Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 2006

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Ray, thanks for the link.

In my browser it is broken, though, so even though it is correct, people can't just click on it to use it. Here it is in a "clickable" format: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Navigation Manual.

Pat
  • mcp6530mcp6530 Member Posts: 11
    Doesn't anyone own a GXP with a Navigation System? If so, do you know how to turn the volume of the door chime down? It's in the stereo speakers in front and there is a way to do it if you have a normal stereo according the manual, so certainly, there must be a way to do it if you have a navigation system!
    Anyone know of a way to do it?
    Thank you! :mad:
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    Ray,
    After having my GXP about a month but only driving it a few weeks, I am firmly convinced, I didn't rent a GXP with Avis, it must have been a GTP. The V-8 is way different and if memory serves it didn't have suede inserts. Did the 05 GXPs all have suede inserts? Edmunds shows a GTP and GXP for that year.

You seemed surprised and rightly so.

Cheers,
    Bubbaman (Gary)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "I didn't rent a GXP with Avis, it must have been a GTP. The V-8 is way different and if memory serves it didn't have suede inserts. Did the 05 GXPs all have suede inserts?"

Yes (my) 2005 GXP also has suede inserts.
    I rented a GTP a couple of years ago in Colorado springs.
    One of the best rentals I have ever had . .
    - Ray
    Sure not to be that 'lucky' in Vegas renting something next week . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Did the 05 GXPs all have suede inserts?

The leather seats were an option in the 2005's - but they had the suede inserts on the GXP. The dealer I bought mine from sold at least 6/7 and all had the leather option. I doubt many were ordered without it.

Loving my 2005 GXP. :)
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    Maybe the CD being stuck in there is causing the eject button to not work. Why don't you use tweezers to remove the CD and then put another CD in and see if the eject button works. I had to do that with my computer in work when I couldn't remove a disk. I used tweezers to pull it out and used a different disk and it ejected fine. I may be completely off base here but it might be worth a try.
  • rmozolrmozol Member Posts: 124
    Hey guys, I've driven my 2006 GXP a few months now. I've been noticing this "lurching" type feeling in the city. It's usually around 35 - 40 or so. It almost feels like the torque converter locking up. It just seems at such a low road speed, I doubt if it's that. Any ideas?
  • dingo9tndingo9tn Member Posts: 4
    just to let u guys know. the dealer let me know to listen for a noise coming from the heater core area of the firewall. a running water sound at low acceleration. they bled the system but its still holding air. they are going to contact GM in regards to this problem.
    GM also told my dealership they expect this problem with all GXP's. if it isn't happening to you i'm glad to hear.

At least they could have give me a GXP as a loaner car..... :blush:
  • redtexredtex Member Posts: 1
    If you buy a GXP you will have a great ride. I got mine in Dec 2005 and I do a lot of mileage. I have driven it 14,000 miles so far, and even in the winter with the snow it was really good. I had the dealer find snow tires that fit and it was a very good fit. Performance and handling wise. Even though the tires are wide, it pulled through the snow like a race horse. Now that I have the summer tires on, ... WOW! The only thing I had go a little wrong was the wiper spray nozzel that got plugged with some debris and the dealer changed it on warranty. It took me about 2 months to haggle this deal out and find that it was worth the wait. I had all the options except the Nav. I had a 2002 GTP before this and it was fun too, but it can not compare to the GXP. I also drove a Nissan Altima 2005 for a year while I was looking for the right car. I have to say that the Altima was a real dud. It was the 3.5 5 speed, and really a piece of junk. :( .
    But the GXP has brought me back to life and I have gotten over the Altima now. I can't see how anyone can loose with the 2006 GXP.
    As a bit of background, I had a 1970 Chevelle with the 402 Big Block 4 speed manual. I drove that car for very many years, and I have almost the same enjoyment driving the Grand Prix GXP. Not a manual, but the power lets you forget all about it.
    When you get yours, enjoy. :)
  • eagle75eagle75 Member Posts: 16
    Traded my black 38k mile '04 Bonneville GXP for a black '06 GP GXP over the weekend. The Bonneville and the Northstar was nice, but not enough of a hot rod for me. Actually when I bought the Bonneville in Mar '04, the LS4 GP GXP was rumored, but the reality was too far off for me to wait. I didn't really intend to trade just yet, but my wife's GTP lease is up in a few months, and we were doing a little advanced research. She wants another GP, so we drove the GXP for an afternoon. That was it for me. That car was just too much fun to drive. Very impressed with the TAP shift. I read a review of the GXP awhile back in which the author fussed about the paddles being inconveniently placed. I don't know what he was talking about.
  • dakota74dakota74 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Can someone take a picture of their sunroof -- opened -- in their 2006 GXP PLEASE???? Email it to me at iluvhdb@yahoo.com? I am having issues with having no wind deflector on it, like a 2004 has -- a small plastic piece.....the roof is VERY loud wiht wind. I want to see if anyone else's 06 GXP look like mine.

Thanks!!!!!
    "Traded my black 38k mile '04 Bonneville GXP for a black '06 GP GXP over the weekend."

Congrats!
    Enjoy & welcome to the 'club'!
    - Ray
    13,000 miles & counting on the 2005 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Did you know that the open sunroof can interfere with the performance of the Satellite radio if you have Satellite on with the sunroof open, according to the manual. With my car sometimes it interferes and sometimes it doesn't!!
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    ....from Pontiac for every GXP they sell in my area. I'm in the epicenter of Audi and Lexus country and I've been questioned many times by neighbors/friends about this car. They all want to drive it....and when they do they really like it. I'm waiting for the day a neighbor down the street has one too... ;)
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    Onstar and the F.B.I. listening in? Have you ever had your telephone ring once, and then stop? It's common knowledge thats the FBI making a connection to the earpiece to listen in........
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    Its a definite fact that with OnStar, your vehicle can be located anywhere on the planet via their satellites. My sister works for a Hertz Rental company and they had a car reported "stolen" from a customer. It just happened that it had Onstar installed on the vehicle, and later on she was notified by Onstar that they located the vehicle in South Carolina somewhere, and that they had already notified the police where to find it.

As for the FBI being able to commondere this ability from Onstar, who knows, anything is possible i guess.
    Just a comment from Chats1 re the FBI. Isn't this getting a little ridiculous about the FBI? Why are we worrying about that now? Who cares if they listen in! You get OnStar free for one year. If you are worried about the FBI listening in, just don't renew your OnStar after the one year is up. It will be deactivated and if the FBI had been able to listen in, they won't be able to listen in after the year is up. I have spent my life with attorneys and I am not easily intimidated. This entire subject about the FBI is not only ridiculous, but actually pretty humorous. I guess we're just having fun today and not getting much work done.
  • sahoward1sahoward1 Member Posts: 19
    In all honesty, I have no care about the FBI. And the hiss does not bother me either. But I do think it's ridiculous that my snowflake defaults to "on" 95 percent of the time. Other than that I love the car, but I do not think I should drive 100 mph when I'm drunk. Especially driving from Boston to the Cape... too many State cops on Route 3. I think I may go to my "radiator guy" who says he can install a kill switch.
  • gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Member Posts: 38
    I too think its hilarious,tell fredo to keep quiet,ha ha ha
    As long as we're going to drive this snowflake ac thing right into the ground...I've got two more cents: I get into the car tonight, it's cool outside, but warm in my garage and I drive the car outside. My wife had the temp set at 79(!). I guess she's cold-blooded. I turn the temp down to 72.

NO SNOWFLAKE! I've not noticed any problem with excessive AC use or software glitches. My car was built just a month ago, so I suppose if there was a problem the bug was ironed out. Again, for a gxp manufactured in april 06, Ive no problems. No hissing, no buzzing, no AC problem. Just a problem with a car that is an absolute joy to drive. Dang, it holds the road like glue. :shades:
    Another thing I thought of last night. Do you know that you don't have a spare in your tire well, but a tire inflation kit? You probably had a spare with your GTP. I actually do have a spare though in my tire well in addition to the tire inflation kit which we put in the rear of the trunk. The reason I have the spare is because I made a big fuss about "no spare" at the dealership so the owner told me that they would get me a GM approved full-size spare for this GXP and squeeze it into the tire well. It's in there because when I picked up the car, I said open the tire well and I saw it squeezed it there. Have no idea if it will fit the front which are 8 inches wide or the rear which are 7, but I'm not worrying about that. If I ever have occasion to use it (and I have never used a spare), if it's not the right size, that is not my problem; it the dealer's because they got the tire for me free of charge and said it would fit. I also had a 2002 GTP which I loved but sold it only because it had 51,000 miles on it and have a long commute to work and I really wanted this GXP.
    Actually, i had heard that there was no spare tire, i just never really looked. I did notice the other day when i went to get in my GXP, that there is a sticker on the bottom edge of the door sill that states what the tire inflation should be for the front and rear. under the title "Spare", it says "NONE", lol.
    when i went home for lunch today, i thought id try to see if i could hear if my GXP has the infamous "hissing". i put my ear down to the large speaker in the driver's door when it was opened, and sure enough, i could hear it. thats the first i ever noticed it though, so im not going to worry about it.
    That's how I found out I had the hissing sound. I said I didn't have it and someone on this forum told me that I did and to put my ear next to the speaker on the door. I did and sure enough, I heard it too.
    can the hiss be heard in every speaker? ie, passenger side? rear dash?

one thing i found peculiar is that there is no switch on the door to activate the lighting system inside the car. how does it know when the door is actually opened and/or closed? it sounds to me like it has something to do w/ the lighting system.
    I didn't listen to the speakers in the rear -- just on the driver's side and the passenger's side and I could hear the hissing which lasts about 15 seconds on both sides, then goes out. when you put your ear near the light in front of the rearview mirror I hear a hiss, but I really don't know if it's coming from that light or the rearview mirror. I can't tell. My brother is the one who insists it's coming from OnStar. I really don't know. I don't know where any light switch is either.
    - Sunroof; mine is the same as other GM's I've owned and it operates the same and has about the same noise level. I've never been a sunroof fan, so it really doesn't matter to me. Folks I know who don't like the noise have purchased an add on air deflector that seem to eliminate some of the noise and wind buffeting.
    - I've owned a number of vehicles and several GM vehicles with the auto-climate control same/similar to the one on the GXP. The A/C on my 2005 GXP operates the same as the others. I turn it off it stays off. If in defog/auto it does come on for defogging. Maybe yours ismisprogrammed or out of calibration.
    - I have never noticed the hissing and have tried listening for it. Got the Monsoon, XM & OnStar... I say - just leave the stereo cranked and you'll not be bothered by the hiss. (you'll also go a bit hard of hearing like me.)
    600 miles on the GXP -- so far. so good. A former Trans Am owner posted a few months ago that the GXP is like a FWD 4dr TA. I second that. I owned 6 TA's, and while the GXP is no TA, it has a lot of the same characteristics. Certainly a hoot to drive. And where is the torque steer that some of the magazine reviewers talked about? I feel a little tug now and then--like when going up an on-ramp and I hit a bump--but nothing to get excited about. I have Monsoon and OnStar, but I don't hear any hiss; my AC system operates just like my two prior Bonnevilles, so I'm OK with that; Ray's suggestion on reducing sunroof wind noise works fine; and not having a spare doesn't particularly bother me given that I have never had a catastrophic tire failure over the years--just a handful of slow leaks. All in all, pretty happy at this point. Love the styling, power and that good old V8 sound. My wife has a GTP. She wants a GXP at the earliest possible date--a few more months on the lease.

On the wheel locks, I may just forget about them and put the original lugs back on. That one lock on each wheel is kind of ugly looking even if the fronts were the proper length. Most people probably wouldn't see them, but I do, especially when I wash the car--which is frequently--and I really don't like the look. Besides, the locks on my wife's GTP have rust in the little grooves, which makes them even more noticeable.

Bill
  • guttegutte Member Posts: 1
    The Red GXP Badge looks great. Where did you get it?
    Billgxp and Gutte: There are lots of graphic overlays for the GXP at GXP Overlays

Bill
    Entering second month with our GXP and it is one truly sweet ride. The only bad thing about it: my wife hogs it most of the time. The car is so mellow when you putter around in it but when you put the hammer down it really is wickedly fast. Now that I've broken our car in, I've noticed mpg have risen and the car is even quicker. Anyway, not much else to report. I give the car a wipe-down....I'm pleased that there are no door dings.

Nothing more to report. I find myself looking for errands to run late at night just to drive the thing...
    Gee, we haven't heard from you all week. It's been quite a dull week. You entertained us quite a bit last week. I hope you didn't drive drunk to the Cape at 100 miles an hour. Is that why we're not hearing anymore about your ac problem? The cops got you?? All kidding aside, I was wondering how you made out with the killer switch and also, hope you're not fed up with the kidding and this forum. Chats1
    I want to propose a toast to all the 2006 grand prix gxp owners: May you love your gxp as if it were your last car you would own,cherish every riding moment,blast the tunes like you wanna go deaf and put the pedal to the metal if you damn well feel like it!!! Its friday everyone enjoy your weekend!!!
    Can the 2000 or so of us that got the 2005 GXP's also toast?
    Loving mine :shades:
    A THOUSAND APOLOGIES....WHAT WAS I THINKIN OF COURSE YOU GUYS ARE INCLUDED!!!!!!!! GXPJOEYP 1008 MILES :)
    It's Sunday night...late, and I'm almost toast, but I'll raise a glass of 91 octaine to ya'all....
    This car has been a hoot. People sure check me out when I drive easy down the road.....they come up, go by, slow down...a GP with a v8 and four fat pipes out the butt??? They're rare, and fun...and, I gotta go to bed...
    Yeah, I like it when they look at the calipers and rotors and ask where I bought them. I tell them Pontiac, of course. Speaking of which, I've emailed a few places about cleaner pads. Anyone else look into this yet?
    Has anyone ever tried using the octane booster/additives to this car? Im figuring for the price of gas the way it is, wouldnt it be cheaper to fill up with 87 octane, and add a bottle of octane booster instead of using 91 or 93 octane?

Ive actually been filling up with 87 octane since last fall, and my GXP still runs great.

I highly recommend the K&N air filter for the GXP. The exhaust sounds so much better, and the throttle response is crisper with it.
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    A month or so ago, i purchased a K & N ait filter for my gxp, and it's made absolutely no differance on sound, fuel mileage, throttle response. If any one out there is looking for the best deal anywhere on a used gxp, check out the black gxp with 1400 miles on it. www.reynolds1915.com this is the best dealer for prices on any used car ive ever found. Killer deals on cadillacs too.
    Hi all my fellow gp gxpers,i have a question,i have read on 2 diffrent websites that the top speed is 138 governed and also 143 governed,which one is correct or are they both wrong....shhhh im tempted :confuse:
    I've e-mailed the Pontiac site a few times, but they never have an answer. I don't think they know, personally. The fact that these have "W" rated tires, good for sustained speeds up to 168 MPH, is a little strange, if the speed is limted that low. Why not just stick a "H" or "V" rated, and be done with it? I'm guessing that these have the power to pull these to beyond 150, which is where most U.S. cars used to be limited at. I see even Chrysler has gone beyond that with the SRT-8's.
    I've seen legit video of the car going 140+. Have yet to take mine out....yet.
    Ive had mine up to at least 100 mph on a few occasions. It didnt take very long at all before i realized i was at that speed. One of those times was just messing around, and i only had the pedal about halfway down to get there, so im sure they would have no problem reaching at least 140.
    I've seen conflicting stuff on the top end. I've read where the car's computer limits top speed if tranny heat is an issue...and I've seen different figures: 143, 146...I know one of the motor mags did a test of the impala ss with the same engine and they found it went over 150. I'd be curious what the car will do on a cool day. The engine and gearing seem right to run in the mid-150s, and the car is certainly slippery enough to do it.
    Someone out there take this car to Bonneville and see what it will do :shades:
    One thing that I have found frustrating about GM is that even when I am trying to help THEM, my sense is that many at GM do not really care. At least not enough to actually do something.

One non-GXP example:

Heck, I have now personally contacted GM twice regarding incorrect EPA ratings for the STS-v listed at this GMBuyPower url:

http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehicleList.bp?make=Cadillac&model=All&modelId=all&mak- eId=006&identifyThumbnail=showAllMake&

Still incorrect. (sigh.)

Back to the GXP.

While I really like my 2005 GXP, and admire the effort it must have taken (and $$s) for Pontiac \ GM to bring such a niche vehicle to market in these times, I am absolutely astounded that for 2006 they added no additional refinements and actually de-contented the GXP slightly:

At least 2 reasons that I like my 2005 better than the 2006 (interior) are:
    1 - My understanding is that for 2006 they reverted to the GM corporate cruise control stalk. I like and appreciate the separate control on my 2005.
    2 - And they removed the up \ down movement of the driver's seat lumbar support adjustment for 2006.
    On long trips, I use that - a lot.
    ( Old decrepit back - sigh )

From a product and from a competitive standpoint I actually expected that Pontiac would do something to further enhance the 2006. One possible example that would have been relatively inexpensive (since I believe that it would only involve software upgrades) to implement is a “rev match on downshift”. Since the TBW is already there, the issue would seem to be one of integration between downshift command (manual \ TapShift generated) and coordination between the PCM and TBW to achieve an appropriate amount of “throttle blip” based on the current RPM and calculated \ expected RPM after shift execution. To smooth the transition.

Again, this would require no additional hardware components – and achieve an additional measure of driving refinement. ( This works quite effectively in the Infiniti M45 Sports I have driven on occasion. )

Just my .02 gallons worth . .
    - Ray
    13,000+ miles and many, many smiles . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    All,
    Ray's recent message got me thinking,

2 - And they removed the up \ down movement of the driver's seat lumbar support adjustment for 2006.
    On long trips, I use that - a lot.
    ( Old decrepit back - sigh )

What do you think the average age of the GP GXP buyer is?

Late 40ish/Early 50s

Food for thought,
    Gary
  • billgxpbillgxp Member Posts: 13
    Any fellow GXPers out there live in the vacinity of Englishtown Raceway Park in NJ? They are holding the annual Pontiac Show & Go this Saturday. Typically includes a cruise style display of Pontiacs and drag racing of street muffled vehicles. Details are available at www.etownraceway.com. Anyone planning to attend and show their GXP? Might there be a small contingent of GXP's to attract attention?

Bill
    Im 35
  • gxp4megxp4me Member Posts: 7
    Ahh, I hope that estimate you made is slightly off otherwise I may have just become my parents! ;) LOL :P

I am a PROUD GXP owner and I am 24 ... I will be 25 this September.

Frank
    I just turned 35, and bought my 05 GXP last june. This is the 4th Pontiac Grand Prix I've owned. I bought my first one in 1993, when I was 22. I made the car payments and insurance payments all by myself, only had my dad co-sign for the loan.

There are too many teens out there today that dont know the value of a dollar, esp. if they dont have to earn it themselves. I think a lot more parents should make it a requirement that their kids at least pay some portion of a vehicle if they want one bad enough.

I was 17 when i bought my first vehicle. it was in 1988, and it was a full frame-off restored 1965 chevy pickup, customized with a nice 350 cid, AT, wooden bed, etc. I bought it at a car swap meet for $7,000. My dad paid the owner for it, but i repaid him every penny over 3 years. He didnt charge me interest, but at least i appreciated and took care of the vehicle more, knowing that it was mine, and everything that went into it i had to make the money for. he owned 2 gas stations, but i still had to pay for my own gas. im thankful i learned about purchasing, and the upkeep of cars that way. it makes owning your own much more fun.