Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• natiejnatiej Member Posts: 1
    Any Idea on when the 2003 X's will be available?
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I had a 2000 SE 4x4 i purchased within the first month of the xterra debut in 99'. I had put 36K on mine with no problems to report, however sold it because of the "rough" ride, as i practically live in my cars due to work. Could not find info about a ride improvement but do like the new front end look.
  • ntmtntmt Member Posts: 9
    Sorry, 4got to mention that, it is 2w, there is no need 4X4 in DFW/TX, what would it be then, the price?, thanks in advances.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    My brother just Purchased a 2002 for $250 below invoice and received $500.00 cash back plus 3.9% for 60 months.
  • yukon70yukon70 Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2002 Xterra 2-wheel drive with about 9,000 miles. It has developed a whine-like noise in the rear that has gotten louder. Dealer claims that all 2002 Xterra's develop this around 10,000 miles, that they have called Nissan and they do not have a fix for it. Refuses to change out differential under warranty. Referenced me to the Nissan Corp, which I have called and they are looking into it. Would appreciate info from anyone else having this problem.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    It isn't unheard of, but I've only heard of it on 2000 & 2001.. whine heard under acceleration around the 40 to 50 mph mark. A number of owners have had it replaced without too many problems. I'd try another dealer, I wouldn't put it under the "normal" catagory.
  • yukon70yukon70 Member Posts: 2
    As a follow-up to message 2107. Nissan headquarters has gotten back to me and indicated that the noise is normal. They cannot and will not do anything about it. Looks like I just bought my last Nissan product.
    I can't directly comment since I don't have a problem and mine is a 2000. I would suggest going to www.xterraownersclub.com and do a search under the problem & annoy. and/or drivetrain forums. If you find some hits for the '02/diff.. print it and go to another dealer, if not, post the question. Much more traffic on that site, and you'll have some notes to work with.
  • bskohlerbskohler Member Posts: 53
    Is your 2002 X a supercharged model? If so, could the whine you are hearing be the supercharger and not the rear end? The S/C does whine a little which is normal.

The differential whine is absolutely real and you should insist that it is not normal, it did not do it when you bought it, and that you want it looked at by someone other than just your dealer (try and ask for like a regional manager or somebody like that). But....be NICE about it. If you politely insist that something be done, then you'll have better luck than if you raise hell and get angry. If you are getting nowhere with your dealer, go to another one and start all over.

Nissan has been known to replace the whining diffs several times on the same vehicle. The problem is a real one and you should persue it.
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    I am seriously considering an Xterra. I had my sights set on a Liberty, but I don't care for the cosmetic and performance changes on the '03's.

How do folks find the V-6 non supercharged (other than under the hood)? I am not looking at drag racing, but off-road use. No trailer, but an assortment of family, dog, tent, etc.

This seems to be one of the last, reasonably priced off-roaders out there.
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    I found that when I finally went on a test drive in one that most of what I heard about a lack of power was pure bunk. The Xterra accelerates quite well with not nearly as much noise as I thought there would be.

After reading the reviews on Edmunds, one gets the impression that the Xterra is like an anemic wheezing dump truck with seats so uncomfortable that you will be plagued with terminal back pains if you survive the turns because it doesn't corner as well as my Miata. I was shocked at how well behaved the Xterra was, quite impressive.

Take my advice and test drive it, then you will see for yourself.
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    I did test drive an '02 last November (Flagstaff to Denver and back again) and while my wife complained as the passenger, I enjoyed the "rough" ride and seats. It reminded me a lot of my old CJ. I guess it suffers somewhat in comparison with its older sibling.

I should note that I am intersted in the 5 spd.'s performance (our rental was an automatic).

I plan to take another test drive shortly and compare with the Liberty and perhaps the Pathfinder.
  • sr89rochasr89rocha Member Posts: 2
    Lately I've test-driven and am considering buying this vehicle. I first considered buying a 4X4 but noticed that with the 4X2 Supercharged the horsepower and the torque were significantly higher. I want the vehicle to have an automatic transmission since I drive the freeways in Los Angeles. The reason I originally wanted the 4X4 is that I do volunteer Search and Rescue and at times I need a vehicle that will take me off-road. I believe that the 4X2 S/C will have sufficient horsepower and torque for my needs. The Xterra that I drove had front brush guards, which I'm considering getting but not necessary. Would anyone out there advise me on what would be a good price that will be satisfactory to both myself and the dealership, whether the 4X2 S/C really has the power it claims, if the S/C performance will NOT diminish using lower octane fuels, and whether I should just wait for the 2003's. By the way, the asking price for the vehicle I test-drove was $26,500
  • fishookedfishooked Member Posts: 14
    I think you will really regret getting a 4x2. Firstly, the extra hp isn't going to help you if you get stuck; you really need the the 4 wheel drive. The extra hp is just going to spin your wheels even faster.

Second of all, if you decide to re-sell it down the road, nobody wants a 4x2 and your resale value will suffer.

Hope this helps; spend the extra grand or so and get the 4 wheel drive. It's worth more than the price for the peace of mind when you get in a sticky situation.

Take it from someone in the northeast that has to deal with snow and ice.
  • davidaittdavidaitt Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 xterra appears to have a misaligned steering column. The dealer says that it is not. I thought I had seen stuff about this in the past. Any help?
    I will mildly disagree with you fishooked. I think a 4x2 is slightly under rated. You have the height, good distribution of weight, and pretty capable of most roads. (I'm not matching it against a 4x4 in real offroad, but enough for what most people do in reality 99% of the time)

As far as re-sale.. it really depends where you are.. we can't even get a 4x2 in Canada, one would not go over to well here, but in a sunshine state ?? Some owners I know have only gone into 4WD maybe once, and only because it was there, not because it was needed. Extra mechanics, weight.. just to say you have an extra knob to shift..

That being said.. the fact SR8 mentions "search & rescue".. it might be a nice option on standby, and I don't thing there is much of a difference between power and mpg between the two. Full brushguards are nice looking, but next to useless.. due to the shape, the wings bash into your hood and fenders, maybe causing more damage. (especially the newer brush guards which are made of alum. and meant to crumple upon impact)

Just my 2.5 cents
  • fishookedfishooked Member Posts: 14
    Yeah, I guess it's whatever you're into. Although when I heard the term 'search & rescue' I picture rugged terrain when 4x4 would be a necessity. I know around here they don't sell too well, but the 4x4 does come in handy during torrential downpours too. Saved me a few times when I started to hydroplane after hitting a big puddle on the highways...
  • jackdotcomjackdotcom Member Posts: 5
    I've got a 2000 X with 67,000 miles.I was in the dealership the other day and they told me I was due for a brake fluid and power steering fluid change.I never heard of either of these fluids needing to be changed and there is no mention of it in the maintenance schedule.Is this the dealer trying to seperate me from my hard earned money or are these legitimate maintenance concerns?Anybody?
    With the mileage you have, I'd get the service done. But ask them to FLUSH the brake system and FLUSH the power steering system. Don't let them get away with just topping off your fluids. A drain and refill is fine, but the best thing you can do is to get the entire system flushed and replaced with new fluid. You might want to get your ABS serviced too.

If they (dealer) want too much for the service, take it to a local shop. Most local shops will do all of those services at a slightly lower cost then a dealership will. But yes, I'd reccomend getting it done.
    Personally, never heard or have done a fluid "change" for either, at the very most, I've only topped them up on previous trucks. (I had over 150K miles on my 4runner)
    The only time I've touched either is doing something major to the brakes or steering.. bleeding, air in the line etc. I find it odd.
    I found it odd, but asked on another board I frequent.. it seems changing the brake and steering fluid is a good preventive measure. I can't remember ever doing it, but I guess I'll have to go over my owners manual. Learn something everyday..
  • badgerx1badgerx1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone! I am happy to say that I just purchased a 2002 Xterra XE. I am so happy! I do have one concern already, however. I have noticed that after driving and exiting the vehicle, I hear a hissing or a sizzle from the engine area. It sounds as if liquid is dropping on something hot and sizzling. it will do this off and on every couple of seconds. Is this normal, has this happened to anyone else? I am so happy with my new X and just hope it nothing to be worried about. Thanks
    Did you open up the hood to see where the sound appears to be coming from?
  • badgerx1badgerx1 Member Posts: 4
    seems to be the right side of the engine compartment. I'm hoping it is the A/C condensing and hitting something hot. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this?
    would be the temperature guage, do you notice it getting abnormally high?
  • drock68drock68 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new XTERRA SE the other day...very happy. I noticed the exact same sizzling sound upon driving it home from the dealership and parking it. I have not heard it since. It was definitely condensatation dripping onto the exhaust/cat from either the AC or from water that got up into the engine compartment from the wash they give it at the dealership before you drive it home. Whatever it was, it was more annoying than concerning and it has not recurred. I wouldn't sweat it unless you hear it everytime you park.
  • drock68drock68 Member Posts: 2
    You should be able to get the Xterra XE-S/C 2002 4X2 for $24,500 (maybe even less). This should include any little extras like In-cabin microfilter, tow hitch, floor mats, etc. I just purchased a 2002 SE 4x4 with sunroof, tow hitch, protection package, etc. for 25,250. Check out www.consumerreports.com. Go to New Car Price Service and pay the $12 for their pricing info...it is invaluable when haggling with the dealerships. Also, be extrememly prepared for all the BS they try to pull on you. Always nail down the vehicle price first!!! Do not run your credit or talk about monthly payments until the price is set. GOOD LUCK!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Before you spend even $12, check out the True Market Value numbers and our Advice articles.

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• michaellowreymichaellowrey Member Posts: 5
    I'm a very upset consumer. today I picked up a 2003 Xterra broacher. As I was excited to get the new leather interior on SE S/C edition. But I find Nissan will no longer offer a 5 speed on any SE or S/C models for 2003.

I knew they where dropping it from the pathfinder but the Xterra is for offroading. and nothing funner than shifting as your climbing rough trails!

Is there anyone else as upset as I am? They will still offer it on the XE base 4 banger and XE base v6 but thats it!
    Manual is going to die in North America and fade out like vinyl records. :-( I doubt the Xterra will keep much of its offroad capabilities either in the next few years.
    My last excuse for not letting my wife drive my vehicles is about to die.
  • dirthoggdirthogg Member Posts: 1
    I live in a sunshine state where I never see snow/ice. My wife and I enjoy our X-Terra 4x2 in this area, but we are thinking of skiing trip to Colorado. I was wondering if anyone of expertise could advise on how well the 4x2 (rear wheel drive) handles on roads where ice/snow may be present. Would anyone recommend taking this vehicle on a winter trip?
    so can a 4x2 X... you would just drive more securely in a 4x4. Add a little weight in the rear (sand bags etc) to gain extra traction, watch you foot on the gas and you should be fine. Maybe think about getting a set of chains.

I only hit the 4WD in deep storms, or to help with ice, otherwise I can spend most of the winter in 2WD.. (but I do have proper winter tires)
  • tylercampbelltylercampbell Member Posts: 1
    I have driven a car all of my life while my friends drove trucks/suv's. I was so jealous since my interests mainly pertained to outdoor activities. After being a toyota salesman and swearing that I would only buy a 4Runner, I ran across a beautiful 02 Xterra SE 4X4 with the brush guards, hitch, .... fell in love with it and compulsively bought it. It is a heck of a deal- you get more than the 4Runner offers for about $5,000.00 less, the same warranty, and I believe that the quality is just as good or maybe even better. Upon buying the vehicle on 8/03/02, I haven't seen another like it- another thing I like given that 4Runners are everywhere, one exactly like the other beside it.

I have been surprised with the little "extras" that I have found upon exploring the vehicle. The styling is awesome. The off-road capability is superb. It DOES turn heads. Unlike the competitors, this is truely a no-bs sport ute that is truely a capable truck and not a sissy car.

I don't really have any complaints with the vehichle at all, but do with the service dept at the dealership which I purchased it from. It wasn't PDI'd. My AC didn't work sufficiently (bad compressor- had to replace it a week after the purchase), the alignment seems to be off, and there is some road noise (I believe this is the right term) through the audio system when it is turned on (a "whistle" upon accleration). I was wondering if anyone else had encountered similar problems. The gas mileage could be a little better, but is still decent for a heavy four wheel drive SUV. The low-end torque is great, but you do sacrifice power going up hill at interstate speeds.

The only addition that I have made so far was a set of heavy duty deep rubber mats to replace the carpet floor mats- strongly reccomend them. I am wanting to get a basket for the top and was wondering if anyone had any resources or reccomendations concerning any other accessories. Sorry to tire your ear with my babbling, but I had to run my mouth about this thing!
    Glad to hear you like your X! I love mine too (2001 SE Silver Ice 4x4) and have had no problems. The only upgrade that I think is a "must have" is the tires. Nissan puts crappy tires on their SUVs (general grabbers, BFG long trails, BFG rugged trails) and if you leave the pavement you will soon find that they are useless. My general grabbers were downright dangerous on wet pavement too. So after about 5K miles I ditched them and got a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT+II tires. What a difference. Another popular tire is the Pirelli Scorpion AT. Both are all-around true All Terrain tires, but manage to keep road noise to a minimum. BFG AT's are a great choice too. All of these tires greatly improve the X both on and off road. I guess to keep the cost down Nissan chose to use a cheap all pupose tire instead of a true AT tire.

Once I got the tires squared away I've gone places that I would never have tried in my Cherokees or Chevys. The X is a great all purpose SUV that strikes the perfect balance between a
    9-5 commuter ride and a capable off-roader for the weekends. Of all the 4x4s I have had, this one does the best. The Cherokee flexed better (solid front axle), but was very unreliable and was like riding on an amusement park ride.
  • poolio1poolio1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a squeal that comes for awhile then it leaves for awhile, then comes back for awhile then leaves for awhile. When i put the brakes on it goes away, sometimes for awhile sometimes only till i take my foot off the brakes, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, I'm thinking it is the brakes, but i only have 34,000 miles on it and i'm not hard on brakes, or at least i didn't think i was. thanks
  • kenobisankenobisan Member Posts: 4
    I have been reading over the "other side" and there is alot of talk about the Toyota SR5 4runner with a whopping new 245 hp V6 and the venerable, silky smooth V8 Tundra engine. All this at about the starting cost of 27k (around SC X price). This is not a direct competitor to the X in price, but in possible utility.

Does anyone know when the 240 Horse VQ will make into the X? Will there be a cyclical re-design before then?
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    The inside fold-out is the new 4-Runner in all its glory. New V8 and Avalanche (GM) body lines. A little odd, but I'm sure it will grow. The motor alone is worth driving. If Nissan drops the VQ into the baby X....WOW, what a ride!!! There is a post somewhere a group of Nissan performance guys dropped the 240-horse monster into an X for the GOX event.....it can be done, the only question is will it be done. I hope Nissan would realize the runaway sales numbers this option could give them!
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    That'll never happen. I'm sure ( considering what I've seen of the previous 4Runner stickers ) it'll be more like 32k to 44k.

There is usually a huge difference from the published starting prices and the stickers you'll see at the dealer.

And then when comparing two vehicles, I never compare the sticker price. I compare the price I would have to pay to purchase.
  • krispykeithkrispykeith Member Posts: 19
    I know the differences between the 2 model years, I am just curious to see if anyone has actually driven both and could feel the 10hp difference or noticed any differences in the XE model that would warrant bypassing the hot deals offered on the 2002.

My other question is this...does anyone know how difficult it is to obtain a manual transmission? I do dealer searches for the surrounding areas and it seems like no one stocks 5-speed, which I STRONGLY prefer. I am not sure how long of a wait I could expect if I ordered one with manual...does Nissan make only a very small percentage with manual?

Thanks!
  • calucykcalucyk Member Posts: 35
    I'm considering a 2003 Xterra s/c. Are there any typical problems I should know about? How is the 210 HP engine? It seems like it would have lots of low end torque, but how does it handle itself at 50 or 60 MPH?

All feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks,
  • jimweijimwei Member Posts: 4
    Just so you know you'll need to put Premium gas in the S/C model, which has worse gas mileage than the normal V6 engine, which itself is not a gas miser. Something to keep in mind.
  • russia22russia22 Member Posts: 8
    We somehow managed to sratch the plastic dash of our Xterra, on and above the glove box. Any way to repair this or make less noticeable?
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    I've had lots of experience with Luggage Repair companies when I worked for an airline. I was amazed at the repairs they did to plastics. The way body shops repair cars they repair luggage. I've seen hundreds of pieces of the plastic moulded luggage and other types that were repaired. And done so well I could not tell.

That's where I would go. Find the biggest luggage repair company in your area.
  • holiday3holiday3 Member Posts: 12
    I love my 2000 Xterra. I just brought it in for it's 30K service to my mechanic. They found calcium deposit stains on the head gasket.They said this is normal. It is not. I took into dealer and they pressure tested it for 16 sec. and said there was no leak. So I took back to my mechanic and he put dye in the coolant. You can see the dye (it is a bright fluorescent color) and it is seeping from between the head gasket and block. The dealer doesn't want to admit there is a leak. I had to get consumer affairs involved and now the dealer really wants to fix. We'll see. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issue? You may want to keep an eye on this. I have heard it may be a recurring problem (defect) with the Xterra engines. ??
    Don't give up! You can call your state "Bureau of Automotive Repair" and get them involved. They do not want to hear from these people!
  • dmf2dmf2 Member Posts: 5
    I think I bought a lemon. I bought my 01 Xterra in Nov 00. In Sept. 01 they had to replace my Cat Converter, in Oct 01 they had to replace a front exhaust tube, in April 02 they had to replace the intake manifold gasket, this past month they had to replace the Head Gasket, today I just got it back again because they had to replace all 4 spark plugs. This has become ridiculous. I only have 18,000 miles on the truck and for it to have this many problems worries me. I am looking into the Lemon Law, does anyone have any experience with the Lemon Law? Should I try to get Nissan to give me a refund or a new truck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Jeez! That is terrible. Did the dealer give you any problems agreeing to fix the problems with the intake manifold and head gasket? Was your head leaking coolant?
    As far as the lemon laws, each state has their own lemon laws. In your manual, you will see a section re: lemon laws for each state. Yes, there are "lemon" solutions. What state are you in?
    The dealer hadn't given me any problems with fixing the truck. Each time I asked for a rental car they said they don't do that. They had the truck for two weeks for each one (intake manifold and head gasket). Yes, the truck was leaking coolant. I noticed today while driving, after just getting it back from them yesterday that it still is not performing right. I live in Conneticut. All I know is the warranty is up Nov 03 and I am not keeping this truck. I don't believe it will ever be the same. I don't want to sell it and give some else these problems as I am sure it will continue. I would rather try something with the Lemon law first. The CT lemon law requires the problem to be 4 times, I was just wondering if the problems I've had would be serious enough for them to consider.
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    dmf2, if everyone had your personal code of ethics, the world would be a much better place. You are going through a lot of effort on this, but in refusing to push your problem off on someone else, you have strengthened, or at least maintained, your character and that is worth more than a brand new truck, even an SE S/C. So I thank you for sharing your problems with your Xterra and I sure as hell hope whoever hears your case in CT (if it comes to that) recognizes what you have been through and gives you the compensation you deserve. In my opinion, satisfying you by doing the right thing would be a lot more cost effective for Nissan than spending more money on advertising. Keep us informed on this. BTW, you mentioned that the dealer "changed all 4 spark plugs". Is your Xterra a 4-cylinder model?
    Thank you for the kind words. My Xterra is a 6-cylinder. My brother believes the problem is now the timing belt. He says when the head gasket goes, sometimes they need to adjust this and it looks like they didn't. I will be bringing it in again this week. As I mentioned before I just got it back again this week and I still feel something wrong when I step on the gas. My mistake, the invoice states they replaced all spark plugs. My lack of automotive knowledge made me assume there was four.