Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Sunfire Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• blufire04blufire04 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if a aftermarket air ride kit for a 95-99 Chevy Cavalier will bolt directly on to a 03-05 Pontiac Sunfire">
  • tvanriktvanrik Member Posts: 1
    :shades: "but luckily we found that you have to reset the anti-theft passcode by doing a long series of key turns to program the new password for the new computer"

We've been having the exact same problem with my daughter's car. Replacing item after item. Thanks so much for sharing your solution, we are going to try it next.
    Can you tell me where to get those key turn codes? I have had no luck trying to find them myself. You can email me at tvanrik@yahoo.com thanks!
  • roofdr911roofdr911 Member Posts: 2
    the TCC solenoid has been a problem on GM vehicles for years. i had a 94 cavalier with the same problem. you should be able to unhook the wire and see if that fixes it. if it does, that was the problem.
  • roofdr911roofdr911 Member Posts: 2
    that still sounds like the TCC solenoid. mine would stay in gear and jerk violently when i slowed down and when i tried to start it. once i unhooked the wire to the valve, i never had another problem.
  • harvey1963harvey1963 Member Posts: 1
    try looking at the fuel filter then clean your injectors.It could be some other things but check them first
  • tdmsrtdmsr Member Posts: 1
    my brother has a pontiac with a starting problem after shutting it off. has to leave the ign. key on for 10-15 min. to reset the comp. anti-theft comp. per his mech. is there a way to disarm this system or how can we fix it the battery runs down because the lights stay on while the ign. switch is in the on position, he has to use a wheel chair and walker to get around I realy need your help. Thanks Terry
  • tarheeltomtarheeltom Member Posts: 7
    Have a '98 Sunfire Convertible with about 140,000 miles. This car has run great for the last 100,000 miles, with the only problems being door electric window actuator and switches, and similar problems.

For the last year or so, the car has occasionally hesitated to accelerated, or tried to die at idle, especially after being started warm. Used to be able to cure this, it seemed, by putting in neutral and revving up the engine a bit.

Lately, this has suddenly become a daily occurrence, and it now occasionally shows the check engine light. Every thing else seem normal. Took it to a shop and it showed only a "rich" code.

Okay, experts. Anyone got any ideas?
  • carsonscarsons Member Posts: 3
    i started my sunfire with the alt plug unpluged, shut the car off tried to start it and all it does is turn over. it has spark and gets gas, im wondering if i set off the anti theft system. is there a way to reset the computer or anti theft system?
  • jaco0062jaco0062 Member Posts: 8
    hi
    id check the egr vavle i think. Mabye its stuck open giving u the rich code.
  • tarheeltomtarheeltom Member Posts: 7
    Took it to a new shop in town, with high recommendations. The young mechanic had won a national troubleshooting competition. He had the car back out in the parking lot in less than 10 minutes, having replaced a cracked vacuum hose.

Turns out his dad had won the Plymouth national troubleshooting competition in 1974 also. Guess trouble shooting runs in the family. :)
  • jack1959jack1959 Member Posts: 1
    read on one of your fixes you gave someone key turn how to do could you send me email on how to do this ive tried all kinds of things start some time and not other times thanks forward to peachstateboi please
  • mike435mike435 Member Posts: 1
    my sons 99 sunfire cranks but does not start. he has changed the fuel filter and pump but when he turns the key on there is no fuel pump running. where should he go from here?
  • carsonscarsons Member Posts: 3
    it might have jumped time, thats what happend to mine
  • nbroadfootnbroadfoot Member Posts: 1
    got gas came home, car will turn over but won't start now, no other problems.
  • mizzl3ytchymizzl3ytchy Member Posts: 1
    After reading every one else's problems, I can relate.

My 98 Sunfire was running perfectly fine. On Christmas Eve, pulled up to a red light on the Boulevard and it stalled. After 15 mins of investigation, hit the ignition switch and it magically started. Went to Advance Auto, they put a computer on it to read my computer and it said that the CrankShaft A Sensor was bad. Bought one just in case for later replacement. Had no problems the rest of the night, finished my Christmas shopping and all was well.

3 days later began to "sputter, rear and jerk" while I was driving it. Got it to the garage and replaced the CrankShaft A Sensor.. Worked fine didn't seem to have a problem whatsoever.

Yesterday, it made it 6 miles and just shut off. Started again, made it another 3 miles and that is exactly where it sat. The garage put the computer on it again, and it said that it was the crankshaft sensor. In the meantime, after cranking on it to attempt to get it started the starter went out.

The starter was put on, the cam sensor replaced drove it home... didn't make it but 4 miles and it shut off again... Same problem! To cover all bases, replaced the Coil pack module this time.

So with this being said, the Crankshaft Sensor, the Cam Sensor, the Starter, and the Coil Pack Module have been replaced.

It seems when the temperature begins to go up to normal running temp, it starts this. When it's cold it works fine.

So, what now? Any suggestions, besides junking it???
    :sick:
  • onelexonelex Member Posts: 2
    im glad ur car got fixed! im having similar problems,i changed the fuel pump,iac sensor,map sensor and the crank sensor,replaced the all hoses that where cracked or just not looking good! i took the spark plugs out cleaned them,had the ignition module checked it was good! changed the fuel pressure regulator,put the original radio back in the car,the radio is working. i tried to start it up and it feels like it has more strengh but it still wont start!! what is going on i cant keep guessing! and if i could i dont know what else to do! doc can you help? i have a 1996 pontiac sunfire gt...
  • onelexonelex Member Posts: 2
    look at ur car book if u have one if not look up pontiac and there is a way to unlock the radio and keep it unlocked it just has to deactivated,or u can call pontiac the can connect you to a tech tat will help u!!
  • sand1trapsand1trap Member Posts: 1
    Did you have any luck with this? Believe it or not...same exact problem and the mechanic replaced the same things except the starter....No idea what to do next...Amazing...
  • 19amy8219amy82 Member Posts: 7
    Some of y'all might be interested in this, as I posted about it awhile back- this is the instructions direct from the manufacture in relation to the anti-theft reset problem I had- and everyone else has probably run into by now. You can go back and see how long ago we fixed my problem. I'm up to 177,000 miles now and I love my car!!! I wouldn't take anything for it at this point... now only if the driver side window was still working! :)

--- Here's the instructions ---

In order for a theft deterrent vehicle to run, a password is communicated between the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and the PCM. If a PCM (ECM) is replaced, the new PCM (ECM) needs to learn the correct password of the vehicle. When the new PCM is installed, the EEPROM calibration is flashed into the new PCM and the vehicle will learn the new password upon initial ignition ON. If the IPC is replaced, the PCM needs to learn the new password from the PC. The password learn procedure is as follows:

Attempt to start vehicle, then leave the ignition ON. The THEFT SYSTEM telltale will flash for 10 minutes .
    When the THEFT SYSTEM telltale stops flashing, start the vehicle. Once the vehicle is running, the password is learned.

* Just my observation here, it's really going to be beneficial to have your factory radio installed to do this, as I don't know if you could even tell what's going on without it and its red flashing anti-theft light. By now it's just a couple extra steps to take your aftermarket out, put your factory back in, then once this reprogram is done, you can put your aftermarket back in.
    I will also tell you- I was uneasy installing an aftermarket radio after all the problems we had, but the key is a high quality wiring harness for your Pontiac. My 2000 Sunfire was the first year Pontiac went to this new fangle idea of putting the "brain" of the car inside the factory radio. So, where a lot of folks can go to Wal-Mart and get one for $10 I didn't have that luxury. I can say with all the confidence in the world to go with the Pac-Audio "Radio Replacement" (as they now call it) It's the only one that "Maintains a "healthy" status on the Class II databus" aka tells your PCM (ECU) that all is good. These items are costly ($100ish)- in fact they might cost more than the aftermarket radio itself, but don't make the same mistake I did and get a cheapo version- that's what caused my $1,000+ headache in the first place. And go ahead and google replacing your factory radio with a new factory radio, and be prepared for a real shocker! Currently, I can gladly say I've been using my aftermarket radio with my Pac-Audio piece now for months without any kind of issue what-so-ever. I'm not affiliated with this company, but I really should be. I will say I keep my factory radio in the trunk of my car just in case my aftermarket would ever be stolen, as I don't know if these cars would even run without the radio in there or not!

Good luck to all- and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask away! :shades:
    I'm going tell you, I would seriously consider getting a new ECM (computer) and checking out my post below on the key-turn dance you have to do for the anti-theft reset.

Salvage yards might be a good starting point- I got my replacement at the Pull-A-Part for $32ish, O Reilly was able to flash it for me for $75, so one more $100 was annoying yes, but it turned out to be what fixed it for me.

You could also get the whole package at O Reilly, and I think it was less than $200 for the computer (ECM) that was already flashed for my car.

See just putting the factory radio back in didn't cut it for us, because the damage had already been done to the computer. Looking back, it was pretty obvious that something was going to be squirrely with this by the sheer fact that Best Buy wouldn't sell me any radio install parts, for fear of lawsuit.

Out of all the things my husband changed, poked, prodded, replacing the ECM was by far the easiest, so you shouldn't have any trouble swapping it out.

Good luck with it- let me know if it this helps!!!
  • egionetegionet Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 sunfire sedan. i just did a long road trip from canada to florida. didn't have problems before. but now my car has problems starting cold and doesn't real speed up when pressing the gas. the engine light is on. the motor still runs quit but u can hear the sputter from the tail pipe and my motor shakes. i had already changed the spark plugs and wire harness. it ran great the whole drive. just the next morning i started having that trouble. what can it be...?
  • watherman13watherman13 Member Posts: 1
    Yes i have had my 96 sunfire do the same thing found out it to be the PCM i replaced it and all my troubles went away (its located on the passenger side in the wheel well)
    Seriously, I would go with the ECM/PCM theory first. Don't be afraid of this, because dealers will make you think it will cost a fortune to get one.
    Not true, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-Pontiac-Sunfire-Engine-Computer-ECM-Programm- ed_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a72ce64aQQitemZ230438004298QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT- ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    $83 shipped on ebay, and already flashed to your vin number.
    It's very easy to replace compared to the countless other items we tried fixing first.
    Once you get it, you need to follow these instructions:

In order for a theft deterrent vehicle to run, a password is communicated between the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and the PCM. If a PCM (ECM) is replaced, the new PCM (ECM) needs to learn the correct password of the vehicle. When the new PCM is installed, the EEPROM calibration is flashed into the new PCM and the vehicle will learn the new password upon initial ignition ON. If the IPC is replaced, the PCM needs to learn the new password from the PC. The password learn procedure is as follows:

Attempt to start vehicle, then leave the ignition ON. The THEFT SYSTEM telltale will flash for 10 minutes .
    When the THEFT SYSTEM telltale stops flashing, start the vehicle. Once the vehicle is running, the password is learned.
    -
    There's a good chance this is the problem, and if it is it's really a simple fix, we've all just be taught to think "car computer problems" must mean spending a fortune on fixing!

Good luck- let us know!
  • monaemonae Member Posts: 1
    Until 2 weeks ago my Sunfire ran great (almost 30 MPG) and gave me no problems. It has less than 70,000 miles (25K more than when I bought it 1 1/2 ago). Twice it acted like it was starting, not hesitating cranking sounds, but nothing happened. It was like I hadn't turned the key. Then last week after making a turn it just died. On the third try, it started and drove fine the 7 miles home. I took to my mechanic and after 45 miles, several starting and ideling for 30 minutes, they could find nothing. Oil and fuel pressures perfect. All connections fine. I drove less than 1.5 miles and it died again. And again started on second or third try. I have been told everything from fuel pump to short in the car somewhere. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • trpd5trpd5 Member Posts: 1
    I would check for bad wiring down by your PMC
  • vickiecvickiec Member Posts: 3
    it was running fine yesterday quit today Help
    It was running good , So I thought it just will not start today I dont know what could of happend over night but it did.. I am A single mom with one car if some one could Help I would be Thankful..
    some one said it could be the brain is that true...
  • sanjivkumarsanjivkumar Member Posts: 1
    i parked my lastnight and when i started today morning it is not getting started. i tried jumper cable ,if my battery is not good but didnt work. Gas tank is half full.
    can anybody help me? i really dont know ABCD of Auto.
  • jkoch1971jkoch1971 Member Posts: 1
    The main problem is we have now replaced the Catalytic Converter 2 times now in this care. One time in Dec 2008 and just today. You can be driving the car and all of a sudden it starts to spudder then will shut off, the weird thing is it will start right back up? We had to have the Catalytic Converter replaced this time so it would pass inspection, we were told that since engine light was on and computer said this was the problem it had to be done to pass inspection. Has anyone else out there have problems with 2000 Pontic Sunfire? If you did please let me know what you did to fix this. We are about ready to get rid of this money pit soon. We only drove it about 1200 miles in the last 2 years.
  • tremorztremorz Member Posts: 2
    yesterday my 03 sunfire started sounding a bit gurgly when at an idle, to it down the highway and it performed well. At the bottom of the exit ramp heard the gurgly and a bit of a jerky motion will sitting with the brake applied, reached my destination in less then a mile and there was no clearing out the gurgle and the slight jumping it was doing , and yes i could see it in the rpm gauge it almost never bounces , but it was slightly.\r\ngot back in it an hour later and the low idle gurgle and jumping was still there took it back down the highway and performed just fine, same issues at the next exit. took it home and had another person move it for me and it was progressivly worse, had a neighbor look at it and we listened to the engine, sounds fine under the hood, but not in the cab, he suggested that it go on a machine and see if any codes are coming up on it , no dash lights appeared .
    decided to move it up on the driveway , which has a slight incline to it and as i was backing it up it stalled out. now it will not start at all , but cranks over like it wants to. i had no choice but to drag it down to an auto shop and have it put on a computer this morning and no codes are coming up on it and no dash lights are coming on, no check engine, oil, etc...it appears from the computer check and my problem guages that it has no issue, but will not start, and yes there is over half a tank in it. not sure where to go next from here ??!!?? the plugs were found to be fouled out and were replaced but still will not turn over.... :confuse: any ideas?
  • alwayszebraalwayszebra Member Posts: 1
    I have this 2002 sunfire which was sitting for about 6 months. I put some gas in it as well as some gas tank cleaner stuff. Then I charged the battery because it was dead, and turned it over fine. Got insurance for it about 5 days later and then went to turn it over and nothing, so I checked the battery eye and it was dead. I bought a new battery yesterday and it turned over just fine, I ran it for about 10 minutes and even drove it down the street. I turned it off and 1 minute later turned it back on no problem. I went upstairs for about 45 minutes and came down to go get dinner and nothing, it wouldn't turn over the dash lights were all blinking dully and then I noticed the light switch was on. So I turned it off and turned the switch off and tried again, but I still didn't hear the fuel pump engage nor did the starter click at all. Even if the lights were left on for 45 minutes there is no way in hell the battery should be dead it is brand new. When I turn the key I get nothing at all now. Can someone please help me as I have no idea what to do?????? :mad: :cry: :sick:
  • cpeliscpelis Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    i have a 95 pontiac sunfire 2.2L 5 speed manual that needs an exhaust. I have had problems with it idoling funny and extra loud when it is hot outside. it also spudders and shakes when im driving like it is running out of gas. i just replaced the fuel filter and no luck. sometimes if i excellerate very slowly it wont do the shaking and spuddering.... any ideas whats wrong???
  • therockatmsutherockatmsu Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire that stalls when the outside temperature gets to high. It is a 2.2L, 5 speed, with 235,000 miles. I have had a computer plugged up and only saw a misfire on the codes. I have replaced all plugs, wires, and coil packs. The engine runs perfect until the temperature outside gets hot, maybe 80 or better. During winter months it is fine and at night also. It is a very strange mystery. When it stalls it trys to keep running but it sounds like a engine that is choking down. When you cut it off and let cool for 10 min or so it will crank and run fine till it warms up again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • dulinaadulinaa Member Posts: 10
    Sounds electrical. Does the car just stall the engine, or cut all power completely? The heats causing an open circuit somewhere. with the high miles, i would check for any engine control relays(i.e ignition, injection, ECU, main) and replace them, fairly cheap. Is the Check Engine light on? Scan it. After that, a possible sensor is breaking down from the heat, take it to a trained professional. worst case is the Engine Control Unit is malfunctioning.
  • jeffs47jeffs47 Member Posts: 2
    First the battery light, then the abs light, then the gauges going crazy, then the stall, a new battery and 2 good hours before the final shutdown. Is it an ecm or an oxygen solenoid sensor, or should I warm up the bike?
  • jeffs47jeffs47 Member Posts: 2
    I've had the same problems. Who knows how to do the antitheft key turns? Can it be disabled? How much does it cost. Too cheap to buy a new car.
  • ladyvicladyvic Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 pontiac sunfire with a little over 50,000 miles on it. About a month after I got it, which was at about 5,000 miles, The ABS, Trac light and service light started coming on. Took the car in at least 15 times, the only problem they found was the wheel sensor. Still having the same problem til this day. The car will sometimes sputter or shut off when backing up while turning the wheel. Nobody can seem to find the problem. I'm tired of paying $40.00 each time for diagnostics. Also if I slam on the brakes which happened to me twice, the brakes seem to act like they're not in the right position as I feel it thru the pedal. I don't know what to do anymore about it.. of course the warranty is over... Please help someone :cry:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Ladyvic,
    I apologize that you are still experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage, contact info and dealership so I can look into this further? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • sam1971sam1971 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2 door 1999 sunfire which I just replaced both oxygens sensors only to still have the same problem, Rums like a charm till you go to take a turn ot apply the break. then shuts off. sometime you can smella burning smell like coolant and the temp gauage goes up and the ets light comes on before stalling. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
  • jamn4kidsjamn4kids Member Posts: 1
    I just got out of the hospital. the abs or something withthe breaks is messed up sometimes they will click and i have to hit them a few times to work. about 3 weeks ago the weather was fine. coming up on a stop sign i pressed the breaks and it was like i was on ice. there was clicking ten i hit the breaks 4xs before it would work. well i had the car fixed. it scared the kids half to death. i paid $800 to get the body fixed but no problems were found with the breaks. me ans 2 of the kids just got out of the hospital. i hit the break 4 or 5 times and the didnt work at al then the car started jurking real bad right before we slammed into a truck and was taken to the hospital. now the car is probally totaled. im on work comp we have 9 kids now with no car and no chance of getting a loan bc my credit jackedup w unpaid dr bills from work comp. any ideas on the breaks. a lot of the time tracking and abs lights will pop on
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Jamn4kids,
    I apologize that you had an accident. Can you please email me your contact information, dealership, VIN, mileage and best time to contact you? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • yoyo126yoyo126 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    I have had my 2005 Pontiac Sunfire automatic coupe for five years. This car has never given me an issue until now. My car will start up then all of a sudden looses power. I do this a few times and again stalls looses power. After so many times it will start up and stay on. My mechanic says there is nothing wrong with it. He replaced the spark plugs and put it up on the diagnostic test and nothing came up. I drive back and fourth to work about 40 miles on MAss pike and it has stalled twice. I stalled this morning and when I tried to turn the steering wheel to get out of traffic it locked up. I turned the car off and turned it back on and drove to work. There is this noise coming from the front of my dash board where the steering wheel is and my passenger side windshield wiper does not want to work. My mechanic again said nothing wrong with it...anyone have any suggestions :mad: :(:cry:
  • yoyo126yoyo126 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue with my 05 sunfire. my mechanic says nothing wrong after I replaced spark plugs and all filters and oil change. has stalled on me twice on highways.
  • cspicercspicer Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully some1 can help me with this, ill be driving down the road and my car will just stop going,it will not stall out really but ill pump the gas a few times and it will start going again..it does it everyday for the last 4 days..It did stall once this morning on my way to take my kids to school n almost got t-boned...just need to know what it could possibly be so i can get it fixed! thanx
  • forgottenforgotten Member Posts: 1
    Have a 00 sunfire 2200. ran fine aside from a bit of flooding it seemed in the morning, but cleared up within 3 blocks. parked car that night, next morning i tried to start it and the bendex was deflecting off the flywheel. replaced starter, now engine turns over, recieves fuel, sparks fine, but never starts. after releasing the key it sometimes seems to attempt to backfire. replaced crankshaft position sensor to no avail. need some help, I can't afford to just keep randomly replacing parts, I need a bit of direction. Car also suffers from the clunky brakes and the headlight flickers. I loathe this thing but it's all I have right now. Thanks :lemon:
  • xxtonealxxxxtonealxx Member Posts: 1
    did you ever figure out what the popping was in the front end. this has been a good car and i just spent 400 dollars on a new axle and "nubber" that apparently no other car has to have and it still did not fix the popping when i put it into gear. my mechanic is a good friend and wouldnt lie to me but he told me he never has heard a pop like this. he wants me to drive it til he can get some answers on the net about what it may be but i found this site and figured it wouldnt hurt to ask around myself. i dont want to just drive it til it finally breaks something and cost hundreds of dollars so if u got any answers on that could u please send them my way
  • jaylaljaylal Member Posts: 1
    hey all,
    I've got a 2000 sunfire gt 2.4L 5spd. It's been acting up on me for the past month and has been bad (stalled a couple times) the last couple weeks. The car starts without any problems and idles fine. I can apply pressure to the gas pedal and RPM rev's ok (while in neutral). Once i release the clutch while in gear however, there is a great loss in power, almost to the point where it will stall on me. This happens for about the first 30 seconds of starting the vehicle then afterwards it's fine and there are no issues. It happens everytime i start the vehicle. It has stalled on me a couple times during startup. I've brought to the mechanic, computer said O2 sensors were faulty and they have been changed. Fault continued, I brought it back to the same mechanic and now they suggest it may be the MAP sensor. Anyone else have or had this issue and may know what it is?
  • vonrohr1968vonrohr1968 Member Posts: 1
    Similar problem with my 2003 Sunfire as well. My ex-wife bought the car as a demo and it was doing it to her for 5 years. She took it in mutiple time and it was always the same answer, they couldn'r duplicate the problem. Kind of funny becuase i bought the car from her and have the problem daily. Car will lose idle below 400 rpm, then stall, or rev at 1400 rpm and return to base curb idle. She go so fed up with the problem that she sold the car to me. Toyota is having some safety related concerns and it has hit the press big time. Funny how many people are having similar problems with the Cavaliers/Sunfires and not even a silent recall or service bulletin on this problem. Maybe no one has been injured or died becuase of it yet. My ex-wife was so fed up with GM and this car she bought a Honda....and loves it. I haven't done any serious troubleshooting on this car yet, I was hoping some one on the net might have figured it out by now, but it seems many peole are just trying to live with it becuase the GM dealers can't even seem to figure it out. There is a definite link to my stalling/reving problem to the travel speed of the car. As soon as the speedo reaches zero, the slow idle tries to correct itself, or the fast reving idle slows down. Seems unrelated, but I have checked it over and over again and the care always responds to or chages when the speedo reaches zero. I can coast the car and it will either high rev, or try and stall with the clutch pushed in and just coasting until the car slows to almost zero. This has been tested at different speeds and durations.....odd I know. I have no explination. I can only guess that the speed of the car is being reported to the PCM, abd the PCM then adjusts the idle speed. Not shur of the reason or if it is supposed to be doing this. Apparently either does GM when they can't repair the car or diagnose it. I was originally thinking fuel pump, until it was caught reving, then I though mass air flow sensor....no chance so far....thermostat....nope. So far I can only suspect the PCM.

I wish GM had a call center so at least we could call and get some engineering expertise to help troubleshoot.

I'll post If I solve the problem.

Cheers

Daniel Rohr
  • ctorrctorr Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 sunfire would stall uphill or on the highway at high speeds. I would have to steer the car to the emergency lane. After finding nothing wrong with my car I was suggested to change the gasoline filter. Until now no problems. Check it out, its a cheap fix.