Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Everytime I come back here, the board looks different. This time the typeface is about twice as big as last time.

For what it's worth, all the Xterra boards have been very quiet this weekend. Everyone must be Xmas shopping.
  • zartanzartan Member Posts: 9
    hi!
    i ckecked this forum for some info on ownership of xterras. all i got was about fifty posts regarding oil changes and an R/C xterra. yeah, thats right, an R/C xterra. who cares?! is there anyone who wants to tell me that they love/hate their truck? how is it off road? is it reliable and functional? should i look elsewhere for a 4X4 that i will definitely use offroad?
    thanks a bunch!
  • likexterralikexterra Member Posts: 17
    So nice of you to come and [non-permissible content removed] about the content of the board to date. If you want to know something, ask. Don't complain about what we were talking about before you got here, we're not required to stick to a limited list of topics are we?

OK, now that I've got that out of my system...
    I think you'll find that we all love our Xterras. It's a Nissan, based on a proven truck, the Frontier, and with a near-bulletproof engine that has been in use for many years, first as a 3.0 liter, and then as a 3.3 liter. In other words, reliable. Functional? It's an SUV, it functions just fine. You can go places with it, you can carry stuff in it, you can put stuff on it... what do you want it to do? And as for off-road ability, it's the best thing this side of $25k other than perhaps a Wrangler, which is nowhere near as useful otherwise. Want to see some pictures? Try here:
    http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=Xterra_Offroad;action=list
    And for the real hard-core stuff, try:
    http://content.communities.msn.com/PikachuX2000/PhotoAlbum
    http://communities.msn.com/philosophersxterra
    http://communities.msn.com/CraisyDaisys2000Xterra

Brent
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    Couldn't have said it better! Some people just don't have the courtesy to be polite (like they own everything). Heck use that tone of voice and I wouldn't even answer his questions. You're too nice.
  • desertx1desertx1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Xterra with 7,000 soft miles on it. So far the rear differential has been replaced and recently the trani is vibrating at cold shifting. There is a loud banging noise coming from the floor board when you hit any bumps. The dealer says it is the parking brake and tried to fix once already. I have been told the differential is a problem with the 2000 models. I have always been a Toyota / Honda guy and have NEVER had any problems with either. Nissan however has yet to impress me with their reliability. I love the truck otherwise. But I just can't get over the major repair problems. If Nissan won't make it right I'm switching back to who I know, Honda/Toyota. Any one had these problems?
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    So it appears we have placemarks again now, as indicated by the "Mark" button next to the time/date stamp. It looks like it might actually be more helpful than the last ones since we can save a description of the post we're saving. I like the (new? or did I just miss it before) subscribe option too.
  • fiddlefaddlefiddlefaddle Member Posts: 1
    Hey there,
    Newbie here still shopping.... I'm in Middle Tennessee and folks here think they own the buyers. I saw a post from Dec 12 about a 4x4 for 23,300 with everything. Anyone else get one like that? If you have could you give me a hint where they are , Dealer names, Cities, States Etc. I woulld really like to get one of these trucks but the
    prices ( around 28500 is what I'm given as "best buy") They put me off a little :)
    Thanxs in Advance folks
    laters
    FD
  • boilerjoe_96boilerjoe_96 Member Posts: 1
    It's been awhile since I've been on the board but the recent snow has led me back here. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!! I have a 2000 EX, 3 pkg. On Sunday I took it through 2-3 foot drifts(of snow, for you in Palm Beach County)about 300 yards long. It was awesome, snow flying everywhere, me just busting drifts. I drive around looking at people spinning tires and I just cruise right past them.

I do have one question for the board. Is it socially acceptable for both me and my wife to have the same type of vehicle? We are considering another Xterra. The only thing holding us back is the gas mileage...... and a bigger engine......
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Tried to post something.. and I get to log in... again.. at least I found the new site... which sucks IMO... lets try this again...
    Now I'm too tired to rag whoever was bitching about us not talking about the X.... go buy a escape.. quite sure they are ragging their recalls for entertainment.. I'll go back to playing with my R/C
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    For a second car, I would buy something differrent for a change and for better fuel mileage such as a car (any car). If you are a Nissan fan, I would take a look at a fully loaded altima with all the bells and whistles that could cost at about 20K which has good performance and great fuel mileage.

Good luck
    I think that someone on this board has already bought a second X for his/her spouse. So if you do, you won't be alone. Who cares about socially acceptable? If you love the truck, go for it.
    Maybe I'd finally get a yellow one to boot. I'd just dress the two of them differently, one a total play thing for off road, and one to play in the city... just to make life easier, maybe an automatic.... naw. Just wouldn't go for the his and hers plates though.

2xterra is the one with 2 x's.. can't remember who has the PF and the X. Cars just don't cut it for me anymore...I'm impressed enough with my X for a second one, but maybe if we were talkin a 3rd vehicle...
  • xsexse Member Posts: 66
    i just relogged on to find this crappy new look!

anyway, whoever told me to tie down the cc cable to stop the dash rattle- thanks! a .2 cent zip-tie and 10 seconds outta my life- priceless!

as for my second choice- it wouldnt be another xterra! i would go for something like the md-x (but it looks like a mini-van). i like the pathfinder,tahoe,f-150...2 of the same anything in your driveway? do you want the neighbors to think youre boring?
    That's our replacement for placemarks. Instead of checkboxes, we get that icon now.
    What is the deal with the no lifes talking about their remote control cars and the look or functionality of the format of this web site? Does anyone have anything of interest to share relating to their Xterra? The real Xterra, not their little toy r/c or how they like the new format, who gives a rats ___ about that. Other than the rear differential being replaced twice now in my 2000 X, it rules.
  • catmanncatmann Member Posts: 5
    Many people on this board have been here (at least on and off) since post number one a long time ago. Virtually every topic has been covered over and over again. So, we move on to side topics until a newbie comes in and brings up a topic again. Or perhaps a new problem is occassionally uncovered, but not every day! If you have a question - ask it. Plus there are other boards that many of us frequent (XOC, Unoffical X site, regional club sites, etc.) If you do not find what you want here - go elsewhere. I guarantee someone is talking about what you want to talk about in one of those sites!
    catman image
    The X RULES.. its as solid as they come, can handle rain, snow, off road and on road. Load it up and go where you might, my dogs love it too. All in all, I love my little R/C... and my real X performs just as well.. and is easier to sit in.
    Just checking... new format.. I read this board, log in, type my post, but when I go to post, I get taken to another page telling me "I'm already logged in ".. post has dissappeared and I have to re enter my post again... anyone else.. or is it just a goofy Canuck connection?
    ... so that we had the option to eliminate the brats who keep coming in and complaining about what we're talking about when they get here. Why don't they just start a conversation they would enjoy instead of blaming us for carrying on one our own? Better yet, they should spend a few days reading all the back-posts (there are hundreds of them!) and they'll see what people on this board do talk about.

xcanuk - I've had similar problems... it tells me I need to sign in even though it says "welcome mindie" but yells at (okay, maybe not yells at, but tells) me when I try to log in again. So it's not just the Canuk connection. I think they're still working out some kinks. :o)
  • sleddinxsleddinx Member Posts: 4
    Catmann is right—many, many topics have been discussed and re-discussed. The folks on this board have TONS of information, just ask about something! My Xcapades are not very Xciting, but I will share. X out if you don’t want to read!

X’d to an Xmas party and on the way home Xited off the freeway onto snow. Got to X in 4X4 mode…Xcellent! X’d to the gym for kick boXing class and saw two other X’s in the parking lot. Took the dogs go obedience class. Dogs LOVE the X, Xpecially the rear window wiper! Received Xcellent raise with 1.5 years of back pay and am now off to Xmas shop. First stop is to X to Target to try and find an R/C X for me! Will be loading up the X with dogs and dogsled this weekend and heading for the mountains. Yup, that’s right, I’ll be Xin’ and sleddin’ on Xmas day! X you all later.
    Got some Xtra symbols in that post. I had tried to post and got kicked around into and out of the "you're already logged on" area and lost my entire post. So I typed it again in Word so I wouldn't lose it and then copy/pasted it into the board. I didn't bother with the "Check Spelling" since it had kicked me to the nowhereland of "you're already logged in" and now it looks like I was swearing!
    I found that by making sure I LOGOUT every time before closing my browser, I am able to post without problems the next time. I just have to make sure I log back in before posting. Kind of a neusance, but at least it doesn't kick me into limbo. Took me enough tries to figure it out though...
    sorry i missed your post earlier- to answer your question, yes model paint will do you fine.
    the best ive seen is the testors black can. its a small spray can with a sticker on the lid indicating color. if you get the silver it will be nearly an exact match. also pick up a can of clear- no need to wait for the silver to dry before painting clear. dont touch the silver paint! just lay on the clear until its gone. 'dust' on the color and build it up. this is the same procedure for repainting a real car.
    sorry.. just seeing if I properly log out.. I can log in and post in one shot...if this works.. thanks 2xterras
    great that works.. ok time for a real X question.

Remember way back when,, we heard and asked about 2 clicks and clunks.

One being the click as we reversed to unlock our hubs, and the clunk.. when backing up and then going forward. They were both written off as normal. I seemed to have lost both of them, and just wondered if anyone noticed.. or didn't notice.. that the sound is no longer there??
  • bigbill2bigbill2 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a Xetrra EX 4WD Auto and we finally got snow (only a couple inches), but I was able to test the 4WD. I tried to go up my driveway and made it about a third of the way and stopped with spinning tires. Placed it in 4WD and had no problems making it the rest of the way up the driveway. My question: I seemed to have differculty removing the sifter out of 4WD. I misplaced my owner's manual and only had the directions under the visor to help. I saw a indicator on the dash (green) when in 4WD, but it was extremely differ cult to move the sifter to extinguish the dash light and thus remove the SUB from 4WD. As you can probably tell, this is my first 4WD. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong.
    The first thing I'd do is find the manual, and spend some time with it, I know its easier to drive first, but that is why its there.
    Second.. we don't make a big thing about it on this board, but buy a dictionary.
    In the short term, the swing of the lever should be smooth. I found it helps a bit by pressing down on it a bit while pushing forward or pulling back. The green 4x4 light is secondary.. it doesn't always click off immediately when you move the lever.. ( its not like a direct on/off switch ).. just keep rolling and it will turn off. Lastly.. once you are out of 4x4 mode.. your hubs are still locked.. no problem.. you can still keep going, but to be totally out of 4x4 mode, you have to back up a few feet to unlock the hubs.
    Now find an empty parking lot.. toss your X around, have some fun and learn the manners of a truck.. you'll be happier once you hit the road.

BTW.. I logged out of this page when leaving.. logged in when I came back .. and still got kicked to the other page after trying to post.. looks like we have to log in..out..in... oh never mind.. its too late for that joke.
    xcanuk,

You're right, I haven't noticed those sounds in my I since I don't remember when. I never really had the click, just the clunk when going forward after reversing. But now, that's gone too. :)

As for the login, are you closing your browser after logging out? I've never tried logging out, not closing my browser, and logging back in to see if it works. I've always closed the browser when I'm done browsing.

I may be wrong, but I believe everyone who is having problems with this bulletin had autologin setup on the old board. Am I correct? Just a hunch. If I'm right, then that means that the cookie stored for the autologin isn't properly being read by this new board. I check this e-mail from work and I hadn't setup autologin there and I don't have to logout and back in every time. Seems to not remember me when I go back (must close the browser or all is off due to caching).

Sorry if I've bored you, but I hope the Gods of this board read this and look into it and fix it.
    I wish they would change the spell checker to default to *ignore* instead of automatically replacing the word with what it thinks it should be, forcing you to tell it to ignore that word. In my last post, the I should be X. The spell checker took the liberty to change it without asking and I didn't catch it to stop it from changing it...

I really don't like this new format
    Just heard back from the dealer regarding the 2nd, yes 2nd rear differential for my 2000 X. They say that the factory had a run of differentials that were not cleaned properly due to a glogged nozzle. I just happened to be lucky enough to find two of these diffs. I identified the problem from a hum coming from the rear end at 45 mph. I'm certainly a little dissapointed with Nissan's quality control so far. I wonder how many other people are driving around with bad ones that have not noticed. My wife did not notice. It was not until I drove the truck did I notice. Any of you X fans heard of that one?
    The hum/whirl diff noise was covered in the previous board here ( VIII ), some have it, some replacements were made, some like me, haven't heard it yet.. and might not. Some type of defect but nothing concrete. You are the first with a production reason, on this board as well as others.
    OK.. now you answer a question.. is your X an auto or stick, and what is the production date... if a nozzle was clogged.. other X's with the same production date should be aware.
    Bigbill2, as far as shifting out of 4WD goes, are you sure you have NOT shifted out successfully? It seems very clear to me when I have moved the shifter INTO 2WD but I have sometimes been uncertain whether I threw it back far enough to go out again. It feels like there is a definite spot where the shifter stops and you know you're in, almost like it clicks into gear, but there's no such feeling shifting out. Just a thought. And I agree, you can't rely on the green light.

This new board seems to have recognized me from the beginning. I never log in or out. I really dislike the new look though.

I still have clunks sometimes (10,000 miles) but I haven't really been paying too much attention to them, just figured its the ABS self test. Never had noticeable hub clicks but I did pay extra for the Whisper Hubs. :-) When they start sounding like chattering teeth, then it'll be time to call Warn.

The rear diff question is still kind of worrisome. It seems that it may be hard to know if you have a problem or not. I definitely heard a whine between 45-50 mph only but it stopped at the 7,500 mile tire rotation. I have a 5sp and the stock BFG Long Trails. I think a more subdued whine may be coming back now but under the circumstances, I'm inclined to attribute it to the tires. I'm curious to know whether those who've had the diff replaced had an unmistakeably noisy whine. Sounds like desertx1's whine must have been pretty quiet.
    Well, forget what I said about not logging out. I just had to cut and paste, log out and log back in again to post.
    Test post.
    I was just curious: When your hubs are in Whisper Mode are you able to fire Phasers without disabling the cloaking device? :)
    I could NOT fire the phasers while cloaked at first but I took it in to the dealer who repaired certain pulse anomalies in the warp core. Under warranty of course. Now everything works fine.
    I think thats Klingon for Merry Christmas and have a good X-mas.
    ok, the board just took an ugly turn into uber-geek country...

happy holidays to everyone, see you on the other side!
    Finally, my X is almost mine. My husband and I went to the dealer today, test drove another auto and a manual for the first time. We decided that we liked the auto better. Since our first visit last month, they had actually received another silver 4x4 SE, just what I want, so we put down a deposit to hold it until we got our loan, which we took care of tonight. Now it's just a matter of me trying to convince him to officially buy it before Jan 2 (Here in KY, property tax is assessed to the owner of a vehicle on Jan 1, so if you don't own the car until the 2nd, you can effectively avoid the tax for an extra year, allowing the car to depreciate and further reduce the cost - I'm not sure how other states and countries handle this). I'm really pushing to get the X before our ski trip next week though. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

On another note that I know has been discussed before, I wanted to ask again about the add-on locking gas caps. Where can such a device be purchased, and for how much? I remember someone having trouble with their gas light(? or something like that) from using a different cap. What was the resolution there? Sorry to bring this up again, but since we've changed formats, I've lost my bookmark to those posts and I don't have the patience to reread all the back-posts to find it.

Happy holidays to everyone - Hope you all have lots of snow to take your X's out to play in!

Mindie
    Finally... good luck with the new X.. good way to start the new '01.

As far as the gas cap, usually they are available at the online stores ( xterrapart.com or xterrastore.com ) I just noticed recently they now specify that they are for 2000 only. I can't understand why, but I've read '01 owners having problems with the caps, what Nissan changed in the filler thread is unknown.. Looks like you would be better off waiting a bit, and checking online every so often.
    Unless you are getting it to avoid some fool from putting something in your tank, ( or stealing it for some unknown reason ), you can put it as a priority.. If you are worried someone will syphon the tank, they can't.
    The great gods of the board must have put in the fix, you can sign in and post in one shot...
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    Hope you get your X soon. Here in NY, we don't have to pay property tax on our vehicles every year, just sales tax when purchased. I lived in VA for a short while and was SHOCKED AND APPALLED at the property tax concept.

I wish everyone and their X a happy and SAFE holiday.
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    anyway, like i was trying to say before...i have NO idea if my last post posted...i have about 4600 miles on my '01 X and was wondering if you guys had any advice on oil changes and maintenence etc...i know that i read in the owner's manual that under normal wear and tear that every 7500miles is okay, but i don't know if i believe that or not...i don't feel comfortable going 7500 miles w/o an oil change. i drive it pretty hard, about 60 miles a day. i think i'm gonna get it changed right after X-mas (no pun intended!!!) what do you guys think and when do you guys get it changed???

anyway, here's to wishing you guys a Happy Chanukkah, Merry X-mas, Joyous Kwanzaa, and Joyous Festivus :) which ever applies!!
    7500 sounds about right for normal conditions. when you say you drive it hard for 60 miles a day, do you mean dirt? stopngo traffic? in those cases, change as soon as 3000miles. as long as you do regular changes every 3500-7500 miles, you'll be fine.

synthetics will let you extend that time out. if you are 'driving hard' often (as in alot of off-road driving) and have to change sooner anyway, buying synthetic would be a waste of $.

most people do major overkill on the oil changes somehow believing that the local jiffy lube knows more about their car/truck than the manufacturer... $ and time down the toilet, imo.
    I may be one of those people who do major overkill but I change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles or so. It seems like very cheap insurance to me. I don't have to worry about what kind of driving I'm doing, extreme, dusty, whatever. The manual describes the different conditions that warrant changes at 3,000 v. 7,500.
  • haldudehaldude Member Posts: 18
    Greetings everyone. Seems these X machines are good at producing strange sounds. I've read about lots of them, but none seem to describe the one mine is making. I have a 2001 XE manual. Ever since I rolled it off the lot, I have heard a real annoying sound when the engine is under load. In the range of about 1500 to 2200 RPM I'd say. It seems to be coming from the right side of the engine compartment and sounds most like some sort of baffle. When I looked around in that area, I did find a baffle that might be suspect, but my attempt to dampen the noise was unsuccessful.

Naturally, when I complain to the dealer about it, I get the usual B.S. response (Could not duplicate customer complaint..) This is horsecrap.

I think there is more brainpower, interest, innovation and solutions in this user group than the 'pros' at the Nissan dealer have to offer.

So there you have it. Go for it! And, THANKS in advance!

P.S.- I preferred the old format on this board better, myself.
  • haldudehaldude Member Posts: 18
    To continue... I don't think I gave enough detail about the type of sound. It's sort of like a buzzing and rattle combined. But not a real high pitched sound. Sort of muffled, I'd say. And it definitely doesn't sound like large heavy parts are involved.. That's why I say it may be some piece of sheet metal or something.
  • xruggerxrugger Member Posts: 3
    Just gave myself a little X-mas present and bought my 2001 SE 4x4 Auto in Cloud White. I after getting deals of about $25,000 I found one for $23,000. Pissed off one dealer in the process, I would not recommend MidCity Nissan in Chicago after that experence (have to write Nissan about that). Anyways I've been driving my X for 3 days now and I love it. Its seems wierd now when I get in the Saturn that I have been driving for almost 9 years now.

Now I have to find the R/C Xterra. :)