Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Thanks for the info on the dash kit - it seems like everything is coming down to either paying a little more to have my X come the way I want it, or saving a few bucks and taking care of some things myself. If I know my husband, he'll probably not want to fuss with things ourselves; so I'm pretty sold on the SE over the XE.

I wish I had an X right now - we're actually getting some snow here in Kentucky (albeit only a couple of inches)!

Min
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    You should never have said that about building a building. See below for my list of questions on THAT subject. :)

You are correct that the X has a part-time 4WD system with both high and low range (unlike some of the "cute 'utes" that do not have 4lo). You the driver decide when to engage 4wd and if so, hi or lo. Being a control freak, I appreciate this.

I believe that the LSD on the X works by means of a series of clutch packs in the rear differential. When there is excessive rear wheel spin on one side, the LSD clutches engage and send more power to the wheel that is NOT spinning. Without LSD, all the power would continue to go to the spinning wheel, hence you find yourself stuck. This system is not a guarantee, because I believe that if one rear wheel loses traction COMPLETELY, the LSD will not kick in. That's why 4wd is also good because you still have power going to the front axle and can hopefully pull yourself out.
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    I've never heard of any cases of the X accelerating instead of slowing when the brakes are pressed. I wouldn't mind knowing how many have experienced this problem and if the cause is known (my curiosity has gotten the best of me).

I do remember another car that use to "jump" forward when placed in gear.

The phrase "I'm Audi 5000" comes to mind.

If the information is too much to post, please either post the link to the website or e-mail me the information at mcina@netzero.net.

Thanks.
    that from what I understand, when 4wd in the Xterras is engaged, all four hubs are locked together. This means that all 4 wheels get the same power all the time, essentially disabling LSD. LSD only functions while in 2wd mode. Not sure if someone else had mentioned this earlier or not.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    my email is in my profile.

But I have notice recently that the brake and gas are a little too close. Depending on what boots I'm wearing at the time, I seem to hit both pedals at the same time.

Unclemartybob: You mention you had both feet on the brake pedal.. the pedal isn't that wide, so maybe you were partly on the gas. My truck is manual, so I'm guess the pedals are the same size as the auto.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    2 Xterras- The 4X4 on the X doesn't work like that.
    If you have LSD - both rear wheels drive, if not, then only 1 wheel drives in the back.
  • stfrancesstfrances Member Posts: 9
    Sorry I took so long with the info. I took the time to check my info and confirm what I saw. Here goes....... www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems
    1. Consumer Complaints
    2. Year 2000
    3. Nissan Truck
    4. Xterra
    5. leave blank and press submit
    You will see the first of several consumer complaints about acceleration without foot on pedal, while stopped, etc. Make sure to follow the steps or you will end up in no-mans-land. Hope this is of help. Cheryl
  • stfrancesstfrances Member Posts: 9
    Make sure to check out the service bulletin and recall sections.......
    From your message, I couldn't quite understand what you were saying. You said that the "4X4 on the X doesn't work like that", but then you explain to me what LSD is. All I was trying to say was that in most (and I'm assuming in the X as well) trucks with part-time 4wd, when 4wd is engaged, it locks all 4 hubs together which causes all 4 wheels to spin at exactly the same speed. This is why you shouldn't engage 4wd in dry conditions because in turns, the outer tires cannot spin faster than the inner ones, putting strain on the system and potentially damaging it. At the same time, if all 4 hubs are locked together and spinning at the same speed, I don't see how power can be transferred back and forth between the 2 rear wheels?

I also read an article somewhere, sometime ago that explained the 4wd system in the X and I'm pretty sure that what I mentioned above is what they said it was. I may be missing something though...
    I hate to change the subject, but I'm having a bit of a problem that I thought one of you may know about. I just purchased a pair of Hella 500 driving lights and I mounted them on my Waag grill guard this morning. Tonight, I took it out for a little test and I was shocked at how high they were aimed (I must have gotten at least 6 flashes from oncoming cars). Anyway, when I got back home, I tried adjusting them down so they weren't aimed so high, but even when I adjust them all the way down, it still shoots way past my low beam range. I would be able to adjust them even lower if I install a spacer between the lights and the guard (the bottom of the lights are hitting the guard, stopping me from aiming them any lower). Was wondering if anyone has installed Hella lights (or any brand) on their grill guard and how you managed not to blind the oncoming traffic. I may just go with a spacer. Any suggestions on what I should use as a spacer (several thick washers could do the trick)?

Thanks
    In 2wd, I believe that the front and rear diffs allow the inside and outside tires to turn at different speeds going around corners. Only the rear axle is powered so there is no problem.

When you're in 4wd in the Xterra though, both AXLES are locked together and have to turn at the same speed because the X doesn't have a center diff. On slippery or loose surfaces, the tires can skid enough to compensate for any difference in speed between the axles as you corner. If you're on a dry road in 4wd, its much harder to skid the tires so the mechanical parts are stressed and could be damaged. The hubs themselves are not "locked" together per se.

This is why if you lose all traction at one front and one rear tire in 4wd, you can be completely stuck because without the LSD or another device, all available power goes to the spinning tire (where you don't need it.) This is why hardcore offroaders install front and rear lockers.

In low traction situations, in a sense, 2wd is sometimes only 1 (rear) wheel drive, and 4wd may become 2wd with one front and one rear driven.
    Since LSD seems to be handled..

Unless the is a difference in "names", driving lights are equivilant to highbeams, and should be treated as such. They are not extra normal headlights. The aiming process is the same for aiming your highbeams, and that is most likely why you are having trouble lowering them. If you do lower them, you are defeating their purpose. If you want extra "short" light, you should have gone with fogs. In any case, auxilairy lighting should be left for the dark highway and out of the city limits.
    The only way to properly aim lights is on a brick wall in a dark parking lot. I might be off with the distance, but mark where your headlights hit the wall at 6', back up 12' and aim fogs below this mark, highbeams slightly or on this mark.
    Thanks for the info. This is my first 4wd vehicle, and though I'm no stranger to car components, I'm not too fluent in the 4wd system lingo. Based on what you wrote, silverxglider, are you saying that the X with LSD really can have up to 3 wheels providing power (not necessarily all at the same time) since the X does not have LSD for the front?

xcanuk, when I bought the Hellas, the box said "fog lights", but they sure look like driving lights to me. They make the X's high beams seem weak in comparison even though they're only 55w bulbs. In any case, I've decided to reroute the wiring to the high beams and use them with the high beams only. Thanks for your help.
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I have a set of PIAA lights mounted and I did exactly what you said...........I used a rubber spacer so I could point the lights down....Mike
  • likexterralikexterra Member Posts: 17
    OK, short and sweet:
    The front and rear differentials allow the left and right sides to turn at different rates in turns across the same axle, but without a center diff the aggregate front/rear difference in rotation cannot be dissipated (the overall distance travelled by the front wheels will be more than the overall distance travelled by the rears). This is where you need to be on a loose surface, to allow this difference to work its way out of the system by having one of the tires scrub it off by turning a little faster or slower than it otherwise would. If it can't get out, the stress builds up and something will break.
    The LSD has been explained pretty well. Just remember it is not "the" solution, it will only do so much before a true locking diff would be the real answer.

Brent
    for the info. But after examining the light pattern in the Hella 500 "fog lights" I've come to the conclusion that if I point them down by using a spacer, I won't be getting much help from them. The Hella 500 fogs seem to have a pencil beam pattern with a slight scatter (exactly opposite as what the box shows). Anyway, this morning I rerouted the wire to the highbeams and adjusted them the best I could without it being dark. Tonight I'll find if I need further adjusting. At least now I can drive without blinding everyone and causing accidents...

Thanks for the rubber spacer info though.
  • jackdotcomjackdotcom Member Posts: 5
    Hello.My Xterra has 22000 miles and the only real problem I've had with it is a constant crackling noise coming from the driver window/headliner area.The dealer has had it on 3 separate occasions and after applying additional insulation to the headliner,tells me all is well.Well in a day or so the noise always returns and has been a constant annoyance for almost a year now.Some of you guys seem pretty mechanical(which I'm not).Is a headliner problem something I'm just going to have to live with?Most people tell me to ignore it but since it's right in my left ear and I paid 25k for my X I'n having trouble doing that.I'm exasperated with the dealership.Any advice/suggestions out there?
    Looks like you got a mislabeled box, pencil beam are driving lights, although they all look the same, the pattern is set in the lense.
    I've hooked up a wide variety of lights, but always connected them separate and independent. The one advantage to getting the most effective fill of light. This way, I could run fogs, normal headlights, and driving lights and get a nice overlapping pattern on the road.
    Yes, as I understand it, the LSD can under the right circumstances give some power to both rear wheels, for a "total" of 3.

Lockers would be nice because then you would really have 4wd but they're costly and they have some drawbacks of their own in ordinary, on-road driving.
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I have seen this problem before here......I think people were spraying insulation(the type that expands VERY little). I think they were removing or just pulling down the gasket around the sunroof and spraying the insulation into the cavity. If you go to a home improvement store just make sure you buy the right type or you could have trouble....Mike
    The proper lubricating spray that should be purchased is silicone lubricating spray. Be sure to be liberal in the application. The first time I lubricated the driver side weather strip (peel it back and spray into the crease), I didn't use a lot and the sound remained. Now, the driver side weather strip is fine, but the driver side rear window and passenger side are crackling (I'm assuming the sound you're describing sounds like rice krispies in milk?). I just have to find time to spray those as well.

Good Luck...
  • xsexse Member Posts: 66
    my dash has developed a rattle. it sounds like its coming from behind the center vent area.
    i have come to these conclusions:

1.not a leaf stuck in the vent- turned up full blast several times to be sure.

2. sounds like a loose bracket or something

3. only happens when the truck is in motion

4. used to go away when the truck 'warmed up' but now its more frequent.

its not a big bother b/c i cant remember how long it lasts. i usually forget about it once i get going. i do notice it when i first drive...maybe the passenger airbag bracket or duct or something? wire tapping at a bolt, bolt tapping at a duct? i dont know...
    Check and see if the cruise control cable that loops around the back of the engine is rattling in the bracket, that's been the cause of many "dash" rattles so far. Zip tie it loosely to the bracket and it should take care of it.

Brent
    The cable is on top of the engine, at the rear of the engine compartment.
  • goshawk1goshawk1 Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to purchase a 2001 Xterra and have done much researchfrom edmunds and other sites. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to purchase a 2000 4x4 instead of the 2001 4x2. we are just looking for a XE model with the basics. Any suggestions?
    I'm not sure of the pricing comparison, but good luck finding an available, new 2000 model. You may be able to find it used, but not too many new ones remain.
  • aligalig Member Posts: 1
    I have taken two long trips in the month that ive owned my 2001 SE and on both trip it feltlike my right foot was on fire it seems like there is very very hot air coming in - Ive tried adjusting the heat levels and nothing seems to work. any suggestions?

I also started noticing the rattle mentioned in #123 - mine started after i got off the highway - sounds like cruise control might be the correct diagnosis - thanks.
  • dart64dart64 Member Posts: 9
    Hey Xterra lovers,
    Nissan has a new Little SUV called the X-Trail. I started a discussion about it, #3414, but nobody has responded! :(
    Anyway, if you like the Xterra, I'm sure you'll like this vehicle. Head over to that discussion to see pictures.
    Hope you are all enjoying your X's.
    Sounds like a heater vent door is not closing when it should. I recall someone else had what may have been a similar problem with one of the vent adjustments never closing all the way. iI think that invovled the control knob on the far right that directs air to the windshield, through the dash vents, to the feet, etc. I think he might have been able to fix it by forcefully turning the knob a few times till everything freed up properly. Don't know if this is exactly your problem though. I know that on mine, my right foot is always hotter when the heat's on because the vent must let out right there but I can turn the heat down with the middle knob.
    I love my X but...
    I wonder if anyone would like an Xterra XL?
    Same basic style az the current one but built on the loncer wheelbase as the Crew Cab?
    I've never seen one but it would be nicer to have a bit more room
    Let's see...a third row of stadium-style seats with another roof bump-up, at least six more cupholders, popcorn maker...oh, sorry, I'm thinking of a movie theater.

That is the only thing I miss about my old Trooper. It had a LOT more cargo room behind the back seats and the X still feels cramped in comparison.
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a 2000 Xterra XE.I love the truck! But I'm not sure if it's the truck or me being used to driving a stick for 13 years. It seems to me sometimes like the tranny wants to hesitate shifting sometimes. Sometimes taking off from a stop it seems like it slips onto gear and then goes. Is it me or is this normal?
    Bad habits die hard.. I'm assuming your X is an auto... and that is why mine is still a stick.. the bigger question.. why did you change ?

MMM.. higher roof line.. I just barely make it into the garage as it is... but imagine the rack.. the rack of all racks.. 3 kayaks for our queen, 5 mountain bikes... and a cab full of bungie cords..
    well, the xterra could be much larger but i know why they made it small- so it wouldnt compete with the pathfinder. i know, iknow, they are different animals but 2 suv's of the same size or worse yet, the cheaper one is larger than the pricey one...marketing, thats the only reason.

if you look at your x, you can see where they narrowed the body quite a bit at the b pillar. the rear tailgate should be as wide as the frontier tailgate, but it isnt. also, why use the stnd. wheelbase instead of the king cab wheelbase? again, simple marketing. you cant make the cost argument on this b/c it really has nothing to do with additional cost.

you could say it makes the x more sporty and gives it a jaunty feel- but i would rather have the room! guess we'll have to wait for the redesign...
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    Well, my fiance doesn't like stick and I knew she would be driving it a lot. So, I figured I would get used to the automatic. That's the main reason for switching.
  • carlxcarlx Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know of anybody making the Wood Interior for the 2001 X yet? I went to some places that do make it but can't find out if it's for the 2001.

Just bought the 2001 xe w/3pak and really am impressed. I changed the tires to Dunlop "Rover" w/ white lettering and it looks good. I've had those tires on my 84 Chev. 4x4 after reading an article about them yrs ago. I've already noticed the steering more responsive and going over the RR Tracks less bump.They were always good in rain/snow/mud, no Hydro Planning.The dealer had them exchanged for me, for $20.00 a tire, a good deal I thought.Not spaming or pushing these tires , just thought I'd pass it on.
    One thing I found was I had a rattle on the Pass. side. I found a screw loose on the crossmember clamp of the roof rack (drivers side), it transmitted to the pass. side.Tightened screw, no more rattle (Mon./Fri. built) :).Screw driver was in the kit where the tire tools are (neat)under cargo mat.
    Nice forum here and glad to have found all you folks..........CJ

p.s What the heck do they mean by targeted for the younger folk. I'm 63 and think I can live with this thing. :)
    Look at how the bottom of the rear doors on the Xterra are so small at the door sill. Compare that with the doors on a Frontier crew cab.

BTW the Pathfinder is 1.3 in wider and 4.7 in longer than the X.
    I'd check over at ebay for the kits, off hand, I'd say you would be waiting till next year for them to come out with the re-cut kit for the 01.

Since you are new, check all the screws to the rack, pull the ones for the deflector and the basket, grease 'em and re-install, they have a tendency to bind over time.
    My auto snaps off the line instantly. The only time I notice that it hesitates from a stop is after I back up and then switch to Drive. I'm on the gas and the engine starts revving, but the transmission takes about a full second to shift from R to D and I've frequently barked the tires when it catches after the engine has revved first. No big deal for me though. And it seems this is nothing new, a co-worker has 1st-gen Pathfinder that does the same thing.

Brent
  • flynavy99flynavy99 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I too have been doing much research on the X and decided on an XE with the 3 pack, 4WD and manual transmission. The problem is I haven't been able to find one within 500 miles!! Of course I have the misfortune of living in Meridian, MS right now, but I went to 4 dealers within 150 miles of me and they could only come up with a 2000 in Missouri!! I need to go through a dealer though because I have a trade in. ANy suggestions short of ordering one from the factory with will take 90 days? Thanks!
  • flynavy99flynavy99 Member Posts: 2
    The problem has been that no dealer has an X with a manual trans. 4X4s have been few and far between as well, I wonder why???
    actually the width # doesnt tell the whole story. measure the width of the roof above the rear doors and above the hatch. i guarantee the xterra is something like 3 inches narrower than a pathy.

if they made an x the same dimensions as the pathfinder it wouldnt look as 'sporty'- a bit more heavier. BUT that isnt a bad thing- again, i know it was just a marketing decision. ever see a frontier crew cab w/ a snugtop cover? cut 4 inches off the rear and that should be the correct size of the xterra. wide, big cargo area... oh, well. the pseudo-discovery 2 look is cool too. proportionally, the x should be the same as the old, boxy pathy. same doors & windscreen. its just that b-pillar back, they tapered everything inward.

btw, i really like the pathfinder now! somehow the xterra made the pathfinder cool again. i hope they restyle the pathy with the xterra hump- like a signature nissan styling element. i would buy it. cant wait for the full size,v-8 nissan pu!
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    if anyone has a Target anywhere near you, i really suggest you go and pick up the R/C X. It's cool as hell!! my fiancee bought it for me and it is an EXACT replica of the real thing. looks just like mine, but its in yellow w/ stupid racing stripes. it even has a pushbar!! sidesteps, roofrack, even windsheild wipers!! its $40.00 but its worth it!! especially when you have a little dog biting the rear tire. i guess i need LSD on the R/C?!??!?!?
    Yay! Just got mine today! At this moment, there are three more at the Target in College Point, Queens, NY according to the friend who was kind enough to pick mine up.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to paint mine, without it looking like a black blob. But,.. mine is ready for winter, over here we have Tempo's ( Temporary garage shelters for the driveway, so you don't have to shovel ) and so does my R/C. Now both my X's have garages.. now to find mini tools, and a mini bike rack for the roof.
    anyone have their R/C pull to the right on crowned carpeting ? at least it doesn't have a sunroof to snap crackle and pop.
  • annyeoannyeo Member Posts: 2
    You've probably all have covered this as I am too tired to read back through since the last time I was here, :( but I did get my official safety recall notice in the mail yesterday on the broken lock plate for the 2000 auto tranny.

Xcanuk: put that Christmas toy back under the tree!
  • xterraknxterrakn Member Posts: 1
    All, I purchased a 4wd SE xterra in October of 1999. At 3000 miles, I motor flushed the engine, and put Mobil 1 full synthetic oil back in the motor. As the engine began to break in, my gas mileage kept increasing. It was checked at 18.7 mpg about 6 weeks ago. I put a K&N air filter in my X about a month ago. I noticed a slight increase in horse power, however my gas mileage has almost dropped my 2 mpg. All the "EXPERTS" say my mileage should have stayed the same or even increased with the K&N filter. Have any of you had this problem? Thanks for your time!
  • catmanncatmann Member Posts: 5
    I believe most people say it takes several tanks of gas before the computer fully adjusts to changes in the engine set-up (i.e. changing the air intake volume). Also, it has been quite cold here in PA. Weather will play a factor in gas mileage too!
  • bcollins3bcollins3 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Nissan Xterra 2000 4x4 standard for my wife this past June. On the second day of driving I noticed the X pulling to right. Stopped by dealer , they found leaking brake caliper, had to order parts and replace. In the 5 months of ownership and only 3,000 miles this vehicle wants to pull to right when driving and espcially (although intemittantly) when braking took X into dealer several time. The dealer has X for last month (gulp) to replace just about every brake component that Nissan wil authorize. Heck , their techs ahve put more miles on it than I have! It still pulls to right, we have to cock steering wheel to left to steer straight! Filed complaint with Nissan and started case number. Question fellow X'ers any one else having driving/braking problems? I seem to remember seeing a post or two some time back. I'm ready to pursue Colorado lemon law/legal action. Help! TIA!