Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• Options
    minza9mmminza9mm Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Within the next month we are going to purchase an Xterra.
    I want to make the most informed decision I can. I would like to know your insights as owners of Xterras of what to get, (I am thinking that the sunroof blocked by the roof rack is umm (forgive me)silly and probably a waste of $'s. What not to get and after the sale what quirks to watch out for.

Thanks!

Tiffany
  • Options
    estevef1estevef1 Member Posts: 22
    Hi all,

Hope to get an Xterra XE P/U/S V6 within a month or so...

I've been lurking across this board and Xterraowners.com and saw a thread about rust spots on the vast majority of Xterras [2000 and 2001] and Frontier trucks:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000191.html

Good luck,
    Steve
  • Options
    bigbill2bigbill2 Member Posts: 3
    I called Xterraparts and they said the net for the roof gear basket only covers the storage bin and they do not sell a net that covers the entire roof rack. I will probably just go with the rubber strip kit and bungy cord every to the roof rack.
    The rubber strips go for $16.95 and have a part number of Code: 999M1-KL004. There is also an installation procedure for installing the rubber strips at the xterraparts.com.
  • Options
    xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    The roof strips are just pre cut body side molding, I see them in long rolls at the local carparts stores, and you can get them in varied widths.. the nissan ones should fit the ridges on the roof nicely though, and look more tailored.
    If the net fits the safari rack, ( assuming its elastic ) it should suit your purpose.. the right size and coverage, at the most, it would be a small mod to get them to clip to the side rails and crossbars. ( Better than bungy )

Guinness: We don't have the amigo here, and from what I understand, we ain't missing much. The rear window is a little high.. or standard for any SUV, it takes a little getting used to, use your side mirrors anyway.

Minza9mm: Get what you want, if the sunshine is high on your list, go for the SE, and ditch the basket. If not.. XE 3 pak. 4x4 and tranny is your pick to your needs. Just make sure the contract reflects the price agreed to, and don't go too crazy for extras like bushguards and the like at the dealer, they tend to pad their pockets on these items.
  • Options
    xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    as xcanuck said, and we can't stress this enough is don't buy any aftermarket parts from your dealer!!! I'm superbly satisfied with my XE 3pack. I had a VW passat for 2 years w/ a sunroof, and i'm sure that in the summer i'll miss it, but in the X its senseless and a waste of money!! i opted for the XE because it was cheaper (i paid $23,300), and i didn't need all the extras. i put in my old Pioneer in-dash CD player, a 12 CD changer (mounted on back seat underneath the passenger side cushion), brush and push guards, xenon heads and fogs, window sheilds (i smoke, and in the rain, they're key!!) and i couldn't be happier. I did opt for the manual tranny, a little more pep. i'm sure many people will give you the same advice. But do whatever makes you happy!! we're always glad to see another Xer!!! Good luck!!
  • Options
    xcellenttrk > how did you mount a changer on the back seat under the cushion ? Unless you have the rear seats folded down, and you have it in the footwell ??
  • Options
    silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Now that you mention it, the view out the back is one gripe I have about the X. Between the tinted glass and the high window, I find it very hard to maneuver backwards at night, particularly when I get stuck in my driveway and have to back downhill in the dark. Of course, I usually have a bunch of crap piled up back there that further blocks the view. One of these days, I'll really have to learn to use the mirrors.
  • Options
    2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    I posted this in the XOC bulleting board, but thought I'd post it here as well just in case a few of you are not members of that board as well:

Ok, for the last month or so, the driver-side headlight plug doesn't seem to contact the bulb properly, causing the bulb to not work. What's more, it appears to be only one contact (of the 3 inside the plug) which causes the relay to think that I've engaged high beams (my high beam indicator light comes on and my Hella 500s wired to the high beam wire come on). If I wiggle the plug up (or sometimes down), the contact is made and all is well. But I think the cold outside causes the metal to retract and loose contact again. Once contact is made, the metal heats up and stays connected until the next time I let it sit in the cold a while.
    I've disconnected the Hellas to isolate the chance of them causing the problem with no change. I'm afraid that the dealer is automatically going to blame the Hellas (or the wire being tapped into) to be the cause instead of admitting it is the plug on the bulb. I haven't cut the wire. I used the special plastic piece that came with the Hellas to tap into the high beam wire (splices both wires together with the same metal inside the plastic housing).

Anyway, to make a long story short, has anyone seen the plug and/or know of a way for me to make the plug contact the metal on the bulb better so I don't have to pull up the hood and wiggle the plug to get the bulb to work every time I wish to drive? I'm considering just buying another plug and replacing the defective one, but don't know where to get one (does Nissan sell just the plug)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Your right, first time I've heard of a headlight problem, I've been in the cold for the past 2+ months and haven't experienced the problem. The only thing that comes to mind is to make sure the plug and contacts are perfectly clean, even scratching the inside of the prongs a bit for contact, and make sure the plug is really pushed on properly. ( didn't you upgrade your bulbs a lttle while ago ? ) I know the Hellas are tapped to your highbeams for power, but don't you still have an independant switch ?

As fas as backing up, except for spotting the obvious center lightpole, or watching people come up behind me, I rarely use my rearview mirror. I'm still debating fogs back there, just to see what is on the lower sides of my X.
  • Options
    23232323 Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently looking at 2001 Xterras but a guy told me a few days ago that Nissan may drop the 240hp Pathfinder in the 2002. Has anyone heard anything about this??? How do your 5-speeds do in the mountains? I live in Denver and snowboard alot so the ability to climb is a must.
    Thanks
    Trent
  • Options
    guinness247guinness247 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for the input on the rear view. I live in New Jersey and close to the PA border. Has anybody had a good experience at a dealership in this area since I'm going to start looking real soon. THANKS!
  • Options
    catmanncatmann Member Posts: 5
    I have not heard anything about the 2002 Pathfinder, but I highly doubt they will drop anything with it yet as it seems to be selling pretty well. Inside scoop on the 2002 X is that it will have a redesigned front grill, some extra ammenities inside (at least on the SE) like an outside temp gauge, etc above the rearview mirror, and there will be the supercharged option, probably the same 210 hp as the Frontier pick-up this year. All new engines in the whole line-up are in order in a few years, but I doubt it happens before the 2004 model year.
  • Options
    guiness, i live in jersey (bought in bergen county) O'Brien Nissan on Rt. 208 in Hawthorne (5 minutes off 287) could probably get you a good deal. i know its a bit of a hike but talk to Dave over there. the # is 973-427-0200, tell him Ari sent you over there. he gave me a deal on a '01 XE 3pack for $23,300. So far, after what i've been reading here, that's a pretty nice deal. good luck.

xcanuck,
    i do have it mounted vertically between the floor and seat cushion. it fits perfectly there, but is a pain everytime someone gets in the back, i have to say "WATCH MY CD CHANGER!!!" the other drawback is that i have to take the seat cushion off everytime i want to change the magazine!! oh well, certain sacrifices i have to make...
  • Options
    estevef1estevef1 Member Posts: 22
    xcellenttrk:
    Since you put in your own audio gear, do you remember if your XE factory radio had RCA outs?

I want to put in my subamp+sub, but would like to stick with the factory head-unit.

thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    loosenatloosenat Member Posts: 1
    I am debating between getting an Xterra or the Frontier Crew Cab. In the consumer review section of the Crew Cab, owners are mentioning that they have gotten up to an average of 22 miles/gallon (much more than the 15/19 listed on the sticker). I am curious as to if any of you have been surprised by increased mpg with your Xterra's. Thanks.
  • Options
    The factory radio does not have preamp outputs (as with just about every other factory radio on the market). I too have changed out my head unit, so I'm not just guessing. The only way you can connect the head unit to your amp without replacing it is either through the amp's speaker-level inputs (if applicable) or to buy a speaker-level to RCA converter. Neither will sound as nice as replacing the head unit with an after market CD Player as the quality of circuitry in the factory head unit isn't in the same league as most after market head units.

Good Luck
  • Options
    You sure do have a good memory. You're right, I did upgrade the bulbs to Xenon a couple months ago. I speculated that the contact problem could be due to an incorrect fit with the after market bulbs, but the bulbs seem to fit the plug perfectly and if it was a problem with an incorrect fit, then both bulbs should be acting up. I've tried reseating the bulb in the plug several times with no success. In fact, a couple times, the bulb didn't turn on even when I plugged it in tightly and turn it on before mounting it back into the headlight socket. I'll have to give scratching the contacts a try when I get a chance.

As for the Hellas, I did wire it to the high beam wire, but opted not to use the ugly, green lighted switch that came with the lights. For right now, I'm using the lights switch-free until I can find a switch that won't stand out in my cabin.

This problem is a real pain in the neck, especially when it's freezing cold outside. :-(
  • Options
    i finally got the balls to spend the bucks and ordered my EC Mirror w/ temp and compass!!! I also had to order another Xterra hat b/c my fiancee stole mine!!! xterraparts.com must like me, just spent $250!! also ordered the carpeted cargo mat. does anyone feel any difference w/ the K&N filter?? i'm getting one from a friend who owns a garage for $50.00 and i wanna know if you guys think it makes a difference.
  • Options
    gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Tell your friend you can buy K&N filters on E-bay for $31.00
    I too, am curious if they make any difference.
    There's a K&N topic here on Edmunds- the consensus seems to be save your $50
    (or $31, pal)
  • Options
    Its my belief that your spending your money wisely if you install K&N filters in your vehicles. I would however shop around and make sure that you get the best deal purchase wise on them. For many places K&N are special orders, and special order tends to mean you will be charged more.
  • Options
    silver2001silver2001 Member Posts: 2
    cassiusatl:

It looks like you did get your X for about $100 over invoice. Just bought one a week ago: XE, tri pack with body side molding, V6, automatic, 4x2. I took in a certificate where I could purchase it at about invoice, but the dealership would not honor it because of the Xterra's popularity. Instead, they offered to show me the invoice and added 3% to it. The invoice looked like this: $21,279 plus $520 destination charge, plus $300 marketing assessment (ouch), plus $27 warranty supplemental cost recovery for a total invoice of $22,126. Of course, this is assuming they showed me the real thing. Hope this is helpful.

So far so good, only problem is that the service engine soon indicator lit up while I was driving on the freeway today and stayed on.
  • Options
    bobo29bobo29 Member Posts: 1
    I live in NJ and unfortuntly due to the untimely death of my Ford i need to lease an Xterra fast. Can someone give me an idea of a good payment on a X?? for 36 months with, whatever down. all information would be extremly helpful
  • Options
    I get an average of 21.5 mpg in my '00 X 5sp 3pk but I seem to be the exception (on the high side). I have 10,000 miles on it now but mileage has been consistent from day one. I don't do much city driving and keep my speed under 60mph.

There is also a 5sp '01 Crew Cab in my household. It's still being broken in (1,600 miles), and mileage is probably a bit lower now because of the cold weather, but it's getting about 20-21 mpg also.

Both trucks run with stock tires at 30 psi and I'm sure the higher pressure helps too.
  • Options
    I guess the city driving as well as speed makes a difference.. my highest tank has been 18 or 19, trying real hard to keep it below 60.

2xterras: quick test, have you tried switching bulbs.. driver to passenger, if the problem reverses, at least you know you are dealing with a faulty bulb and not the plug.

Radio Shack has a few nifty switches, one that is oval, can get them lite, and they fit the contour look of the X. The advantage is they have a toggle base.. in other words, you get a nice sized switch, but only a simple hole to drill in.
  • Options
    Good thinking, but already tried switching the bulb with another (I bought 2 sets of the Xenons so I wouldn't have to hunt for one if one of them burnt out). Both bulbs are exhibiting the same intermittent connection with that one plug.

Thanks for the switch ideas. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll head over to Radio Shack and check out their switch selection. Hopefully I can miraculously fix the connection problem this weekend. I plan on devoting my entire Saturday to getting this problem fixed. Let you know if I find anything worth while...
  • Options
    xruggerxrugger Member Posts: 3
    I don't know if this has be brought up on here (couldn't find it in a search) so I thought I would pass it on.

Apperantly there are scrapes on the underside of the body from transporting Xterras from the factory to the dealership on most Xterras. In most cases the scrapes go right through to bare metel and there is a rusting issue. The paint scrapes are locaed on the underbody one behind each rear wheel. If you look from under the bumper look up towards the front of the truck. and you will see the scrapes.

There is some more info at:
    http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000508.html
    there are a couple message strings but this is the most recent.

Xrugger
  • Options
    mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Now that I've had my X for a couple weeks, I've found only one small problem: my fuel indicator needle will not move up past the 3/4 mark, even when the tank is full. I can't remember hearing anyone else mention something like this... but does anyone have a simple fix I might try? I don't plan to take it in to the dealer for just this problem - I'll wait until my first oil change and have them fix it then, unless I fix it first. Once the fuel gets down to the level where the needle is, it moves appropriately the rest of the way. Any ideas?

Mindie
  • Options
    Read about the incorrect level a few times.. if it doesn't bug you and you can wait, some of them have fixed themselves after a few tanks, I'm guess something is stuck somewhere and has to be broken loose?? If its still acting up, then have the dealer check the sending unit when you go in for the oil change. I don't know the range of a full tank in miles, ( someone else will post ) but you can judge your tank using the trip od. till then
  • Options
    Buyer beware!!! I often listen to Clark Howard he does consumer stuff, I find he's got a lot of good info on stuff so I am sharing his words of wisdom. I hope this helps.
    Clark's Cliff Notes
    Cars: CAR LEASING
    • Excerpts from Clark's Show:Car Leasing Notes
    Book Notes:
    • It's harder to compare prices on a lease, and the financing costs built into a lease are very high.
    • Leasing may seem cheaper than buying, but you're mortgaging your future when you lease. After four years of leasing a vehicle and making payments, you own nothing.
    • Manufacturers and dealers like to use upfront fees to create ultra-low monthly payments that mask the actual cost of a lease.
    • Most leases allow you to drive an average of 15,000 miles per year. If you exceed the limit, you have to pay a penalty of 8 to 15 cents per mile.
    • A five-year lease is a recipe for disaster. Many customers end up married to a vehicle they hate or end up paying severe early termination penalties.
    • If you lease for five years and your car is totaled in an accident, you could be responsible for a giant gap between the amount the insurance company will pay and the stated residual in the lease.
  • Options
    bobo,
    i got lucky on my first lease, but got absolutely HAMMERED on my last lease!!! i had a '99 VW Passat, and in 18 months, put on 38,000 miles!!!! i was paying $400.00 a month for it, and had to get out of the lease!! that's why i'm paying out the wazoo for my X. they gave me $17,000 for my car, and the payoff was $22,000, so i had to finance an extra $5,000 on my X!!! i'm absolutely too embarrassed to tell you guys what i'm paying for it!! if you don't drive too much, and can't afford a nice down payment, then leasing might be for you, all i'm saying is that it's not for everyone.
    by the way, where in NJ are you?? if you get an X, we gotta get em dirty together!!
  • Options
    shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    I've had my 2000 X for about 2 months now. It's an automatic and sometimes when you are at a stop with the tranny in Drive, a slight vibration occurs. The RPM's drop a little and then it vibrates. I was curious if anyone else may have experienced this.

Thanks
  • Options
    xruggerxrugger Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know where I can find a R/C Xterra in the Chicago area? I can't find on anywhere. :(
  • Options
    I finally had time to take apart the plug and take a close look. Xcanuk, you were correct in stating that the contact probably just required a few scraches (partly, anyway). After disassembling the plug/bulb, I found that the low beam connector in the plug was too wide for the contact on the bulb and would therefore move, causing the connection to fail. What's more, the plug appeared to be defective where the one connector in the plug seemed to be loose. This caused the hot metal of the connector to come in contact with the plastic surround and melt it completely on one side. The other two contacts still have their plastic surround in place, so there isn't a big chance of a fire from the two contacts touching. The "burn" also left a bit of residue on the bulb's contact, decreasing the connection.

I bent the connector on the plug inward a little to ensure a snug fit and I'm hoping the bulb remains in contact with the plug. I definitely need to replace the plug though as I fear this defective one has a chance of fire.
  • Options
    silver2001silver2001 Member Posts: 2
    Update on #323

Turns out the Service Engine Soon light turned on because my gas cap wasn't screwed on right sending air into the system and the computer sensed that. The service dept. reset the settings: told me the first time is free & after that it's $57 and some cents (maybe disconnecting the battery will do the trick). Did a search on the board for Gas Cap and found more info under Maintenance & Repair.
  • Options
    A number of people have posted about this problem. You should visit the www.xterraownersclub.com board if you haven't already. That board has a good search feature. If I remember correctly, there have been various solutions from replacing the sender unit as xcanuk mentioned to the entire gas tank. Unfortunately, it's not something you can fix yourself.
  • Options
    good to hear you found the semi solution, I'm pretty sure the fuse would blow before the contacts caused a fire.. that is why they are there. That is the one catch to most of the new connections now, they have to be done straight on and slow.. the same goes to those micro fuses they use now.
  • Options
    haldudehaldude Member Posts: 18
    G'day, mates. I had the 3/4 but full problem myself. Dealer diagnosed it as 'wires rubbing against the fuel pump sending unit arm.' The solution was to tie wrap some wires together to something else.

I think the people in Smyrna should send a pack of twist ties with each X, along with a little cheat sheet showing where to use them. Like the cruise control cables, etc. Ha ha. Anyway, hope this helps Mindie and all the others out there!
  • Options
    vwandxmanvwandxman Member Posts: 2
    Hi all just wanted to let everybody know the good deal I got on my X. I got a 2001 xe 3 pack with auto trans for $21900. These deals are out there if you know how to get them.
  • Options
    guinness247guinness247 Member Posts: 7
    Bobo,
    I just wanted to let you know I leased my last vehicle and all of my family leases and none of us ever had any probs. If you are a person that does not put much milege on a vehicle and takes good care of it you shouldn't have any probs. I plan to lease my X because I like to keep my payments low and get a new vechicle every few years. I also live in NJ so if you get a good deal let me know.
  • Options
    mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Just wanted to thank xcanuk, silverxglider, and haldude for their feedback!

Mindie
  • Options
    wellesleygateswellesleygates Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2001 Xterra as a potential new car for me (XE Auto with Power & Utility). After reading everyone's posts, I know to look for scratches on the underbelly, the fuel gauge giving incorrect readings, and the tires being inflated well over recommended PSI. Could any one who has a 2001 XE with Power/Utility please respond with their general happiness/unhappiness with their Xterra? Edmunds talks about a "weak V6" and "cheap & plastic interior". Comments? I'm going to the LA Auto Show tomorrow to check out Xterras and others, but I would like some consumer, not dealer or researcher, opinion and experience. (Also, the Nissan website posted interior photos and I was wondering if the shown fabric was an XE, SE, or the waterproof seat covers... it has what appears to be black v-shaped lines that run the length of the seats.)

Thanks a lot!

W.
  • Options
    shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I have a 2000 SE with 30,000 miles....V6 is adequate....I have no problems getting on the highway......the interior is nothing fancy.....If you want toys go somewehere else....this is almost basic transportation with 4x4 capabilities....the truck on the Nissan website is an SE....Good luck, Mike
  • Options
    I think this came up once before, or somewhere else. Once a truck is no longer new, most reviewers seem to think a truck should be a car, and comment as such... step in too high,.. drives to rough.. etc... The X is.. well an X. Basic, but can be dressed up and added to to suit anyone that needs the space. Problems on this board seem to crop up for 20 posts or so, but it is usaully only one or two that have the hiccup, the rest shoot out quick fixes if any.
    I'm still happy one year later, and I'm still changing it around to my liking..which is half the fun, ...give one a good test drive and let the X convince you.
  • Options
    Hi there, W. Before buying the X, I did quite a bit of analysis. Considered most everything from the RAV4 thru the BMW X5, etc. For me, the conclusion was that when asked to fill the SUV role, the X offered the best value coupled with high overall satisfaction from users.

With that said, here is where I'm at... Took delivery around Thanksgiving on a 2001 XE with all three packages. 3000 miles later my only beefs are that the driver's seat is not compatable with me. (Lacks comfort, adjustments, and just seems to be designed wierd.) But that is a personal issue that doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. Secondly, I think the fuel economy should be a lot better considering the weight of the vehicle and only about 165 horses.. Just the same, the power is adequate and the manual transmission is VERY smooth.

Would I do it again? Probably 50/50 chance. But my situation, just like everyone else's, is unique.

Good luck on your decision, W.
  • Options
    cletusecletuse Member Posts: 14
    I too did a lot of comparison shopping before purchasing my X. Price was not a big obstacle, but with my other car being more luxury-oriented ( a MB), I wanted a fun, no-frills SUV. It may sound silly, but it's just like the ad - "everything you need, nothing you don't". Or something like that. I put 27K on my 2000 XE S/U/P before trading it in on a 2001 XE S/U/P 4WD a month ago. So yeah, I did do it again. Also, I used my X for a lot of business roadies and found it VERY comfortable.

Rock on,

Rob in Santa Fe
  • Options
    I have had a '00 XE 5sp since May 2000. I am completely happy with it. It's not a rocket but it has more than enough power for cruising and passing. (I came from a 4cyl. '88 Isuzu Trooper so the X seems plenty fast to me.) It's also very torquey for slow speed off-road driving. People have complained about gas mileage but I'm getting an average of 21.5 mpg which is more than I expected. AS far as the interior goes, its perfectly functional and easy to keep neat and clean. If you're looking for wood trim and leather (and you have another $5,000-$10,000 to spend) you won't find it here but that's a matter of taste. I think the X gives you the most bang for the buck.
  • Options
    Way to go, Idaho!! Great mileage! Is this an equal mix of highway and city? Do you always stay under say 50 mph? Are you augmenting the powerplant with solar panels or sails? Running on steel wheels? Is your odomoter accurate?

In all seriousness, how do you account for this? I've heard about an aftermarket air filter, but doubt it would add THAT much to the mileage situation.

What's the trick?

Slurping around Sacramento (at 17.5 mpg)
  • Options
    rubinatorrubinator Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I have enjoyed reading all the posts recently...so much so that I just bought a 2001 SE Silver Ice beauty today! I am totally enjoying it, as it the Pooch, but I wanted to get some tips on where to find an after dealer dog-gate. I think I have seen a post somewhere in the stack, but can't find it now. I checked the Xterraparts.com site to no avail. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Michael
  • Options
    http://www.xterraparts.com/onlinestore/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Xterra&Product_Code=999M1-KL005&Category_Code=Cargo

Sometimes long links don't work.. xterraparts > interior > cargo

Nissan Pet divider is more or less fixed in place, just something to consider if you use all your cargo space.

Dogs love Trucks, welcome aboard
  • Options
    mtbeechermtbeecher Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 SE 4WD Auto within the last month. I too am having a vibration, sputtering, choppy idle type problem when the vehicle is in N or D. The problem has gotten progressively worse marked by greater frequency, bigger drops in rpms and stalling. Very frustrating. I took it back to the dealer today ... I will let you know how I make out.

Matt