Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• jpjdjpjd Member Posts: 1
    Have maintained my 05 and love it until it accelerated and took us into a concrete bulkhead. I was almost to a complete stop, foot on brake, it revved up & accelerated and we flew forward about 8' into a concrete bulkhead and then back about 7'. The whole time my foot was on the brake. Airbags didn't deploy until I turned it off - then with a fizzle and didn't fully inflate, and seatbelts never engaged. Has anyone else encountered this? I've heard of it with Pathfinders, Jeeps, and Audis. The engine is now about 1' shorter than it was and all engine components are compacted together. I have asked the ins. to see if my rig has a black box in it as cars newer than 2004 with airbags do have black boxes. Ins. is going to repair it. Frame is bent in two places and they are cutting it out and replacing it. I am wondering just how safe it will be to drive and if it will happen again. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank you!
  • lvxterra05lvxterra05 Member Posts: 1
    Last night as I was driving down the freeway at 50mph, the left front wheel detached with a clunk. Was barely able to get it under control and by standing on the brake got it to stop. As soon as the tow truck lifted it, the wheel completely detached. All of the lug nuts were broken off. I had heard a light flapping sound for the two days prior, but it did not seem like a serious issue - I guess I was wrong on that one! I have never experienced such a disturbing event in 26 years of driving. My 5 year old daughter was in the back seat, and I am now doubtful of the safety of this vehicle. Carmax, where I bought this prize just 6 weeks ago is completely clueless as to how to fix it. Can anyone offer any help or advice?
  • pdclaypdclay Member Posts: 7
    I am seeing all these posts of the Xterra get 18 to 23 MPG. I bought a 2008 OFF ROAD model which has transfer case, locking rear differential, hill descent control and other mileage robbers the other models don’t have. I get 11 MPG on dirt road and 15 on the highway. I live in the Arizona hot desert rural community so I don't get city driving. I never had a six cylinder get such poor mileage. Every thing else I like. Runs good on the highway, good suspension and steering, plenty of power. For being a true off road machine, I say off road because it truly has a truck type ladder frame... only Toyota FJ Cruiser and the Xterra have ladder frames in SUV’s. The question I have, comparing apples to apples does every one with the OFF ROAD Model with the 4.0 liter 5 speed automatic get such poor mileage? I am starting to believe they changed something for 2008? At least for the Off Road Model???
    Thanks,
    Clay
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I have an '07 Off Road edition and I was getting 20-22mpg in the summer and 17-19mpg in winter, most likely due to different gas used in winter. Even with almost full tank used in 4WD during the snow storm I got 17mpg. The only difference is mine is 5M and not an automatic, but I don't think it should make such a huge difference.

Didn't have a chance to try it off-road but I can see it getting 11mpg or less during some serious off-roading.
  • jms703jms703 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '08 Xterra Off Road with similar options. I can watch the needle move...heh heh. How are you measuring mileage?

I'm in the SF Bay Area and am shocked at how much gas I am guzzling.
  • pdclaypdclay Member Posts: 7
    When I purchase gas I reset the odometer. Then you have the number miles driven for the next gas purchase which comes soon in the Xterra. I keep a calculator in the console and divide the number of gallons purchased into the number of miles on the odometer. That’s the only accurate way to measure Miles Per Gallon. The fuel gauge is very accurate and yes you can see it move quickly down. It can give a rough estimate when it reads half full is about ten gallons. I look at the odometer and usually have about 165 miles. Which is 16.5 MPG. Better not drive over 330 miles or you will be walking to the gas station.
  • 9babies9babies Member Posts: 1
    I can only get 12 mile a gallon on my xterra, is there something wrong with it.
  • thomaszthomasz Member Posts: 5
    I think Xterra is always in good condition.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    It sounds like the previous owner or serviceperson hugely overtorqued the lug nuts or had replaced them with something from the hardware store. Proper torque is probably 98 Ft/Lbs.; your owner's manual will say for sure.

You need to immediately check the other wheels. If you can't remove them with the lug nut wrench that came with the truck, they're probably overtorqued. Overtorquing can also warp the brake rotors. Scary stuff -- thank heaven you stopped safety! :surprise:
  • swintronixswintronix Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Xterra. 6 months ago, my truck was hit, and repaired at a body shop. Since then (and never before this event) the car alarm is ultra-sensitive.

It goes off within 5 minutes of me locking the truck w/ the key fob. It will go off every 5-7 minutes, or maybe every 10 minutes. In recent weeks it will go off within 2 minutes of locking the truck. It is definitely getting worse.

I no longer lock the truck, because I don't want to upset my neighbors with the constant alarms.

I took the truck to mechanic who didn't know how to lower the sensitivity. I asked him is he could simply disable the alarm, but he wasn't sure about that either.

Is there a way to just disable the alarm function without affecting anything else? I would just as soon be able to lock the car without the alarm feature. Or, how does one go about decreasing the sensitivity of the car alarm?

Thanks in advance!
  • steveg64steveg64 Member Posts: 6
    I bought it new and it was fine till it hit 30k. I'm just not happy with it and I don't feel good about the warranty coming to an end. Also it sucks on gas and even that has got worse. Are all the 05's bad?
    Anything specifically (aside from gas mileage which will generally suck on everything larger than corolla nowadays)?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My '97 Subaru alarm was acting up - I suspected the shock sensor, and it seemed mostly affected by cold weather. There is an sensitivity dial adjustment on mine. Assuming the factory setting can be adjusted, the dealer may know how to set yours for a lower sensitivity.

I go so frustrated with mine, instead of tinkering with the dial settings, I disconnected the battery and pulled the siren out and clipped the wires. Now it sometimes doesn't want to crank if I don't hit "unlock" on the key fob or press the "secret" override button that mine has, so I really can't recommend this method. But it did shut it up!

Good luck - durn alarms can really drive you boinkers.
  • mysportmysport Member Posts: 19
    Have 2006 with 22K on it and rust bubbles are forming just below the rear window. No accidents or anything like that. Not looking forward to resolving this with the dealer/Nissan - if the clutch fiasco we went through is any indication.

Ugghh.
    What kind of gas do you put in XTerra? I've been fulling up with mid grade for the last years on all of my cars (including XTerra) and the dealer recently told me that all Nissans are designed for regular unleaded for the last several years.

I know that it'd make only $3-4 difference per fuel up but it all adds up.
  • bogfuggerbogfugger Member Posts: 3
    my 05 offroad has the rust bubbles you mentioned,it also has rust on the spotwelds on bottom of rear lift hatch,where outside door skin and inside door structure is spot welded,have 2 cases with nissan 800 customer service active now,have contacted BBB,now looking into filing a lawsuit againt nissan and dealership,neither wants to fix problem.....i dont feel my 2005 should have rust on it
  • jdrivers09jdrivers09 Member Posts: 1
    First off, I apologize for replying so late, however I had the exact same issue around the same time with my purchased brand new 2006 Off Road manual transmission. The only difference in my case, was I quit searching around the net because Nissan graciously decided to repair my clutch under warranty. I have a feeling it was because the service manager here in Fairbanks, AK really pushed for the warranty coverage. The flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch pad all had to be replaced at 21k miles. I noticed it failing well before I took it to the dealer, but I literally smoked the thing! They gave me the same spiel about how there are no recorded cases of 06 clutch failures and how it's probably because I'm hard on my vehicle. I did tow about 3500 lbs from Georgia to Alaska, but at no time did I ever "abuse" my clutch. I have been driving manual shift vehicles for 9 years now, 3 of them towing cars in a wrecker, so I know abuse to a clutch. I keep reading more and more of these posts on the net, which concerns me for the next 20k miles on this clutch. Whenever towing or in 4x4, I can smell the pad burning again, and despite taking it back to the dealer twice, they have yet to do anything about it. If it happens again I'm just going to replace it myself with an aftermarket clutch kit. Nissan is a [non-permissible content removed] for not doing anything about this for others; last Nissan I buy.
  • judy28judy28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mattyk19,

I was so welcome to see your clutch problem, and as many others stated, it can't be my driving habilts as you have driven mannual your whole life. Me too. I find my 2005 Frontier clutch is bad at 47,000 miles. The dealer says it is not covered unless they open it up (with my authorization for $400 if not covered) and it is a spring.For a truck that is supposed to be rated for a towing capacity of 5000 punds plus what a buch a nonesense. My dealer has reffered me to nissan. I was wondering how you made out with your situation.
    Thank you, judy
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Considering buying this for my 16yr old...........w/94K miles on it for 5K. Not sure if I will as it does not have side air bags. I used to have a 98 Maxima that ran forever and was very reliable. Any thoughts on the reliability of this model, and specific issues/parts inherent to the 03 Xterra?
  • pietroantpietroant Member Posts: 3
    Just recently posted my issue under the Xterra clutch problem forum. I know yours occured a few months ago. Have you made any progress.
    On the 2009 Xterra Manual Transmission 6-Speed is the parking brake a handbrake in the center console or is it somewhere else? Thanks. :confuse:
    It better be! I looked at the pics they listed on their website and it's either int he center console or under the left foot. If it's a foot brake it completely defeats the purpose of having the manual transmission.
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    hi,

i have an 08 6 speed and I can verify that the parking brake is an old fashioned handle between the seats (thank god!).
  • xtierraxtierra Member Posts: 55
    i was getting 11 mpg......on my 2005 xterra. the problem was when i cleaned the battery posts, i did not realize that the ecu got re-set and when i started engine it was on its re-learning air/fuel mixture procedure...... you must keep rpm's from 1000 to 1500 and not go above that for the following: take truck to open highway with low rpm's and get up to 60 mph for 15 minutes. i drove with low rpm's for 2 days just to make sure. took a 265 road trip and was back to 20's mpg. so if you notice your mpg abnormal, this should be the reason. the mechanic showed me on his nissan computer that my engine was performing at 86% prior to re-setting ecu.
    Thanks for your response on the 6-Speed Xterra parking brake handle location -- that is indeed good news. I agree with you --putting a foot pedal for such gets tiresome and it crowds the floorpan.
  • owndog65owndog65 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Xterra currently with P265/75R16 radial tires. I would like to put an All terrain or Mud terrain tires on it. Should I stay with a 265/75R16 tire or can I go with LT265/70R17E tires?
  • gvkgvk Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys,

Can somebody tell me where 2009 XTerra is ? I don't see it at Nissan dealerships here in Houston. Isn't it due ? It was supposed to be released for sale back in October 2008 as far as I know !? Wanted to take a look at the new 2009 model and drive it, but where the hell is it ???

thanks!
    Edmunds.com now has a view inventory link - drill down to the Xterra using your Houston zip code, click on View Inventory near the top left, and it'll find any within 200 miles.

They must be rare though - I only see one 2009 model within 200 miles of Boise right now.

I don't see anyone posting about buying an '09 over in the Nissan Xterra Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion.

Any Nissan salespeople here with the scoop? Did we miss an announcement about the release date?
    You can also look at www.nissanusa.com and check dealer inventory. In the immediate Houston area, Baker Jackson South has 1 Ea, Mossy Nissan has 2 Ea, Tom Peacock has 2 Ea, Baytown has 1 Ea, Clear Lake has 2 Ea and Gillman has 1 Ea. Good luck in your search.
  • gvkgvk Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for your responses ! I live near Nissan Peacock and those two 2009 xterras they have are 2008 models actually ! Not sure about other dealerships (will call them), but Robbins Nissan, another dealer in my area, don't have 2009 xterras either.. weird, when a new model is released dealerships usually have tons of them.. never seen it on the streets as well. If it's been on sale since september- october 2008, there must be at least a few of them running on the streets... something is wrong... I'd better ask some nissan sales guy...
  • 2xterra2xterra Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get your rust issues resolved? I bought an '06 last year. Got a car was today and when I got home went to get stuff out of the back and noticed there were small rust spots all over the back hatch with bubbles around the window. So now I need to go to the dealer and try to "prove" that this should not be like this.

I am hoping you had a positive outcome. It would be great to know so I could use your experience to help me.

Thanks
    I've seen only 1 Ea '09 at my local dealer. Given the very low sales of SUVs these days and vehicles in general, I'll bet dealers are reluctant to order them for stock.

When I went to see the '09 at my dealer, the salesguy was first and foremost interested in where I worked and how long I'd worked there. I thought it odd and only afterward did it occur to me that he was checking my potential creditworthyness before spending time with me! Sheeesh.

My wife is interested in a 6-Speed 4x2 in S Trim. The downside of Xterra is that it's a bit wide for our garage, it's fuel economy isn't all that attractive and it's priced at a level that is more than we wish to pay. If March '09 brings better incentives, we might take a 2nd look.
  • PLANETRUSSPLANETRUSS Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 2001 xterra..heard about performance chips for better pep and or gas mileage. Has anyone had any success with a mod chip or other device that you can recommend? Love the truck..Just want alil more ZOOM from it if possible...Thanks
  • cowboy03cowboy03 Member Posts: 2
    GUYS, I LIVE IN N.J. AND THE PICK'NS ARE SLIM FOR THE 09 XTERRAS, AND I SERCHED OVER 100 MILE AREA,I ALSO SENT A E-MAIL TO NISSAN NO RESPONCE.

COWBOY
    You can probably special order one to suit. I couldn't find the Frontier I wanted three years ago and ordered it. Took about eight weeks as I recall, no problems.
  • cowboy03cowboy03 Member Posts: 2
    THANKS.
  • altimadrvraltimadrvr Member Posts: 7
    if it matters im north of boston at a nissan dealer and 1 have 1 xmodle 4x4 with nav
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Does anyone know why the Xterra only offers part-time all wheel drive?
    I'm not sure, but perhaps it's more durable and/or is less expensive to produce.
    Xterra is a truck, not a crossover. The front diff is always locked when in 4x4 which makes it much more capable when off road
    My jeep liberty with selec-trac has both full time and part time awd. I would have bought the xterra if that option was offered. I never go off road but could. Using the part time really restricts you to very severe traction conditions. The drive train binds up in turns if the traction improves. Oh well -- corporate knows best. Just a note. I recently swapped out the shocks on my liberty for bilsteins and the improvement was dramatic. The ride is less jittery with better control and grat dampening. Rides like a euro suv. You can get them for xterras for 239 a set free shipping at shox.com.
    Is it RWD other times?
    Yes rear wheel drive until I engage the shift lever which has part time and full time options. there is also a super low setting for climbing rough terrain very slowly. The all wheel drive is not 50/50 but the part time locks the wheels so they all are turning together which is a problem when turning on good traction surfaces.I assume that is also the case with the 4x4 xterra. Get a set of bilsteins and you'll never trade in your xterra.
    Yes, it definitely is a problem on X as well as on any other truck with always locked front diff. In fact, I've seen pics of cracked front diffs which happens when you drive with them locked on dry pavement too much.

I got Off Road edition - it comes with nice set of shocks. Probably not quite as good as bilsteins but they'll do for now :) I will consider replacing them with something better when it's time to get them replaced though.
  • ditto204ditto204 Member Posts: 1
    I bought window deflectors straight from Nissan for my 2008 Exterra; and although I have directions, a couple of the diagrams are impossible to understand. They have the glue tape and metal brackets that connect to the top of the window. Can anyone tell me if these are SUPPOSED to be positioned about 1/2" BELOW the top of the door opening? Seems like they'd look best if they were mounted along the top of the door. Could anyone send me a picture of how the finished product looks on their vehicle? If I can see what it's suppose to look like when done, think I'll understand better. I'm afraid to begin the process for fear of messing it up! njohnson169@myway.com Thanks!
    The 2010 Xterra goes on sale in August 2009. Revisions for 2010 include:

Xterra S model with manual transmission no longer available

Technology Package content standard on SE and OR models

Revised X Gear Package content, now standard on S and SE models

Simplified exterior color selection (six available colors)
  • xt200kxt200k Member Posts: 2
    pro's good on raod
    1 good off road
    2 happy with the bf goodwich tires rugged trail tires 265 65 17, yes iv'e tired other
    3 tires but these work the best for me
    4 ok on road 17 -18 on hwy 14 - 16 in city
    5 i go off road alot and it brings me out the ditch each time.
    6 i use full syn castrol and only change oil every 7 - 9 k miles.
    7 i do a once a year complete service of change all belts, hoses, and fluids.
    8 and at 200k i finally got to change the o2 sensors.
    9 ive only changed the spark plugs once around 100k ago.
    10 no paint fading, some chips here and there ; got to hate the road debris
    11 on my 3rd set of front brake pads and rotors but still on the org back set!
    12 no major problems with suv
    13 after market tow system from nissan
    14 tows what i need to tow here and there
    15 all windows go up and down with ease

con's
    1 driver seat fading color from seating in it so long.
    2 the arm rest on front doors the paint shows wear and tear and hardly any body
    3 rides shot gun.
    4 the trim around the gauges, glove box, and radio are fading; and im a neat freak
    5 when it comes the cleaniness.
    6 the cd button on player is loose and i rarely touch it!
    7 sunroof bolt that holds latch had to be adjusted
    8 had to replace wiper hose and nozzle, some thing made it back up on the passenger side only
    9 rust under the back end above the spare tire
    10 rust on the transmission dip stick

and for those that complain about gas mileage, its an suv not a car not a hybird, so you pay for what you get
  • xt200kxt200k Member Posts: 2
    its your catalytic convertor gone bad, look under the suv towards the middle and its a round housing with two cicrles, thats whats makeing the noise.
  • sousapsousap Member Posts: 2
    i want to put a 3 inch suspension lift on my xterra i gut a 2002 3.3 auto and it goes good i own it for a year now and it had 78000 miles on it when i gut it paid $10'000 for it and put 18000 miles on it so far not bad and when i put it in four wheel drive goes real good want good tires for it for on road and off road can anyone help me i found a lift kit for$1050 not bad but what do you think on lifting it or not :confuse:
  • fsantfsant Member Posts: 1
    I live in Mexico and their roads are full of speed bumps. My xterra seems to bottom out when I go over these bumps without a load. If i am carring passengers in the rear I almost eject them from their seats. How do I fix it??????