Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    the Xterra is a serious soccer-mom mobile. Everywhere I look, a middle aged woman is driving an X. In the three years around here, I've seen maybe two or three driven by men. Maybe it's just this area?
  • phillyguy2phillyguy2 Member Posts: 27
    CALTMAN: In my area you can get any model X for $200 over invoice, which wipes away competition in it's class.
    BSKOHLER: Test drove one tonite(SE 4X4,no SC). Power a little lacking. Amenities lacking(no power sunroof,power seats,learter,etc.)Excellent Nissan build quality. Handling fair to good.Value-excellent. Gas mileage poor(same as Pathy).Looks, GREAT! Comparing to CR-V like apples & oranges.Actually it's hard to compare to anything if you factor in the price.
  • gpitt1gpitt1 Member Posts: 1
    Just found a service engine soon ?? truck has 1,700 miles on it.there is a little bit of a misfire when starting it.otherwise every thing is copasthetic.will be in dealer on monday, but does anyone have any idea what this could be ?????
  • bskohlerbskohler Member Posts: 53
    The Xterra lacking power thing is subjective, really. I heard that a lot before I bought mine, but after owning it for a year now I find the power is fine. It's not rocket, but then again, it's not meant to be. It's a truck. Power is pretty much the same as 4-runner, Montero, Rodeo, etc. Torque is excellent.

Handling, well again...it's a truck and it drives like one. Steering is a bit numb, especially if you're used to driving a car. Handling is decent, I think, compared to others in it's class. Braking is pretty good too for 4000lb SUV.

Build quality is very good. I've pounded mine on some pretty serious rocky off-road trails and I still have yet to hear even the slightest squeak or rattle. Not to say some X's might not have their share of problems like this (like most cars), but on average I think the X is built pretty tight.

Can't really compare it to the CRV, Escape, RAV-4, etc. Those suvs will ride/handle much, much nicer on the pavement (more car-like) than the X. But they don't do well off-road (probably ok for snow though).

What I like about the X is that it strikes a perfect balance between a 9-5 commuter vehicle and a weekend off-roader/trail rider. It truly is a utility vehicle.

My advice is always to get what suits your needs.
    If you don't leave the pavement, there are better choices out there then the Xterra. And if you're on the fence about getting the 4wd option...get it! I know a lot of people who bought 2wd Xterras (and other 2wd brands) and now after taking them on some mild trails - wish they had spent the extra $1,000 or so on a 4x4.

The only negative, in my opinion, are the tires Nissan puts on the X (probably a cost cutting measure to keep the price within reason). The stock tires hinder what the X can accomplish with a real set of AT tires. This is true of most manufacturers though. They tend to put on street or all-purpose highway tires to cushion the ride and keep costs lower.
  • janipoojanipoo Member Posts: 18
    Apparently this is a problem with the Xterra's. I had to take my X to the dealer because my light came on also (there are posts about others also above). The light will come on if the gas cap is not on tightly and also you cannot top off your gas after the pump cuts off, that is what happened to me. If you are having misfire, it sounds like something is going on though. I don't understand why Nissan didn't use a gas light instead of the service engine soon light.

COMMENT ABOUT SOCCOR-MOM MOBILE-I am definitely not a "soccor-mom" but I do see a lot of women driving the X around my area also (MD).

COMMENT ON 2WD-I own a 2wd X, and I have not had any problem on wet surfaces, I actually got stuck coming back from WV in snow on curvey country roads and thought the X performed very well. I don't go off road so there was no real need for 4wd. We needed a bigger vehicle to carry more stuff and for the price, we couldn't beat it. Besides, I like the way the X looks oppose to others out there. If I was willing to pay out the "butt" for a monthly payment, I could of gotten something more cushy-But I couldn't be anymore happier with my X-My wallet is happy also. As far as the X being noisy, well, it is! But the radio usually takes care of that-besides it goes back to the comment I just made before this one. PAY MORE MONEY vs A LITTLE LESS NOISE

JANET
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    We've had a pretty easy winter on the east coast so I'm wondering if you've really driven in decent snow. I know my Pathfinder is all over the place in bad weather in 2wd, and perfect in 4wd. They are both rear wheel drive under normal conditions. Do you have a stick or Auto, since a stick would give more control?
  • caltmancaltman Member Posts: 240
    Well friends, my wife and I engaged in dealing this evening. Embarrassingly, we test drove a loaded Mazda Tribute last night (had to because it has leather, moonroof, etc., and my wife wanted to see what it rode like). Salespeople absolutely kill me. Sorry if anyone who reads this sells vehicles, but boy, it was a sorry sight. The sales manager's first words when we walked in were, "Hey Pat, these guys are looking for a Desert Metallic loaded ES-V6. We have the only one in Wisconsin right now, and they're the fifth group to call about it today..... blah blah blah." I almost fell over in laughter. Then later when they realized that we were looking at Xterras also, I got the 'ole, "well, we haven't been having to discount these at all because of the high demand, but Mazda challenged us this month to sell 10 Tributes, and we sold the ninth one last week, and we'd sure like to sell the 10th. We have been given the OK to discount this one a little more than normal... blah blah blah." Not only pathetic, but insulting to my intelligence. WHO CARES because tonight, we drove the Xterra baby, both the SE and the SE S/C! My wife wasn't even out of the parking lot, and she said, "Ok, this is what I want." Thank God!!
    I can say hands down that the S/C is what we will be getting. I could really appreciate a difference between the two. We absolutely loved our test drives. The damn thing feels like a tank ready to be beat on! But then the depressing interaction with the salesman began. He said that they were willing to sell at invoice prices because Nissan is at the end of the fiscal year. I thought, well, invoice would be entirely acceptable to me ($26518 or thereabouts). Then he brought out the invoice on the SE which was around $26k (bullcrap, but whatever) which is a nice trick they sometimes try so you think damn what a great deal and proceed with the paper work as you begin consciously thinking that you've got it sealed only to later say ooops, that wasn't the S/C invoice, it's actually a little more, hoping you're far enough into the deal that it will be harder to end. Well, we caught on instantly, so then he brings out the 'ole photocopied "invoice sheet" that says their invoice was $27018... the EXACT price on www. carsdirect.com. The he added some extra stuff for $27132 as a total price (wasn’t listening at this point) HMMMMM I wonder if that was because I had told him I had been researching the Xterra on the net for the past 4 months?!?!?! Then he proceeded to go into the 'ole line about how edmunds.com and the other car info sites don't take into account advertising costs, and blah blah blah.
    Then the mood changes and suddenly Mr. Nice Salesman isn't so nice anymore. As if subtle hostility and superciliousness is going to somehow make me buy. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic. I told the guy I really was only there to test drive tonight, and I didn't want to get into the numbers at which he quickly said, "well, there isn't really any numbers because I don't sell S/Cs for less than this invoice.... (then the big classic one came rolling out of his mouth)... you won't get this vehicle for any cheaper than this anywhere." At this point I almost fell out of my chair thinking, "hasn't car salespeople school taught them not to say that stupid line anymore?!?!?"
    EVERY time we've bought a car some sorry salesperson has used that line, and EVERY time, I've found a dealer who will meet my offer exactly. I guess they have to try because some people walk into the store and pay sticker or think they are getting a great deal when they get $500 off without knowing that the dealer made 2 grand off the deal not even counting the holdback, etc. Well, I didn't really lay down the law with him tonight because my wife doesn't like being around the dealing when it happens, so I played stupid and walked out saying we were going to talk about their great offer. He wouldn't even make eye contact with us when we left. I felt sorry for him.... that's got to be a tough job especially when educated buyers (although I didn't really engage tonight) come in.
    Well, at any rate, the Xterra is frickin' phenomenal!! I'm glad my wife has made a commitment to it.... so let the hard ball begin. I'll keep a posting of the adventure (for those of you who care to read it) of the progress. I'm thinking "fair" will be around $26600-26800, and I know someone out there will oblige.
    Can't wait to own this wonderful truck, but patience is a virtue!! Peace!
  • janipoojanipoo Member Posts: 18
    Your right, we have had a really mild winter. I have an automatic. The snow that I drove through wasn't that deep but it was coming down pretty good, and I had to come across 2 lane country roads over mountains. I also encountered sleet in the process. The only time I slid was when I came across some idiot that would come to a complete stop than move a foot and so on, then she would go flying over the next mountain and I would come across her again coming down. I work from home so I have the luxury of not having to go out when it snows. If I worked outside the home I would of gotten the 4wd. If you have ever driven a mustang in any wet weather, you can appreciate any other vehicle in bad weather. After my mustang, I got a firebird and everyone told me that they are the worst in snow. I had no trouble, unlike with my mustang, I got stranded many times.

CALTMAN- I loved your post, oh, how it brought back memories. I too did a lot of research before buying, I knew exactly what I wanted and stated that. I ended up getting everything I wanted plus for less. I found that instead of calling the dealership or going in (I too was usually not in the mood to hear the crap), I would email. If the dealership has a website that has their inventory listed, usually they offer a bigger discount that way oppose to just walking in. I don't go by their so-called invoice because they just make them up, but I knew what I wanted and how much all it was by invoice and MSRP. I got a 2002, Xterra XE 2wd, with the power, utility and sport package, in-cabin microfilter, side guards, grill and light guards and the automirror that displays the temperature and compass. I paid 21,900. The MSRP was over 24,000 and the side guards wasn't listed on it. It kinda funny (or reversed), I do all of the negotiating. When it comes down to talking price, my husband goes off and does his thing. He says "go get em tiger".
    Stick gives no more control than the Auto in the snow. In fact, the auto is geared slighlty lower and does better tha a manual on slick hillclimbs. The manual does a better job of braking the engine on descents though. All in all, there's really no noticeable difference. Driver experience is probably the biggest factor.

Getting a decent set of AT tires will improve snow traction - both for 2wd and 4wd. The stock street tires aren't meant for anything other than highway cruising in my opinion.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Maybe because I spend more time with it and in it, manual does have an advantage over an auto. Taking off and stopping isn't the main differnce, its control over your engine for general driving. Stops the rear end from dancing and moderating your speed. Better torquing down your engine than using brakes ( maybe that can fall into engine braking, but upshifting when needed has its benefits too )
    As far as tires.. I was generally impressed with the LTrails in snow ( when the X was new, first winter ).. I did move to duelers for the winter. I got caught this year though, thought spring was here to stay, swapped my tires & rims back to my LTrails.. and we proceeded to get multiple snow storms.. Slightly worn LTrails do suck.. well, compared to a real winter tire.
    I also spend most of the time in 2WD in winter.. I save 4WD for the deep stuff. The X handles quite well and is nicely balanced.. better than my 4runner in the same conditions. A little extra weight in the back of a 2WD would do wonders.
  • mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    My invoice from the factory is 27019 on SE Super-charged with roof,micro,mats,guards,protection pkg,tow hitch.
    MSRP was 29073.
    Sounds like you went in looking for a fight.
    I could be wrong though?
    Well, whoever told you that was smoking crack! :) We bought a brand new 4X4 SE S/C last night for $26750 ($232 over invoice). Probably could have gone a little less, but thought it was a fair deal. MSRP on ours was $28944 (got all the same stuff as you except the protection pkg). These trucks ROCK !!
  • bnun1bnun1 Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

I was a proud owner of a 2000 Xterra until last Saturday when it was totaled. :( First, just so y'all know, the Xterra is one safe vehicle. I hydroplaned in really bad rain off a 40 foot drop. I landed on my front end, then fell at an angle into a creek. Surprisingly, I'm not hurt at all! The Xterra held up amazingly! The body remained strong. The Xterra was totaled, but it kept me safe.

Therefore, I'm looking for a new car and the 2002 Xterra is high on my list but I have a few questions.

1. What's the mileage on the V6 Super charged? My 2000 V6 5-speed averaged right at 20. I was just wondering what effect the Super charger had.

2. Also, I've always heard negative comments regarding turbo charged engines. Would the Super charger have any long term negative effects or require higher maintenance costs?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Brandon
    Brandon, shoot me an email at bunky@creighton.edu. We absolutely love our new S/C. Still on the first tank of gas. I'll let you know what the MPG are after I fill for the second time. Good luck!
    The only real drawback to a S/C is you have to use premium fuel. If that's not big deal to you then there really isn't any major difference. The S/C tends to whine a bit, but again, that's not an issue for everyone. Most S/Cs at some point just plain old stop functioning properly, so it's an added bolt-on piece of equipment that could fail - but so could any other part of the engine. Superchargers aren't rocket science though, and the type the Xterra uses (Eaton roots type) is a pretty common one, so fixing it should not be a problem.

Had it been available when I bought my 2001, I probably would have bought an S/C, but it wasn't. After owning my 2001 for a year - and driving a few 2002 S/C models, the power increase isn't enough to make me want to run out and trade in my 01 for an 02. But given the choice, I'd go for it if you're buying new.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get. The Xterra is a great truck.
  • rapriderraprider Member Posts: 42
    Hi, Xterrans!
    I am wondering if any of you have the interior bike rack made exclusively by Yakima for Nissan?

I have an '02 Toyota Highlander (I know, blasphemy!), and have heard on that board that it will fit in my vehicle.

If you have this item, I would appreciate it if you could email me at raprider@yahoo.com with your feedback, good and bad.

Thanks much!

Rap
    Save your money, 20 bucks and you can make your own. Standard set up is 2 fork skewers to a wooden plank. I modified it one step further and can carry three bikes without handlebar conflict

http://www.geocities.com/x_canuk/rack3.html
  • rking1966rking1966 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking at SUVs and are beginning to be really sold on the Xterra. The posts on all msg boards (Carpoint, here, etc.) are better than on any other SUV. I have found a 2001 SE 4x4 with 9200 miles that is Silver (we really prefer black, but no biggie) and I was just wondering if we should dive in. It's priced around $23K and that seems to be a good price. Any comments that would be helpful?

The post about the guy hydroplaning and totalling, while reassuring about the construction of the Xterra, was a little scary in that we have not owned a rear-wheel drive in many years and I'm a little concerned about that. Or is it recommended to use the 4wd in the rain, etc.?

Thanks!
    I'd go for it, but not at that price. I think for an 01 you should be able to get it cheaper. My 01 SE 4x4 was 24,900 out the door. I'd shoot for $21,500 to $22,500 if you can. 23 seems a tad high.

As far as the rear wheel drive...well...the Xterra is not a car and thus will handle much differently than a car. If you've never owned a higher riding, rear wheel drive vehicle, like a truck or SUV then it may take a little getting used to. You can't take corners like you can in a car (like off-ramps and such) at high speeds. The rain is not a problem really. The biggest negative is tires. If you feel it is too squirrely back there during the rain, then the first thing is to ditch the tires and get a better set. I did and now my wet traction and braking is awesome. Most suvs are this way though, so it's nothing particular to just the Xterra.

As for the 4wd...no, you can't use it on the pavement at all, not even in the rain. The Xterra comes with a true part-time 4wd system just like many other "truck-based" suvs. It should only be engaged on loose surfaces such as mud, snow, dirt, grass, etc. The system will bind up on pavement - wet or dry.

Do a search on part-time systems and read up on them a little. There are tons of articles out there that will explain it. If, after that, you're still confused, just ask on the board here. Many of us here can help you with questions.

Good luck, hope you get the Xterra (p.s. I have the silver ice too and love it...even when it's dirty it still looks clean).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd be interested in hearing some more comments about rking1966's question. This article about the return of some RWD sedans got my attention:

Some Drivers Encounter Problems with Rear-Wheel-Drive

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • romulandmzromulandmz Member Posts: 7
    In my opinion it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I've driven both types and for me, RWD works better. The only time I ever got stuck in snow was with FWD, pretty bizarre, but true. The overwhelming majority of vehicles I've owned over the years have been RWD, so that is what "feels right" to me. With the X, I have the 4WD option to use when needed.
    xcanuk,

thanks for the fotos...pretty cool job...
    unfortunately, dear wife would have my head if...

so, anybody else?
    info on the interior rack for the xterra (for my highlander)?

thanks,

rap
    Your wife has something against saving $$$. ??? For what its worth.. I've been helping another X owner with an interior rack.. he has the Xterra one and says its a bit of a pain to put in & remove. You can always check them out over at www.xterraparts.com or www.xterrastore.com.. just one of the cheaper places to shop on line.
  • dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Hi!! I was quoted $24,400 as the invoice price for an SE with manual transmission (no options). I was looking right at the invoice, and it was, or at least looked like, a legit invoice. Does this sound right?

Also, what do people get for city mileage? I'm assuming that the 16 MPG is low because of the factoring in that needs to be done for 4X4 driving. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks!!

d
    Nope.. that's normal regular driving, lowest 14mpg using 4x4 in winter (city), highest 19mpg highway constant 65mph, mix of city/light highway 16mpg... same as any other 4x4 I've had. 2000 manual.
    The X is gonna get 16-17 around town....and that's considered good mileage. I get around 22 mpg or so on long highway trips, but that's rare. If you drive around town and you are getttng 16 mpg then you're pretty much right where you should be (unfortunately) :)
    xcanuk,
    what you missed was the fact that my wife would kill me if i drill holes in her new car...even if it saves me $200!!!

rap
    take a second look.. "no" holes were drilled into the X.. The skewers are drilled into a board, the board & the skewers are placed into the cargo area.. at the most, the "stock" cargo hooks (if the highlander have any) are used to further lock the board into place. But it holds steady without them. In any sense, its the same logic as the $$$interior bike rack.

If you really want to drill the Toyota.. I won't stop ya :)
  • wluo_yahwluo_yah Member Posts: 2
    I have a Xterra 4x4 2000. It runs well until last Saturday when I came out from a shopping center, I turned on the engine. The engine was trembling and rph changed wildly before the engine stopped running. I turned on the starter again, and the same symptom repeated. Finally the engine even refused to run at all.

I rely on this car heavily and put 32000 miles on this car in two years. Fortunately, it is still under warranty. I had it towed to my orignial Nissan dealership this morning. To my amazement, the dealer was changing ownership and no longer accept Nissan warranty. Neverthless, they checked the problem and told me that the fuel pump was broken. I believe that they tried to coax me into fixing the problem at their place by luring me with free of chage fix. But I have do a more than $500 30,000 mile matainance there. I refused to fix it there.

I had the car towed to another Nissan dealer. They are going to check into it and let me know tomorrow.

For those living in central Jersy area, the first Nissan dealer is Laborila Nissan at red bank. The second Nissan dealer is Pine Belt Nissan at Keyport. I will report the latest progress tomorrow.
    I must have lost something somewhere, you have a "Nissan Warranty".. not an ABC Dealer warranty. As far as I know, they are supposed to cover it without any strings attached.. new owners or not.
    I bought my X at one dealer, didn't like their service, moved to another dealer and haven't had any problems with warranty.. actually the service dept gives me more even though I didn't buy the X there.
    As far as service plans.. I always compare what the dealer wants to do and compare it to the manual.. you'd be surprised how much you can knock off their service $$ and keep the warranty 100%....
  • dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Dear XTerra owners:

I'd like to ask you for your input on the 5 best reasons to buy an XTerra. Yes, I know it "looks cool", but I'm more interested in more substantive stuff (not looking for a chick magnet, because I already have an extremely cool chick to whom I've been married for almost 15 years).

We already have an Explorer which has been completely wonderful and 100% trouble free at 48K miles. I was considering an Outback wagon to kind of compliment the Explorer's SUV characteristics. But when I drove the XTerra I liked it so much I've had a change of heart. Please let me know what YOUR reasons were for buying, and also how reliable/wonderful/horrible/whatever your XTerra has been. Thanks VERY MUCH for this input!!

d
  • xverbxverb Member Posts: 1
    Question: What can I do, inside the manufacturer's warranty, to improve horsepower/mileage (I know they don't really go together) in my 2002 Xterra (SE, 4WD, Auto)?

Thanks.
  • wluo_yahwluo_yah Member Posts: 2
    I had the engine fixed today. It is the fuel sending unit that was broken.

As far as the warranty, the dealer that I purchased the car from was in a transition
    of changing owners. So they refused to take warranty. The second Nissan dealer fixed it without charge, but......

They only covered the towing for no more than $50. In my case, I towed the car twice and it costed me $125 in total, only $50 is covered. They do not cover car rental, and they persuaded me into buying their maintance for more than $400...... I should have checked xcanuk's email earlier.

So the lesson is when dealer says they want to do something that you orignially do not plan to have them do, say "no" on the phone. Think more about it when you hang up the phone. You can always have the service done by calling them up.
  • xtirol9xtirol9 Member Posts: 27
    These are my two cents despite the fact that I don't own one yet. :-P

1. An affordable 4x4 price range considering other competition. 4Runner anybody?
    2. Available supercharger.
    3."Everything you need, nothing you don't." quoting Nissan's commercial. No frills or anything fancy on the truck.
    4. For people who actually use it for its purpose.(ie. off-road, biking, hiking, etc.)
    5. And from what I have seen from here, not that many problems considering this is its third year. If you do want to check, find other message boards about the Xterra.
    First off, (only cuz you're happy with the exploder) I'd go for the outback.. only because its a complimentary vehicle.. as much as I love the X, and would get another one to replace it, I'd look at a Pick-up or a car as a second.. increase the range/purpose for travelling.

5 reason why I got mine... I'll limit myself

1) comparable SUV's were too car-like, I like the truck feel.
    2) very basic in set-up and easy to customize to your own liking. ( I hate getting a fully dressed vehicle that I'm gonna swap parts on anyway )
    3) Nice interior space even with the rear seats up, easy to load.. 2 dogs and always going to home depot for projects
    4) Great rack... ever notice most other suv's don't come with crossbars.. bikes, gear, canoe.. it can handle it all.
    5) Well mannered on the road, (power & handling) you don't have to worry to much if you go off the pavement.

Downfalls.. typical MPG for a SUV (low).. after 2 1/2 years.. no other complaints.
    ALL YOUR EXPLODERS ARE BELONG TO US!
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    All your exploders belong in the boneyard. Lol.

The internet phenomenon that just wouldn't die.

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

WE GET SIGNAL!
  • jackdotcomjackdotcom Member Posts: 5
    Raprider,I bought the interior rack right away after I purchased my X 2 years ago.Installation was a breeze.Two bikes and two wheel forks will fit in the Xterra although a bit snug.The skewers can be adjusted up or down to accomadate different handlebar widths.I've carried all kind of different combos of mine and my buddies road and mtn. bikes.The best thing about the rack is it is solid as a rock.When tightened down you can't budge it.There is also the obvious plus of having your bike(s)out of sight.The rack secures to the X via a pair of "O" rings that come prebolted to the truck.Your Highlander may not have a comparable setup.Overall I love the rack and I've always got one bike or another in it.I paid $150 for it at xterraparts.com
    Just when I said that there were few problems, boom there it is. Just my luck. :-P

http://edmunds.yellowbrix.com/pages/edmunds/Story.nsp?story_id=29448023&ID=edmunds&scategory=Auto&

That's for 2002 X's only. And I don't believe it's actually the airbag itself, but rather a code which could (or could not) mean the airbag is going to work properly.
  • mudparkmudpark Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone. Here's hoping someone can shed some light on my issue. I have had my 2002 Xterra for about four months and about once a month I have to take it back to the dealer to have the roof rack decals reapplied. Within a few weeks of application, they begin chipping off. I have talked to the head service guy and he tells me to avoid high pressure car washes. I have been careful, but It doesn't seem to me that your standard touchless car washes should destroy your decals after one or two washes. Not sure what I can do other than continue to replace them or have them removed altogether. Anyone else have to deal with this frustration?
    I know a "few" owners have had problems, but I think they only had to have them replaced once. Off hand, it sounds like the dealer is not doing a proper prep on the rails before he puts on the sticker.
    I use touchless car washes in the winter, and I use a my power washer most of the time.. no problems here.. ( I don't exactly aim at the crossbars when using it though )
  • cubster1cubster1 Member Posts: 11
    an option for the sticker (and sometimes paint) coming off the rack is the spray in bedliner. they match any color and not too expensive. friend did it and the rack looks nice and is twice as protected. hope it helps!
  • xterraprincessxterraprincess Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Xterra in December '99 and still love it. However, I have had a couple of problems and just wanted to see if any of you have run across the same: In October 2000, my A/C high pressure hose had a leak- of course, at that time it was still under warranty, so it was replaced at the dealer. Just this month, I had the exact same problem. I have 42K miles on my car and since the repair was done over 12 months ago, I was on my own. When I called around auto part stores, they were all surprised that I needed that part so quickly- I explained to them I needed it twice already! None of the stores I called had that part yet. I filed a petition w/Nissan Manufacturer and luckily, they repaired it for me. But... here is my question- why should a truck about 2½ years old have this problem with the A/C high pressure hose leaking? Mind you, I live in San Antonio, so the summers can be pretty brutal, but any feedback?
  • mudparkmudpark Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to all for the feedback. I may try the bedliner spray as a last resort. I am hoping they will get it right on the 4th try.
    Is the hose actually leaking or is it coming off? It's probably a clamp that isn't on correctly. Pretty common on many X's.

Or you have too much pressure entering the hose. Did they ever do a diagnostic on the A/C and compressor? If not, that could have something to do with it.
  • docnilaydocnilay Member Posts: 1
    Hey! Just got a 2002 Xterra - and am now addicted to this great truck. Does anyone know where some of the cool TV ads can be found on the internet?

Thanks!
  • flippergolflippergol Member Posts: 1
    Hello, maybe someone here can help me...I've had my Xterra for 6 months now, and I can't seem to stop this extremely annoying passenger seat shake.
    I've taken the truck to the dealer for tire work, I've taken it to Midas and nothing...the shake on some roads is so bad, that even with someone sitting on the seat, it shakes them as well...and at speeds between 65 and 75, on open highway (I live in Miami, Fl. and travel to Disney World a lot on it...) the shake is unbearable...it feels like if the whole truck is coming apart. Can anyone please help me...I love my truck...but I can't take the shaking...