the IR is in with the monitor - not sure about the 900Mhz). Anyone have any ideas on how to get the 900Mhz working again?

Thanks
  • rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    I saw a picture somewhere, not sure if it was this forum. On the 900Mhz version of the changer the transmitter is a little black box mounted to the top of the changer (not seen when installed in the dash). As you said, on the IR models it is built into the screen.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    My one-year free offer is about to expire for Sirius. Does anyone have a promo code that offers a lower annual rate? I found one for XM for my Acura and it's only $77 per year! Thanks.
  • phil27phil27 Member Posts: 8
    I have an '06 Pacifica with the factory 6-disk DVD changer, but no overhead monitor.

Do you need the factory monitor or a compatible monitor to use the wireless headphones? I have tried running both a CD and a DVD in the DVD changer to see if the rear seat passenger could listen to music with the wireless headphone while I listen to the radio on the car's speakers. I activated the headphone button on the remote and noticed that the headphone symbol was activated on the radio. My understanding is that this should cause the DVD player audio output be sent to the headphones, but the sound never switched from the car speakers to the headphones (the headphone symbol was on, new batteries in headphone, new headphone).

I bought the headphones last week from a local Chrysler dealersip's parts department (part number was 5064037AA).

I understand from reading various forums that there may be 2 different headphone types for this year. Is this true? If only one type of headphone is specified for the vehicle, is this part number the correct headphone or how can I find out?
    Hi Phil,

I have an 05 Pacifica with the same configuration. I just bought an aftermarket LCD and had it installed, and had many questiions and problems figuring it out. The IR transmitter for the wireless headphones is in the monitor itself. In the factory one, that is the case; as well - as in the aftermarket one I bought. You're absolutely correct in needing to get the remote, both to control the DVD player and to activate the headphone button, in order to send sound to it. You don't need the Chrysler headphones, btw - any aftermarket ones will do. However, I found that only DVDs in the DVD player will trigger the sound to go to the headphones (along with hitting the button on the remote. You can't send CDs played in the DVD player to the headphones (i.e. so the kids can listen to a different CD). UGH - I hate Factory OEM stereos!

I'm still having issues with buying my LCD online through a cheap vendor - the first unit had a bad picture, and I'm still waiting for the warranty replacement to come in - but thats what I get for being cheap.
    Thanks. You confirmed my worst suspicion.

I get the feeling that Chrysler “over-engineered” a simple concept. I'm an engineer and know the difference between "book smart" designers and those with common sense. Those with commom sense would realize that functionality and customer satisfaction are paramount to long term business success.

I also feel scammed by what Chrysler did. I feel as though they sold half a product in order to maximize profit on the accessory end. Worse still, to comply with the conspiracy theory for this scam, I would then also have to pay the dealer additional labor to install the unit in order to complete Chrysler’s little scheme. What good is the CD/DVD unit without the monitor? I already have a 6-disk factory CD changer/radio. The only advantage to the second unit would be to allow me to use it to direct sound and/or video to a remote location (sound going wireless).

It seams to me that a simpler, smarter solution to would have been to leave the switching capability in the DVD player itself. Likewise, Chrysler should have either sold the system as a complete accessory or installed it as a complete system. Finally, the operational characteristics and limitations should be clearly stated in the owner's manual and should be clearly stated on the vehicle at the time of sale.

My next step is to determine if I can run the sound & video out of the back of the DVD player to RCA jacks. This would let me use my portable monitors and, hopefully, my daughter could use the sound jacks to connect wired headphone and listen to CDs. To do this, I’ll experiment with running a cable from the port that is supposed to go to the monitor, but instead would go to the jacks.

But before I go that far, I’m still trying to determine if the sound will still go through the radio and the car's speakers. If I can’t bypass the speaker system, this Chrysler product is useless to me. At that point, I’ll have to work on a different solution.

I dumped enough money into this car when I bought it and expected utility out of ALL the features installed on the vehicle. This situation shouldn't so complicated or expensive.

I can't think of another feature installed on a vehicle that is only half complete.
    You're not going to believe this, but the following is the reponse to my inquiry to Chrysler about the operational characteristics of the system (note grammar, lack of detail). This is a direct quote from the e-mail I recieved:

"CHRYSLER TECH at 1/19/2007 9:23:17 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RE: DVD sound to Headphone problem
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

u will need to get the over head it comes with the headphones which are infared and are used through the over head. The ones u get with out the over head u will haft to have the radio for the wireless headphones. The radio has the transmiter built in and so one and so forth. A Pac has the 6 disk cd changer in the lower half which is a standalone unit.
    If u want headphones with dvd get the over head and u will have what u want."

I guess Chrysler doesn't have an appreciation for "book smart", common sense, tact, poise, or customer satisfaction.
    I have to appologize. The respone from Chrysler Tech, was not a Chrysler response, but a response from another forum member on another forum site. I appreciate his response. I thought it was a response from Chrysler concerning a detailed e-mail I sent them.

I'm sorry to the respondent & am ambarrassed.
  • peterbrohlpeterbrohl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Pacifica with the factory installed 6 CD/DVD in-dash unit. But, I do not have the viewing screen nor any overhead console.

I have pluged my iPod output into the audio inputs of this unit but can't figure out how to select this to listen to the iPod. Can anyone give me some advice, please?
    Sorry, I don'y know.
    I think you're going to need the RF remote control for the DVD unit. It is the only way to select inputs on that unit. I just installed an overhead (non-OEM) LCD screen; and the Chrysler RF remote (about $60 at a dealer - less online) is the key to running the unit. Unfortunately, EVEN if you're not playing DVDs.
  • chris5639chris5639 Member Posts: 12
    This is not true. The audio for the 6 DVD player is selected right on the radio. It's the button that toggles between Sirius radio or DVD playback.

The audio will automatically switch from playing a DVD to the RCA input when the system detects voltage from the audio input. So, if you ipod starts playing and the volume is high enough, the DVD player will automatically direct sound from the ipod to the radio.

I've tried this with my iPod and it works fine. However since the DVD changer plays mp3's, I don't bother with my iPod.

The remote is necessary if you want to switch the DVD audio to the headphones (if video screen is installed) and allow the front passengers to listen to a different source (radio/cd)
  • dglanzdglanz Member Posts: 1
    I am hoping someone here can help me figure out how to get my wireless headphones working in my 2004 Pacifica that I purchased used about a month ago. It has the factory DVD video system with remote and headphones (Part #04685936AE), which from my sources seem to be the right phones for this system.

The problem is that I can't get them to work. When I press the headphone button on the remote, the headphone indicator flashes on the display and it shows "Chan A", or something like that. Then the headphone light stayes illuminated. The rear speakers go off and the front speakers stay on. I am able to change to another CD or the radio on the front speakers while the movie stays on the screen and the headlight indicator stays illuminated.

The problem is that when I turn on the headphones, the light stays red and they time out because they cannot find the signal. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that I have a bad RF transmitter, or am I doing something wrong. I have four sets of headphones and have tried two others, for a total of six. None of them worked and four were still new in the packaging. This problem has existed since we got the car.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it. I don't really want to listen to "Cars" again!

Thanks,

Doug
  • carp3095carp3095 Member Posts: 7
    I have the factory template to cut into the headliner so you can install a monitor. Send me and email and I'll send it to you.
    Carp.
  • peterbrohlpeterbrohl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response but this is not an option. I don't have a button that toggles between Sirius radio and DVD playback. I do, however, have a mode switch that will allow me to toggle to the 5-unit DVD player that houses the iPod inputs. But, when I switch to that, it tells me that there are no discs present. And, having the iPod volume up as loud as it will go, didn't make any difference. I'm wondering if these inputs aren't hooked up since I don't have the DVD screen and overhead console.
    That's the button I'm talking about. The mode button toggles between DVD and Sirius radio in my Pacifica. Put a DVD in the drive and then let it play, then hit play on your ipod. The system will detect voltage from your ipod's audio output and switch automatically to it. It's certainly not ideal. I would have prefered a dedicated button. If you do a search you'll find people complaining about the system switching between ipod and dvd when there's a break (silence) between songs playing from the ipod.
  • 04pacman04pacman Member Posts: 23
    I tried to email you but the Carspace is having problems, keep getting currently under maint msg. Would you mind emailing me the template at rmyers15@hotmail.com?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Tired of the factory system (w/o DVD) I went ahead and purchased a complete system which I will soon be installing. (I’ll post pictures of the process; before, during and after for those who are interested.) :D What I’m looking for is if someone has a Pacifica interior wiring diagram. I’m going to be running a lot of cables and it would make it a lot easier. On the plate for install is new double din do it all deck, 12.4 flip down monitor with IR. 10” sub, 300 watt amp, back up camera and sensors. So if anyone has experience pulling the headliner down on these please let me know if I need to look out for anything. Also a roof template would be helpful if anyone has one.

It’s currently shipping to me so I’ll post next weekend when I’m done; or before if I need help.
  • pietraspietras Member Posts: 4
    chris5639, I burnt MP3s to rewritable CD and my DVD changer displays ERROR when CD is inserted. Do you burn to data DVD? I have 2004 Pacifica.
  • pietraspietras Member Posts: 4
    I went through older posts and found my answer, I have RF headphones so DVD changer won't play MP3s.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I'm glad that you were able to find your answer. :)
  • ptrembptremb Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Touring with the DVD player. I have the headphones but not the remote. I found two types of remotes on line and it states they are not compatable but I don't know which one I need.

Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks for all of the info to those who responded to my previous posts. I finished adding my new system which included a new, double din touch screen head unit in the dash, a 12" LCD flip down monitor with infrared for headphones, a 300 watt amp and a 10" subwoofer. :shades:

For those who are interested check out my pics in my CarSpace profile or cut and paste the following: “http://www.carspace.com/04pacman/Albums/Media_System/Mount 4.JPG/page/photo.h- tml#pic"

I will say if you are at all considering changing the factory deck with an aftermarket, you will need to have a good mechanical sense otherwise it would be best to pony up the $300.00+ for install. I’ve done countless stereo installs and this was definitely a challenge for me. Because of the way the factory Infinity system is setup I had to bypass the factory amp altogether; which basically means I had to rewire all of the speakers.

For the Aftermarket LCD screen, I would recommend you pay the $15-$20 for a template it would make it a lot easier; for me, I did not have a template and ended up pulling the headliner down to find the factory mount which took about 3 hours. If you don’t want to mess with it most audio shops will charge around $150-$200 to install it.

FYI: The range of quotes for the entire system install I got before I decided to tackle it ranged from $300 for the deck alone to over $700.00 for the whole system.
  • bahnburnerbahnburner Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I've got a 2004 Pac Touring with sunroof and the 6-disc changer, so I know I have DVD capability. I've ordered an aftermarket flip-down screen and two pairs of RF headphones and the proper remote...now, I'm wondering where the heck is the wiring harness from the DVD terminates? I've pulled the headliner down all around the sunroof, but don't see anything yet. Shouldn't the connector be nearby up there? If you buy the OE kit for cars with the existing changer, it doesn't include a cable (not required). Anyone located this plug? Which side? Where? Thanks, all fellow Pac'ers
    This is as far as the harness goes, http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/carterfx/detail?.dir=c7d7&.dnm=7d74.jpg&.src=ph

You need another wire to go the rest of the way and I've heard it's not cheap.

Here are the rest of the install pics (not mine)
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/carterfx/album?.dir=c7d7