Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 2006

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    " Does anybody have definitive, I mean reliable, "insider" information as to what changes/deletions/additions will be on the 2006 GXP vs. the limited-run '05s? "

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2005&regionID=1&divisionID=7&t- - ype=0&vehicleID=896&section=modelhome&page=&butID=1
    2022 X3 M40i
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Thanks. I guess the '06 model info isn't out yet.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    The '06 model will be getting some packaging changes and chrome trim on the interior. GM is adding more standard equipment to it's '06 models and this includes the Grand Prix. Remote start will be standard on GT and GXP as well as side airbags. I think this is all part of the plan to bring prices down. I dont think a loaded GXP will cost $35K in '06 because the options are packaged together for savings.
  • olpalgaryolpalgary Member Posts: 5
    We picked up our Dark Cherry GXP on June 6th, mostly Wife s driver... But iv'e put 200 miles on it, & i'm impressed... I think the 260 horse GTP is history..
    So far the computer says we're avg 18.8 mpg in mixed city & hightway driving..
    I did my research & found it on GMBuyer page before dealer new it was shipped..
    So i got 1st dibs on it.. Allready had a trade & deal worked out when he told me about GM Employee Priceing which saved us another $300 or so.. Originally he wouldn't sell for GMS which we qualified for.. [stating popularity & demand] All's well cause we relly like this car..
    My wife had the reg. GT which we traded in for a little over 3 yrs & 57000 miles & she hated to part with it cause it was one of the Last GT Coupes & with beatifull red maroon pait..... But she's mighty happy with the the new GXP

Besides GM having built in the price for Onstar & shoving XM Sat Radio down our throats.. [oughta be a class action to retrieve $600 to $ 800 on each car] they have jacked up pricing over the years to cover themselves on leasing ,, & then Lutz wonder why people aren't buying their cars anymore.. Letting designs stagnate, put this 5.3 V8 in a Bonneville SLE & see how many you'll sell with a little facelifting on the bodywork also.. Losing all their Marque names Deville, SEville, Park AVenue, Lesabre, Bonneville & other s
    "Thanks. I guess the '06 model info isn't out yet. "

Oops - old link. Obviously I did not update it for 2006.

Thanks, bigdaddycoats, for updating the link . . .

I would not be terribly surprised if the 2006 MSRP for many GM vehicles was reduced.

I would be VERY surprised, however, if GMS less $2K rebate was available on a 2006 GXP anytime soon. This is the primary reason I am trying to find a 2005 GXP, equipped as I want (basically everything except NAV) at a dealer that treats customers with honesty and respect. Both local dealers I have tried to do business with still employ tactics I find (um) distasteful. I will not waste my time in endless negotiation. I have done my homework / due diligence / research. I will not pay hundreds of $$s in paint protection - “The First Place Finish is applied to all of our vehicles when they arrive, in order to protect the finish while in our inventory.”

Ironic that in a ‘lecture’ at the dealer about GM quality, the manager I quote above (from a follow up email) did not mention that GM quality paint and finish will apparently not stand up to even a few weeks of being parked outdoors at a dealership without aftermarket products applied . . .
    (sigh)

- Ray
    The quest continues . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • brianr1brianr1 Member Posts: 19
    I have the remote and auto dual zone. The manual states that after remote starting the system will cool or heat depending upon what I set last. I had an aftermarket and this basically turned on all accessory power so if I left the AC in max it would come on.

Now, when I remote start, no accessory power comes on, but the fans do blow but not very cold air. The radio and dual climate temps do not come on. Does anyone else have this problem or is it designed not to fully use the AC? I haven't tried setting the controls to auto, but have left them in manual.

Also, I get static from the monsoon speakers when the radio is off or muted and also when I open the doors to get in the car (after ~10 secs, it stops). A sound person said the amps aren't turning off and picking up interference. Anyone else have this? It's really faint so the only time I hear it if it's quiet outside.

Thanks
  • bryanttarvinbryanttarvin Member Posts: 23
    Hey Ray,

I was looking on the GM Buypower website a few days ago to find out if any dealers had new Grand Prix GXPs in my area and found that Carl Black Pontiac just up the highway from you in Kennesaw, GA just off Barrett Parkway has several new GXPs that you may want to check out according to the virtual window stickers that I looked at. You may even want to test drive one again to check out all the things that you mentioned in your first test drive writeup that you didn't get to experience.

They even have a Dark Cherry Metallic GXP. It is the same color used by Oldsmobile for the Collector's Edition Final 500 Oldsmobiles. I have a 2003 Final 500 Aurora, so I know!

By the way, I am not in Atlanta or Kennesaw and I have not driven one yet.

Hope this helps!

Bryant
  • spdrushspdrush Member Posts: 15
    I just took delivery on a dark cherry GXP with all options except nav and side airbags. Now have 600 miles on it. Love the car, Fit and finish perfect. Good power and very little torque steer except at full throttle.
    My only disappointment is the four speed as it needs another gear.
    This is my third W-body previous GTP and Regal GS. Am getting 17 mpg city and country combined.
    Other auto is a C5 Vette 6 speed, very tweaked, air box, headers,exhaust, mass air flow, Hyperchip and Z-51 suspension.
    The GXP is close to the handling of the Vette as long as one remembers FWD and sedan body.
    At 90 mph the GXP settles down and is on rails.
    I am very happy.
    The Monsoon could be better as I have Bose in the Vette.
    Good car, good price, attracts attention all positive. It makes the Dodge Charger look like a refrigerator.
    “Carl Black Pontiac just up the highway from you in Kennesaw, GA just off Barrett Parkway has several new GXPs”

Thanks! I do check GMBuypower – have every day for months.

I did go to Carl Black – last Saturday AM. It is close to 50 miles round trip from where I live – Duluth. I had been in touch with 1 of their ‘Internet / GMBuypower guys’ in advance. Drove the Dark Cherry w/NAV (35K+) but could not even come close to a sales deal I thought reasonable.

I am driving this PM to try to close a deal.

- Ray
    Discouraged (but probably should not be surprised) to find GM dealers using some (um) unsettling tactics . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Congrats, now if you new owners could do me a favor and let me know if your remote start engages the AC to actually cool the car, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • dlucas86dlucas86 Member Posts: 4
    Brian,

I was playing around with the remote start in my Greystone GXP and I did in fact notice that same thing - the fans were blowing, but not cold. It doesn't appear to engage the AC. Hopefully it will engage the heat in the winter. I'll go out and try it again this afternoon just to make sure.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with this car. It has incredibly smooth power, corners like no car I have ever driven, and has a turning radius that is quite remarkable. I did a u-turn in a spot where my Regal GS has to do a 3-point turn. I'm getting about 20MPG in hwy and around town driving. I could get a lot more if it wasn't so tempting to depress that gas pedal and leave some tailgating Maxima in the dust.

They just came out with 05 GXP literature which is quite good. The main brochure opens up to a full size poster of the GXP and the GTO side by side. I took 2 of the 3 copies my dealer had since he was not going to get any more 05's and the 2 he got were sold.

Devin
  • dlucas86dlucas86 Member Posts: 4
    I just checked it (and took some more oogling co-workers out for a spin) Nope. No AC, just hot air. That doesn't bother me that much. The only time I would use remote start is in the winter when I don't need the AC. The car cools down pretty fast when you just hop in and fire up the AC, so I don't ever anticipate needing to remote start it in the summer. If I lived in Florida and parked it outside in the summer, then maybe....

Devin
    I bought a GXP this PM.

More later, but for now:

After driving it for a quick eval. / shake-down in the west NC mountains, buying it, and driving back home - I am very, very pleased with the car and with my decision to travel (125 miles each way) to another state to buy it – as the buying experience was simple, honest and straightforward in every respect.

Black. XM. Premium Audio. Leather / Suede (Heated) Front Seats. Dual Zone A/C. Sunroof.

MSRP: $33,000.

Torque.

Exhaust.

Yum!

More impressions, etc. when I have more time . .

- Ray
    GXP owner (finally!)
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Sweet, congrats!!!
    Link to 1 pic.
    Taken a few miles from the Dealer in teh mountains of west NC - before I hit rain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/P1070229test17x.jpg
    2022 X3 M40i
    I guess in TX I'd like the AC to come on with the remote start more so than the heat in the winter. Anyway thanks for trying it on yours.

BTW, SpeedTV is having a half-hour show on the GTO vs. GXP on 6/12 at 1630 EST. You can check the listings at Speedtv.com. I don't get the channel, but those you do, please let us know what it was about.
    "SpeedTV is having a half-hour show on the GTO vs. GXP on 6/12 at 1630 EST"

My understanding is that the 'event' is GTO vs (what GM deems to be) its competition - and GXP vs its competition.

I don't believe that these 2 will actually be tested / presented as a 'head to head' contest. For a variety of reasons.
    - Ray
    With VCR set . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Okay, no purple - I finally got to see one in the flesh today. Its the only one in PDX area (Maybe the NW - although there was a blue-green one in Bremerton, WA - must have sold it)
    This is a dark cherry and the color looks a different tone than the 2002 40th anniversary GP which had dark cherry. It had all options except the Nav system or 6 CD Monsoon stereo. I didn't get a test drive - the sales folks were in an early morning meeting. Probably a good thing as I would likely have bought it home and then try to explain myself. (Well, hell I am getting close to using a mid life crisis excuse.) It may happen yet. :D
    New GXP – First tank fill:

This 305 miles included my test drive and SEVERAL “test drives” by friends. (sigh.)

DIC: 18.8
    Math (Excel): 19.8

Unless the dealer filled it up to the very top of the filler neck, I am somewhat surprised at the difference between the 2 numbers. I filled it where I typically do – and to the first shut-off.

Next fill will (clearly) be MUCH more representative, as most of this tank will likely be my normal commute. (Is driving into and out of Mid-Town Atlanta actually “normal”?)

I filled the tank before I drove to work this AM. This was a typical morning drive, leaving the gas station at just after 6 AM and driving approx. 22 miles to work. The DIC showed 24.6 mpg as I pulled off the Interstate for the final 2 miles or so of surface streets to my office.

This is a pretty good number, given: A/C on all the way. (Not hot at that hour, but pretty humid!) Traffic (as is typical) was moving at 65 to 82 in the far left lane. No way to safely use cruise. Probably minimal opportunity for DoD to contribute. BTW: The EPA highway test MAXIMUM speed is still 60 mph.

Based on this VERY limited sample, I expect that the 27 MPG highway estimate could be achieved in an “open road, light traffic, steady 70+ mph” scenario. And that is what I was hoping for.

Anyway, I will post more as I accumulate miles / tank fills.

- Ray
    Very happy GXP driver . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • mitsurobmitsurob Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone know if the GM credit card rebate can be used on the GXP in addition to the current GM employee + rebate pricing?
    Again (skip if you don’t care about background) I have been driving RWD or AWD cars the past 5 years or so. MSRP on my last 3 has been approx. $38 – 42K. I have enjoyed each of them. I will refer to at least 2 other cars here, 1 – The 2003 Lincoln LS V8 Sport that I traded in, and 2 – The 2006 M45 Sport that I test drove 3 times, and did not buy. (Details below, in case anyone cares.)

Given that the GXP is FWD. And given that the MSRP is $33K with everything available except NAV and side airbags. And given an actual transaction price of something just below $27K (my paperwork is in the car) this qualifies as a ‘screaming bargain’, in my book. OK, a ‘deep, throbbing, rumbling, V8 rapping exhaust’ bargain???

The FWD advantages are well publicized. The downsides, particularly for a high power / high torque application (torque steer, front weight bias) have been addressed so well in the GXP that I do not see them as significant.

My experience and observations (in somewhat random order) so far:

Upon arrival at the dealership in NC (previously only in touch via email and telephone) I was able to take a quick evaluation / shake-down run. Alone. I could have driven longer, but having driven 3 previously, I really just wanted to make certain that there were no issues with this particular example. I did quickly find a tightly twisting side road just off US 441 / 23 (in Dillsboro, NC) to check the steering response and handling (at 6 tenths or so – unfamiliar road, no runoff areas or shoulders) under those conditions. Very nice. Fun.

Then I drove home. Trip is about 125 miles, generally south and then southeast, starting with typical NC / North GA mountain (tall hill?) area road conditions. A lot of up then down grades – as much as (posted) 7%. Not great for gas mileage. Some road construction. Some small towns with lowered speed limits. Generally well maintained roads. Then a 50+ mile run down I985 to I85 back toward the north side of Atlanta. Ran at 65 to 75 most of this leg. A couple of blasts over 80. Just because I wanted to . . . Traffic was building as I approached the I985 / I85 split, so I took Satellite Blvd for several miles – see below.

Then I drove my typical commute into Mid-Town and (and back) . . Fuel mileage: Based on a VERY limited sample (1 tank, details on the mileage thread), I expect that the 27 MPG highway estimate could be achieved in an “open road, light traffic, steady 70+ mph” scenario. And that is what I was hoping for. For such a performance level, for a car with a (relatively speaking) big honkin’ V8, for a car that I drive to enjoy, I am quite satisfied – and will continue to be even more satisfied, if I can achieve 26 or 27 mpg on long, primarily highway trips!

The ride is excellent under almost all conditions. Overall I rate it (surprisingly) actually slightly better than my Lincoln LS. It is clearly better when traversing a set of RR tracks I drive over several times each week. It is as good an my LS in a few other areas, and not quite as good in only a couple. (Fortunately, the ride in not any worse in any circumstances I encounter regularly! Worn concrete surfaces, like long, slightly bowed upward, bridge deck sections, with ridged expansion joints between the slabs, for example, it handles just a bit worse. It starts to set up a slight harmonic that I’d likely find quite annoying if I experienced it very often. And the tires do transmit some ‘thump’ over any short, sharp bump, like on broken pavement. Often, this is as much perceived as noise, rather than much wheel / tire motion pass through. And any such abrupt motion is quickly smothered by the Bilsteins.)

Now, I am not suggesting that there is no impression that you are turning fairly hefty sized front tires (255 / 45 x 18) supporting a large percentage of the total vehicle weight. Just that it is an awareness without any real attendant downside. . . The GXP goes where I intend, it deals with application of power while turning with surprising grace. It always feel tied down and very well damped.

Coming back from NC, I drove it down a stretch of Satellite north of Pleasant Hill Rd. in Gwinnett County (North of Atlanta, GA) to further evaluate the handling and ride. This is not a challenging stretch because of broken pavement or because you can explore the outer limits of the handling envelope. You can’t, and I would not on public roads, anyway. And there are rather high curbs and no shoulders for the entire length I drive. The challenge here is more because at even the speed limit and a bit above (45 – 50 mph) the almost continual varying radius turns combined with rolling elevation changes and many areas where the pavement has settled, developing sharp dips and longer amplitude drops and rises stresses up / down and side to side damping. This combination really tests the total suspension tuning of any car I have driven here. The GXP again felt extraordinarily well damped and controlled without significant harshness. Kudos.

The seats are quite comfortable. Lumbar support adjustability is excellent – the ability to move the support up and down as well is appreciated. And the seat bottom front raises / rear lowers = excellent support when I want it for my thighs. I expect that the wide range of seat adjustability will be useful on long drives, minimizing fatigue.

Aside: 1/2 of lumbar adjustment (up / down, I expect) goes away for 2006 – 4 way becomes 2 way . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Part II

The instruments and displays are clear and arranged logically. The controls are arranged sensibly and work well – mostly intuitive. I do not find the trim quality offensive. It is not an Audi interior (another thread) but it appears well screwed (welded, snapped, glued) together and nothing strikes me as misaligned or mis-fitted. Overall build quality is acceptable to me. I have noticed no body / chassis flex and no squeaks or rattles - so far.

The engine lights almost immediately. I happen to find the mechanical sound of the starter grinding as the motor turns over somewhat irritating . .

The TAPShift manumatic function works very well, resulting in excellent (quick but well damped) up and downshifts when requested. This is a key point for me, and I am quite pleased. Amazingly, I would place shift response and execution above the 5 speed manumatic in my LS. Downshifts would be a bit better if the GXP has the really trick ‘rev match on downshift’ that the M45 does have. Oh, well. They are still well done.

I enjoy the big torque low down style of power delivery. A very personal preference, clearly. And I also prefer the low RPM at cruise. 2,000 rpm is over 70 mph. Just a bias - one of mine that is not entirely logical. At steady cruise, the exhaust fades into the general background noise, and is covered by the stereo even at low volume.

The brakes are powerful and linear in response. Confidence inspiring.

Outward visibility is excellent. The inside and outside mirrors are placed and sized nicely to allow me to deal with Hot-Lanta area (NUTS!) traffic.

Oh, did I mention that I enjoy the acceleration? The ‘lunge’ in first or second gear is entertaining. And the exhaust tone / volume is just right. For me. (Such a childish pleasure, for one so old – sigh.) It certainly does feel quicker than my LS. And the smooth, strong, immediate power delivery leaves me with a feeling of effortlessness. And it feels like the quickness is right up there with the M45, once rolling, though the GXP is likely more of a challenge to launch - if absolute, maximum timed acceleration is required. I will be interested to read additional instrumented tests, when published. . .

And I am enjoying XM. This is my first experience with Satellite Radio. I will be buying a subscription, for several reasons.

Bottom Line. For me, at this point in time (with GMS pricing) this GXP is the ideal compromise for what I need – and what I want. There is no significant flaw – for me. And the value proposition is valid, again - for me.

I was thinking while stuck in traffic on Friday evening that one thing I really appreciate (as a [very] long time computer programmer, systems analyst, and IT manager) is the complete systems approach taken in the GXP. They did not just increase the HP and TQ. They devised an exhaust system that convincingly mimics a true dual system sound, and featuring low restriction. They also developed a thoroughly improved braking system, and completely revised suspension that works very well with the much larger wheel / tire package. They cleaned up the front & rear fascias. Etc. Etc. A systems approach. Works for me. (Obviously.)

Yes, I expect that the depreciation on the GXP will be steep. It was on my ’97. It was on every car I have bought recently. That’s just the way it is. And assuming I pile on miles as I have recently, I will be out of the original GM warrantee in around 2 years. Trade or buy MasterGuard extended warrantee coverage??? A decision for another day . .

Just my opinions . .
    - Ray
    Truly sad to see that GM has such problems, when SOME of their products are exceptional!!!

= = =

My 2003 Lincoln LS V8 Sport. I drove this car just over 25,000 miles in 17 months. It is documented at roughly high 14s at 96 mph in the quarter. RWD. 3.9L V8, HP / TQ = 280 / 286. Weight approx. 3800. Shod with 235 / 50 x 17 Michelins (not very sporty – I would likely have replaced them with Pilot Sport A/S, had I kept the car much longer . .)

The 2006 M45 Sport is quite a car. If I decided to buy a car in this price class, this is what I’d buy. It ** IS ** , however, in the $50K (or more) price range. With possible discounts to $1,000 / $1,500 over Invoice, if one is willing to travel. Point is: Much, much more expensive than a GXP. I in no way mean to say or imply that this car is a direct competitor to the GXP. At very low 14s to very high 13s, it appears a bit quicker than the GXP. I decided on the GXP largely due to the fact that (for me) the GXP delivers 90% or even 95+% of the enjoyment of a $50K car, for something like 60% of the cash . . . And I can always find other things (including more $$s to my 401(k) ) to do with the difference!
    2022 X3 M40i
  • burryburry Member Posts: 37
    I was told no several years ago. Don't know if it has since changed.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Does anyone know if the GM credit card rebate can be used on the GXP in addition to the current GM employee + rebate pricing?

I believe that you can use ANY GM Card with the current "employee price" promotion, up to the redemption limit on that particular car, if your GM Card has a redemption limit...

--Robert
  • jjunkjjunk Member Posts: 12
    If you are a GM Employee purchasing through the NVPP (New Vehicle Purchase Program) you can not use GM Card Earnings. There is a special card, GM Extended Family, that is useable for employee purchases but only earns 1%.

That said I can find no indications that a regular consumer can not use their GM Card earnings with this promotion. There are reports that GM Card reps have stated earnings are eligible with this program.
    Car_man, "Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments" #2974, 5 Jun 2005 6:05 pm
    There are also reports of some dealers saying yes and others no. I never really trust the dealers.
    Since this money doesn't come from the dealer they have no interest as long as they get paid. The dealer has to get approval before deducting the card discount anyway so get them to call.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    there's no getting around the inherent advantage to an ohv design v8 over a ohc valve-trane. the instant bottom end response is one reason why i kep my 90..the 4.5 makes 245 torque instantly off idle...nothing like an ohc...that's why you sense such a difference between the 3.9 and the small block...the numbers on most ohc engines, are misleanding...their power is mostly at the top end of the power curve...mostly unusable for around town driving.

it's interesting that you note the difference in the starting procedure...generally, i have found that ohc engines crank longer before they start while ohv's will fire immediately...not important, but once you get used to an instant start it is disconcerting. it sounds like the small block has a pretty radical cam grind and that might be causing the longer crank.

the biggest drawback i see to the gxp, actually, the entire line of gp's...is the dash...it's downright offensive with the three different shapes of round dash vents, oval dic and rectangular stereo...please...those days should be gone in inteior design. but alas, gm has got big problems and this is just emblematic of them trying to save money in a cut throat business. jackg 90seville 97k
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Congrats and great review. For the money the GXP is pretty hard to beat right now. Continue to give us updates.

441 through northern Georgia is sooooo beautiful. I used to live in Athens and we would take 441 trough the smokey mts to go home to Michigan.
    There is nothing in the fine print stating No that I see and I have always been able to use my points (not a GM employee) in addition to any pricing and discounts - no quibbles from the dealer.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Did anyone see the show on SpeedTV? I saw it on sunday. It was mostly about the GTO but they did show the GXP for about 5 minutes. The test driver seemed impressed considering it was a front wheel drive car. Interestingly enough the GXP had no more body roll than the GTO when speeding through corners at the track. They compared it to the 330, Maxima and G35 automatic and the GXP beat the Maxima in every category and the other two in some categories.
  • dembratsdembrats Member Posts: 8
    Just bought a greystone on Monday. I had $416 on my GM Card. When the dealer called it in, GM Card bumped the amount up to $916 for me.

Loving the car so far.
    Do you know why the GM card bumped your amount up to $916 if you only had $416? Seems odd they would add even more to your credit card rebate, but I wouldn't mind any.!
  • jjunkjjunk Member Posts: 12
    For those who have been waiting for the GXP review Rayainsw mentioned a couple weeks ago the dates were wrong. In a post between Ray and Editor_Karl, Karl apologizes for the incorrect date. They will receive the GXP on July 6.
  • daveradavera Member Posts: 13
    There is a $500 bonus added to GM cards on the Grand Prix. With my GM card bonus and rebates I got my GXP for $25.6K. The sticker was $33K. That was last month before the employee discount promo.
    That makes sense. Seems like each month GM has a different promotion. In the end it sounds like you can end up with the same bottom line depending on how they package all their promos.
    Just wonder what promotion they will have in July or even August. I was really wanting to wait closer to August to buy something...but the current offers seem to be a good deal. Does anyone have any insider info on what promos might be like for July or August?? Would be great if they continued the current employee discounts till then.
  • bxd20bxd20 Member Posts: 68
    We have confirmed info that the remote start SHOULD turn on the AC. GM knows about this, and a reprogram of the PCM should fix the situation. I haven't heard when it will be ready or how everyone will be notified.
    GM Card sent out Bonus offers a while back - $1000 on selected models and $500 off others - expires end of June. The GP has a $500 GM Card points bonus.
    I'm going to look at a Dark Cherry w/Ebony leather tomorrow. (This dealer sold the Dk Cherry one I saw last weekend) It's loaded except for the Navigation system. (I could do w/o the sunroof, but... Its got XM + 6 CD changer and I love both.)

MSRP $33395; GMS after rebates of $27637 - then I can use $2000 off my card points plus $500 bonus and they said they will give me what I asked on trade in for my 2002 GA.
    Will update later on if I go for it or not. ;)
  • jbmjbm Member Posts: 29
    I heard (in other 2004-05 Grand Prix models) that the rear seat lacked sufficient padding and was not roomy. Does the GXP's rear seat have more padding than the other '04-'05 models? I presume the rear seat isn't roomier than the other '04 and '05s though. True?
    no, same as other GP's - but with the leather option the rear seats get the suede inserts also.
    Thanks for the definitive answer; I'm still waiting for a reply from GM. I guess it'll be probably be winter before they can get the fix out.
    Here is a link to some further, detailed information on how it is supposed to work. . .

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/nov03/TLNov03e.html

- Ray
    Tech junkie . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Thanks, so we just don't get the "FULL COLD" on RVS. Do you know of the email address to bother them some more and get them in gear or should we just wait?

Brian
    Test Drive - Oh Boy! Resistance was futile.
    Dark Cherry Metallic
    Leather w/inserts & Heated seats - Ebony/Dk Pewter
    Premium Audio w/ 6 CD Changer - Monsoon System
    Sunroof
    Curtain Side Impact Airbags
    XM Radio
    Auto Dual zone A/C
    Remote Starter
    plus all the std stuff like DOD V8, OnStar, HUD, TC, Stabilitrak, etc...
    MSRP $33,395
    GMS29686.98
    - $2000 rebate
    - $2000 GM Card points
    - $500 GM Bonus cash
    + $168 License & Title fees
    My Price $25,354.98
    There is nothing that comes close to this car with its options and performance for the price.
    I've only driven it ~ 25 miles home on the back roads (Fwy grid lock Friday night)
    Sticks to the road like the tires have glue, ride is taut but compliant, not harsh over pavement breaks, rough spots, acceleration is quick, powerful and endless...
    I will take it over some of my usual byways this weekend and will have a much better feel of it - but it is impressive. GM didn't just gussy up the GP it did some re-engineering and it shows. :D
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    A guy over in the 2006 Impala SS forum provided us with this link about the LS4:

http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/whats%20new/PWT%202005i%20LS4.doc

The DOD system sure looks complicated! I was thinking of buying either a Gran Prix GXP, Monte SS, or Impala SS, but now I'll just wait and see how reliable the new V-8 motor is.
    "GM didn't just gussy up the GP it did some re-engineering and it shows"

Agreed.
    ENJOY!
    - Ray
    With 575 miles of enjoyment "in the book" so far . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    Since folks are driving and actually own the new GXP GP isn't it finally time this thread moves over to the sedans forum?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yup - how's tomorrow sound? :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"Yup - how's tomorrow sound?"

That would be lovely!
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    GXP driver . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome from your new host. Carry on and have fun!! :shades: