Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    Can you go through auto car washes with the racks? Does ANYONE have experience using the gear basket above the sun roof? Why did they design it like that? Do you love your sunroof? Any short owners who have probs using the racks..Angie
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Dang, you read a lot, and you got wit.. welcome aboard. Although you “can” offroad in Florida, ( I guess there are some rough Walmart parking lots there ) I think you can live with the 4x2.. and since the most popular choice is still to go 3 pak, you’ll end up with the LSD, so that solves that part.. The X has the right amount of torque to handle you boat situation. The 4x4 give you an advantage in extremes.. snow, off roading etc but it doesn’t sound like you will be facing these challenges.
    I’ve driven 4x4’s for a long while as well, and except for normal maintenance, I don’t think I had extra bills because it was a 4x4, but if you don’t need it.. its not any less an X.
    I don’t know if an R/C will pull a R/C boat.. but it will pull a dog water bowl 20 feet.. or until the dog really gets fed up of it.

Mindie.. please don’t use yuppie-mobile and X in the same sentence.. that word is reserved for 4runners, Durangos and Blazers
    what the hell happened to that post ?? looks like I was swearing all the way through it...
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    Its safe to go through most car washes but I have found that they dont get my X clean....all the ins and outs combined with the racks keep the car wash from getting into all the nooks....Its a good place to start but you will probably have to do a good amount of hand work......Mike
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    About that post - did you compose it somewhere else, then paste it into the post box? I've seen reports that composing a message in Word, then pasting it here gives that result.

Using a simple text editor like Notepad instead of something like Word doesn't cause the issue. Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board
    Dank U.. that was the case.. funny the inserts only happened after posting and not pasting.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    FWIW, you do have some time to edit the message after it's been posted - for about 30 minutes you will see an Edit button at the end of the title line. That would have given you an opportunity to take that stuff out (looks like it was codes for apostrophes), but what a pain!

Try Notepad.

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board
    By the time I came back, my 30 minutes were up, D'oh... That is what I get for posting off line, double D'oh !!
    Nice to know the god's here are still reading our triple d'oh's posts.
  • greg111greg111 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 X with General Grabber tires. P26570r15. I cant find chains that will fit. I've been told several times that that tire size is new. Anyone else having the same problem?
  • srushingsrushing Member Posts: 38
    Well, a day after taking delivery of my 01 SE Xterra, we put it on the road and headed to the coast...I didn't get it off road but it handled the trip well. My only problem is that my X LIKES to cruise about 75....so my gas milage was not as good as it could have been...it was a little over 16 mpg. Other than some seat cushions, I think I'm set...
    S
  • chrisedgechrisedge Member Posts: 2
    At the Dealer? or did you do it after the fact? I want leather but would rather not go through the dealer, but my wife wants it done asap. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Oh, don't think that I let them get away with the yuppie-mobile name calling. I think I had more fun making fun of the wiring on the Jeep - tail lights kept going on and off, sometimes wouldn't light with the brakes, turn signal made all 3 back lights blink at different rates... it was quite amusing.

Mindie
    I don't recall many of us adding leather to our Xs. The dealers generally use an outside shop to install the leather seats, so you might be better off finding a shop on your own instead of paying the dealer as a middle-man. Someone else might have more insight though - I never even considered putting leather in my X.

Mindie
  • mikado462mikado462 Member Posts: 10
    I found a dealer (after hours) with some X's on the lot ... one of which was unlocked.

To make a long story short ... I fit! which was a concern of mine seeing as I'm 6'4" and 325lbs -- really limits the kinds of cars I can comfortably ride in let alone drive.

Now for some all important questions ...

1.) I would like a base 4WD and because the wife needs to be able to drive it, it should have Automatic Tranny, in addition, I'd like to have A/C and tow hitch. Are there any packages which include these items or packages you owners out there would call "Must Haves"?

2.) Can driver's side seat rails be lengthened for even more leg room?

3.) I have NEVER owned a vehicle other than from the domestic big 3. With that said, what is the durability of the Nissan's and the Xterra's specifically ... what ever I buy I want it to last a long time. Will these puppies last with minimal maintenance? What are your experiences?

4.) XTERRA OWNERS ONLY! ... What is your opinion of this vehicle? Would you buy it again?

5.) Lastly, if the dealer doesn't have what I want on the lot, have any of you been able to order the vehicle and not end up paying retail? Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thank You for your assistance.

Tim James
    Uniontown, Ohio
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    there's a string on the xterraownersclub.com site that was just discussing special orders. nissan doesn't want to hear about it...besides that, i've heard a few people say they have extended the seat rails.
    in so far as the must have's, go w/ the XE b/c the SE has too many "don't really needs" as i see. basically, the power and utility packages are your basic minimum buy, but when i was purchasing my X, back in Oct. 2000, the dealer couldn't find an XE w/ power/utility for the life of him (with a manual tranny) there might be some out there w/ autos, i don't know. the sport package gives you fog lights, LSD (limited slip diff) if you're going off road, and a few other goodies. but not ALL of them are MUST HAVE'S...
    if i were to run my X to the ground (which seems to be REALLY hard to do...) i'd without a question get another one. as a matter of fact, when my fiancee's (will be wife at the time) Accord is paid off, she wants to get a 2002/03 Xterra, they're adding on the supercharged engine (heresay???) so i'll drive the new one, and she'll get my '01!!! in shorter terms, I LOVE MY X!!!
  • ksm2ksm2 Member Posts: 1
    I called five dealers in my area and was basically told the same thing by all but one. Nissan doesn't like special orders and you can't find the XE4x4 with anything less than the 3-pac auto or manual. Don't know what the one who disagreed was all about. I got such a good deal on an auto XE 4x4 power/sport/utility that I didn't follow-up with him. Traded in an Avalon so this takes some getting used to, but I already like it more than the Toyota.
  • trippdoggtrippdogg Member Posts: 19
    I'm not new to Edmund's, but new to this topic. The time has come where marriage and kids no longer make having a convertible sports car practical. I really like the Xterras and have heard some good things about them

Anyone give me any advice on what they think of thiers, any options you feel you should have or havent gotten?

I am looking for the 6 cyl. 4wd. I belive it's the SE or the sportier edition . I've been told that I should be able to get a decently loaded one for under 25,000. I want a manual, would like the power windos and locks, doesn;t matter about leather. Does the radio have an in dash CD or doI have to order the changer in order to get a CD pplayer in the vehicle?
    ANy advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I think you will get quite a few positive reviews here.. Its a good little "truck"
    If you are looking at the SE's, you get all the bells and whistles.. no leather. Good storage space, get the neoprean seat covers and you X is kid proof. Although I don't have kids, enough of them travel with me, and the higher rear seats makes it a treat for them.
    Stroll over to the Nissan Site and you'll see the long list of equipement you do get.. if you don't need/want the sunroof, go with an XE 3 pak.
  • jkrammjkramm Member Posts: 3
    i'm in the market for a new suv. i'm almost certain on the X. does anyone have the mineral blue color? also is it difficult to remove the basket to use the sunroof? thanks
    as difficult as undoing 4 thumb screws and lifting.. just remember to put the screws back in to keep them sealed
  • tibertiber Member Posts: 3
    Thanks silverxglider and xcanuk for the thoughts on 4wd for pulling a boat out of the water. I had hoped by now maybe gonzo7 would weigh in on the issue but it looks like conversation is changing rapidly.
    btw, I'm confused about the special order. I can't find a solar yellow SE around town and think I would probably have to order one. Are you saying that's not likely? Maybe what I want is not so special an order.
    I'm going in the opposite direction of trippdogg: wife will soon be an ex, so it will take a few months to afford the X. Waiting for a few months for it to get here would be ok by me.
  • cletusecletuse Member Posts: 14
    As far as "Must have's" on the X - get all three packages: Sport, Utility,and Power. As mentioned earlier it will probably be difficult to find one with anything less. I also added body side molding and seat covers to my original ('00) X simply 'cause I thought they looked good (and were functional). On my second ('01) I got the molding, mud flaps and tow pkg simply 'cause they were on the one I wanted (solar yellow). So to address another of your points, yes, I'd buy another one.

And yes, it should last a long, long time - given the japanese reputation. Just to be on the safe side I bought a 6/100k warranty from Marlboro Nissan (on the net) for $750 or so - financed for 18mos @ 0% interest.

To put it bluntly, When I bought my first and second X, I could've purchased any vehicle I wanted - Lexus, MB, Discovery, whatever. I really wanted something I could shlep my snowboard, bike and ice chest in without "messing up the leather" or "scratching the finish".When I decided on a new one (needed to upgrade to 4WD because of a move) I shopped only the various Nissan dealers for the best trade-in deal (and got a really good one)

And Trippdog, all '01's have in-dash Cd, on '00 only the SE model does.

And my advice is NEVER pay MSRP for anything.

rob in santa Fe
  • esuttlesesuttles Member Posts: 1
    I just got word that my 3 month old 2001 I may be totaled. If so, I am also told I will probably have to come up with some of my own money to get in a new one. Which I definitely want another one. Kelly Blue Book does not yet have info on I's this new. Where should I look to see what a 2001 3 month old I with 4,100 miles on it is worth? Any suggestions anyone?
    when ever I hear about a lost X. I feel your grief, but don't you guys have replacement waiver or value for you trucks with your insurance ? For a minor charge.. by memory $25/yr.. if I lose mine, I go to the dealer and get another. In principle anyway..
    Chrisedge.. the leather is a dealer install, so either try asking the salerep who does it ( you never know, he might answer), or do some phoning, there can't be that many seat guys around. I think xterraparts offered them as well.. not sure?

mikado..nothing includes the two hitch.. you can have the dealer throw it in, I'd still go with the 3 pak and get it all, but I believe A/C is comman across all of them. I took the seats out once.. extending the rails would be best left to the right aftermarket guy.. not to be insulting, but given the weight, you would want to make sure its done right. ( to many special tools for the mods required ).
    As far as finding your X.. I still say you should wonder over to xterrastore.com.. if anyone can get the X you want, Steve Fisk can, and he still flies you in for the pick-up.

I'd buy another.. and the way I figure my present one runs.. it will be a second X and not a replacement.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Total loss on my car, how much should I get?. I seem to recall a mileage deduction off the new replacement cost (.25 cents a mile ring a bell for anyone?).

Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards
  • frog22frog22 Member Posts: 24
    I'm thinking about getting an xterra but I'm wondering how it handles in the snow and ice. I live in new York and drive in the early morning(6:45) to get to my job as a nurse. I need a suv that can easily handle all weather conditions. at present I have an explorer that is perfect in the snow but the lease is up next month and want to try something different. thanks for your help.

j.
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    The Xterra is absolutely incredible in the snow: meaning that it will go. However, I don't want anyone getting the idea that it's invincible and that they can be reckless. The Xterra WILL GO, but just like every other car and truck, stopping will be a problem -- even with ABS. The stock tires (whether the BFG or Generals) will be able to handle most snow-covered roads. I have the BFGs on my truck. If you wish to see some of the snow covered areas I have been in with my X, just head over to my pictures page at:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1406935&a=10805120

The X is a more "back to basics" truck than the Explorer, so if you're looking for luxury, I'd look elsewhere. It truly is everything you need, nothing you don't. If I were you, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Good Luck

Real winter.. Real Tires.. Any truck is only as good as the rubber hitting the ground. I've driven other 4x4's.. all things being equal, I find the X better balanced in snow conditions.
  • cj40cj40 Member Posts: 7
    I think some of the things you might want to consider are weight of the vehicle,ground clearance and TIRES.Do a comparison for the first two and then talk to a reputable tire dealer, explaining what you need/expect from the tires for the conditions given.
    I use Dunlop A/T 's ,had them put on when I bought the 2001 XE.They cost me $90.00 with the trade-in of the ones that were on the new X.The dealer took it to the shop while I waited.
    I lived in N.E and those were the best tires not only for winter but for heavy rains (No-Hydro-planning).
    Ice is another thing that there's not much one can do to help, except maybe a wider tire(more surface area)but ice is the worst , driving slow and defensensivly seems to be the only effective preventive measure.You won't be disappointed with the X for the price and all the bells and whistles on the XE 4WD W/ 3Pak.Good-Luck
  • jkrammjkramm Member Posts: 3
    i like the front guard you put on your X. can you tell me where you got it. also i see that you have an extra pair of lights in some pictures? thanks alot looks like alot of fun wherever that trail is
    I'm not sure about other dealers' attitudes on this, but my dealer was very adament about getting me the exact X I wanted, even if that meant ordering one direct from the factory. They said that it would take up to 90 days and require a (refundable) $500 deposit, but really the only concern was that I didn't order something so goofy that no one else would want to buy it if I decided I didn't want it once it arrived (what exactly that would be, I'm not sure). Fortunately, I didn't have to go this route because they ended up getting another one that was what I wanted. So I would say that if your dealer won't order one for you, find another dealer.

Mindie
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The best defense in winter is DEDICATED SNOW TIRES. I don't care how many wheels are driving th ecar, only TIRES help you turn and stop when the going get's slippery.

The first vehicles I see off the roads during a storm here in VT are usually SUV's. Some people think 4WD can overcome physics... and learn the hard way how wrong they are.
    frog22, i live in new jersey, am in bergen county 90% of the time, and remember the huge snowstorm new years eve weekend?? well, i didn't go to work that day, instead, i took a friend out and went 4 wheelin! i was in foot and a half deep snow, and never even had to put it 4lo! i must say, my X handled amazing! i was able to turn, stop, go, whatever...as a matter of fact, after that weekend, my fiancee's father was so impressed w/ my X that he went out and bought a 4x4 (not an X though...to young looking for him...) it also handles great in the city. enought pep to get from light to light, and the turning radius is perfect for manhattan driving...

2xterras, what kind of driving lights are those?? i just picked up the Pilot SUV lights. they're bright yellow!! helped out last night, we had some massive fog!!
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    To answer your questions, the grill guard is made by Waag and I bought it from xterraparts.com. Though I didn't know it at the time, I kinda got ripped off on shipping. If you buy it local, you save yourself hundreds on shipping charges. I opted for the one piece, so the shipping was a lot more. There is also a 3 piece, but I have no experience with it and do not know how sturdy it will be when installed.

The driving lights mounted on the brush guard are Hella 500s. They sell for under $100 a pair, but I bought them off e-bay for $49.99. If you do a search for Hella 500, I'm sure you'll find the guy that sells them (he's always selling them starting at $49.99). If you want clear lighting, be sure to buy the 500 driving light model. This model is intended for auxilary lighting -- meaning to be wired to the high beams and not used continuously. If you want a set to be on all the time, I recommend buying the clear fog lights (same model 500, just not driving lights).
    and I love 'em, didn't exactly have brutal heat, but never had any discomfort.. even after being hot and sticky from mountain biking in the heat.
    They are worth their weight in gold just in the ease of clean-ups.
    i was getting gas (what a shock) the other day, and the damn idiot took too long, so i had to get out and fill it myself! (its illegal in NJ) and i had noticed the little plastic "string" type thing that secures the gas cap had come out of the hole! i tried and tried to get it to go back in, but it has prongs that doesn't allow you to get it back in. what to do??? any suggestions???
    Your gas cap is on a string/leash ? so you don't lose the cap ?? another 01 feature I guess. I've got a gas cap holder on my filler door. As long as you can get the cap screwed on tight.. I'd forget about it.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    As I understand it, the dealer will "order" what you want but it's entirely up to Nissan whether or not they send what you want to that dealer. Hence the long waits some people have had. I was at the dealer's in Kingston, NY last weekend for oil change and I was looking at the '01s for fun. The salesman had no yellows and said he's had one "on order" for someone for a very long time. But Nissan keeps sending him white ones and a khaki one that they positively did not want because no one likes the color. I don't understand why it should be so hard for Nissan to provide what folks actually want to buy though.

As far as snow driving, the X feels rock solid at the proper speed, especially with dedicated snow tires. I haven't tried it on ice yet, and don't plan to if I can help it.
    Thanks for all the information ... My local dealer is selling X's at invoice (actually a couple hundred more) but still a few hundred under Edmund's TMV

These are all XE Auto's with 3pk, tow hitch, in cabin mic, body side moulding, and splash guards for $24,382 -- sound like a deal to you?
  • balasbalas Member Posts: 2
    On Sept. 26, 2000, we ordered a 2001 Yellow SE 2-wd, 5-speed. I didn't think that it was such a big deal but I could not find one on a lot within a reasonable distance. My dealer was upfront with me and told us that it could take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months for it to come in. We took delivery of it on Jan. 29, 2001. I don't know why it took so long but now it really doesn't matter. If you don't need a X right now you may as well order what you want, I think that it is worth the wait. No problem at 134 miles!!!
  • xsexse Member Posts: 66
    they are neoprene but they have a cloth/lycra-like skin on them so its not like sitting on a wetsuit!

i also use them in the summer months and they were more than fine. great for mtbiking or any outdoor activity- i just dont worry at all about dirt.

its also great for roadtrips- no more month old french fries stuck in the seat! if you spill something its no big deal, just wipe it off. plus, it saves the original fabric so the seats will look new at resale or when you decide to ditch the covers!
    What should a set of Neoprene seat covers go for?
    but what is the interior filter for? Is it just a normal air filter, or is it there for a reason?
    For making coffee on the go.. fine ground only.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My Nissan van has an in-cabin air filter to weed out the pollen and smells. Unfortunately replacements cost around $60.

Neoprene seats/covers eh? I've spent many a day in a wetsuit, and that doesn't sound too comfy to me. Of course, if they stay dry, maybe that's ok (my wetsuit stays wet since I'm always flipping my canoe and swimming. Gets a lovely smell too:-)).

Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards
    I just never heard that option avaialable for vehicles.

Anyhow, I was looking at a Xterra SE since it has the options I'm looking for. How do the fender/light guards look? Arethey going to break when the first brach hits them? are they really worth the money they charge for them, or would it be cheaper to get them aftermarket?

I was looking to get the tow packages. Would I be able to get it with these options for under 25,000? or better? What would be a good price to ask?
    A number of X owners installed the cabin air filter, they also mention it reduces the amount of dust inside after offroading.. If you suffer from alergies and the like.. it couldn't hurt.

The neoprene seat covers seem to dry quicker. plus you have the advantage of freshening the smell in the X when you wash them.

Brush guards, light guards etc.. better off going aftermarket than paying the dealer the normally inflated prices. Nissan=Waag.. but you have many styles to pick from. Most are sturdy, but if you want to really get into offroading, they reduce your approach angle. If you plan to stay on the lite side off the road, they are fine and gives you a place to mount lights.
    Given the conditions ( not counting offroading ) I really see no problems with the 2WD version of the X. If I didn't live in the snowbelt, and I already know I had my fill of offroading, I would have gone with the Xterra anyway (2wd).
    When I did my rounds for shopping, it was the X set up that hooked me, not the 4WD. If you want the elevated driving position, straight foreward interior, good cargo room and a useful rack, the X is for you.
    As far as the return value of the truck itself, I really wonder about the difference in percentage lost. Facing facts that even 90% of the Xterra's stay on road, and you resale your X in the sunbelt, I doubt there would be a great difference between a 4WD & 2WD (maybe higher), opposite being true here. To get all the mechanics of a 4x4 just to have a dust covered lever from lack of use would be a waste.
    Anywho.. just my 2cents + some... the X is solid, nothing more than the regular maintenance.
    hey xcanuk that's a great idea!! i'm waiting for someone like BMW or MB to come out with that...come to think of it, don't Rolls Royce's have coffee makers in them?? or just the tray in the back of the seat??
    trippdogg: you'd have to be nuts to order a pushbar from the dealer!! they charge over $700!! i got one aftermarket, installed for $350. but xcanuk has a point, its another place to mount some bright @ss lights!! ;)