Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• tatmantatman Member Posts: 3
    I plan on buying an x soon and am wondering if any of you know if the 2002 is really going to have a front end like the frontier. If so any idea's when it is supposed to be available? Also, I was quoted a price for a 2001 xe, all three packages, 4wd v6, manual trans for $22,866. Is that a good deal? I'd appreciate any imput.
  • chicago77chicago77 Member Posts: 3
    I'm 23 and have never financed my own car. I'm pretty set on getting the Xterra next month.

But I have some doubts and questions about the pricing game.

I see invoices from a dealer around 24k and he's willing to sell straight up...however, this other dealer says I can get the same model (XE V6 4x4) for 21.5-22K.

Can this be? Edmunds has their invoice at 23,600 with all the packages.

I thought that the cheaper dealer was trying to sell me something with no options but he said that it came with everything...

He has about 160 and said he wants to sell them and stuff...but I don't know, I haven't seen the invoice yet but if it's in that cheaper range I'm defintely sold.

What should I exactly find out from him? If it's legite or not. I'm familiar with the packages so I'll make sure they're there, but what else should I look for that would make the price so much lower. Even carmax (no haggle) is selling them (XE) for around 24k.

Please help me cuz I feel kind of out of place in dealing with these guys.

And for those of you who own 2001s, how do they drive in your opinion. I took it for a test drive and I liked it...but is it harder to drive than most other suvs? At least on the road that is since I won't be using it much offroad.

Please give me your advice and sorry for such a long post...(first time)

thanks!
    I forgot to add that it's automatic...not manual...could this be right?
  • mikado462mikado462 Member Posts: 10
    If he's quoting you 21.5 to 22k for a '01 XE 4x4 with Auto tranny and 3pk, then it's definitely a deal.

Heck, that price is darn near 10% below invoice so I don't know how he's doing it.

What's the dealer's name and is he on line?

If so, that's where my X is coming from.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Are you trading in anything ? is the dealer financing ? if so.. what rate ? maybe he's making up the difference there ??
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    i'd be careful about buying it for 21.5 or 22 grand. they're probably gonna overcharge you for something. don't be intimidated, and don't let them talk you into anything else, ie, waag guard, trailer hitch, wind deflectors...and find out what APR your finance will be...don't be stupid like i was, i'm financing $27,000 + 9.95%APR on my X for 60 months (i got hammered getting out of my old lease and my credit ain't great) be careful and check all the paperwork
  • trippdoggtrippdogg Member Posts: 19
    Also be careful, when I bought my last car, I told them i wanted to keep the payments no more than of 400.00. Well they came up with numbers that sounded good, but when i looked at it, they had me down for a 72 months loan at over 10% APR. Needless to say, I found a better deal elsewhere with 60 month and 5.9% Hopefully, I will have some luck at the NIssan dealership.
  • g_man_cag_man_ca Member Posts: 4
    Just took in my 2001 XTerra SE to have the gas gauge fixed. At first, after filling up, the gas gauge would only go 3/4 full; then after a few fillups, the gauge stuck on full. Took it in and the service guy said that the plunger was "hung up" on something inside the tank. They rerouted it and its working now.

I also had them install the EC mirror with LED temp gauge & compass...really compliments the titanium dash. Love my X!

G-Man
    I'm just wondering why the mirror is 01 specific ? Someone mentioned 01's are prewired for the mirror, if so, I don't know why the install is so much. Did you see them feed any wire ??
    the guy that did my EC mirror (which i love btw), said it was a total pain in the @ss! i asked him if there was a wiring harness above the headliner, and he looked at me and laughed! i've heard from many people that there were pre-wired harnesses in the headliner, actually, from xterraparts.com, and my dealership's service manager. but nope, there wasn't.
    the EC mirror IS '01 specific, but only the later '01's. the earlier '01's have a channel mount mirror bracket, as opposed to the later '01's w/ a wedge mount. if you wanted to do so, you can buy a wedge mount for your '00, but it's a total pain in the @ss to take the old one off!
  • pootypiepootypie Member Posts: 13
    Regarding the price for your XE, I live in Chicago and I saw an ad for SEs for 22,000. But then I realized they were 2wd vehicles. The pricing is much lower for those, and that could be the reason they are quoting you such a low price. The lowest price I can find around here is about 100 to 200 over invoice, which is still a pretty good deal.
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Thanks for the update. I'll be taking my X in soon for an oil change (how am I over 3100 miles in one month?), and I'll have them fix it then.

Mindie
    Yeah, I'm in a dilemma...I totally can't think it could be for 21-22k.

But I keep calling him asking about specifics:

And he's confirmed,

4x4, V6, XE, all packages (at least power).

For 21-22k...

maybe he's not adding the sports package...but will that be a huge difference...

I wouldn't really need the sports package anyway...but the way he was talking (I've met with him a few times) he's said that they all come pretty much the same...all equipped.

the apr is around 8% so it's not that...and it's for 60 months.

I'm also trading in my car...which I have -3000 equity on...

So with tax...probably 22k...then add the -3000 and it'll be 25K.

plus my 3,000 down payment...

I can afford 22k loan...but nothing much higher.

So invoice for an XE is almost 24k with everything...couldn't afford that...so if this is this case of course I can go for it...he knows I can only afford around 400 a month with a 60 month loan...he said he'll do it.

I also said I'd be getting it in march...who knows by then.

but thanks everyone and please give me more advice if you think anything I've said made any difference...but thanks!

and you internet buyers...how low do you think I could get one through the internet...with tax and everything...and all the pacages (XE, 4x4, v6).

thanks!
  • pootypiepootypie Member Posts: 13
    You can get the costs for the packages right here
    on Edmunds along with the MSRP and invoice prices for any options. Where and who is the dealer? If they are in the vicinity, I would be very interested!
  • g_man_cag_man_ca Member Posts: 4
    Ditto to Xcellentrk. My guy also said the EC mirror was a b*tch to install. They had to run the wire through the headliner, down the door pillar, through the front dash panel to the engine compartment....was almost 3 hours labor by the Nissan dude. It looks and works great, though!
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Someone asked - I didn't see an answer. I paid about $220 for the front and rear Nissan covers from www.xterraparts.com. www.xterrastore.com had them for about $10 more. Well worth it.
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    I am a woman and slightly intimidated..I offered 25K including taxes (MA is 5%), title, reg. and dest. charge. They said they "would work with me"..well, whatcha think?? Is this a fair price? Annie
    I was the guy who asked about the seat covers!
    I know E-Loans is offering 7.39% APR for upto 72 months on the purchase of a NEW X and will guarantee the rate for 60 days.

E-Loans issues you a blank draft check valid for upto an amount you specify during the application process and you simply right it out for the purchase amount to the dealer so it's like paying cash from the dealer's point of view anyway!
    i'm reading the paper this morning (saturday paper has all the car ads) and i'm looking at a couple of nissan dealers' ads. there's one in here for an '01 SE 4x4 for $21,999!!! (reflects $750 college grad rebate). but, it says that it has the Power package? i thought all SE's come w/ all three packages standard???, then they have a 2001 XE 4x2 for $15,495! i should've held out!!! then, stupidly enough, two pages later, it has an '01 XE 4x4 3pack for $22,500 (w/ rebate) and a lease for $249 for 36 months! i can't believe that they're getting rid of all these X's at rediculous prices!!
    I live in MA and the lowest quote I can get with taxes and dest. fee is 26K..(SE 4x4 manual)..HELP...Annie
  • sterashoppingsterashopping Member Posts: 4
    I like the Xterra and have been looking into buying one but have recently heard that the 2002 models will have an option of having more power than the 2001's have so I'm kind of waiting to see which one I like best. Then, today on the NissanDriven site it says that the 2002 Xterras will be out on February 7th....yeah! So, of course I'm looking forward to that. Also, twice in the past two days, I've seen a tangerine color orange Xterra in town and was wondering what that was about. A special promotion or perhaps a 2002 model?
    And how can a 2002 be out NOW?? Annie
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Most MY2002 vehicles come out in the late summer or fall of 2001. However, any vehicle that debuts in Jaunary 2001 can be considered a MY2002 vehicle (albeit an early MY2002 release). For example, the 2001 Nissan Pathfinder made its debut in March of 2000.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
  • xinhawaiixinhawaii Member Posts: 3
    aloha from hawaii, i just purchaced an xe 2001 w/all 3 pkgs & luv it! i have 2 teenage boys which there is lots of room for. i'm am also a canoe paddler which am looking forward to using the racks.(haven't tried yet). though i don't have the problems with snow here, it's interesting to read the capabilities of the xterra.
    As far as the wiring for that dang ec mirror taking an installer 3 hours.. they are not too bright. I installed an aftermarket indoor/outdoor thermometer in front of the overhead map lights on the headliner. ( If I waited, they just came out with the one that included the compass ) It only took me an hour to come up with a bracket system, ( no drilling ) and wire the sensor to the engine bay. ( same route you described ) Total cost.. $18.00.. and I'm not the brightest candle around here.
  • dbn7dbn7 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know when they will be hitting the dealerships? Any big changes? Thxs!
    rumor has it that it will have the same style nose as the frontier pick up, and will have the supercharged engine??? i have no idea...lets wait another 2 days, and we'll find out!! we're all very excited! i'm just pissed i didn't wait 5 more months for my new X!!
    I don't think the 02 will be available till late fall.. like normal. just a gut feeling the pics ( if they are being released on the 7th ) will be a proto type mock up. Makes no difference to me.. I love the X I have.. and would not want to have spent the time just waiting for the next one to come out instead of having fun in mine now. Maybe in another 10 years.. I'll think about it.
    finally, i get to have some fun w/ 4WD!! i'm cutting out of work a few hours early to play!! can't wait!!
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    According to Autoweek magazine the "facelifted" 2002 Xterra and "updated" 2002 Crew Cab will be unveiled on Feb. 9 at the Chicago Auto Show
    I'm looking to buy an x soon. One of the dealers I'm talking to said the 2002 x's won't be out until august 2001.
  • estevef1estevef1 Member Posts: 22
    Click for Freshalloys pix of the new 02 Xterra - I prefer the older front end myself...

http://freshalloy.ubbforums.com/forum/Forum19/HTML/000062.html

The 2002 Xterra will get a fairly moderate facelift in an attempt to fend off new competitors from Ford, Mazda, Jeep, Land Rover and others. The headlights are rumored to be round and will blend into the hood like the new Jeep Liberty. The fog lights are also round like the ones seen on the Frontier, Maxima, and Sentra while the parking lights are reported to be like the fog lights on the Pathfinder/QX4. The current pull-style handbrake located under the right side of the steering wheel has been a target of criticism along with the simplicity of the interior. Nissan hopes to silence critics with a major makeover of the interior with rumors of a three-pod gauge being the most notable feature. Also, the handbrake will likely be axed in favor of a foot-operated parking brake. And to answer the most asked about question, the 2002 Xterra will feature the Eaton supercharger currently found on the Frontier SC models.

• mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Geez, maybe I don't have an open mind because I don't want to regret my recent purchase, but I really don't like the new front end very well. As someone on the board under the pics said, it makes it look like a toy. I don't like the round headlights on any truck - makes it look more girly to me. Ok, so I'm a girl, but I don't always like girly things. Especially when we're talking about a *truck*. That's just my 2 cents though. :o) To each his/her own!

Mindie
  • estevef1estevef1 Member Posts: 22
    More details swiped from Nissan's own site:

ROCKFORD FOSGATE AUDIO SYSTEM
    XE optional/SE standard
    300 watts peak power
    8 speakers
    in-dash 6-cd changer
    SUPERCHARGER
    210hp/246lb torque with auto/231lb torque with stick
    EXTERIOR
    Rugged new front end...
    New hood with raised 'power bulge'...for the supercharged V6
    Three eye-popping new colors: Shock Blue, Sedona, and a new Red
    INTERIOR
    Updated instrument panel with 3 'cockpit style' round gauges
    Convenient integrated center console that includes: Map pocket; Retractable rear passenger cup holders; Rear power oute
    Available map lamp with integrated compass
    i do take back what i said previously about wishing i'd waited...i can honestly say that i HATE the new front end!!! the interior looks cheesy, but i wish i had the supercharger!! oh well...
    my fiancee just saw the '02 and she LOVES IT!! i'm so depressed! i always wanted to get her one, but after today, i'd be in shock if i had to look at it everyday in my driveway!!
    I'm kinda on the fence about the looks, plus I always find pictures lie a bit, always taken at that one angle that makes or breaks the look.. it might be better or worse once you take a good walk around the real truck.
    The interior looks smoother, but I have a feeling it is getting too refined and too many options. I picked my X because it was plain.. everything you need truck. I have more fun ripping up and modifying the interior and exterior of my X to suit my taste.. versus getting a complete truck and leaving it stock. But that is just me.. at least when I sit in my X.. I know its mine, and not someone elses.
  • sterashoppingsterashopping Member Posts: 4
    The headlights may take getting used to but everything else about it, I like....especially the supercharger and my favorite color of blue that will be available on it. I only wish I didn't have to wait until August to buy one. Oh well, I'll be able to save more pennies until then!
    at first glimpse, i saw the nasty new blue! i thought it was hideous! its sort of growing on me in the silver. i'm sure it will look good in black too..
    btw, i just spoke to my X salesman, and he said he's REALLY slow on selling X's!! i don't know what's goin on!!
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Well, I don't know. I don't really like the '01 Frontier front end either and this looks like it... and the headlights are such a rip-off of the Jeep Liberty. Plus, what is with a foot parking brake? Are we regressing to the 1950s? Granted, I'm constantly wacking my knee on the '00 brake but give me a console-mounted hand brake please.

Of course, I would be happy with a flat metal dashboard and simple round guages, including an oil pressure guage, thank you, hold the titanium.

Gee, I think I'm cranky today.
    I'm still hoping the exterior looks better in person, the only thing I sort of like is the side marker lights.. the round treatment can go.
    I still think the interior is on the proto type side. The hell if I can figure where they will put the forth pedal ( on manuals ), it is tight as it is with winter boots, and the dead pedal space just makes it as is. I don't mind the brake where it is, console brakes belong on sport cars, or where the seats are lower and console higher, and eats storage space. At least my console is still bigger than the new one by the looks of it.
    My X is a year old.. wonder how many that is in human years ?
  • xsexse Member Posts: 66
    man, i love what they did to it! i like the front end- to me, it looks tougher- like the lights have intergrated brush guards and i like how the front bumper has a 'step bar' to match the sides. it makes the whole thing more intergrated.

the interior is hot! i think its great and i would rather have that footbrake than the lame pull brake that make it feel like im in a jalopy.

to me, the whole truck seems like its own thing now- not a rehash of the frontier. i love it! looks great!kudos to nissan- looks alot better, tougher than the jeep liberty or any of the competition.
    i still think its lame a 3.3L v6 needs a supercharger to make 210hp. i would still go with the normally aspirated v6. and the whole reliability issue of the SC bothers me- not to mention requiring premium gas. with the mpg the xterra gets, thats the last thing i would want!
    the SC is just a quick fix to keep up with everyone else. the x needs a new engine...maybe in '04
    I've decided to buy a 2001 because I don't like the looks of the 2002. The lowest price I've been offered for an xe 3pk, 4x4, v6, 5spd, with allseason floor mats, body side molding, microfilter, and splash gaurd is 22730. out the door price of 24000. I have recieved three other offers within $50-$100 of this price so maybe I could get one of them to go lower. Just wondering if this sounds like a good deal.
    -Thanks.
  • xsexse Member Posts: 66
    if you want to buy the '01 you should get it well under invoice.
    please look into the '02 a bit before spending $24000.00 on a vehicle. the'02 may have mechanical/ feature improvements that maybe important to you- beyond the first look.

if you still want the '01, then you absolutely need to get it cheap because they will be blowing them out cheap at dealers to make way for those '02's in august (?) or whenever they sell them.
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I saw one at the Chicago Auto show yesterday. The interior looks sooo much better. The front makes it look, dare I say it, "Cute". I was disgusted. I would say that the headlights were a Liberty knock off but I can't since its directly derived from the Frontier which was done before the first Liberty pictures came out. I think the addition of the supercharger is great but the new front end delivers a heavy blow to the "tough" image.
  • xinhawaiixinhawaii Member Posts: 3
    just bought a new xterra 2001 xe. has anyone had
    a problem with a sulfer smell(rotten eggs)
    when you turn the
    engine off? my car is about 2 weeks old and I've been noticing this distinct smell.
  • yvonnezyvonnez Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I want to buy a Nissan Xterra XE V6 4x2 Automatic Transmission recently. I am in south FL. I went to the dealer it is hard to get the price down. Does somebody get one recently and can tell me the price? Thanks!
    do you have a stick??? if so, i remember seeing a thread of posts on the xoc board about the newness of the clutch or something like that. go on the site, and search for "clutch" it was about a week or two ago