Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Using it once a month or so supposedly helps keep everything lubricated.
  • radiogirlradiogirl Member Posts: 16
    Hello, all! Yes, I have my Xterra finally (a Just Blue XE now named Sparky X)and I just had my first problem with it...right after I took off the temporary tags! I was on Interstate 95 outside of the Wash., DC, suburbs Saturday night and the "service engine soon" light came on for what I figure no reason. I have only 685 miles on the odometer. I checked the manual the next day and didn't have any of the easily spottable problems, so I'm having the dealership go over it tonight. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm aware it could just be a sensor burning out so I'm not too worried at this point, but I just want to know if it's "one of those things" that tends to pop up.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    this is a frequent problem, 99% you filled up your X recently and the cap was not put on tight enough.. ( always screw it on till you hear the clicks ) The dealer should give you the first computer reset for free, just be careful the next time. ( In the manual, look under gas cap ) In case it happens again, make sure the cap is on right, and start the X a few times.. the light will reset itself.

Very doubtful, but a few had their oxygen sensor go,,, but these are far & few between.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    ...You are telling us that a loose gas cap will cause an "idiot light" to come on?

What happens if you lose a cap and use a rag? Does it send you to "Nissan jail"?
    no more rag stuffing, something to do with the air vacum. Quite a number of vehicles run this way.
    In the same line, there are no proper sealing "locking" gas caps for the 01 models either, if you get one, it will more than likely trigger the light as well. 00 models can use them without any problems.
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Dealer willing to sell me a 2001 5speed, gold, SE (no hitch or mirror)- $23,500. 3.9% apr.

We had gone back and forth and now... here we are.

But that 2002 looks really good. Too bad it will be about $26,000 for same equip- and no 3.9%.

I may do a cash deal- so the 3.9% is not a big deal- but it is nice to get cheap money when you can.

I know its MY decision- but what are the "communities" thoughts??

Thanks!!
  • xterracopxterracop Member Posts: 14
    I had the check engine soon light come on in my x as well and despite what canuk says I hadn't even filled mine up yet for the first time, only had 100 miles on it. I had mine checked and it was deemed there was a problem with the O2 sensors. Somehow they were not responding correctly when he hooked the diagnostic computer up to it. They fixed it no problem. I have had no other problems with it since and no other problems period with my wonderful X.

It does say in the manual to engage the 4wheel every once in a while to get the fluid in the diff to lube all the gears. You are only supposed to do it on a straight road to prevent binding. I usually kick mine in for about 2-3 miles depending on the road. I live in a big city so sometomes its hard to find a road that is straight. Hope I could be of help to someone out there.

Paul 2001 XE Superblack 3-pack.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Just a further wrinkle - I believe the '01s have a gas cap with a plastic tether. (This is apparently for the people deemed capable of driving a 2-ton vehicle but who can't be trusted to hang onto their gas caps. But I digress.)

Someone had a problem when he put his cap back on without realizing that the tether had gotten wound up in the threads. The cap clicked and he thought it was properly tight but the tether was screwing up the vacuum seal.

Just something else to watch out for.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    I hate to say it.......

The people who responded are correct as to the diagnosis. I hope this is your only problem!

As for the 4WD, everyone is right on! Need to keep it lubricated like everything else good :-)
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Hi. i'm in a similar delimma, do i go ahead with the 01, or wait on the 02. i hadn't heard anything on pricing for the 02 yet - where did you get your numbers? Is that for the Supercharger, or just the SE 02? Just curious. Thanks! Good luck with your decision. i'm leaning for the 01.
    Well- don't look at this link if you don't want to be completely in love with the 2002. It's official- I'M WAITING!!!

http://www.grubbsauto.com/index.html?/nis/xterra02

I'm sure there are those that dislike change and like the square headlights etc like the old Jeep Wreangler- but I think the improvements, particularly the interior, are worth the wait. I hated the upholstery in 2001 SE and XE.

Also- with GAS prices, the Jeep Liberty as competition, look for similar pricing for similar equipment (probably no finance deals or rebates for a while though). I'm planning on about $26k for a 5speed SE with hitch, mats, splash.

I think I'll be able to do it. There are a lot of Jeep Liberties around for the picking at MSRP- everyone said they'd be GONE in a flash. Patience is a car buyer's best weapon.

Good luck- you really can't make a bad choice- cheap 2001 with great financing, or pay more for an updated 2002. I think the depreciation will be a bit higher first year on the 2001 due to new body style on the road.
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    I agree, the '02 is just flat out nice. All around from the inside out and with all the new updates to make things a bit more convenient. But if the prices are too high, which I do not think they will be (I hope to get back tot he states to buy one for a nice labor day weekend sale or something) so that I can catch a nice finance or rebate offer. Just to make my purchase more worth it. I did not think that a '02 SE 4x4 Manual would go for 26K. I am hoping for a bit lower. Maybe I am asking for too much though. If I cannot get it for what I want I will have to get a 4x2. Which will not be the end of the world, but because I really appreciate the upgrades in the '02 I am going to get one.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    In addition to engaging the 4wd every so often remember as part of your overall maintenance to get the fluid in the differential changed, transfer case fluid changed, ask them to lube the grease fittings on the driveshaft, and ask them to lube the 4wd linkage. A lot of these things aren't spelled out clearly in the owners manual (they don't go into much detail in servicing if you have 4wd), but these are all things that anyone with a 4x4 will tell you are a must to keep up with to keep your 4x4 system in proper working order.
    The Xtra hp and the seats alone are worth it! My wife is getting stuck with my '01 while I look at the '02. She could care less about power, cheap interiors, lousy seats and lawnmower tires. Anyone know what tires they are using on the '02? I forgot to look.

Many have emailed me regarding my disdain for the current '01 Xterrable. I just give my honest impressions and facts regarding repairs.

I Also think it would be good to email some on this board who really like the current model. I do guarantee (with only sitting in an '02, not driving it) that there is NO comparison between the '01 and the '02!

cygnusx: Great advice regarding the 4x4!!!! I am sure it will save many monetarily in the long-term.
    msieng, I don't want to put words in your mouth... but you must like the vehicle in general since you are considering the '02...

I agree- where the driver contacts the truck (seats) and where the truck meets the road (tires) are bad, bad, bad. Improving these things impacts the whole vehicle more in a major way than the sum of these few improvements.(not to even mention the optional power improvement!)
    If you already have a bad taste in your mouth with the current X, I don't think the 02 will be any better. But, you have had more than your fair share of problems, maybe one too many, I'd head for a PF. The 02 will be new, and I see a new crop of problems on the horizon.. what the build date ;) I still haven't had anything to run to the dealer with except oil changes.

Lube points on the X ?? Where ?? I was used to doing it on my 4runner, but have yet to find one lube nipple on the X, read somewhere I think everything is sealed. As far as the other fluids.. always something to watch.
    Yes, I do have a bad taste, but the '02 is so much different. The improvements are awesome in my humble opinion. With so many people purchasing "error free" Xterras, I just got a lemon. May give Nissan a second chance.
  • theres2manytheres2many Member Posts: 19
    I started out looking for a 4wd truck and then my wife wanted to look at the cherokee. that meant we had to look at the liberty and both fell in love with it...however...we are a nissan family and love the brand. so if we are changing the target vehicles from truck to suv we have to look at the x. now it gets difficult. There is no way it is an easy choice between the 2. even with the increase hp in the new model x. they are fantastic cars and both drive well but I like the jeep better in all but one reason...JEEP is on the badge. I have owned a wrangler and spent five years with it as my first new car. It was a five year car and pass off the problems to some one else. If the new x is too expensive than I will get the lib. but if they compete dollar for dollar and the gas isn't an issue with the new x...than x it will be.

I thought that reading both conversations about x and lib would help me make up my mind...but I am still torn 50 - 50 on the purchase

when I drove the jeep I went imediately to the x to drive it and then I had to go back to the lib to drive that again...it is not a difference where most people will think high of one and low of the other. the seats are nicer in hte jeep than the x and one is cute and the other tough...looking that is...

if anyone is having the same trouble i would love to hear about your methods and how you are doing with the choice...esp now that the new one is becoming the rave. I just called nissan and they don't have much info on it until mid aug.

if you are a die hard x fan and are thinking about the new one go and drive the jeep. I don't think that i am alone in the mix here.
    The supercharged X will take premium fuel.

I suggest if you have time, to go drive a Supercharged Frontier Crew cab. You'll get an idea what the SC Xterra will be all about. I drove one with an automatic and was not overly blown away. I'd opt for a 5speed regular motor. But it is a personal choice.

It touts itself as being such a muscle machine with the SuperCharger and really didn't deliver. I don't really trounce on the gas as a daily driver, so the so-so acceleration on the X really doesn't bother me personally... but if I am going to order an '02- I wanted to know if I'd regret not getting the SC... I won't regret it.

The new one is going to be nice inside- I am glad they are dumping that old cloth- YUK!- almost as bad as Wrangler interiors- who are these people?

They should, however make the sunroof at least DETACH! It can't slide due to the bump in the roof, but at least let us take it off... almost worth ordering an XE so you can have a removable aftermarket sunroof installed.

Just my 25¢... can't wait for my '02!
    From what I have read the '02 comes with the option in the SE to 'not have' the self-procalimed nightmare of a "sun roof". So that maybe something youwant to look in to. I really think you can order one (SE) without the sun roof at all. How much difference, price-wise, does the SC make? I do not want it, but I am just curious so when I go to bargin, I know what to say.
    holy moly... regular is costing suv owners plenty now the suv I want to upgrade to is going to be even more of a hog. I don['t think i want the sc that bad and I am still having a hard time deciding the next vehicle to purchase. It does put another vote in the jeep collum. or is it the 01 x collum....or the jeep collum....no, the 01 x or...........
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Thanks Hotcoffee for the pics! Definitely that makes my decision one step easier....if I go for the X, I'll wait on the '02.
    Yes, what a mess Nissan made of the immutable sunroof! Why even have it?

I sincerely hope Nissan (Datsun) is changing that option in '02! If they do not, be wary of the pop-up sunroof which is a complete joke and a waste of plastic.

The supercharger should be much better than the POS 170 hp engine; how can one get slower? A high school kid in a stock Dodge Neon blew me off the highway today...what an embarassment!!!! Had to turn off the a/c to catch-up. Was a matter of former Marine pride!

I have faith in the '02 model with the Supercharger. Maybe I am too hopeful, but I fully believe Nissan will rectify the wrongs of the past and improve a lot based on customer feedback and press ratings.....

There are still many '01 models sitting idle on dealer lots and this is for a reason! Many are waiting for the new and improved.
    Well- I can get an 02 X ordered for $500 over invoice... now, to find out if invoice has gone UP from 01. I don't believe it should (except probably for the 300w stereo and, of course the SuperCharger).

That is a deal I will go for (if prices are stable). I'm taking a step of faith in Nissan that the 02 is overall as much of a bargain as the Liberty. Don't want to regret!

If I can share the details of where I'm getting my deal I will in a couple of days. (I'll ask) My initial exploration on 02's was a similar story as Liberty. MSRP, MSRP, STICKER, STICKER.... then I got lucky.

I will post all I can find out as it has become a quest for me now. A big fun game that leaves me better informed every day.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    A Dodge Neon- well look on the bright side. He certainly couldn't beat you in an OFFROAD race!

My sincere hope that you recovered from the event!

Remember, you bought a truck, NOT a hot rod.

My wife has a very fast car to satisfy the need for speed, so we'll be covered.

Maybe you need a BMW SUV?!
    Reading the reviews that edmunds gave the '02 model just makes the wait suck even more! I can relate to the 'Marine mentality', lol, just pull him over and beat his, well, just remind him what he is driving! I am also weary about buying the supercharger because I do not need so much power, but am more interested in tall the other features of the SE '02. I would rather just have the '01 engine and a 4x4 option. I am easy to please as I have had my sports car and now want to do some off-roading. I cannot get enough reading material about the Xterra both '01 and the '02. I am addicted to reading new things and expanding my 'road scholoar' capabilities. I figure it cannot hurt and once you (hotcoffee) reveil your sources it would be nice to make conversation with them and see what they have to say. I hope that there is some sort of pressure on Nissan, fromt he Lib., because that is good for people like us who are wanting to see a good price. So for those who have bought new car before (same month they were on sale), what does one expect to pay? The MSRP or a little over or what? Also, does one have any bargening power when it is first reveiled? Like throw in extra's or is everyone pretty much at the mercy of Nissan and the latest fad? Just curious and would like you all's expert opinion. Have a great weekend and be safe! out here, Sergeant of Marines...
    I would never buy a German car based on principle (even if they are some of the best made) Moreover, the BMW is based on a car frame. The Pathfinder has power and could have blown that little Neon away. The 4-Runner also is fast for an SUV.

Marine, I thought I could live with the 170 hp engine and was wrong. When you strain to enter a 65 mph interstate (which usually drives at (75+ mph), something is not right.

You want to offroad? Well, this is the right truck for that given you change your tires. As said before, I would def. wait for the supercharger and the pragmatic changes Nissan made!

Question for people who know more about mechanics: If you drive offroad with the supercharger, what happens if you get it wet driving through water?
    Just joking about the BMW- I'd never drive a Gernan or Swedish car. (had a SAAB 9000 Turbo).

The Pathfinder is VERY nice... big jump in $$.
    Looks like, from the pictures here at Edmunds of the 2002- you are stuck with the crappy tires (General Grabbers) unless you go for the supercharger- in which case you get 17" wheels and (I think) Firestone Firehawk tires. The wheels and tires are on the 01 Frontier and look really nice...

I don't really like the 4 Prong wheels- I prefer the '01 XE rims. I think XE and SE both get the 4 prongers for '02... not sure though-- just what I can tell.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Nissan Pathfinder has a unibody construction, similar in concept to the BMW X5. The 4Runner's engine is adequate, but it's by no means fast for an SUV.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Huh? Look at the '02 Xterra pictures on the Edmunds first drive column and the tires are 17" BFGs!!!! I am in love! Way to go, NISSAN!!!!!!!

Anyone want to buy an '01 now? Dealers will have a tough time getting rid of them when prospects see the '02.

Marine, wait, wait, wait. The new model looks better and better every day!!!! Maybe I should leave the keys in my '01 in a bad neighborhood?
    I'd be curious which 17"?, I haven't checked into 17", but by memory, they don't make anything aggressive ( offroad ) in that size. In other words, you'd be getting more of a street tire ( ala Grabbers or Longtrails ).. At 17", it wouldn't be right for offroad anyway.. more rim, less rubber.
    Yup msiseng, I am going to wait. Like I said before though it may not be realistic for me to buy a 4x4 due the reality that I will be living in Texas for a while. I think it would be a waste of money, I hear every telling met hat they get around just fine without it. Is the supercharger available in the 4x2? Man, I wish I had a price estimate on these things. This is killing me! I want to know how much more I am going to be investing in this bad puppy. And the tires and the rims on the S/C seem to be very distinct! I like 'em. You seem to have your problems worked out with your current X. Lol. Just don't get shot in the process! ha ha. Are you going to trade in and upgrade or are you going to get that one and let your wife keep hers?
    By the way, that gold is a ver nice color. I hated the pictures I saw of the other gold in the '01 X, but either this one is nicer (darker) or jsut a better angle! It is still a toss up for me, Silver Ice, Black or now this new Gold.
    The wife gets stuck with th '01 and it appears most of our problems have been rectified (knock on wood). She really wanted it and does not seem to care about the same things I do. Funny thing is she notices how bad the Grabbers are on wet pavement and actually wants new tires. Go figure?

Even if the '02 has a 17" less-aggressive BFG tread, it is still better than anything made by General.
    There are grease fittings on the front drive shaft that need lubed if you do any sort of off-roading. Dealer should be able to do it blindfolded. I got my dealer to do mine for free last time I was in.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I thought all the offroaders went with 15 or even 14 inch tires.
    I just talked with a dealer and they wrote me saying: "Internet customers can purchase any vehicle on the lot for $100 over invoice ( what we pay for the vehicle)." Now if this is true I will be getting one heck of a deal if not on the '02's but more than great deal on the '01 X.
    if the new x makes the demand for the 01 shrink are we going to be getting deals that make the 170 hp seem not so bad. There is a line where the price makes the car even better isn't there? and if that is the case, Is there a reason to be buying anything this time of year? why not wait for another 6 weeks to 3months. the dealers want us to think that now, now is the only time to buy... are they right > probably not BUT....
    I guess I'll have to crawl under and look for the nipples, guess I didn't look to hard the last time and then read things were sealed ( which I found strange ) I know I had about a dozen on the toyota.. how many on the X?
    If any dealer is worth squat, they automatically lube when in for an oil change.
    Theres2mant...you're going on the premise that a particular time of year is better then any other. Mmmm..maybe. But if you want a new vehicle and a are a good negotiator - the time of year doesn't matter. Think about it....when is a dealership *not* having a sale? When are there *not* deep discounts? Cars are always "on sale". The "end of summer clearance" ads are all just marketing. They may be willing to be a tad more flexible in their dealings during the summer months, but they're still going to be making money no matter how you cut it. That doesn't change whether it's February or August.
    I don't agree.

If you've got new, improved versions for 1 to 2% more- and a 1 year newer model year.

You are MOTIVATED to get the old model year leftovers off the lot.

They'll take a bigger hit to make the big profits on excited buyers looking at the newest model.

Just my opinion.

So, I think 1 to 2 months before new models arrive is the time to strike on the very vehicles they wouldn't budge from MSRP on a year ago.
    I got the response I was looking for. The internet dealer for this Nissan Dealer in Texas guarenteed me, even on the 2002 models, that she would sell one to me at no more than $100 above what they paid (Invoice). And those are her exact words from my questions that i had asked her. She actually seemed very nice, most don't asd jested about me bringing her some Brazilian coffee. If it means getting a great deal like that, then hell, I will bring her 2 bags! Lol
    In retrospec I to believe that there is a certain 'time' and most importantly 'kind of person' that can buy at the 'right time.' So I combine both of your ideas and say that it is in the middle of your thinking. And this thing about not letting them be your friend, it can work with some people, but if you are truly genuine and you just so happen to catch a genuine dealer then you are in luck. Call it nieve, but it is all about who you know and also in this case what you know! Not many dealers care, I agree, but some do and they are few and far inbetween. Like a dealer referred me to this site so I could find more about the price of the vehicle and he actually quotes his prices from here as well as what I say. But he is my second option and I think that if you ahve options youa re in better shape as well. I really want a new one, so I think I am going to do what it takes. But I do not think I can afford a supercharger 4x4 so will have to settle for a supercharger 4x2. I am also looking realistic. Not much snow in Texas. But then again, I will only be living there for a few years, then transferring to NY again. (I am thiking out loud.) What would you all say, better safe than sorry?
    Marine, be realistic! They are all out for a profit. There is no person/dealer out for your best interest but yourself. Just be careful and watch it. They also have to make a living and feed their families and $100.00 profit is malarky. How do they make money?

They are making it up somewhere. Would you sell an article like a vehicle for only $100.00 profit? I would hate to see them take you!

Beating a USAA price by $200.00 - $400.00 is your best bet! BTW - for those who do not know, USAA is the number one buying service/insurer in the USA. Their services are available to servicemen/women and their dependants. For the record, I do not work for them, but can say their services are AWESOME!

I used to be sell cars in undergraduate school (moved 10 - 20+ Hondas per month) and know that if I EVER sold a car for $100.00 profit, my job would be gone! End of story. Maybe things have changed with Internet buying? You tell me?
    The dealer also gets a 3-4% holdback that is built into invoice- on 30K that's $9-1200.

So, add $100 to that and you get $1000 t0 $1300, and, if they won't drop a $200 ad fee (which I think is bogus)- they can make $1500 on $100 over pricing.

And you still get a nice difference from sticker.

I agree, you have to be careful- but maybe it IS a win/win. And the dealer is honest... but again- have to watch out!

Happy 4th. Thanks to all who have served in the armed forces! You make this day possible and special.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Went out and test drove an Xterra SE yesterday. Nice vehicle. I have to ask though. With 170HP and 200ft/lbs of torque how does this do loaded down with 4 adults and gear? or even a 2.5K tow? or both? Anyone ever tried this?
    On road stability is great for a truck frame. The salesperson even let me take it to a nearby river bank and 4wheel with it! The salesperson was knowledgable about this vehicle which was a nice change. A bit pushy, wanted me to buy right now type of attitude though.
    Let me know about your experiences..