Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 50
    Well, per nissan, the 2005's are scheduled to go on sale today. Anybody ventured to the dealerships yet? I imagine there will be slim pickings for a few weeks or so as inventory is built up. I'd be interested to hear how willing the dealers are to negotiate. I'll be looking at one, but will gladly wait until there's a deal to be had.
  • vik66vik66 Member Posts: 10
    I do not think that $28,930 is good price... I think it should be a couple thousands less...

I doubt if people will buy such vehicle for almost 29,000.... but I need to see a vehicle to say for sure...
  • drakutismaxdrakutismax Member Posts: 21
    Yesterday I test drove an '05 Pathfinder and I loved it. I hope the Xterra drives and handles like the Pathfinder because I didn't want to take it back the dealer. Let's hope for the best.
  • x-bladex-blade Member Posts: 1
    They are offering $2400 rebate

I just got a 2004 4x4 XE MSRP 24,950 for 20,700.
    on the '05 Xterra? I honestly thought it was pointless on the last model because of the shield on the front of the basket.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    For a loaded, 4x4 real SUV $28,930 is not a bad retail or list price. There are some pretty neat features on the new 4x4 system (stability control, traction control, hill descent...).

Having said that, I hope that once they have been out a little while and dealers have built their inventories, it will be possible to buy one for a few thousand less.
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    I think that the 05 Xterras are agressively priced. I went to the website and priced a basic S model with 4x4, 6speed and most options (the ones I like) for $25,200. By the way, I emailed NissanUSA to ask if the choice of the transmission affects the maximum tow rating? They answered: No - for both Frontier and Xterra! Finally - the manual tranny is strong enough to tow. I miss rowing the gears. I am imagining buying a used one in a couple of years for about $18K. That would be a sweet ride!

2FastDre.
    I test drove an '05 OR Xterra last Friday and I must say I was impressed with the feel of the ride and the power of the engine was really good. It seemed to be some engine noise in the cabin, but not unbearable although to hear from the outside it was relatively quiet. The dash is well laid out, though on the minimal side as far a buttons and switches. The front seats were very comfy with very good legroom. did notice from the passenger seat that the seat top would jerk slightly, I wonder if this is because it is the fold flat seat? My knees did not touch the bottom of the dash or the side of the center console. I love the look of the Xterra. The dealer had just got that one in the day before. I will get one later this year after the shake down period.
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    I live in Tucson, AZ. One of our Nissan dealers has a white SE 4X2 on the lot. It looks great. In fact, the 05 Xterra had captured the attention of a Range Rover owner. I'm not sure of the Rover model he was driving but it was a small, late model Range Rover. Back to the Xterra, it looks tough and the inside also looks great. Well, the stereo looks blandish but I place priority on the whole inside experience. The seat material looks good, the back seat leg room looked very good. Good job Nissan. I hope the build quality on the 05's first year in production is as good or better than my 03 Frontier. Unfortunately, I have to wait another year before seriously looking at the new Xterra.
  • major11major11 Member Posts: 1
    I have read how to shift in into 4 wheel drive. The manual says to put in nutural and then shift.

When shifting into 4 high it makes a load grinding sound. It also does this loud sound when shifting into low 4 wheel.

Does the warranty cover this: it has 42,000 and I understand the xterra has a 60,000 power train warranty. This should be covered? I just purchase this xe 4wheel drive.

Any help on this would be of great help. I do not want to tear anything up.
  • elemintelemint Member Posts: 79
    I dont know what you all are talking about with the price being good at $26k! The 05 Xterra S is $22,000! GOT IT? NOT $25k! IF you pay more than $500 over invoice EVER you are being ripped off.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    It appears "elemint" has never heard of options. The base price on the Xterra S is $21,380 including destination. This is a stripper 4x2 model with a manual transmission, manual rollup windows, etc. Make it a 4x4 with an automatic and power windows, locks, etc. and the price is $25,180.
  • brian361brian361 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan Xterra 2000. Love it. 62K. The new 05 Xterra is one of the best Suv ever built.
    Except for a fatal flaw. The Driver Seat. They changed the Head Rest & Seat. If you rest your
    head back on the active head rest & roll over some minor bumps it will about rattle the filling
    out of you head. I tired ever position on a Se with no luck. Very hard on the back. No sweet spot to be found. Yes this has 8 Way seats. The seat feels like you are being pushed forward. Sorry to say you can fix a bunch of problems but replacing two seats on a 30 K vehicle is just ridicules. Very bummed out. This is the most imporant feature. Has anyone felt the same problem. If not please take a test ride & let me know what you think.
  • meaghanmeaghan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 XE-V6 with 7500 miles. Since day 1 the fuel gauge has not worked. It would stick at 3/4ths of a tank. Nissan replaced the dash cluster. Then, the four wheel drive lite would not go out. They said it was "stuck". It worked for a few months. Now, the gauge does not go on at all and stays past E. I was driving from another state and they said to "keep gas in it". Thanks for the tip, I would not have thought of that myself. They said it was the fuel sending unit. Four days later it does not work again. I have seen this complaint before, but hardly from 04s. I live in NY and am researching the lemon law. Any advice?
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    I kind of stumbled on to the new Xterra and got all excited. I'm looking at getting a new vehicle, and I'm getting as much offroad capability as I can. I currently have a fullsized Chevy pickup, long bed extended cab. It is just too freaking big for some spots I want to get to, although you'd be surprised where it can go.

I'm seriously looking at a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. There is no doubt that there are some offroad situations where the Rubi would smoke an Xterra, but there is also no doubt that in the 99.9% of other situations, the Xterra is more practical, refined, capable and safe.

I read all the Nissan propaganda, and thought the hill descent/hill hold, 4-wheel limited slip and other features were awesome.

In digging a little deeper, it turns out that hill descent/hold is not available on the six speed and the 4-wheel limited slip is "late availability" on the 6-speed. So as of right now, the Off Road package with 6-speed consists of Bilstein shocks, rear locker and a switch to allow the starter to operate in 1st gear low range.

I'm guessing the hill descent/hold is just some electronic trickery inside the auto transmission.

The 4 wheel limited slip is electronic brake actuation based on information from the wheel sensors. This is a cool idea, but of course it is disabled on the rear if the locker is engaged, and I'm a little skeptical about how well it will work on the front. I've never had a vehicle with electronic traction control.

Anyone have any insight as to when the traction control will be available on the 6-speeds?

I also did an inventory search in the Denver area, and there are no Off Road models available. Have they all been bought, or are they not yet available? Anyone seen one?
  • sexterrasexterra Member Posts: 1
    What kind of speakers would be best to upgrade to in my 04 xterra? I recently got an alpine unit with sirius satellite radio but I want to upgrade the speakers too. Thoughts?
    I drove by a Nissan dealer to look at an '05 Xterra. They had three, one S model 5-speed and two SE autos.

Honestly, I like the styling of the '04 better. They had an '04 sitting next to the '05s, and the '04 looked cleaner and tighter. The '05 has too much MechWarrior squared off robot look for me. It wouldn't keep me from buying one, but the thing is pretty ugly.

I like the interior. Very functional. The curvy dash doesn't do much for me, but I guess that's just me, since all vehicles seem to be going that way.

Now some rants.

The Nissan web site absolutely sucks. Trying to get any real information out of that thing is maddening. Lots of slow-mo videos of trucks splashing in mud, almost no hard info, and in some cases it is just plain misleading. It talks about optional features like they exist on all models, and it is impossible to tell what does and doesn't come on each trim level.

For example the fold flat front passenger seat is trumpeted, but at least on the 'S' model you don't get that unless you get the 'Utility' package for over $500 with a bunch of fairly useless crap.

They talk about the traction control, then bury in the fine print that it isn't yet available on the 6-speed. It is ambiguous about whether it is a feature on the 'S' model at all. What about the people who buy a 6-speed now? Are they SOL, or is it retrofitted later (I doubt it).

And no where does it say that you must use PREMIUM gas in the thing. I read that in a magazine article.

I think I'm going to download the owner's manual and go through it.

After lookin' this here horse in the mouth, there might be a few teeth missin'.

I think the biggest problem is going to be dealers ordering all the little splash guards/side rails/floor mats, etc. etc. etc. Finding an Off Road 6-speed with no options but the airbags is going to be impossible, I think.
    I saw a few more '05s. The 'S' model 6-speeds do have the traction control on the sticker. I think it is the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) that is held up on the 6-speed OR and SE models.

Without skid plates, the oil pan is really exposed on this thing. It is really narrow and sits right in front of a frame cross member. I'd be scared to death to take one of these into any kind of rocks without a good skid plate over the pan.

Does anyone know the ETA of 6-speed Off Road models?
  • meaghanmeaghan Member Posts: 2
    i got my xterra back not fixed. They told me, and I quote, "we have no idea whats wrong". I have to bring it back with 1/4th of a tank of gas. We'll see what happens!
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I looked at the Nissan Dealer Inventory Search on their website, and the 3 or 4 dealers I looked at didn't have OR models. I'm in southern NH so the search carried into northern Mass.

My thought is wait a few months until I see some discounts and rebates, and then possibly go in at the end of the month (May or June), and place an order. Right now I'd go with the OR - 6 speed in Yellow. Get exactly what I want. And since I ordered it, I would save the cost of all those options which are added to the ones on the lot. And you know those options are 2X or 3X higher than you can aftermarket.

I'd bet that most Xterras on the lots are going to be autos., and you'll have to get lucky to find the color, model, trans, and a dealer you like all at the same time. Find a dealer who'll give you a good price, and order one.
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs. and found the seats in the new X to be more than comfortable. Cannot find a whole lot wrong with this vehicle except the dealers and pricing...it's new so they are hanging close to the MSRP. Did find a Nismo w/o all the options for about $26,000. In time, they will get reasonable. If you think the seats are uncomfortable, just go sit in a Jeep Wrangler and you'll think you went from a Motel 6 to the Ritz Carlton.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I agree, don't buy yet. The more people hold off, the sooner we'll all see discounts and rebates. There's going to be plenty of Xterras around shortly.

I always like when a manufacturer states the vehicle is "limited"; yeah, limited to all they can build. ;-)
  • utterutter Member Posts: 79
    Well, coming from a Pathfinder, which I loved for everything except the seat comfort that is great news. How long do you think it will take before a price drop?
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    My small local dealer, still has 11 '04 models, along with 5 '05. And it won't be very long before the '06 will be out.
    The price will drop when: the new wears off and the buying slows down (people get too excited about the new horsepower, etc.) and when anything in the economy triggers a slow down in buying by the public...like outrageous gas prices. Dealers have to move inventory and as soon as these things start piling up on the lots, the price will drop and we will be buying at $100 over invoice. Maybe this summer sometime????
    Scott:
    Tynans, Elway on Arapahoe, and Peak all have an off-road Xterra as of 3/11/05. Good luck.
    Scott:
    The Xterra and the Rubicon are two completely different animals. The Xterra is more comfortable will provide more than adequate off-road capability. But the Rubicon has much better approach and departure angles, metal bumpers, front and rear locking differentials, and lower gear ratios. The Rubicon has a 4:11 rear end compared to a 3:63 in the Xterra and that is a big difference in crawl ratio and low gearing. If you don't plan on tackling Hell's Revenge and Elephant Hill in Moab, then the Xterra might be OK. But these two vehicles are built entirely different..the Rubicon for serious off-road stuff and the Xterra for moderate off-road situations. Comfort, storage, and probably gas mileage go to the Xterra; coming down a steep wall of rock goes to the Rubicon. It's a matter of deciding what you will do most of the time and which gives you the best all around situation for your needs. It sounds like you need the Xterra and your butt and back may like it a whole lot better, also.
    I like the new '05 Xterra line-up a lot, it does a great job of fitting many bills without going over the top ie. not too big or small, too expensive or cheap.

Unless there ends up being some serious first year teething issues, I plan on purchasing one in the fall. I've test driven & research the heck out of a lot SUV's, the X is the best bang for the buck.
    Actually, the Xterra has approach and departure specs that are very, very close to the Unlimited Rubicon, which is what I'm considering.

They aren't as far apart as you would think, given that the number of vehicles with lockers is pretty small. Rubicon, Xterra, and the Frontier and Tacoma pickups. That is about it, and I don't want another pickup.

There is no question the Rubicon smokes the Xterra on extreme off road, and there is no question the Xterra kills the Rubicon in every on road situation.

The question I have to answer is whether I can live with the Rubicon deficiencies every day, to get the extreme off road capability (and the convertible top).
  • wargoatwargoat Member Posts: 8
    Probably paid about 600 over invoice(22100 + ttl) Base s(Night armor) with power,filter,cargo cover, mud flaps. Had a trade in that was in need of repair and had a note, so all in all good deal for me. Will probably have rebates in the summer for the 05x, could not wait that long old car would blow up. This thing kicks but on the road(20 to 21 so far on the hwy)
    Seat are a lil stiff but still love it. I highly recommed them good value for the money. Engine is sweeeet!! very good in the power range for cruising.
    I know your dilemma since I'm considering the Jeep vs the Xterra. Here are a couple of other things to consider. Jeep has metal bumpers and Xterra has front plastic so which do you want to use on steep approach? And what about water crossings; water inside an Xterra is going to really mess up some computer issues. Plus your gearing and axle ratios are quite different. We all have to look at how much serious off-roading we will actually do (4 & 5 rated trails or mostly 3 and under); how much distance we have to travel to get to the wilds (comfort getting there is important);storage capacity for carrying lots of gear;everyday usage; etc. Extreme off-road goes to the Jeep, but comfort, storage, everyday use would favor the Xterra. Besides, I have taken pickups, Grand Cherokees, and Tahoes (stock) all over ranches and off-road and met up with raised Jeeps at the end of the trail. A lot depends on how good an off-road driver you are and not the vehicle. Hell's Revenge and Elephant Hill in Utah= Jeep (even though I can hike up and back faster than Jeeps can drive and I'm healthier and don't have a broken axle at the end). An Xterra with the locking rear differential will probably get you 95% of the places you want to go and in more comfort. It's that bumper and water thing that makes me move closer to the Jeep. Tough decision when we want everything in one vehicle.
    What about the On-Rode differences between the Jeep & Xterra? At the end of the day which one do you want to cruise home in? Me I’ll take the X, the Jeep is just a little too rough for me.
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    "It's that bumper and water thing that makes me move closer to the Jeep. Tough decision when we want everything in one vehicle. "

I agree. The bumpers suck. Particularly the front one. it is a huge plastic wall with that dull raw plastic material color. Black plastic would be much better looking. I am not sure how can one ever fit a winch on a 05 Xetrra without doing some cuting on of the plastic bumper or the grill. One thing a Jeep is adventagous is that it has virtually unlimited modifications readily available.
    Amen, 4rider. And I think Scott was a little off on his approach angles being close..even the Unlimited has a 43 degree compared to the 33 of the Xterra. I drive a lot in Utah and going down into a steep river bed with rocks I can only imagine the sound of that plastic front bumper cracking apart...and taking the fog lights with it. Why all these trucks and suvs have gone to a plastic bumper really baffles me. I will buy only that which has metal front and rear so the hilift jack can be used. Try changing a front tire buried in mud with a front plastic bumper. Or try getting the spare out from under the car when your in mud, water, snow, and other fun stuff. All vehicles intended to go off-road should have metal bumpers and the spare mounted on the back swing gate. Oh, what we give up for supposed beauty! At least Jeep still has some practical aspects to it. I like the Xterra, but the bumpers and spare underneath will keep me in the Jeep world.
    It is funny so many of you mentioned Moab. I live in Colorado, but I go to Moab about a dozen times a year. I tried Elephant Hill in my 1990 full sized pickup once. I tried. I ride Hell's Revenge on my dirt bike, but I've never had a 4 wheeled vehicle that would tackle it. I have gone places I shouldn't have gone, which is why I'm itching to get a vehicle that is better off road.

I rented a Rubicon in Moab last year and had a blast. For anyone considering a Jeep, going to Moab and renting one will show you how cool they can be, and also can show you how noisy and uncomfortable they can be, too.

Speaking of dirt bikes, towing is another point in favor of the Xterra. 5000lb vs. 3500lb for an Unlimited. I can't imagine towing at either of the vehicles limits. Once you put on a hitch, you have that messing with your departure angles, but maybe for the Xterra you could look at it as a bumper guard!

The Calmini website has pictures of their bumper/winch, rear mounted spare, and lift kit for the 2005. Quite frankly, I think their 2005 X is really ugly. Maybe it is just the flames they painted on there......

I'm waiting for a Colorado dealer to get a 6-speed Off Road I can test drive before I make a decision.
    I went to see the 05 for the first time yesterday. I was kind of surprise to find out the front head room was very limited.

The 05 has a much bigger body overall but the head room has not increased to a point that is comparable to the size of the vehicle. On the edge of the windshield there is also a area of very thick headliner hanging down that further restricts me from leaning forward or around(body and/or head movements are likely needed in low speed road spoting). I know this is very subjective finding, but if you have a long upper body you may see the same problem.

The X does have strong pluses on power, rear locker, and decent sized tires.
    " rented a Rubicon in Moab last year and had a blast. For anyone considering a Jeep, going to Moab and renting one will show you how cool they can be, and also can show you how noisy and uncomfortable they can be, too. "

This is a very good suggestion. Could you provide the link for the rental company?
  • lazzalazza Member Posts: 2
    I just traded in my 1998 Ford Explorer (perhaps better called 'exploder') for a 2004 Nissan Xterra. Yes, there are still plenty of new ones on dealers' lots ... and the rebate from Nissan was irresistable. I also had a chance to look for the 2005 Xterra. My thoughts, and some which are perhaps obvious, ...

- the 2004 looks much cleaner than the 2005. The 2005 looks ungainly and, well, a bit strange. Fortunately the 2004 is on the cool side of the cool-weird dividing line.

- the 2005 has serious horsepower. The 2004 has about the same performance as my (6 cylinder) Explorer. Certainly adequate but definitely uninspiring. However I understand the 2005 requires premium fuel ... a big no-no in my book.

- the 2005 has an absolutely marvelous interior. It is as if Nissan listened to complaints about the previous models and improved everything. The 2004 interior is fine but nothing special.

So I bought the 2004 because of price and styling. However both cars "really rock". I am thrilled with my purchase.

_Lazza

PS - I have a XE 2WD model. I live in south Florida and drive in urban areas. I didn't see the value (for me) in purchasing a 4WD (, although I understand the merits of it).
    THats incorrect that the new 2005 requires premium fuel. The owners manuel states a minimum of 87 octane. I tried both tanks of 87 and 93 and found very lil difference in fuel economy or power.
    The 05 rocks but the 04 is cool too, You can not go wrong with either.
  • flutie7nflflutie7nfl Member Posts: 2
    I am the new owner of a 2001 Xterra SE in cloud white, two wheel drive. Just got it yesterday. It was well cared for with one owner. I researched the Xterra every which way possible and read nearly every post available here to gain insight. I just wanted to be sure that this was the right vehicle for me. It feels like home already. I am REALLY enjoying it and thanks to everyone who helped me make a good decision.
  • lazzalazza Member Posts: 2
    Ah, thanks for the correction. I knew the Maxima was also rated at 265 hp and so I thought the Xterra shared the same engine and premium fuel requirement. But no. The Maxima's engine is smaller (with considerably less torque).

Yes, both the 2005 and 2004 models are terrific. My negative opinion about the 2005's exterior is only one person's judgement, although its terrific interior should please most everyone. And both vehicles have that certain muscular, brute-ish aspect I really like.

_Lazza

PS - btw, what sort of mpg do you get with your 2005?
    Hello, brother Coloradoan:
    I live in Colorado, also, and go to Utah for about 4 weeks each year. Used to live in Montrose and now (Ugh!!) have to live in Parker and travel those long hours. I agree with you about the noise and comfort lacking in the Rubicon. And after real careful consideration and comparing gearing ratios, I'm leaning toward the Xterra regardless of the bumper/tire thing. I'm waiting on a 6 speed, also, since no one in the Denver area has one to date. For the money, and unless your hell bent on Hell's Revenge for fun, the Xterra with a 6 speed is the best all-around. If I can't get there with the Xterra, then I'll get close and hike the rest of the way. At least my left arm won't have to wear an elbow guard to keep from rubbing the skin off on the door...and I'll be a lot more comfortable getting there. The Rubicon is for Hell's Revenge and Elephant Hill..for most all other trails it's the Xterra.
    Holler when you hear about a 6 speed in Colorado and I'll do the same.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Nice to see this board active again, hung around here when it was all new in 2000 (which I still have and still running strong and problem free)
    As far as the X - Jeep debate, whatever short comings of a stock X, it can be modified. Approach and plastic bumper can be replaced with an ARB, Calmini or Shockworks winch bumper, and then you can go for suspension or body lifts.. there is pretty good support out there geared for the X.
    Out of the dealer lot, a Rubicon will take it, with a little investment (like any offroad rig) the X is no dog and will handle (and has) class 4 & 5 trails.
    "This is a very good suggestion. Could you provide the link for the rental company?"

http://www.cliffhangerjeeprental.com

They were new vehicles last year. It was a new business, and I don't know if they planned on getting new ones every year. I'd like to try a Rubicon Unlimited (I don't know if they have them now), but I'm probably getting an Off Road Xterra now.
    The dealer in Boulder just got in a Night Armor Off Road 6-speed. I test drove it yesterday, and it is awesome. Despite what Nissan has said, after driving a 6-speed S and a 6-speed Off Road, it is clear that the Off Road has lower gearing.

The only option on the one they have is the Rockford Fosgate stereo. Boy, does that thing kick.

I would have bought it on the spot, but I want Granite and side airbags. Also, anyone buying an OR 6-speed right now will not be getting the VDC. As far as I'm concerned, you will have an orphan that will haunt you unless the VDC can be flashed in later. It is just software, so maybe that can be done, but I'm not taking that chance.
    Its only a week old so need to break it in. But i get on the hwy an avg of 20 MPG
    city it varies 15 to 18. I expect it to get better with proper break in after 7000 miles.
  • reed4reed4 Member Posts: 56
    Hey guys,

Can some of you more serious off-roaders chime in and give me some of your opinions/experience in reguard to the advantages/disadvantages, specifically referring to off road ability of a manual transmission vs automatic. I currently own a 97 Tacoma Extra Cab V6 with a 5-speed manual and am leaning towards staying with a manual trans for the Xterra. I am not a hard-core off roader by any means but several times a year I like to venture off with the family and explore. I've read the biggest advantages of the automatic are ease of brake and throttle control and perhaps (please correct me here) significant Torque Multiplication offered by an automatic transmission at low speeds. Thanks for your help on this.
    If your not a hard core off roader then you might love the automatic since you don't have to shift. If you need lower gears, simply shift into low range. The 6 speed will provide lower gear ratios in 1st and 2nd and allow the engine to "hold you back" with compression on steep declines. But you can do the same with auto and low range. Unless you need the low gears for serious off roading, I would use the automatic. I have used them for years even in serious off roading. Hell's Revenge in Utah go with the stick; most other off road adventures like you describe go with the automatic. The President of the CO Springs off road club uses an automatic in her Rubicon...so go for the convenience.
    This has and will be argued on every off road forum forever. It comes down to personal preference.

A 6-speed will give you more engine braking coming down a seriously steep descent. But the auto in the Xterra has hill descent control, which uses the braking system automatically to control your downhill speed. But if the brakes heat up on a really long descent, then what?

The auto in the Xterra also has the hill start assist, which holds the brake for a second or so on a steep uphill so you don't roll back when you move your foot from the brake to the gas.

The six-speed Xterra has the clutch interlock defeat, which allows you to start the Xterra in gear when you are in 1/Low. This is a cool feature if you happen to kill it on a steep, rocky uphill.

Really extreme rock crawlers are almost always automatics.

I've been driving sticks for 28 years, and I'd much rather have a stick in any situation other than a couple of pretty extreme off road situations I got myself into that I shouldn't have been in anyway. And the ability to start in gear would have gotten me out of those, so I'm going with the stick.

One other consideration if you are looking at buying immediately is that the 6-speeds are not currently available with the Vehicle Dynamic Control feature (stability control). It is supposed to be available beginning in May on the 6-speeds. This feature is standard on the Off Road package, but 6-speed Off Roads on the dealer's lots right now do not have it.

BTW, the current issue of Consumer Reports has a good overview of stability control and why you might want it. I'm not a big fan of CR, but their explanation of this feature is excellent.
    I agree with Scott in his reply. But in reading your words, your not into hard core off roading and you venture out to explore with the family several times a year. Unless you like to shift, the automatic is going to do all you need. I don't see you putting yourself and your family in serious situations. As I mentioned before, I have driven automatics in Grand Cherokees, small and large pickups, Suburbans and Tahoes...and I have gone all over the Rocky Mountains in CO and very rough trails in Utah with no problems. I've met lifted Jeeps with huge tires that asked me how and why I got there in a $40,000 vehicle stock? It's knowing how to drive that's important. I've used them in ranch work and pulled horse trailers. I've been stuck with automatics and sticks and gotten out with both. Use the low range with the automatic and you will be fine. It really is a preferance...like to shift then it's the manual; like the conveniences of the automatic then don't shift. We tend to buy vehicles for the 5% of driving we want to do instead of the 95% driving we actually do. You will be fine with either choice.