Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS Bluetooth and Navigation

13»

Comments

• Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Tell the salesman to run out to the car and try saying "FM" to it. Or press the talk button and then press the Help button the screen where it will take him to the list of voice commands. I don't think it matters if you have ML or not.
  • Options
    kc567567kc567567 Member Posts: 29
    Header says it all .... my Motorola V3 linked up Ok but i lost it .... whats the best phone in the 2nd Gen IS for linking????

KC
  • Options
    optimomoptimom Member Posts: 11
    Go to http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/accessories/bluetooth.html to find a compatible phone for any Lexus.
    It will list the features that do and do not work.

For the IS, go directly to http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/product/findProducts.htm?pgId=100&dontshowdef- view=1&model=IS

You can compare up to four phones at a time.
  • Options
    Great Link..... thanks!

KC
  • Options
    ocalaocala Member Posts: 11
    Am I missing something.
    All the IS 250 models have the option for Nav +/o ML stereo.
    Each individually costs less than the combined package. Both invoice and MSRP. eg: Nav $2550, ML $940, pack $3990, for a difference of $500.
    What gives?
  • Options
    dongjohnsondongjohnson Member Posts: 7
    Hey, has any had problems importing their phone book using bluetooth? I've tried many times but as soon as the process starts, my phone loses connection with the car. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know. Thanks!
  • Options
    lexustephlexusteph Member Posts: 1
    Proud new owner of a IS250 with Navi.
    Actually setting up the BT connection went very smoothly, and i think the forced compromises between accessibility and safety while driving are just fine.
    My only problem, besides a roof microphone that seems not powerful enough, is the fact that the car's system will not allow me to use even the speed dial if i turn on my cell phone after i turn on the car's ignition.
    It actually says Out of Range, even if it said Bluetooth Connection succesful just before.
    If i come into my car with my cell phone already on, then everything is good. If i turn on the phone later, let's say while driving,or even when stopping at a red light, it won't work unless i pull over, shut down and restart the car while my cell phone is open...

Anything i can do to change this ?
    Thanks for any info.

Steph
  • Options
    herbym985herbym985 Member Posts: 2
    how can i get XM Radio in my IS 350 without it costing me $799 from Lexus and without using any old reciver and anntena from Best buy

i want to know how to make it work with my NAV

anyone

Dave
  • Options
    Depends on the phone .... my Motorola's V3 and L7 will only do one at a time ..... did them all manually my self instead.

Go here for a list of all phones and how they interface to your Lexus:

http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/product/findProducts.htm?pgId=100&dontshowdef- view=1&model=IS

KC
  • Options
    lbailylbaily Member Posts: 25
    A new nav system CD was installed in my IS350 because there is a problem with the CD that came in my 2005 "sport edition". I know other owners had the same problem.

It seems as though Lexus has removed the capability to override the nav system with the new disk. (Touch Volume, upper left, lower left, etc) Has anyone figured out how to override the system with the new disk?
  • Options
    lbailylbaily Member Posts: 25
    I meant 2006 not 2005. The override was great to have when someone else was in the car and could search while I drove.
  • Options
    neil0311neil0311 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know of a comprehensive reference of voice commands for the IS250 navi? I cannot believe that there is no reference in the manual. My mind reading skills have gotten worse as the years go by.
  • Options
    Press the talk button, then press the Help button on the screen (while parked) and most of the commands are listed there. Or print out the Prius commands (http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=5630). I think they are the same.
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    annoying feature #100 on the IS

Dial by name
    CAR TALKS FOR 5 MINUTES
    Press button two more times.

etc.

many cars are call NAME and it just dials.

any way to do this on an IS?
  • Options
    navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Jerry,

Which book are you talking about? The Owners Manual doesn't seem to list any voice commands for my Sienna? What else does it show? Is it any better than the Owners Manual?
  • Options
    Press 'MENU', then touch 'SETUP", goto page 2 of 3, touch 'OFF' for Voice Recognition Guidance. Then the system will talk back less. Works great on my Sienna.
  • Options
    i had done that a few mo0nths ago and yes it works great but it still talks to much. i would love to say CALL HOME and have it dial home
  • Options
    mrpinoymrpinoy Member Posts: 4
    hey this might be a stupid question, but does the navigation really not show local route numbers? interstate numbers are there and some state route numbers but nothing local. kinda annoying if someone tells you to follow a certain route.
  • Options
    neil0311neil0311 Member Posts: 8
    The nav shows all the state route numbers in this area, along with interstates and US routes. What route numbers aren't being shown? It also shows all the local streets. What local streets aren't being shown?
  • Options
    mrpinoymrpinoy Member Posts: 4
    i live in connecticut, and some major local route #s are not being shown, such as route 25, route 34, and even a state route 6. i've tried zooming in and out but only the road names are shown, not the numbers. pretty weird.
  • Options
    The map displayed doesn't necessarily show all names/route numbers for every road. However they are generally in the database (that is you can input addresses using both names even if you don't see them all on the map).
  • Options
    my phone/car setup only shows caller name when the number is in the car's phonebook. is this because of the phone i have or is this just the way it is with the nav system?

i am a little (more than a little) disappointed because i tried out a $600 garmin nuvi last week and not only did it show caller name that is in the phone's phonebook (not the unit's phonebook) but it also announced street names. pretty sad considering the lexus input is 4x the price and it seems to do much less.
  • Options
    I noticed today that Lexus has added a new option, if you have registered on Lexus.com, to submit a missing address or business, check to see what is available on the current map disc, check city listings and verify which DVD map disc fits your vehicle.

Go to www.lexus.com and click on OWNER at the top of the page. Just register and you will have unlimited access to these features. Remeber, you must have your VIN to register.
  • Options
    why are there so few charracters displayed on the track name and and folder (main audio) screen?

how can you get the detail screen to show all the time?

ocne again because of the lockout while driving a great feature is renedered worthless
  • Options
    billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    Hey navguy1........Do you know if there is any way to submit "suggestions" to the Lexus engineers who are charged with designing the next generation nav system? I have so many ideas I feel like they should include me in the next focus group, if they even bother with those. Do you know if anybody from Lexus even bothers to read forums like this? An email address of somebody who cares at Lexus HQ in SoCal would be great!
  • Options
    If you log onto Lexus.com and register your VIN the suggestions are collected along with map errors. I asked them to remove the 'I AGREE' screen on my IS. Also, I understand that comments for product improvement are collected by the Lexus toll-free number. I am certain that someone is analyzing the information.
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll do that.

So when do you/did you get the "I agree" screen removed from your unit? How did they make that happen?

Wouldn't it be nice if there was some acknowledgement from Lexus that they found certain suggestions attractive for future generations of navi systems, or made them part of an update package for whatever generation you had in your current vehicle? I would love it if I didn't have to wait until I get a new one to take advantage of these improvements.

HELLOOOOOOO LEXUS!!! Anybody from HQ listening out there?
  • Options
    Why not list the ideas here? Then we could all participate/discuss.

I've never heard of an "update package" for navigation (except for the map updates). From the manufacturer's standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to assign resources to add new functionality to old vehicles.
  • Options
    Great idea! The more the merrier. Let's see if we can get some people to start doing that.
  • Options
    The Nuvi doesn't show you which lane you should be in for lane guidance while driving on the interstate.

The Nuvi can be stolen and your car insurance won't cover it. It's not factory installed equipment thus a rider is required to cover the item or claim it on you homeowners insurance.

The Lexus will prevent you from travelling on restricted roads based on seasonal or time restrictions. No sense taking a route into Yosemite if its closed in the wintertime.

The Lexus will tell you what POIs are at upcoming freeway exits and guide you there with a push of a button.

The Lexus display is much larger and integrates with the stereo and climate contol systems. The navigation system will interupt the output of the speakers next to the driver for route directions. Plus, it will automatically mute the stereo when a Bluetooth call is received with a paired handset. With the Nuvi you must manually turn down the radio volume... for Bluetooth calls and turn by turn directions.

The Lexus comes with a 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty. Nuvi... one year. Maybe two if you use your AMEX.

The Lexus comes with three sensors for more accurate positioning. GPS receiver, speed pulse and gyroscope. The Nuvi only incoporates a GPS receiver unless you add a car kit. This is problematic if you enter parking structures, drive in 'urban canyons' or rural canyons.

For the $600 its not a bad deal for what you get.
  • Options
    yzfr1nyzfr1n Member Posts: 8
    We just had the same thing happen with my wife and I this past Labor day weekend. About 40 miles into our trip the I noticed the navigation system was not on a street, I then looked up at the compass in the mirror and we were traveling North as we should have been but the Navigation system had us moving south. We knew where we were going approximately but had a little trouble finding the house without the Navigation system we have become so dependent upon using.

I immediately called the Lexus dealership about ½ and hour before closing time (Thomson Lexus), explained to them the navigation system had me traveling in the wrong direction. The service representative informed there was a TSB to replace the nav DVD. I did not think the problem was with the DVD, all the DVD does is save the data, coordinates, and Points of interest. The navigation computer was probably at fault.

So I asked the service rep how to reset the navigation computer, after a 3 min hold the service rep returned with “I’m sorry sir but the only way we will be able to address this issue is if you bring the car in”. I could not do that Labor day weekend and needed the nav system the next day so hung up on the rep out of frustration, better than yelling, the rep tried but there was just a lack of knowledge on how to address the issue.

I borrowed a small adjustable wrench from our hosts and disconnected the battery for 1 min and reconnected it. The screen showed the nav system was initializing and the problem was gone ever since.

Concidering we owned the car for 17 months and this has been the only real problem, I'd say the car is running ok, the tire pressure monitor is also always going off and I’m using my compressor at home at least once a month to top off the tires, especially when it’s cold.

If this happens again to the Navigation computer I’ll expect Lexus to replace the entire navigation computer, not just the DVD.

NOTE: ALL FOUR WINDOWS HAVE TO BE RESET AFTER DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY!!!!!!!!
    This is easily done by holding the window down button on each door control for about 20 sec, you will hear a slight tick if your quiet.
  • Options
    The countermeasure DVD map disc the service advisor offered you, and hopefully installed, had the corrective firmware on it to correct the anomolly you were experiencing.
  • Options
    sandy_eggosandy_eggo Member Posts: 7
    Hi All-
    After a large amount of complaining, Lexus finally reimbursed me for the cost of the Nav system (because you cannot override it any more and like many buyers, I was not told).

More information is at www.LexusOverride.com .
  • Options
    they coughed up $3k! wow, how did you go about it? it must have been a dfull time job.
  • Options
    dmoeller17dmoeller17 Member Posts: 13
    yes we still use cd's, obviously the systems in these cars are not hifi systems and i doubt you can tell a difference between mp3's and good cd audio. however at home i can tell easily which is the downconverted version
  • Options
    billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Leased 09 IS250 in June. Less than 4 k miles. Nav system works only occasionally.
    Usually it will not recognize the town or street [voice activated or keyed in] As a college graduate and retired high school teacher I am totally capable of speaking or typing in BROAD ST. The Nav voice responds FULTON ST. If typed in it will NOT RECOGNISE OR ALLOW "BROAD ST"..I HAVE APPOINTMENT on Tues. Dec. 29th with dealer, Cherry Hill Lexus. Question..........Can they replace the entire Nav System with a new one? Reprogram it? Totally disgusted in NJ.
  • Options
    toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Be patient with the Nav. I have an '06 IS and noticed some "issues" at first with it. It seemed to take some time to become "use" to my voice inflections, etc. Also, I noticed some street names are listed incorrectly in the software. For example, "avenue" might be substituted for "street"; "north broad street" rather than "broad street"; and, of course, new streets may not be recognized by "older" software.

I have noticed that it works much better for me now than it did during the first few months that I owned the car. Mine is a touch screen system, which I much prefer over the other Lexi "dial/click" system which they seem to have copied from Acura and the Germans. Not sure which system you have on the '09 IS ?

Just think of the Nav as a student with "special needs". ;-)
    Frankly, I much prefer mine to others that I have used. A computer programmer buddy of mine who drives an Acura RL says that he prefers the Nav on my Lexus to his.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    edited June 2011
    A total dittos for your comments on the benefits of the Lexus (or now Ford too) in car-nav systems as opposed to the Garmin. I have a Garmin as well, for when I rent a car, nice, but can't touch the Toyota or Ford systems anymore. I've never had a problem with mine in any of my 3 Lexuses.

You can get the best, most current, and cutting edge Nav system in the Ford Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, all the economy or mainline cars, not just the luxury lines now, so why be without it? The Lexus system was cutting edge in 05, but has been way surpassed by Ford now, however, an update is now under development by Denso, and when released, it should eclipse even the Ford system.

IMO, Garmin is the second best option. It’s not bad, but it’s far from great.
  • Options
    vballplayer30vballplayer30 Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2008 Lexus IS 250. I got into a bad accident end of July on the passanger side of the car. It took over a month to repair and get back. Unfortunately, the bluetooth has stopped working. When I 1st got it back, it was working 50/50. I would typically, restart the car /andor the phone and it would work some of the time. Then I tried deleting my phone completely from the car and starting from scratch. That worked for exactly 2x's. Now it won't work at all. I went to the mechanic and he has no clue. We actually tried to link his phone to my car and it couldn't connect with the car. I called my carrier, the maker of the phone (LG), and Lexus. At this point, i know it has to be the car. I've never had a problem with the bluetooth since I owned it. I've used this phone with the car for months before the accident and never had a problem. Lexus wants to charge me 250$ just to diagnose the problem...not to fix it!! Hoepfully, someone out there has had a similar problem. Was told by a mechanic to disconnect the battery and try hooking it back up...I plan on trying that. May also take it to a car stereo place to see if they can diagnose the problem. Anyone encounter this problem or have any suggestions?
  • Options
    Sounds like the Bluetooth module which could be inseparable from the head unit. Expensive. Maybe you could it fixed by insurance as residual damage from the accident.
  • Options
    vballplayer30vballplayer30 Member Posts: 27
    Yeah, I spoke to the adjuster from the ins company...he said I would have to pay for it and then they would have to determine if it was accident related...sounds like a blow off and I would have a real tough time getting my money back! It's obviously accident related...really frustrating!
  • Options
    lvebenallvebenal Member Posts: 1
    I own 2 Lexus vehicles, a 2008 RX400H, and 2010 ISC 350C. The RX400H nav map was recently upgraded to the most recent map. The work was done by Lexus, and I have the disk.
    I would like to know how to install the map upgrade in the 350C. Dumb question: Is it as simple as inserting the dvd into the dvd player, and letting it read it? Any advice?
    Thanks
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    If it is DVD driven, yes, it's that simple. Order one off the internet from a Lexus dealer somewhere, and put it in.

If it's a hard - drive system though, it's not so simple. IF you can find the flash drive for sale, and the USB port, you can do it yourself, but if you can't find either, you are at the mercy of the dealer again, as I was in my LS.