Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Congrats Brian. I am jealous. I'm working on the wife, so maybe I will be able to get one this Fall. I'd be interested in the VDC, but you really do not need the hill descent control with the manual. Have fun!
  • audibonaudibon Member Posts: 100
    ATLGAXT:
    Thanks! You have plenty of time then since you are working on your wife. Fall would be a good purchase time. Due to some other circumstances I couldn't and wouldn't wait. The VDC is a nice feature, just never had it before on any vehicle. It is purely a matter of preference. The nice thing is you can turn it off. I forgot to mention that I am averaging about 22 mpg in somewhat spirited driving. But I try and get into 5 and 6th as quickly as possible. My commute is mostly highway but it can be stop and go at times. Right now the dealer by me sold me mine for about $500 under invoice. I am sure that later in the year there will be incentives and special financing as they flood lots with the new model. I was thinking of switching over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil after break-in but probably should ask a Nissan tech about that. Any thoughts? If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
    Brian
    ALTGAXT:
    I forgot to mention in the options codes that Edmunds lists if you want to have VDC you need to select option code T01. This will give you the supplemental air bag package teamed up with VDC. The list price is $1000. If you build an Off Road Xterra on the Edmunds site you'll see what I mean. Like I said before mine was $500 below invoice with no incentives so Fall should be a great time to buy. You should have your wife convinced by then, right? Safe driving.
    Brian
  • kathy8877kathy8877 Member Posts: 2
    Brian, can I ask what dealer you worked with to get 500 under invoice? I have been looking for an Xterra S with manual but dealers around me have not been very helpful locating one for me (it seems they only want to sell the loaded versions on the lot). Is it just me or has anyone noticed that Nissan carries a very low supply of models on the lot to choose from? The dealer will oc course say they are producing at maximum capacity but why then doesn't Nissan build another facility?
    The best offer I could find was 285 over invoice.
  • dhathcockdhathcock Member Posts: 4
    I am considering purchasing a 2005 S model xterra 4x4. How does the new brake controlled limited slip compare to other manufacturers. I currently have a Dodge dakota with limited slip and a 94 suburban with locking diff and they work great. I don't off road, however I do drive in the snow and some muddy roads. Will both rear wheels pull at the same time or not? Does the 2004 model limited slip work better? Do I need to upgrade to the off road model when I really don't need the tires or suspension?
    Kathy:
    I have no problem letting you know who I worked with but I am not sure I should post it on the board. You can reach me at bbohnert@wi.rr.com. I can let you know the dealer and the contact person you should deal with. I usually check my email a couple times a day. I agree, my Off Road had the splash guards, the cargo organizer, the window deflectors, and the bug shield on the hood. I took off the bug shield and window deflectors. The cargo organizer is nice for groceries and stuff but gets in the way of big items. Mine was a located vehicle so that is why mine had all the accessories. I wanted the auto dimming rear view mirror but the truck does not have it. So, I had to buy it separate and will have to have the dealer put it in. Funny, the mirror was only $125. Much less than I thought. Talk to you soon.
    Brian
  • jere39jere39 Member Posts: 20
    I am in a near identical situation, and have been watching for any reply to your request. I have a brand new S model with several of the option packages, (Power, Utility, Protection). But, curiously, Nissan does not offer Fog Lights to plug into those nice blanks you mentioned in the S. Though standard on the O/R and SE, how would that make sense except in some strange alternate marketing world. I noticed that my son's 1996 Honda Civic has round fog/driving lights that would be almost the perfect size. He might want to consider posting a guard dog on his lights.

Have you heard from anyone, or found any source on your own. I like this xTerra, but I really miss the lights.
    Thanks,
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    I have done some checking, and I think part of the problem is that the 05 was redesigned. NISMO (Nissan's in-house supplier of aftermarket/performance parts) doesn't even have an 05 catalog for the Xterra yet. If you go to the Nissan website you can have them send you a NISMO catalog when it comes out.

I have read about people who fabricated a custom bracket and mounted fog lights in the 05 S, but I'm just going to wait a little longer. As we get into the second half of the year I predict we'll start seeing some aftermarket lights that will just plug right in.
  • wylygtwylygt Member Posts: 2
    Yes, Mike, I just purchased a 2005 Xterra 3 weeks ago. I have put 2000 miles on the SUV. Between the 4WD, in town, highway and highway with A/C on, I am averaging 18mpg. Not to bad. Nissan advertises 16 city and 21 highway. I have the 4 liter 6 cyl. :D 265HP. It's a real race horse! :D
  • wylygtwylygt Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my "S" did not have the fog lights, but it had everything else I wanted and needed. I would like to put them in, someday. One of the dealer reps said it was "prewired" for the fog lights but I didn't know wether to believe him or not. Does anyone know? Also, he said they could add them for about $700.00. I passed on it and I'm hoping for after market. I would be interested in any info for adding the lights. TKS!
    Prewired and they cost $700? Either they are not really prewired or they are making a lot of money on the installation.
  • miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    Do you guys know if aftermarket fog/aux xenon lights are available? That will brighten things quite a bit.

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check this out: Headlights & Bulbs (halogen, xenon, etc.)

tidester, host
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    hello all....

I'm a habitual PF owner (Previously owned a 2001 LE) and currently own a 2003 LE.

I'm LOVING the looks on the new Xterra (and also the new Pathy) and am contemplating purchasing another one sometime this summer. I just can't decide if I want to stay with the Pathy or step (a bit?) down to the Xterra.

Some Q's on the Xterra:

Moon Roof: Can you see anything when this is open? It's one of my favorite things on my Pathy....

Color Preferences:

I need to go check out the "Night Armor" color in person before I make up my mind....what do you all think?

Here is a shot of the "Night Armor" Xterra from the Nissan site:

If I don't make up my mind here this summer, I'll probably just wait until later this Fall when there are more deals on the Pathy and Xterra before the 06' Models start arriving...but if a dealer can give me a good price on the Xterra here this month (near invoice) then I can see myself pulling the trigger early.

I'm kinda scared going from a Pathy to an X...but I guess I probably shouldn't be. I'll be moving to the "High Desert" area of Southern California Desert (think Barstow/Fort Irwin area) and I think I would have a lot more "fun" in the X versus the PF....

Thanks for any and all discussion....

Mike
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I hate to be the one to break to you, but the new '05 X has NO moonroof option. So if moonroof is a requirement for you, you will need to stick with the PF.

I've seen the Night Armor in person, and I like it. It is on my color choice list, along with Granite & white. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with a dark color SUV or not.
    JGRIFF already pointed out the moonroof / sunroof issue, which also bums me out a little. With the roofline, I guess adding one would be tough also.

Pathfinder - Bigger with a 3rd row and more cargo area, smoother ride with IRS and the ability to add more "luxury" options (leather, etc.)

Xterra - More rugged and less expensive. A little smaller.

Both have lots of power. Having said that the Xterra is less expensive, I have noticed locally in Atlanta the dealers, which just started advertising the new Xterra (they were focused on clearing out the '04s until a couple of weeks ago) are actually advertising better lease deals on the Pathfinder. As Alan Greenspan would say, that is a conundrum. My guess is as both are out a while and inventories stabilize, this situation will end.
    I guess in all my comparisons between the new 05' Xterra and the 05' Pathy I failed to realize the lack of a Moon Roof on the X.

This is probably going to make me look even harder at the Pathy now...especially after owning the 2001 and 2003 models, both with Moon Roofs :)

Looks like I will definitely wait till this fall (OCT) to make my purchase now...

I would have liked to save a bit of cash and go w/ the Xterra - but I don't think I can do without a moon roof....
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    but if a dealer can give me a good price on the Xterra here this month (near invoice) then I can see myself pulling the trigger early.

Mike,

Check out new-nissans. They are a dot com offering 500 below invoice and are right in your neck of the woods (or suburbia).

Even without the moon roof I really like the X, but if you gotta have one, you gotta have one ;)

--Dan
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    When I test drove the PF, I could not get pass how little leg room there was in the 2nd row. So one is paying the price to have a 3rd row of seats, which to me was NOT that important.

I also like the more rugged looks of the X over the PF, plus it is not as expensive.
    dannyka (Dan) - Thanks for the new-nissans. information......

Still debating everything :)
  • drladdrlad Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 05 Xterra. I currently own a 03 and I tow a 3700 lb travel trailer. The 03 strains under the weight and has a hard time getting up to speed. I am hoping the 05 will be better. Any insight? The 03 is also supposed to be able to pull 5000 lbs, but it struggles.
  • xpirate04xpirate04 Member Posts: 3
    About the gas.. funny thing, I was actually reading the manual this morning and it is PREMIUM! I have an 04 XE with a 3.3 V6 and was very disappointed with the lack of power it has. But, it does say in the maual that if using less than PREMIUM will effect the performance. Right now I have a 1/4 of a tank with regular gas.. (the cheap kind) and am hoping to see a big difference when I have to refuel paying almost 20 more cents a gallon.
    How is everyones power/ performance when trying to go up hill or accelerate?
    Mine is poor, and I have a 2004 Xterra XE with a 3.3 V6 engine.
    BUT! I have been using REGULAR gas, not PREMIUM.
    Any responses to this would be nice... along with the detail of year, engine, and gas you use. I will be switching to premium today (since I just found out). I really hope pay for the high quality gas makes a difference. Also, I know that using regular unleaded has an effect on performance, but does it hurt my engine? It doesn't say in the manual that it would but maybe one of you happens to be a mechanic. Thanks for reading this... let me know.
  • kas72kas72 Member Posts: 2
    ok - so I coming into this a little late in the game.......
    I looked at the 04 SE but decided to wait for the 05 b/c of the changes in the interior. Now I am seeing postings about no moonroof??? I haven't looked at the 05s in person yet, but remember that the 04s had a pop up/removable moonroof. Can you clarify?
    The 5,000 lb rating is the same, but I would have to think with all the extra power and torque the '05 would do a much better job pulling your load. Also, both the Frontier and Pathfinder with essentially the same engine are rated as 6,000 lbs or over.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    xterra's have (had) pop-up moonroofs, but they were not removable unless you modified the catch.
    As far as I know, all X's (pre-2005) ran on regular ( 87 octane ) except for the SC.
    My 2000 is still running fine with reg, but I do use super as a treat before a good road trip, what ever mpg I gained was offset by the price increase.

Nice to see thisboard active again
    I have a 2004 Xterra XE and I cannot go faster than 95 w/o it jerking and slowing down. I am not too happy about that because I like to drive fast on the freeway. Is there anything I can do about that? I bought my Xterra in Dec of 2004.. Should have waited. But, I was told by my dealer that they were not going to change the body. I was originally going to buy a used Wrangler they had on the lot and somehow ended up with a new Xterra.. I must say overall I am happy with it. I never gave them much notice till I got one.
  • xterramexxterramex Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone!
    I just came across this site and I'm very X-cited to see so many Xterra peeps! I love it!
    Quick question. Do you know if there is a web site that can help me with installing an amp and a sub woofer to the stock stereo system? Is this at all possible? Please let me know.
    By the way I just bought a used 2001 4x4 Xterra. I'm loving it!!
    Thanks! :shades:
  • gatesharrisgatesharris Member Posts: 6
    Folks:

I want a white Off Road with manual transmission. Dealer cannot locate one. Dealer says I should settle for another color because he cannot order a 05 and supplemental side air bags will not be an option on 06.

Is it true that supplemental side and curtain air bags will not be an option in 06?

Thanks
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    All X's since 2000 have a cut off at 95mph, its a safety issue. Given the weight and height of the X, you shouldn't be travelling that fast anyway. A few have gotten around it by reprograming the chip.
  • keyurkeyur Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered a fully loaded :D Off-Road 6spd in Pennsylvania, and agreed to pay 500 above invoice. Do you guys think it's a decent deal :confuse: ?

Thanks!
    gatesharris,
    Are you sure about your dealer not being able to order? I want the exact one as you mentioned: white 4x4 Off Road with stick, and they are going to place an order for me soon. It will include the side airbags and Rockford package.

BTW, this is my first car purchase out of school so I was wondering if I negotiated the right price. I am paying 500 over invoice. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • rockdocrockdoc Member Posts: 6
    The worst my backroad travel gets is degraded dirt roads that sometimes go through washed-out ravines and arroyos - picture poorly maintained backroads in Death Valley, Joshua Tree, or the Sonoran Desert, and sand dunes drifted over such roads. To date, I've had no problems negotiating these routes, except for clipping some rocks with the front and rear overhangs of my 2000 4WD Extended Cab Ford Ranger pickup. I don't envision ever doing any true rock-hopping or extensive crosscountry off-road travel.

Given this type of worst-case travel, how valuable would it be for me to have an Off-Road Xterra versus a model without the locking rear differential? It seems to me that the VDC feature would improve the rough-road performance of the S or SE Xterra relative to the Ranger, and therefore might serve my needs very well. Price is not a limiting factor, so I could buy an Off-Road on the off-chance that I might use the locking differential once or twice in the vehicle's life (presuming that owning such a vehicle doesn't cause me to seek out more extreme driving challenges).

Any advice for me?
  • rockdocrockdoc Member Posts: 6
    My error - I meant the ABLS, not VDC.
    Off Road also gets you skid plates and better tires. I'm not a rock hopper either, but I do take my vehicle off road. I figure, if I am going to get an SUV, I might as well get some capability with it. When you figure in the additional standard equipment you get with the Off Road package, the price difference is pretty small.
    I hope this is wrong. I am talking to a dealer about ordering an Off Road 6 speed, with the SAB. They have not indicated that this is a problem.

I noticed all the new Xterra reviews I have read have been of the Off Road 6 speed. Several folks here have indicated that they want one. Why are there none in stock? BTW, I was told that since May, production has started of the Off Road 6 speeds with VDC, so if you order one now it should come with that feature.
  • treadheadtreadhead Member Posts: 3
    Thinking of buying my first X, really like the looks, not a lot of off road planned but looking to get into it, live in New England so looking forward to driving it in the snow. The QUESTION ?? Do I go with just the S model with a 6 speed or is the Off Road or SE worth the extra money???
    See my post 2580.

I still think that if you want a vehicle with power windows, locks, keyless, the utility package and you want features such as the VDC (IMHO some type of stability control is a key feature if you are buying a real SUV, as shown by several safety studies) you are not going to pay much more for some of the additional fun stuff with the Off Road, which bundles a lot of these features together as compared to getting an S with several of the packages to bring it to a comparable trim level.

However, if you want a stripped 2wd truck for as cheap as possible, than get an S. I don't see much point in getting an SE, but that is my opinion.
    Atlgast,
    Thanks for the input, now I have to go any do battle with the dealers.
    I'm going to try driving all of the models first and then try to do some on line negotiating with the sharks. Wish me luck.
    Thanks again
    Treadhead
  • kas72kas72 Member Posts: 2
    Just got home from the Nissan dealership and much to my sadness, they have eliminated all sunroof/moonroof/any kind of "window in the roof" for the 05 models. :( Suggested a potential aftermarket set-up, but as we all know - BAD IDEA!

Interior styling is dramatically improved over 2004 and engine has much more power. Not wild about the fabric choices (leather option from the 04 is no longer an option in the 05). I like the plastic-ish bed liner in rear for cleaning.

4x4 is now a switch on the dash vs lever on the center console (from 04). Nice addition.

Even with the new changes - still not sure if I am sold.......
    Went to one of my local Nissan Dealers the other night, their demo was an S model in bright yellow....Not what I wanted to drive, hate the yellow and the inside was greasy. Not a good experience, salesman claims they all ride the same, if they do why do they make different models with different size tires?? I can not imagine they all ride the same. Will try somewhere else next week. Any info on real world gas milage on the X????
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    My wife has an 05 2WD S with the 6-speed stick. She seems to make about 20 mpg regardless of highway/city, a/c or no a/c. Her Xterra only has about 2500 miles on it though, so mileage may go up a little when it's fully broken in.
  • ec8266ec8266 Member Posts: 1
    I have admired the Xterras from the time they came out so I'm finally going to buy one. But I'm having a hard time deciding on a 6 speed or an auto. I will be using this to tow a jet ski during the summer. I really want a 6 speed but I'm afraid it will pop out of gear and roll down the ramp into the water while I'm trying to unload this thing. The ramp I go to is pretty steep and I'm not sure if the e-brake alone would keep that thing still. Any suggestions? Or am I just being paranoid? :D

I also wanted to know if it costs anything to order one. I cannot find a yellow S with side airbags anywhere. Acutally, I can't find any S with side airbags around here.

Thanks!
  • rx300_99rx300_99 Member Posts: 5
    did anyone go thru last summer with the neoprene covers ? were they brutally hot and sticky ? thanks in advance.
  • gatorsfgatorsf Member Posts: 22
    We have a 2002 SE model, 2wd, v6, with 44,000 miles. I am looking to sell it or trade it in, but can't get more than $12,000 on a trade in. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the most effective place to place an ad what a reasonable price may be? I see dealers asking for as much as 18k for a comparable vehicle, but different online pricing tools give me a private-party sales range of 13.5k to 14.4k.

Thanks
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Go over to "real world trade-in values" here on Edmunds (thanks for the link, Tidester) & give Terry the rundown on your vehicle -- there's a format for all the information he needs at the bottom of the page -- and do give him all of it - color makes a big difference & so does where you live. He's in the business (if there were more like him, "used car salesman" wouldn't be perjorative) and bases his estimates on auction values for the area in question. He'll tell you what's reasonable wholesale (trade-in) or retail (sell it yourself). There's a lot of traffic on the board & it sometimes takes him a day or three to respond to everyone & sometimes you have to repost, but it's worth it.

You may not like the answer, but it'll be accurate.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link: Real-World Trade-In Values

tidester, host
  • krashkrash Member Posts: 6
    Based on my car buying experience, I'd say that $500 over invoice is "ok". You didn't get ripped off, but you probably could have paid a bit less, say right around invoice or even slightly under. Look at sites like this one for research on future purchases and you'll be ok. Dealers are in business to sell cars, but it's your responsibility to negotiate a price. I was able to get my Titan for 2k under invoice, 6k off of sticker. I don't think that's common, but the timing was right with the rebates. A couple of others got similar results during that time of year (Oct 04).
    Thanks for the insight krash.
  • xterrabatesxterrabates Member Posts: 1
    My truck does the same thing. I just thought it was normal.