Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Here is the new place to discuss the Nissan
    Xterra. Below are links to previous Nissan Xterra
    forums.

- Nissan Xterra VIII

- Nissan Xterra VII

- Nissan Xterra VI

-Nissan Xterra V

And from the Topic Search, here are other Xterra
    topics.

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • xsexse Member Posts: 66
    looks like im the first to post on the new board- woo-hoo someone give me a prize!

looks like there are several new/potential x owners- congrats to those that bought and those that didnt;
    xe vs. se - if you want the sunroof,6 disc cgr and like the interior upgrade the se is worth it. if its all the same, get the xe

will it last?- forever w/ proven parts
    good buy?- its nearly got cult status- a rare vehicle people are passionate about
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    the continued grin while you drive your X..

BTW.. thanks pocahontas for all the links to the old discussions. Beats searching xterra and backtracking.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    I am going to buy an Extera. Or a Mercedes S-500
    or maybe a used Yugo
    1. How much is it?
    2. What color do I like?
    3. The dealer told me that my warranty will be voided unless I pay $5,000 over sticker.
    4. My wife doesn't like stick. What should I do?

I need guidance right now.
  • xradxrad Member Posts: 2
    Yanxfan:
    The terminal block you are looking at is NOT where you need to hook up your harness. Go toward the rear of the vehicle, and keep looking up. You will see the end of the harness peaking out just over the frame, very close to the rear door (still underneath the vehicle).

Hope this helps...

Xrad
    Go for the yugo, but upgrade to the plastic seats, the wooden ones leave splinters. ( unless you are in a cold climate, then you use the splinters as starter for the heating system )
    No problem with color, they all turn a cool rusty powder coat after the first wash.
    They all come no-matic, so you wife will be happy, depending how fast she can push it and jump in.. as always, plan your trips downhill.
    The Extera is cool too, but you have to move to the north pole to get all the benefits from it.
    I'd pass on the S-500, It's got Ford parts, and comes with very small cupholders.. the real benchmark of any good SU-VE
  • guinness247guinness247 Member Posts: 7
    I will be purchasing an SE X soon. I can't wait until I can get out of my lease with my 98 Amigo. Does anybody know if you can order a leather package? I am also interested in the new cacki color but I heard Nissan is only making the color for a limited time. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Thanks for the help!
  • finbobfinbob Member Posts: 2
    I'm pretty sure the supercharger will be offered to the X in the next 2 years.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    American coffee has plenty of caffeine if you boil it long enough.

The Yugo SE has web seats, like lawn chairs. Much more comfy. Definitely worth the extra $$$.

guinness247 - I think leather is about a $1,000 option, don't know if its through the dealer or aftermarket. Don't know about limited colors though.

Congrats to all new owners. This is a great truck.
  • likexterralikexterra Member Posts: 17
    It is a dealer-installed non-nissan package. It's part of the Xterra Xtreme package that has been around, I actually saw one the other day.

Brent
    Might be worth checking around, leather is a dealer installed option, as previously stated, but each dealer has its own jobber to do the work, over here anyway. Saw 2 leather add-ons at 2 dealers, and the looked different in quality. I'd ask for references from dealers to see what they install.. or try to get the name of the jobber, before putting down a grand.
    What else comes with the xtreme package besides the sticker?
  • tonysdtonysd Member Posts: 4
    Here are two links you may find useful:

http://www.classicsofttrim.com/Leather/Nissan/Xterra.asp#Data

www.katzkin.com/indexIE.html

Both are aftermarket leather upholstery installers.
  • tampabaytampabay Member Posts: 18
    hi ,

im about to buy a new 2001 se however just spotted a hardly used model with less than 5000 miles for 19500 (private sale) . 4 months old.

Its obviously a 2000 model without sun roof and only a single cd changer. However its a huge saving on new.

what do you guys think ?
    any help gratefully received.
    apples with apples.. the 2000 is an xe, not an se.. even the 2000 model se all have sunroofs.. its one of the main differences between the 2 models, and still is. I'd also try to get a good reason for the quick sale...
    the 2000 without sunroof is the xe, not se- just like xcanuk said.
    i would also question why the quick sale. accident? lemon? lost a job? there arent too many legitimate reasons people sell so soon...

if price is really a concern, maybe a 2001 xe will do you fine. its only a couple grand more and you have the peace of mind of having a new truck (which in itself may be invaluable).
    I'd buy the used one. The basic warranty is good for 3 yrs/ 36k miles.
    It that new car smell worth an extra $8000 plus sales tax and plates?
    You might have it inspected for possible damage.

Someone asked why a peoson would be selling a nearly new vehicle. Anyone who reads here sees how totally uninformed many consumers are. They don't care or know about making a smart purchase they just want to satisfy their consumptive urges immediately. Profit from them. Buy their discards.
  • lewiswwlewisww Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 x and i was wondering if anyone had bought the nose guard. it seems like it would be a pain to put on and i heard you have to take it off whenever it rains to let it dry. is that true?
    Do you mean a "bra" style one?

I've seen many cars need their noses repainted because the "protective" bra rubbed through the paint OR caused rust OR made the paint crack OR discolor.

Kind of ironic, huh?
    The older bra's were heavily lined, had to be removed in the rain etc. The newer ones are "supposed" to be breathable, if you live in a strong sunshine state, expect the 2 tone nose burn. Get a bug deflector instead, it will protect the nose just as well without all the side effects.
  • lewiswwlewisww Member Posts: 2
    What would you recommend instead of the nose guard? What different models or styles of nose guards, bug deflectors, or anything else are out there? Thanks
  • plasticsunplasticsun Member Posts: 3
    I am about to buy an 2001 XE Xtrerra. The dealer is telling me that it has all three packages are on this vehicle, less the sunroof. Can this be true? Also they stated that this is the old pathfinder engine and is extremely reliable. Again is this true? I test drove it today and really like it. Other than the price of the Escape what else can I use as leverage? Thanks for all your help.
    I am about to buy an 2001 XE Xtrerra. The dealer is telling me that it has all three packages are on this vehicle, less the sunroof. Can this be true? Also they stated that this is the old pathfinder engine and is extremely reliable. Again is this true? I test drove it today and really like it. Other than the price of the Escape what else can I use as leverage? Thanks for all your help.
    Yes .. Yes.. not much

OK.. longer version.. unless it is aftermarket, xe's don't come with sunroofs.and have packages...only se's have sunroofs and no packages. ( unless it is an xtrerra.. then you are on the wrong board ) Spend a little more time with the brochure to know all the ins and outs.

The engine is the old tried and true bulletproof engine.. no worries there.

Escape as leverage.. now that is a good one I'll have to remember :) the X is still a little hot, the escape is plagued with recalls.. you can try saying you are ready to buy now and play hard to get a better price.

As far as the bug deflector.. Nissan has one, GTS, Lund.. basically all the same. Go over to xterrastore.com or xterraparts.com to see Nissan's or other web sites like overlander.com
  • hgonzohgonzo Member Posts: 2
    I have a Solar Yellow X 5-speed ordered since the end of September, might be a Xmas X. With all the popularity of the X, I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to having their X stolen? The only reason that I bring up the subject is that we recently had a 10 bay beer truck stolen from my place of business and it brings home to me just how vulnerable we are.
    Does anyone have any info on a way that power to the starter could be cut via some kind of switch to prevent a non-owner from starting the vehicle?
    Plenty of aftermarket alarms offer this, including some that are upgrades to the one used in the X (I think it's a Clifford system). You can also get the battery with the built-in disabling mechanism, it has a little remote that turns off the juice except for a trickle to keep the computers/radio happy. I think Sears makes 'em.

Brent
    Python / Viper works with the original alarm, its what I have anyway. Plus you can add gadget modules to it, open and close windows, ( which I added ), auto start, etc.. all into one single remote.

I'm still waiting for one that would make a cup of coffee in the morning for the drive to work. I go through withdrawl on my commute.. ( 5 minute drive )
    My commute is 50 miles, an hour on a good day, 2 on a bad day, ugh. My last job was never more than 20 mins away, I miss that.

Brent
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    the best thing to get is called the "invinsa-shield" its made by 3M. it is a clear plastic that conforms to the nose any car!! they are custom made for different distributors. it is guaranteed not to discolor the paint and prevents it from any road stones, tar, bugs etc. i had one put on my old car and now the X. i got it dirt cheap, for $100.00 (the guy is one of my managers) and its worth a million bucks!!
    the nice thing about it, is that you can't see it, it doesn't look like an add-on that looks like crap, and its not expensive!!!

brent, i thought i had it bad, 28 mile commute on the Garden State Parkway bumper to bumper 4 of 5 days, about an hour to 1 1/2 hours back and forth (with a 5 speed, my left leg is killing me!!!)
    5 minute commute, the truck doesn't have a chance to warm up properly, drawback, I go through exhaust systems like crazy. Last truck, 10 years, 5 or 6 mufflers, but I got the lifetime warranty so at most, it costs me the tail pipe section only. If I didn't need my truck during the day, it would only take me 3 minutes to walk to work, but I can also drive over 200 miles in a given day.
  • abaxter007abaxter007 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys I am in the market for a Solar Yellow 2001 XE 2wd V6 Manual, The dealer gave me a price of 21,900 for a 3pk, Microfilter,Side Molding, Mats, and splash guard. Was wondering if this was a good deal or was I getting robbed. I'm a little hesitant because I didn't have to haggle he just gave me this price. Hmmm let me know before I buy.
    To one and all, have a good holiday.. while some of us surf.. I mean work.
    Keep the dirty side down and shiny side up.. watch the roads, and have fun xing around.
  • hgonzohgonzo Member Posts: 2
    I ordered a solar yellow 2001 SE 2WD 5-sp the end of September. I didn't get it yet but I paid $22,700 for it. You can take it from there.
    Hey Hgonzo thanks for the pricing info. This board should be mandatory reading for anyone considering an Xterra. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow. I can't wait.
  • stfrancesstfrances Member Posts: 9
    This is a continuation to someone's post a week or so ago..... can't remember who started this. If only I could have remember the answer that was posted! I had to pull a trailer with some "dogloos" and for the life of me could not figure out how to hook up the brake light wiring! We read the manual - what a joke! The junction box we thought was the hook up was the same one in the post that said.....'I found the box, but there are things already plugged in...' The manual does not do a good job explaining where the hook up is. Finally had to call the service department and he explained that it was not behind the right rear wheel well, it was more towards the back at the end of the frame. Even then, it was not easy to find - or connect. Let's just say that I will leave the wiring connected and "tie" it up where I don't have to remove that cap again. After all of that, it was a joy to tow the trailer!
  • fschaad49fschaad49 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2001 XE auto 2wd with the sport, utility and power packages for $500 below invoice during the late November sales period. This is Atlanta, and there may be different incentives in your area (better financing, etc...) It was a cash deal for me as I had my financing in place. I was waiting for the dealers to show some softness, and was treated very fairly when I called ahead and said I had the Edmunds invoice pricing. Dealing with the fleet manager or chief of sales is important. He'll hand the paperwork drudgery of to another salesman and still get his cut. Looking forward to many years of happy driving!
  • milleraymilleray Member Posts: 3
    I was told by the finance manager that the extended warranty is the same bumper to bumper as the factory warranty only extended for 7 years or 100,000 miles. However yesterday in the mail I received the warranty book and after reading it, it doesn't seem like the factory warranty only extended. This extended warranty is suppose to be from Nissan also. Does anyone know about this warranty?

Thanks for you help, I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.
  • xeroxero Member Posts: 5
    Does the packet say it is from Nissan? I bought the 100k mile warranty from Ryan Warranty at the dealer, but then quickly refunded it and bought the Nissan warranty offered at Xterrastore.com.
    I saved about $400 and felt better that it was directly from Nissan. Odd thing was that the dealer I bought from told me that they do not even offer the Nissan warranty which I still find a little strange.
    Thanks to everyone for all their help. I purchased a 2001 XE 4WD, Alpine Green Xterra yesterday. It is bad to the bone! Thanks to Edmunds I got a fair deal. $23,790 with 12 free oil changes and a roof top bike/ski rack as part of a promotion with a local sport store. It was nice not to deal with their financing, not having a trade and walking out feeling like you have not been screwed. I recommend doing your homework, it is all here at Edmunds.
  • evr31evr31 Member Posts: 3
    I have a Silver 2000 XE (w/ the 3 pack) with about 4400 miles. Recently, the "Service Engine Soon" warning light came on and I brought it into the dealer's service center to check it out. As it turns out, the warning light was triggered by the aftermarket Locking Gas Cap that I bought from xterraparts.com. From what I was told, that particular cap is ventilated (which is a no no for the X). The service person told me to put the original gas cap on and that the warning light should go away in a few days after it computer resets. Anyone experience this before? How long does it take for the computer to reset? Its been 5 days and its still on!!! Is there anything I can do to quicken the process?

Also, I was driving in LI, NY yesterday and I saw a black X with the plates XTERROR. Whoever you are (I think I saw someone mention it earlier when talking about customized plates), Great X! Hopefully you see this so you can tell me where you got that cool Xterra decal (I think it was)for the wind deflector.

One last question, I am thinking about replacing the front speakers and the stereo/CD as a holiday gift to myself. :) Any recommendations? I'm looking for quality sound (e.g. Bose) as opposed to high volume. Also, if anyone knows of an a good audio shop in the NY Tri-State area that sells and does installations, I would appreciate your recommendations!

Sorry for such a long post...I hope everyone had a good Holiday!!!!
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    hey evr,
    thats me!! thanks for the compliment....I got the Xterra decal on my wind deflector at a sign shop....they can make just about anything you want(color, size, font style) cost me around $40. Its a small world after all.....where are your from??? take care, Mike

ps I have replaced my complete sound system and would recommend Eclipse. Mine sounds 100x better than stock.....I bought my stuff from a guy on Route 110 in Huntington....
    If it doesn't go off after a day or so, the condition was present long enough that the computer doesn't consider it transient and won't clear it on its own. The dealer can plug into the computer and clear it in a jiffy. I can't believe they didn't do it for you while you were there...

If there isn't a "whoosh" sound when you loosen the cap then it's not sealing properly. My Stant "Pre-vent" cap does fine on my '00.

Brent
    Mike/Shek3 - I'm from the city but I saw you driving on Jericho. Are you from that area? I had just stopped by ATV to buy some PIAA bulbs. Also stopped by the 5 Star car wash..gotta admit, it had to be the best car wash I've ever had!! LOL Thanks for the info! What's the name of the place on 110?? I think I passed it yesterday, a few blocks past the Jericho intersection? Opposite the Mall? I think theres another shop heading toward the LIE. By the way, someone told me to be careful with the installers because it can void the warranty. Is that true?

Thanks again and maybe next time I'm around the neighborhood you can show me your X and give me some ideas! Mine is starting to look a little boring! LOL
    Brent, thanks for your reply! I did have the Stant cap and I also heard the Woosh every time I opened it. I mentioned that to the dealer and also told him that I've had the cap for the last 4 months and that the light just turned on. After what you just told me, I can't believe they sent me home with the light still on!! I'm bringing it back this week!!!
    Hey guys thanks for all the help on the Xterra. I brought her home today. I drove 180 miles to make the deal only to find my dealer trying to stiff me with a $250 processing fee. Being that he wasn't processing jack, I told him I was not gonna pay it. He wouldn't budge, so I decided to put capitalism in motion and I got up and walked out straight to his competition across town. Now I have a kick butt X and I am $250 richer. Don't pay that bs charge. You guys were right I love it.
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I am from the Huntington area......the name of the stereo place is Audio Planet.......just south of Jericho............guy's name is Mike........tell him I sent you(or let me know when you will be there and maybe I can help you out) Dealers are always telling you that any work they dont do will void the warranty(they like to take ALL your money, and not share the wealth with outside companies). If you buy the wiring harnesses and you are somewhat handy you could probably do the system yourself. The next time you see my truck it may have new wheels and tires.......please Santa please.........take care, Mike
  • haasekhaasek Member Posts: 2
    Xero - by the way - thanks for pointing out the XterraStore.com site! I had a quick question. I don't see a link at the site to the warranty you mentioned. Did you call them to get it?
  • mstexasxmstexasx Member Posts: 3
    I was skimming over a car magazine this weekend and reviewed the information regarding the Xterra. It said something about the 2002 X's will have more power. Does anyone know anything about this? I currently drive a Mustang and I know that the X, (along with other SUV's), will not have the same power. I am not expecting the X to drive like my Mustang, but if anyone knows what the difference the 2002 will have compared to the 2001, please let me know.
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    Mstexasx,

I haven't heard anything about more power in the Xterra in 2002 But if this is true, more than likely the Xterra will get the same super charger that's in the Frontier that pumps out 210 HP and 245 lb/ft. torque (I believe the 245 is correct). Frankly, I wouldn't jump on it just yet. Since the setup is relatively new with this engine, enough time hasn't passed to make me feel comfortable with it just yet.
    i agree about long term worries on the supercharger. it maybe nothing, but it may be everything...just too early to tell.

i wouldnt be surprised if they add it in '02 or '03 for sure. with all the new competition, they have to keep the xterra in the game :)

if you want power, why not the 245hp pathfinder? it is highly rated as an suv and looks/ drives great
    Don't forget the X has a 6yr 60k mile powertrain warranty. If you're worried get a 100k warranty from Nissan. So, If a supercharger shows up, I wouldn't be scared.