Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    I left my last comment as solid truck, no problems.. and that basically sums it all up. Misiseng was hit with a lemon, which hits any brand, he is rightfully ticked, but I trust other readers won't generalize his views across the board about the truck.

The X isn't my first SUV or truck, found it comparable to my old 4 runner in terms of ride, build, mpg (when the 4runner was still a real truck). For what its worth, I spend quite a bit of my time on trips meeting other owners and we've all had good/great experiences with the truck. Meeting owners is one way of cutting the BS of the boards. The main grip seems to be dealers and not the truck itself when it comes to problems.

My X history..3 years, oil and fluid changes, and losing a front wheel..(ok.. even my service guys fowl up) ... enough time had past between my service call and losing the wheel that the dealer could have fought me on it, but didn't and covered all costs.

Within the owners I've met, this is a typical history (except for the wheel) I'm not the type to side with the X just because I own one.. but I have a lot of fun with mine.

Would I buy another, maybe..
    Would I regret not buying the one I have, definitely
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Yes, I had a lemon and said many times that most XTrerrable owners have fair to good experiences. It was the way Nissan of America handled the whole situation that lost my business for good. Too bad because I think the new Z rocks. and the Altima is rated so well.

Nissan did nothing but talk and promise until litigation made them repair the vehicle many times over. Now some poor schlep who buys my old X will have problems.

I am very happy for the Xterrable owners who have good experiences. It is one of the best off-road vehicles made.

1badsidekick - I LOVE the Jaguar X-Type. It has AWD and I am now driving it in the blizzard we are experiencing in Washington, DC (over two feet of snow). The car is refined, has six airbags, holds the road better than the XTerrable, is sleek and there is a lot of attention to detail.

It is one of the safest cars on the road as rated by insurance. Jaguar service is free for the first four years and they wash the vehicle every two weeks. 100% of the sheet metal is galvanized, so there is no rust. Moreover, the service is outstanding and they entice you with a screaming fast XK loaner (80K car with a 390 hp. engine) when you get service. Talk about pre-sales?

Would highly recommend the X-Type base model if you are cost conscious. With options, the price skyrockets quickly to well over $42K.

The one thing it cannot do is go offroad like the Nissan. It also has less room than the Nissan as it is a car and not a truck.

What ever happened to your quest for a Suburu? Look at the reviews...all very good!!!
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Glad to hear you really like that X-type. They are really nice cars. As far as a Subaru, the more I think about it, the more I see "wagon." I want the space of a wagon, but I'd prefer it to be called an "SUV"...more manly I guess, lol. Subarus are very good, and I LOVE the WRX, drove one when they came out and was AMAZED. But, it was still a bit too small for me. I am a large person who needs a large vehicle. That is the problem I have now with the Suzuki, its too small. However, I'm starting to get the horrid second thoughts now, and consider keeping my Suzuki. I sat and thought about what all I've done in it, with it, and what all it's seen. I've only had it 4 years, but at some point, I would like to upgrade. I thought I had narrowed my list of vehicles down, but its grown again. Now for the true eliminations: driving them. I am going to start doing that soon, and then go from there. If I do end up trading for a new vehicle, it won't be for another month or so. I have some other finances to take care of. I'll keep you posted.
  • m1garandm1garand Member Posts: 2
    Perhaps someone can give me some advice as to my recourse/rights for this fiasco?
    Took delivery on my new (0 miles) 2002 Xterra V6 5M 10-31-02, this date now has some significance. For the record we love the Xterra. Put ~1200 miles on it and bought it back to the dealer with oil leak(s) on 12-11-02. Oil leak determined to be "porosity in the block casting", oil sweating out through the casting (a fluke). Nissan OK's, & Dealer installs entire new shortblock Assy. I receive the car back 1-9-03. Roughly 28 days w/o vehicle. Nissan presents me with a Gold extended warranty 5 yr/100K for peace of mind, my wife and I feel better. I discover yet more oil leaks and return car to have them checked out 2-5-03 being told perhaps some "tightening" was in order? Nope! another fatal flaw/fluke in this newly installed engine!!!!!!!!! Nissan and the dealer agree on installing, yes, another short block assembly! While amazed and dumbfounded they don't seem to be too alarmed? I've remained calm and cool throughout this ordeal but we DO NOT want this vehicle back! We still love the Xterra just not this one. We had the vehicle ~112 days, it's been in Nissan service for 43 of those days, and is still there awaiting another transplant. We still are making payments. My case is now in the hands of the Nissan Arbitration board in NJ??? This was told to me by a Nissan representative in California. I'm told a buy back is the next step. Three engines in three months, surely we would have had a better chance of winning the powerball. Everyone seems to be sympathetic and reassuring at Nissan and the Dealer so why do I feel I might have to get a lawyer? Anyone have similar experience(s), if this doesn't qualify as NY State lemon law, what does? Meanwhile I point out that it is costing them ~$40/day for the Grand Cherokee they put me in rather than tell them to stop dragging their feet. Do I make February's payment, due 2-28-03, I only had it for four days? Questions like these no one at Nissan or the Dealer seem to want to answer.
    Yet another horrible Xterrable Xperience. Looks like the few, the proud, the functional in this case. Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your Xterrable. Hope it can get resolved soon. Keep us posted on how things go.
  • lkpillkpil Member Posts: 1
    We have owned a 2000 and a 2001 Xterra. We are extremely pleased with these vehicles' overall functionality - beauty, muscle, comfort, and safety.
      Yes, it's true that a lead-foot like myself will not get maximum fuel efficiency, but my wife, I call her "Pocohantas",consistenly gets 19-20 miles per gallon.
      Bottom line is, as it pertains to this vehicle, we're very happy...but we take care of our baby.
    Ingrates dump on what they can afford

Humor us all as to what you mean by this. Glad to hear you're having a great xperience out of your xterra. I believe the pro vs. con side of the xterras in this forum are weighing about even. Personally, when looking at the xterras, I would prefer the '00 and '01. I like the newer ones, but they look a bit to "buggy."
    So sorry to hear of your troubles. I went through a similar ordeal. You can read my prior posts. Nissan did not purchase my vehicle "back." They will do anything not to take possession of a scrap vehicle and will simply give you lip service. Has Nissan sent an "engineer" from California yet to see your vehicle? LOL, I bet that is their next move.

For this reason, I would NEVER purchase a Nissan/Infinity again and went with a Jaguar. Ford of all maunfacturers turned this brand on its proverbial head...making it a much better vehicle. At least I know Jaguar will take the vehicle back if insurmountable problems occur. They did for my friend just because his hood paint was severely chipping. Whamo...a new car with even more options, not even a repaint offer! Have to love great customer service.

Too bad because I really like some of the new Nissan's as previously stated.

I hope things work for you. What worked for me was arbitration and many hours in my attorney's office. You may want to contact your state's attorney and ask them to work with you. I also gave Nissan of America a barrage of calls just to waste their time knowing I would get nowhere. Kind of made me feel better.

If Nissan buys back your XTerrable without arbitration, I will faint. I strongly suggest you contact an attorney immediately. Hope this helps.

Again, many love their XTerrables. It is when one has problems that the good manufacturers step to the plate.
    Glad you like the Suburu! Am thinking of getting one as a second AWD vehicle. They have a lot of space, too! I read post after post and hear my friends and neighbors rave about their Suburu's. Leads me to believe there must be some truth to what they are saying? Truth to what the reviewers are also writing?

Too bad the Forrester looks so ugly.

I disagree with you regarding the looks of the newer Xterrables. I think they got better looking with the menacing front-end! Always liked their looks and like the ones with the brush bar. The Frontier also looks nice and the new long bed with the supercharger should sell well.

Maybe you will get lucky and purchase a perfectly fine Nissan? Maybe you can find a good pre-owned one with a clean repair history? Just do not buy my old Just Blue '01 SE, 16,000 miles, from a large nation-wide retail chain with a national web site.

It appears you still are looking at this board and are undecided?
    I do like the looks of the newer Xterras, just not as much. I guess it'd grow on me. To be quite honest, I have made a decision. And that decision is not to trade. After many hours of tiring myself researching all the cars, and finding out that the ones I like the most have the most problems. I'm looking more and more into Isuzu for my next vehicle, but its going to be a while before I go for it. I've worn myself out this time. I really like the Axiom and the Rodeo, Axiom being tops. However, I just read Edmunds' road test, and it doesn't look good. I'll just have to find one and drive it sometime to see. Isuzu has a huge depreciation after the first year, so a year old Axiom that retailed for 32 thou can be had for around 19. The Suzuki was very spirited today, I've noticed it has it's good days. Where I work at times in NC, its half an hour away, and about 6 miles of the trip is down (or up) the notorious Fancy Gap mountain. Today was the fastest I've ever gotten up it. I kept it in 4th gear, and it did 60 pretty steadily all the way up the mountain. I was impressed, I said "wow, you must be feeling good today." I think it made it feel good when I said I was gonna keep it til it hit 100k miles. It has 54k on it now. Don't think I'm a psycho for thinking the car has a personality, but I tell ya, I think mine does. I can always tell a huge difference in it right after I leave the car wash, and today for some reason, hehe.
    Maybe the "do nothing" option is great for now. Seems like you are comfortable with your vehicle and there is nothing terribly wrong with it.

Regarding the Edmunds reviews, take them with a grain of salt. They gave a negative road test to many vehicles like the Jaguar X-Type and US sales increased over 230% from '01 to '02 based on customer feedback and demand. This happened in a down-economy, as well. Read the current owner posts to gauge a true baseline. See how happy/unhappy they are with their vehicles.

For example, after reading the Chrysler Sebring Edmunds reviews I was ready to purchase that car instead of the Suburu. After reading the owner posts, there is NO WAY I would purchase.

Glad to see you are looking at variables like depreciation. It appears you are a smart consumer.

As for vehicles and personality...there is a correlation!

Good luck to you.
    Thanks for the compliment! I try to be smart, I always research any large purchases before I get them. I talk to other people in person who have them. Like, for example, Siemens digital cordless phones. Wouldn't have one. Even though the company my dad works for makes capacitors for Siemens, I wouldn't have one because a friend of mine has the "expandable" ones with a corded base station, and you can't have a conversation with anyone at his house without the phone starts "pulsating" and you can't understand a word they're saying. I got my "smarts" from my dad. He always researches everything, but he always makes purchases that I don't expect him to. I was very impressed by the numbers that Edmunds stated for the Axiom. It has 230 horses and almost the same amount of torque available at 1200 rpms. VERY quick off the line. I think 0-60 is 8.9 seconds. But, it gets the same gas milage as the Xterra, 16/20. I guess that's pretty much a standard on these V6 SUVs. However, like you said, theres nothing wrong with my car at the present time, now of course that I say that it will have something mess up soon, haha. Thats the way it goes, I brag on it, and it craps out on me. Never left me stranded though. It's overdue for a set of tires, thats another thing I'm disappointed with, the tires. It has 54k and is ready for the 3rd set. The first set lasted 24k, and this set has lasted 30k. The size is 215/65/R16, but I have 215/70 Dunlops on it now. I want something a little wider with white letters, or OWL as they are now. Have to start researching those now.
  • mudparkmudpark Member Posts: 6
    I have been attempting to sell my 2002 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 4x4 with just under 10k miles. Blue Book, Black Book, and NADA all show the private party values in the $19,500-$20,500 range. I have it listed at $18,500 and have seen plenty of interest, but no takers in three months. Just now I punched up Edmund's TMV and came to just over $16k! Is TMV accurate? Am I asking too much for this vehicle, or am I just being impatient? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, I think so :-)

You can get another opinion in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Two or three car dealers in there hit the auctions every week and really have their finger on "current" values.

Also see: What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

Steve, Host
    Steve, thanks for the info. I'll check out the link, although trading it in isn't an option as I don't need another vehicle.

I guess I'm just curious why the big drop in Xterra values? To only show a $1000 difference between Xterra trade-in and private party TMV indicates to me that supply is seriously outstripping demand and that dealers can better afford to wait it out. Since I have no plans to give my Xterra away for $16k, I would think my best course of action would be to wait it out.

Its interesting, though, that I have looked up other vehicles I own or have sold recently and TMV looks dead on. Maybe the public is shifting away from SUVs with the high gas prices and fear of war, but I think it is more so that there is such a glut of SUVs on the market now. Any thoughts?
    It says "trade-in values" but they give figures for private party and retail road sales too.

There's a glut of used cars on the market period - the economy; all those incentives and zero percent deals that got people to buy new; higher gas prices; over-production; and who knows what else. Take your pick:-)

Steve, Host
    Ok, thanks for the feedback. Hmmm, just noticed from your bio that we are neighbors. I now know who to tap for local auto market advice :)
    Heh, I just saw your post over there and saw "Boise." You gotta love a town that has a dealer named "Fairly Reliable Bobs" :-)

Steve, Host
  • m1garandm1garand Member Posts: 2
    Follow up to my post #2290, 21 Feb 2003. My 2002 Xterra still sits awaiting another engine. After numerous calls to Nissan in Calif. over the last month I got no place, it was almost as if the Cust. Rep. used a recording? Weekly calls and visits to the dealer were sympathetic and reassuring at best, but no real answers other than to be patient and Nissan would make good. Incidentally the new engine has been ready to be installed but they can't seem to locate one of the head gaskets required??? I was literally one phone call away from the N.Y. AG's office as well as some private legal advice when the dealers' Gen. Mgr. called yesterday and wanted to set up a time so we can discuss options and see about "getting me out of my present 2002 and into a new 2003 Xterra". My salesman called today and said he had been OK'd to go ahead and try and locate a comparable 2003!! I will be getting together with them this week as I have quite a few unanswered questions, i.e. payments already made, our low finance rate & rebate, plus ~$2500 off because our 2002 was a left over with 5-spd. manual transmission. We are by no means out of the woods yet as I don't for one minute think this won't cost me something. We still may have to get legal involved?? Against advice from here, friends and family I held off pursuing the legal path until well past the eleventh hour. Either my faith in a large Corp. doing the right thing will be restored or my nomination for chump of the year hang in the balance! I'll keep updating.
  • fiberlawfiberlaw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 XTERRA with 15,800 miles, 4x4. Shortly after I took delivery I noticed various metallic clanging noises in the suspension on rough roads. This most often occurs when I am applying the brakes slightly on a rough surface. It basically sounds like a 1970's Oldsmobile going down the road with a very loose suspension. Also, a high pitched metallic scraping noise is heard when I turn the wheel--similar to brake wear indicators. The cruise control surges and the transmission gets stuck in gear when the cruise control downshifts to maintain speed up hills. All of these problems are intermittant, but occur often. The dealer continues to state they cannot reproduce any of these problems. It has been in 3 times for service with no success. Has anyone ever heard of these types of problems. Thanks.
    >various metallic clanging noises in the suspension on rough roads.

1) Check the screws holding the skid plate. dealers love to crack them during oil change.. fix is to swap them for heavier ones

2) check for a rock inside the A-arm (yes..it has happened)

>a high pitched metallic scraping noise is heard when I turn the wheel--similar to brake wear indicators.

Check/grease the steering stops (looks like bolt heads that limit the amount you can turn the wheel.. total 4, 2 per side, on in front and behind the wheel)

>The cruise control surges and the transmission gets stuck in gear when the cruise control downshifts to maintain speed up hills.

Hills are hard on cruise as it tries to maintain speed.
  • jf067jf067 Member Posts: 17
    I'm the new owner of an '02 XT, about 26k miles. I know that you sacrifice fuel economy when you buy an SUV, but this is nuts. Has anyone had any luck improving gas mileage with aftermarket products, such as open ellement air cleaners?

I'm not a fast driver, and usually average only about 60 mph highways with it (trying to get a little distance from a tank). Best I can get is around 17mpg. Any thoughts from experienced XT owners?
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Member Posts: 45
    m1
    You're now in a situation where you should be thinking seriously about your legal rights and the financial harm you ARE going to suffer as a result of your apparent lemon vehicle. Nissan North America will do everything in their power to avoid a buy-back. I've litigated a lemon law case against Mitsubishi; believe me when I tell you, they take this seriously and fight hard to avoid the public perception of "giving in".

Get your legal ducks in a row and consult with respect to an attorney. The idea that they want to get you out of the old one and into a new one is theoretically BS. Check your state's lemon laws (look in the consumer protection area) and familiarize yourself with the definition of a lemon as well as the remedies. In most states, if you have a lemon vehicle, the manufacturer is obligated to take back the bad one and replace it with a new one (mileage charges may apply) or refund the money you've paid to date.

In any event, don't let them get you to the dealership and play games. Anything other than "here's your replacement vehicle" or "here's your money back and a voided finance agreement" constitutes game playing.

Feel free to e-mail me off line with questions.
  • seann2003seann2003 Member Posts: 1
    I copied this over from another discussion board I created. Steve (the host) suggested I check in this area, so I've pasted my comments in here for your feedback. Please forgive my confusion as I'm new to this process. Thank in advance!

I'm looking at getting a new SUV. I'm leaning toward the Xterra because it's the most truck-like of the SUVs I've found. It's also affordable. I currently own a 93 Explorer that's been nothing but problems for me. Now, I'm looking to get something new to avoid frequent repair bills, and want an SUV that rides like a pickup.

I'm looking for some constructive feedback. Are these really good vehicles? Are there better ones out there? What do owners like/dislike? What's a good price to pay for one of these (or another selection)?

I've done enough research through normal channels. Now, I need to hear from people who own this and other SUVs for advice before I make my decision.

I looked for a similar discussion and couldn't find anything. So, if this is repetitious and another discussion exists that answers my questions, please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help!
  • romulandmzromulandmz Member Posts: 7
    I have an 03 SE/SC. This is my second one. I had an 01 SE and traded it in on the 03. The only thing I disliked about the 01 was the lack of passing power and it tended to get asthmatic on ramps to the highway. More a function of gearing than anything else I think. The supercharger takes care of that problem handily. The normally aspirated makes 10hp more than previous ones and moves better than the older ones, but I wanted the Supercharger.

It is very capable off road and in snow and both of them have been trouble free for me. The only maintenance I ever had to do were the standard things. Routine service and oil changes. As for mileage I have gotten above the EPA ratings on both of them.

One thing I have to say is that the roof rack on the X is the most useful rack I have ever had on any vehicle. Buy an extra crossbar if you want to increase the weight capacity on it. The weight carrying is limited by the crossmembers.

It definitely rides like a truck rather than a car :) I prefer the harsher ride myself, a soft ride makes me feel like I'm driving a boat.

I can't recommend it highly enough, the only product out there right now I would consider replacing the X with is the Murano but it is a different type of SUV altogether.

My baby is Granite, the replacement for Gold Rush in previous models. More of a pewtery shade rather than pure gold. By the way, it is surprisingly maneuverable given the size of the vehicle and the brakes are amazing.
  • sparkylawgrrlsparkylawgrrl Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I currently own a 97 V6 Pontiac Grand Am, a far cry from an SUV. I moved to Eastern Washington and am in desperate need of something with 4WD to get me up those pesky forest service roads and over the pass in the winter to get to snowboarding. I love the looks of the XTerra and was pretty much set on it until reading some of these posts.

Does anyone have some comparison information on the XTerra, the Ford Escape, the Hyundai Santa Fe (yikes, could it be legitimate?? not to put down Hyundai, but this is their first attempt at something SUVish) and the Jeep Liberty?

I really want a small SUV with good/better gas mileage that isn't horrible to park or get stuff in and out of. But it needs to be able to handle and act like a real SUV, not a car.

If you have any comments I'd love to hear them!
    Here's a comparison topic on the competition:

Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute vs Saturn Vue

Remember that people tend to post more when they have a complaint than when the SUV works right when they jump in it everyday and go (Romulandmz being the exception <g>).

Enjoy shopping!

Steve, Host
  • newb2knewb2k Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking all over, but can't find a more detailed description of this package beyond what nissanusa.com says.

- I understand what Traction Control is, but is the Vehicle Dynamic Control a stability control system?
     - How does it work?
     - Basically, how effective is it in helping control a lateral slide or hydro planing through a puddle on the pavement?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    This was originally posted on a canadian Xterra site in response to complaints of window and windshield fogging.

I always disable the A/C during the cooler winter months.

With the advent of the new less efficient refrigerant the
    A/C evaporator (A/C cooling heat exchanger) had to become a lot more dense and complex, 10,000 sq. in. of surface area vs 4400 for freon.

When your A/C shuts down, in many cases unknowingly, there will ALWAYS be a thin film of moisture remaining on these surfaces, about a quart for the one in a 92 LS400. That's the reason your windshield and windows will oftentimes fog up very quickly once you deactivate the defrost/defog/demist function.

My 92 Lexus would oftentimes on a cold morning spontaneously and suddenly fog over the windshield about 5 miles from home. I discovered that the reason for this was becuase during the previous day's A/C operations the thin film had accumulated and then remained within the A/C plenum overnight.

My initial solution was to leave the sunroof and windows open in the garage at night so the car could "dry" out.

Later I was to discover that the A/C would automatically shut down if I drove into an area of colder weather, 34F or below. When teh A/C shut down all of the moisture would be free to enter the car and quickly fog over the windshield.

My 2001 Porsche 996 has a switch in the glovebox that I can use to open the A/C compressor clutch circuit during the winter. On my RX300 I simply unplug the refrigerant pressure sensor switch just in front of the radiator.

Automotive A/C systems ARE NOT capable of dehumidifying incoming airflow that is already at a lower temperature and/or has a low relative humidity. As the outside air temperature declines to, and below, about 55F the efficiency of the A/C to dehumidify the incoming airflow declines precipitously until at 34F it is non-existent.

If you have condensation forming on the interior surface of your automotive windshield or windows it is solely the result of the DEWPOINT SPREAD being too low. Dewpoint spread in this circumstance is a function of the relative humidity and the temperature of the interior surface of the windshield.

If the condensation has already formed, or is beginning to form, then you must force a STATE CHANGE (converting water to vapor) by bringing
    an extraordinary level of energy to bear on the issue.

DEFOGGING/DEMISTING THE INTERIOR SURFACE OF AUTOMOTIVE WINDOWS/WINDSHIELDS.

1. Turn up the heat to MAX.
    2. Turn the blower up to MAX.
    3. Activate the defrost/defog/demist function.
    4. Make doubly sure the airflow is in Fresh mode, not recirculate (*).
    4. If A/C is available then activate the A/C (**).
    5. Lower a rear window slightly to exhaust the condensation as it vaporizes (***).

(*) Some modern day automatic systems (Toyota/Lexus especially, systems designed by NipponDenso or Denso USA, and I would be suspicious of MB products) will indicate FRESH with the system still in recirculate, or partial recirculate mode. I was warned many times for my 92 Lexus that I had to manually depress the "fresh" mode button, even with that mode indicator already lit, myself to be sure it actually was in fresh mode.

(**) Even if you have A/C, and activate it in this circumstance, and even with an indication, A/C indicator "lights", the A/C may not add any dehumidifying functionality. The incoming airstream may already be of low humdity and/or temperature, or in many cases while the indicator will light up indicating A/C mode the A/C compressor may be disabled (most Toyota/Lexus systems disable the A/C with OAT below 35F) due to climatic conditions.

(***) Many modern day vehicles have very little provision for cabin atmospheric outflow. Once it was decided by the powers that be that A/C would be used all year around then something had to be done to keep the gas mileage in check. Apparently the solution was not to let "conditioned" air escape the vehicle.

Most "exhauster ports", the common method used to exhaust passenger cabin atmosphere, are now rather small and almost all located somewhere near or around the bottom of the rear quarter panel of the vehicle. An area of unusually high atmospheric pressure due to airflow around under and over the vehicle.

Unless you turn your blower up extremely high there will not be enough atmospheric pressure within the passenger cabin to force any sunstantial level of exhausting airflow.
    More than I wanted to know... but I'm curious which Canadian Xterra Club you're refering to ??
  • aauxtaaauxta Member Posts: 1
    Tried a search but didn't come up with anything. So does this really help on gas mileage? Can anyone verified this on a Xterra? Thanks in advance.

http://www.tornadoair.com/
    Must be a new wave of infomercials on the tube. Consensus is that it's snake oil. There's a recent thread here:

steve_ "Jeep Wrangler" May 4, 2003 10:48pm

Steve, Host
  • tperrastperras Member Posts: 2
    I'm having persistent electrical problems with my 2000 X that Nissan seems unable to correct. When its rainy and cold, the oil pressure light comes on, the windshield washer light comes on and the cruise control "set" light flashes. When I first bought the truck, it shorted out and died on me twice - right out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of winter! They've changed "modules" and even resorted to changing the entire instrument cluster. It doesn't die on me, but the warning lights are frustrating. Has anyone had any similar problems? Were they corrected? Does anyone have any knowledge of the electrical system that would give me a lead as to what might be causing the problem?
  • xdreamsxdreams Member Posts: 7
    Hello again everyone. It's been a while since I've visited this board, I'm glad to see some old familiar names still posting. I have a 2001 SE automatic, with about 16K on it. I've noticed a persistent, high-pitched squeak now that my windows are down with the warmer weather. My guess is something shock or strut related but seems odd at 16,ooo miles. My dealer stinks so I thought I would check on this board before heading over there.
  • sew3663sew3663 Member Posts: 5
    I just got the brakes replaced on a 99 SE 2WD and the mechanic told me that the shocks were "totally gone" and the only replacement shocks (Rancho) would cost $410. He said that I would need to replace them ASAP, as they would ruin the tires and suspension. Usually when shocks have gone bad in previous cars, the ride is noticeably "bumpier", but this time I haven't noticed any drop in ride quality or anything...

What do you think? Is it really that dangerous for the car to ride with bad shocks? How can you tell if they are bad? What kinds/brands of shocks will fit on my truck?

We are most likely going to sell it and get either a Murano or G-35 by the end of the year. I don't want to have to get pricey repairs if they aren't necessary...
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    check the body (the bottom part that goes in the top part) to see if there is any fluid. If there is fluid then the shocks are "totally gone". If there is no fluid, then they could just be worn out. How many miles?? The only danger to worn out shocks is increased braking distance and uncontrolled evasive manuvers..ie the truck doesn't respond as well as it should. As far as Rancho goes, very stiff. It's an off road shock with a big piston for rebound. Check out KYB or Old Man Emu. Good ride qualities with both.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    Has any one come across any after market sources for swapping the big V6 into the X? I know some company did it for GOX a few years ago, but I never saw anything else on it. The problem with the Xs mouse power would be eliminated with 250+ ponies under the hood.
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    I wonder what percentage of Xterras are being manufactured with the optional side air bags? I would venture to guess it is below 5%. I did an internet search within 100 miles of New Orleans and only found one Xterra in dealer inventory with side air bags. I hope the Insurance Institute's recent findings on how poorly most smaller SUVs did in a side impact when not equipped with side air bags will prompt Nissan to equip a much higher percentage of the 2004 models with the side air bag/head curtains. I for one have been holding out until I can find the SUV I want equipped that way (still trying to decide between Xterra and 4-Runner; and, by the way, no more 4-Runners in inventory have the side air bag option than Xterras and when there is one, of course it is the most expensive Limited model). Anyone out there finding a higher percentage of side air bags on 2003 Xterras in another part of the country?
  • hargenshargens Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a used 2000 Xterra. First time out on the expressway I detected a high pitch noise that started around 55mph and faded out at around 70mph. Not sure if it is tire noise or ?. Anyone have a similar experience?
    If your X has the deflectors on windows and hood, it is probably the bottom of the front window ones. My first X had that noise too, and it was from the bottom of the driver's side wind deflector. My new one without the deflectors doesn't have the noise.

If thats the noise a small piece of 3m double sided tape under the end of it will reduce or eliminate it.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    The best way to check if the shocks are worn is to press down hard on the front and rear bumpers and watch the vehicle bounce. If it bouces up and down more than once, the shocks are probably worn. If the shocks are good, the car should bounce only once after pushed down.

Do you do a lot of driving on bumpy roads? The function of shock absorbers is really not to absorb shock (the springs do this), but to control the spring oscillations. If you have really bad shocks, you will get wheel hop, and lot of bouncing when you hit a bad spot in the road.

I am absolutely convinced that you can find decent gas pressurized shocks for you Xterra for around $ 100 for all four. I installed four Gabreiel shocks on my 95 Nissan SE V6 4X4 pickup for about $ 80. I got the shocks from Autozone I believe. I have had these for about two years now and they work just fine. The claim that only Rancho shocks fit your vehicle sounds like nonsense to me. Check JC Whitney catalog on line - they probably have quite a few shock absorbers for your vehicle at a reasonable price.
  • maccmacc Member Posts: 11
    Hi- I have a 2000 xterra SE and for the past year there has been a rattling sound coming from the rear of the truck (maybe more on driver's side - not sure, though). Took it in to dealership and they can't figure out where it's coming from (took out the first-aid kit just in case...). It mainly happens when going over bumpy road surfaces or turning. Anyone have any ideas?? *One more question... It's time for my 30k maintenance check. If I rarely use my 4WD, do I still need to have the front wheel bearing grease and hub grease replaced? It's $200 for just that!!
    Thanks
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A) MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price $23,399 $22,129 $22,312
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code 50124 -- -- $21
    Optional Equipment $1,834 $1,517 $1,568
    P01 Power Package info $1,299 $1,126 $1,154
    V93 Electrochromic Mirror info $219 $167 $175
    K94 Body Side Molding info $99 $73 $77
    M93 Splash Guards info $89 $53 $59
    L92 Floor Mats info $79 $61 $64
    F94 In-Cabin Microfilter info $49 $37 $39
    Color Adjustment
    Silver Ice Metallic Clearcoat -- -- -$31
    Destination Charge $540 $540 $540
    Total $25,773 $24,186 $24,410

Totals $24,186 for invoice. We have a $1500 rebate with 1.9% financing for 60 months. Would $1k under invoice minus rebate for a total of about $21600 sound out of line? I know the X-Terra is down 25% in sales for the year and the 04's are coming soon. Is this in the right ballpark, or should I ask for more or less? Thanks in advance.
  • maxiusmaxius Member Posts: 7
    Hi there I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra SE with a flip up sunroof. I only have one problem with it, when you drive more that 50 miles in hour it makes a lot of noise. Anyone else having this problem? It doesn't shake or anything, but sounds like it is. Maybe it was removing the gear basket? Thanks Max
    A certain amount of noise is unavoidable, you are intruding the sunroof into the airflow. Adding turbulence = adding noise. If the sunshade is left on, it makes the noise even worse. Especially if you took off the front wind deflector from the roof rack for maximum visibility like most people do. With the front deflector in place, the roof isn't the piece causing the wake turbulence, and not as much wind directly on it.
  • rrnrdavisrrnrdavis Member Posts: 1
    The $1500 cash back goes with the 1.9% financing but not with the special lease. I can not find verification of that on the Edmunds site. In fact it indicates the the $1500 is available both ways lease or buy. Any other place to look on Edmunds ?
  • glb40213glb40213 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a 2003 Xterra and was wondering is there that much of a difference with the super charger and other options that the SE has over the ones of the XE? Does having 17" wheels improve the ride that much more than the 16"? Also has anyone heard about the 2004 models? what improvements they will have?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks

Gary
  • sswagnersswagner Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard the details of the Xterra redesign, according to Automotive News its supposed to happen next year for the 05'model, but have not head any details. Anybody else heard anything........
  • smallwolfsmallwolf Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm looking into buying a 2000 Nissan Xterra, but can't figure if the XE is available with automatic AND manual transmission. If I find an automatic, is it an XE, or an SE?

THanks