Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Tires and Wheels

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Tire Size ----- Calc OD --- S.4. OD -- Comments
    205/55 R16 --- 24.88" ----- 25.00" ---- Softest ride, worst grip, slow steering response
    225/50 R16 --- 24.86" ----- 25.00" ---- Soft ride, better grip, slow steering response
    225/45 R17 --- 24.97" ----- 25.00" ---- Stiffer ride, better grip, faster steering response

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    What compromises were BMW engineers trying to achieve in choosing the 205/55/16 as original equipment rather than either of the other sizes?

BMW was probably trying to pick up a few tenths of a mile per gallon for CAFE purposes. My Club Sport came fitted with 225/50-16 tires but I switched to the 205/55-16 size after track experience showed that the 205/55 tires were actually faster. Note however, that my car is relatively light and doesn't possess bags of horsepower and torque. That said, if your 3 series sees only street use there is little to be gained by going to a plus-zero or plus-one tire.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jerryf2jerryf2 Member Posts: 8
    roadburner,

Interesting that you switched from 225 down to 205, skinnier, for track use. I would have thought the opposite. I don't track my car, and won't. Can you notice a difference in high speed highway cruising; steering feel, or a more stable and planted feeling on the road? Were these two sizes in the same tire model?

I question the importance of grip, never having noticed lack of grip even in relatively aggressive driving.
  • jerryf2jerryf2 Member Posts: 8
    Shipo,
    Both the 205/55/16 and the 225/50/16 have about the same sidewall height, so I don't see why there should be a difference in the softness of the ride.

When you say grip, do you mean at the limit? In ordinary, even spirited, driving I don't exceed the grip of the std 205/55/16 currently on my car. So grip may not be significant to me.

What most interests me is stability, a certain 'planted' feeling and steering precision at fast cruising, along with no wandering or skittering on poorer surfaces. I am not sure what fast or slow steering response means. Does it apply only to track events?

Jerry
    True both 16" tires have a virtually identical side wall, however, due to the wider section width, any impact or road irregularity will have just that much more bite, and will result in a nominally rougher ride, a ride that I prefer by the way because it tells me more about what is going on down on the road.

When I discuss grip, yes, that is grip at the limit.

Regarding steering feel, as a general statement, the wider the tire, the heavier the steering will feel, unfortunately, wider tires also contribute to a vague on-center feeling. Personally I'll trade the heavier steering feel for the on-center feeling.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I don't track my car, and won't. Can you notice a difference in high speed highway cruising; steering feel, or a more stable and planted feeling on the road?

The only thing I noticed was that the steering felt a bit lighter, but that may have been a placebo effect.

Were these two sizes in the same tire model?

Yes.

I question the importance of grip, never having noticed lack of grip even in relatively aggressive driving.

It all depends on the car as well as how hard you are going to push it. In my case, the 205/55 tires have more than ample grip on the street as well as on the track. From the way you describe your driving habits, I'd suggest sticking with the 205/55-16 tires.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• newbie26newbie26 Member Posts: 4
    I'm close on an 08 335i sedan with sport package. New to BMW. I've searched and found a gazillion opinions on winter tire strategies, many conflicting. I'd appreciate an "ideal" strategy and equipment for this car from one of the experts. If I pull the trigger on this one I'd like to get it set up with winter tires upon delivery. Wide open to suggestions: Ideal size, brand, run flats or not, optional equip./spare, etc. I'd prefer to keep it simple.

Occasional spirited driving. Located in Wisconsin, snowing as I write.
    If too complicated, I'm actually considering the 335xi although I haven't driven one yet. One tire size. What a concept.

Although I'm told I'll appreciate the summer set-up come April, May.....

Any help very much appreciated.
    I'd go to TireRack and buy one of their default packages for your car. You pretty much cannot go wrong with this plan of attack. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Have you checked out Tire Rack? If I were you I'd buy a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires- and I would perform the swap myself in late fall and early spring. I like this package.

I'm actually considering the 335xi although I haven't driven one yet. One tire size.

The 335xi Sport package is essentially cosmetic, and a 335i with the proper tires will get around just fine in the white stuff.

• newbie26newbie26 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, guys. Roadburner, I didn't see a recommended package when using your "this package" link, unless you were just indicating accessories, or unless I did something wrong (which is entirely possible). 17" 225/45's ok? I know narrower is better for snow, but looking for a reasonable compromise. Run flats or not? I'm thinking 5 wheels and tires, non run-flat based on discussions. I can assume I don't need to buy the monitors then? Again, appreciated.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Continental has Winter Performance RFT's if you prefer.

Regards,
    OW
  • tombo6tombo6 Member Posts: 2
    I'm really happy with my new 335i convertible (my first BMW and first RWD car in a long time) but lots of room for improvement when driving on snow and ice. Does anyone have any ideas about improving winter driving performance? Will snow tires help? Or something heavy in the trunk? I have 18 inch low profile run flat tires...major fishtailing and trouble climbing inclines and hills. Thanks for any advice.
    I have 18 inch low profile run flat tires...major fishtailing and trouble climbing inclines and hills. Thanks for any advice.

Easy fix- dedicated winter tires and wheels. Check out Tire Rack. As I mentioned earlier, swap them over in late fall and early spring. It takes me all of 30-45 minutes.

• tombo6tombo6 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks...sounds easy...just the drive wheels right? or do you use winter tires on all 4? Thanks.
    ...just the drive wheels right? or do you use winter tires on all 4?

You MUST fit the winter tires to all four corners! Othewrwise the car will exhibit dangerous handling characteristics. I like the Michelin and Pirelli performance winter tires, and either would be a good choice for your car.

I'm thinking 5 wheels and tires, non run-flat based on discussions. I can assume I don't need to buy the monitors then?

That's what I would do. However, I don't know if you can turn off the tire pressure light in the cluster. And the one of 17" packages would be best, in my opinion.

• kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    "17" 225/45's ok? I know narrower is better for snow, but looking for a reasonable compromise."

I was running 225/45's on all corners of my 330Ci for the 1st three winters of it's life. The snow traction wasn't terrible, but I thought I'd give narrower a try when I bought my second set. I put 205/50s on all corners. They are indeed noticably better in the snow but much worse when the roads are dry. Considering the amount of snow we get around here (S.E. PA), I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to 225s when I wear this set out.

FWIW, the 225's were Dunlop WinterSport M2s and the 205s are WinterSport M3s.
    I made the same choice when I bought my winter tire set for my 530i. The 225s were more than enough of a match to get me through all of the snow we get around here, and still had enough grip when the roads got dry. ;-)

Best Regards
    Shipo
  • sammybmwsammybmw Member Posts: 19
    I'm debating weather to sport package or not on a new 335I Sedan.

I'm apprehensive of the 19" tires. I don't use the car on the track. I'm concerned about damaging the rims or the underside of the car on gravel washboard camp roads and potholes on North Eastern US roads. Also, I'm leaning toward ride quality but don't want to sacrifice much steering feel. I have a E36 325I which I have heard steering feel is hard to beat (it is truly wonderful) so I expect a new car to equally amazing.
    I
    'm also concerned that the front and back are a different size. For an all around switch, can you switch to 225/45 17" (std 335I) on the rear of a sport package car that's equiped with the 255/35 18's or does some modifcation have to be made to the rear end?
    I
    f I were to get a sport package car, could I put a spare in the trunk of the 225/40 18" size (SP front) that could be used front or rear in an emergency. Obviously, I would want to have to have two spare tires, one front and one rear.

Are the summer tires safe in the rain. There's plenty of around here.

I have heard great things about the sport package seats. But not much about the suspension calibration difference.

Do most buyers of this car expect the sport package?

Any assistence with the decision and or possible modifications would be greatly appreciated. Regards
    "I'm apprehensive of the 19" tires. I don't use the car on the track. I'm concerned about damaging the rims or the underside of the car on gravel washboard camp roads and potholes on North Eastern US roads."

Uhhh, what did I miss? Last time I checked, the 335i SP came with 18" wheels.

"I'm also concerned that the front and back are a different size. For an all around switch, can you switch to 225/45 17" (std 335I) on the rear of a sport package car that's equiped with the 255/35 18's or does some modifcation have to be made to the rear end?"

Yes, 17" wheels can be fitted to a 335i SP with no changes to anything.

"Are the summer tires safe in the rain. There's plenty of around here. "

Yes, summer tires do just fine in the rain.

"I have heard great things about the sport package seats. But not much about the suspension calibration difference."

BMW has a reputation for building sport suspensions that while improving the handling of the car, doesn't make the ride bone-jarringly harsh.

"Do most buyers of this car expect the sport package?"

You mean, "Do they opt for the SP?" If that's what you're asking, my gut guess (with no numbers to back it up) is "no".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'm debating weather to sport package or not on a new 335I Sedan.

I'm apprehensive of the 19" tires. I don't use the car on the track. I'm concerned about damaging the rims or the underside of the car on gravel washboard camp roads and potholes on North Eastern US roads. Also, I'm leaning toward ride quality but don't want to sacrifice much steering feel. I have a E36 325I which I have heard steering feel is hard to beat (it is truly wonderful) so I expect a new car to equally amazing.
    I
    'm also concerned that the front and back are a different size. For an all around switch, can you switch to 225/45 17" (std 335I) on the rear of a sport package car that's equiped with the 255/35 18's or does some modifcation have to be made to the rear end?
    I
    f I were to get a sport package car, could I put a spare in the trunk of the 225/40 18" size (SP front) that could be used front or rear in an emergency. Obviously, I would want to have to have two spare tires, one front and one rear.

Are the summer tires safe in the rain. There's plenty of around here.

I have heard great things about the sport package seats. But not much about the suspension calibration difference.

Do most buyers of this car expect the sport package?

Any assistence with the decision and or possible modifications would be greatly appreciated. Regards
    Yes you are right, I slipped, I mean 18", the coupes may come with the 19" Thank you.
  • superdogsuperdog Member Posts: 37
    Can someone give me feedback.. I'm trying to come up with a good solution. Want the SP option w/18"rims (hate the 17inch rims) but want ONE set of tires that can get me through all seasons here in the tri-state (NY/NJ/CT area). Yes, I thought about swapping the tires out.. but its really a pain.. been doing that with my 06" 330i twice a yr.. storage/going to get it swapped.. I just hate doing it.

Is there a run-flat all season 18" for the BMW? I found a few high-perf all seasons on tire rack.. I was thinking of the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 18". Should I just mount these on the rims and take off the OEM tires? What about the tire sensors.. will they just stay on?.. also.. now I need to get a spare with a extra rim to leave in the trunk incase of a flat. Is there a easy solution here??... or do I just go with the ugly 17" all seasons with the SP...? =T I really hate those 17" rims.. eh..

Any suggestions?
  • akmwakmw Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just purchased the above but have not picked it up as yet. I want to get wheels/snow tires and prefer a 17" set-up rather than 18". However, Tirerack (and many others) are short on 17" wheels (at least those that are reasonably priced) as well as tires.

Anyway, they are recommending either a set up with a (a) 17" Kosei K1 Racing with the Blizzak WS 60 (225/45/17) or (b) an 18" Rial Como with Pirelli's Winter 240 Sotto Zero (215/45/18 - custom fit). I live in Toronto Canada where roads are usually plowed (I say 70-80% of the time), but we can have periods of light to heavier snowfalls (usually light to medium), as well as slushy or icy conditions every so often (this assumes that I will be caught in such conditions before the plows can get things cleared).

I'd appreciate any suggestions or guidance on which combination would be better.

Thanks....
    You'll probably be better off with a 17" set. That said, TireRack isn't the only game in town. If they don't have something resonably priced (and there's no way I'd buy an expensive set of wheels for winter duty), shop the other online tire and wheel retailers and/or E-Bay and Craig's list.

Let us know how you make out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • canman1971canman1971 Member Posts: 61
    Well, before winter I had the same dilemma with snows. I live in S. NH and we have been getting killed this year with snow. I ended up going with the Toyo Snowprox. Mine are 16 inch, but I'm sure they are the same as the 17. I will say this. They are awesome. I would recommend them to anyone who lives in the north. When on dry roads, you barely know you have snows on. On ice, they are good. In snow, no problems, and in driving, pouring rain, they make you feel like you are on dry roads.
  • lovinit1lovinit1 Member Posts: 7
    I have been looking to do the same. I saw the Goodyear's your talking about on tirerack I haven't heard anything about these tires yet so not too sure. Why would you need to get a spare for the trunk..it is a RF?? Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Hi guys I have the 335xi coupe with the SP (18') rims. I want to get good all season tires to fit the rims but don't know how to go about doing it. I know the sizes are 225/40 18 fr. and 255/35 18 rear. How do you ensure that the measurements of the new tire size are fit for your car? Are there any other factors I need to take into consideration? I am however unaware of the tire sensors..do they come off when swaping out the tires? Do you need to go to a BMW dealer to get the tire sensor light turned off?

Thanks again, It might seem silly but I am still learning about the RFT system and replacing/swapping tires. Any info I could get would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Check out tirerack.com. You can build your tire size for your vehicle. The conti rft' AW tires are very good but if your going to think snow, go with dedicated snows/rims in 225/45 on all four and keep the summer tires for the dry nice weather conditions. You will have the ultimate snow solution and a great summer combo to boot.

I have the 330xi and the AW contis which are good in the snow but not ultimate.

If you go for snows, you will need to get rims and tires which are packaged together on tirerack to eliminate mounting back/forth of the original wheels.

I believe they come mounted but check that.

Regards,
    OW
    Still no luck...
    I'm trying to replace my performance tires on my 18' rims that came with the SP. I''ve been doing a lot of research to find a good-to high performance all seasson tire to put on but have yet to find anything. As I live in Ohio I cannot keep these tires on the car. I would like to replace the tires with another set of 4 RFT's.

The sizes are 225/40 18 front, and 255/35 18 rear. Searching through Tirerack has been little help. I have only found the Goodyear Eagle F1 Ultra High Prfrmnc all season. It says it has reinforced sidewalls but I take it that it is not a RFT? I am not sure if I want to switch to GFT because of not being able to carry a spare with me? Your help would be really appreciated!
    Thanks again hope someone can shed some light on my serious concern
    Were I in your shoes, I'd buy a set of Yokomaha ADVAN S.4. GFTs and a Continental ContiComforKit to be used in the event of a flat.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp

From TireRack, the four tires that match your OEM sizes and the inflation kit comes out to $933.00 plus shipping an taxes. Not too shabby. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Awesome thanks Shipo.

Looked at the tires and I was just wondering..when your on tirerack and it says the tire Serv.Desc and Load Rating is this anything I need to look at when picking a tire?
    The ContiComforKit looks like it will do the job just fine, and have read many good things about the product on here. Why the Yokohama's vs. any other?
    Why do I recommend the Yokohamas over any other? Simple, I am not even remotely a fan of Pirelli tires, and so I'll leave it at that. The Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons are fairly well reviewed, however, I've found that as a general statement, Goodyear tires seem to lose their, ummm, errr, roundness as they age. I'm sure there's a better word for it but I think it gets the point across. Anyway, most cars that I've driven with Goodyear tires with any real age on them seem to feel as if one or more tires are not properly balanced, and upon further examination I've often found that if the wheel is lifted of the ground and spun, the tread area will show a slight undulation.

The Yokohamas on the other hand get great reviews; the ones that I've driven have performed admirably and aged very well. So, the long and short of it is that my personal opinions (completely worthless to one and all, save me of course), would lead me to choose the Yokohamas over the other two. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Serv.Desc and Load Rating is this anything I need to look at when picking a tire?"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Try the Nokians.

See this forum link:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124744

These tires are not sold at the Tire Rack but check out their site for local retailers.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    Mama needs a new set of tires...

Shipo, maybe you can help. I have a 2004 330i w/performance package. I need some new tires. I still live in the heart of South Texas; where it is HOT; so no need for an all season. However, I do have a little one in the back seat now, so I do have to be more careful. When it does rain down here it gets slicker than snot... I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg, but need a good set of tires for my second baby (the car)...

Opinions wanted...

Thanks,

Stacy :shades:
    Hey Stacy, wow, you're a momma now. Cool! IIRC, back when we first started trading posts I had two little ones, and they're now 14 and 11. Yeesh, I feel old. ;)

Regarding your situation, given the extreme competence of the Performance Package on your car, a good set of all-season tires will allow you to stay well glued to the road when conditions are dry, and substantially out-perform go-fast rubber when the rain comes. That said, there are only a few All-Season tires that have sizes that fit both the front and rear of your car, and they aren't exactly cheap (although less expensive than typical summer rubber):

Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Seasons -- $698
    Pirelli PZero Nero M&S -- $720
    Yokohama ADVAN S.4. -- $862

FWIW, I'm personally am no fan of Pirelli tires and would chuck them off the list without a second thought. I'm luke warm about these Goodyears, however, they do get pretty good reviews. That leaves the Yokos, tires that I happen to like quite a bit and which are very well received by folks who need sporty all-season rubber. So, were I in your shoes, I'd opt to spend the extra money and go for the Yokos. ;-)

As a point of reference, a set of OEM Michelin Pilot Sports will run you $1,016, so even the expensive Yokos are a relative bargain, especially so as they should last roughly twice as long as the Michelins.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    This is one of the few issues where I disagree with Shipo. I've had pretty good luck with Pirellis. In fact, I have a set of PZero Nero M+S tires on my wife's X3. They have good grip in the wet and have remained quiet over the 15K tmiles that they have been on the truck. It gets decent reviews from Tire Rack customers as well. YMMV, of course.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    She specifically stated she didn't want all-seasons...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Just a personal opinion, right or wrong. To be sure I cannot back that up with any statiscal or empirical data, it's just one of those things. :p

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Agreed, however, I'm thinking that something like the Yokos would give up very little in day-to-day driving and be better able to deal with the oil slicked wet roads that can be found in places where rain isn't as frequent as it is here in New England.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The main difference between an all-season tires and its summer counterpart is the rubber compound, not the tread. What this means is - in a place where it doesn't get cold, an all-season tire is not needed.

A high performance summer tire will grip a wet road just as well as it's all-season counterpart.

Like Roadburner, I am also a Pirelli PZero Nero believer. I have the all-season version on my M3 and they are terrific wet or dry, hot or cold. Pirelli makes a summer-only version that I think would be perfect - though I've also heard great things about the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - which comes with a $50 rebate off a set of 4 right now...
    "The main difference between an all-season tires and its summer counterpart is the rubber compound, not the tread."

Not the tread??? Uhhh, maybe I'm missing something (highly possible), but as a general rule, All-Season tires have tread patterns that have greater voids, smaller tread blocks and more siping than summer performance tires. The only exception to that rule that I can think of is the Pirelli PZero Neros.

I'm thinking that I'd be far more comfortable driving on rain slicked roads with All-Season tires than summer rubber.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Well I was thinking specifically of the Pirelli's (which have identical tread pattern for both all-season and summer). They are a good (and maybe the only) example of the "fundamental difference" between all-season and summer tires.

No other tire manufacturer that I can think of has "comparable" all-season and summer tires. So yes, in most cases, the tread pattern will be different. And with that in mind, it's up to each tire manufacturer to decide how to cater the performance of their tires for each road condition.

That being said, summer tires like the Eagle F1 GS-D3 are supposedly very good at evacuating water. Heck, even my Toyo RA-1's do well in the rain (when they're brand new, anyways :blush: ).
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    Thanks Shipo. I know I can always ask a question and you'll answer it.

What a lively little message board we have here regarding tires.

Yes, it has been a long time. I have a little critter in the back seat now, but I still have a BMW. I'm now on my 5th one; which I am very happy with, (I had the 2005 330ci w/performance package but when I found out I was pregnant I realized a 2-door wouldn't do, so I had to sell that and the Porsche and go get a couple of "grocery getters"... I was able to find the exact same 330 but with 4 doors and a year older...

I'll have to look into the tires... I've been putting off getting a new set, but Pig Pen (car) is starting to slip and slide all over the place...

If anyone else has some thoughts on tires, please feel free to chime in...

Stacy
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    Hi. I'm new owner of a 2004 330 ci , 34 k miles, and it came with fairly new Michelin Xalto V a/s tires, 205/50/17 ... the wheels are 17inch all around. I live in Midwest and will be able to use the all season tires in winter as long as snows don't get heavy.

My intention is to track (but not race) the car in the summer. I'm thinking of getting a summer tire. What size should I get-- or maybe I should ask what wheel size I should work with, and what size tire should I get? I have heard driving 17 in on track goes pretty good... but I dont know what tire size is actually used for best results. I frequent the Mid Ohio track when I can. It's also important that my summer tire be capable in rain conditions...tho not snow/ice. And I hope to purchase a moderate priced tire r/t an expensive one... of course

Thanks for your recs re tire sizes.
    Size doesn't matter - as long as they fit. Personally, I'd go with 16" wheels and 225ish tires, but you could really use anything you want.

When I first started attending HPDE's, I used high performance street tires and very quickly came to the conclusion that they were inadequate for lapping, and lapping tore them up too much to really use them on the street. A lose, lose situation.

What works for me is to keep my street tires on the car year-round, and have a set of dedicated wheels/tires for the track. I picked up an inexpensive set of "previously loved" wheels and mounted a set of Toyo RA-1's. If you cruise your local chapter boards (and maybe Craigslist and e-bay), you may be able to find some SCAA racers left-over used RA-1's too.

Don't forget your brakes - they're more important than your tires. Flush your brake fluid and check (or better yet, upgrade) your pads/rotors. Most of all though, have fun.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I had a quite a few different Summer performance tires and my favorite is the Michelin PS/2.
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    How did you go about finding 16's to put on -- I understand that very few will work on the E46 ? I've heard that Tire Rack sells some rims with their packages - but other than that I wouldn't know where to start to find some that would fit correctly.

I guess there are a lot of potential sellers, or "deals" , and I don't know the particulars of what to buy yet....

If I didn't buy wheels til later , say at end of season , what 17 tire size would work well with my stock 17" wheels (4) ?

Altho I'm not quite a novice, I feel like one as I have yet to learn to drive the car comfortably and smoothly - I miss downshifts as I'm not used to the 6 spd layout yet! So I'm not ready for prime time track anyway! So I'm very willing to compromise this season on wheels / tires and improve components later.
    Tire Rack is a great place to start. If you want to find 16" wheels for the E46, just plug in a 1999 323i - 16's were standard for it. Tire Rack will also tell you the bolt pattern and offset needed for your car. As long as the bolt pattern (5-120) and offset (42mm) match, then the wheels will work.

Wheels - 16" Kosei K1Racing (affordable and lightweight)
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initial- - PartNumber=KR700S&wheelMake=Kosei&wheelModel=K1+Racing&wheelFinish=Silver+Painte- - d&showRear=no&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=323i&autoYear=2000&autoModClar=&filterSize=- - 16&filterFinish=All&filterSpecial=false&filterBrand=All&filterNew=All&sort=Brand- -

As for tires, I wouldn't invest in "competition tires" until you have mastered the basics of car control and are ready for the next level of grip. I'd go for a good set of grippy, forgiving, and inexpensive summer street tires. Unfortunately my old favorite, the Yokohama ES100, is no longer available in your size. Too bad. Here's what I'd choose instead:

Kumho Ecsta MX
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+MX&partnu- - m=25WR6EMX&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=4

Hankook Ventus R-S2
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S2&v- - ehicleSearch=false&partnum=25WR6Z212&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

Or right now, I see the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 is on special right now...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+R- - E050A+Pole+Position&partnum=25WR6RE050APP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&p- - lace=5
This discussion has been closed.