Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 Transmission Problems

mea2120mea2120 Member Posts: 2
I was unsure how to start a new topic and apologize ahead of time if I am posting out of place. I have a 2000 V70 with 103K miles. I bought this car used (that's another story!) only about 6 months ago. I started to notice a little slip when I would hit the gas after being stopped at a stop light or somthing. Now the "jerking" happens even when I am sitting still. It really only occurs when I am just accelerating. I took it to one mechanic who told me it needed a new transmission and to another who ran the diagnostic and could not find anything wrong with it. Not sure what to think. I guess you could say I don't want to believe mechanic #1!

Comments

• striker42striker42 Member Posts: 1
    2004 xc-70 (4300 miles). At low speeds when car has sat for a while (at least a few hours), it seems like tranny slips (its like in a manual tranny, depress clutch and rev accelerator). Only does it for a second then clicks into gear. Anyone else experience this? If so, what outcome? What has dealer said about it? Thanks.
  • jeffreycjeffreyc Member Posts: 1
    hello striker my 2005 XC70 does the same thing especially on hills; have you found out if this is normal? it feels like the torque converter is slipping then locking up for a split second. has anyone contacted you for answers, if so could you let me know because i may have a defective car with only 2300 miles on it; or maybe it's a normal result of having AWD,such as gear lash between the front and rear weels I DONT KNOW!!! someone please let me know, jeffreyc
  • nanasxc70nanasxc70 Member Posts: 1
    Our xc wagon gives a kick when it shifts into high gear on the freeway. We've been having trouble getting the dealer to recognize the problem. Has anyone else experienced this transmission problem? Or have any ideas what may be the problem - I'd like to be more informed before I walk in there to state my case. By the way, an independent mechanic said the transmission was "trashed" but I don't believe it 'cause other than this problem the tranny performs ok. He also said this volvo model is junk and to get rid of it. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
  • mga9400mga9400 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 XC AWD and it just started a similar kick ... and I plan to have it checked out. I would ask around for a respected Volvo mechanic, not necessarily a dealer and get their opinion. Mechanics who call cars junk are usually not in the business of fixing those cars.
  • ttplustqttplustq Member Posts: 1
    Recently had a similar problem with our 2001 xc70 after the 60,000 mile service, only when coming to s stop .
    took it back to Volvo they said there was water in a switch, dried it and put on di electric grease
    good luck
  • xcv70nevragainxcv70nevragain Member Posts: 3
    It may not be a transmission problem. It may be your electorinc throttle. Go to vexedvolvo.org
  • guru1969guru1969 Member Posts: 3
    Our 1999 XC70 did that initially, the dealer supposedly changed the trans. fluid and it seemed to have helped, that was 30,000 miles ago. I occasionally notice it shift a little hard. As far as the car being junk we have had a few problems with ours (one I am going to post to see if anyone has had the same issue) but overall the car has been pretty reliable. We had some issues under the extended warranty that were fixed (maybe $1,500) and have put about $1,000 in to it ourselves (not counting brake pads, etc)
  • benson1617benson1617 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 XC70. Somewhere around 57,000 miles, I started noticing a faint noise when the transmission shifted. Over the previous two months, it gradually become more noticeable. After the 60,000 mile service & transmission fluid replacement, the faint noise became a loud clunk when the transmission shifted. The transmission would also at times not engage when accelerating after a stop or a slow down. The problem only appeared after the car was thoroughly warmed up. The problem continued to worsen both in terms of frequency and severity of shifting. Three days ago, I received a "TRANSMISISON SERVICE REQUIRED" and a "Check Engine Light" from the car's computer.

The Volvo dealer is telling me it could be a bad "sensor." It seems Volvo has extended the warranty on these sensors to 100,000 miles in lieu of issuing a recall. The dealer also says it could be a software upgrade issue. To me, it seems like a mechanical problem with the transmission. It is going into the shop tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • robf12000robf12000 Member Posts: 1
    I too own a 2000 XC with 90,000 miles on it. One of the best autos I have ever owned. No issues at all. Tell your independent mechanic that I know junk (Toyotas,GM,and others) and this is no junk.
  • drtodddrtodd Member Posts: 1
    Deja Vu! My '01 V70 XC (with 96K miles on it) is doing the exact same thing(s) as yours, benson1617. I'm in denial about how serious this could be since I don't currently have $3K or $4K collecting dust in my change dish. I'd much rather spend for performance upgrades than on simply keeping it on the road. That said, I can't afford to develop a bleeding ulcer either, so I suppose I'll have to deal with it soon.

One thing to add to the symptom list: the sporadic "clunk" on downshifting from 2nd to 1st has a distinctive metallic ring to it and feels like hitting a pothole. Neither the delayed, free-spinning upshift from 2nd to 3rd when the car is really well warmed up or the low speed clunk on downshifting to 1st is present all the time.

I'm considering an ATF flush and fill and supplementing the fluid with Lubeguard ATF Protectant (http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html). It may turn out to be snake oil, but there are those who swear by it.

So what was the result of your evaluation of the problem? Do I want to know?
  • sunshiney20sunshiney20 Member Posts: 1
    I would be very interested in this!! We have an 01 XC that has 89K miles already a new motor and the trans is about to go out. We have the ext. warranty, but they are telling us we need a SW upgrade, NOT a new trans. I know good and well that we need a new trans. What can we do?
  • txcarnuttxcarnut Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 XC70, which is experiencing hard downshifts to 1st gear when slowing down. Per the 'dealer' there is an undetectable leak in the radiator (can't be seen, but it is there), which contaminates the transmission fluid, and the contamination has ruined the transmission. Suggested solution is to replace the radiator and the transmission (over $5,000). Note, leak must be really small, as there is no exterior evidence of lost coolant, and the sensors in the car have never reported a low coolant situation.

a) Has anyone heard of this issue? can it be true?
    b) Any suggestions for trouble shooting this problem?

Thanks,

Texas car nut (I have enjoyed my XC70 until now).
  • xcjimxcjim Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 XC70 shifts erratically when you push the accelerator pedal "firmly". This is our third XC, plus one 245GL Turbo, so I am familiar with them.

Last week I was entering the Interstate, going about 35mph, slightly downhill, and pressed the pedal about 3/4 down. The car momentarily accelerated, paused like the igniton was momentarily shutoff, downshifted momentarily, and then shifted back up and then continued to speed-up. This type of activity is more noticeable when I am driving up in the mountains.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced this? Maybe software?
  • jomotojomoto Member Posts: 12
    I heard in another forum that you should take it to your dealer for a reboot or reprograming of the software, and this will solve the problem... I fact mine is 2002, and it seems the issue was not in those cars, nevertheless I can feel the "Clunk" when gearing down from 2 to 1.....Just that I am still scared of the proce I had to pay for ti and would not like to spend a single dollar by now... ;)
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Is there a manual transmission XC70 availible?

Apart from improved mileage, it eliminates most of those transmission problems that some seem to be having.
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    Keep driving it and see if it gets worse. Or take it to a third mechanic, but don't put in a new tranny until you are absolutely certain you need one. What is the state of the transmission fluid? Perhaps just a standard tranny service would remedy the problem. Do you know anything about the history of the vehicle?

It could be a motor mount.

If you put the tranny in low and accelerate, does the condition occur? etc. What happens if you are travelling 50 mph and then give full acceleration? Play around with it. Find the steepest hill you can, stop at the bottom, then accelerate up the hill with low accelerator pressure. What happens?
  • mea2120mea2120 Member Posts: 2
    To answer your ?'s:
    The problem has definitely gotten worse over the last month. I did take the car in and had the trans. fluid drained and refilled. History of the vehicle: purchased used just 6 months ago. Carfax report upon purchase showed no history of trouble. I thought about trading the car in, and when the dealer ran a carfax on the car, a wreck showed up. For some reason, the accident, which occured in 2001, was not reflected until May '06! The report said that it was a front end accident, so that could spell all kinds of trouble.

If I am travelling 50 and accelerate, the car is completely normal. Accelerating at the bottom of a hill does result in some jerking.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Is there a manual transmission XC70 availible?

Apart from improved mileage, it eliminates most of those transmission problems that some seem to be having.

No manual for XC70.

Gas mileage between Volvo's w/ manuals and automatics is almost even. And, you don't have to replace a clutch or spill your latte when shifting!
  • bigwoodenradiobigwoodenradio Member Posts: 10
    Our 2001 XC70 turned 'five' on July 16th. On July 20th, with only 52,000 miles, driving along on the highway, the transmission suddenly 'shifted' into 'neutral'....no response to the gas pedal, down shifting, etc. And, importantly, no idot light and no message displayed. Luckily, and I do mean very luckily, I was able to coast to a stop...turn the car off, start it up, and then pull away in what felt like 'safe mode', a very labored first gear, which revved high, strained, and shifted into second and then, bang, into neutral again. Turn off car. Start car, same thing...a very shaky and repeatedly failing 'limp home' mode that would not allow me to drive faster than 10 mph, and even then it just randomly quit.
    No codes, no idiot lights. Limped about half a mile and parked, needing to shift to reverse to finish parking...no reverse, and then no forward, either. Shut off car, started it, and finally a "Service Transmission Urgent" message. Towed to dealer. Dealer says 'solenoid failure, but we can't reliably tell which one or ones are involved'. Options: 1) replace solenoids for $1,900.00 or 2) replace entire transmission for $3,400.
    No warranty. Volvo Corporate says too bad, so sad, sucks to be you.

5 years, 52K. This car's rear shocks destroyed a set of tires (faithfully rotated), requiring new shocks and a new set of tires. The ignition key tumbler failed and had to be replaced, $450. Now a new transmission for $3,400.

No dealer will give me a decent trade in once they check the VIN# and see the service record. Volvo's corporate customer service won't step up to the plate or acknowledge the serious hazard this sort of failure creates. "Try merging onto an urban expressway or passing on a two lane only to have your car lose all power", I said to the Volvo Corporate Service rep in NJ via phone. "Yeah, that would be bad", he said, "But what do you expect us to do?"

We bought the Volvo for its reputation as a safe, reliable car.
    That's why our next Volvo will be a Subaru.

Apparently, we're not the only XC70 owners who have been endangered and then screwed over by Volvo Coporate and Volvo Dealers. Wonder what they'll do when it gets a family with kids killed?
  • laj36laj36 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 XC70 with 69k miles. Last night driving home from work my car started having issues. The car started fine, put the car in reverse and headed home as usual. Stopped and started at a few lights with no problems. When I went to accelerate from a stop light number 4, the car hesitated and sputtered, hard shifted and then moved on down the road. Next stop light same thing. At the intersection to turn to get on the access road for the free way the engine started to flutter and couldn't tell if the engine was on or not. Decided to pull over in a safe place before getting on the freeway. I decided to back into a parking spot in the event I needed to have the car towed. Put the car in reverse - NOTHING!!!, Put the car in drive NOTHING!!!. No lights during this entire time. Called my mechanic friend and they sent a tow truck.

Mechanic called today... Asked if I had had trouble getting the car started - NO. He had difficulty getting the car started, but it did finally start. Put the car in Reverse and after 1 solid minute the car finally did a hard shift and would move. Then shifted to Drive to get into a bay another solid minute to shift into drive. No lights on indicating any issues with anything. He also asked if I or anyone else had added transmission fluid recently because the level seemed to be high. He was the last person to service my car and at that time all fluid levels were perfect. He hooked up to the computer (non Volvo) no codes of any sort and says the transmission is fine, but obviously something is wrong with the car.

2 months ago the ABS Module went out on the car. The brake and ABS lights would come on intermittently. Finally, driving on the freeway the car suddenly shifted into low while driving 70mph and all the lights on the dash light up. Took it into my friends shop and he could not find anything. Took the car to an independent Volvo shop and they found that the ABS Module was failing. I asked why this ABS Module would cause the car to shift into low and was told that this module could affect different systems on the car. Had the module replace (still under warranty) and had the entire car checked out as my extended warranty would expire on 7/3/06. They said the car was in great shape including the transmission.

A few weeks after having the ABS Module replaced, I received a letter from Volvo on the recall for the Electronic Throttle Module. I have not had that fixed yet, but am wondering if that could be part of the issue that occurred yesterday. Called Volvo today and they said to have the car towed to them and they would take care of the ETM and check the car out to see what the issue is.

I am taking it back to the independent Volvo shop first so the dealership does not try to lie to me about what the real issues are with the car.

I have not called Volvo NA yet with this issue as I want to confirm what the real issue is, but is there a way to find out how many Volvo's have had this same issue and if it might in fact be a defect in the transmission or some other part that should be recalled?? This car has only 62k miles and Volvos are supposed to run forever. That is why I have bought Volvo's in the past.

Have you had the ETM taken care of on your car yet?

Sorry to be on a rant, but I am really not looking forward to car payments again or a large bill for a transmission.

Unhappy XC owner
  • cccobxcccobx Member Posts: 2
    Our transmission began to shift eratically....it would float between shifts then engage hard...never the same way twice. Took it to the dealer who made some software adjustments but really no change just some minor change in shift intervals. So, of course, we took it back with the result being that a new transmission is suggested but also that we could choose to drive it this way for as long as we are comfortable doing so.
    Price for replacement is $3852.00 ouch.
    One thing I found surprising is that there is nothing internally to repair that the only choice is replacement. Is this actually the case?
    The dealer in Maine who replaced our transmission stated that the problems with stuck/malfunctioning solenoids could be 'replaced' separate from the entire tranny, but that they wouldn't guarantee that the entire tranny wouldn't have to be replaced anyway...so, either pay the big fee up front, or pay the smaller ($1,900) fee and THEN still pay the $3400 later.

The 'new' reconditioned transmission downshifts into lowest gear when slowing to a stop
    with a very, very noticeable 'clunk'.

I'd make sure your problems were entirely transmission related and not also tied to the Electronic Throttle problems that are the subject of a class action filing.
  • cccobxcccobx Member Posts: 2
    Thank You appreciate your comments. I am curious....how many miles did you have on the car when you needed to replace your transmission?
    IN response to your question about the ETM, Goodwin's Volvo of Topsham, Maine, where our XC was towed and who replaced the transmission, did the 'software update/upgrade' on the ETM...but did not replace the part...which, apparently, is the source of the ETM problems. The reason stated for not replacing the part(s) and only doing a software download was that the appropriate codes did not appear..YET. Yep, that's what they said..."...,YET". Implies that they KNOW it WILL code in the near future. And they knew we were needing to drive this car from Maine back to Iowa. Do go to the vedex site. There are links there to the class action that was filed in CA.

Also, make sure you keep very accurate records of everything done...and make Volvo Dealers put everything they tell you in writing. Do not let them give you verbal information diagnosing your problem..or upon which you're expected to make a decision regarding repair or replacement...make them put it in writing and keep a record. File a complaint with NHTSA and with Volvo N.A., it's the only way anything will get done on Volvo's dime.
    I originally thought it was 52K...but I was wrong. It was 50,890....so less than 1K over the mileage warranty, and Volvo still refused to acknowledge any culpability.
    2001 XC70, 50,900 miles: Transmission failed by repeatedly slipping into neutral...requiring ignition shut off and restart, which allowed marginal 1st gear driving w/o any acceleration to between 5-10 mph, then, bang, back into neutral. Towed vehicle to dealer (we were 1,200 miles from home). Only fix was to replace with Volvo Certified Reconditioned transmission. $3,400. We paid full price, Volvo N.A. refused to acknowledge any responsibility. "Too bad, so sad, sucks to be you."

Repairs take 2 weeks. Goodwin's Volvo in Topsham, Maine claims 'parts lost in shipment' is what caused 'unusual delay'. Volvo N.A. finds this 'curious' and responds with disbelief that any 'parts were lost in shipment.'

Drive 1,200 miles over 3.5 days. Arrive home in early evening. Next morning,
    drive way is awash with pinkish transmission fluid. No idiot light. Drive car to local mechanic with 35 years of Volvo experience. He says, "Tow to nearest Authorized Volvo Service Center. Do not drive this vehicle. It's leaking transmission fluid too quickly and won't make the drive."

Nearest dealer is 60 miles. Tow will cost $200. We pay tow because 'warranty' on 'reconditioned transmission' does not cover tow.

In less than 2 weeks, 2 transmission failures. And no one, I and mean, NO ONE at any level of Volvo Customer Service is willing to do ANYTHING.

Poorly designed, poorly serviced. I think the reason no one at Volvo is willing to 'stand behind' their work or their products is that they have the well-founded fear that said product will slip out of gear and roll back over them.
    :lemon: :mad: :sick:
  • allysonbenallysonben Member Posts: 1
    On Wednesday, August 23, 2006, with my 2 children in the car, my 2001 Volvo XC70 suddenly shifted into neutral *in the middle of an intersection*. Coasted to a stop, and tried to shift into other gears, to no avail. I turned the car off, then back on, and was able to drive another couple of feet, but then the car stopped accelerating (effectively into neutral again).

Had some assistance in pushing the vehicle into a nearby convenience store; called AAA, and had the car towed to my local Volvo dealership (Noble Mercedes/Volvo in Fredericksburg, VA).

This morning, the Volvo repair representative told me that the car needs a new (Volvo rebuilt) transmission, at a cost of $3569.00. Volvo (upon my request) offered to pay for 75% of the part, and the dealer offered a 10% discount on labor -- but the total is still around $1900.

This car has been dealer-maintained (same dealer as above) on a regular basis since we purchased it. We had just had the Electronic Throttle software download (recall) done 2 weeks ago (after having to have it towed that time, as well).

A car that has been regularly maintained with mostly highway miles should not have its transmission fail after 5 years -- especially in light of the fact that others are having the same problem.

While the incident did not result in an accident, it very well could have, as we were traveling through a very busy intersection.

I just wanted to share this with you all -- I am grateful that I am getting some assistance with this repair, but my gut tells me that Volvo should pay for all of it.

I would be especially interested in hearing from others who have filed reports with NHTSA, Volvo NA, or both.
    The reconditioned transmission we paid $3,496 to have installed after the first failure (at 50,850 miles), itself failed after less than 1,200 miles. We had to have car towed 60 miles to dealer. Dealer stated that the 'reconditioned transmission' supplied by Volvo North America was defective and that our rear main engine seal had also been ruined at the time of install. Volvo North America is replacing the second transmission under warranty. But we will be without a car for two weeks w/o any compensation, same as when the original tranny failed and took nearly two weeks to 'repair'. We're out the $3,496, as well as over $2,000 in car rental fees...and that amount is rising as we still have no fixed date when our XC70 will be repaired. The local dealer here is honest...but they can't get Volvo North America to respond quickly, either.
  • mach3833mach3833 Member Posts: 1
    Luckily I had an extended warranty to replace the transmission. Same signs as everyone else. I lived after being hit and rolled in a 1999 several times and that is why I drive one. How do you even check the transmission fluid in a 2001 v70. Service rep said I need a special tool...
    Reputable dealers and experienced Volvo mechanics would never recommend that you flush/replace the transmission fluid anywhere near 50K miles. There is nothing in the service & maint routines that calls for this. The automatic transmission is NOT a 'servicable' part. When it fails, it needs to be replaced as a unit...not just as a solenoid pack, etc.

Volvo N.A. refused to acknowledge culpability. They could not ship replacement parts in a timely manner. Our 'second' transmission failed and was deemed to have been defective at the time of installation. That was two weeks ago. The dealership contacted Volvo N.A. immediately that a warranteed part was defective and needed to be replaced. Our car was towed to the dealer. Only today was the replacement part 'cleared' by Volvo N.A. to be shipped to the dealership. This means it will take nearly 3 weeks for us to have the repair, under warrantee this time, completed. In the meantime, our out-of-pocket expenses have risen to $7,000. Today, August 30th, was the first time anyone at Volvo N.A. actually returned a call...some 6 weeks and dozens of calls into the entire process.

I think the special tool your Service Rep is referring to here is called a 'Magic Wand'.
  • chiefstonerchiefstoner Member Posts: 14
    our 2004 XC90 T6 just had a new trans put in. 61k miles.
    Seems from transmission shops, the turbo model is known to
    have problems with torque. Volvo offered very little assistance to a very expensive problem.
  • estreedestreed Member Posts: 6
    I have a 02 XC70 in my transmission shop with the problem of the tachometer constantly changing at speeds between 35 and 40 mph only at a constant speed. If you try to accelerate the car the problem goes away. We thought it was the torque converter applying and releasing and we confirmed it my removing the Transmission Control Module and connecting a voltmeter to the lockup solenoid wire to monitor the TCC duty cycle. Sure enough the TCM is constantly changing the amount of current going to the solenoid. Next we checked out the accelerator pedal position sensor by connecting an oscilloscope to both outputs coming from it. Both signals looked good. We have heard that this trans is having lots of trouble with the Valve body wearing out as well as the solenoids going bad.
    The transmission designated the AW55-50 by volvo is essentially the same as the trans used in the 02 and newer Saturn Vue. GM designates this transmission as a AG23/33-5
    I have contacted both Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association and Automatic Transmission Service Group and neither one has seen this problem but they confirmed that the Valve bodies are wearing out. I sent the customer to the dealership to have the latest software installed into the TCM which fixed nothing. I obtained a scan tool(launch X-431) which was able to communicate with the TCM. I was able to watch all the parameters of the solenoids and inputs. I graphed the TCC solenoid current and it was constantly changing from 200 milliamps to 600 milliamps at the 35-40 mph range where I am having trouble. I graphed all the inputs to the TCM to see if there was a glitch in the APPS or one of the speed sensors and they all seemed ok.
    I drove a 2001 XC70 with the same transmission and watched the torque converter solenoid at the same speed. The TCM Sent a constant 600 milliamps to the solenoid until you accelerate quite heavy. This torque converter slips a little at slow speeds similar to GM cars. It is a designed slip so you don't feel the converter apply. After watching the 2001 I know how the system is supposed to work but know I want to isolate the cause and I don't think I can go any further without removing the valve body first to inspect the solenoids and Valve body bores for wear. Any one else having this trouble with their XC70? This vehicle has about 96,000 miles.
    I'm fairly convinced the problem is in either the valve body or the torque converter lining
  • sinjinsinjin Member Posts: 1
    We have a very similar story sans children or tow truck. It was my husband driving the car after the ET software download which was advised by Volvo(1.5 mos ago) had caused noticeable shifting problems. The 1st time the dealer told us it was normal - the ETM Software was adjusting to driving patterns. 2nd time - we got the news our tranny was shot and would only last 5k miles more. 2001 V70 2.4T with 90K miles,most highway driving, excellent condition. They told us that tranny's going out at 90K is very common and :mad: expected. We were floored. We asked about the coincidence btwn the ETM sftware (We had to purchase $200 additional sw to upgrade the transmission last week.)We have filed a complaint with Volvo NA and our dealer McKevitt in Berkeley, CA has declined to help saying it's past warranty. I would have never bought this car if I knew planned obsolescence was at 90K for a transmission. Really, really disappointing. We are already leaning in the direction of never going Volvo again. Not worth it.
  • rover21rover21 Member Posts: 1
    In August, I brought my '99 V70XC (86,000 miles) to the dealer because the "Coolant level sensor" light came on even though I had enough coolant. (The ambient temperature sensor read 125 degrees while I was in stop-n-go traffic). While it was there they installed a "software upgrade".

Over the next several weeks, I noticed what I thought was transmission slippage when going about 35-40 downhill. As that patch of road was rough, I tried to convince myself that's all it was.

Last week, while going up a steep hill, the car would barely accelerate and both the "Check Engine" light and the "Up Arrow" light (indicating "a fault in the automatic gearbox. Contact your Volvo retailer" according to the manual). I brought it to the dealer, they cleared the light, "checked it out", road tested it and couldn't find anything wrong. They said if it happened again, I'd have to spend between "$4,000 - $6,000 for a new transmission".

I didn't drive it again until today. On my way into work, slippage became noticeable after about 15 min of both highway and stop-and-go traffic. The 2 lights came on again. I made it into work where I'm posting this.

After reading some of the above posts, it seems there may be something amiss with that "software upgrade". Does anyone have any advice on what to do now? (Needless to say, I don't have "$4,000-$6,000" sitting around).
  • dixon1edixon1e Member Posts: 6
    We just purchased a 2001 V70 XC and noticed the transmission shifting funny under certain conditions. For example, if I slow down hard, then the car will "thunk" back into gear when I hit the accelerator.

I am very, very interested in your diagnosis, and I think your work method is brilliant, thanks for posting your information, it's extremely helpful. Let me know if I can help in any way.

An open question, having seen posts from others having this problem, is it worth buying the extended warranty on the powertrain for this car? They are asking around $2500. Seems like a bit of a gamble either way...

dcd
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    (Needless to say, I don't have "$4,000-$6,000" sitting around). - Ouch and I bet a 99XC is only worth 10k?

Does anyone have any insight on whether this is a AWD or XC only problem?

I have 90,000 miles on my 99GLT with no problems - but if I was faced with this bill it would likely be retirement. I am willing to put in $500 here and $500 there as the car is like new but major repairs would not be justifiable.
    What are the trouble codes from the trans computer and the engine computer? You paid for them so get them from the dealer. A lot of times when a trans starts to slip after extended driving it indicates the filter is getting plugged.
    But it could be about a 100 other things as well. These filters should never ever get plugged even if you ran it for 500,000 miles, so if it is plugged it indicates the trans is coming apart. Don't worry this is speculation. please find out the codes so we can diagnose further.
  • laj36laj36 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response to my email. The transmission was replaced by an independent Volvo Shop for 3400.00 with a rebuilt Volvo tranny. Called volvo and nothing they would do for me so I didn't let a Volvo dealer rip me off. Tranny has been in for about 5 weeks and today noticed transmission fluid on my dirveway so now the new tranny is leaking. I don't know if I am over sensitive due to the transmission going out, but the newly installed transmission has had a kick to it and still feel like there is another issue going on causing the transmission to fail in my car.

Really love the OLD VOLVO's. Have been a faithful owner for the safety and reliability of these cars, but I have now concluded that this is just a Volvo Body with FORD under the hood. I will miss the safety of the Volvo, but have to wonder if the reliability has changed and if Ford is in financial trouble now, then will they continue with the safety of this line of cars or is it just a FORD all around.

Cleaned out the car today and will be trading in for a Honda Accord next week. Just can't dump any more dimes into this car
  • vengeanceisvengeanceis Member Posts: 9
    hi, nanasxc70

Has the solution to your problem with the "kicks when moving to higher gear" ever been found?

Looks like I've got same problem. Suddenly.

I have 2001 XC70 2.4 with AW5 at 99k. The car has been perfect until last week: when moving from 2nd to 3rd gear it "gives a kick" - pulls badly. This never happened before, shifts used to be very smooth. This started last Saturday without any apparent reason. And this is only on the 3rd gear. Otherwise car performs as usual.

I had maintenance work done on my car two weeks ago though, INCLUDING transmission flush.

Can anyone help?
    Shall I blame the guys who did the oil flush on my tranny?

Any info is greately appreciated.
  • sacco1sacco1 Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to diagnose an intermittent issue with my '01 V70 2.4T. I have read several descriptions about EMT or transmission ailments and wonder if I am experiencing these problems now. There are two distinct symptoms:

1. Occasionally after driving at freeway speeds and then slow at a stoplight, the engine looses its idle. The engine speed will drop below 500 rpm like it is going to stall, then rev back up to 1000, and then back to 500, and so on. As soon as I accelerate, the issue goes away. Occasionally it stalls completely at a stop. A few times the car has stalled at speed (20 to 50 mph).
    2. Downshifts can be rough: when pulling up to a stoplight or other, very occasionally, there is a noticeable vibration as the car downshifts.

Neither of these issues are regular enough to warrant a trip to the mechanic, but I am wondering if this is just a sign of worse things to come...Any help would be great!
  • dewetdewet Member Posts: 2
    I too have a 2001XC70 with gearbox problems. Volvo refused to look at it and would only replace it. Symptoms are gearbox going into Neutral while driving as you try and accelerate after haveing taken your foot off the accelerator pedal. Sometimes on deceleration engaging lower gear with audible "cluck" and jerky gearchange. Problem was also intermittent. Took it to Gearbox specialist who stripped the box and found that one of the bushes had seized and the planetary has to be replaced. Cost of repair South African Rand 20,000 (approx. US $3,000) as opposed to Volvo replacement gearbox for SA R35,000 (US $5,000). Recommend you have gearbox checked by specialist repair shop, as I was given the opinion that driving it can cause further damage. Unless you prefer to replace gearbox through Volvo, in which case you might as well drive it till it breaks!
  • njcarkrazynjcarkrazy Member Posts: 1
    My 01 xc70 just turned to 110k miles. The transmission has be clunking and bucking for about the last 10k miles. I am so fed up with all of the money I have dumped into this car. Its a shame too because its comfortable, looks great and when its running well, gives a great ride. After reading all the previous posts about this tricky transmission problem, I know mine has it bad. I guess its time to give up and turn it in. BUT NOT ANOTHER VOLVO!!! I think Im going for a Toyota or Honda.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Use this discussion to work out any transmission troubles you may be having.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    As part of the forums reorganization, the Volvo XC70 has been separated out into its own group, the Volvo XC70 Group

I've moved posts concerning XC70 transmission problems to the new Volvo XC70 Transmission Issues discussion, and you may continue the discussion in that new location.

Please continue your discussion of the XC70 in that new group. This group and dicussion will now deal solely with the V70.
  • volvodriver1volvodriver1 Member Posts: 4
    How long after the SW download did you begin to have the shifting problems again?

I bought a 2003 XC70 2 months ago and have been experiencing shifting problems that are associated with 1 to 2 gear during heavy acceleration. I just took it in and the dealer told me about the SW download... My thing is the warranty is 5,000 miles from running out and I am afraid this sw download will fix the problem temporarily but then I will be SOL after the warranty runs out.
    Yes it does happen that the transmission cooler inside the radiator does develop an internal leak and will put water into the trans. One obvious sign is that the trans fluid will look like a pink milkshake. When you get water into the trans it causes the glue on the clutches to delaminate and fall off the metal plates they are bonded to. I have seen water damage in the trans without seeing the pink milkshake color too. So if it looks pink it is for sure water but if you have a small amout of water it may not turn pink but cause clutch damage.
  • ebebebeb Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone find out what the cuase of the slipping was, it's happening to my 02 xc70? please help!
  • davesn1davesn1 Member Posts: 7
    We all seem to have the same problem - slipping, surging whatever...

The Throttle Recall hasn't solved it... Anyone with any success stories?

Software re-installed? New modules? Transmission replacement?

New owner of 2001 XC70 w/ 58,000 miles - same symptoms - no one seems to know what to do - my independent mechanic thinks I should have the transmission software re-installed... Then perhaps have the Throttle and or Transmission modules (if I'm not mistaken here) replaced.

Thanks for any stories in advance.
  • davesn1davesn1 Member Posts: 7
    Did you find anything out either from the board or from taking it into the shop? We're having the same issues on our 2001...
  • jbhstarjbhstar Member Posts: 1
    We had problems with 2001XC 70 from about 55K and just before owning the car for 5 years. Hard shifts and clunking sounds during shifts frequently occured.

A computer program was run to fix it, but the fix didn't last more than a week.

Transmission fluid was replaced, but that didn't fix it.

Was told to "watch it."

At 75K, transmission was replaced for about $3200. Still some problems after driving for 2K miles more, both in town and on highways. Supposedly, problems would "smooth out" after about 2k-3k miles of driving. Intermittent hard shifting from 2nd to 1st when deaccelerating. Never had this with brand-new car, so very suspicious that it would happen with a "new" transmission.

After reading Consumer Reports info about Volvo 2001 XC transmission info, I steeled myself and complained to my local service shop and Volvo of North America.

Went to "main" service shop of three-dealer business and left car for head of service to drive to duplicate the problem for himself. They still would not acknowldge that problem wouldn't go away over time, but they are replacing my transmission as I type. Sounds like an acknowldegment of a problem to me. :lemon:

I am going to pass on new Volvo ownership for the forseeable future, even though our first Volvo did what it was supposed to do -- i.e., saved our lives!!! Maybe I'll reconsider when Volvo comes out with a hybrid and has ironed out the kinks of that kind of a car.