Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS Bluetooth and Navigation

toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
I'm interested in the AWD version, don't want to spend the extra $ for NAV, but I'd like to have the bluetooth option.

Does Bluetooth only come with the NAV option?

(I believe it is included in the premium pkg on the new ES350- without NAV)

Can you owner's clarify the IS' Bluetooth availability for me ?

Comments

• Options
    digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    I believe its only with the nav. I have it in mine. this is something you can find out at your dealer or at lexus.com .
  • Options
    alex4x4alex4x4 Member Posts: 19
    One of the things to keep in mind about the Navigation System is there is a lot more to it than just GPS Navigation. People look at the $2500 price and think it too pricey for a GPS navigation system when they can buy a nice handheld unit for a few hundred bucks and move it from vehicle to vehicle. The Lexus NAV System is the centerpiece of the interior and almost all of the cabin controls go through the touch screen. All of the climate controls, audio controls including radio presets, even a maintenance calendar for oil/filter changes, tire rotation, and a BUNCH of other things. You can specify a music style (rock-country-jazz-etc) for scanning stations. On available stations you get the Artist and Song Title displayed. You set the dual zone climate control to each sides individual digital temp setting. With the bluetooth you transfer your phonebook to the Nav screen so you can select the person you want to call by touching the name on the screen. Also with the bluetooth you can press on a point of interest icon on the screen, like a restaurant, and then hit the telephone icon and it will automatically call the place. Really cool if you are traveling and have a taste for something specific or you want to call ahead for takeout and have it ready when you get there. Don't forget you also get the back-up camera. Point is there is a lot more to the system than just the NAV, there is a lot of switches, wiring, and microcontrollers working behind the scenes. IMO unless you are really stretching financially to get into the IS250 AWD you would be missing out on one of the neatest parts of the car by not getting the Nav System. After all if you are buying an expensive luxury car why intentionally leave out one of the things that makes it a luxury car?
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I'll give the Nav system another look. Like you mentioned, I assumed that the gps portion of the Nav system was something I could by at an auto parts store for $300.

The phone system being integrated into the Nav would be useful to me. I understand that only a few digital phones work with the bluetooth option.
    Do some phones interface better than others?
  • Options
    nrossnross Member Posts: 13
    Alex is correct of his assestment of the Nav package for the IS. However, there is somethings to be said for the non-nav car. I have the Nav on an RX and ES , but not on my IS. While the back-up camera is an absolute nessesity on the RX, you really don't need it on an IS. I like the Park assist better on the IS. If your rarely need the navigation system, or if you have your own portabe GPS, I would save the $2500. The controls are much easier to use with the radio and climate controls without the nav system. You don't even have to read the manual to figure them out, its that simple. The Nav complicates these controls. Also, the standard radio on the IS is terrific, better than the ML on the ES. If the extra $2500 keeps you from getting the IS, you will be missing a great car. Something to consider. Good luck with your choice.
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Standard radio on the IS is terrific, better than the ML.........Standard radio on the IS is very good,but....do you really think it is better than the ML????
  • Options
    nrossnross Member Posts: 13
    Yes. The standard radio on my IS 250 AWD sounds better than the Marl Levinson system in my ES 330.Plus the IS 250 has an MP3 or iPod jack. The ML system has a six disc changer that takes up 2/3 of the storage space in the center console. Does anybody use CDs anymore. I think the speakers are better in the IS. I'm not an audiophile, but its my opinion. The ML system in the IS is supposed to be terrific, but I have not seen or heard one in an IS yet.
  • Options
    chiefrockerchiefrocker Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased an IS350 and everytime I have an incoming call it rings a half a ring and then "call terminated by network" appears?? I am able to make calls but can receive them?

Thanks a bunch!!
  • Options
    dennisgdennisg Member Posts: 12
    Greetings everyone,

My wife and I just bought a new 2006 IS 350 with a nav system, which we'd like to make extensive use of. Does anyone know where there might be a list of all the voice commands it understands? They're not in the user manual or on the CD-ROM that came with it. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Dennis
  • Options
    ricksterqricksterq Member Posts: 45
    I recently purchased an IS350 and everytime I have an incoming call it rings a half a ring and then "call terminated by network" appears?? I am able to make calls but can receive them?

What kind of phone do you have? Is it on the list of tested and approved phones on the letstalk website? If not, that may be your problem.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where there might be a list of all the voice commands it understands?

I too, had, and still have, the same problem. There are so many commands it knows that's it's tough remembering them all. The one audio command you should commit to memory is "help". Push your audio command button on your steering wheel and use that command. On your nav screen will pop up a list of all the commands your voice command system knows broken down by category (Audio, Climate, POI, etc...). You can use the nav touchscreen to navigate to the category you want and see what commands your car knows. NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS WHEN YOUR CAR IS STOPPED.

The exception to this rule are the name tags you create for your stored phone numbers. Those you record and I'm guessing the voice command system matches up to that recorded name.

Good luck finding your "help"
  • Options
    chiefrockerchiefrocker Member Posts: 7
    I have a Razr phone and Verizon is my service provider. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
  • Options
    cbuyercbuyer Member Posts: 1
    FYI, if you all weren't aware of this site, Lexus now has a very comprehensive and informative list of approved Bluetooth phones and their respective capabilities...

http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/product/findProducts.htm?pgId=100&dontshowdef- view=1&model=IS

Thanks,

E
  • Options
    cbuyer: Thanks, this must be a new addition to the Lexus website. I just bought a IS250AWD last night. I didn't notice the bluetooth link last week.

My salesperson recomends the Motorola PEBL U6 phone. He says that this has newer software (MotoSpeak) that links better to the IS bluetooth system. He says some of the RAZR phones have older software which don't work as well.

My question: Does anyone out there have first hand experience with the PEBL phone and how it might "pair up" with the new IS ????
  • Options
    I have a Razr phone and Verizon is my service provider. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

I too have a Razr phone and it works like a champ with my bluetooth. Perhaps the problem could be the cellular provider. I was told by my local Lexus service department that the cellular provider also makes a difference in phone compatibility. I specifically asked them which phone they would recommend and the resounding answer was a Razr V3 from CINGULAR. They said the Verizon Razr didn't work as well. Not sure if it's a software issue or profile issue, or what. I'm not sure what to advise you to do. Perhaps get with some of your friends who might have bluetooth phones and try pairing them up with your system to see how they work. Looking at the letstalk website might provide some insight, but I'm sure the Razr phones will be on the list of compatible phones.
  • Options
    sofienycsofienyc Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 250 AWD with Nav and it seems that due to the safety concerns of using the navigation system while driving, Lexus has configured the system to disable while in motiion. Okay, I can understand that but what about the Bluetooth phone? It does not work while driving. I am an outside sales rep and I need and bought the car for the phone system. I was not told that it would not work if the car was moving. Does anyone out there know of a way of by passing the safety systems that enable the phone to work. I want to return the car as it is totally useless to me. My Mercedes though not Bluetooth, allowed me to have handfree cellphone service without any of the BS I am going through with LEXUS.
  • Options
    I just bought a 250 AWD with Nav and it seems that due to the safety concerns of using the navigation system while driving, Lexus has configured the system to disable while in motiion. Okay, I can understand that but what about the Bluetooth phone? It does not work while driving.

OK, you might want to calm down and pull out your owners manual before you start ranting away. The Nav isn't disabled while driving, only certain features of the nav system. Likewise, your statement about your bluetooth phone not working while you're driving is completely in error. You can place and receive calls "hand's-free" with a paired bluetooth phone. For the same safety concerns as the Nav system, they've disabled some of the features of the hands-free system. For example, you are limited in the ways you can place calls with your bluetooth phone while driving. Specifically, if the method would require you to stare at your nav screen for an inordinately long amount of time, that method would probably not be accessible while driving. Personally, I think this is a good thing. You still can assign name tags to stored phone numbers and use the audio commands to place calls. You can also use the speed dial method of placing calls. Like I said earlier, try pulling out your owner's manual and giving it a read. You'd be amazed at the stuff you can learn from just reading.
  • Options
    well they do not give you the manual until you buy the car and they sold it to me saying that it works as I am an outside sales rep. So I guess trading in my mercedes that had a great phone system but not bluetooth was a big mistake. So Lexus deems its drivers unworthy of using a phone while driving that is great, but what about the rest of the driving population...they are using their phone without problems. I think that they should warn people and say this phone system only works if you stop driving...well this is not 1970...if it were I would stop at a pay phone and make my calls to my 300 clients I call on a daily basis...Thanks for your imput it was really not helpful.
  • Options
    Actually, his input was very helpful. If you would abandon the hysteria for a moment and reread his email, you'd understand that you can use the phone while driving. And your comment about the manual: well they do not give you the manual until you buy the car and they sold it to me saying that it works as I am an outside sales rep.

What does this even mean? Okay, they don't give you the manual until you buy the car. Did you buy a car or not? If you did, then you got a manual. If you got one, open it up and read it. You'll see that you can use your phone while driving.
  • Options
    randyw1randyw1 Member Posts: 2
    When in doubt, read the manual.

If that fails, try doing what it says.
  • Options
    I read the manual and it says most functions that I need are not available when the car is in motion. I would like someone to tell me how you can dial a number on the touch screen while the car is moving. IT WILL NOT WORK! I bought the car specifically on the basis of the sales person telling me how wonderful the phone system is. IT DOES NOT WORK! So, yes I read the manual, thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Here's some better advice: try to buy your Mercedes back.

On the touch-screen is the last place your digits should be while the car is moving. Can you not program your frequently-dialed numbers for voice activation? Is true "hands-free" operation not the whole point here? Of course calls can be placed while in motion.

They're right: the book will give you all you need to learn to use the system.
  • Options
    I recently bought my IS250AWD and took a 1500 mile trip 3 days after the purchase. I used the phone at least a dozen times during my trip and found it to be very helpful and easy to use (only read the "short version" user's manual). I particularly enjoyed the voice activated "dial by number" command as well as the speed dial for my pre-programmed numbers. Wow ! No need to hold a cell phone or speak loud! It's a real safety feature.

I also found the Nav system to be very helpful finding my destinations and "Points of Interest" along the way.

What a great system !

I almost bought one without the Nav / Phone feature. That would have been a huge mistake. (and no, I don't work for Lexus)
  • Options
    wculbert1wculbert1 Member Posts: 16
    My take: I have a 350 IS with Nav and phone. I also have an Acura TL with Nav and phone. Acura wins, hands down! I love the IS, but on this point Lexus is behind. I agree totally with whomever made the first post ( lost track!) that the Lexus features which are turned off when in motion are bad, very bad, when compared with what it could be. Fact is, after the newness wears off, no one uses the voice stuff anyway.
  • Options
    Your opinions re: Lexus vs. Acura Nav/Phone system sound reasonable. I'm curious why you discounted the voice command features of the IS? Does this mean that the Acura doesn't have this feature or that you just don't find it useful ? Specifically, how does the Acura system "win, hands down" ?? What features does the Acura have that the Lexus doesn't ??

I find the voice activation as a safety feature and although I've only owned the car for less than a month, I use it all the time (along with the speed dial feature. I take calls in the car frequently and find the system VERY useful. It saves me time during my commute and is clearly safer than using a cell phone directly.
    I wonder if the reason that some find the phone system doesn't work well for them is that they:
    1) haven't read the instruction manual and experiemented with the system and
    2) may not have a proper blue tooth phone "paired" to the system.
    They may want to visit Lexus.com and search out the list of recommended cell phones under the BlueTooth link. Personally, I use a Motorolla PEBL phone which took me all of 2 minutes to do the inital "pairing" and has worked great ever since.
  • Options
    mikepromikepro Member Posts: 25
    Geez... calm down a bit. It is possible to override the system and do what you want, although you will have to decide if it is a wise thing to do while driving. A simple Google search for something like "Lexus nav system hack while driving" will turn up the procedure. It goes something like this:

Press the menu button, then choose system option. Then press the top left of the screen, then the bottom left of the screen, then the top left again, then the bottom left again, then finally touch the bottom right of the screen. It will bring up a system menu. Choose the override button, then hit back. If you do this while moving, you won't be able to edit until you stop the first time. If you are stopped when you do this, then you can continue to edit while moving. You can do some other crazy stuff as well, I copied my DVD from my nav system and I am going to see if I can figure out how the thing works to modify it, so that this is enabled permanently, but until then, here you go....
  • Options
    I read the manual and it says most functions that I need are not available when the car is in motion. I would like someone to tell me how you can dial a number on the touch screen while the car is moving. IT WILL NOT WORK! I bought the car specifically on the basis of the sales person telling me how wonderful the phone system is. IT DOES NOT WORK! So, yes I read the manual, thanks for the suggestion.

The phone system is wonderful. In fact, it's so wonderful that it won't allow people with impaired judgment to add further distractions to their fleeting attention spans by encouraging them to take their eyes from the road to punch buttons on a screen. It's called a safety feature. Have you not noticed the appalling statistics concerning the rise in traffic accidents since the introduction of cell phones? Is it inconceivable to you that using a nav system while the car is in motion endangers you, your passengers, and everyone around you? Can you not envision how much more efficient it is to to tell your phone to "Call Bob" than it is to look up his number in your address book, then key it in to your phone?

I don't want you to employ the hack that will allow you to use the touch screen while the car is in motion.

Hey, everyone, what say we all chip in and get this guy his Mercedes back? I think it'll be worth it.
  • Options
    "It's called a safety feature..."

Dennis gets today's first "BINGO!"

While we're at it, what moak would actually hack to play movies on the screen while the car is moving?

Morons like that are the reason we end up with over-restrictive laws that morons like that end up complaining about...

IMO, of course.
  • Options
    I think the whole point of a "hands free" phone link is the safety it provides while driving. No longer am I fumbling with a cell phone while driving, attention partly on the road and partly on the cell phone. Now, instead, I just push the audio command button and say "dial by name", or push the off-hook button and push ONE button on my nav screen to make a call. Or, If I don't have them in my car's phone book or speed dial but know the number, I hit the audio command button and say "dial by number" I mean, how much easier and safer can that be? If someone is saying some other "hands free" phone system is better because the car may give them a screen on the nav to punch in the number while driving then I say this is totally counter the concept of "hands free" and lacks as much safety as just reaching for your cell phone and placing a call. I, too, would like to know why someone thinks the Acura system is better than the Lexus system. If it's for reasons that I stated earlier, I'd say the system is worse, not better.
  • Options
    "If someone is saying some other "hands free" phone system is better because the car may give them a screen on the nav to punch in the number while driving then I say this is totally counter the concept of "hands free" and lacks as much safety as just reaching for your cell phone and placing a call..."

Rick gets today's second "BINGO!"

Well done.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    And the prizes are? ;)
  • Options
    Should be a lower insurance premium, IMNSHO!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Perfect! :P
  • Options
    navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    The GEN 5 navigation system in the IS recognizes voice commands. Just push the steering wheel switch and say, "Dial by number." Be sure to wait for the beep otherwise it won't understand your command. Press the switch on the steering wheel and say the telephone number (after the beep) in single digits. For example, to dial 888-555-1212 you would say, "8,8,8,5,5,5,1,2,1,2." If the telephone number has a '0' the system will recognize 'o' as a zero.

Be sure you have an approved Bluetooth handset by visiting:
    http://www.lexus.com/models/bluetooth/index.html
  • Options
    navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    Up to 17 speed dial numbers are available while you drive. The 18th memory position is the last received or dialed call. The next method is my favorite!

To place or receive a call use the Voice Recognition (VR) system. Press the VR switch on the steering wheel and say, "Dial by number." After the display switches to the telephone screen, press the VR switch again and say the individual digits of the telephone number. For example, 800 555 1212 is dialed by saying, "8,0,0,5,5,5,1,2,1,2." Don't use eight hundred since the system ONLY recognizes single digits.

Lastly, be sure to reduce interior noise in the cabin. Any noise will prevent the system from understanding your commands.
  • Options
    dalerb1dalerb1 Member Posts: 5
    I test drove an IS 250 over the weekend and while I was really impressed with the car, the navi screen was a bit of a concern to me. I have navi in my current car, but the bottom part of the screen is dedicated to displaying the climate setting and information on what's currently playing through the audio system. As best I can tell, in the IS, you can only display one thing at a time. I.e., if the navi map is displayed, you cannot see what temperature the climate controls are set to, nor can you see what's playing through the audio system (station tuned to, CD track playing, etc.). Am I right about that? How do current owners feel about being so "in the dark"?
  • Options
    You are partly correct. When the Navi map is displayed or the guidance system is functioning, there is no "continual display of temp/climate settings nor continual display of audio settings. If you ADJUST the temp, or change the radio station,etc. it will show you the CHANGES as they are occuring in an upper "window" of the navi screen. To me this is just fine. I don't have to be shown what the temp. is inside the cabin to know it's tooooo hot, nor do I need to know what radio station it is to know that I want something else.

Just touch the control "buttons" on the side of the screen. One is for Map. One is for Audio. One is for Climate. Just touch one and adjust as you desire from the plasma screen. Alternatively, use the old fashion radio/CD knobs and temp up or down buttons below the Navi screen. The beauty of the Navi is it's handsfree operation. Use the voice controls to do the work for you. Use it to guide you to your selected destination. Use it to make a phone call, etc.
    Wonderful electronics. I use it all the time.

Someone from this website talked me into adding the Navi to my list of options on my IS250AWD and I am very glad that I did. :)
  • Options
    dalerb1dalerb1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks toydriver. I was aware that changing any of the settings brought up the little window at the top. Maybe it's just me, but I'm used to being able to glance over at the center stack and see what's going on with the car's climate/audio system. There seems to be a trend toward a single, multi-function screen by all auto makers. I'm not sure it's one I'm all too happy with...

My current car is the first I've had with navi and I'm surprised at how much I like it. I don't think I'll ever be able to get another car again without one! :D
  • Options
    alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    On the Lexus website they only have one phone listed for Sprint PCS which is the UTStarcom PPC6700. Has anyone have experience with other phones, good or bad, with Sprint PCS and Bluetooth on the IS350?
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    anyone know how to transfer phoneebook? i got the setting on the car, but it seeems that somewhere on the phone you have to tell it to send the data - i cant figure this out.
  • Options
    i like this feature as well, but is there a way to disable the help voice - i would just like to press the button then talk rather than wait to be told what to do.

also - can you change the guidance voice?
  • Options
    iamfaymousiamfaymous Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone used an alltel phone on the system, if so have any problems.
  • Options
    where is the nav antenna located?
  • Options
    kgk3kgk3 Member Posts: 19
    You can dial on the cell phone itself and it will put the call through the bluetooth system.

Hope this helps.

kgk3
  • Options
    netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    On the 2007 IS it is I believe in the roof along with optional satelite radio in the sharkfin antanna.

Netwon
  • Options
    How about the 06? i dont see it anywhere.
  • Options
    netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    Probabley under the dash on back under in the trunk somewhere. Thats where the install is on the Avalon, in the trunk.

Netwon
  • Options
    anyone know how to activate the phone controls on the is while driving? i find it silly that toyota wont let me dial when i'm driving (or input destinations). are other nav systems / phone systems in vehciles restrictive like toyota has done?
  • Options
    kgk3kgk3 Member Posts: 19
    You can just use the phone itself to dial while driving and it will put the call through.
  • Options
    malueymaluey Member Posts: 4
    does the lexus navigation unit in the IS have text-to-speech (text-to-voice) ability? in other words, will the voice navigation tell you to "TURN RIGHT ON BROADWAY AVENUE" or will it simply say " TURN RIGHT IN ANOTHER 100 FT."? it does have voice navigation right?

and for owners having used lexus navigation/gps, is it very accurate (in terms of directions and up-to-date maps)and does it have fast response time?

any complaints about the lexus nav/gps system ? thanks!
  • Options
    alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    The lady in both my 2004 RX330 and my wifes 2006 IS350 (same lady voice) says "Exit on the right to I-880". The Nav system tells you to turn about 1/4 in advance and then again about 100 feet in advance of the actual turn.I find it accurate usually but sometimes when first starting it may be off a block or so but corrects itself in a few minutes. Maps are fairly up to date but of course when new ramps are built, etc there is about a 2-3 year lag. I live in the South San Francisco Bay area and only found a few errors such as the ramp from CA237 to I880 was on the right, changed to the left just before I bought my car so the map is incorrect. haven't bought an update DVD so don't know a newer DVD would be.hoe