Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It must be the XTerra is competely trouble free and everyone is out enjoying their ride! :-)

tidester, host
  • itlanitlan Member Posts: 1
    Nissan increased the $1750 rebate to $2000 starting 7/6/04.

Enjoy...
  • xterraboyxterraboy Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guy,
    New to forum. Wanted to know if anyone new of rebates or incentives that Nissan was offering. I guess each dealership can have their own rebates and incentives also.
    Looking to purchase a '04 soon.
    Thanks,
    Jordan
  • xterraboyxterraboy Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys,
    Looking to purchase a new '04 Xterra in a couple weeks. Was wondering if anyone had got a certain color and regreted it? I'm looking @ thermal red, just blue, silver and solar yellow. Or did anyone get a certain color and love it. I have a black vehicle and have regreted it only after 6 months. NEVER AGAIN BLACK. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Jordan
  • garigari Member Posts: 10
    Hi--

I'm new to this post, but have had lots of great advice on some of the other posts.

I'm looking to sell my '03 Nissan Xterra XE (V6). I purchased in it Cali. where it is possible to get an SUV that has 2 wheel-drive as opposed to 4-wheel.

My question is, since I'm moving back to the East Coast, are my chances of selling slim because the vehicle is not a 4 wheel drive? Is it dangerous to have a 2 wheel-drive SUV in a place where there's snow, etc.?

Any suggestions on where I might list the car to sell in either NY or Cali??

Thanks in advance!!
  • megs737megs737 Member Posts: 2
    I live on Long Island and purchased a thermal red XE V-6 4x4. It is possible to sell it w/o the 4 wheel drive (they do sell them here). It actually doesn't snow that much! I would never buy an SUV without it, but I don't think you will have a problem.

and I LOVE the thermal red. It is not too bright, and I do not see many of them around. (I see yellow, black, and silver EVERYWHERE)
  • megs737megs737 Member Posts: 2
    IF you are selling the car on Long Island, you can list it on Cars.com....that is what the Newsday is connected with.
  • brazenbrazen Member Posts: 2
    Hello All, I recently bought an 2003 Xterra XE 4x4 and I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this forum. It certainly made the buying decision easier. My truck had 26,000 miles when I bought it but it is squeak and rattle free. And it's certainly more fun to drive than the Explorer it is replacing. My only question is quality of the switches for the temperature controls (ie, fan, temp and vent selector) and the remote mirror. They don't seem very robust. Anyone have any trouble with them getting obviously loose or falling off?
  • 03xterraman03xterraman Member Posts: 6
    Jordan,

I purchased an 03 late last year and I to was worried about a particular color. I thought the black looked great, but was worried about keeping it clean, being hot and discoloration after a few years. The atomic orange (and yellow) looked awesome but I worried about getting tired of it quickly.
    I finally decided with the granite color (a brownish metallic) and absolutely love it. I am thinking about getting an 05 and probably look at the same color, however the black on all the ads I see looks great.

John
  • tonka9764tonka9764 Member Posts: 21
    I highly suggest some of the modifications for some older Xterras. The clear jewell headlights update the old square ones a lot ($60/pr on E-bay) and maybe add a bug guard and some foggers on the roof. I feel like mi X is new. I bought new matts and have an aftermarket Leather interior. I can't imagine really wanting a new one, and I did this SO much cheaper... maybe add some Good Year AT/S tires and you're set....

• stevepstevep Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 Nissan Pathfinder that I have owned for 14 years and have clocked 170K trouble free miles. It is time to put this workhorse to pasture and I have been looking to down size the vehicle to an Xterra, however I want more power than the 157 horses that the Pathfinder had. Anybody test the 05 Xterra yet? I understand that it has a 4 L engine. Is it available in a manual? Any feed back before I go in to the dealers would be helpful.
    Thanks!
  • ei2005ei2005 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am thinking about buying a 2000 xterra. I want to know how they ride and if they fall apart or anything. I have a 1978 trans am now but i do not like driving it alot because it is in mint condition and i don't like taking a risk of crashing it. I have never bought a car before. (the trans am was my dads) I am now looking for a car. My cousin had a 2000 or a 2001 xterra a few years ago. It rode great and did not use alot of gasoline. I am thinking of buying one at the end of summer 2005. Now i need some more money, i only have 6,400 now but i am going to make some more this summer. Please let em know about the 2000 xterra. Thanks!
    I would rave for the most part about the X, but fuel mileage would not be one of them. I get just under 17mpg in a mix of hiway/city driving. It never gets much better when I do more highway either. Also, the ride is fair, I wouldn't brag about it, but for how tough this truck is- it sure isn't too bad.

BNut, that said, I love the space, versitility and toughness. My truck (2001 in picture a few posts back) has 41,000 miles on it, and other than squeeky front brakes, and a corroded battery terminal one day, NOTHING has failed. It has very few rattles, and the body has held up well ( I did undercoat it however- so I do have an advantage there).

Anyway, if you feel the mpg is worth theutility- go for it.

The consumer guides rate thje car well, and I believe it was Motortrend (?) Car of the year in "00 or "01.

I have only owner 2 new cars in my life, both were Nissans and I am sold on them. Both have served me so well that it is hard for me to imagine buying anything else. My wife just got an 04 Nissan Murano, and I love that too.

There are manyt other great SUVs out there too. Check them out after assessing your real needs and preferences.

I hope I helped.
  • 03xterraman03xterraman Member Posts: 6
    stevep,

The 05Xterra comes in both a six speed manual and an automatic transmission. Based on all the information I have been able to find is that you won't be able to find one on the lots until Jan 05. I have not been able to find out any pricing or what colors they will offer. I figured that they may offer colors similar to the Pathfinder or Armada though. The new 4.0 litre will have around 250 HP as well.
    03Xterraman
    tonka9764,
            This truck will have to be used day in and day out for a good 5-6 years maybe. I mean i don't have money for when it breaks though. The only problem i see with it is the MPG. Thats what i hate, the F-150 gets 21Highway and the xterra gets 18, i think. I like how it rode though i mean most SUV's are top heavy, this one did nto seem it. Ones that are top heavy you feel it when you make a sharp turn. Also i have heard rumors about the AC not working good in the xterra. I live in Florida so i need that. So what do you think is a good car for me, i mean i have never really drivin alot before. I just got my license last week. Should i get:

Xterra
    Frontier
    F-150
    Searria 1500
    It's a 2002, well has it been sitting outside for a while not driven? Sitting otuside everynight? I think it depends on were you live and were you park it. My friend has a 1994 Jeep wrangler and it has developed only ONE rust spot. A 2002 should not have a rust spot. I would go to a shop and get it looked at and ask what it is from. Good luck though.
    Well, I cannot tell you what to get since I don't know how well you drive... the Xterra is an SUV and thus, prone to rollover more than a car for instance. If I had just gotten my license and live in FL, I must say I'd pick a car... maybe a Subaru? Put some cool foglights on it?? I like the dependability of the "X", but the gas issue is important if you are filling up often, and it does not look like gas prices are coming down. But the truth is, I love the Xterra and have a hard time not reccomending it, as it really is great. And as for the AC (and I am not kidding)... it is the BEST I have had, and my wife has had many cars and she agrees. Only her Nissan Murano is as good. Motor Trend I think did an SUV comparrison (2 years back?) in the desert and said something like everyone wanted to ride in the Xterra because it made up for the heat so well with its strong AC... Good luck, and if you drive carefully and can afford the gas, it is a great vehicle, you probably won't be spending a lot in the shop for repairs, which makes up for a lot when $$ is tight.
  • mdellydmdellyd Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if it was on this thread, but someone posted and said a 4X4 is safer and a lot less abt to rollover than a 4X2, WRONG!

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) said The Ford Ranger 4x2 and Mazda B-Series 4x2 fared better than the four-wheel-drive version, earning three stars and a 21.9 percent chance of rolling over.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I said something along these lines. If the 4x2 is lower riding, it is less likely to roll over. If the 4x2 has the same ride height as the 4x4, the 4x4 is less likely to rollover, because a couple of hundred extra pounds of metal on the bottom of the truck lowers the center of gravity.

It would not be a huge effect, but it is there, and depending upon model if you look at the superior Institute for Highway Safety website you will see a difference.

Therefore, if you don't need a 4x4 and drive a lower 4x2, you are better off. But if you don't need a 4x4 and are in a high riding poseur 4x2 (A Ranger Edge, A Mazda Dual Sport, a Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, A 4x2 Toyota Pre Runner, an Xterra 4x2 (which has the same ride height as the 4X4)) you are more likely to roll over. Not that I am against SUVs, but if you do not tow and do not go off road, you need to ask yourself why you are riding in a poorer handling and more dangerous vehicle. Do not say cargo capacity, because if that was the case there are lots of wagons and crossovers with ample cargo room.

I stated this in the original post, so try to hold your sarcasm when you cannot understand the issue being discussed, Mr. "WRONG!".
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
  • one_post_guyone_post_guy Member Posts: 3
    I'm saving up for a new car and im really wanting a Nissan Xterra. My mom had a Maxima and it lasted for ever. But ive also heard ppl say that with Nissan cars you either get a really good one or a really bad one. Anyway, have you ever had a Nissan or know someone who has. Better yet do you or have you had an Xterra. If so and not anymore, why did you get rid of it.
    I do like Hondas, I have a Civic '94 right now. I would get anotehr Honda but I need an off road type vehicle for my hobbies. Honda doesnt really have one except the Element and Ive seen those things in person and they have no ground clearence and its a 4 cylinder. Land Rovers are the best but unfortuneatly I have no bling. I never thought that a 4Runner would be the kind of vehicle to take off road and an SUV is really what im looking for. Chevy's dont have good long lasting stats as Ive looked at a few Consumer Reports type mags. And Fords are expensive. So I figured the Nissan Xterra was about 20K for a basic 4x4 SUV. Which isnt a bad price. Ok, thats where im at right now.

PS: these are a couple of post from another forum not about cars. I went there asking and someone led me here. Thanks for the help.
  • one_post_guyone_post_guy Member Posts: 3
    could someone give me a quick general experience with Xterra's. i got to the 15th page and didnt have the attention span to keep reading. pls dont make me sift through 120 pages worth of posts.

nevermind, i ahve found some bad remarks about them. Im learning more each day from this place ^-^
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    It will be out in two months, there shouldn't be much of a price increase (they still have to keep it well under the Pathfinder, which is to start at $28K), and it will be worlds apart in the improvements over the current model.

Now if you are looking to bargain hard for a big price reduction, then now is the time. Nissan is running $2500 cash back on XTerra, and dealers will likely give you another 20% off sticker with a little encouragement - there are still plenty out there and two months is a short time.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kmillerkmiller Member Posts: 2
    Still have the rust issue with my 2002 Nissan Xterra. I was informed that the "Cloud White" Nissans do not have a clear topcoat. I'm trying to do some research to gather information to prove that the lack of a topcoat is causing my rusting. Any suggestions?
  • playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    Can someone please tell me what the basket on the roof is for? Does it still interfere with the sunroof on the 05? I juscant think of anything I would possibly want to put up there.
    Does anyone know if the 6spd is basically the same (junk) trans used in the Z?
    I've seen pathfinders in the lot for under 28k (in Union NJ) so I would imagine a nicely equipped X-Terra should be had for 26K. Might be a fun toy to lease....
  • joekthethirdjoekthethird Member Posts: 1
    love the vehicle! Tight turning circle decent acceleration but driving the vehicle at highway speeds is ...er..... rattling!
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Per Nissanusa.com, the base Xterra S starts at about $21k. Add power options and you are looking at about $23k. Isn't that pathfinder territory ? The new Xterra will only sell if they keep it a notch below pathfinder and 4runner. Otherwise, it will price itself out of buyers' hands. Think about it. You can add a couple of grand and get a 4runner or a pathfinder so why would you get this one ?
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I myself have read of loaded up Xterra priced into the low 30's. And no doubt I was just as soon buy a PF, 4R, or even maybe even a Jeep GC, before spending that much on a Xterra.

You get a bigger more powerful engine, and just a little more interior room.

At my local dealer, they still have way too many '04 sitting on the lot. No one wants them.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    If Nissan is reading this, here is a free friendly recommendation. Keep the Xterra under $20k with some power options and it will do well. But keeping it over $20k will move it to a higher class level and will affect sales.
    I was just curious why the Xterra board is so quiet, especially in consideration of the fact that a great new model is coming out. The Frontier board has been hopping. Is it a sign of lack of interest in this vehicle? Or are you guys actually out doing stuff with your vehicles and not sitting around in front of computers?
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    My guess is the silence around here is b/c Nissan is withholding information about the new 2005 while they're trying to clear the massive backlog of '04s off of their lots...this will probably be a busier forum come April...
    Car & Driver has a preview article in the most recent edition. It has a good bit of info on the vehicle. I was expecting that to spike some interest.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Nissan's new Xterra emphasizes the "utility" in SUV, as it makes up for oddball styling and a spartan interior with positive features like a powerful V6 engine, stellar off-road prowess and unmatched storage space and versatility."

First Drive: 2005 Nissan Xterra

Steve, Host
  • sblutsblut Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has an 2000 Xterra that we bought used in 2002 I have a 2002 Altima SE V-6 which I bought new three years ago.these cars have been essentailly trouble free vehicles I would not hesitate to buy another Nissan and I have never owned a japanese vehicle before this.The new Xterra looks like a great vehicle and my daughter might consider purchasing one when she gets out of pharmacy school she loves her car it has been very reliable.The only drawback to that Xterra is the gas mileage but what suvs except for the hybrid ones get good mileage?Thats the trade-off when you buy an Suv.And with that new engine which is the same one in my car it has to be a blast to drive.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Yep I have some interest in the new X, but I'm a little concerned that it may come up short. I'm hoping that by not having a 3rd row of seats, it might allow for some more leg room over the PF.
  • wrxwrx Member Posts: 2
    All

I am considering grabbing an 04 before the 05's hit. How cheap are they actually going for? I am expecting some deep discounts and wanted to hear of anyone who picked one up recently.

Is Nissan still offering 2500?

Thanks!
  • pkc1pkc1 Member Posts: 4
    I'd hold off on getting the 04 based on price alone. There are to many enhancements to the 05. In fact, it is a completely redesigned vehicle. Go to Google and do a search for nissan xterra 2005 and you may change your mind.
    Couldn't get close at the Miami auto show in Nov. Nissan reworked the interior fabric and I'm not sure I'll like it compared to the 04's
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 50
    Anybody have any specific information on when the 05's will begin arriving at dealerships? The most specific thing I've seen is 'February'.
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Don't know where you're looking Popinjay, but down here in the Tampa, FL area, we were told not to expect to see them until April...hope that's not the case b/c I'm interested in checking them out...
  • srednassrednas Member Posts: 3
    Don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Houston they're scheduled to arrive Feb 18. Still don't have confirmed pricing (see www.nissanusa.com for tentative pricing).
    First of all, the available rebate on the 2004 Xterra is $2400 (not $2500) with an incentive option of 1% financing (W.A.C) AND $1000 rebate.

Expecting a 20% discount on the 04s at this time is unrealistic. A typically equipped 04 XE-V6 (A/T) lists for ~ 23K, with an invoice of ~ 21.7K. MOST Nissan dealerships will not normally discount below invoice, so expect a maximum discount of ~ $1300 or 6%. 20% would equal $4600 or $3300 below invoice (this isn't a Ford or Chevy!!!). Don't expect sale prices on 04s to drop much further until Nissan increases the rebate.

As for quantities of 04 Xterras still on dealer lots, Nissan is sending ALL remaining unshipped 04s to the dealers at this time. For most dealers, this will likely result in an increase in units before the 05s begin to show up.

05 pricing is expected to be very comparable to 04. A typical equipped 05 S (A/T) is expected to list for ~ 22.9K. However, without rebates or other incentives, don't expect too much discounting until the 04s are nearly gone.
    Your are accurate that a 05 Xterra equipped with power will list for ~23K. However, a Pathfinder XE (base model) will typically list for ~25.7K, a $2700 difference. Now that doesn't sound like a lot, but ask yourself: "What type of an SUV am I looking for?" Their capabilities are vastly different.
    Print ads I have seen are claiming February.
    In Colorado the dealerships are saying the earliest we should see the 05 is the third week of Feb.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    You can't buy a well-equipped SUV in the United States for less than $20k, so I have no idea what 'coupedincal' is talking about. You can't even buy a 2004 Xterra well-equipped for less than $20k. Nor can you buy a well-equipped Pathfinder now for less than $30k. Nissan is not risking anything by pricing the Xterra more than $20k. That's the price range of cheap SUVs. A loaded X will even break $30k, and that seems reasonable to me. A loaded 4Runner will break $40k. That's the market.
    Dealers here in Denver say that if the pricing stays consistent with the 05 Pathfinder and Frontier the 05 Xterra should be $400 less than the 04.
  • bhaught13bhaught13 Member Posts: 1
    I picked up a 2004 XE V6 on 2-5-05...we got it for$250 over invoice plus rebates. Getting hard to find ones with side air bags. The rebates offer two options 1)$1000 and 1% Nissan financing (if you qualify) 2) or $2400 and shop for your own financing**the other caveat is a $500 new college grad rebate added to either of the above options if you are a new/soon-to-be-new college grad** We negotiated for $250 over invoice BEFORE the $1500 in rebates($1000+$500=$1500)(wife is new grad) AND 1% for 60 months--. That is about what the TMV price was here at Edmunds (go armed with that info). We only got 14.3 MPG on our all-highway first tank of gas (even with a bit of a tail wind-ouch). I will follow up on the fuel economy after I experiment.
  • wrench1wrench1 Member Posts: 8
    Just bought my second Xterra. First was a early 2000 Red SE 4x2 in Tampa,Florida Had 2 years ad traded off. Now I traded a 03 Jeep Liberty Sport for a New 04 Xterra XE with a lot of options; Got $5500. off the MSRP before trade in. Love my Xterra. Ride is lot better than Liberty and more room all around also. After the engine breaks in and a treatment of Slick fifty I expect to get around 21-22 MPG as I did with the 2000 model. It just takes about 8-1000 miles to break in first, (Nissan Engine Quality).
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Specs and pricing for the 2005 Xterra are now on the Nissan website (www.nissanusa.com).

A loaded Off-Road edition goes for $28,930. There are only three factory options available on an Off-Road (once you've selected the drivetrain): Rockford Fosgate Audio, Side and Curtain Airbags, and an In-Cabin Microfilter. I think the price is pretty good.