Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• makakiomakakio Member Posts: 25
    "(The non-start and subsequent pusing it along dead a short ways is) no real problem for myself..."

Are you DELUDED, man?! It's beyond all belief that you actually write this kind of negligent engineering and quality assurance off as "no real problem"!

I think the reason Ford stays in business with product this crappy is EXACTLY this kind of apathetic approach to car ownership.

My mother has been a Ford/Mazda owner for 30+ years and every one of her cars has always been plagued by some always-repeating issues that Ford could never fix (actually the one exception being a great, dependable 1988 Taurus Wagon). The Mazda MPV was 10 times better quality and reliability-wise than the Ford but in the end electrical gremlins killed it (thanks Ford for engineering the wiring harness) and she promptly went out and bought a Windstar.

Now she's doing battle with Ford for a buyback b/c the the van has maybe 6,000 miles on it and it's been in the shop for repeated failed repairs to everything mentioned in this thread for more days than she's actually had it home.

She's finally written off Ford product. Send a message: do the same by simply NOT BUYING these lemons. Force Ford to produce a better product. These vans are not cheap. Honda can do it. Toyota can do it. The apathy is so pathetic it's hurting my head.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I think Wayne was only trying to provide some useful information to the members of this board. To chastize him in the manner you did serves only to run off those who have useful information for other owners. He indicated that it was no problem "for him".

I do agree that apathy, and blind/brand loyalty are some of the reasons that auto manufacturer's get away with building the junk they do. But don't jump down a member's throat for providing some potentially useful information.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Seems to be a problem with many Fords, but the fix is easy - spray WD40 on the drivers door latch (the mechanism on the door) I had it on my departed 95 Windstar and my current 98 Taurus. The dealer told me that the latch isn't moving as freely as it should and the WD40 loosens it. It works fine. I tried the side contacts and tailgate, but to no avail. A quick squirt of WD40 will solve that problem - promise.
  • westendorfwestendorf Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 2001 Windstar. Today when I put it in reverse to go up my driveway the van jumped back about a foot to start. This would normally not be a big problem, but today I was attaching a trailer. Now it off to the body shop to have the rear door repaired. This is my first Ford and none of my other vehicles have ever had this lurching when putting in reverse.
  • mrickemricke Member Posts: 1
    Months after the warranty went out on our pampered 99 Windstar SE, the "complete steering system" (pump and rack and pinion) on our car collapsed. The pump still had the correct amount of fluid immediately after the collapse and no dashboard warning lights ever went on. Last year (under warranty) we complained about noises when we turned and tension when turning the power steering wheel. In response to that complaint, the dealer replaced the steering spindle arm and the noise went away (though not the tension). (1) Has anyone had a similar experience (we had just exited the expressway with the car full of children)? (2) Ford says it is just my bad luck because of no extended warranty, anyone know how I can make it just their bad product, support and luck? (3) anyone know if the earlier problem with the spindle arm break could be related (the dealer says no but admits they did not check the rack and pinion or pump) to the larger problem or have an explanation of how this could occur without warning lights or any other hints? Thanks much!
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I would tell them you will accept nothing less than complete replacement of the rack and pinion at their cost. You brought it in for the problem and they mis-diagnosed it. If they don't accepth that, then sounds like you need to take it one step above the dealer, and possibly legal action. That's what it takes to deal with these guys.
  • jstanle1jstanle1 Member Posts: 1
    This message is in reply to socalric message #851
    My 1999 Ford Deathstar just had a new transmission at a cost of $2500 (independent shop...dealer charging $3100). My van did the same as yours....only it didn't start to move again. If you are still under warranty....insist that they look inside the transmission. If you are not under warranty (as I was not) I would suggest either getting rid of the van now, purchasing the extended warranty, or be prepared to pay pay pay.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Go back to post 758 to see my power steering story and how we got hosed by Ford. If your out of warranty you may be S.O.L., The dealership can however offer you the good customer discount as with us but I still think it should have been covered.

Ray T.
  • jsiedhoffjsiedhoff Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2002 windstar with a squeaking driver's side sliding door. What is strange about it is that it only squeaks and rattles when it is raining. Has anyone experienced this? I had a 2000 that was a lemon and I wish then I stayed away from Ford. My '02 that I got as a replacement (after fighting with Ford for 3 months) has already had two front end alignments, three steering wheels and a squeaky driver's seat also. I will never buy another Ford product in my lifetime.
  • allyhoallyho Member Posts: 1
    new to the board, and for the most part thought i had a pretty good vehicle until recently, (or at least til i started reading this board.) the major problem i have had with the van has been the power sliding doors. we bought the car new about a year and a half ago, and since early on, the door on the driver's side has often gotten stuck. it will open, and then using the button, or trying to manually close it will not work. we've taken it to the dealership at least 3 separate times, and each time, it starts working and they've done no repair. this time, finally while it was at the shop the technicians saw that it was not working and have agreed to keep it til they can fix it, but even over the week they've had it, they've called saying it's working now and they can't find the problem. the reason it was at the shop in the first place was it had gone dead recently. we re-charged the battery and it went dead again. we drove it to the dealer and they replaced the alternator. we also just had the front end aligned. it seems to me that there is a lot of work being done for a car that is less than 2 years old, and has only 20k miles. i'm learning from your posts, that a lot of others are having similar problems, but i really wanted to find out if anyone could help with the power door issue. and please advise if anyone knows of any power drain problem related between the alternator and the power system/doors of the vehicle. thanks.
  • ssartorissartori Member Posts: 15
    To make a long story short, I just bought a 96 Windstar with 47,000 miles on it... The Windstar replaces a 94 Transport with 68,000 care free miles we bought new but was rear ended by a garbage truck after the truck lost it's breaks coming down a steep hill... (Was the garbage truck a Ford also?). The only problems with the Transport were the constant warped rotors… They would last for about a year then warp out.. The pads would last forever, and the valve seals were going.. I just dropped $700 3 weeks before the accident on an ABS sensor $500 and $200 for a new Power steering line that rusted out thanks to salt and Upstate NY... The ink on the Visa bill was still wet when the Transport was totaled.. Thank God My wife and Mother weren't hurt.. That space age frame under the plastic really worked...

Well in a pinch with only $6300 from the insurance, try to find a reliable vehicle on a lot for that price.. We try to dive them for 10 years and then buy new.. Yes I have a 99 Sable that has two more years left on the loan.. The Sable has been reliable so far.. but it's still under warranty.. We found a clean 96 Windstar with 47,000 mile for $7,200.. The ride is much nicer than the 94 T-sport and everything seems to be working on it... I did need something with at least a 3.5-3.8L engine to pull out 1200lbs pop-up trailer.. I figured we went up 2 model years and dropped 21K in miles, and all I need it to do is last the next two years till the Sable is paid off..

After reading the nightmares here with head gaskets, and trannies I cannot believe the quality of the Windstar can be this bad.. It sounds like Ford couldn't care less.. I really do love the ride of the Ford over the Transport... My last Ford was an 86 T-bird that we loved but with two little kids it was time for a van... My wife loved the idea of the power sliding door.. GM came out with them in 94... GM could of used my wife, our 3 year old and baby for the commercial.. Arms loaded and the pod in hand trying to open the door.. BTW The Transport Plastic body still looked great.. No Rust... Just don't look under the van..

Well anyways I'll keep you posted on the Windstar... I'm hoping that (unfortunately) this may only represent .01% of the bad Windstar out there and this group is extremely vocal..
    Man I hope that’s soooooooo….
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I had a 95 with 135K on it till it was totaled in the front by a red light runner. I had no trouble with the transmission and it was as reliable as could be. It is like almost any vehicle--luck of the draw. I purchased a used 99SE and so far so good.
  • quickfordsquickfords Member Posts: 18
    Like many other shoppers, I am trying to find a decent used Windstar. I am used to buying $1000 Subarus (a second car for my wife who drives 10-20 miles a week), but with 3 kids a Subby is too small. I found a 1998 GL with 105k miles for $4995 and it seems nice. It did have some minor body work done, but only a small area- the rest is very nice. It is that gold chameleon color. Fairly well optioned (3.8l, quad seats, rear power windows, alum. wheels, aftermarket cd radio). It does need new rear shocks, hoses and a belt. It does have an anti-freeze smell I could not trace. Is there anything particular to look for?
    It seems to be a good van for the money, even at $5k I have extra for the minor parts it needs. Any thoughts???
    Thanks 5grayhound,

One of the problems with this type of forum is very few people who don't have problems visit or post on them.. Why should they don't need information about an issue with a vehicle or the dealer or company... When I first got my new 99 sable the only problem I had was the "99" Ford Ping problem that seems to also reach into the 99 Windstars... I took the sable back to the dealer 3x to find out in need to up the Octane level from 87 to 89+… Yes they replaced the MAP sensor and thermostat checked for Prom Updates.., Nothing… I was very vocal about this issue on this form… Here it is 1999 and they can’t get a car not to ping… I think there should be a good news thread on here also… A place where people can crow about what’s positive about the vehicle and what hasn’t had to be done… Wish there was a way to read % on number of issues vs./ numbers sold.. If you read the forum, you think maybe 50% - 75 % are having this problem, then you think the other 50-25% who haven’t posted well their vehicle is already in the junkyard from accidents or was taken by aliens for backyard sculpture on planet Nebula… J

Take care
    Of course I maybe in denial.... :-)
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 32
    Then when it craps out on you, you can talk to 5grayhounds and he can tell you what a wonderful Ford he has.
    Now be nice. I can only use my own experiences to draw from. However, if you compare the number of posts on this board to some others, including the Honda board, this board is not really that big. I think the Honda board is up to 1,500 by now. As I said above, I can only go with my own experiences and that is both my Stars have been reliable. The 95 only left me stranded once when the ground wire rusted at 100k but it happened in my garage. I have a neighbor down the street that has a 95LX with over 150k and it still runs just fine. As I said, sometimes it is the luck of the draw.
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    I think you might have managed to get one of the few good Windstars that have been made. As I've said before, if you look at all the Ford vehicles that used that 3.8 liter engine/tranny combo it has been a huge catastrophe. And the problems are all similar; Head gaskets, timing cover gaskets, failed trannies, etc. The only Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles that are still using that dreaded drivetrain are the Windstar and the mustang. People would be well advised to stay away till a more reliable drivetrain is offered in those vehicles rather than hope for a lucky draw.
  • selasela Member Posts: 5
    I bought this '95 van in '99; sold a paid off honda (which wasn't the dream car it was supposed to be), but anyway, I sold it because I needed the room of a minivan. The ws has given me lots of room. It has also provided me with a few other unexpected delights: my town has an enterprise rental car place that I didn't know about, and the workers at the Ford dealership know the number to it without even using the phone book; my apartment was right on the bus line and I didn't even know it; the folks at the family owned small garage/repair shop are some of the nicest people in our area--daggonit! they're like family now; that "head gasket" rumor turned out to be true; doing without a vehicle during the most important week in my career was something that I could indeed survive; that leaky transmission fluid portends that the tranny is likely to go very soon at a cost of $2K (steep since I haven't even got this van paid off yet). Here is my situation: owe 6 more mths. on this van, with 102,500 miles. It needs new tires again, I am afraid the head gasket could go again, and this time out of warranty (I no longer live on the bus line), and the transmission is likely to go soon. I can't get another Ford--I just can't. I've narrowed my search down to a new Sedona, which is giving me that "new vehicle fear", or a used Sienna. Safety is my main concern, but the darn thing has to work too. I would love to hear your thoughts. What would you get? (PS--teehee, I have to share: recently we had our new house inspected before we bought it. The inspector talked about the house for about 20 min., but he went on and on and on about the horrible luck his family had had with their ws, which looked exactly like mine. Jeez! This knowledge made me nervous in the middle of a home purchase; and it is accurate, mine is going quickly as well.) HERE'S A HECK OF A THING: This vehicle isn't even 8 years old yet. Can't Ford do better than this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    At least you've been able to keep your sense of humor during all your van troubles. Good luck in your search.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • skip32skip32 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 came factory equiped with General Ameri GS60 tires.I now notice after about 14,000 miles the sidewalls have bumps in them. Its almost like a bubble is starting to form.I now have begun to check other Windstars in parking lots and I notice I am not the only one plagued with this. Each tire has at least 3 or 4 places that the sidewall seems defective.I do not know what the side I can't see looks like. Does anyone else have this problem, check your tires. If anyone has approached Ford or a tire dealer about it I would love to hear the response.
    Depends on why you mean by bumps and bubbles. I noticed "bumps" on some brand new Kirkland Tires (supposedly made by Michelin) - the Costco guy said they were just mold marks and that every one of them in his stack were the same. (I was getting some X Radial Ones at the time to replace the OEM Generals, btw - the Generals wore poorly, bumps or not).

Steve
    Host
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Just curious if anybody else got the Brake Safety Recall for the 95/96 Deathstar... Looks like they are finally going to reimbuse me the $150 to fix the brake line that nearly killed my wife. In July 2000, she was driving on Interstate 94 through Wisconsin and wanted to stop for a pop. After she got on an exit ramp, the brakes went to the floor and she didn't know what to do. She went through a red light and nearly got clipped by a state trooper. After letting off the gas, downshifting, and getting help from the trooper, she got the van to a truck stop. A brake line had rusted through and all the brake fluid was drained. Paid a mechanic $40 to cap the line (it was the passenger front brake line that rusted through), filled up the system with brake fluid and managed to get home to Minnesota. Got it fixed the next morning.

Just another day in the Deathstar... Happy Motoring!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • mslmnmslmn Member Posts: 13
    I run the carfax history on a 1999 used Ford Windstar SE with only 24K and no problems were found. The dealer is asking $16,500. I saw the van and was very happy with everything it has including color, until I went to the discussion board and saw how many problems the Windstar has. Should I forget about this van or give it a chance? It has some warranty left (I do not know which kind). All your recommendations are very appreciated.
  • tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    My 2000 SE is starting to show some strange symptoms with the dash lights. I had mentioned before about my oil light not turning on for a moment. No one here has responded to it, and even the dealer has told me nothing is wrong with it and showed me 2 other WS with the same symptom.

So I have been living with it by waiting about 2 seconds (2 beeps from the seatbelt chime) in ON before i move it to START. The oil light would show for a few seconds and go away like I expect. Just recently, it seems to have a harder time starting (sounds like the battery is weak) and the oil light will not turn on, and the head lights blink on for a split second. So I have now waited 3 seconds for the oil light to show before I start it, and nothing funny happens.
    Another strange thing that happened yesterday, I think if I start the van in about 1 second, the THEFT light blinks quickly. It looks like how it would behave if I did not use the correct key. But it drives just fine. It has a blinking pattern of like 2 slow blinks, 5 quick blinks. After a few cycles, it goes away completely.

I have been able to reproduce the 1st problem easily, but not the second. My only (and hopefully correct) idea of a problem is that the battery is just old and needs replacing soon. Any worse and I may have an expensive repair bill on hand (no more warranty for me). I did have to jump start about one month ago. (Stupid me, I left the radio on while I spent about 4 hours cleaning the inside of the van. Obviously too long!)

Anyone think that the battery really is it?
    Funny, your situation is just like mine. I had a 95 WS with 135K and it was totaled by a red light runner. This past Sept I picked up a 99SE with 24K on it for $16,400. Love it and my 95, except for the head gasket, never gave me any trouble.
    However, I think you are paying to much. There are a lot of 99s coming off lease so there is a glut. Since I paid $100 less than you did 8 months ago you should be able to get it for around 15K to 15.4K. 16.5 is to much. Also, go to NHTSB and look up the recalls. There were 5 of them. None were really bad but they should be done prior to you buying it.
    Thanks for your input.
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 32
    If you ran the carfax what more do you need?
    ... am loving it! What a great ride and security. I test drove a Mazda 2002 MPV and it felt like a feather comparing to the handling of my new/used windstar (it kind of says, "I am here to stay!"). About running the carfax, since this is the first time I educated myself to the limit, I just don't know what the carfax could have missed... May luck and God be on my side. I will let know if I run into any problems. I am going to researching any recalls and digging as much as I can about any 1999 windstar problems.
    Thanks.
  • rejohnson1rejohnson1 Member Posts: 1
    We have the same tires and they have the same weird looking lumps in the sidewalls. They were there early on, and I put it on the list of stuff to do for the first or second service visit. The Ford guys basically said to take it up with the tire people. I got lazy and didn't do that, and they still look the same but nothing has happened. But these tires do look bizarre.
    I am in the same situation as you. I really like my 99SE and it is the first used car I have ever bought. Lots of power, compared to my 95, and I really like the quad seats. The only thing I wish it had was the reverse sensing system. I think my first upgrade will be the side mirrors with the turn signals built in and then I will have to see about a combination cd and cassette player for it.
  • marsh89marsh89 Member Posts: 1
    Transmission Shifting hard
    Engine Pinging
    Fluid leak

This site was extremely helpful and I would advise others to scroll through it looking for problems. After reading about the engine pinging issue and the transmission slip I told the dealer that I KNEW these were real problems and I demand they be rechecked since I had been told over and over, "that is the way a minivan shifts", "we did not find any indication of a problem causing the pinging". I told the Service Advisor that any of the problems I reported I would like documentation showing they were checked and mentioned how many other Windstar owners on the internet had the same problems. During that visit both problems were identified and fixed under the warranty - replaced valve cover, reprogrammed octane level, and the PCM was reprogrammed (both of which I read about here). All of sudden the transmission shifting hard was under a recall. I had been complaining and returning it to the dealer from 1 month after I purchased it in April 99 complaining of how it shifted. And like one post I read, DEFINITELY make sure you get something in writing if they try to blow you off with "nothing found". The 3rd issue I had on that day was a puddle of brown fluid on the garage floor and a loud sound when turning sometimes, as if the power stearing fluid was empty. I was told verbally "nothing found on that". My service advisor was on vacation when I picked my car up, so I called a few days later and asked for something in writing. Never got it. One month later the 3yr/36k warranty was up and the Alternator went out. While it was there they found a leaking axle seal and low interim gasket ring. Serv Advsr said this would cause the sound I described and the leaking I described. Luckily I had bought a 7yr/100k warranty. If not I would have been paying $400 out of pocket because I never did get the "nothing found" statement in writing.
    Ford Recalls 400,000 Windstars

Steve
    Host
  • gsgetzgsgetz Member Posts: 3
    ...so much that we are buying a 2002 SEL as our current lease ends. I hope we don't have so many of the headachs some of the posters here had. Leather, back seat video (ok it's not dvd yet) side air bags, family security II with traction etc. $26,500. Seems like very good value and we like the product. Should we buy the extended warrenty up-front or wait till original expires?

Want to thank everybody for sharing their thoughts in advance...

OH, and BTW we wanted just to see one and found ONE Honda Oddity. It was a light slime green with an MSRP of about $30,000 and the dealer had installed another $5,000 worth of dealer installed options. $35,000 and it was sold as we looked at it. Salesman asked us to get out of the van. We were not impressed anyway, but thats what happens when Edmunds gives something its uncontrolled endorsement as the #1 Mini Van. Talk about your price gouging.

George
    If you need a car while yours is in for service get it up front, unless your dealer provides free loaner cars. That is one thing about the extended warranty, even if it is during the first three years you still get a loaner for free. I was able to get the zero deductible, max years and max miles for $1,500. That is $800, or about 40% off the list price.
    We had a 95 GL (135K) and except for the head gasket it was a good van. A red light runner hit it and totaled it last year and we got a 99SE with 22k on it.
  • philyjphilyj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 SE Sport. We have had nothing but problems with it. It has been in the shop so many times. I do like the van, but with all of the problems I can't wait to see it go. It turned a year old on May 31st. We have had it repainted, driver molding replaced, brakes have been worked on many times, parts have been welded in the rear, and sensors replaced. I think we have a lemon. My friend purchased the same model from the same dealer. Her van runs great. No problems yet. Does anyone have a rattle in the rear passenger side? We had a part welded, sealant filled, and foam placed inbetween body molding. The dealer knows that there is a problem and had a Ford tech road test and could hear the load noise. They still have no idea what it is.
  • karvinskarvins Member Posts: 5
    Well I sure wish I had read this board before my warranty expired and I would have bought the extended warranty. The car is 3 years 2 months with 30K miles. I've had the Pinging problems...pseudo fixed through the TSB's but I'm sure they may still be around.... especially now that the warmer weather is here. I've had the cracking paint in the roof rails... all of these they took care of under warranty. I was taking it in for 30K service and then the transmission thing struck...detailed for others below.

Now on to the transmission issue. Wife drove it on the highway, OD/ Off light started to flash, Service Transmission light came on, erratic shifting after that when she got it off the highway but it made it home. Then I came home and drove it and could not reproduce the problem in around the block driving or a short highway check. Next morning I drove it to the dealer and after 10 minutes on the highway the OD / light started to blink, Service transmission idiot light came on in the message center, just like the wife said. Shifting did still seem normal. By end of the day I get the bad news the transmission is toast and it will be $2500 to replace. They found metal in the transmission oil and it seemed burnt they said. I ask for the Ford number which they gave me the 1-800 number, they took down my case and it has been a day and a half but have not heard back yet.

I should also note the van had a symptom at 12,500 miles where at low rpm climbing hills the transmission was bucking between gears hard, they noted at the dealer the converter does lock and unlock every 2-3 seconds, they noted that the diags yielded nothing and they called the Ford hotline and were informed to re-calibrate and reseat the rear lube tubes...which seems odd but it took care of that problem. My contention is that period of transmission problem while I was on vacation deep in the gold hills of Yosemite area probably shortened the life of the transmission as well. This Rear lube tube and bracket was also noted on the service invoice as being under recall campaign 00B51. I'm not sure how this affects the transmission but that is what they put down on the invoice.

So now I am waiting and building my case that the 99 WS has chronic transmission issues as indicated in this Forum. I'll let everyone know what Ford comes back with but it sounds like I should talk to a Regional rep as well.

And also how does the dealer justify a 30K service for $650. This seems outrageous but I called other dealers here in Bay area and they charge nearly the same. I was shocked considering they change about 4 fluids, some filters and the bogus inspection checks. Is this what they charge in other parts of the country too?

Any advice, comments welcome about my transmission woes.
  • karvinskarvins Member Posts: 5
    From post #890 - 30K Transmission Toast- here is an update. Ford Customer Care has come back and offerred 50% of the cost of replacing the transmission which means they will foot $1250. It was a final offer situation so I took it. I did mention all the problems I have seen on the Internet in this Forum about 99 Transmission problems. They did suggest to keep my receipts and if they have a recall program that I might get re-embursed. They also mentioned I could take it up with the Customer Relations Manager at the dealer to get to the Regional Rep.

I also contacted the dealer Customer Relationship Manager at the dealer and gave them the situation...of course they listened patiently and I said I would like to pursue it with Regional Rep. They said they would look into it and would talk to the Service manager. The saga continues....
  • navyjnavyj Member Posts: 5
    The extended warranty was a good investment for me. As you can see in my post, all the problems that we have had. I am sure I will have more. In fact our van was back in the shop yesterday. The break light always will light up along with the tire low pressure light. They replaced all brakes the day before. Tires are fine, don't know what the problem is there. Good luck with your van.
  • dschwadschwa Member Posts: 1
    I had severe loss of power, pinging and stalling problems (65K miles). The dealer replaced and charged me for a newly designed valve cover that supposedly fixes an oil spray issue. Even though I'm out of warranty It seems a design fix should somnehow be covered by Mr. Ford.

Van runs as great as ever now.
    Hi everyone: I am still loving my van.

The only thing is that the transmission fluid gasket is leaking. I knew of this upon purchasing the van and the Dealer is going to fix it tomorrow by replacing the pan. Anyone else with the same problem?

In addition I noticed that my brakes (at approximately 24,400 miles are squeaking a little. Time to have the pads done or whatever is done to fix this problem? You know, girls don't like to drive squeaking cars... it drives to much attention :). Anyone with the same problem?

Rather then that, nothing else is up with my used van and I sincerely hope that stays that way.

Thanks.
  • gsgetzgsgetz Member Posts: 3
    Well, not everything went exactly as we had expected, but close enough. We bought an SEL with side air bags, Security II option and "free" video. When we went into f&i went for the upgrade alarm, $420, which I thought was reasonable but hadn't intended to go for, extended 7 yr 75,000 mile warrenty with 0 deductable if we go to their service, $50 if we go somewhere else (AFTER three years) this cost $1,720 so I guess we didn't do quite as well as 5greyhounds here AND we also purchased service for the first 3 years for $595. We had purchased the service for our '99 lease and though we didn;t use the whole thing, we liked it.

Grand total was right around $32,000 with tax and tags. We put a chunk down and financed the rest with a bank (not Ford) so we got the $3,000 cash back as well. Got a rate under 6% so not so bad.

Some say we should wait a few more months for even better deals to come around, but you never know. We are happy and thats all that counts. There is a good feeling knowing that for the first 3 years, at least, we will spend not one cent additionl for this automobile. Thats the idea anyway. If it dosen't work out I'll be back to let you know.

Thanks to all who posted. It was a BIG help. If any comments, questions I'll do best to answer. Going in this time around we were armed with knowledge and that equals power. Felt a whole lot better about the whole experience. Felt in controll of our destiny. Good feeling

George
    I've starting reading here about 3 years ago before I finally did buy my 2000 SE. It seemed like I got a great deal compared with other minivans. Anyway, I haven't read much sinse then until now that I am looking to get a compact car (the Hyundai Elantra GT).

It has almost 49K miles on it and no major problems. I have experienced some strange and annoying things that I must have gotten acustomed to by now:

Rattling in slidding doors, usually in cold weather. I think it has something to do with the little black stub on the door that has a matching piece on the door jamb. I'll live with it.

I've experienced the door open and door relock when the door wasn't open. I'll have to try the eraser on the contacts.

My brakes seems to have squealed forever. They don't always squeal! I haven't replace the brakes yet, need to check them. It doesn't sound like the squeal you get when they are worn.

My transmission often 'binds' (and it's normal so I was told) when pulling out of park. I have ALWAYS used the parking brake, but it still happens, more often when I don't use the parking brake. The transmission seemed to have learn how I drove the car initially (I babied it too much at first), so it seems to shift out of 3rd too quickly. Anyone have this problem? I've tried disconnectin the battery to reset the memory but that didn't work. Anyone know how? Safely?

I've had several recalls that I thought would fix some issues, could someone verify my suspicions? I had a recall for power functions to continue to work after the car is off. I never knew what this was, but if I leave the key in auxillary for so many minutes (haven't timed it), I can remove the key and the radio and power windows still work. Only putting the key into on will reset this problem. Also, another recall about the A/C system, my rear A/C keeps clicking once in a while as if someone is changing the speed. I've only noticed this when I set to rear control.

Sorry if my message seemed to have gotten long. Thanks for any help!
    OK, I forgot one new problem that may be major. I can head some rattling noise coming from under the van. Very obvious when running over anything that shakes the car. I suspect its somewhere in the exhaust system. I can't get that sound to come out when the car in is park.

I was thinking it could be related with the steering system as well. I had an intermittent squealing noise with my steering (and my brake pedal for that matter).

Wow, all these little things add up don't they?

Anyone have any ideas before I take it to my dealer to check it out?
  • dishnermdishnerm Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar transmission problem with 45k miles and no ext. warranty. Mine just stopped working(like it was in neutral all the time). Took it to Ford dealer and they told me it was gone, chunks of metal in transmission, and it would be $3600 for a new one. Called Ford and they had a program that replaced the transmission and gave me a 6 year 100k mile power train warranty for $495. I was very happy to hear this but you will need to make a big fuss before they will do it. It is worth it. Hope this helps. They said the program covers any major repair for vehicles out of factory warranty.
  • windedmom1windedmom1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '00 Windstar that currently has 39k miles on it. I heard that the tranny's were not too good on these cars and and thought that my van was a little rough when shifting. So, at 34,600 I took the van in for a transmission check and was told that the vehicle drove well and nothing was showing on the diagnostics.
    At 38K I was rearended while I was driving at about 45mph. Now that it is out of the shop it will the stearing column will periodically shake when driving on the highway. Also during these periods the car seems to change in power level even though there is no increase or decrease in the gas pedal. I was told that this is not accident related and it is a tranny problem by the body shop service tech - ford can't find a problem at all - it works great they say!a!! NOT!!!!! Has anything happened like this to anyone that you know?
    Please help!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    If you were driving along and got hit from behind the transmission may very well have suffered some damage and your insurance carrier should be notified right away or it will be coming out of your pocket. Body shops can make an ammended repair form out for the additional repairs not seen during initial estimate be it body work or mechanical. This issue should be resolved thru insurance carrier since vehicle was hit while in motion from behind. I don't know of any transmission that likes to get a sudden boost from behind while in drive that doesn't cause damage to driveline. The vibration is also an issue that needs to be corrected it sounds like something is out of balance or alignment causing the vibration. Stick to your guns and don't let them BS you on this. The vehicle was fine until the accident.

Good Luck

Ray T.
  • rdworski1rdworski1 Member Posts: 20
    How much should we pay for a 2002 or 2003? Winstar? Invoice, Less than Invoice or or More than Invoice?
    We are in Balt.-Wash.

Thank you!
    Check the True Market Value for starters. (2002 "new" prices are still up too).

Steve
    Host
  • vawindstarvawindstar Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Windstar with 85k miles. Since about 65k there has been a vibration felt in the steering wheel starting at about 60 mph. This vibration is not the typical side to side shake but more of a up and down sshake, the vibration can also be felt in the seats. I have taken the car to the Ford dealer, independent mechanics and two transmission shops. None can find the problem. There seems to be excessive play in one of the transmission couplings, but I was told that this was not the cause of the vibration. I've had wheels re-balance, aligned and new tires. This does not help. The Ford dealer took wheels and tires off another 98 Windstar that was not vibrating and put it on my van. The vibration did not go away. Any other ideas or solutions to this problem? I have an extended non-ford warranty until 93k and would like to get this resolved before the warranty expires. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.