Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• climber2climber2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new X with 2000 miles. I know until it is warmed up there is white smoke, but after 400 miles on the highway it is still smoking when I come to a stop at a red light. It does not matter what the outside temperature is.

I have not done the first oil change.

Any thoughts...Concerned
  • haldudehaldude Member Posts: 18
    You didn't put Vodka in your gas tank did ya, climber2?
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    I shouldn't be such a wise [non-permissible content removed]. I sort of remember blue smoke means burning oil, white smoke > cold condensation burn off. I don't think you meant you drove 400 miles straight with it smoking ? Does it gradually wear off or die off? What is the engine temp. when it does ? If it smokes while engine temp. is below normal and its cold and humid.. mine smokes white a little longer.
  • srushingsrushing Member Posts: 38
    Sorry about that...darn IE...

I've gotten a quote for a new X, 2001, Sprt package, power package , utility package and mats and splash grds. I am not sure if it included automatic but am asking. The quote was for $24K....is that good or can I do better?

Thanks
    4x4 or not ??? + .. automatic will add or subtract $ 1,000. ( at least ) either way.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Smoker- Did you check the coolant level?

Srushing- Not knowing if it's a 4x4 or an Automatic leaves out over $3000 of information. Kind of hard to give feedback.
  • g_man_cag_man_ca Member Posts: 4
    My new 2001 XTerra was delivered to me 2 weeks ago; SE, 4WD, V6 3.3, Black, AT....I love it! I previously had an '89 Pathfinder(193K miles/no major problems!) which I was very happy with, but couldn't afford a brand new one. I decided to stick w/Nissan and was impressed w/ the X. I was a little concerned about previous posts of a "weak engine", but I put it to the test on several long hills in my area, and it had more than enough power for me. The titanium dash and gauges look really cool; and the 6-disc CD changer and 6 speakers sound great! However, I am experiencing the gas gauge problem as I've filled up a few times already, but the needle doesn't go past 3/4 full. I'll be taking it in to the dealer soon. Thanks for the previous posts, fellow X-owners, as it helped me in my buying process. I was also looking @ GMC Jimmy and Jeep Cherokee, but I'm very happy with my purchase!

G-Man in California
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    good luck w/ your new X!! the fuel gauge has been a very commonly discussed topic recently. luckily i haven't had that problem yet, mine goes half way through the F, and miraculously goes to 1/4 in about a day or two!!! something's wrong with it!!! actually, i'm a little upset that i'm only getting in between 15 and 15 1/2 mpg. i put in the K&N air filter, no difference in gas mileage, but soon due for my first oil change, and i will put synthetic in.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Here's the new supercharged Xterra engine being tested in a honda...

• mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    I've been too lazy to take my X in to the dealer over a funky gas gauge. G man and others - I'm interested to hear what the dealer says about yours if you get in before I do. Keep us posted!

Mindie
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    White smoke: I think it depends a lot on the humidity. I have quite a bit of smoke too when I stop for a red light, even if I have just gotten off the highway after going 100 miles or so. I'm in the cold Northeast. If its damp and in the 30s or even the 40s, I see a fair amount of smoke when I stop no matter how well warmed up the engine is.

On the other hand, really billowing clouds of white smoke can mean a blown head gasket or cracked head. I do not mean to scare you by saying this because I can't imagine a new vehicle would have these problems. I know from experience, a blown gasket or cracked head gives other signs too, like marked loss of power going uphill. The smoke is really intense, you could use it as a special effect in a horror movie and hide half a dozen large monsters.

I heard or read somewhere that you can tell something about whether you're burning oil not only by the color of the smoke coming out of the tailpipe but also by putting your finger or a piece of white paper in the tailpipe (when it has cooled down, of course). If you come away with an oily, greasy mark, that may indicate burning some oil. If the mark is just smudgy and dusty, you're OK.
    Sorry guys, didnt realize I left out that much stuff...any..

It's a 2001 Xterra XE, 4x4, automatic, Sprt package, power package , utility package and mats and splash grds. Accoridng to Edmunds, a fair value would be somewhere around $24300....I've got $24,150 as the quote...does that seem like a pretty good deal?
    Thanks
    S
    I'm starting to think this gas tank affair is connected more to the 2001.. I think I've read all of maybe two 2000 owners with a faulty gauge over the past year, but there seems to be several of you with the same problem now.. are all of yours 2001 ?
    We can link pics... just testing

ok.. that didn't work.. how did you do that gonzo ?
    Hey there, xcanuk. My gas gage problem is on a 2001. If this goes back to last year, it makes you wonder why Nissan hadn't weeded the problem out yet. Perhaps they figured we'd fix it with the TTURDD kit. Zip ties, for those of you not up to speed on the posts..

On another matter, I seem to have a new rattle of my own. This is in the RR door or seat, it seems. Sound familiar to anyone? I don't think I've read about this one. Already checked for loose Vodka bottles, boxes of twisties, etc. and can't find the culprit. Anyone with an idear can chime in.

Thinking about the white smoke problem the one person was writing about... I do know that some rocket engines put out white smoke. Maybe an experimental high horsepower engine made it into a production X. In such case, that model will be called the X-15.

Outa' here.
    Hi guys,

I was thinking, given that I'm getting the upper end XE, is it worth going ahead and just getting the SE? I think it's only about $500 more than what I'm going to be paying for the XE with Sprt/Utility and power packages. I know I get the sunroof that from what I read is a waste, but is there any other REAL difference? If not, has anyone installed an aftermarket sunroof in the X?

Thanks
    s
    If it is only a matter of 500, I'd go for the SE.. there is a bigger difference between the 01 XE & SE.. ok still the useless sunroof.. you still might get to use it though.. upgraded stereo with the indash 6 pac.. ( I'd still like one of those ) then the leather, dash, and seat upgrade and a few other little bells and whistles. On a loan.. 500 doesn't increase your payments all that much.

Another back seat rattle.. check 2 areas first..
    One: The locking loop the seat back sets into.. sometimes loose, sometimes not aligned right.
    Two: look at the bottom crease behind the seat backs.. the rear cargo carpet attaches to the frame with little plastic caps.. some of them work loose and will rattle.. just snap them back.

And keep the vodka in the basket.. it tastes better when chilled.
  • catmanncatmann Member Posts: 5
    I believe that there was an issue with a rattling fuel line clip under the rear seat. Another quick fix, but you may have to remove (unbolt) the rear seat to get to it. I am sure someone will post more details - it was a fairly common discussion a while ago.
    what kind of upgrades do you get in the SE?? for all i knew was the leather steering wheel w/ radio controls, P.O.S. sunroof and stereo. also, the titanium dash is awesome looking!!!
    haldude-
    i was driving last night, and yep, i heard it for the very first time..RR seat/door. i'll check out the clips and seat hook.

by the way, i figured out what i'm getting for my personalized plates: SPOILDX
    my fiancee isn't too happy w/ it b/c i spoil my X more than her!! :) oh well...
    The fuel line rattle is under the truck, not inside under the pass. seat.. too long bracket or something.. more zip ties. Most people thought "that" rattle was coming "from" the front pass. seat.
    As far as XE vs SE.. there seems to be more of a spread between the '01 xe se, than the old '00 xe se. Geez.. I've got an old X now.
  • shaka_damanshaka_daman Member Posts: 1
    Hi All!

I'm in the market for an SUV, and the X has made my short list so now I'm soliciting personal experiences and opinions. I will tell you my qualifications of an SUV. First I only buy foreign, I've never had luck with American made vehicles. I also looking for a vehicle that can be stylish and classy enough to court my clients and potential clients (I'm a business owner), as well as be tough enough haul, tow, and go off road. My family and myself are outdoor enthusiast. Vehicles that I have considered and have decided against were the Land Rover Discovery (too many maintence problems), the Toyota 4Runner (I've owned one before, great SUV until you try to drive it in the mountains of Colorado (acceleration goes OUT the window)), Toyota Tundra ext cab pickup (the interior could be more up scale).
    Hopefully by reading this I have painted the following picture. I want a vehicle that's classy, and performs well on and off road. Price is not my major concern, however some of the other up scale SUV's didn't seem practical.
    I welcome your comments regarding your experiences with the Nissan X.
    Thanks in advance guys.

Shaka
  • g_man_cag_man_ca Member Posts: 4
    Xcellenttrk - Thanks. Yeah, the fuel gauge thing just a minor nuisance...better that than major tranny or engine problem. I was also thinking about putting synth oil after 1st oil change (is it really @7,500 miles??)

Mindie - I'll let you know what happens when I take it in....probably next week.

XCanuck - yep, I have a 2001.

SRushing - I paid $25,200 (2001 SE, 4WD, Black, AT, extras include splash guards, floormats, in-cabin microfilter, bodyside moulding). I think I did pretty well since XTerras are really popular around here, and California is notorious for outrageous markups as compared to the rest of the country. My feeling is I'd rather pay the money now to load it up, and know that there isn't anything that needs to be upgraded later (although I just found out about the auto-dim mirror w/ temp & compass LED display...gotta have it!)

G Man in CA
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    I am strongly considering buying an SE or XE XTerra. Not sure which..have some ? please?

1. is the sunroof worth it?
    2. should I get all 3 packages
    3. how bad is the gas mileage
    4. how are the tires

I have decided on the 4 wd manual 6 cyl...just not sure about SE or XE..will put windsurfing gear in and out..And why is the basket on top of the sun roof? Annie
    in cabin microfilter and auto dim elec. mirror???

Do I want splash guards adn why don't they come with MATS..geeze..Annie
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    dadli - I have an '00 XE 5sp with all 3 option packages and am very happy with it. Personally, the sunroof did not interest me, particularly since it does not open all the way and you have to remove the roof basket to use it. That's a matter of preference but if you're carrying stuff on the roof you may not use it much either. As to the option packages, depends on where you live, how you're going to use the and how much convenience you want. Can you live without the power package? Do you want to? The sport package has a limited slip diff. Will that be useful to you? Opinions vary on how helpful it is but I'm glad I have it. Mileage is as per the window sticker for most people 16/19 or something like that depending on whether auto or manual. Don't know what tires are now stock on the '01s. The '00s had BFG Long Trails mostly I think. Very nice on highway, less useful off road, inadequate in snow.

shaka daman - If price is not your major concern, have you considered a Pathfinder? Only because it may be more "luxurious" for clients.
    xcanuk - Yes, mine is a 2001 with the gas gauge problem. You'd think they wouldn't add problems to newer models! :o)

srushing - I would personally go for the SE (which is exactly what I did). As most everyone else has already pointed out, the different seat pattern, the sunroof, 6 disc changer, titanium dash accents, and steering wheel radio controls are added in with the SE. I love the titanium, the disc changer, and the stereo controls.

Sunroof or not - It really seems like a personal preference. The first time I washed my X, I took the basket off so I could use the sunroof. I won't use the basket that often anyway. Even though the sunroof is horizontally challeneged (since it only pops up), it's still a nice way to get some cool air flow inside. And without the basket attached, I like having the extra light coming in from above.

dadli/Annie - According to my salesman, the in-cabin micro filter was just to help filter out smelly outside air. I'm not sure if there's really much difference, but it's not that expensive either. The auto dimming rearview mirror does just what it says - dims on its own when there are bright headlights behind you. Some also have compass and temperature readings. I don't have this on my X, but my husband has it on his Jetta, and it's quite a nifty little feature if you don't mind spending the bucks. The splashguards are good at keeping junk from the road (or off-road) off of your paint. I think they're worth it. As far as mileage goes, I calculated mine for the first time today: 270 miles on 17.152 gallons = 15.74 mpg. That's a whole lot of stop and go city driving though. I'm driving up to Michigan this weekend, so I'll be able to update later with some highway mileage.

shaka - I'm with silverxglider - look at the Pathfinder too. Not to knock the X, but the PF might be more what you're after. Some people will argue that the X isn't too great at accelerating up hills (a la 4Runner); I might not be too far behind them. I had to push my X kinda hard to make it up some of the West Virginia mountains I was up in a couple weeks ago.

Mindie
    Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry about the rattling seat noise. It will definitely give me something to go on. As a side note, right after taking delivery I was annoyed by a similiar rattle from the RF seat. However, this I diagnosed to be the seat belt clip assembly coming into contact with the door. Solved that by ( no, not zip ties ), draping the belt over the headrest when not in use.

My comment on the options, XE vs SE is this; Only reason to get the SE vs a fully loaded XE is if you have to have the sun roof and titanium dash. Aside from that, I think the XE with all packages is a better deal. Only gripe I have is the way they make you by one package to get what's in the next, and so on. And they make it prohibitively uneconomical to say buy the alloy wheels by themselves. Oh well, that's my two cents worth. I still think these things are a good value if you want a basic SUV.

One last thing.. I hope no one out there is putting up with this funky gage problem that shows 3/4 when the tank is full. This is definitely a warranty item and it's quite easy to fix. I wrote about this a while back, but anyone that wants a refresh on my experience, just ask. I'd be happy to tell it again.

Thanks again,
    anyway, yeah, i've been told 7500 miles...i'm at 6700 now, eagerly awaiting my first oil change. as to the options...i wish i bought the SE only b/c i want the titanium accents and all...the seats don't bother me, the sunroof is useless, i put in a new stereo anyway, so i don't need the in dash changer or steering wheel controls. maybe when i get my oil changed, i will get better gas mileage. i constantly get 15mpg, and that's w/ almost 90% highway driving (cruising around 75mph.) i guess 32-3300rpms for 15 miles straight doesn't help mileage..oh well. every once in a long while, i put in Sunoco 94 to [non-permissible content removed] out my engine, but i don't think it does anything...getting back to SE vs XE, i bought an XE w/ 3pack and the only thing i do wish i had was the titanium.
    Mindie- i got the EC Mirror, and it is pretty cool...i had a VW too, and it had the funky computer in it w/ the outside temp, but no compass. the temp was the ONE thing i miss about my Passat (besides the Tiptronic tranny, now i HAVE to shift all the time...) i got it from xterraparts.com, paid $179.00 or so, paid $50 to install it.
    i have General Grabber AW tires on my '01 XE, just thought i'd let you guys know...
    As far as this whole debate between XE 3 pak and SE.. don't forget it all started with ?? ( sorry, I'm not scanning back ) a $ 500. difference. I don't know what the normal difference is. But it sounds pretty good for the xtras

Excellenttrk.. I'd would have done my first oil change by now.. OK.. I'm a canuk and everything is metric now.. but I average 6000 kil between oil changes and I did the first one at 4, just to get rid of the factory production junk.

$220.00 for exterior/interior temperature ?? I just spent $15.00, hooked one up in front of the switches of the map lights, and took me 20 minutes to install. OK.. no compass, but I never know or care where I'm going anyway.

MPG is really linked to cruising speed.. 60 max seems to be the sweet spot.. ( but I can't do it either ) I just installed a K&N filter.. but I also disconnected my battery ( to do some other wiring ) which reset my trip od.. so I don't know if my mpg will increase any just yet..next few tanks will tell, but there seems to be a little extra spunk to the X.
    here's a stupid question that's really been bothering me for a while. i have a 2001 XE 3pack. when i was shopping around at different dealers, one guy told me that on of the only changes between '00 and '01 was the color of the guages in the dash. i know one has the silverish color and one the black. i have the black in mine...i hope i got the right one...
    Speed is the key to this mileage thing. If you are doing 75mph, your drag is 2.25 times what it is at 50mph. I went in to this before, but it's a big deal. When they try to make airplanes go faster, the first thing they look at is cleaning up the airframe, because that's a lot better than just throwing more power into the thing. Point is, if you have a high drag vehicle like these X's are, you have major aerodynamic drag going on.

Okay, I guess I'm dense, but I have to ask now. What is ' canuk '? Is it Canadian/UK or something? I don't get it and my curiosity is up now...
    Annie here, the windsurf chic who wants an X terra...Has anyone taken the vehicle on the beach yet and are the factory wheels satisfactory? When I buy the SE I do not think I will have an extra penny for ANYTHING..Also I am going to offer 25 K for the SE (With dest. fees of 520.00 and 5% MA taxes) inlcuded or 28.500 for the XE..ya think this is fair? They told me the Kelly and Carpoint Base price was not correct..I wonder why??

Any tips I would LOVE...

I think everyone is agreeing the SE is the way to go? Do I need all 3 packages? Also who USES the sunroof? I want to!!

Annie
    Annie,

As far as pricing goes, I'm not sure where you are but here in NC, there is a Credit union autbuyers service that many of the credit unions do. they deal with the negotiating with the dealer and thus far, excluding tax and tag I can get the XE w/ 3Pack plus mats and splash guards (auto as well) for $24.1K. I've found the car on the dealers web site and based on the discount she's getting (about $2k) I could get a SE w/ mats, splash guards,and microfilter (I haven't looked but was is that???) for a little under $25K...there maybe something like that where you are and at this one you do NOT have to be a member of the CU and I'm not.

S
    FYI, I just called the Nissan dealr in the next town and told them what I think I can get the SE w/ splash guards, mats and microfilter for and while they would not meet that, they were willing to sell it for me at invoice, $24,999. Not bad.

Doesn't the SE also have 16" wheels? Thats an upgrade from the XE which has 15".

S
    the SE does have 16" tires. i think they also have a different style wheel than the 15" tires on the XE. I think they both look great. that's another thing i wish i could've gotten in my XE. oh well, when they come out w/ the supercharged V6 in 2003 or so, i'll get the SE for my fiancee (will be wife in Oct.) and i'll drive it. let her drive my '01 XE.. it's good to be the king. ;)
    Just go here http://www.nissandriven.com/frameset_xuv.html
    differences.. the SE has ( over the XE )2001
    leather, better radio, CD 6, better seat fabric, 16" wheels, sunroof, [non-permissible content removed] dash ( and I think it also has the body side molding ).

for 2000 models, the only difference was the radio, fabric, leather, and molding.

Haldude.. name came from a series of goofs, when I first tried Canuck..Slang for Canadian.. it was taken.. dropped the c added the x and there we go. I'm also known as a Canadidian.. but you would have had to be here a year ago to understand the joke.

Dadli: we used to have two members that were water active.. Beachnx was on the beach all the time and really put the basket to use, then we had our Racking Queen Anneyeo.. but I don't think she drove on the beach. The X handles everything anyway.
    xcellenttrk - The titanium (silver) dash accents are on the 2001 SEs. They have not appeared on any other models, 2000 or 2001. That must be what the person had meant to say.

srushing - Yes, the SE does have a wheel size increase, but I think that you also get lower profile tires which some people thought was a downside instead of a plus.

As far as pricing goes, my 2001 SE 4x4 automatic with mats, splash guards, and microfilter had a sticker price of $26,800 or so. We got a discount through my husband's company, so after taxes, title, license, and everything else that you have to pay at the offset, our total loan (not through Nissan) amount was $26,100. We put nothing down and did not trade in my old car. Taking out the taxes and such, we actually paid the dealer less for the truck than they paid Nissan to get it (we saw the actual dealer invoice as part of the discount calculation). I just thought I'd share that for everyone making comparisons.

Mindie
    xcellenttrk: "the SE does have 16" tires" :o) I get a kick out of this because I used to say the same kind of thing. My husband got so annoyed by my interchanging of tire/wheel/rim/etc.

Mindie

P.S. I hate that the "Let me know if a response slips in before mine" option is gone... I look like a dumb-butt when I repeat what someone else just said.
  • jurp11jurp11 Member Posts: 8
    I was thinken of buying a Nissan X, but I wasnt aware if I could find one in my price range. I want to buy pay for it in cash with 14,000. Is it possible to find a used one in that price range. Im not very good on the computer and not well at looking for website someone please help me out. If you could lost some web-sites I could visit to get a price range. Thank you for your time!
    If you find a used X at 14G.. it will be from someone wearing a mask and has to get out of town fast. The cheapest used X I've seen is still around $20,000. Unless someone is trying to get rid of a 2000, XE 4x2 manual 4 cyl base model.. but I haven't even heard of anyone driving such a model. Good Luck
  • soccermom11soccermom11 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Hawaii and mark up for cars are ridiculous. I got a quote from a dealer for a 2001 Xterra, V-6, auto tarns, (utility, power,
    and sport package)pricing is worked out at 5% over Dealer Invoice. $22,524 @ 5% over Invoice
    $195 Doc Fee, 4.166% Sales Tax, $175 pic Fee, $23,841 Total Cost. For a manual tarns V-6 without the power package the price will come out at $19704 plus fees. That will work out to about
    $20800 total. If you went to a 4 cyl. the price will be about $1000 less. How does that compare to others?
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    Is anyone else having a problem posting on XOC? I keep getting Internal Server Errors when trying to post. I guess everyone must be since no posts have been made this morning.

Xcanuk: I may be wrong, but isn't the leather not a XE/SE thing? I thought it was only offered by dealers trying to get a greater profit margin or if the buyer wanted to add the Xtreme (or comparable) leather package. On another topic, I've been looking at several alarm systems to upgrade the X's alarm. I am looking for a system that will upgrade, not replace, the current system. If I'm not mistaken, didn't you mention a while back that the Viper alarm system you bought works in conjuction with the X's alarm or did it replace it? Also, do you remember the model number of your alarm? Thanks for your help.
    Just walked in, haven't been over to XOC, but it was down since 5 pm yest.

I've been here a little too long, the leather difference is the trim on the steering wheel, not the seats..Sorry, getting into the habit of leaving out the little details.

Yes, I added a Viper Phython Alarm, I'll have to go through my paperwork for the model #. It works "with" the X alarm, so I guess I have both alarms going. I can turn on one or the other ( if I carried both remotes ),.. the viper remote does work both though, so I only have to carry one. The one advantage I found to this add on alarm, if the remote battery dies on me for some reason, I can still lock the doors with the key and the X alarm will take over. I also added a few modules to it, where I can open, close, or vent the windows with the remote.. and it closes up the X completely.. shut windows and locks it up when armed. If you have an A.T., you can even hook a remote starter to the same remote as well.
    xcanuk,
    you can get a remote starter w/ a stick too. the guy who put mine in just overrided the clutch. the only thing is, i can't use it when i'm parked on a hill, hence i'm in gear..that would hurt... but he did put it in mine...
    They do make manual specific starters..there is a trigger process before leaving the vehicle to make sure its in neutral. ( Viper doesn't have it the last time I checked ). I know a few who converted a.t. starters to manual.. and most of them have dents in their hoods because they forgot they left it in gear and the car lurched forward. My habit for leaving my X in 1st or reverse is too far gone for me to change.

As long as my wife doesn't know the manual starters exist, I get to park my X in the garage when its cold, and she parks hers out.. I'm a little smarter than I look... er.. write.
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    Annie,
    I live out here near the beach and I am on it all the time , whether it be winter or summer. The X is adequate on the beach. I haven't been on the beach in the summer months yet when the sand is much softer and churned up by much more traffic. The usual thing to do is to let out some air pressure in your tires for a wider tread on the sand. I've been on the beach since December when I bought my X where the sand is not as soft and it handled fine but I have a feeling I may have to let some air out of the tires this summer for a better ride. I'm positive the X will handle the beach with no problems. So join the club and " Surf's up"!
    My prob. is my hobby/sport: I windsurf and need a vehicle to accommodate gear and get me to and from the beaches (a few miles from home) . Will be driving locally mostly and some beach driving. Also once a year to Hatteras (12 hour drive). I am a single Mom with a child (8).
    I think owning vs leasing is for me. I also love the yellow but think re sale and in time it will wear..Blue? nice..also, I think the SE is the way to go..

So, just wanted to share and vent..not much..Annie
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    Talked to a Nissan Rep at the Baltimore Auto Show today and he said that the X is getting a redesign this Spring to make its nose look like the Frontier. In addition there is a supercharged 220HP engine that will now be available.