Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    Lanny3:
    I had originally posted that I also had a grinding sound when occasionally starting the engine, and today it happened when shifting from park to drive. I notice that it happens mostly when the car has been not started in over a day. Actually that is the only time that it has ever happened.
    I brought it into the dealers shop, and they seemed very interested in what I had told them, but they could find no problems. If you bring it in, and they do find a problem, please post it, so that I have something more to go by. Thanks!!
  • lanny3lanny3 Member Posts: 4
    lsgl

I will post if I find out anything about the noise.

Mine also has only made the noise when it has been started after sitting for a day or so.

Also it has only happened three times and I noticed the last two times it was rainy...very humid...I don't remember about the first time it happened...maybe a clue?
  • naugstar2000naugstar2000 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all:

Anyone else with power doors having difficulty with their shutting completely on their own?

Our 2000 was driven by the "dealer's wife" for 1K mi prior to our purchasing it and that was one flaw the sales person and ourselves noticed on delivery. We were told a part had been ordered. Five weeks later, we called the dealer and scheduled the service. Got it back today. Door was "adjusted" but the problem remains.

Our own diagnosis shows that the door does fine anytime the van is NOT completely level. Otuside our garage (on an incline) it closes fine. Inside the garage (on a level plane) it closes and backs itself out an inch or so. Enough to keep the interior lights on and the door ajar readout lit.

Requires a firm push by hand defeating the purpose of the buttons.

Curious to knwo if anyone besides the guy in the Toyota Sienna topic area is experiencing the same.

Thanks in advance. Need dealer service confrontation ammo.
  • valerietvaleriet Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 99Windstar in October. At first, the gas mileage was good--27mpg. After about 2,000 miles, it dropped to 20. Now with 9,900 miles on it--the gas mileage is 15-16mph. Dealer says nothing is wrong. Also, there is quite a bit of vibration at 62mph. Any solutions or same situation??? Thanks. P.S. Driving conditions are unchanged.
  • stevendstevend Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem when I took delivery of my 2000 SEL. All it took was just one adjustment and I have never had the problem again (12K miles now). I would recommend another person in the body shop try the adjustment.
  • yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    We had a windstar for 3 and a half years and averaged about 17 mpg the whole time. 27 is pretty amazing.Something was probably wrong then!
  • pencilpusherpencilpusher Member Posts: 7
    I have a '98 GL and get around 23 on the highway, around 17 in the city.
  • amp3amp3 Member Posts: 3
    Currently looking at a WindstarLX---been reading all the troubles w/gaskets, buzzing sound, transmission, etc...Reliability has been a past problem for these vans, but people still seem to love them. Can anyone recommend a 2000 or tell me any positive things about having a Windstar?? I know the Odyssey is better, but the wait around here is 6 months, and you can't beat the 0.9% financing for the Windstar!! Help!
    I have seen almost nothing positive about any Windstar or Ford for that matter. Does anyone have a good story to share, or should I stay completely away from Ford and the infamous Windstar???
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    on one simple condition. It would have to be
    manufactured by someone other than Ford. I love
    the size and ride - But if you have a problem, Ford is, without question, the most difficult
    automobile manufacturer to deal with. Further, and this is just my experience, but it seems to me
    that Ford dealer service is very expensive compared to the service I have had with my Mazda,
    Oldsmobile, Nissan, or Saturn.

As an example of what I meant... if Nissan would take the Windstar body (they already have a relationship with Ford in the Villager) and put in their own engine and and transmission, that would be very attractive...

Just my 2 cents...
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • zim5zim5 Member Posts: 5
    Greetings Everyone. I have been shopping for a
    van for the last two months and have looked at
    the Mazda MPV, Grand Caravan and Windstar. During
    my search, a neighbor on mine mentioned that a
    friend of hers was looking to sell her 98' Windstar LX. At first I wasn't interested in buying a used vehicle, but then I learned the
    history of this particular Windstar. The owner
    had purchased the vehicle new early in 1998.
    Nine months later he became very sick and had to
    go into the hospital. Unfortunately, he passed away three months ago. He rarely drove the van
    after he became ill, and the van has only 11,000
    miles on it. This van also has every option that was available for that particular model year. I saw the original window sticker and the MSRP was over $32,000. After some negotiation, we agreed on a price of $16,000. I know I got a good deal,
    but after reading most of the posts regarding reliability, I want to head off any problems before they become major headaches. I've had the van for two weeks and I notice that when I accelerate ( such as merging onto a highway) their
    is a vibration coming up through the gas pedal. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Also, if any 98 LX owners have experienced problems or practice any type of special preventative maintanance, I would appreciate any advice. I love the way the Windstar rides and the roominess, but I just want to make sure I made the right choice. Also, I should mention that the original owner bought an extended warranty which is transferable,
    so at least I'm covered for another three years.
    Thanks for your help!
  • I have a 98 Windstar, 51k. Other than the stalling problem at slow turning speeds (taking care of easily and a tsb is out on this), I have had no problems. The Windstar had the best stereo, AC, and most comfortable seats of all the vans we drove in 1998. I change the oil every 3K and strongly urge xmission fluid replacement every 30K. Still have same tires and brakes. Some of these engines have had timing chain covers dripping antifreeze. I would keep an eye on the garage floor or have your mechanic watch for this when your miles get a little higher. Don't know if there is any preventative maintenance for this. Maybe the radiator sealers may prolong the gasket replacements if you ever see antifreeze on the ground. The van rides extremely smooth at highway speeds and 3 to 4 hours at the wheel is not very tiring. Good luck.
  • yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    I don't think preventive maintenance helps with the Junkstar.we had all the recommended services done by the dealer and yet by 40,000 miles we were on our 2nd transmission, the check engine light kept on coming on,brakes had been replaced several times,speedometer replaced,tie rods,ABS light etc etc.I wouldn't put my family in another ford if they gave it to me.
    After a lot of debate, my husband and I finally chose an Odyssey. It is so much nicer and bigger than the Windstar, it is unbelievable. If you drove both, there would be no question. Plus, with the bad Ford service and reliability record of the Windstar, vs. the outstanding record of Honda and the Odyssey, it is a no brainer.
  • smithmj1smithmj1 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a (loaded) 98 Windstar GL new in Nov 97 and now have 54K miles on it. We bought it for the 5 star crash test rating and the 200 HP engine. Here are the problems we've had to fix. Stalling problem caused by a bad Air Idle Control Valve, loose upper motor mounts caused a banging under the floorboards, fuel mixture was too rich causing soot near the tailpipe and a power steering pump which failed at 43K. Everything was fixed under warranty except the power steering pump which Ford charged me $100 of the $264 bill since I was just out of warranty. We replaced the tires at 50K with Uniroyal Tiger Paw Nail Guard tires (80K mileage warranty). Got them for $264 (sale price and after the $40 rebate), plus they gave me a nice umbrella and a tire gauge. I still can't believe the deal. Anyway, I'm looking to replace the Windstar because the mileage is getting high and the value is dropping rapidly. I was interested in the Odyssey until I read all the problems with the transmission, power and manual doors, pulling to the side etc. I think my best move is to make no move at all. I believe (hope)the bugs are out of the Windstar now and the way I take care of my vehicles, the van should last a long time. I use Mobil 1 synthetic, 5w-30 every 5-6K miles (Mobile 1 used to advertise 25K between oil changes). I've also done the total evacuation and refill of the trans fluid at Precision Tune at about 40K miles. This was 20K miles after the Ford dealer changed the fluid by only dropping the pan (they lied and said it would be a total evac and refill) My wife loves her van and I think one reason we are happy is we took a thorough test drive before we bought it. We experienced no engine noise problems, no pulling to the right, or other noted problems. I think the other part is just luck. I've bought lemons in the past too. So far the Windstar is worlds better than the 92 Mazda MPV we sold in 95. I would consider buying another Windstar even with the problems mentioned. I'll never own another Mazda.
  • nohornnohorn Member Posts: 5
    All of you out there with pinging problems on 1999 and maybe 1998, 2000 Windstars listen up! There is a solution which is probably associated with a generic intake manifold design problem, admitted by Ford. My problem, originally described in problem #51 is finally solved. There were two basic problems. First of all, the vacuum control module to the EGR valve was defective, resulting in exhaust gas recirculation when not required; however, replacing it did not solve the pinging problem, although it may have accelerated the real problem which was "carbon-clogged ERG passages in the intake manifold". Apparently, this clogging causes the PCM to lean out the fuel mixture, resulting in pinging. According to my dealership, Ford phased in a design modification to the intake manifold sometime during the 2000 model year which makes it less prone to carbon-clogging. After my intake manifold was relaced(on the sixth visit to the dealer)the pinging problem was history. I sure hope it doesn't occur again in 15K-20K miles. Anyway, Ford is definitely aware of this problem so don't let your dealer smoke-screen you with double talk about "bad gas", "use high octane", "it's normal...all cars ping", or "just learn to live with it". Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!
  • zigsterzigster Member Posts: 2
    We did the hgasket replacement on our 95 windstar about 3 months ago and were reimbursed by Ford. The van ran ok and so we loaded up the van and the small 900 poud pop-up trailer for a camping trip this last weekend. As we crested the mountain pass the engine shut down and we were stranded. The van and trailer were towed back to the nearest Ford dealer for repair. Since returning home I have discovered this site and I am very intrigued by the number of problems experienced by Windstar owners 1995 to present. The dealership called this morning and offered $9,600 for our van if we purchase another Ford product. They will replace the engine (the serviceman said it was the worst engine blowup he had seen) for free, but, of course, it is a 6-week wait and Ford will only pay for 5 days of a rental car. I don't see many options. The one we are leaning towards is taking the buyback offer and purchasing a new '00 Windstar LX. I am intersted in feedback and/or other options I may not have thought of.
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    it seem a bit silly to reward Ford for building such a p.o.s. by buying another of their vans? What incentive do they have to improve their products if you (and many others) continue to buy their poor quality products?

Don't get me wrong, I understand you are in a tight spot here, but maybe a little research into the various alternatives might be a good idea.
  • 2akitas2akitas Member Posts: 19
    We are in the same sort of position you are in. we bought our 95 Windstar in Feb. 00 Just this past month the transmission started to shift rough.We have it in the shop at this moment.
    Would like to hear about Windstar transmission issues. Especially resolutions !
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    For the economic reasons to take up Ford on their offer, check out the following prior post...

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Vans&f=0&t=815&q=515

This was in the middle of a series of posts regarding whether or not the BuyBack was a good idea. You should read them through. You know, the thought of owning another Ford really rattles my cage, however, if I know I am going to dump it two years down the road, it makes a LOT of sense...
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • mlprewittmlprewitt Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 WS GL. Purchased in Jan '98, and noticed a whistling sound on passenger side, near the side mirror mount. It appears to be wind-related, and isn't noticeable until about 30mph. Took to the dealer 4x, and was told to "live with it". I tried a stop-gap remedy, but now it appears to be coming back. Any one else have this problem?
  • pencilpusherpencilpusher Member Posts: 7
    I have a 98 GL and I hear the whistling mainly on the highway. I think it is the air moving over/through the roof rack. I don't think it is anything to be concerned with, because I've heard it for 3 years.
  • bblahabblaha Member Posts: 329
    I have to ask. What "stop-gap remedy" did you use that has now apparently wore-off?!?
    Are any of you from Edmonton? Would like to compare notes and maybe get something going to present a case to ford. If we band together.... who knows.
  • I have a 98GL also. HAD the whistle at highway speeds and only on hot days. The rubber stripping across the top of the front window was expanding due to the heat and catching the air in a way to create a whistle. The source of the sound was hard to locate, but eventually was and sealer was used to fill the gap. No more whistle. This was a loud whistle and may not be what others are describing but good luck on solving the problem.
    Are any of you from Edmonton? Would like to hear how you handled Ford. Where,,, if any is the brst dealership to go to? Also wonder if anyone knows of a class action here in Alberta??
  • weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    The posts in this forum have been interesting. My mother owned a 1990 Taurus LX with the 3.8L engine. At 60,400 miles the engine started making a loud clacking noise and had trouble exceeding 40mph. Ford tore the top of the engine down and found that one of the lifters had collapsed and in a chain reaction had bent several pushrods and scored the camshaft. After three weeks of waiting, the dealer called to inform us that Ford had sent them a defective camshaft and that the engine would not run. They agreed to put her in a rental car, and repair the engine. The fun part was fighting Ford for the repair costs. They finally agreed to pay for the parts, which amounted to 1000 of the 1800 dollar repair bill. Keep in mind that the car was only 400 miles outside of Fords 6/60 powertrain warranty on 90 model cars. When the mechanic at the dealer tore the engine apart, he said aside from the damage the engine looked brand new on the inside and it was obvious to him that the car had been well maintained. While they were at it they replaced the head gasket with a revised unit. Never had head gasket problems, and the transmission lasted the 8yrs/85K miles we had the car. The sad thing is the car was beautiful to look at and drive. It was a station wagon with all the factory options, including auto a/c, leather and a power moonroof. Everything broke on that car except for the transmission, and now my mother is a loyal VW owner. The 3.8L was garbage long before you guys bought your Windstars. Later, Wes.
  • amiokamiok Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a super-clean low mialeage '98 Windstar. I Thought I made a good buy until I read this forum. Now I feel very uncomfortable. Is anyone satisfied with their Ford van? I can live with wind noise & "iffy" handling, but fear major mechanical problems.
  • bblahabblaha Member Posts: 329
    I am very happy with my 99 SE. Of course I haven't had any major problems yet (either mechanical or dealing with Ford) so I reserve the right to change my mind in the future. However, the HG problem on the 3.8L engine DOES seem to have been addressed mid year 1996. The only people that are complaining typically have/had the 95. I have a very difficult time beleiving that if the problem was still the same, that a bunch of 97s and even some 98s wouldn't now be having problems.
  • VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    My parents 98 windstar which just recently had transmission problems. They fixed it under warrenty but we are woundering if we should get the extended warrenty? Did anybody have head gasket problems on their 98 with the 3.8? thanks
  • mlprewittmlprewitt Member Posts: 2
    RE: Whistler - The whistle was very loud, could hardly talk over it. It appears to be coming from lower right hand side of windshield area. Dealer thought it was the mirror mount. One of the techs, though, said the Taurus had a similar problem, and that air was leaking in an area under the molding in front of the windshield. My stop-gap solution was to place a piece of foam at the base of the windshield, under the molding....and, voila, the whistle was gone.
  • elisabeth5elisabeth5 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any problems with their power sliding doors? We have a 1999 SE. The right side power sliding door opened (about 1 inch) while driving; opened (again, about 1 inch) going from park to reverse; opened (1 inch) going from park into drive. Each time we brought it back to the dealership. They have tried to fix it and their final adjustment was to overcompensate for the problem and extend the door out about 1 inch in the back, but the door is no longer flush and it looks terrible.

We have called Ford and they claimed that only a few people have reported to them any door problems.
    Has anyone else had problems with their power doors?
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    I have a 96 Windstar with 68000 miles on it. It has been quite reliable, I can't even say that I have had the braking problems that others had complained about. I find it to be a very comfortable travelling car, in fact it is making another trip to Grandma's on Chincoteague tomorrow. The big problems with the 98 model year seemed to be with the gas guage, it would signal a low tank with 7-8 gallons remaining, this seemed to be a problem with the optional large tank more than the standard 20 gallon tank.
  • brewdudebobbrewdudebob Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a used 1998 Ford Windstar GL from Autonation USA last October and have had continuous problems with the fuel injection system running too rich. I had so much carbon emitting from my tail-pipe that I have black circle stains on my driveway caused from the morning dew condensing and dripping the soot. The van would stall on me when I would come to a sudden stop. There is nothing worse than being a sitting duck at a 4 way stop sign while you have to throw it in park, restart the engine, throw it into drive, and get out of the way of the other angry commuters. Some of those situations have been downright dangerous!

I also have had a problem with the van "shuddering" when on a straightaway or while climbing a hill, also I noted that the transmission sometimes "slams" into gear. I assumed that the shuddering was caused by the fuel mixture being too rich and had the ever so competent technicians at Autonation take it for a spin and fix the problem. Of course, they were "unable to duplicate the symptoms." They also told me that the transmission had normal shifting.

They were able to correct the stalling, and cleaned up the carbon significantly, but the shuddering continued. I lived with this problem for a few months because my hectic lifestyle kept getting in the way of arranging an appointment where I could drive the shop foreman in the van myself to show him what was happening. I finally was able to take him for a drive last week, and he immediately determined that the transmission was slipping! Why couldn't they have noticed that earlier or interpolated that possibility when I presented them with those symptoms months ago? Probably because they will have to absorb the cost of fixing the transmission.

I have an appointment this Friday to have the transmission worked on, and they told me that it would be about an 8 hour job at least, possible 2 days! Fortunately for me, I purchased an extended warranty and this item is covered with a $100 deductible. I will re-post after the appointment to let you all know how my van is running, and if I can get them to eat the deductible since this problem was detected by me so shortly after my purchase, yet baffled their technicians.
    We have the same problem with the trans. They still don't know what is wrong with it. It was in the shop for 4 days. They are not even sure it's the trans. It might be a wiring problem. Please let us know what your problem is and if they were able to fix it.
  • johncbealejrjohncbealejr Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 windstar gl 3.8 with the same "drop" in the transmission problem. The place where I bought the car is shady to begin with. the tech found no reported problems with it. While on a road trip to Toms River, NJ I thought I'd be on the side of the road. the (abs), (check engine)lights came on, and the engine was running hot. Also the damb thing stalled on one of lake mohawk's steepest inclines! im curious to see what happens with your trans prob. Thankyou, John-wpb,fl
  • zigsterzigster Member Posts: 2
    Well, we did it. After buying back our "blown-up" 95 windstar($9,600), we agreed to purchase a 00 Windstar. We got it for about $500 under the TMV and $1500 in rebates plus .9% financing. We were anxiously awaiting its arrival from a locate. When it arrived, with a few more options than we had expected, we were guardedly excited. New car smell, new options, etc. Then,are you ready, when we drove out of the lot, I turned on the radio and two of the four speakers were not working. One was completely dead (driver's rear)and the other had an annoying cackle (driver's front). I immediatley returned to the dealer and told him the problem. It is now July 3 and four days later and they still have not solved the problem. They even pulled up a "twin" and started swapping components without success - same problem with either component. Now we will wait until Wed (closed tomorrow) and hope for the best. Meanwhile, has anyone else had this problem? If they can't solve the sound problem, what other options might you suggest? We have now lost out on two camping week-ends due to a Ford Windstar. However, they seem to be holding the "golden handcuffs". I should say, in their defense, the dealership is doing all possible. Sevice Department has kept us informed, said a few surprising things about Ford, and offered sincere sympathy ("a lot of good that does for you" said the service manager). The salesman who sold us the car even offered his personal truck to haul our trailer for the camping trip. We declined. Our beef is with the big guy, Ford.
  • loppetloppet Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a '96 Windstar for safety and size reasons, now with 51 K and have had a continuous stream of annoying problems. It does drive well however when its not breaking down and with traction control and Blizzaks it is an excellent snow car. Problems include brakes spontaneously freezing up -then as they release they cause an oscillation that eventually turns into a vibration then finally into a earthquake sensation thats begs you to pull over into the breakdown lane-this was times two and corrected with new break rotors. More recently the speedometer broke and it took 4 trips back to the dealership to fix, the tapedeck broke, the rear wiper motor broke to the tune of 200$ plus,, needed new brake calipers 600 miles past the warranty period, sliding door repeatedly gets stuck, the whole van quivers at highway speed despite being realigned and with tires newly balanced, the dash continually chirps at you that a door is open when its not-dealership unable to fix, and now the van comes to a grinding halt 5 feet from home on the way to work with a metal grinding noise that would wake the dearly departed-a broken front spring ! Now I can understand the black marks that CR gives this monster in the reliability surveys. (I did get in a mild accident, thanks to a directionally challenged driver, with it and it crashed great)
    I'm heading over to the Odyssey or the Sienna- see you later Ford!!
  • mrswademrswade Member Posts: 1
    I just put a down payment on a '96 Windstar LX. It is a custom hi-top conversion, which has absolutely nothing to do with the HG and tranny problems I see posted, mostly for the '95. It has 36,000 miles on it and is immaculate inside and out. I see tons of '95 problems shown and just a few '96 problems. I am purchasing an extended warranty for an additional 4 years 48,000 miles that claims to cover the engine and tranny fully. Am I about to make the biggest car mistake ever?
  • HCLEMOHCLEMO Member Posts: 19
    Who knows whether you will regret buying a 96. In your favor, the transmission and headgasket complaints are much fewer for the 96s than the 95s.

I would go by the book in terms of keeping the vehicle well serviced--especially in terms of the transmission being serviced every 30K mi (I would do it more often) and other things. Keep a close eye on coolant levels--if you are finding yourself filling the coolant reservoir frequently, think blown gasket (similarly, if the 02 sensor goes, think this).

The conversion may add extra weight to the vehicle which will put more strain on the transmission--you may want to think about an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler.

Above all, drive the vehicle gently--assume there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

Keep all of your receipts documenting that you have done all recommended services.

Consider selling the vehicle before the extended warranty runs out.
  • mechanic3mechanic3 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 winstar 2wks old. the side doors are poorly lined up. plus a have alot of wind noise. i am bringing it back to the dealer next week.
  • jmhansenjmhansen Member Posts: 2
    I have had a 1996 and 1998 Windstar GL w 45k and 32k respectively. I wish the brakes would last a little longer and have experienced the wind noise at high speed on warm days - but other than that both vans have been excellent! I'll soon get a 2000 SE. Because my problems are minor I have resisted posting, but feel that satisfaction should be reported as well.
  • angel17angel17 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at a 2000 Windstar LX vs. a 2000 Chevy Venture. But looking at the forums for each van on this website, now we think we might want to just buy bikes with carseats attached to do our daily commute. Are both vehicles really, typically, THAT unreliable? Now we are totally confused and scared to purchase anything.
  • illinoisillinois Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I'm on day 1 of a 95 WS transmission problem.
    Anyone been through this specific situation before? What was found as the cause? Any other postings welcomed!

Situation:
    - 95 WS. 51K miles. Routine maintenance, plus ensured that tran fluid was periodically flushed, not just changed.
    - With cold engine, no trouble (so far)
    - With hot engine, and from a stop on level ground, the engine revs to about 2000-2500 rpm in neutral, and then the trans pops into gear. Feels like being rearended.
    - Doesn't occur when on an uphill or downhill slope.

Going into the shop tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Ed
    rlnpr@yahoo.com
    Ours does about the same thing as yours does but when in gear. From a stop when you press the gas and when you accelerate. We are told it may be the forward piston in the trans.We just came back from a road trip through southern Alberta with no problem, except the rough shift. Our mechanic thinks it is an elecrical problem of on the engine side of things. We also would like to hear from others who have had this.
  • brewdudebobbrewdudebob Member Posts: 2
    I got my 98 Windstar back from the shop Friday night. They found no major problems with the transmission and did a drain & flush of the transmission fluid. I also had 4 new tires installed, oil change, & tune up.

I have to say that the transmission is remarkably smoother now and the van rides much better. No more shuddering when the gears are at that "in between" point. I no longer feel the transmission slipping at all. The shop manager did say that the transmission should be flushed at around 35,000 miles, mine has 45,000.
    We'll see how long this fix lasts.

Now that I have had that problem fixed, I actually feel more confident about driving my windstar. I was about to trade it in if the problem couldn't be fixed.

We are planning a long trip next month and I will let you know how things hold up.
  • gheckoghecko Member Posts: 6
    This is not good. This is really really not good. We just traded in a '99 Accord EX (great car!) for a '98 Windstar "Northwoods"(?) edition. By the feel of it on the highway it's probably only the 3.0 liter - is there any way to tell which it is? The van is loaded, sounded good and was clean inside and out. It had just come on the lot at CarMax when we spotted it.

So, my wife is thrilled she finally gets her minivan and this is our first American car since the Jeep Cherokee fiasco a while back.

Luckily we purchased the extended warranty - bumper to bumper out to 93K miles or 2005, whichever comes first.

PLEASE tell me you guys don't represent the majority of Windstar owners out there...

Jon
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Go to the NHTSA website http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/complain/compmmy1.cfm and search there. For Make - select Ford Truck. That will list the consumer complaints for vehicles for the year you select.
    As for the size of the engine, It should say either 3.0 or 3.8 on the engine in large letters.
  • liebedaliebeda Member Posts: 13
    I bought a 99 Windstar LX (3.8) and I'm only getting about 9 miles per gallon. I'm using 87 octane fuel from Mobil. Most of my driving is in the city - but it hasn't been much better on the highway.

Is this typical of the Windstar or worse than average.

Does anyone know what can be done about this?
This discussion has been closed.