Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• bskohlerbskohler Member Posts: 53
    Is the passenger seat physically shaking? As in, it's not secured to the floor? Or do you mean there is a vibration from somwhere that can only be felt while sitting in the passenger seat?

If you mean the latter, it could be a lot of things. Without more specifics, I'd ask them to check:

Driveline (could be a harmonic imbalance somewhere)

Engine mounts (known to break in a very few cases with Xterras. not likely, but it's a possibility.)

Tires (balancing out of whack)

Something in the right suspension (did you bend a tie rod? Is you CV joint leaking or damamged? Anything under there not look right?) Do you offroad?

I'd ask them first about it being a driveline problem. Maybe all you need is a new shaft, which is no big deal.
  • creek1creek1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Xterra SE and just recently have had problems with my passenger seat shaking side to side in the front. I noticed that some else also had the same problem. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They told me that when they went and test drove a brand new X just like mine the passenger seat did the same thing. However, I don't ever remember the seat shaking and vibrating like that when I bought it. Is this really normal?? Please let me know if anyone has this same thing going on. Thanks.
  • skipneesskipnees Member Posts: 2
    Happy new owner of a yellow 2002 SE/SC automatic. Other than MPG, only complaint is that the cruise control seems to run with a slight jerky feel. Anyone else experience a problem?
  • supercasualsupercasual Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to get a 2002 SE/SC and saw a couple of messages on the passenger seats shaking. Just wanted to know if any of you sent a message directly to Nissan and did they have any answers for you.
  • xtirol9xtirol9 Member Posts: 27
    Does anybody have any news about the '03 models or will it be a carryover from the '02's? Thanks.
  • catseyepubcatseyepub Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2002 4x4 XE xterra with Power Package, Auto, Utility Package,Splash Guard, Floor Mats, Body Side Molding with micro.

The price minus sales tax and Inspection fee I got it for was $23,187.39

I checked TMV here and going by that , I saved $129.00 over the TMV and paid $95 over the invoice price.

It seems like a good deal, but I am not sure. Can anyone set me straight? Thanks for the input.
  • skipneesskipnees Member Posts: 2
    Catseyepub....

In early April at a dealer north of Washington, DC, I got a 2002 4x4 Auto SE/SC with sunroof, side mouldings, mats & microfilter for $25,890 before taxes and tags.
  • bryanw1bryanw1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 XTerra SE. I very thrilled with the truck, but I have a question regarding the stereo. I had thought that this was a Rockford Fosgate branded system. I have the 210 watt 6 cd changer, but it is not branded at all, and I find its sound performance somewhat disappointing (not that that is a big deal to fix). I noticed that I don't see anything about Rockford Fosgate on the Nissan site etc, so I just wondered if they quit making the stereo for Nissan. Some websites mention a 300 watt Fosgate stereo for the 2002 XTerra, but as of now, the unlabeled 210 watt system appears to be the top of the line. Can anyone clear this up for me?
  • mlattinmlattin Member Posts: 17
    I've been looking into the 2002 4wd XE v-6 Auto, with the power/vss and utility packages. I've never haggled with a dealership before, and I was wondering if anyone had any pointers. The MSRP is 25,037 at cars.com. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should try to get it down to?

Thanks

Megan
  • catseyepubcatseyepub Member Posts: 2
    Megan , I paid 23, 187 for the same SUV as you except mine is a 4X4. A 2X4 is about $1000 less. If you can get it for $22,100, you seemed to have done good.

I would go to the dealer and tell him EXACTLY what you are interested in, let him offer you a price, then tell him you do not want to pay more than $22,100 for it. Tell him/her you know that others have purchased it for that exact price.
    Good luck and stand firm.
    In order for the monthly payments to be where I need them (I'm in an upside down situation w/ my trade in, adding $3500 to whatever price we negotiate) I think I'll need to lease. But from the information at carbuyingtips.com it sounds like there is no "good deal" when it comes to leasing. Is this true? I REALLY wasnt an X, and don't want to have to wait to be able to afford purchasing one right off the bat. (the dealership I've talked to said there was a clause that could turn my lease into a purchase after 24 mos, effectively making it an 84 mo financing) Anyone have any thought on this?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I am not offering advice but if it came down to being maxed out on monthly payments, I'd reconsider whether I could truly afford it. Personally, I wouldn't want to overextend myself.

Also condider that on a lease, you have no equity at the end of the term.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    The entire point is that leases wouldn't be maxing me out (the actually payment wouldn't be either, but the number freaks out my hubby). I absolutely see no point in having equity in a car. Every car I've bought has become upside down in the loan = no equity. At least this way I'll have a car I love.

I was asking if anyone knows if dealers really pad your payments, and jack up the purchase price when you come in looking to lease.

Thanks
    Megan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't have any answers either. I hate payments, so I try to drive my cars "forever." The Edmunds' Do-It-Yourself Guide to Leasing may help, plus there's a whole bunch of leasing topics on the Smart Shopper Board. Good luck!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I've checked out the Edmunds part, but the smart shopper board looks like a good resource too.
  • boredjoeboredjoe Member Posts: 1
    I too have experienced this same thing (shaking from side-to-side from about 65 up to 79). I first noticed it at 3000mi and immediately had the tires balanced to no avail. I've tried turning off the overdrive under conditions that cause the shaking but didn't notice any real effect. It does seem to be some sort of harmonic since the road surface can sometimes have an effect on the shaking. My dealer has attributed it to the tires and I don't feel like buying a new set just to disprove his hypothesis. I'm currently looking at upgrading to the pathfinder. I hope you find a solution soon.
  • jh50jh50 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone ever have any experience trading in 2 vehicles? Both are 2001 models...Why? Well, just married...don't need 2 vehicles....don't want to go through the hassle of selling one vehicle outright. I don't know if this is just a downright mistake...anyone have any advice?
    Do you happen to have a car-max nearby? You can trade cars in on the purchase of a new one, or they'll buy your car even if you don't buy one of theirs. I have found them to be very easy to deal with and fair. My last trade was when I bought my xterra. I had a 2000 Frontier 4x4 and was trading it in on 2001 4x4 Xterra. They gave me way more than any of the other dealers would. So you could give them a try.

Most dealers aren't going to give you much for a trade. Or if they do, they just play with the numbers and inflate the buying price. Either way, you're not going to get as much as if you sold it on your own. But you also can skip the hassle of selling on your own too.

I'd probably sell one vehicle outright, either through the paper or to car-max. And the second vehicle I'd use as a trade on the new one. Just make sure you know how to wheel and deal so you don't get hosed on the trade.
  • jh50jh50 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks bskohler...car-max sounds good. I don't know if there is one around my area, but I am going to check into it. Thanks again!
  • dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Well, i must admit i was a bit surprised and disappointed to learn that my new 2002 XTerra didn't come with skid plates protecting the transfer case. My local Nissan dealer said that they couldn't find any available from Nissan.

So, does anybody know if there are any after-market skid plates available for the Nissan XTerra? If so, where did you see/get them? Thanks very much!!

Otherwise extremely satisfied as of 1400 miles,

dhd
    Well...the Pathfinder skidplate fits the Xterra. It bolts right into the transfer case. It's not exactly a plate, but rather more like a bar that croses over it. It offers a little protection, but it's not the most optimum. For full skids, check out someplace like

http://www.skidplates.com/skid_plates_xterra.htm

or check at www.xterraparts.com. They have skids to replace the gas tank, and a skid for the rear diff.

Part Numbers for Pathfinder transfer case skid and bolts:

skidplate pn - 30409-33G00

The Pathfinder transfer skid plate does not come with the required mounting bolts, you will have to order them in addition:

Bolt-fix pn - 33201-33G10
    Bolt+hex pn - 08121-0201E

You will need two (2) of each bolt.

Read more about it here... http://dean.thayer.net/off-road/upgrades/tcaseskid/

Hope this helps.
    Thanks very much for this invaluable information!! I'm not going to go the Pathfinder skidplate route, as it is mounted on the transfer case itself, which doesn't provide any shock protection whatsoever.

But the other 2 sources are excellent. Thanks again!!

dhd
  • supercasualsupercasual Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 se/sc last week. After three days I hear a funny sound that I think is under the hood or possibly in the shock towers. It sounds like something is like a piece of rubber that is being vibrated or rubbing up against a moving part. I sometimes get it going over a bump or just accelerating from a stop. It will usually go away after about five seconds or so but it really annoys me considering I have only had the car for about 5 days now. I was thinking it was the belt but it seems tight as can be. I was also wondering if it could the drive shaft vibrating something. Any thoughts would be helpful, especially if any of you have experienced this type of problem
  • ctb933ctb933 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a Xterra S/C sometime this year and was wondering how they handle in the mountains? I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo and it is terrible in the mountains (Colorado). It is always trying to shift gears (Auto Trans) while climbing. I was wondering how the xterra Auto trans drove in the mountains if it is always trying to find the right gear i.e. second or third gear or if it is smooth and has the power to climb 6-7 % grades in the mountains without shifting every few seconds.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Hi!! i have a new XTerra SC with a 5-speed manual, and have about 1600 miles on it. i took it up to the mountains around the CU High Altitude Research Center (between Nederland and Ward), and it did great. As a matter of fact, I bailed on a road (Caribou jeep trail, FS Road 505) because of being out of practice/short on confidence in myself, not the vehicle (and because there is no skid plate protecting the tranny - I'm fixing that with a Skidrow skid plate that I've ordered thanks to help from forum contributer bskohler).

In any case, i would suggest that you get into manual transmissions. There's no way ANY auto can do as well as you can. It can't know when you want to shift, and you do know when you want to shift. So, I can't testify to performance with an auto, but otherwise the vehicle seems great. I've had no problems thus far, none at all (knock on the dashboard...).
    Ooopsies!! In a reply to ctb933's post about auto trannies and mountain driving, I said I have a 2002 "SC", and meant to say "SE". I don't have the supercharged XTerra. Phew!! Now i can sleep at nights!! :)
    dhd
  • negliazx7negliazx7 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, need some opinions, I am going to buy the Xterra (XE) or a Hyundai Santa Fe (GLS). I currently own a 01 Sonata (love it). I know the Xterra's strength is off road and is more truck like. The Santa Fe is more car like and has a hell of a waranty. Thanks much!
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    Hello Xterrans. I have loved looking at XTERRAs ever since they first came out. I am torn between black and gold rush. I have read most of the nearly 2200 postings on this board and have not yet seen anything on the 2.4 liter Four version. I live in New Orleans where we encounter snow about once every 25 years, so having 4WD is not an issue. I am wondering if anyone out there has the Four and if there are any problems with it, whether you regret not having the 6 and if the mileage is decent. I really want more than 16 or 17 MPG. I have found a gold rush with the power and utility packs, body side molding, floor mats and splash guards; the dealer says he will sell it "at invoice" and with 0.9% financing for 24 months. I am going in armed with Edmond's invoice which is exactly $19,100, plus tax, license, title (which they had better not jack up).
    I am also wondering if anyone has heard of plans to put the 175 HP 2.5 liter Four from the Altima in the XTERRA soon? Man, 175 HP from that Four would be more than the HP in the current non S/C Six. That would probably still deliver great gas mileage and would be worth waiting for.
    The "shaking" in some postings is giving me great concern. Maybe I should consider leasing it so that I won't have it that long if it becomes a problem. My last new car was a 1985 Nissan 300ZX which only has 79,500 miles on it. It has been as problem-free as any vehicle ever made and I am keeping it. So, I tend to keep vehicles a long time, if warranted.
    Thanks for any help; sorry so wordy.....
  • japiercejapierce Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase an X SE S/C soon, however; with 2003 production so close I'm contemplating waiting until the '03 models are out. Will purchasing an '02 so close to the new model year affect potential trade in value? Does anyone know what, if any, enhancements the '03 year will provide?

Thanks!
    I's get the 02 at the end of the year and try and save on price. I heard (can't confirm) that the 03's may be a little less off-road worthy. They are switching to another LSD unit and making some other changes that seem to limit it's off-road capabilities (one of the Xterra's strong points to begin with). I don't have the specifics, but I remember being less than impressed with what I read about the 03 changes. If you do not leave the pavement or off-road, then the changes probably will not make a difference. Cosmetically, it will probably look about the same.

As for engine upgrades, I read that for 04 they may add an optional engine with more HP. Not confirmed though. Hopefully they will add the 240 HP Pathfinder engine someday. Project X (by Calmini) has one shoehorned into it.

http://www.purenissan.com/projects.htm

BTW - The above company is another decent place to get skids and other beefed up off-road parts.

My opinion - get an 02 while the gettin's good :)

OK, I test drove the new 2002 Gold Rush Xterra 2.4 liter Four with the 5-speed, power pack, utility pack, body side molding, splash guards, floor mats, plus dealer installed wheel locks and some kind of paint protector crap. Anyway, this salesman in Covington, LA gets my GOOD GUY HONESTY award. I went in hoping he would say $19,100.00 (since he said invoice price). He said $19,009.00 and did not charge for the wheel locks and that paint protector.
    I drove it. I love it. I have some issues regarding affordability right now with the stock market crash. I thought the pick up was adequate and I love the way it drives. This is a guy's truck and it has my name written on it. The salesman did say that since 2000 about 4 customers have traded in the 4-cylinder either because they got tired of a 5-speed (a 5-speed is the only thing I would want) or because they decided to use their X to tow something so they needed the 6. His other comment was "since the X has only been out since 2000, I wonder about the long term durability of the 4 after years of hauling around a heavy vehicle like this."
    So I guess I have 2 concerns: that shaking stuff some owners of 2002s seem to be having and the long term durability of the 4-cylinder.
    Thanks for any insight.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    A local Nissan dealer is advertising $750.00 below invoice on any 2002 Xterra with $500.00 cash rebate and 3.9% financing. I'm going into Nissan with my brother to help him buy one a 2002 (XE SC) should we expect this deal when we get there?

TIA
    Where are you and where is the dealer that is offering that deal? The only thing I would look out for is "invoice price". I was told I could have any Xterra "at invoice price". When I got to the dealer, a supplemental sticker was next to the factory and it had $795.00 for paint protector and $179.00 for wheel locks. I had calculated the invoice price without those 2 items to be $19,100.00; the dealer was true to his word and offered to sell it for $19,009.00. I suspect there must be some type of dealer incentive that has not been made public yet.
    I assume you are going to the dealer with a print out of Edmond's base price and options list. Let us know how this turned out.
    I took the add in the Sunday (7-21-02) Chicago Tribune to the dealer offering $750 below invoice on any 2002 Xterra. The deal is the $500 cash back from Nissan is included in there advertised $750.00 below invoice price. So actually they are selling the Xterra $250.00 below invoice and the $500.00 in coming from Nissan which is applied after you add the tax. The 3.9% for 60 months is also available.
    I did not know about the $500 rebate available to everyone; I thought it was just for recent college grads, although perhaps that is only in my area (New Orleans). I am wondering if your dealer's invoice price included any dealer installed items? Sometimes they jack up the price of that on "invoice". My understanding is that under my state's sales tax laws, if the rebate goes to the consumer, you pay the sales tax on the full purchase price BEFORE the rebate. If we are talking "dealer incentive" so that the cash goes to the dealer, then you pay the sales tax on the lower amount (after dealer rebate) since that is the true "sales price" from the dealer to you. So dealer cash is 8.75% more valuable in my area than a rebate to the buyer.
    I read somewhere that all auto manufacturers are likely to start offering very large rebates in August because of slow sales and the coming 2003s.
    The 2003 Xterra is supposed to have side curtain airbags as an option, so that may be an incentive to discount the 2002s even more.
    That seems to be a decent price for the 4cyl. Keep in mind though, that you were driving the 4 cyl alone (I presume). Add some additional passengers and/or cargo and I think you will wish you had the V6. If price is a big issue, why not look at a recently used V6, like a 2001 or something? I personally would not recommend the 4 at all. Yes, you save money up front, but I think down the road you will probably wish you had spent the extra $$$ for the V6. I can't imagine loading the 4 cyl down with cargo and making up any mountain passes or inclines. Just my 2 cents.

As for the shaking thing...what you are seeing is a few people commenting on very specific issue. This is not a widespread problem with the X at all. I don't think it's really a problem to begin with. It's probably a subjective thing, due to the fact that the X sits up higher, has beefier tires, and does not handle like a car. It's a truck. Or it could be that one or two people need their tires balanced or something. Don't let one or two posts here on edmunds lead you to believe that it's a major problem. I have never seen it documented anywhere or sen it mentioned anywhere else other then the few posts here on edmunds.

Good luck with whatever you choose (get the V6) :)
    Thanks bskohler for your input. Since I don't need a new vehicle immediately and because I am feeling especially poor because of the stock market, I think maybe the best thing to do is wait a while and make this decision when I am really ready to commit.
    It may be that next year at this time they are offering great deals on the 2003 models and I may even be able to get one with the side air bags.
    I don't think I would be hauling anything up any mountain passes since I live below sea level, but some extra power (the 2003 V-6 supposedly has 180HP instead of 170HP) wouldn't hurt; it's just that I have always been mileage conscious. Still curious to hear some input from any of those who did buy the 4-cylinder.
    If you are mileage conscious, there are much better vehicles than the Xterra, be it 4cyl or V6. The 4cyl gets only slightly better than the V6 (I think it's rated at 19 city and 24 highway). 19 mpg is more like what you'll get most of the time, regardless of the type of driving you do. The V6 is rated around 17 city and 19 highway, and rarely do I get more than the lower number (17 mpg) even on long highway trips. I track my mileage both manually and with a GPS and I always get 17 to 17.5 (sometimes worse). With the wind at my back and going downhill, I *might* get around 20 mpg :)

You may not be driving up any mountain passages, but I think with passengers and or cargo, the 4cyl is not very good. The V6 is only adequate as it is. But then again, it's a truck, not a sports car. But I know when I'm hauling stuff, or have additonal passengers, the V6 gets by, but it's no rocket. Plus, the X is not exactly light. Depending on if you have 4wd or not it's anywhere from 3,500 to 4,000 lbs. That's a lot of weight right there for a 4cyl to manage.

Even if the X does move up to 180 hp someday, you are still going to be paying the same price (relatively speaking) in the future as you would today. I feel your pain with all of the craziness in the market, but I would consider only the V6 or try and find another vehicle that's better on mileage and/or price. The Xterra is a great utility vehicle for camping, off-roading, outdoors stuff, etc; but if you don't do much of that kind of thing I would look for a more "car based" SUV like the Honda CRV or something.

Anyway, just my opinion. I'm not ridiculing the 4cyl, but from my experience in the V6, I can't imagine having any less power and being happy with it. Maybe you could go and test drive both back-to-back. I think when you hit the gas and try and merge onto a highway is where you'll really feel the lack of pep in the 4cyl.
    Thanks for the additional response. You are probably right. Putting the 2 side by side, the V-6 would end up being a little more than $1300 more than the 2.4 Four. I rarely put more than 500 miles a month on a vehicle, so at an average of $1.50 a gallon, we are talking about less than $72 a year in gas according to my estimates.

And the most important thing to me in the long run is durability and dependability. I bought my 1985 300ZX partly because its 3.0 V-6 had been rated number one for dependability. After 17 years of driving this car, I would say it has earned that ranking and reputation. I know the 3.3 V-6 is a truck engine and has a somewhat different origin, but I think the dependability of the 3.3 V-6 has proven itself to be up there with my 3.0.

So, I think it makes sense to wait until I can feel good about the purchase. As long as I don't NEED a new vehicle, each month I don't have one is money in the bank. Another alternative, as you so thoughtfully pointed out, is maybe picking up a great deal on a used Honda CRV if one happens along. I prefer a truck based platform to a car based one, so I hope an Xterra is in my future; I don't think Nissan would mess too much with a good thing (Xterra) so it will be around for a while, hopefully improving each year.
  • rbaderbade Member Posts: 1
    I was leasing a 2000 XTerra, but felt like I was wasting my money. Now that I can afford to purchase, I was planning on buying the 2002 XTerra SE, since I love my car. I work for a firm that qualifies for the Nissan VPP (Vehicle Purchase Program). The deal is dealer's invoice + 2.5% dealer delivery fee (Nissan pays the dealership another 2.5%)plus a $500 rebate. What ended up happening was that I bought a 2001 brand new XTerra (the dealership had some left over) for $3000 below the invoice price. I wasn't able to take advantage of the current 3.9% financing on XTerras because I wasn't buying the 2002 model, so my APR is at 5.9%. The deal ended up being ~$23K for the 2001 SE with sunroof. I also traded in my leased XTerra and the dealer traded it in at $17K...does this whole deal sound reasonable? Was my 2000 XTerra worth more than $17K? Was the $3000 below invoice price on a brand new 2001 XTerra a good deal or could I have gotten a bigger discount?
    Although I can't do anything about it now, I'd still liked to know if I was taken for a ride. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    $3000.00 below invoice is a good deal even though the car has depreciated as a 2001, but mileage is everything.
    My brother is picking up a 02 SE SC on Friday. He is thinking about buying the extended warranty in case the supercharger or any other part fails after 36k miles.

What is a fair price to pay for a 7/100k mile warranty with a zero deductible?

TIA
  • bob367bob367 Member Posts: 1
    We have loved our X since Feb 2000, but have recently noticed rust in 4 places on the liftgate.
    Anyone else notice small spots appearing to rust from the inside out?
    Yes, there has been some talk on other boards about this, primarily with 2000's. One of the theories is that he X's were shipped on rail cars and it's rail dust particles stuck to the back hatch. The rust is actually little specks on top of the paint.

Another theory is that the rust is coming from underneath the paint where the bubble for the first aid kit was spot welded on.

I can't say if either theory is true, but many people have had success at their dealership in getting it repainted. All you can do is take it in and see what they say. I think their might be a TSB on this too, but I'm not sure. I'll try and look it up. Good luck with it.
  • axbalaxbal Member Posts: 1
    Does everyone get Spark Knock noise for about 2-3 seconds when you first start your Xterra early in the morning and the Revs go to like 1500?

I heard the a higher octane gas may fix this, but the manual recommemds 87 octane which is regular.

Thanks!
    Are you sure you are not hearing "valve clatter" or lifter noise? That's usually what occurs at start-up with many cars.

An oil change (preferably to a name brand synthetic oil) and a good filter with an anti-drain back valve will usually cure that problem. I haven't heard of any spark knock noise though.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    I still visit here every so often, its where I started posting when I first got my X.

If any owners are in/from/near N.H., the New England group ( Nexterra ) is having its 3rd annual Mt Washington Trip.. if you're curious about gatherings, its a very easy way to get into them. Here is where you can find more info.

http://www.nexterra.org/MtWash2002.html

Cheers

• chettt99chettt99 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone out there found a touch up match for the flat grey paint on the 2001 xterra grille? I was surprised to find out that Nissan does not offer paint for the grille in any form. Thanks.
    Chet
  • ntmtntmt Member Posts: 9
    hi all, i'm thinking about getting it because of special interest rate and i need a automobile. What would it be a good price for it?, i'm in DFW/TX, any suggestions?, thanks all.
    You didn't say if you are looking at a 4x4 or not. That makes a big difference. I would not pay over $26,750 for a 4x4 SE S/C. No matter what they tell you, they are making about $250 or so on it at that price. Ignore their rants and claims that they would be losing money if they let it go for that price, or that it's under invoice. The invoice they'll show you and the real invoice are two different things. Anything up inthe $27,000 range and you'll be getting shafted, no matter how good of a deal they try and make you think you are getting. Good luck.