Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Tires and Wheels

1234568»

Comments

• evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I never buy tires without checking out the consumer survey at http://tirerack.com.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Hi all, in a few thousand miles I am going to have to replace my Bridgestone Serenity Tires due to uneven treadwear; I am looking to replace them with a tire that has excellent ride quality and lowest noise levels because that is the most important qualities in a tire to me

I've heard that the Michelin Exalto, Michelin Pilot A/S Plus, and Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons are the best in ride quality and noise level but before I get any tires I wanted to hear from others what they think are best for giving the best ride quality and lowest noise level? I've also read good things thus far on tirerack.com for the continental extremeprocontact DWS's

Look forward to your opinions and suggestions!!!!
  • gitnbygitnby Member Posts: 10
    Bought a TL Tech that comes with Michelin HXMX4's.

Took the car through a pretty extensive test drive before buying, and the tires seemed quiet and offered a nice ride? BTW, that is more important to us than performance-type handling. Don't like to feel bumps, as I have some back problems.

After reading other posts, it seems like there are some issues with this tire?

If I was convinced that there is a better tire for my preferences, I would buy them right away and sell the OEM's.

Wet/snow traction is not a big deal as I have another vehicle that will handle that, but we want a safe tire that will get us through the stuff if needed.

With smooth ride and quiteness in mind, what is the best you all have tried?

Thanks!
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    Check on the label inside your driver's side door frame. My 2005 TL says the ideal tire pressure is 32 psi. I too have the same issue with varying psi (we live in Minnesota...was 25 below last night; though the car is parked inside). The other day I adjusted the pressure in all of them to 32 psi (cold). The next day I took it in for an oil change and the guy said they were all reading between 40 and 42! He said the pressure can usually vary by 7-9 psi. I told him to leave the tires alone, assuming they'd settle back down to 32-ish again.
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    I've had some tire issues w/the TL, but I've never questioned their "safety" aspects. If you tested the car thoroughly in advance, and you're happy w/the tires today, I would not take the (likely) $500 to $1,000 hit by buying a new set of tires. You aren't going to get much for your used tires. Just keep riding on the OEM tires until (if?) they give you some sort of issue that would prompt you to dispose of the tire.

On the other hand, if you have money to burn - thank you in advance for helping us out of this recession! ;)
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    The tire pressure should and will rise as the tire warms up...Charles Law
    We are happy with out new TL, with one exception. Rough Ride?

Have the 17" Michelin HXMX4's, which may be part of the problem?

Or, maybe the fact that it has not been much over 20 degrees since we picked the car up? Tires and shocks seem to ride rougher on our other car in this weather, too!

Or, maybe because we traded in an Avalon with a softer suspension, and just need to get used to the firmer ride?

I'm hoping that warmer weather and the "breaking in" of the suspension will help?

Any comments?

Thanks!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Most Toyotas, Lexi are soft riders. How much of a test drive did you do on TL demo before you bought one?
    Just make sure your tire pressure is at the recommended levels; it has been my experience with Acura and other stealerships that they tend to over inflate tires when they go to sell the car or you bring the car in for any kind of service; I've told them not to inflate the tires and leave them alone and they still can't listen; I've had the car inflated (cold) to 38 and 40psi when I've gotten it back

the recommended cold tire pressure is 33 psi so that could be why the car is riding rough; though the really cold weather we have been having doesn't help anything either

just a thought! hope things smooth out for your soon!!
    Went for about a half hour test ride over city streets and highway.

Seemed pretty smooth?

It was about 20-25 degrees warmer and there were 3 people in the car.
    The extra weight might have made it 'sit down' a little better on shocks?

Recommended tire pressure on door says 32 PSI all around, and that's what we have it at.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    That is so true- when they delivered my TL to me last August, the pressure all around was 39 PSI- way too high. I took it to another dealer the following weekend for an accessory install and they made the correct adjusment.
    my apologies, I should have been more specific, on the 3rd gen TL the recommended tire pressure is 33psi fronts, 32 psi rears; I guess the 4th gen TL is 32 psi all around!
    Our car came equipped with 18" wheels from the factory.We didn't want those because I thought the ride would be better on the 17".
    So, they switched out the 18''s for 17"'s and credited us for the price difference.

I assume the suspension is the same on the TL Techs with either wheel size since it is not the SH-AWD, which has a different set-up?
    Our car came equipped with 18" wheels from the factory.We didn't want those because I thought the ride would be better on the 17".
    So, they switched out the 18''s for 17"'s and credited us for the price difference.

I assume the suspension is the same on the TL Techs with either wheel size since it is not the SH-AWD, which has a different set-up?
    I'm assuming your talking about the 4th Gen TL and not the 3rd because I believe on the 4th Gen that the suspension is the same whether you get the Base TL or the Base TL with tech package; its once you go into the SH-AWD that the suspension changes a little bit and I believe the ride is considered a little bit rougher in the AWD version

I thought unless you got the SH-AWD you got 17inch wheels on the base TL and base TL with tech package? I think you get 18inch wheels in the SH-AWD version? I'm not 100% sure so someone could correct me on that if it is not the case?

I know on the 07 and 08 TL that you got 17inch wheels if you got the Base TL or Base TL with tech package and 18inch wheels on the Type-S TL in those years

Hope that helps!
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    For 2010, you can now get 18" wheels as an option on the base car.
    Theoretically, 17" wheels should offer a softer ride than 18" since the 18"'s are 245/45 and the 17"'s are 245/50, which means that the sidewall is 5% smaller on the 18's.

Still a bit disappointed in the ride.

Maybe warmer weather will help? Or "breaking in" of the suspension?
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Thanks, everyone! I have a 2007 TL and I can't seem to get the tire presssure at the recommended psi's. I took my car to Discount Tire and I told them specifically to use the psi's on the label inside my door jam and now my tires are at 37/38 except for the back rear which reaches 39/40! Yikes, that just too high for me. I think I'm taking my car in again because the ride gets a little too bumpy!

I'm a little annoyed...
  • davidmswdavidmsw Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 TL but with a 6 speed manual and the std. Bridgestone Turanza tires. While the snowfall in the D.C. does not compare to our lives in Michigan, I have found the TL with the above tires to be excellent driving in all weather - hot, rain and snow but not deep snow. Our car now has 51,000 miles on it and will soon have the front tires replaced again with the Bridgestones. I have had Other Bridgestones on our 2001 Honda Accord and on our 1999 Dodge Dakota PU 4x4 with manual also and did get 30,000 miles or so with both car and truck. However, I tend to drive the TL a bit harder but not reckless as it is a fun car to drive esp with the manual transmission and Brembo brakes - squealing aside, and the tighter setup. Not sure of the earlier weritten thoughts on Bridgestone but I have had Michelin and Goodyear tires in early years both Corvette and another Dodge with less satisfaction. For myself I'll stick with the Bridgestones and Acura service.
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Not true. I have a 2007 TLS and stock tire size is 235-45-17.
    wow really, I thought the type-s came standard with18inchers in 07 and 08; thanks for info, I didn't know they came in 17 inch!!
    Hey all, in roughly two months at about 20k miles I'm going to need to get new tires for my TL; my serenity's are just about shot, mostly due to a 4k mis-alignment that caused uneven wear and I want to get a tire that gives the best ride quality and lowest noise level for the TL; I've done extensive research on here, edmunds, CR, and tirerack and have narrowed down the top contenders to the following choices! which one of these do you recommend??

Grand Touring: Kumho Escta LX Platinum
    High Performance: Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    Ultra High Performance: Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons
    Continental DWSs (if long term updates proves they last!)
  • moto7moto7 Member Posts: 13
    My experience with tires for a 2004 TL:

Original Bridgstone Turanza's- Very good handling, VERY harsh ride, short tread life (27K)

Yokohama Avid W4S - Economical, good ride, good handling, low tread life (30K) due to cupping, probably caused by not rotating soon enough or one wheel that was slightly out of alignment. fairly quit until cupping occurred then very noisy.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - Quiet, very good handling, smooth ride, tread life appears to be very good so far (32K), good in snow (Colorado). May cause slight drop in MPG. This is BEST tire for my TL to this point.
    Had Bridgestone Turanza EL42 on 2004 TL. Put on Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on car in April, 2008 and am satisfied. There is a small amount of road noise on these Pilots that the Bridgestones did not have. Handling is pretty good. Believe that the Bridgestones were a tad more comfortable than the Pilots. But, with size 235/45-17, comfort takes a back seat to handling.
  • hotwheels69hotwheels69 Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2006 standard. I am on my third set of tires which are the best so far.
    The original Bridgestones were ok but were worn out at 25K. I change to Goodyear Eagles which road horribly, had bad traction and were worn out completely at 25k.
    My third set is Michelin pilot exalto that are still good at 40K. They are lower speed rated but traction is great and the ride is a little smoother. You might not see these as a fit on sites like tire rack because they have a lower speed rating than original equipment. When I replace these, I will replace with the same tire. Very Satisfactory Tire.
    thanks for input! I am definitely thinking of getting the Exalto's'; I have Bridgestone Serenity's on the car now but they are going to be worn out by 20k and I want to get something that is just as quiet but handles and grips the road a little bit and the Exalto's seem to be a nice balance of ride quality/handling!

yes, you are correct! tirerack doesn't list the Exalto's as tires for the TL because to their speed rating being a H rather than W but the lower speed rating will give you a little bit better ride and unless you plan on doing more than 150mph, I don't think the lower speed rating is really going to hurt you!
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    Have a 2005 TL automatic, at suggestion of Tire Rack for handling , put on Semperit Z III , which have done well. Used only as summer tire tho - Brdgstn Blizzaks in winter (now coming off!). I absolutely hated the Turanza EL s that the car came with. Short life, lousy handling, awful in Ohio snow - got about 15k out of them and threw them away. The Semperits may not have the best ride quality, but they are nice and I'm happy with them...good response tires.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Hi folks,

Well I've had my 2008 Acura TL Type S for over two years, and its been a great car. I have over 41,000 miles on it and its time for new tires.

It came with Michelin Pilot MXM4's on them. They've been good overall, however they have never shined in rain or snow.

Now I can do the easy thing, and just get the same tires, however Id rather have something that is a bit better performer in wet snow conditions (and dry as well of course).

Can anyone please recommend something else aside from the stock Michelin's that will do the job? Ive heard some good things about Bridgestone, and Toyo, but what do you Acura owners have to say?

Thanks in advance!
    Have a 2004 TL. Put on Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S when original Bridgestones wore out. Am very pleased with these. Did this about 2.7 years ago and Tire Rack had very good customer response ratings on these tires. The originals were quiet and the Exaltos have a little bit of noise, but not objectionable.
  • mnelismnelis Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know of or have a use for 1997 Acura 2.5TL Wheels. I bought the wheels for my Integra but the bolt pattern does not match. They are 8W-15-SW5-200 that have never been mounted. They are in like new condition. I can not find any Honda or Accura sources that can cross reference the application of these wheels to any other Honda models. I do not think the TL has its own unique lug pattern among Hondas. Any ideas welcome : mnc.only@gmail.com
  • mjh2mjh2 Member Posts: 2
    Hit a pothole on the highway and sustained a mildly damaged wheel on the rim where it hits the tire. It is not leaking nor any vibration or other malfunctions. Does the wheel need to be replaced?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    No one can answer the question without looking at it.
  • fredbloggs1fredbloggs1 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2009 TL. Any suggestions for good winter tires for driving in New Jersey? Thanks.
    Just bought a 2009 TL. Any suggestions for good winter tires for driving in New Jersey?

Am in Northern Illinois. Have a 2004 TL and have 4 Dunlop 3D winter/snow tires mounted on a separate set of rims bought at Tire Rack. Have 50 series rather than 45 series for a smaller footprint. Important to have same circumference as original spec tires that came with car and similar load rating.

These Dunlops work well for me in snow/ice and handle pretty well in the dry.

Also have Michelin X-Ice2 on an Ody van and these are excellent for the van use. Not sure if they would be as sporting as the Dunlops in the dry if mounted on a TL.

Talk to someone at Tire Rack for advice on the 2009 TL.