Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• Options
    kbweaverkbweaver Member Posts: 2
    Several reviews of the Xterra mention a whistling or excessive wind noise at about 70 mph. I'm considering a new 2005 Xterra, but would appreciate any feedback from owners on this issue. How bad is the problem? Any remedies?

Thanks,

Keith
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I know the '05 Xterra just came out and they just cleared the '04s out dealer lots. But it is late July. I'm interested in ordering one because you cannot otherwise find a 6 speed, 4x4 Off Road with SABs and no other options. Does anyone know when Nissan will stop taking orders for the '05s? Does anyone know when you can start ordering the '06s? Maybe Nissan will catch up with the entry level subcompacts from Korea and start offering the SABs standard in 06.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I've owned a '05 X for about a month with serveral hiway trips 65-75 mph, at times the cross wind will cause a little bit of a hum, but to me nothing serious. Best bet would be to take one for a test drive and see for yourself.

The X is the best bang for the buck IMHO, and I test drove just about every SUV made less than $40k.
  • Options
    kbweaverkbweaver Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I hope to get a test drive in this weekend. Which model did you end up with?
  • Options
    gatesharrisgatesharris Member Posts: 6
    Any way to turn on the "running lights" that are required in Canada?

Have a OR 4x4 6-speed with SAB and am completely satisfied. The only problem was finding one. Nissan doesn't seem to think anyone wants a truck like that.....
  • Options
    tex11tex11 Member Posts: 3
    Tell me about it. I drove 120 miles to find the only OR 4wd automatic in Granite left in Florida.
  • Options
    thumper24thumper24 Member Posts: 7
    For those out there who are currently looking to buy an 05 Xterra this could be valuable information. I just spent 22k drive out price for my 05 Xterra S automatic with both Power and Utility packages and some assorted additions. Also, b/c I'm a recent graduate I got another $500 off from Nissan, so 21,500, but that won't apply for most. This price wasn't very difficult to get either. I had 3 dealerships in Houston who were within $200 of each other and I probably could have gotten better if I fought harder. It came down to the fact that only one had the color I wanted so I went and got it. Only had it 5 days, but I'm loving it already. Also, that 22k DOES NOT include the trade in. Don't even let them know you have one until you get them to your target price. I will assume that 21,500 drive out (this means tt&l included for those that don't know) can be done at the end of August or September for an 'S' with these packages. Note: TT&L in my area is roughly $1500 for this model.
  • Options
    ikastunikastun Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the forum. A month ago I bought a 05 Off-road Xterra, and the gas mileage is incredible poor.
    Nissan published on their web site that one should expect 16/21 (city/highway) but so far I'm getting 8.2 mpg.
    I took the truck to the dealership, and they performed some computerized tests and according to them, everything seems to be normal.
    Any advice?

regards

-Oscar
    from Mexico
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Oscar, welcome to Edmunds. It takes a while for some cars to break in and approach the EPA gas ratings. My Nissan didn't really start getting ok mileage until around 3,000 miles or so, and it kept increasing even after 10,000 miles.

So I'd give it a bit more time before taking it back to the dealer. 8 is pretty awful though - are you stuck in lots of stop and go traffic?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tex11tex11 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear that. I actually just bought a 05 OR 4x4 auto with just 24 miles on it and got 22 on the last tank (all highway). You may want to check your HWY miles and see if you are getting at least 18. If not, I would have it looked at. Are you hauling a heavy load or using 4wd much? Even if you did, 8 seems rough.
  • Options
    zmasterzmaster Member Posts: 3
    I test drove an 05 S xterra....what do you guys think about its steering? I thought it was a bit touchy...
  • Options
    thumper24thumper24 Member Posts: 7
    My Xterra S has fairly smooth steering...not too touchy. Note that depending on what you are changing from your comparison will be different. I switched from a 1/2 ton pickup so the drive is similar.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    If you are use to the old style circ. ball setup, then rack-inpinon will feel a lot different. But I've been real happy with the steering on the X. The Tahoe/Yukon/Surb that I test drove had way too much slop/play.
  • Options
    moxie1moxie1 Member Posts: 12
    Referencing this e-mail and others with Tampa, will you tell me whether your XTerra S is 4WD or 2WD? Also, did you consider the SE? Was adding options to S preferable?

Thanks,

Moxie
  • Options
    yellowmonsteryellowmonster Member Posts: 1
    I too just experienced this problem. It was a metal against metal squeal when I turned to the left and would continue until I tapped the break. Then it was fine. I took my Xterra 03 into the dealer this past weekend and needed new front brakes! I only have 24K miles on my car and do not drive like a wild woman. However the dealer informed me that my back breaks were totally out of adjustment so that they weren't even working properly. How this happened I don't know and would love for someone to tell me if I'm nuts. So I had to get new front brakes, as well as resurfacing of front brakes AND back brakes! It cost a fortune and I wasn't too happy about it.

Definitely take it in to get your breaks checked.
  • Options
    2004xterase2004xterase Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

I an 04 SE that just turned 25K miles. I am only getting about 15 miles to the gallon. I am not towing anything or am I using the 4WD. I had an 01 F-150 with a V8 that got better gas mileage than this. Any suggestions? I was thinking about adding a K&N air fliter system.

Thanks,

Shanw
  • Options
    xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    You have to take a little precaution with the rear brakes on the X, the main cause is a small pulley inside the drum used by the E-brake. I tends to bind up, not releasing the cable for the brake, therefore you're riding them. (burning the drum)
    Easy to check, if the have a manual, see how it rolls while in neutral on a slight slope, or check for heat with your hand aftera short drive if you have an auto.
    A little copper grease on this pully usually prevents this from happening.

This isn't an X thing, happens on most trucks.
  • Options
    Yep, that's about right. Speed is the main killer, you really have to try to keep it in the 55-65 mph zone, or else it drops off quick.
    I have a K&N on my X, gained maybe 2mpg (comparing same trip, same time of year) but it seems I also lost 2mpg during the winter months.
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Hi, X owners!

If the rear seats are folded, and the front passenger seat is folded, is the surface smooth like a good bed, from the dash all the way to the back? Or are there any lumps, bumps, or protrusions, which would make it impossible to have a good sleep?

If you know any good links with pictures of the folded seats, I would most appreciate!

Thank you :)
  • Options
    shindujashinduja Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 X-Terra 2WD - I have loved it so far but with the gas going beyond $3 a gallon, I was forced to measure the consumption which surprisingly came to 14 mpg !!! Is this normal? Every 6 days cost a tank full - 47 Dollars !!! The SUV has about 25K miles on it and I do not tow anything.
  • Options
    There's a bunch of tips at the Edmunds.com Fuel Economy Guide.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    janipoojanipoo Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone had problems with the dash getting spotted from cleaners? I cleaned my windows with windex and noticed all of these spots on the dash from the overspray, it looked like it had been bleached it out; it took a lot of scrubbing to get it cleared up. I have also noticed when wiping the dash down it also gets smeared and funky looking. I would be curious to see what everyone else uses to clean there X, I never had this trouble with any other vehicle. I don't care for Amorall because it is too greasy.

BTW...I have a 2002 X

Thanks,
    JANET
  • Options
    nxtnxt Member Posts: 5
    Hi ,

How is Xterras performance in adverse snow conditions .

Will there be any diff b'n the OffRoad and SE in this regards ?
  • Options
    In a pre-05 X, there is plenty of room to camp/sleep in the rear with just the rear seats folded. Some owners use a double air matress back there, storing their bags in the front seats. (the front seats do not fold flat)
    Don't know about an'05+ except the rear seat cushions are no longer removable.
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    does anyone know if nissan plans on using, for example, cylinder de-activation in any of it's suv's to improve mileage?
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Don't know about Nissan using that technology, their focus is on power right now. I test drove an 06 Honda Pilot with the cylinder deactivation technology, let me tell you, that thing takes the fun out of driving. Honda claims that the driver wouldn't even realize that the engine has deactivated half the cylinders, well, I felt it. I knew when I took my foot off the gas that the engine deactivated 3 cylinders. With no torque from 3 cylinders there is no way for you to creep along traffic, if you want to move foward you gotta step on the gas. Engine also need more time to "wake up" after you hit the gas, I felt like I would be using more fuel based on how often I had to step on it to move a little bit. Personally I like all cylinders firing. I'll take fun over economy any day, not to say I don't care about mileage mind you. I wouldn't be caught dead in a HUMMER or anything larger than an Xterra for day to day driving. I would be interested if Nissan offered a Hybrid or dissiel engine for the Xterra. Personally, I favor an ultra clean dissiel to a hybrid, still don't trust hybrid drive trains. Maybe because I can't understand them or fix them.

Mike

P.S. buying 05 Xterra on Friday! YEAH!! so excited, have been wanting one ever since the original came out.
  • Options
    "It's not only faster than before, it sounds more refined and has better throttle response. Just nudge the gas and this Xterra jumps off the line. Midrange torque is a little soft, but swing past 4,000 rpm and the engine wakes up with another surge of power that continues right up to the 6,000-rpm shift point."

Full Test: 2006 Nissan Xterra (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    clarencehollowclarencehollow Member Posts: 60
    In the Edmunds Comparator it lists the 2006 Nissan X-Terra as having a BENCH seat. That is very incorrect, as the seating up front is Buckets - all the way!
  • Options
    Thanks Clarencehollow, I'll ask the data people to check it out.

There's a Contact Us form in the Help link on the left if you spot any other errors.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    uywashuywash Member Posts: 2
    "Reverse is to the right and down but to get to it you need to push down on the stick shift in order for the gate to let you in."

Question for those driving the 6-speed manual Xterra and for those that may know... I am having a problem with my stick shift becoming stuck (does not spring back up in neutral) in the down position where I can go in to reverse freely without the extra effort. AND often times, it will be stuck in the "up" position and I can not go into reverse at all. My dealership recently put a new transmission in the vehicle. I picked up my car Wednesday and it seemed to work normally.. So a new transmission in my 4 month old (3000 mile) truck and I am still seeing the problem. I had to push it out of a parking space last night because the stick was stuck in the up position. The odd part... when I woke up this morning to take the truck back to the shop.. the shifter worked perfectly! This has happened to days in a row. The shifter gets stuck after work and then in the morning, it is working fine. Is anyone else seeing this problem????
  • Options
    uywashuywash Member Posts: 2
    I neglected to mention this is a 2005 Nissan Xterra
  • Options
    The bench seat info should be fixed - the data manager congratulates you on your sharp eyes and thanks you!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mentemente Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,
    just wanted any opinions/suggestions on how I can secure the spare wheel under my 05 xterra. I live in the city and I know those get ripped off all the time. I was told nissan makes a lock specifically for this, but they are easily stripped out and that a good cable with pad lock would work best. I'm not sure a pad lock swinging under my car is a great idea though (especially when it gets rusted over by salt, etc). any ideas?

Thanks
    mente
  • Options
    dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    mente,

I came across this when I was looking at 4Runners and was concerned about the same thing. It may be something to consider. NOTE: I don't have one of these locks, nor do I have any experience with this particular store, so YMMV.
    http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/niinsptilo.html
    Maybe do a search on "winchlock" or "black max" (another name I found).

Good luck!

--Dan
  • Options
    lhuang248lhuang248 Member Posts: 2
    If the vehicle did not have the XM/Sirius satelite radio added to the car when it was purchased, can it be added later? I am getting mixed information, since the information booklet says that the Rocksford Fosgate radio system is "pre-wired for satelite radio" standard, but that XM/Sirius must have been added during installation for it to work?

Can I add XM/Sirius afterwards to my existing Rocksford Fosgate radio system, or do I need to just get an external one? Thanks!
  • Options
    vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I had an '00 Automatic XE. I drove it for about 70k miles and did like the car. It was very rugged and had virtually no repairs beyond normal maintainence. I even got another set of long trails at 55k.

However I NEVER got better than 17.5mpg. In fact, I often got around 15 with 13-14 not uncommon in the cold weather.

So, last year when I started a job that required about 100 miles per day driving I traded the Xterra for a Jeep Liberty with the diesel engine (CRD). I now have about 15k on the Jeep. My "average" mpg is about 24, but has gone as high as 27.5 in the summer and as low as 22 in the winter. I have to say I liked driving the Xterra better, but the Jeep is still a "solid" vehicle. If Nissan would put a diesel in the Xterra I would trade back.

Yes, I know diesel is more expensive than regular right now, but in the warm months it was less expensive. In fact with diesel 20% higher than regular I still come out OK as I'm getting 40% better mileage than in the Xterra. In addition, I try to use Bio-Diesel when I can (b-20 blend).
  • Options
    qwert13qwert13 Member Posts: 24
    Simply out of curiosity, has anyone else received a notice from Nissan that starts out with this paragraph:

Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We know that towing a trailer may have been an important consideration in your vehicle's purchase. In new Titan, Armada, Pathfinder, Frontier, and Xterra vehicles, Nissan recently introduced enhanced electric circuitry which may further protect your vehicle from damage or fire caused by a short circuit wiring or mis-installation of trailer lighting or electrical accessories. This is to advise you that Nissan is making this production enhancement available to you free of charge so that you will have the same protection should you ever tow a trailer with a defective electrical system.
  • Options
    stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    Yes we received two notices from Nissan. The first was a recall for a trailer hitch (which we didn't have), and the second notice was as you said.
  • Options
    lee35lee35 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problems with my 2002 xterra. They have changed the cruise control and spent 5 hours trying to figure out the problem about a week ago but came up with nothing.

Did you ever get a resolution to the problem?
  • Options
    lee35lee35 Member Posts: 2
    My 02 xterra has been rusting around the rear hatch since I purchased it. They, Nissan, knows about it because they specifically exclude dealing with in the warranty ... they call it fallout.
  • Options
    The rust warranty is supposed to be 5 years and unlimited miles but that usually means they warrant there won't be any perforation in the sheet metal.

If this is getting to be a common issue, then there's going to be some sales fallout (more so as people read the stories about the problem models coming out of the new Canton plant).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    02xterra02xterra Member Posts: 1
    I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but you bought an SUV, not a Hybrid. You should expect to get low mpg. Before I got an Xterra I had a Landcruiser that only got about 11-12. And yes diesel gives you more mpg's because it burns slower than regular fuel. I even read some where that a guy who had an Hummer H1 got better mpg than his new xterra. All in all people should not expected any better than 18mpg on suv. If you do get better than that, congratulations!
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Yeah, you can, but you need to buy the receiver, wires, and antenna from the dealer. it's like $600 all together.

Or you can just go with an external, removeable model. I got the XM roadie XT in my 05 SE and it works great. spend a little time to run the wires right and the install will be a clean one.

Mike
  • Options
    michael43michael43 Member Posts: 4
    I recently got rid of my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 after it cost me well over $2000 to repair. :lemon: Good riddance, too. Anyway, I was comparing the Xterra OR to the Ford Explorer XLS. I am stumped and confused. I really like the Xterra, though I think the body style on the Ford is much more "sporty", and I much prefer the interior of the Xterra. They both appear pretty comparable on paper. does anyone have any suggestions or opinions as to what might help me make a decision???

Mike
  • Options
    stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    (Assuming you're purchasing new) all things being equal, your resale value on an X will probably be higher than the Explorer. I read somewhere that Explorer values drop off a cliff after a couple years.

My wife has had her 05 Xterra SE for almost a year (6-speed stick, 2WD) without any problems whatsoever. Gas mileage has never been lower than 20, has been as high as 22.5 mpg - mostly city.

The interior of the X is pretty nice, the seat fabric seems pretty rugged. My only complaint is that it's easy to scratch up the plastic in the cargo area. As well, anything you put back there slides around like it's teflon.

I'll tell you one thing about the X, at least the 6-speed version, it's FAST. There's not too many other trucks that can keep up with it, and you can really bark the tires when you grab second.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, the resale value is definitely a plus in my book (being as the resale on my DR1500 is a negative number). Also, I was very surprised to hear about the gas mileage, nice plus! I think I'm leaning toward the Xterra OR at this point, and its probably going to be either that or the S model depending on what price I can get.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    lsylvesterlsylvester Member Posts: 2
    Hi Mike,

Get the Xterra. I purchased an Xterra in 2001, the same year my sister purchased a Ford Explorer...I have had one minor problem that was fixed by the dealer ( thermostat adjustment) and that was it, plus my Xterra saved my life last month when a car crossed the median and hit me head on :sick: !!! All vehicles involved and a steel guard rail were totaled - I was wable to walk away from the accident. The highway patrolman credited the solid structure of the vehicle (and the fact I was wearing my seatbelt) with saving my life. Gas mileage was decent for an SUV as well (18-20 mpg)
  • Options
    Thanks again for the info! I can honestly say that the Xterra is going to be my choice. I only need now negotiate the price. Seems like Superior Nissan here in Charlotte is going to win, as they are giving me below invoice pricing.

I am an officer myself, and its hard to believe you were able to walk away from something like that! First of all, glad to hear you are ok, and second, its excellent news to hear the Xterra stood its ground.

I can only assume you got another Xterra (I have to assume you did not make the same mistake I did. I ran my Pontiac Grand Am into a tree doing 40 MPH :sick: and then bought a Dodge Ram. We all make mistakes :P Anyway, my Dodge just crapped out on me. Gear shifter wouldn't go beyond reverse, and I had to force it into park to get my keys out. Well, that, or let it get stolen. Took it to the dealer where I bought it (mistake #2) and they took me for a $4100.00 ride. :cry: Made me think $1900.00 of that was for the problem with the tranny, then turn around and say they discovered that the truck would not come out of park. Ahhhh, crap. Thing is, I'm looking for something long lasting and reliable, and judging from the input I'm getting, the Xterra is a winner.

Thanks for letting me [non-permissible content removed] about Dodge. My life's mission now is to ruin DaimlerChrysler stock ;) .
  • Options
    The utility package (tubular step rails, etc) is available as an option on the Xterra S. However, it is not listed as an option or as standard equipment on the Off Road. Does anyone know if it is standard on the Off Road, or if not, is it available and just not listed?
  • Options
    garyt4garyt4 Member Posts: 12
    Just finished changing the oil in my '05 xterra. When comparing the old filter with the new one I noticed it's significantly shorter. Checking part #'s the longer filter is # 15208-9E00 vs #15208-65F00! The shorter one fit and I ran the truck to see if there were any leaks, so far so good. I will call parts first thing tomorrow but I have to use the truck to get to work. Any help appreciated.