Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 2006

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Will the added power make this Grand Prix a hit?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    We'll see, but as I understand it, at least the initial run of the GXP will be a 2005, not 2006, though the Chevy 'versions' will be a 2006.

- Ray
    Thinking 40+ more HP and 40+ more TQ than the GTP at the same curb weight makes it interesting, at least . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Maybe - having owned both the 3800's (normally aspirated & supercharged); even though the GTP had 40 more hp & 50 ft-lbs than the GT. With the enhanced TC, the GTP had less torque steer and wheel spin. I expect Pontiac has played with the TC, it will also have Stabilitrak and the GXP will have larger(wider) front tires. The aluminum V8 doesn't appear to have affected the weight balance much, so the GXP will be fun. I can't wait to drive one.
  • avs007avs007 Member Posts: 100
    I wonder what the average selling price will be. I configured one on Edmunds, and got a tmv of a Shade under 36K. That seems pretty Steep.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    They shouls have given the GXP more standard equipment. I was surprised by the loaded price of $35K+. I cant believe they didnt make leather and the uplevel sound system standard.
    The GXP will have most of the upgrades of the GTP + Comp G package (HUD,Stabilitrak,TAP shift...) I've read that Pontiac will price the GXP at ~$29k. with some options $32k-$33k will load one up nicely. It could go to $35k but they will be pushing their luck.
    The GXP is only 17 lbs heavier than the GTP so HP to weight ration improves.
    Check out this link for the equipment and options:
    http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?year=2005&regionID=1&divisionID=7-
    Obviously they are pricing it in anticipation of rebates. I dont think $30K is too much considering the power of this car, but $35K loaded isnt going to work. They made the performance hardware standard, but not the luxury features.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    I have to disagree with the GTP having LESS torque steer and wheel spin then a GT, having owned a 1997 and now 2002 GTP coupe and driven many renta car GT sedans.. my GTP has DEFINITELY MUCH MORE Wheelspin and a little more torque steer then the GT did. That was stock. Of course now with 300+ modified hp, it really has wheelspin, LOL!

One easy change I have done to all my GTP is get rid of the avg P225 60 16 tire size and PUT P245 50 16, fit perfectly fine and doesn't mess up your ABS/traction at all. That way you get more traction and better handling, works for me. It also slightly lowers the car with that tire size, looks nice!
    My GTP had the enhanced TC and my GT the std. TC. The ETC got the spin and torque steer under control much better. I could spin both very well, but the ETC was less erratic.
    The ETC and ABS control systems on the GTP is by Bosch, GM/Delphi or whoever used to do the TC/ABS on the GT. Not sure today about the GT. Regardless it is still too much power for a front drive car. Should have been rear drive. Oh well.
    My understanding is that the new GXP V8 GP will have the same EPA rating as the CompG (18 / 27) but with 43 more HP an increase in TQ also by 43, and essentially the same vehicle weight . . .

Not too shabby.
    - Ray
    Waiting for the GXP to be available for test drives . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    When I went to the autoshow in January the Ponitac info on hand said teh GXP would be out in April. I dont know if that's true or not because they have not updated the website with any info regarding the GXP.
    From articles I have seen production was supposed to start this month (March) which usually means deliveries 6 - 8 weeks out minimum. Pontiac has been very quiet about the launch and not putting out any updates that I have seen.
    I can't wait to take one out for a test drive and see how it compares to the current GTP. The suspension modifications should improve control and handling.
    LS4 link:

http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/2005%20HPT%20Library/Gen%20IV/2005i_- - - 5300_LS4_Grand_Prix_GXP.pdf

Looking at the Graphs for 3 motors (the LS4 5.3L V8, the Northstar 4.6 and the ‘old’ L67) I find the following of interest:

= = = = = = 5.3L . . . . 4.6 . . . . L67

HP @ 2000 . 115 . . . . 100 . . . . 100
    TQ @ 2000 . 300 . . . . 265 . . . . 250

HP @ 3000 . 180 . . . . 150 . . . . 160
    TQ @ 3000 . 310 . . . . 275 . . . . 270

HP @ 4000 . 245 . . . . 225 . . . . 220
    TQ @ 4000 . 320 . . . . 295 . . . . 280 (past peak)

[these numbers are approximate, from these dyno curves - trying to line this data up as a chart . . .]

Point being, compared to the L67 (a known and appreciated torque generator) and the Northstar (I have driven the new STS with this version of the motor – it is technically sophisticated, expensive to produce and I certainly respect it), this new 5.3L V8 quoted output is quite impressive. At least on paper.

I end up spending a LOT of my drive time with the motor turning between 2000 and 4000 rpm. The torque available in this range is more important to me (most of the time) than peak horsepower.

The 5.3L LS4 generates more torque and more horsepower at every point from 2000 to 4000 rpm than either of these other motors.

I am looking forward to driving this car.

- Ray
    Admitted torque addict . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    The rep at the NY Auto Show said the GP GXP pricing will start at around $30,000 - Which is around $4000-$5000 less than the Bonneville GXP and you sacrifice nothing - Bonneville is not nearly as ergonomic as GP and both appear to be almost the same size. The GP GXP HP is rated higher than Bonnevilles (290 Vs. 275). I will still want to test drive this thing first - I am a big heavy guy and I need a big heavy car to combat the NYC highways. I'm not sure how durable anything smaller than an Impala SS or Lexus 330 will be. As it stands right now the GP GXP is the most perfect balance of performance & luxury I saw at the auto show for the $30000 - $36000 MSRP Price range.
    The GP GXP will be a much better buy then GXP BOnny was. Actually the GP GXP is rated at 303hp, not 290. Even better! I would have to go with the GTO as one of best blends of luxury performance for under $35k. Interior is MUCH nicer then Grand prix, many magainzes call GTO one of GM's BEST interiors, better then Vettes. Seats are much nicer esp backseat then grand prix as well. As for a heavy car, the GTO is 250 lbs heavier then GP GXP. 3750 vs 3500
    The GXP is no smaller than an ES330 but it is smaller than the Bonneville. The pricing for this car is already on edmunds. Fully loaded it would cost about $35K which is too steep if you ask me. If you could get it loaded for $31K-$32K than I would be happy.
    32K or 33K is my absolute maximum. Whatever I end up gettting will cost that and no more. So if the Pontiac Guy wants the business that's what they will get from me. If they don't want to deal I can probably convince the Chevy Impala SS Guy or the Chrysler 300 Guy or even the Mazda Speed 6 Guy to deal (The Lexus ES300 Guy may not be as willing to bend)... And if I have to wait until the end of the 2006 (yes 2006) model year I will. My dad used to say buy a car when you DON'T need one....smart guy he was too.

I am amazed the GTO is heavier than the GP GXP. The GTO looks like a sculptured Grand Am.
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    The GTO is much larger then a Grand AM and has the additional weight of the independent rear axle assembly. Even heavier the GTO is MUCH quicker then a GP GXP.
    Also not to mention that the GTO interior/seats is MUCH Nicer then the GP GXP. Sit in both and compare. One of GM's best interiors from what I read in Consumer Reports and Car & Driver and experienced. For GM I was quite suprised.
    In my opinion the GP GXP or any Grand Prix in it's current form is NOT worth $35k, esp with that interior and hard backseat. Yeah the 303hp V8 is nice, but not worth that. I don't even think a GP is worth $30k... under $30k in my opinion.

In 2002 I got my GTP supercharged fully loaded for under $25k. For that price it was worth it, not $35k.
    I dont think many people will be paying $35K for a GXP. That price includes Nav and I doubt many GXPs will be built with that option. I'm sure it will a few months before any incentives show up but $32K fully loaded isnt bad for a sedan that can run to 60 in 6secs. The TL offers comparable performance and a better interior but I'm bored with the TL's looks. Its a typical generic Japanese sedan.
    "I dont think many people will be paying $35K for a GXP. That price includes Nav and I doubt many GXPs will be built with that option. I'm sure it will a few months before any incentives show up but $32K fully loaded isnt bad for a sedan that can run to 60 in 6secs. The TL offers comparable performance and a better interior but I'm bored with the TL's looks. Its a typical generic Japanese sedan."

= = =

Couple of points here:

1 – I am afraid that GM will likely need to put incentives on the GXP almost immediately – and the MSRP suggests to me that they understand that. Although the GXP represents significant additional value (to me – see list below) over the GTP, the market is just too soft to suggest that the GXP will be able to sell without such marketing support $$s. If there are $2K or $3K in rebates and a ‘deal’ = just over invoice less current incentives, the GXP actual transaction price may be worth it – to some.

2 – With the many ‘new’ cars being introduced, I would be very surprised if the GXP made much of a ‘splash’. It may not be ‘new enough’. The mechanical changes may be of interest to some of those who were already aware of the Grand Prix GTP. The fact that this ‘new’ Grand Prix V8 remains a FWD, rather than a RWD platform will cause many to simply ignore it. The fact that it still has only a 4 speed automatic may annoy others. Others may be disappointed that the interior is largely unchanged. Etc. There is an incredibly wide range of choices in the $30K sedan market today. Including (just for example, in addition to several FWD sedans) excellent RWD sedans such as the Infiniti G35. A 2005 G35 MSRP starts at $31K / $32K. There are many others that ‘could’ be competitors, depending on your precise needs and wants and priorities - and how that translates to your definition of a competitor.

3 – A decent OEM Navigation system seems pretty consistently to be a $2K option, if available outside a package, regardless of MSRP level. On a $50K+ Infiniti M it is priced roughly the same as on $30K cars. I would be surprised if many GXPs with this option appeared on dealer lots for stock. Certainly, in my area very few GTPs with this option have been in inventory recently. And on a $30K car, $2K represents a significantly larger percentage increment in price than the same $2K added to a $50K car – over 6.5% vs. 4%.

I will reserve judgment until I see one and actually drive one. If the FWD effects (torque steer, etc.) are well managed, and if the V8 feels (and sounds) as I expect, and if the beefed up trans. appears to work well with the increased torque (over the GTP), and if the handling / ride compromise is to my taste, well - - we’ll see.

Just my 0.02 gallons worth . . .
    - Ray

GXP over GTP features / content of interest to me:

1 – All-aluminum LS4 - 5.3 V8 – HP / TQ = 303 / 323 w/DoD.

1.5 – EPA rating of 18 / 27 = same as GTP, even with the increased HP / TQ.

2 – Significantly upgraded / strengthened 4T65-E trans.

3 – Bilstein gas-charged dampers and higher rate springs.

3.5 – Stiffer rear stabilizer bar.

3.7 – Lowered

3.9 – 18” wheels / W-rated tires.

4 – Significant brake upgrade.

5 - Restyled front and rear. (In effect, this also includes the $675 PDC group of after production accessories - grill inserts, larger spoiler and exhaust tips.)

From pictures I have seen, I particularly like the front re-style. I am willing to give one a test drive, when they start to appear on dealers’ lots – likely in late April / early May.

Whether or not this is all worth the eventual, actual, negotiated transaction price, after discount and incentives is clearly up to every individual buyer. (I will be particularly interested to see if the current / recent $2K range of rebates on GP’s will be applied to the GXP.)

A relatively ‘loaded’ GTP (CompG, NAV, roof, leather) MSRP is currently approx. $32.7K. Edmunds TMV shows $30.5. I find this rather bizarre, given the fact that the recent rebates were in the $2K range. And sales have NOT been strong.

I’d expect actual prices paid recently (for a GTP equipped as described) to be more in the 28.5K range. Invoice less $1,500 of the rebate money leaves the dealer at $500 over invoice + holdback $$s. But I have not tried any negotiation – as the last I knew, GXPs are not yet shipping . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    http://www.us.leaseplan.com/pnews/ponmain.htm

- model – 2005 final order - - 2006 open order
    Grand Prix 4/27/2005 - - - - - 6/23/2005

So, based on this – my question is:

If I want to order a 2005 GXP, and I actually want to test drive one before I make a final purchase decision, does this mean I have only about 3 weeks for the GXPs to start showing up on dealers’ lots so I actually can drive one????

I certainly do want GM to have all their I-s dotted and T-s crossed before they start shipping this car. Initial build / prep. quality is important for any new launch.

But, if I buy one, I’d likely have to end up ordering one - with exactly the equipment I want and exactly the color I want. And I would be pretty surprised if any dealer near me happened to order exactly what I’d order.

There are not even currently any “Pattern Orders” shown for the GXP. I wonder what (if?) dealers will order for equipment on GXPs destined for stock . . .

- Ray
    Frustrated. And wondering if (essentially identical) 2006 GXPs will carry a higher MSRP . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    On GMBuypower . . .

http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehicleHomePage.bp?make=Pontiac&sellingSource=16&makeId=002&mode- l=Grand%20Prix&modelId=044&year=2005&subModelId=82&subModel=&categoryName=Overview&zip=300- 96&lowerPrice=&higherPrice=

Says it was last updated yesterday.
    I do not see any exclusion for the GXP.
    - Ray
    Done with this topic for a bit . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Although I've heard the GXP will be offered as a 2005 (actually more like a 2005.5) my feeling is that they may still just introduce the GXP as a 2006 model.
    Interesting the GXP is listed on the GM Buypower site and not on Pontiac's website. Pontiac has been real quiet about the intro of the GP GXP, sort of makes one wonder. If the Buypower site is accurate I could get $3500 cash or 0% (48 mos) + $1000 off a GP in my zip code. :surprise:
    A GP GXP with GTO seats - now that's something I could get excited about.
    "Pontiac has been real quiet about the intro of the GP GXP"

My understanding is that the 'release to dealers for sale' has not been issued.
    Perhaps that is causing the delay - and 'quiet'.
    - Ray
    Waiting . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Here's an idea for a sport sedan comparison test featuring the new Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.

Midsize Sport Sedans

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
    Chevrolet Impala SS
    Mazdaspeed 6
    Subaru Legacy
    Dodge Charger

How does this sound
    Acura TSX
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Here's an idea for a sport sedan comparison test featuring the new Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.

Midsize Sport Sedans

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
    Chevrolet Impala SS
    Mazdaspeed 6
    Subaru Legacy
    Dodge Charger

How does this sound?
    Acura TSX
    The pontiac website still doesnt have much info about the GXP. The literature I got at the autoshow said it will be available in april so perhaps it seems to me that the website should be updated soon. If the pricing has been released than I see no reason for the site to be lacking info and pics.

While it is true that you could get a lightly equipped G35 for the same amount as a GXP, I think the GXP is aimed at the Maxima, Altima SE V6 and V6 Chargers/300s. I doubt it will get good reviews from the press so its going to be tought to launch this car with this pricing successfully.
    It wouldn't surprise me to hear that GM is holding back the GP GXP in order to decrease the number of Bonneville GXPs and Grand Prix GTPs in inventory. GP GXP will cut into the sales of the cars it's already produced but not yet sold.
    "The pontiac website still doesn't have much info about the GXP."

The Pontiac website was update today (or possibly last night) to include some additional info. on the GXP.

Though the "Build Your Pontiac" still does not show / allow a GXP selection . .
    Nor the Locate function. That otherwise works better for me than GMBuypower . .
    So very very very odd . .
    - Ray
    Ready to drive one, but . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I just saw it today. Obviously they have more work to do. The performance of the car looks promising.
  • yoda2yoda2 Member Posts: 1
    The specs for the GXP on the Pontiac website does not include a spare tire. Any idea why? The GXP comes with a tire inflation kit. Does anyone know what this is?

Ron
  • brood1213brood1213 Member Posts: 27
    They could not fit a spare that would fit in the hole already in the Grand Prix. Since it uses bigger tires and brakes it could not use the normal doughnut tire.
    First GXPs have been delivered to customers.
    - Ray
    With none shown in stock (according to GMBuypower) closer than 100+ miles from Atlanta yet (sigh) . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Motor Trend sayeth:

0 – 60: 6.0
    Quarter: 14.3 at 98.1

No “Estimate” (theirs or GM’s)

Interesting.

Now I must go read the article . . .

- Ray
    Glad to see the 14.3 . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I didnt see the GXP in the new MT issue. Is there a test in there? I may have missed it because I looked at it briefly. I saw the three page ad they had in there for the GTO and GXP. Pontiac is sponsoring a comparison test on Speedchannel involving the GTO and GXP vs their competition. It airs on June 12.
    “I didnt see the GXP in the new MT issue. Is there a test in there?”

Article title is: “No Grip, No Glory / Front-, rear-, or four-wheel drive?” – page 90.

Sad (to me) that there is no reference to the GXP either on the cover or in the table of contents. There, it shows article name, but does not list the selected combatants. So – if someone happens to be looking for info on the GXP, they will likely not notice that this is a source. . .

Anyway. While I cannot type the whole article, here are a couple of quotes that might hold you over until your copy is available:

“exhaust throbs”

“. . beast finds focus when you crack the throttle”

“ . .hang onto the steering wheel as it wriggles with spasms of torque.”

Bondurant Instructor Mike Speck: “ . . impressed with how rudely the front-drive GXP can be manhandled.”

Since this article was focused on the dynamic differences between RWD, AWD and FWD, there was little reference to ride (or other) comfort / convenience features on any of the cars. (Did mention that the 45-series 18” tires on the G resulted in some “jittery” feel.)

Some numbers:
    . . . . . G35 6MT . . GXP . . WRX STi
    0 – 30: . 2.1 . . . . 2.4 . . . . 1.2
    0 – 60: . 5.8 . . . . 6.0 . . . . 4.7
    Quarter: 14.1 / 99.7 . 14.3 / 98.1 . 13.3 / 100.1
    braking: . 121ft . . . . 119 . . . 113 (from 60 – 0)
    slalom: . .65.4 . . . . 64.2 . . . 69.7
    Lat G: . . . 0.85 . . . 0.82 . . . 0.90
    (GXP number looks like a typo, as in another spot they show 0.86 g)
    Road Course: 23.3 . . . 23.8 . . . 21.9
    Base MSRP: $31.2 . . .$29.9 . . . $32.8
    Weight: . . 3510 . . . 3630 . . . 3290
    Wt dist . . 53 / 47 . 63 / 37 . 58 / 42

My current and 2 prev. cars are / were RWD, AWD and RWD (then my ’97 GTP) – and each with an 8 cylinder motor rated between 250 and 280 HP.

Oh, and there is an interesting typo that slipped through:

“ . . we rounded up a trio of potent, 3000-horsepower (or so) sedans . .”

Now I’d REALLY like to drive a 3,000 HP GXP – once . .

- Ray
    Ready for MY test drive. .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I looked at the MT again and I saw it this time. I think the performance is impressive although I expected better grip on the skidpad. I was hoping C&D tested one but they didn't. That isnt too surprising though because I doubt they are interested in a high powered FWD car, unless its Japanese of course. The GXP ran right with the 298hp G35 and the G35 had a manual if I'm not mistaken.
    “Will the added power make this Grand Prix a hit?”

Well – based on several indicators, I suspect that the answer to Kristie H’s initial question from Post #1 is: Nope.

I personally think the GXP represents an attractive proposition, IF:

You want 300+ HP / TQ V8 power and unique sound – and believe that GM has addressed the torque steer & related issues satisfactorily and created a car that is a lot of fun to drive (as early indications suggest) – and –

You want or need 4 doors and ‘sedan’ –ish room in the rear seat area – and –

You want something fun to drive that will also accommodate some family duties, has fold down rear seats, etc. as well – and -

You find the styling acceptable – and –

You seriously considered something like the Grand Prix GTP CompG, and might modify your car with such aftermarket items as a smaller S/C pulley for greater HP / TQ, wider wheels and tires, an exhaust that allows a bit of Internal Combustion ‘noise’ to escape, etc. . . . (All included in the GXP, and covered by the mfr.’s warrantee)

And / Or -
    You believe that 90+ percent of a premium sport sedan’s performance is worth something like 60 percent (or so) of a typical premium sport sedan’s price . . .

At an actual (I expect) transaction price (TMV, with discount to invoice + something like $100 / $500, and less current GM ‘incentives’) in the range of $24.5 (for a base GXP with MSRP = $30K) to $31K (if truly “loaded” with an MSRP in the $35+K region) the GXP represents an excellent value.

But I doubt it will be a “hit”.

Too many people will see that it is a V8, but remains FWD, and eliminate it from consideration.

Others will see that it still has ‘only’ a 4 speed automatic, though strengthened to handle the additional HP / TQ loads of the V8.

Others will not even notice that with 303 / 323 HP / TQ (and partly thanks to DoD) it still achieves a 28 MPG EPA highway rating.

We’ll see. I could be wrong.

- Ray
    Waiting to drive one before making a final decision . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    There is a Pontiac GXP forum on a famous GP site (don't think Edmunds allows links, sorry), that a GXP engineer posts on from time to time.

He said the 4 speed tranny is there the same reason the Vette has one; they didn't have a 5-6 speed that could handle that much torque.

Additionally, GM didn't see a problem with the FWD (he did say a lot of engineering time went into dealing with the torque steer on this car) due to the many sales up in the great white north. They wanted it to be a sports sedan that was driveable in all climates.

One other thing I remembered that he said, is why they still didn't put a stick in these cars. It's the same reason you don't generally see them in a lot of domestic nameplate vehicles; nobody buys them. The reason the imports bring them over is because it costs them nothing, since they already have to do it for their home markets.

Last item, trivial but I remember it for some reason. They didn't do anything cool with the hood (scoops, etc.), because it costs roughly $5M to run batteries of tests, tool a new hood, etc... and it just wasn't cost effective to do it for a relatively low-volume car.

That said, this is the first US car to come out in awhile that makes me think about parting with my trusty Maxima. I didn't even know this car existed until I saw it (along with the other Pontiac junk) on the front page of a local dealer's ad yesterday. I actually made some sort of exclaimation that startled my wife and baby, something like, "They're putting V8s in Grand Prixs again!!".

I'll look at them when they hit the lots (if they haven't already, have to check gmbuypower), but realistically I'll hold off for a year or two. Not long enough before they kill it, though, GM has a tendency to do that with "my next" cars (supercharged Olds Intrigue that never saw the light of day, mid-90s Monte SS, a Fiero with guts, etc...).
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    The 18" wheel package provides 255/45 series tires vs 225/50 on the rear. While this will help handling, I can't imagine not being able to rotate tires this soft on a FWD car. You'll be lucky to get a year out of the front tires.
    "He said the 4 speed tranny is there the same reason the Vette has one; they didn't have a 5-6 speed that could handle that much torque. "

And yet (finally) the Corvette will receive a version of the 6-speed automatic being offered in the STS-v.

- Ray
    Likely to be happy with 4 - but happier with 6 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    " I can't imagine not being able to rotate tires this soft on a FWD car. You'll be lucky to get a year out of the front tires. "

Possibly.
    But if that is the priority, this is not likely the car of choice.

I find it very interesting that car manufacturers are often criticized for putting (relatively) cheap, low performance tires on otherwise sporting vehicles. (The Goodyear RS-As on my ’97 GTP, for example, were absolutely abysmal from a handling perspective. And I replaced them after only about 5,000 miles.)

And then they are criticized for fitting really high performance rubber as OEM. Even on $50K plus Sport Sedans, like the M45 Sport w/19”-ers . . .

- Ray
    Fascinated . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • danmandanman Member Posts: 16
    Vette is getting a 6spd automatic for 2006. That current 400hp 4 spd automatic Vette still gets EPA rated 26 mpg highway and 0-60 in under 5 seconds, pretty impressive for ONLY a 4 spd auto!! This same V8 Vette gets better gas mileage then a 4 cylinder WRX econo-sedan. 26 vs 25. Besides I don't care or buy my cars basaed on whether they have 4, 5 or 6 spd automatics, I buy them based on how they drive, performance.

Case in point the new Ford 500 has a 6 speed automatic, yet is still SLOOOW. 8.5 to 9 second range to 60. Reason is that Ford Tauraus carry over 200 or 203hp V6. Car needs an extra 50hp. 500 weighs more Tauraus.

Case in point, the 4 spd automatic GTO is same or FASTER 0-60 and 1/4 mile then the 6 spd manual version. Manual gives you 4 mpg better though! 25 vs 21.

Case in point a 4 spd auto supercharged 260hp GTP, gets the same 28 mpg highway as a 5 spd manual 4 cylinder 170hp Subaru Outback wagon, both same 3500 lbs. Performance wise the GTP will blow the doors of the std 4 cylinder outback.

Look at all of Honda/Acura's tranny problems with 4spd auto in the V6 Accord, TL etc. So Honda comes up with new improved 5 spd auto, same troubles... trannies not holding up. Recalls, extended warranty on tranny etc. 4 cylinder ACcord was fine. V6 models
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    I can say I am impressed with the thought of the GXP but like the Bonneville GXP will it really sell at the pricing point and features.

This will be a limited number run of models, dealers will hold for the highest value they can on the car, simply because they will have 1 or 2 at best on the lot.

Cannot compare this GP model to the base junk at others (Ford 500, etc). You can say side by side to a 300 Hemi. But, the same will apply to the 300 Hemi, which will see dealers having limited inventory thus $$$. Base and mid level models will have you getting the GREAT DEALS, I am afraid that the GXP will have others questioning where the $$ is in realtion to competitors, not to mention a resale value that will drop like a ROCK.
    The pricing is a little high but it seems like their priority was performance hardware. It does come with the go-fast stuff standard and many people like that. Not everyone want to pay for leather and a sunroof (a la TL) when all they really want is the engine and looks of a car. That said, they should have made more equipment standard. This car will sell if they advertise it enough, but that is a big if because GM has a tendency to let new models get lost. The Bonneville GXP barely got any advertising. Anyone who thinks no one wants powerful FWD cars must not be paying attention to the MAxima. With 265hp and FWD it seems to be very successful. The pricing on the GXP is not out of line when compared to the Maxima or 300 Touring.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I wasn't criticizing GM for this tire package, I was merely pointing out if you go this route what you'll be up a against. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the 18" wheel package is a rare find.