Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• dfaraondfaraon Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan Xterra 2001 SE 4x4. I have a question regarding the audio system of the Xterra. I have factory installed In-dash 6-disc CD Changer. I want to add an amplifier to it without changing my head unit. Is this possible? Does my Xterra head unit have an RCA preouts on it so I can hook up the amps?

Any answers or inputs is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
  • mindiemindie Posts: 109
    Went offroading with our newly formed Kentucky Frontier/Xterra Club over the weekend. See pictures by clicking on Gallery here --> http://www.geocities.com/kyfxc

I'm the silver X. I did not get stuck. I am COMPLETELY stock.

Mindie

• xcanukxcanuk Posts: 372
    Nice pics, loads of fun in groups.
  • msisengmsiseng Posts: 369
    Just think if you had BFG ATs on the truck!

Looks like you had a lot of fun.
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Posts: 218
    Well people, I'll be getting the XTerra for the dependability- but other than that, I'd be ALL OVER the Liberty- very nice ride, nice styling, shift on fly and full time 4 wheel drive, big electric sunroof, side airbags, 3.7 litre

.... Nissan is up for BIG challenge.

If I hadn't previously owned a Nissan and known how dependable they are- I'd be in 2002 Liberty land today. Fortunately I am now wise enough to go for the quality and give up a few "goodies"- but it was tempting...

Anyone else agree that that is a pretty swell truck- albeit a bit small?
    I've had the "Full Time 4 Wheel Drive" in the past- can drive on wet, dry, snow, patchy- whatever.

In 4wd on the X, one must NOT be on DRY pavement- how about the patchy stuff, crappy wet roads you find in outlying areas- some stretches of dry and fairly solid- then, well, the crap.

Does one AVOID 4wd in these cases??

No big deal either way...
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Posts: 290
    If you don't have snow, sand , mud, or rocks under your tires then don't use the 4WD. Pavement, wet or dry, does not provide enough slippage for the 4wd to work properly. It's a Part Time System made to be used off road. Those Full time and All Wheel Drive systems work a lot differently and aren't really meant for off-roading, they're more for bad road conditions, rain, etc. What the X has is a real 4wd system meant to be used on a trail or in snow, not on pavement, no matter how crappy it is.
    Thanks- it is amazing that for the same money, you can get the "Select Trc" system on a Jeep Liberty with the various options- including the "off road part-time" option.

Sure is tempting to go "Jeep".... but I know better!
    Lets see.. if you can figure out how to put that cover UNDER an X.. Let us know. You are the weakest " link " Good bye..
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,935
    I'm getting rid of the little spammer as fast as I can :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Anyone buying the Liberty is looking for more trouble that most vehicles! And it is a first year Jeep Production Model? And they ask me why I drink?

I drove the Liberty and it is nice and fast, but after my friends' many historical Jeep troubles, no thank you! I do not think it will stack-up well against the modified '02 X.

Happy driving this weekend!
  • dougmckaydougmckay Posts: 22
    I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Jeep. The J.D. Powers 2001 Initial Quality Study indicates that the Jeep brand overall measured a 20% reduction in problems compared to the year before.

Even more telling are the individual rankings...

A Jeep Grand Cherokee registered 138 problems per 100 vehicles. A Wrangler had 144 problems per 100. And a Cherokee had 180 problems per 100. Where was the Xterra? Tied with the Cherokee at 180 problems per 100 vehicles.

The Liberty is being built at a brand new state of the art assembly plant, which may help reduce initial quality problems that lead to major hassles down the road.
  • johnmeijohnmei Posts: 44
    The bottom line is Xterra is quality, Jeep has been, is and probably will forever be JUNK. Have fun throwing your money away on the "Liberty". When it rattles and the tranny goes, and the ball joints loosen up, just suck it up. Please, no further discussion re JUNK.
    It is a COMPLETELY valid discussion.

I agree Nissan is historically a better vehicle,
    but this IS a DISCUSSION group- so I don't think the topic should terminated at all if people have to air their thought processes on their purchase.
  • dougmckaydougmckay Posts: 22
    johnmei wrote:
    "The bottom line is Xterra is quality"

I would disagree. Overall, Nissan has better quality rankings than Jeep, but the Xterra has the WORST quality ranking of any Nissan in the survey, and a worse rating than 2 out of 3 Jeep models.

Jeep is making fantastic strides forward in quality, being the second most improved brand in the survey. Could it have something to do with the new German management? Your guess is as good as mine, but whatever Jeep is doing they're doing it right.
    Well, I have to agree with some of you. Had a number of major problems with my X like a crack in the engine, but they have been nothing like my friends' Jeep troubles.

Hmmm..German Management? Many German cars are the most reliable on the road...BUT, look what infulence Mercedes had on Chrysler. Not very good except for the Sebring.
  • Just had to throw my 2 cents in here. The Liberty is being built at a brand new plant in Toledo, using Mercedes-Benz manufacturing and design techniques. Jeep (and Daimler-Chrysler for that matter) has put all their eggs in one basket with the Liberty. Their #1 concern is durability/reliability. I understand Jeep has a terrible track record (99 Grand Cherokee) but the Liberty is a different animal. My boss has a 2000 Xterra, it's very nice but a little too spartan. I just ordered a Liberty Sport last week. Not looking to start a war, just saying it's gonna be interesting to see the competition, which in fact benefits us all.
    Let me know how you like your new Liberty. May have to check one out myself as I am not impressed with the X after 5 months of ownership. Just hate to take the depreciation hit of trading a vehicle after such a short time-period.
  • xdreamsxdreams Posts: 7
    Getting back to 4WD for a minute, I've been told it's important to engage the 4wd every so often even if it's on flat dry pavement, to keep it in good working order. Anyone heard similar? Or will it do more harm than good?
    I never saw it mentioned in the Nissan manual, but its a habit I picked up with my old 4x4's, I still do it with my X. I don't go far, if I can, I'll give it a shot in 4L as well in a parking lot. As long as the road is straight, driving on dry in 4x4 isn't a problem ( avoiding binding the wheels while turning ).
  • Using it once a month or so supposedly helps keep everything lubricated.
  • radiogirlradiogirl Posts: 16
    Hello, all! Yes, I have my Xterra finally (a Just Blue XE now named Sparky X)and I just had my first problem with it...right after I took off the temporary tags! I was on Interstate 95 outside of the Wash., DC, suburbs Saturday night and the "service engine soon" light came on for what I figure no reason. I have only 685 miles on the odometer. I checked the manual the next day and didn't have any of the easily spottable problems, so I'm having the dealership go over it tonight. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm aware it could just be a sensor burning out so I'm not too worried at this point, but I just want to know if it's "one of those things" that tends to pop up.
    this is a frequent problem, 99% you filled up your X recently and the cap was not put on tight enough.. ( always screw it on till you hear the clicks ) The dealer should give you the first computer reset for free, just be careful the next time. ( In the manual, look under gas cap ) In case it happens again, make sure the cap is on right, and start the X a few times.. the light will reset itself.

Very doubtful, but a few had their oxygen sensor go,,, but these are far & few between.
  • ...You are telling us that a loose gas cap will cause an "idiot light" to come on?

What happens if you lose a cap and use a rag? Does it send you to "Nissan jail"?
    no more rag stuffing, something to do with the air vacum. Quite a number of vehicles run this way.
    In the same line, there are no proper sealing "locking" gas caps for the 01 models either, if you get one, it will more than likely trigger the light as well. 00 models can use them without any problems.
    Dealer willing to sell me a 2001 5speed, gold, SE (no hitch or mirror)- $23,500. 3.9% apr.

We had gone back and forth and now... here we are.

But that 2002 looks really good. Too bad it will be about $26,000 for same equip- and no 3.9%.

I may do a cash deal- so the 3.9% is not a big deal- but it is nice to get cheap money when you can.

I know its MY decision- but what are the "communities" thoughts??

Thanks!!
  • xterracopxterracop Posts: 14
    I had the check engine soon light come on in my x as well and despite what canuk says I hadn't even filled mine up yet for the first time, only had 100 miles on it. I had mine checked and it was deemed there was a problem with the O2 sensors. Somehow they were not responding correctly when he hooked the diagnostic computer up to it. They fixed it no problem. I have had no other problems with it since and no other problems period with my wonderful X.

It does say in the manual to engage the 4wheel every once in a while to get the fluid in the diff to lube all the gears. You are only supposed to do it on a straight road to prevent binding. I usually kick mine in for about 2-3 miles depending on the road. I live in a big city so sometomes its hard to find a road that is straight. Hope I could be of help to someone out there.

Paul 2001 XE Superblack 3-pack.
  • Just a further wrinkle - I believe the '01s have a gas cap with a plastic tether. (This is apparently for the people deemed capable of driving a 2-ton vehicle but who can't be trusted to hang onto their gas caps. But I digress.)

Someone had a problem when he put his cap back on without realizing that the tether had gotten wound up in the threads. The cap clicked and he thought it was properly tight but the tether was screwing up the vacuum seal.

Just something else to watch out for.
    I hate to say it.......

The people who responded are correct as to the diagnosis. I hope this is your only problem!

As for the 4WD, everyone is right on! Need to keep it lubricated like everything else good :-)
  • bstreetbstreet Posts: 37
    Hi. i'm in a similar delimma, do i go ahead with the 01, or wait on the 02. i hadn't heard anything on pricing for the 02 yet - where did you get your numbers? Is that for the Supercharger, or just the SE 02? Just curious. Thanks! Good luck with your decision. i'm leaning for the 01.