Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Highlander Hybrid Bluetooth/Navigation Questions

fizbanfizban Member Posts: 42
Which nav unit comes with the HH? Does it talk to you? Does it accept verbal commands?

Comments

• nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    The Highlander Navigation system is a DVD based touch screen system that does provide verbal commands but does not have any voice recognition capabilities. I have only had a few days to play with it, but having a Nav system in my other car, I personally would not purchase a new automobile without one. It's not inexpensive though - $2,000 option. It's like many other things, if you don't have one, you won't miss it. If you have experience with one, you will probably want to check that option box.

Wes
  • tomslycktomslyck Member Posts: 70
    I agree with nsxwes that once you get one, you'll want it in your next car. It's pretty similar to the one in our Jag, but the screen is also useful for the hybrid diagram stuff (which is a pretty good toy in its own right). I'm guessing it will be worth something at trade-in time, but it's not a "must have" (unless the dealer says you "must have" it if you want to buy what's in stock).
  • kelskels Member Posts: 1
    Tomslyck, I like what you have to say. I am currently looking for a car with great gas mileage as well as being a heavy and safe vehicle. I am a self distributed wine maker and I need to hold a lot of wine, however I do not want a huge 8 mpg unparkable ( for downtown garages and busy streets) rig. I currently drive a Subaru. I am looking for an all wheel drive. Am I too late to order one of these? Anyone want to sell?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Am I too late to order one of these?

Shop around the country on the Internet. You will probably find one with little wait. Don't get sucked into some eBay $5k premium. They will be available as some people already found out. One guy walked onto the lot and drove off in his new HH.
  • tomslycktomslyck Member Posts: 70
    Kels, I'm not about to sell mine, but if you make some phone calls you might find a dealer that has one. I actually got a call 10 minutes ago from a dealer. I had put my name on his waiting list with no deposit and hadn't expected to hear back from him. I don't know if we're allowed to talk about specific dealers, but he's in San Bernardino. That's a two hour drive from my house, but I felt it was worth it to avoid a long wait.
  • gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    That's a neat trick on the navigation screen. But has anyone worked out how you could play dvd videos on that screen? It must be possible, right? I'd read that there was an older system that would allow you to do this when the vehicle was in park.

Separately, the consumption of gas is truly disappointing. What's worse is that, with wear-in, it seems to get worse. I was getting better mileage before . . . even though I'm trying harder. The only hope is going to be a plug in.

This is the kind of hybrid I'd've expected from GM . . . not Toyota.
  • darmockdarmock Member Posts: 9
    Here is a way that will allow you to not have "greyed out" NAV screen options while in motion. You or your passenger can enter addresses, POI, read "info", etc while the HH is moving. I found this on a Lexus board and tried it in my HH and it seems to work. The downside is that it must be reentered each time the HH is started. I have found it easy to memorize the sequence after a few uses. It is very distracting to use, so of course, be careful. Moreover, this process opens up other 'programming' areas of the HH of which I have no knowledge so again, watch out. Steps:

Push 'hard' MENU button
    Push soft 'VOLUME' button
    Tap the SPEAKER ICON (upper left)
    Tap the bottom left corner of the screen (nothing is there) Tap the SPEAKER ICON (upper left) again Tap the bottom left corner of the screen (nothing is there) A new menu, SERVICE, appears Hold 'OVERRIDE' soft button until a beep.

I have edited the original post (#1083) and reposted.
  • hhvahhva Member Posts: 37
    We calculate our MPG with odo readings & fillups and look at the display MPG. It is usually less on the display. BTW, watch the overfilling; service managers @ 2 dealerships cautioned about overfilling, overfill filter, etc. It can get expensive.

I traded a Tundra Dbl. cab in on the Hh. We can almost double our MPG with the Hh. And the accelaration from a standstill or 70 MPH is impressive. Yes, this is V8 like accelaration with V6 fuel economy.
  • anjoeanjoe Member Posts: 1
    Does any one have a picture of the HH dashboard view without the DVD navigation System ? I am waiting form my 4wd-i HH Ltd Edition. I picked up the highest edition and all that i opted out of was the DVD Navigation System. I always felt you can get a more feature rich Navigation System from the market at a much lesser price.

I was disappointed (shocked) when i got to know that my Limited Edition HH will not have the Touch Screen Display in the center console because i Opted out of DVD Navigation.

I dont understand why should a Vehicle Dynamics Display be coupled with a Navigation System ? Even if it were so i would have called it a "Vehicle Dynamics Display with Navigation Assistance" to make it obvious to the potential buyers on what they could expect.

Does any one have a clue if it would be possible to add a display to one the comes from the factory without it ?
  • markrsmith83markrsmith83 Member Posts: 30
    Does anybody know WHO I would report the missing street to for the HH nav system?
  • zacharyazacharya Member Posts: 71
    Call Toyota customer service relations. Tell them that if they don't address the problem you will post it on the NTSB website. Maybe that will rattle their cage.
    I called them and reported the missing streets. They said that they'd look into it and call me back.

I tried using their Ask Toyota website, but they seem to have my e-mail already registered (from a pre-sale question), and I can't remember what user ID I used. Thus, I can't use this website.
    You should post a complaint on the NTSB website. I bet that their corporate big wigs peruse that site. Then you'll see some action. Amazing how some manufacturers just don't give a damn.
    I honestly don't see it as a safety problem. The fact that my little residential street is missing is unlikely to cause an accident. That's why I haven't mentioned it to NTSB or NHTSA.
    Don't construe that site as a means of solely safety. If you look at some of the posting from Prius owners, many of the posts involved inaccurate data from the NAV system. This was a good thing because Toyota issued a free upgrade and admitted there was problem with the data. If you don't speak up and make an issue of it, you won't get anywhere. Believe me, if enough people complain, they'll listen. Strength in numbers. Don't let the car companies push you around. I wish the Saturn mentality would transcend to other dealerships.
  • kcreadykcready Member Posts: 7
    Have been looking for a HH with Nav but can only find w/o nav.
    Does the Nav screen provide any more info on the hybrid system, power consumption, MPG, ect. then models w/o Nav system?
  • johnnyroasterjohnnyroaster Member Posts: 23
    The Nav screen provides quite a bit of information. It has a power diagram that shows what motors are on and which way the juice is flowing. It is cool to show your friends but I don't find myself looking at it much any more. There is also a screen that shows current mpg and average mpg over five minute periods of the last 30 minutes. I usually have this screen on.

The screen also works in conjugation with the stereo and climate control. I think it is a bit misleading that Toyota advertises the option as simply a navigation system when it is more than just nav.
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    The NAV screen does several things and some are unique to the screen.

Unique:
    1. MPG number.
    2. Energy flow.
    3. MPG and consumption over last 30 minutes.
    4. Navigation w/ voice direction.

Not Unique:
    1. A/C controls - replaceable by knobs and buttons in non-NAV version.
    2. Stereo - replaceable by knobs and buttons.

What we would have missed if we did not have the screen?
    1. We would not know why the ICE engine would come on at various time. is it charging? is it turning the wheels? is it just heating the catalytic converter?
    2. We would not have an on-board MPG number to check against our manual MPG number at each fill-up.

We find the navigation system useful and practical and have begun to use it a lot. It is a nice convenience but not a critical essential to us.

Overall, we find the energy flow and MPG info most useful in helping us change our driving behavior. One of us would do a pratice drive while the other watches the screen and voice the data and changes. As extremely curious engineers, the screen answered many questions we would have had if we did not have it.
  • tpatintpatin Member Posts: 11
    I have the HiHy w/o NAV. I have various bits of information displayed on two separate read-outs that you cycle through by pushing a button. One display is just below the speedometer and shows odometer/trip odometer; outside temp.; energy flow and traction battery status; and current mpg (on a graph). The other source is right above the AC controls and shows outside temp.; AC temp. setting; current mpg; avg mpg; and time elapsed since last start up. I pretty much keep the first one on the energy flow/battery status and the second on the avg mpg.
  • 5dogstoo5dogstoo Member Posts: 1
    The touchscreen for the NAV system in my HH Ltd has an intermittent problem which started just recently. After driving for a 1/2 hour or so, the touchscreen does not work at all. So, I can't work with the NAV system, change the climate control system, do anything with the audio system or any of the features that work via the touchscreen. Stopping and turning off the car and then restarting does not help but leaving the car overnight seems to reset everything. The problems consistently start again after driving for a while.

I have my 5000 mile maintenance scheduled in a few days. I know intermittent problems like this can be difficult for the technicians. Does anyone know of a solution for this or have any information I can share with the technicians?
  • zentropyzentropy Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know how to reduce or eliminate the volume of the "touch" tone when you push a button on the NAV screen? The visual cues are enough for me, and that "beep" is getting really annoying. :mad:
  • judi3judi3 Member Posts: 10
    I am new to these systems and the NAV seems to take me the longest possible routes to my destination even if I allow for major highways and toll roads on the icons. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong?
    Also whenever I turn the AC off I cannot adjust the heat temperature. Is that normal?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    If you give me a specific starting point and destination and note what it is doing wrong (and what you think it should be doing), I can compare it to mine and probably come up with some ideas.

In my 2004HL w/nav, I can adjust temperature with the AC off by using the temp up/down buttons. When you press the temp up/down button, what happens?
    Thank you for the reply. For the Navigation system I am going from 3025 Highland Parkway in Downers Grove,IL60515 to 523 S. Plymouth Ct Chicago,IL.60605 It actually minus a few turns 2 major highways Toll88 and highway 290 are all that should be used. When I am on 290 it keeps wanting me to get off at every exit rather than stay on and just take a right onto my street.
    Nothing happens when I push the temp up and down buttons when the AC is off. I think it did when I bought it.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    In the Toyota automatic climate control you have to have the AC/heater system ON in order to change the interior temp. My Prius is the same. If it's OFF then all you have is ambient air temp from the outside, like the old 'vent' method on older cars.

When the cabin gets comfortable for me after 5-10 min then I turn the AC off or keep it ~69-70.
    OK that sounds like you have it set not to take freeways. When I test it on my nav, it is taking those freeways.

When you set your destination you'll see "Route Preference" on the side with a Change button below. If you are already being guided, press the Route button then Route Preferences. Turn on all applicable options such as Allow Freeways, Allow Toll Roads, etc. (Each button is a toggle, when it is "on," there will be a yellow indicator.) Let me know how it goes.
    Thank you but I did do that and it still took me the long way. Also how do you get the screen that shows the 3 route option. I can't seem to find it and tried everything..
    After entering the destination address and pressed ENTER or REPLACE to set, a larger MAP screen appears. The bottom of that screen has a row of buttons and the "3 Routes" button is to the LEFT.

Pressing that button and the "3 Route" screen appears.

Hope this helps.
    There is an on on-line VIDEO manual showing how to do this and it shows step by step how to get to the 3-button screen. Turn on your computer VOLUME because it provides spoken instruction as well. The following link takes you to Toyota site that does this, it is fairly intuitive.

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/content/06HighHy_iGuide/iGuide.htm

Once you are in iGuide, the main menu list is on the left with RED background. Select the "NAVIGATION SYSTEM".

That pops up the navigation system video manual in the video screen area. There is a submenu and the third submenu item is "DESTINATION INPUT BY ADDRESS". Press that and the VIDEO starts playing showing step by step how to get to the 3-button screen eventually.

It is a bit long winded but worth the time. Once you get used to this, there are a few other ways to get to the screen but they are all use more or less the same work flow.
    If you have freeway & toll road options on then the only other thing that I can think of is that you selected the "Short" route instead of the default "Quick1" route. There should be no other reason for it keep telling you to get off the freeway.

Follow cdptrap's instructions to get to that button when entering a destination. If you have already entered a destination and have a route set, you can get to the 3-route selection by pressing "Route" then "Search Condition". Then you can change this setting while within the route.

Note, the three route thing is not a global setting. Each route you set is defaulted to the Quick1 route. It only takes Quick2 or Short route if you explicitly select them.

BTW, what map version do you have? Press Menu then Map DVD to find out.
    I did do this and it has Quick Route #1 on the top but does not have the 3 route icon. I will take your advise and use the web site you suggested thank you.
    I have the .05.1 version and still cannot find the 3 route icon when I switch over to the map after pressing enter or replace.
  • savealsaveal Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I recently bought a Highlander Hybrid and had a Toyota Nav system added afterwards by the dealer. It seems that many of the roads and POI's are completely out of date. Roads which I know have been around for 1-2 years here in Texas are not listed. The data version is 1.2. Does anyone know if there is a more recent GPS data version available and if so how much that costs?

Thanks
    Jamie
  • discussion1discussion1 Member Posts: 103
    Hi
    I called Toyota for this and they said the data is updated each year around Fall. We need to contact a local dealership for the information. It normally costs $250. The update may or may not impact where you live at all, so it may not be necessary to upgrade. They said to check with the dealership.

I think this is their way of routing business to the dealerships. It is painful because Toyota itself has the first hand information. It has yet to learn how to be a "software" company.
  • joemizjoemiz Member Posts: 6
    $250 seems a bit high. My wife was quoted over $400 to update her 2002 Lexus ES-300 NAV. Isn't it just a new CD or update of software. The lexus dealer said there were very view changes in 4 years in our area (AZ).
  • discussion1discussion1 Member Posts: 103
    Joemiz,

Did you mean to say 250 is too low or too high? Not clear from your Lexus statement.

In any case, $250 is about the going rate for a lot GPS type guidance system on the market. Many "hi end" ones are significantly higher. I wonder if TOyota also ships new software version in addition to the GPS data for guidance.

We are due for an oil change in a few hundred, will check then.
    Usually dealer-installed navigation is not even a possibility. Are you in Canada? Are you sure it's a Toyota nav system? The latest map dvd version for Toyota nav systems is 5.1. Version before that is 4.2.
  • pdigi1pdigi1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking for a new HH Limited with NAV. One dealer, trying to find my color choice, said that the NAV systems and DVDs are now being bundled as a package, so you have to get the DVD to get a NAV. Can anyone confirm this?
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    I just took delivery 10 days ago in NYC. Nav system, no DVD. I have two kids and wouldn't want the DVD. Sounds like dealer may be wanting a little more profit.
  • mmreidmmreid Member Posts: 88
    Okay, I bought last June but was told that the dvd was a separate option. I got the Limited HH 2WD with NAV and everything but the dvd player. If someone is in the second row of seats (unless family in town visiting) it's most likely a 56 lb dog and she is not into movies at all. I think if I ever need movies in the back - like for grandchildren on a long trip - I would buy one of those dvd systems that basically strap to the back of the front seats. A friend bought those for his kids and said they are around $250 to $300.

I had a weird problem yesterday - could not get the Disc Rand to skip from disc to disc and finally got the manual out, turned off the audio system, turned it back on, turned off Disc Rand and turned it back on again and now I think it is okay. First time I had any issue with the sound system. In fact, the first problem ever with anything in the vehicle! I'm over 7,000 miles now. I just hate taking a vehicle into the dealership for minor repair and having to sit there for two hours or drop it off and come back later - my Toyota dealership is way, way across town and not the least bit convenient but it's the only one in my city.

mmreid
    YES, there is a NAV+Rear DVD package.
    NO, you can get NAV without DVD package.

The following is a link to the Toyota Build-Your-Own page using our zip code in California:
    http://www.tmsbuyatoyota.com/configurator/configuratorFrame.aspx?series_id=69&s_- - van=GM_STN_BYO

Select the model and click NEXT, it will take you to the OPTIONS page showing you all different packages.

You can do the same but use your own zip code . Go to Toyota.com site, select Highlander Hybrid, then click on Build Your Own service. This will show what is available in your zip code.

Hope this helps.
  • newski3newski3 Member Posts: 42
    I'm picking up my HH w/NAV (no DVD) today. I know that the suv has been on the dealer's lot from 3 to 4 weeks. The dealership is in the Cincinnati Region.
  • bean88bean88 Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone with version 4.2 checked to see if the updated Map DVD update version 5.1 looks any different? I was wondering if it includes any software/firmware update or if it is just a map data update. I am trying to decide if it is worth spending $230-250 for the update. I recently rode in a Lexus in Japan and the graphics on their NAV display are incredibly advanced compared to version 4.2.

Thanks.
  • mroczkamroczka Member Posts: 11
    How will I know, if I have the latest updated software, as I understand it, there is a 4.2 then in Japan a person mentioned there is a 5.1 version software. Frank
    I have version 5.1. I haven't seen 4.2 but I don't think the graphics are as much software dependent as they are hardware dependent.
    I read somewhere that this hardware system is an older system than the current voice activated system on the Prius. Plus the graphics on my HH aren't as good as my 2003 Mercedes ML and 2006 Mercedes R. Still a very good nav system though.
    My HH was manufactured in Feb 2006 and came with the Ver 5.1 map.
    On the dash, there is a MENU buton for the Nav. You may have to press it twice before the menu screen comes up. On the upper right hand corner there is a soft key for the Map DVD. Press it and it will tell you the version.
  • newski3newski3 Member Posts: 42
    You might be correct but hope not. Prior to my HH, I purchased a Lowrance Iway 500c portable gps system. A couple of months after purchasing it, Lowrance posted a software update (free of charge, I might add) on its web site. The updated software not only corrected some streets and POI's but also added the "windshield" view. I used that view a lot and hope that Toyota adds this feature in their next update. It seems that a lot of changes are in fact software driven.

A second item: I'm not sure why Toyota does not make any software update available on its web site. I realize that Toyota has not provided a way to download directly to the HH Nav system but I could burn to a CD or DVD and install that new disc in my HH. Would beat paying about $250 for the update. (Maybe I just answered Why Not.)
    lol on the 250 answer. A different view would be a nice addition. Let me clarify though; I was referring to screen resolution when I wrote graphics.
  • mmreidmmreid Member Posts: 88
    I called my Toyota dealer a few weeks ago about updating the NAV on my HH Limited and was told you do it every two years from date of purchase. I bought mine in June of 2005 so they said see you next year. . .

The issue of what kind of gas has come up before and I was told absolutely I didn't need anything but "regular" and I've been using that for a year. No knocks, no pings. Running just fine. A friend who is a car oriented guy said that while certain vehicles say you have to run the super expensive premium in a vehicle, the computers in all these new cars actually prevent the old fashioned knocking and pinging in cars that used to happen. Not sure if it is true but hubby bought a BMW Z4 with standard transmission (slightly used) and he is using the middle level gas and it is running just fine.

I got my new Consumer Reports the other day and while they may not have our mpg figured out realistically, they are still ranking it as the top rated mid-sized SUV and a recommend buy. It's number one in the mid-sized range.

I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat for whatever that's worth. I think I'd only trade or sell for really outstanding new technology that was even more environmentally realistic and planet friendly. It would have to be really outstandingly different and I'd have to fit behind the wheel. . .
    mmreid
  • bean88bean88 Member Posts: 14
    I asked this question once and received few responses so I thought I'd try once more...

Has anyone with version 4.2 checked to see if the updated Map DVD update version 5.1 looks any different? I was wondering if it includes any software/firmware update or if it is just a map data update. I found an online vendor who would order it the update for me for $230. I recently rode in a Lexus in Japan and the graphics on their NAV display are incredibly advanced compared to version 4.2.

Thanks.