Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Kia Amanti

magmaxmagmax Member Posts: 88
edited March 2014 in Kia
I just spent the better part of the past half hour enjoying viewing the pictures of what will be the new 2007 Amanti in North America. The site is Korean so you'll want to decline the installation of the Korean type set and just click on the characters to the left of the main image. Take them in turn and you'll get pictures of the exterior, interior, mechanical features, and so on. I swear that this is going to be my next car, provided they've got a colour I can live with. They've kept all the room, height, and ease of entry of my current Amanti while making it look a lot sleeker. I really like the grille and taillight changes. Of course, it's called the Opirus in other markets but will likely retain its Amanti name here. Just go to the following and wait for the various flash video files to download. I'll be really interested in hearing your reactions to this new car.

http://www.kia.co.kr/Show/P_car/Opirus/Opirus.htm

MagMax

Comments

• jtzjtz Member Posts: 37
    I noticed the DVD player. Also it looks like you can control the radio from the rear with out the remote (I like the remote though). It is located at the back set when the person pulls down the rear armrest. I like the camera located in the front. It seems to have power sun visors like the Lexus they always show on television. Hmmmmm...I wonder if it has those rain sensing wipers Lexus always shows? I would not be surprised. That new radio by JBL is off the hook! :D
  • magmaxmagmax Member Posts: 88
    Hi jtz, The trouble is that this car is in the executive class in Korea and is often driven by a chauffeur, so the back seat has all sorts of features that don't make it to North America. For example, in the current Amanti we don't get the reclining back seats, the sun screens on the side windows, the power sunscreen on the rear window, the adjustable shock absorbers, the headlight washers, the rear bumper parking sensor, rear seat radio controls, and so on. My 2005 has the rain sensing wipers and I have to say, living in a place where it rains all the time, they're great. I never even think about adjusting the wipers any longer. It just happens all by itself. Mine also has the heated front and rear seats, Xenon headlights, and wood grain steering wheel (all standard on the Canadian model) but no power sunshade and also without the Homelink that's on the US models. My guess is that the executives for the North American arms of Kia will select what they think will be competitive, without outdoing the competition by too much. After all, price is going to still have to sell this car until the public catches on to what a great car it is in its own right. I wonder whether we'll see the larger 3.8 engine or will get the smaller 3.3? If the new Magentis is anything to go by, it's quite possible that Kia won't have the same power or V6 engine as the Hyundai Azera. But even if it only gets the 3.3 it will still gain about 35 hp over the current model and it will weigh a lot less over the front wheels. And it should also get better gas mileage around town. I noticed the tires were going to 17" size with a 55 aspect ratio so I wonder if the suspension's going to be tightened up. I'd hate to see them lose the comfy ride but wouldn't mind a little less bounce in the front suspension.

MagMax
  • billh6billh6 Member Posts: 123
    I have already told my salesman to let me know when they get them in. Knowing Kia, they probably won't show up here until Jan. 07. :cry:
    Hi Billh6, I'm sure you're right about the intro time. I don't think Amanti is a priority for Kia, unfortunately, so they don't seem to time their introductions very strategically. I did a little more exploring on the Kia website and found a bunch more pictures that I'd missed before. That new Amanti is going to be a great car. Let's hope my 05 holds enough value to be worth something in trade in a year's time.

MagMax
    MagMax, could you give me the links to the other pictures? I've been searching daily and I can't find any. I wrote to Kia earlier today asking if Amanti will look like the '07 Opirus and when can I expect it at my dealer, as I'll be ready to trade, but I've not received an answer yet. Mine is a 2004, garage kept with only 9,577 miles on it. Just got it waxed Saturday. People think it's brand new, but of course it's not. Bill H.
    Hi Bill, Sorry, I guess I made it sound as if I'd found some new pictures elsewhere. What I meant was that I dug around some more on the Opirus website and found pictures, especially in the interior and features section, that I'd missed before. I haven't written to headquarters yet but will do so because I want them to think long and hard before deciding to leave off particular features for the North American market. I bought my Amanti in December 04 as the first 05 model they'd received. So far I've got 19,000 km on the clock so maybe in another 6-8 months I'll have enough mileage to make it worth trading. But even if I decide to keep the current Amanti for another couple of years, I'll probably still be very happy with it if it continues to be as reliable as it has so far.

MagMax
  • shadow99688shadow99688 Member Posts: 209
    Well I noticed in the pictures that it has side mirror turn signals, optical key option,the auto button on the seat suggests 2 different chips in the keys and car will auto set the seat pedals and steering wheel to the key in the car.
    See a dual exhaust system.
    more color options on the leather interior.
    3 engines a 3.8, 3.3 and what looks like a 2.7 diesel
    in the grill right below the oprius badge are 2 cameras that look to the sides to see around corners, really nice when you want to turn and that big truck pulls up beside you blocking the view.
    See navigation system that everyone said that they wanted.
    Don't really care for what they did with the tail lights, looks too much like a chrysler.
  • topgeartopgear Member Posts: 111
    It's almost a month since this Korean brochure was posted and I'm finally seeing it. I don't come here too often since I've sold my '04 Amanti and purchased an '06 Avalon. I still miss my Amanti very much. The ride of the Amanti is nicer and much quieter in general although the Avalon handles better. Avalon's power is greater too with better gas mileage. But all in all, the Amanti is still a very nice car that has many virtues.
    When I see these photos, I feel I would buy another one, BUT it would have to have many of the features shown. In my opinion, if Kia wants to compete successfully in the U.S., it should offer Navigation, Bluetooth, HID, etc. and most of the bells and whistles that are available in Korea.
    For some reason, no Korean car offers these pretty common features.
    Yes, they have focused on safety and that is terrific. But a lot of consumers like these other goodies, too. If another auto offers these, I believe that will influence the final purchase. It affected mine!
    I really like the new Amanti a lot and look forward to seeing lots of them on the road -maybe with me behind the wheel of one of them!
    -P
  • scarpiascarpia Member Posts: 4
    Is This True!?!?! I'm sorry I just joined this forum today and I saw these pictures. Is it foreseeable that the 2007 Amanti could have the options in the photographs like a navigation system, adjustable pedals, power window shades, a dvd system and reclining backseats? Last week our family test drove an Amanti and absolutely loved it but I was wishing for the navigation system and dvd player. We probably won't be in the car market for another 1 to 2 years but by then we should be able to pick up a slightly used 2007 Amanti at a (hopefully) great price. If these pictured options are available, I'll stop looking at any other cars.
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    I found a pic of the restyled Amanti on a Korean website:

http://www.kia.co.kr/Show/P_car/Opirus/Opirus.htm

Most of you know it's called Opirus over there. It's a nice freshening of the original vehicle. Hopefully things like tilt & telescope steering wheel, rain sensing wipers, heated and cooled seats, rear sunshade, 4 way adjustable lumbar support and maybe even power adjustable pedals will make it over the pond.

Check it out!
    Do we not have the rain sensor wipes and the 4 adjustable lumbar now? Yes, it is truly a beautiful vehicle. I have already informed my original salesman to call me as soon as they arrive, but he knows I'm a hard sell, so I will probably have to wait until the end of '07 to purchase one. :shades:
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    The goodies I mentioned were not even available on the 04-06 Amanti. They will make a great addition to the car if they make the trip from Korea. You may currently have intermittent wipers and 2 way lumbar adjust and possibly heated seats depending on the particular option package.
    If you have a look at the following link -- http://www.canadiandriver.com/ -- and click on the News, the leading story is about the new Amanti announced for 2007. I'll quote from the story: "The new Amanti features a lower hood, wider grille, revised headlamps and new vertical taillamps, with 17-inch wheels. New interior features include heated and cooled front seats, power-adjustable pedals, four way lumbar support for the driver's seat and a clearer trip computer display. An all-aluminum 3.8-litre V6 replaces the previous 3.5-litre V6, giving the car a 0-100km/h rating of 7.5 seconds, an improvement from the previous 9.2 seconds, and a top speed of 230km/h. The five-speed automatic transmission is carried over. The Opirus will reach European dealers in January 2007. The model was introduced in 2002 and has sold more than 144,400 units, most of them in North America."

There are also two pretty good pictures as part of the story. They show that the grille on the Korean website apparently won't come to North America. Instead there will be a wider version of the current honeycomb grille. I doubt that the side sun curtains, reclining rear seats, and several other options available in the home market will make it over here but at least it's coming with a new engine and improved handling. The press release states that, "The new model is longer, sleeker, and lighter, has an enhanced interior with new high-tech features, and uses a larger, more powerful V6-engine. the company says it has made significant improvements to the ride, handling and safety."

I can't wait to drive it and place my order.

MagMax
    MagMax, I went to the site you indicate and clicked on the News but never found the Amanti. I guess I misunderstood you. Bill
    only article about a 2007 Kia was about the 2007 Magentis/Optima
  • srubiosrubio Member Posts: 6
    The 2007 Amanti's have the navagation DVD in them in Korea right now as for it having it in the states that is still up in the air since they would have to get one in it that would support US GPS.
  • mike777mike777 Member Posts: 2
    There were 2005 OPIRUS/AmantiIn in S. Korea with 3.8 & 2.7l with minor modifications (New tail lamps (more clear), rear w. mirrors, VDS)

Look at:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/455568/1
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    I read in one of the larger car mags (MT, I think) that the 2007 Amanti will have a larger V6 with 264 HP. I assume they may be referring to the same 3.6 (or is it 3.8) from the Azera.

I'm not sure I trust the information, though, the same article had some misinformation. For instance, they listed the Suzuki Aerio as a 2007, but it is being replaced by the SX4. (Maybe I have my information wrong!)

A bigger engine in the Amanti would be a welcome upgrade! Hope it happens soon.

Greg
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    Why is it that I have to use Google to find this information on Edmunds? Maybe I need some formal training.

Anyway, here is some information from the Paris Auto Show: http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1555

Interesting that some very significant changes--more HP, lower weight, updated suspension--are receiving little notice. Maybe that's a good thing to keep the Opirus/Amanti a "sleeper" luxury vehicle.

Greg
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Does anyone out there have any clue as to whether Kia will implement a foldable rear seat on the "improved" U.S. version of the 2007 Amanti? :confuse:

This machine would be perfect if I could expand trunk cargo capacity occasionally.

Looking forward to any 4-1-1. . .

Many thanx-

Peace! :D
    I test drove 2007 Amanti yesterday. All I can say is wow!! He told me to floor it twice, and I did. Scared the pee out of me the speed it has now. I'm blown away by the new dash and also the back of it. I really liked the grill of my 2004 better, but this new grill looks like the Mercedes, which is just a-okay. Anyway, I am trading. Just waiting for a black one with TCS (traction control system) and 17" tires with 7-spoke chrome finish alloy wheels (I know, harder to clean). Oh well. The pearl white was nice too but I do not want that light interior again.
    I went ahead and did it. I'd owned a 2005 Amanti since December 04 and loved everything about the car except that the driver's seat caused severe sciatic pain in my leg. I put up with it for two years after having tried everything to adjust the seat, put in cushions, and so on but decided near the middle of December that I just couldn't stand the pain any longer.

I test drove several cars and settled on either a Hyundai Azera or a new Amanti. I have to say that I didn't like the styling revisions of the new Amanti at first and I really did like the look and interior of the Azera but after I'd driven them both for many hours (yes, both dealers just gave me the car and told me to bring it back the next day) it was clear that the new Amanti was much quieter and had a much better ride than the Azera.

I've now put 1000 kilometres on the clock and have a couple of observations to make. The 07 Amanti is a completely different car from the 05 model. The new engine is marvellous: much more power and better fuel mileage too. The handling is much improved so there's no longer any sway on turns and no more bobbing up and down of the front end over undulations in the road. The ride is a little firmer but not enough to make it stiff. In fact, except over really broken pavement at slow speeds the new car is actually more comfortable than the old one was. And it's even quieter too.

I liked the 05 interior a lot so it's taken me a while to warm up to the new colour scheme. Mine is white with the light grey interior and instead of having the natural wood colour trim now the car has a smoked black wood colour trim. It's nice but is much more subdued. The seats have been redesigned and are softer, without the pronounced roll at the front that caused me so much trouble in the older car, and the leather is perforated.

I'm delighted with the car and have just ordered the Korean Opirus grille from my dealer. I think that's better looking than the current eggcrate design that looks for all the world like a Crown Victoria.

I'll keep you posted as I put some more miles on this car. Has anyone else driven the 07 model yet?

MagMax
    I did it also, traded in my '04 for an '07. Mine is dark blue (cobolt blue) loaded with 17" alloys. Interior is two tone, grey top and like a light grey/tan bottom, with darker carpet. I am blown away by the new interior. You are right! That engine is unbelievable. And no more bobbing up and down. It is tighter. Don't you just love the sound with the duel exhausts when it shifts gears? I am getting the stares and praises again. I believe I've made a good choice. Of course,time will tell. But if I graded it now it would get all 10s. I'm going to wait to make sure my opinion is a true opinion, and time will tell me that. I do miss my '04. I've not had the hesitation and other problems folks have with the '05 or '06. I wonder if it's the fuel. I know one thing: You have to click at least 3 times when you put the gas cap back on. That's a blurb about that in my manuel, as the "check engine" light will come on and will cause it to be sluggish.
    Bill H.
    I did it. I went back to my dealer again. Gave me a great deal. They only had 4 in so far. I got a loaded one, a cobalt blue with gray interior. I like the fact you can push a button and adjust the gas and brake pedals. I did get the 17" alloy wheels. The power, ride and performance is unmatched. Lots of stares. I'm thrilled.
    Bill H.
    Hi Bill, I'm glad to hear about your new Amanti. Our opinions are pretty much the same I'd say: both very complimentary of the car and pleased with the deal. Your gas cap comment is so true. I had a problem with the other car's gas cap from the outset and noticed that this one has no more clicks. It just closes tightly with a single small twist, yet another example of an improvement. Unfortunately, the Canadian specs are different from the US models and while we have only one version available that's supposed to be loaded, it turns out that in Canada we don't get the power adjustable pedals, and I wish we did. They've also deleted the multiple-CD changer from our specs, to say nothing of the rain sensing wipers and the previously standard rear heated seats. And the new spare tire is not full-sized on an extra alloy wheel; now it's a space saver spare. Sure it saves weight but I'd rather have the extra wheel just in case. It turns out that the feature I miss most from my 05 is the trunk net. They've deleted the four chrome fasteners and the cargo net so that there's nothing to keep things from sliding and banging around back there now. All of this decontenting has probably saved them a few dollars in wholesale costs but for someone who was used to having them it's a bit of a let down. I've written to Kia Canada about it, suggesting they recall the 07 models to retrofit the better stereo and the trunk tie-downs. We'll see what they say. I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, though, I'm enjoying the better power and better fuel mileage. Yes, I love the twin exhaust sound when you accelerate!

MagMax
  • go_boilergo_boiler Member Posts: 4
    Price you paid?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A couple of weeks ago we had Kia Marketing VP Ian Beavis in for a chat with members and guests. Click here to read the transcript. Enjoy!
    Magnax, well I did not even check out the spare until I read your blog above last night, and rushed to the garage to see you are right, it's the donut. But I was looking at the compartment, and I doubt that the 17" tire would fit in there anyway. I'll live with the donut. My '04 did not have rear heated seats. I never used that trunk net, so no loss for me. My lady friend loves the fact that she can push a button and the brake pedal moves upward. I am averaging 21 mpg in town. And don't you love the sound of the engine with the twin exhaust sound? Mine is cobolt blue, interior is two-tone dark gray upper and light tannish or gray lower. I really like the interior with the darker molding better than the previous dash. I get the stares for sure. Enjoy your ride.

Bill H.
    I've now put about 1300 km on the clock and so far it's been totally trouble free. I have to say that I love the power of this car. And the silence at any speed is simply amazing. There's just no road noise, almost no tire noise, no wind noise at all, and you can't hear the engine at cruising speed. The more I drive it the more I like it. We did try to fit the Magentis trunk tie down hooks but they didn't work so I guess we'll wait until Kia comes up with something. Other than that, I'm loving this car. If only they would advertise its genuine value I think it would become a hot seller. Anyone who's thinking of an Avalon or even a Camry or an Accord should drive this. It's an amazing bargain.

Max
    Glad you love yours. I feel the same about my new '07. I wonder why Kia Motors is holding back on delivery to dealers. I sis wants one but there's 5 dealers in a 35 radius from us and they only got 7 total and all sold. I think I bought the first one.
  • smuhlbaiersmuhlbaier Member Posts: 5
    I am searching for another car and checked out both the Amanti and the Optima. Both use different steering wheel configurations but both get close to fitting my 6'8" frame. Nothing from Honda, Toyota, or Nissan will. I continue to drive my incredibly roomy Olds Intrigue until I find something...or until it dies.

Anyway, the Amanti definitely seems like a very nice car, but it sure has that "GrandpaMobile" look to it like no other save for Buick. I know the '07 has the hot Azera engine in there and I plan to take it for a test drive very soon.

One note: I'm a big music fan and it's interesting to note that while the audio IS Infiniti (which means it runs circles around the mediocre BOSE systems), unlike for the Optima it will NOT play mp3-formatted discs. It is also only about 2/3 the power of the Optima version (225 vs 365w). It does look quite a bit better though--more integrated with panel. I wonder why they "skimped" on the Amanti head unit? I can guess--the 50-75 yr olds targeted have no idea what an mp3 is--and Kia probably figures 6 regular CDs is enough for them :)

Any comments on the Amanti sound quality from the owners?
    Well, you got me there on the mp3 (I'm 59) lol BUT I will say this, even at the young age of 59 I enjoy blowing the others in the dust. It is fast and love the sound ! :shades:
    Does anybody know what Kia is doing with the lack of 2007 Amantis? I love mine but I never see any in town. I've driven by all six dealerships in town and they have none to sell. My dealer got 3 in Feb. and I bought the first one. They sold the other 2 within a week, but have no more to sell.
    I know the situation in Canada is a little different for small volume cars like the Amanti but I have yet to see another 2007 model on the road here in the Vancouver, BC area. I know there are some because the dealer keeps telling me that he's sold quite a few but their owners aren't going where I go, I guess. There are three dealers in the immediate area and all have at least one Amanti on display. But there is no advertisement for the car and that's a real shame. I still enjoy the power, the silence, and the luxury of this car and can't think of anything comparable at the price. Now if only they hadn't taken out the cargo tie-down hooks that my 05 Amanti had in the trunk.

Magmax
  • gary12gary12 Member Posts: 6
    Went down to Phoenix this weekend. Stopped by one dealer and they had 4 on their lot. There are at least two other dealers in the Phoenix area, but I did not get a chance to check them out. The prices for the ones I looked at ranged from the high 27's to a little over 31. The had a couple of new 06 for around 20,000.

Gary
    A buddy of mine went to my dealer to test drive one. They have 5. He walked w/o purchasing, hoping they will call him back and take his offer. Guess that's a smart move. I traded in my 2004 Amanti withint half hour.
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    This car cost over $25,000 and it does not include Electronic Stability Control, why should i have to buy the leather package to get that life saving device, it should come standard it is still a great value for the money.
  • cartman2cartman2 Member Posts: 2
    Hate to say it, but what cought my eye on my 06 was the grill. I really don't care for the new style, but the other improvements are great.

Bob
    At the dealer here the assistant manager bought the only 07 Amanti that they got.
    ESC can be good or bad depending on your driving skill.

The bad side of ESC is I have seen many young drivers going too fast on corners relying on it to keep them out of trouble.
    When I decided to trade in my 05 Amanti on an 07 model in January I had been looking at the Korean website for information and pictures on the upcoming model. What struck me especially was the elegant grille on the Amanti in Opirus form as sold everywhere except North America. I mentioned this to my dealer's sales manager at the time I bought my car and he said that he could arrange to have a Korean grille sent over through a friend. Well, it arrived last week and I had it installed and the car looks great! It's a grille with a set of fine slightly curved vertical chrome slats that really sets off the interesting headlight treatment of the Amanti. Mine is probably the only one like it in Canada and possibly North America but I wouldn't be surprised to see dealers offering this as an accessory. The grille just bolts into place and fits perfectly. I'll take some pictures of the car in the next couple of days and will post a front shot so you can see for yourselves.

MagMax
    I definitely am interested in seeing it, as I preferred the grill of my '04 Amanti compared to my '07 but wanted to upgrade due to the faster engine, better fuel economy, and the interior, which is awesome. Can't wait to see the pics.
    Bill H.
    It's been a while since I've posted -- family crisis -- but I wanted to share that the 2008 Amanti is due to arrive at my dealer's later this week. I understand that the only difference from the 07 model that I have is the return of standard rear seat heaters. Mind you, this is for the Canadian market. Apparently we still won't see the power operated pedals, rain sensing wipers, or even the in dash 6-CD changer. It's the only vehicle in its class that doesn't have a 6-CD changer and neither the dealer nor I can understand why some jerk executive in Kia Canada would have made such a stupid decision. I'll be writing them to ask. I think it's rather strange that the 07 models didn't show up here until the last day of 2006 while now we have the 08s at the end of June. I wonder if they'll replace this body style with something based on the Azera and it's due for mid 2008 as a 2009 model.

MagMax
    I've been waiting to hear from you about the grill, as I would like to change mine, but I understand. I'm so sorry about your family crisis.
    A friend of mine contacted all 6 Kia dealers in our area and only found one, which did not have the features he was looking for, so they are ordering him one. What's the deal? I wonder why they are holding back? Supply and demand thing or are we just testing the '07 for the '08's?? I'm still delighted with mine (except for that white Hummer that gave me my first ding at the gym) :mad:
  • mikewellsesqmikewellsesq Member Posts: 29
    Look here for the Opirus grill for '07 Amanti's.

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=440

Amanti 2007 Luxury Chrome Grill
    [KNOPLG1] $295.00

"Introducing the all new Amanti/Opirus Luxury Vertical OEM Mobis Grill. This upgrade is only available by Mobis in Korea and other European countries. Give your North American Amanti the Stunning style and amazing quality of this Opirus Luxury Chrome Grill. An absolute must have for every 2007 Amanti. Includes the embedded Opirus center badge. Matching Badges and rear emblems also available to complete the Opirus conversion. This Luxury grill is a direct fit to all region Amanti's using factory mounts, no modification needed."

If I end up buying the Amanti, I will order one of these! I'd like to totally re-badge the car to Opirus. We need for these guys to make available a replacement steering wheel center cover with the Opirus badge, as well as the chrome license plate surround with Opirus replacing the KIA badge. Think of all the people asking "What kind of car is THAT? What's an Opirus?"
    To follow up on my comments about obtaining the Opirus grille for the 2007 Amanti, I have, on July 3rd, purchased a pewter beige Amanti with leather package (tan interior), ESC/safety package, 17 in. wheels and sunroof. When I started out shopping for a replacement vehicel for my wrecked 2001 XG300, I had not expected to seriously consider the Amanti due to the styling issues I had with the pre-2007 car as well as the reviewers dissing its "floaty" ride and underwhelming engine power. Test driving an Amanti after seeing an article online about the redesign for 2007 was a relevation. I seriously shopped the Amanti vs. the Azera and a couple of other nice sedans, and the Amanti won. I told my wife about the pewter beige Amanti, and when she saw it and rode in it, she was convinced that I had made the right choice. How often does that happen? I paid $26,700.00 after incentives. This car is an amazing value at that price. I am continually being amazed by the quality and features. The power and smoothness of the ride are truly a delight. I'd say this car, for 2007, is the biggest hidden secret on the U.S. market, since Kia is not doing any advertising that I can see. They took a pretty good sedan and turned it into a real quality luxury cruiser. I'd love to see this car in a "sporting" trim with handling improvements and some performance tweaks. It's really that good! But, of course, I'm preaching to the choir in this forum.

To get to my point, I want to totally re-badge this car to the Korean-market Opirus trim. The one objection my wife had to the car was the KIA logos on the car. Kia, regrettably, has had a reputation in the U.S. for selling cheap cars. Strange that, in Korea, the Amanti is sold as the Opirus, with no Kia nomenclature on the car at all, but here Kia wants to badge it the same as it less expensive cars. Remember that Toyota felt that its image in the U.S. required that they give a totally independent name and dealership system for their top-of-the-line sedans, and came up with the Lexus badge. Well, I want my new car to have that kind of separate identity from the Kia brand.

Luckily, the folks at KoreanAutoImports.com can supply all of the exterior trim and badges to make the transformation, including the deluxe Opirus grille, and tell me that they sell a whole re-badging kit to folks like me who want a new, mysterious identity for their Amanti's. They don't, at this time, have the all the pieces necessary to completely rebadge the interior, but I'm hoping to find a solution to the steering wheel cover badge and the door sill plates. I'll be photographing the changes and will report on my progress. :)
    Here's a photo of the new grille:

http://www.carspace.com/mikewellsesq/Albums/mikewellsesq's Album/Amanti_Opirus.JPG/page/photo.html#pic

Look in my CarSpace photo album under MikeWellsEsq for more photos as the project progresses.
  • gary12gary12 Member Posts: 6
    Looks Good. Did you do the work yourself?

Gary
    Yes, although I would advise having the grille replaced by a professional if you don't have the right tools. What you really need, and what I did not have, is a good offset Philips head screwdriver or a racheting screwdriver, because several of the screws that hold in the grille are in places with very little clearance, and getting enough leverage is difficult.

The steering wheel emblem required a little extra 3M double-side sticky tape to adhere properly. I'm now waiting for the rest of the items to arrive from Korea. I may have a professional mechanic replace the license plate surround. The wheels will have to be taken off the vehicle to pop out the center caps, as far as I an tell. From what I am told, using a hot air gun or hairdryer on the "Amanti" lettering will soften the double-sided adhesive holding them on enough to lift off the letters. I'll then stick on the "GH380" chrome letters on the right-hand side of the trunk lid.

The Opirus has really cool looking sill plates with blue illumination, but I don't know of anyone who has them available yet.
This discussion has been closed.