Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• xsexse Member Posts: 66
    haha, funny one- i guess the hold-n-wash isn't a real use of the rack, huh? but i DO use it for that when i wash the truck!

i have to admit i use the bike rack on top daily- its actually alot quicker and easier than throwing it inside.

some long pieces of wood from home depot- but if the rear window went down, i could have fit it inside -working on a new mod for that ;)

of course, the road trip requires the roof rack.
    thats when i pop the gear tray back in the rack to store dog food/bowl and misc. dirty items. works really well for that.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Bikes, bins, shovels, wood, extension ladders, oh hell, just about anything. ( except the wife... but then again.. ) Standing on the rear wheel, you can adjust any load. I'm finally getting a 3rd crossbar, easier to add a bar for long loads, especially when my bike trays are in place.

I considered trying to mod the rear window, but I think I'll make the rear side into sliders ( like the cabs for pick-ups ) either that or a rear sunroof.. need rear ventilation for the dogs, plus driving with the windows open won't be like driving a parachute.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey, 3 on-topic posts. We're on a roll!

Here's what they're getting over the pond.

X-Trailblazer

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

But you know the law of averages...
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    So far, I've only thrown an extension ladder up there. The problem with my X is that when I put the seats down, there's so much cargo room for big stuff, I haven't really needed the rack.
  • xstoshxstosh Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered a new 2002 XTERRA SESC. After much comparison with other makes and models I decided this would definitely be the SUV for me. Now, based on some comments I've read in this message board, I'm a little concerned about the Supercharger. I bought it largely due to complaints about the power of the standard engine, and for the price it seemed like a worthwhile upgrade. But with the need to use only Premium fuel, crappier gas mileage, and possibly limited improvement in power over the standard V6, I'm wondering if I should contact the dealer and go for the standard engine.
    Any comments pro/con would be appreciated. I'm going to pick up my new XTERRA early next week so I need to make a decision (I also hate to get back into bargaining mode with the dealer, I got a pretty good deal on this one.
    STOSH
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Hi there Stosh, and welcome to the board! I have an '01 V6, and I test drove an '02 SC when one first hit my area a couple months ago, just out of curiosity. My test drive was short, but I did notice a reasonable difference in the power of the SC over my V6. As far as mileage goes, it's pretty much going to be crappy anyway, so I wouldn't let that get you down. :) Ultimately, only you can decide if it's worth it having to use the premium fuel - if I had had to make that decision when I chose my X, I think that would have been the one thing to stop me. But on the other hand, it's really only a couple extra bucks everytime you fill up.

I think that no matter which X you choose to get, you're going to love it. I don't have any major complaints about the power (or debatable lack thereof) of my X, but I wasn't shopping for a speed-demon, power-hungry vehicle either. Some people are, and the V6 Xterra might not be right for them. It's really all just a matter of personal preference. HTH!

Mindie :o)
    but here is a first hand account of a 00 now a 02 X owner.. might answer all your debate questions on the SC http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002697
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Does the 2002 Xterra have full time 4 wheel drive?

I read on another board it did- bit I believe it is unchanged (part time hi/low) as it has been from day one.

I think this would have been well advertised.
  • marlboroguymarlboroguy Member Posts: 17
    Xcanuk,
    Thanks for the link to the '00-'02 comparison. As soon as I get mine, I will make sure to do the same thing, but on this forum.
    Mindie,
    Well put regarding the gas mileage. I am so used to paying for 'regular' that it will seem a bit higher, but in the end, the mileage isn't that great with any SUV...I would say $4 more at the most per fill up is the difference, or around $200 per year more than regular if you are filling up once a week. In the end, the premium gas is better for it anyway. If you are the type that will take the extra $4 that you 'would have paid in gas' with an S/C engine, and put that $4 into some type of investment, all the power to you...I know I would just blow it on other junk, but that's just me. The extra power is worth it to me.
    Not being insulting, but it's more of a case of what you are coming "from". Because the X is priced right, (and the marketing magic) the X is the 1st SUV 4x4 Truck for a lot of owners, and you can see the culture shock soon afterwards. Anywhere from bad backs seats, bad mpg, premium if needed, the list goes on.
    The X is my 4th 4x4.. its right on line with everything else I drove, just a different skin, so no shocking results for me. The X is still providing everything I needed, wanted, and expected. The few bucks more for premium, (if I needed it) I wouldn't be saving that few bucks and buying a big screen T.V. with it.
    If you are willing to dish out the extra for the SC and worried about the few cent difference for premium, I wouldn't be considering a suv in the first place.
    Xcanuk,
    Well put!....I am coming frow two leased Pathfinders prior to the '00 X (and I like the X better!), so the gas and $ are nothing new to me!
    Hey, a little extra power comes in handy!

If I were getting an 02 to upgrade from 01- I'd get SuperCharged.

I bought the 5 speed to get a little extra voom on take-off and I am fine with it- but if you can have the best of both worlds I say yes.

One little tweak in the way one spends his/her money would make up for the Premium fuel's higher cost. Having a cup of coffee at home in the morning instead of at Starbucks would more than do it alone- maybe even pay tour whole fuel cost.
    xcanuk- just curious, what year 4runner you had-i was driving around in a newer sr5 and was very impressed. excellent build quality and materials-great suv. obviously, the price is more than the xterra but have you seen the prices on the xterra lately? they are easily approaching $30K for the SE. honestly, if i were buying now (price considered) i would load into the 4runner.

a side note:
    i've noticed that almost any change you do to make your truck better off-road, makes it perform worse on-road... and almost anything you do to improve on-road driving, makes it worse off-road.
    these are 2 very different schools of thought..
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    hotcoffee,

Hey, a little extra power comes in handy!

Absolutely! I owned a Toyota 4Runner, before they went to 6 cylinders, and it was torture driving up the mountain roads in Wyoming and Idaho.

I got rid of it!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Not counting the Toyota cars, (I'd have to double check the years), but I had an 84 pick-up, 89 4runner, and then a 90 4runner.. absolute great trucks, ran the '90 just about into the ground.

I watched the progress of the 4runner, but after a test drive or two during several model years, I found they were getting softer, less of the "truck" I wanted. In Canada, you could no longer order the equipement you wanted, you had to buy their packages, ( get one thing you want, get a dozen you don't ) Canada seems to suck in choice for cars ( just like we only had 1 X in 2000)
    If Toyota went back to their roots, or had a truck like the X, I would have stuck with them. I still think there is at least a 10G difference between an X and the cheapest 4runner here.

As far as the upgrades between and offroad and onroad vehicle.. agreed, but there is a fine line of upgrades that can get an X into both world without losing too much of either ( extreme not considered )

BTW.. the P.U. was a 4 cyl, for the weight, the motor pushed and pulled like no tomorrow.
    Check your email lately.. curious if you did something I think you did?
    the SR5 4WD 4runner is about $26800 (tmv,edmunds) and retails about $28800. plus, toyota is doing 0% apr right now.
    with all the features i would want, it would be about $29000- and the xterra se/sc is about that.

since the 4runner is more adept off-road (optioned correctly, of course) and the quality would put it over the top for me... but its easy to say now, having owned the xterra for 3 years and never having owned a 4runner. i might just be looking for a change of scenery.
    i guess i should just leave it at- both are nice trucks and seriously consider a 4runner if you can get one in the same price range as an xterra. i hear a new 4runner is coming soon, so you might be able to pick one up for a steal soon.

around here, the 4runner is SO common- its nothing special to look at. but, thats neither here nor there, i guess.
    A base cdn SR5 vs. an X is a just over 10G more here, (28000$ / 39500$ + 500$ higher prep and transport), the numbers compare within reason in equipement, but then you have to deal with Toyotas "packages" here.
    The 4runner were awesome, but funny how I don't see any new ones on the trails, the real outgoing ones get a little dirty when they hit the tires on the curb. If given the choice, I think I would head for the pick-up instead.
    I'm not finished playing with my X anyway, I still have some other little mods to work on ;).. part of the fun & reason I got the X.
  • grisouegrisoue Member Posts: 18
    In Canada, the 4Runner clearly is a competitor to the Pathfinder, not the Xterra.

However, with the S/C option (which can be had only on the SE), the Xterra indeed gets pretty close in price to a base Pathfinder (or 4Runner).

I should point out that the base XE model sold here is considerably more equipped than the XE in the U.S. (V6, rails, etc.) so it clearly is the volume leader. I for one would not buy an Xterra for the price of a Pathfinder (established reliability, more roomy & powerful).
  • janipoojanipoo Member Posts: 18
    Yeah, the Pathfinder is really cushy compared to the Xterra but when we were at the dealership buying the X two weeks ago my husband sat in the back seat of a 2001 Pathfinder and his head hit the top. He got into the front and his head didn't hit but there wasn't much room to spare. My husband isn't all that tall at 6 foot 1 inch. It sounds like alot of people on this board do alot of off roading and and I would hate to see someone having to go to the hospital because of a concussion or a broken neck because their head hit the roof going over a bump. Let alone you would pay more to do that.

JANET
    2000 we had the single X Canadian Edition.. a U.S. XE with give or take on a few items, 01 we had the XE & SE ( but still no options nor paks on either ) both years were 4x4 configurations only. I'm guessing 02 is still 4wd only, but wonder what comes with each trim... guess I have something to do during my next free lunch.
    boy, you canuks don't get very many car deals do you? that sucks.

well, my loaded xterra in '99 cost me about $24K- under msrp, in fact. at that price, there was nothing to beat it.

today, a loaded xterra tops out near $27.5 for the same truck. which is par for the course on popular vehicles (lexus ls400 started as a $29K car- it now tops $55K)

anyway, if i were buying today- an sr5 4runner would be really tempting since its price is now within $1K of the xterra. not trying to start anything here, it just all came up when i recently drove a 4runner around and inquired about price.

the xterra isnt quite the deal it once was, i guess. now, this whole thing is moot if (like canuks) you cant get a 4runner under $35K- obviously, it doesnt have the style of the xterra either.
    Canadian dealer logic, less choice, mass produce, less inventory. Went looking for a chevy pick-up for a friend.. different engines, finish levels, packages, trims.. I think you have over 100 combinations in trying to buy a truck.
    The X was simple, pick the color and tranny, sign, and the deal was done. I think it was 28.5$ for me... (less than 20$ U.S.) wondered why more of you didn't cross the border.
    If I had to pick now, I still think I'd head towards the X.. still the most suited to what I want.
    yeah, you should see the options for the ford f-150! the list is like 2 pages long! its pretty crazy.

yeah, that canadian connection for buying sounds interesting. i bet alot of people from border states get in on that.
    Their option pick list has to be 2 pages long, what else are you going to read while you spend so much time at the dealer for repairs...kidding, I know you like em ;)
    ha!:) thats why i bought the nissan!
    After 2 Jeeps, and a SAAB- I bought my Xterra.

I had thought in 1990 when I sold my Nissan Sentra with 120K on it that I'd never buy anything but Nissans- but I strayed.... I came back to Nissan with my Xterra- and this time- It is Nissans for life.

If you ever want to appreciate dependability of Nissans, just buy a Jeep.
    Does jeep come with 10 pages of option lists ? ( See post 1826 ) Actually, if I got back into the offroad scene, I'd still go with a jeep ( one of the older ones ), just with full intensions of breaking it down and making it into a real bogger.. no doors, glass carpet, maybe a waterproof sound system.
    Over the time with Nissan, I can't say I've faced any problems at all... except maybe when they forgot to tighten my wheel nuts.
  • 3w3tz3l3w3tz3l Member Posts: 4
    Question: I am looking at the 2002 X and am not sure of the color to pick...I have owned red, maroon, white, green, silver, and tan colored vehicles...What color X is the most durable, and which colors won't show the swirl marks as bad as the red does....any comments....I know to each their own color;however, I would like to hear it from some of you X owners...I'm leaning towards the gold and the shock blue....I thought I liked the sedona;however, I think there is too much red mixed in the color...whatcha think?

Give me a hollar...

E
    After a little group run in the dusty dirt, silver was the most forgiving ( it still looked clean ) my black showed it all, but with a little work, it looks the best. Yellow came in second. Blue showed up almost as much as my black. Green somewhere in the middle. Does that help?
    A good wax job goes a long way no matter what colour you pick, the rest is inthe eye of the heholder.
  • 3w3tz3l3w3tz3l Member Posts: 4
    "D",

Thanks for the input! I agree with your comment,"A good wax job goes a long way no matter what colour you pick, the rest is in the eye of the heholder."

So I am thinking that the Shock Blue is going to show the grime like the Green and Blue on your reply did...presuming that the Green is the Hunter Green and the Blue is the Dark Blue... Also I am thinking that the Gold is going to have the same results as the silver...

Why do you think the black looks the best? I'm sure it is a deep shine when clean like the Dark Blue and Green. I am trying to look at all angles about this color thing...White is a nice color however, has its cons...Black, DKBlue and DKGRN shine the deepest when clean, but show swirl marks and dirt much faster...Red shows swirl marks real bad, has a nice shine, and is in the middle when it comes to the dirt...Shock Blue is much like the red;however, is more forgiving with the swirl marks...Gold and silver are forgiving with the dirt; however, the shine isn't very radient like the Dark colors...finally there's yellow...probably much like the shock blue and red; however how are the swirl marks?...bad?...

There's my take on the colors...So I am leaning towards the Shock blue...and the Gold....

I welcome comments and suggestions...Yes again, it is up to the owner/future owner what color to pick...I am just looking for other X owner opinions regarding what experiences they have had with the Nissan Xterra Colors...

Give me a Hollar...

Thankfully!

E
  • xstoshxstosh Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my new 2002 SE/SC last Monday. I'd requested (in order) Red (Molten Lava), Dark Blue, Super Black, then Silver Ice.
    The dealer immediately located a Super Black that was loaded with almost every extra - sun roof, towing package, protection package, both sets of floor mats, cabin filter, etc. After trying to get me to pay the additional cost for these they finally gave up and offered the one they'd found for what I'd originally offered, and that was fine with me.
    As you've already heard, black is least forgiving with dirt, dust, etc. But I'd agree with xcanuk that the Super Black cleans up the nicest.
    I would have waited for one of the other colors if it I'd seen one that really grabbed me. The yellow's a little too much for me - at least for my full time vehicle. Ditto for the "Shock Blue" - I've only seen video on this but from what I've seen I'd need to spend some time with it in person before I'd order one.
    From my experience if your biggest concern is a color that hides the grime you can't do much better than Silver.
    Stosh
    (I mean X's) I've found 2 small tricks to owning black, ( not my first ) , final rinse with a flood of water, not a strong stream. Get a California blade, instead of a chamois for majority of drying, no water spot dry marks.
  • johnny44johnny44 Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody know where the microfilter is located? how can I change one? how often can it be changed?
    its behind the glovebox, harder to install than change. I don't have it handy, but I also think its covered in the owners manual. Go over to xterraparts.com , they usually have good intall diagrams for all parts.
    I've had about every color of car/SUV and all I can say is the Gold Rush has looked the cleanest, the longest, and looked good dirty when it finally showed!

Just my .02
    I have ordered the '02 in Gold Rush and the dealer is still searching for that. They did locate my 'second' choice, which is Green, but I've already had a Green Pathfinder. I have a Silver '00 X (which I am trading in) and I loved it when I first bought it, but it seems to be the most popular color and everyone has it now! I hope the Gold Rush doesn't turn into that...I hardly EVER wash it and you can never tell it's dirty, the rain takes care of it mostly.
    I remember they made a "Trophy Bronse" color that was limited to 500 vehicles in '00...which would be nice, because hardly anyone would have the same color as you in that case!
  • staridestaride Member Posts: 7
    Hi,Have any of you had problems with the cruise control? When I pass a car accelerating past the set speed, then allow the X to ease back to the set point, it goes below the setting and then jerks up to the original set point. It's a real jerking motion that I've never felt when using the cruise on other vehicles. I just took the X in to have it checked out at the dealership.
    I have noticed something close to it, but not overly jerky. Were you using the steering wheel controls to accelerate & coast back down? I'll double check when I get on the highway, but I find when using the steering wheel controls solely, it seems to lurch more. When the cruise is on, I usually use the gas pedal to increase speed, coast, then reset the speed on the CC ( before it has a chance to set itself again )
    I have yet to use this feature!!! Try using it on any congested highways in Massachusetts, it is a waste!
    Everytime I go to use it, it is usually during late night, no traffic...do you think I can even see where the button is? I usually wind up putting on the rear windshield wiper, lol....
  • grisouegrisoue Member Posts: 18
    My vehicle is not CC-equipped but, as I recall from past experiences, there usually is a slight jolt when the CC re-engages, unless you are going downwards.
    I agree- too difficult to find seldom used controls in dark.

A seriuosly simple improvement would be for Nissan to backlight the steeringwheel controls...

It wouldn't take much and adds to safety.
    hitting the switch below or on the steering wheel becomes second nature. By accident, I helped the situation.. I wired in reverse lights, installed a second lit (red) switch for them just below the buttons ( above the fuse box ).. it ends up lighting up the lower half of the dash and the footwell as well. ** one warning on this location for a switch, due to your sitting position, the light from the switch may shine in your eyes and become irritating.. the spokes of the steering wheel block the light for me.
    Xcanuk - No I was not using the steering wheel control to accelerate - was using the gas pedal. This happened on straight-a-ways. (Florida)

On a trip I ended up canceling the setting and resetting like you did.

By the way, am going to snow country soon - how does the X do in snow? (2 wheel drive)

Will be taking it back to dealer on Monday to get rechecked.
    I have to go back to the owners manual, but found out I couldn't accelerate, and then resume the previous speed using the controls on the steering wheel, or if you can. In any case, using the controls or pedal, I couldn't get it to lurch.. let us know what the dealer says.

2 WD will do fine for the most part, just remember you are driving a light rear end truck, feather the gas a bit more, added weight will help. I only click on the 4wd for the deep stuff, so I spend a great deal of time in 2WD mode. The X has pretty good balance in snow. How far North you heading ?
    I'll be headed to PA. Didn't know if I'd be a slipping and a sliding, moving and a grooving!
    December weather and all.
  • leelee3leelee3 Member Posts: 2
    Thinking about buying an xterra. Drove it last weekend for the first time and liked it alot. What do you owners think? Is it a reliable vehicle? What about 2WD vs. 4WD...when is 4WD really necessary? Friends of mine think it's dumb to buy an SUV that's not 4WD, but I'm not so sure. Any comments appreciated.
  • cletusecletuse Member Posts: 14
    They have proven, thus far, to be excellent vehicles made in the reliable Japanese mold.The X has also developed an almost maniacal following due to it's offroading abilites and individuality. I have owned two of them. Which brings me to the 2WD vs. 4WD question. When I lived in Houston there was no need for the 4WD as I was not into offroading. I then moved to Santa Fe where 4WD is a very desirable commodity during the winter (snowboarding!) months. I would also add that when I traded in my first '00 X it was 14 months old w/ 27K. I never wavered when trading it in on an '01 even though I could have easily afforded something much more expensive. If you can afford the extra 2K for the 4WD and think there is even the slightest chance you will need it or do some offroading - then get it.
  • janipoojanipoo Member Posts: 18
    I just purchased my 2002 X, 3 weeks ago so I can't really coment on the reliability. I purchased the 2WD; I just made sure that I got the Sport package so I would have the limited rear slip differential. I live in MD and we really don't get much snow; and I won't take it off road(my baby might get scratched) I can tell you that I love the Xterra. It is my first SUV and I don't know why I waited so long.