Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Mailed off the 30th payment on Thelma Jane this morning! The last time I got this far into a payment book before trading??? Couldn't tell ya when!

Last time I LOVED a vehicle after 2.5 years and had no thoughts of trading it for something else??? NEVER before!

I LOVE MY JEEP!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Bill, I am dying to hear how things went at Freehold today. Please update us at your earliest convenience.

You said it was a "handshake deal," but I didn't think a dealer would order a vehicle without your signature on some kind of paperwork (forget what you call it).

Were you possibly supposed to go back later and sign some papers, but didn't understand that you were required to do so? Even if that were the case, why in the world wouldn't they have contacted you to ask you why you had not come back???? And why would they have waited two weeks and then placed the order?

This makes no sense at all.

Bill, once again, I am so sorry that all this has happened, but don't give up! I am telling you, all this trouble will seem insignificant when you are driving that new Jeep. The thrill of that new Jeep will overshadow all of the current frustrations.

Tom

• redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    I am having trouble keeping the rear window clipped onto the tailgate on the left side. It comes undone as soon as I start up the jeep. Anyone else have a problem like that? It is a 2002 w/ a sailcloth. I am taking it in next weekend for some other things, should I have the dealer look at it or is it too nit-picky?
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Like Tom said, in order for the dealer to order a vehicle there needs to be paperwork signed. I mean, the factory is building the vehicle for said customer (Surfer). No dealer would do this on a handshake. I'm not taking the side of the dealer (heaven forbid, LOL!) but just stating facts. None of this excuses the treatment that Surfer got from the dealer though. Just want to keep the facts clear from the emotional part of the story. :-)

Stephen
  • flajeepchickflajeepchick Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to say that No it does not have to be on paper... BUT a deposit does have to be put down. I am sorry but I think you are dealing with a dealership that probably has a low CSI(customer satisfaction index). Which in the long run will put a sour taste in your mouth for the next dealership you go into. I have to deal with situations like this everyday and it's not fair to good sales people like myself.
     Sorry about your luck
    I know of several situations where a dealer took a deposit for a vehicle but had no paperwork signed. The dealer sat on the deposit (never submitting a charge or depositing a check). The dealer was not obligated to order the vehicle from the factory for the customer and because they refunded the money back to the customer, they got off "scott-free".

From my personal experience in ordering vehicles from the factory, I've always had to sign paperwork. The paperwork specified the options and color that I wanted on the vehicle. The vehicle was being made for me not the dealers' inventory.

Years ago, I also worked as a salesperson for a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. We would never order a vehicle w/o signed paperwork specifing the exact vehicle to be built and an accompaning deposit. I don't think the dealership was an exception to the norm.

Stephen
    in Surfer's case, the order WAS placed, although two weeks after the deal was made, but then it somehow got canceled.

Surfer, don't keep us in suspense... what did ya learn today???

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    When I ordered my Jeep, I gave them a $500 check which was held but never cashed. I did not sign anything. The dealer faxed me a copy of the order and the VON on the Tuesday following the Sunday I made the deal. It must completely depend on the dealer and your salesperson. This is roughly the same experience as when I bought an Explorer. Credit card number over the phone, verbal deal. I reviewed the order sheet once it was faxed to me the next week. Credit card wasn't run through, btu was "held" as a deposit.

Really sorry to hear about your situation surfer. Any chance of having a new dealer search regional inventory for you?

-twylie
  • 2003wrangler2003wrangler Member Posts: 24
    I have ordered 3 new vehicles (2 Jeeps and a GMC truck) over the past 5 yrs (I know....I trade WAY TOO MUCH!) and I have never been asked to make a deposit or sign anything in any of these 3 deals.

I think it really depends on the dealer and what vehicle is being ordered.

Kevin
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Well, my little white Jeep Wrangler X is a year old now. Man, time flys. I've put on almost 7000 miles, 90% of which where off pavement :)

Mods I've done:
    33x10.50 BFG MT KA
    2" spring spacer lift
    Bar pin eliminators (shocks)
    Old Man Emu shocks
    JKS quick disconnects
    Wheel spacers
    K&N Air filter
    Hidden Hitch

This next year I hope to beef up my Dana 35 rear axle and also replace the 3.07 gears with 4.56. Maybe even get air lockers front and back. I guess I'll need to get skid plates for the oil pan and steering while I'm at it, but I'm not in too much of a hurry since I don't crawl to much rock (yet!).

Now that I've had it a year, you'd think I would have picked a name for it by now, but no. I don't even know it's a he or she?!

Have a great time out there with your Jeeps!!!
    -Pete
    For your Jeep:

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear _____, Happy Birthday to you.

Come on, Pete, NAME that Jeep! Geez!

Hey, you da man I need to talk to. I have been wanting to go to 33 x 10.50 BFG Muds, but I know I would get a bad rub on my flares if I did that. I am already getting a light rub at full stuff on my 31 x 10.50's, so I know I would have to make some kind of compensation for 33 x 10.50's.

You apparently disconnect your front sway bar, since you mention quick disco's in you list of mods. So, how do you keep from rubbing your flares in extreme flex situations? You don't mention bump stop extensions. Did you install some?

We are both at 2" of lift, mine being Procomp springs, yours being spring spacers. We both disconnect the sway bar. Do you get some rub with those 33s???

I have AR767 wheels with 4" backspacing, and my tires DO stuff inside the flares when they are pointed straight ahead, but when I turn just a little bit when fully stuffed, I get some rub.

Maybe you do get some rub and just don't worry about it????

Fill me in, Pete.

Ain't these Jeeps the coolest things in the world? I sure wish I had the scenery you get to enjoy when you go off road!

Tom

Gosh, Kevin, you must be just like I used to be: trading cars all the time. Thelma Jane cured me of that, though.

Tom

Did ya go to Freehold Jeep, and did ya find out what happened?

The suspense is killing me!

Tom

• surfer454surfer454 Member Posts: 26
    I finally got in contact with the sale mgr (actually he contacted me). He has located some vehicles for me. I'll talk to him today at lunch. I have not decided if I even want to give them another chance. Perhaps I should just close the door on them and work with a different dealer.

The sales mgr claims that the factory is shut down for '03 orders and that is why my vehicle was cancelled.

More to come......
    Tom-

I don't get much rub from the 33's, but I haven't had full suspension travel until just now. I got a little rub from the rear tires at full stuff, very minimal, only on the inside wheel-well plastic liner - not the flares. I ran 1.25" wheel spacers at first in the rear and the tire would just start to hit the flares at full stuff. I took the rear wheel spacers out because I didn't want to add extra leveraged stress to my D35. The tires come close to hitting the rear spring perch, but don't, so I'm happy. I just added some rear bump stop spacers above the metal 'bell' bump stop holder, have yet to test if I still rub.

As for the front, the only rub I get has been at full turn, the compressed side will hit the sway bar. It was real noticeable at first, before I used the 1.25" aluminum wheel spacers, now it's a gentle rub only under max compression. Since it only happens at full crank under compression, it's no big deal and there's no signs of wear on the tires.

I just upped to the Old Man Emu shocks this week and haven't tested anything under full flex yet. This may yield different rub points. The stock shocks where a big limiting factor for how much droop the front suspension had and may have affected the other side's compression too. I was never able to flex the front like your pictures showed Thelma Jane doing, my shocks just weren't long enough.

Within the next week I should be able fully test this configuration and let you know. I will make a point of taking pictures to show the rub.

Other than that, I've enjoyed having 33x10.50's. The extra ground clearance has paid off time and time again.

I forgot to mention on my earlier post about another mod, Rock Bars/Side Step from Turbo City, these are some seriously heavy duty rails that you can lift the Jeep from.

I'll update later,
    Pete
    Well, CRAP! If they had placed your order the day you made the deal, instead of waiting two weeks, maybe your order would have been ahead of the cut-off date. Also, I'll bet ya that even on May 26th, the day they actually entered your order, the order was still OK. There's something they are not telling you. Why would the DC system have accepted your order in the first place, if the deadline had passed??? DC told you that you had a valid order, but that it got canceled, right?

Oh well, it probably IS too late now to order an 03.

Keep us posted, Bill. Good luck.

Tom

Thanks for the info! I will definitely be interested in hearing how things turn out with the latest changes, the OME shocks and all.

I never had a problem with rubbing on the inside, since I have the 4" backspacing on the AR767s. My problem has been rubbing the flares.

Tom

• kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    I finally got Pepe' back. Crank Position Sensor went out and the engine intermittantly would quit as I was driving! Pretty scary...

Not under warranty. Cost $290. OUCH.

Here is the worst part. While at the dealer my Jeep (along with some others) was broken into. Stole my new Stereo including the Amplifier. Tore up the Dash. Broke out the Drivers side Glass (I have full doors). Why they did not just unzip the top I will never know. Also destroyed the latches on my golve compartment and center console.

Took a while for them to get all of the parts in to fix it back up.

Since most dealers have a waiver that they are not responsible for stolen items I was happy they replaced everything for free. One thing I will stop doing is storing my Alpine face plate in
    the center console....

I will say that the engine has never been so smooth. I think I was having misfires and such from day one with the CPS going bad (it was bent or something). I must have just thought it was the way Jeeps were but now I realize I must have been having symptoms all along and not realizing it.
    Man, what a bummer! Is everything fixed to your satisfaction? The damage from the break-in, I mean?

I can't imagine going two weeks without my Thelma Jane!

Tom

I found a fairly secret place for my Alpine faceplate when I have to keep it in the Jeep. Lift up the passenger sit. There is a perfect spot just in front of the jack assembly. Someone would really have to know what they were looking for to find it. Also, in a black interior the faceplate isn't easy to see with a quick look or glance.

Stephen
    how they fixed up ol pepe'.

I agree that there are good hidey holes in the wrangler if you just think about it...
  • rhighrhigh Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone modify the seats in the 2003 wrangler to the same height as the 2002 and older. Really enjoyed the height of the 02 and older jeeps seats.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    there is a guy I've seen on JU that sells them. Apparently you can get 1" or 2" seat riser kits. Really not much to it. You could build your own, but for $25 you can get a complete kit and not have to hunt down all the parts. Hope it's ok if I post this here:

This thread has his contact info:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3- 76644&highlight=seat+spacers

-twylie
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Tom, Trey, Larry, and others...

A public auto auction just opened up about 6 miles away from me. They had several Jeeps out there... from CJs (I think) to YJs to TJs... maybe there is hope for my Jeep still!

Thanks, for the positive advice, everyone!

Hug your Jeeps for me! :-) (O|||||||O)

Marlon
    Anything to report? Sure am rootin' for ya to get a really good Jeep and a great deal.

How 'bout an update?

Tom

That's cool. You'll get your Jeep sooner or later. Just keep following that dream.

At least you are smart enough at 15 years of age to know how cool Jeeps are. Shoot, I was 51 before getting my Jeep! So, you are WAY ahead of me just by wanting a Jeep at your age.

Tom

• skwirl60646skwirl60646 Member Posts: 14
    My YJ's right rear brake line has a 1/4" groove worn into it where it rubs against the chassis frame about 12" from the brake drum. Thought it might be just my jeep but I've snuck a peak at
    4-5 other parked YJs and they all have the same wear patterns to one degree or another. Guess I oughtta just replace the brake line but I wonder if any other YJ owners could weigh in w/ opinions.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    If it were mine I'd certainly replace the line. Maybe consider a stainless braided one? Otherwise, I'd take a short length of hose with the same i/d as the o/d of the brake line. Slit it length-ways, then slip it over the brake line in the area of the rubbing and secure it with zip ties.
    Hey, Jeep Buds, Gill's site is back in business. It was down yesterday and earlier today, but it is working now. There was some kind of change in the phone line or something that had Gill down for a while.

Tom

For itsajeep, try leaving out the www, if you can't get the home page to open using the www.

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Well ive had TAZZ 2 years today..
    Still enjoying it like it was my 1st day.
    No regrets at all. BEST vehicle anywhere!!

BAMA
    Congrats, Terry, on having your baby two years!

Tom

Nice pics! (as always) You really do a nice job with that camera!

So, now that Mr Pete has some killer flex, he also has some bad rub, huh? Thought that would be the case.

Yeppers, Pete, Thelma Jane will definitely need something in order for her to get some 33s. More lift, bump stop extensions, or both.

Thanks for the pics.

(oh, they are in the gallery here, for those that haven't seen Pete's latest pics)

Tom

Hey, Pete, do you know the backspacing of your factory wheels? I know my Canyons were backspaced 5.5", and if you have the same on the type of wheels you have, then with your 1.25" wheel spacers up front, we are running about the same effective backspacing. I have 8" AR767s with 4" backspacing.

Since we both have 10.50s, although you have 33s and I have 31s, we ought to be facing a lot of the same issues. I don't understand how you are rubbing on the sway bar, since, as far as I know, I have never had that problem.

I don't have quick disco's, and I just run disconnected all the time, highway and all. I simply removed the bolts from each side and rotated the sway bar up, tying the ends up at the top of the spring perches with zip ties.

We need to keep comparing notes, so we can learn from each other's experience. Please let me know what you end up doing to eliminate the rubbing.

Tom

• dopleedoplee Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I have a 2000 Wrangler and there seems to be a leak on the front passenger side somewhere but I can't seem to find where the leak is coming from. With all the rain we've have the last few weeks, I've started to smell a stench in the car. The carpet was damp and I lifted the carpet and I saw that there was water underneath there.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? I read from a different post that someone had a similiar problem and it came from a heater that was not sealed properly. How would I know if I have the same problem? Is it something that I can fix myself? BTW, I'm out of warranty.

Thanks
    Can't say for sure in your case, but a very likely source of your leak is the lack of a good seal where the heater box goes through the fire wall.

Water will enter the cabin through this opening and run down the inside of the fire wall under the carpet. It collects in the lowest place, of course, which is in the foot well. The passenger side is where the heater box is located, so it sounds like this could be your problem.

I had this problem with Thelma Jane, and it was fixed under warranty in one visit to the dealership. They were familiar with the problem: it is a very common problem on the TJs.

So, this is where I would start, if I were you. I wasn't there to watch them do the job, but it can't be too tough. Just get some good silicone sealant and have at it.

Tom

I'm not sure what the backspacing is on my wheels. I do think we've got about the same effective backspacing, like you said, from looking at the pictures of your setup.

As far as rubbing on the sway bar, I don't think I'd have that problem if I had 31's. It's a very slight rub that wouldn't be there if the tires were just slightly shorter.

I'll update more once I tweak a few more things.

BTW, if you got quick disco's you'd be impressed with how well your Jeep handles in the corners after re-connecting. Once you get used to the handling characteristics of either driving connected, or disconnect, there is a big difference switching to the other. After only one day (~7 hrs driving) off road and gravel roads with the sway bar disconnected, I re-connected it for the pavement home, wow(!) it felt like a sports car.

Have Fun!
    -Pete
    Yeah, if I had the factory springs, I probably would not want to leave the sway bar disco'd all the time, but those Procomp springs with my lift kit are stiffer than factory, so I don't get a lot of lean in corners. I drive very conservatively anyway, especially in cornering. (I am much too young, virile, and good looking to die.) :)

Tom

Well? Whats the latest? Did your dealer locate you a Jeep that meets your requirements? Hope so!

Tom

• skwirl60646skwirl60646 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for a darn good tip. I was just going to try to replace the whole brake line segment. I'll try this first. Thank you again.
    Pepe' sat in the garage all weekend while I was away and I got back and the battery was dead! Sheesh I just got him back. Well it was so dead I could not even start it by dropping the clutch as I went down a hill. Put a new battery in and I am going to have the alterantor checked. I am worried that the audio place that re-wired and put in the replacement stereo made a mistake...

Working ok now... Keep fingers crossed
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Is it bad to start in 2nd gear? I have an '02 sport and I have noticed that if I start in 2nd gear it i smuch smoother. I did it a few times from stop signs etc while still rolling and then tried it a few times from a dead stop. I assume that the jeep's 1st gear is very low and 2nd may be on par to a regular car. Thoughts?
  • surfer454surfer454 Member Posts: 26
    Well I guess this is the final word on my Jeep dilemma. The sales manager agreed to sell me a Sahara for the same cost that I was going to spend on the Sport. Only downside is the that I have my 2nd choice color (black) instead of silver. Other than that I think it is all upside.

With that said, it should be getting prepped now and ready for pick up tomorrow.

My thanks to all of you for your support throughout this ordeal. The dealer gave me the video, so I'll watch tonight and figure out how to take off the hardtop!

Bill
    I don't think you are gonna hurt anything by starting in second, assuming you are not riding the clutch.

If you are not getting a smooth shift from first to second, try a different shift point. Maybe if you wound out first gear a little further, it would make for a smoother shift. Guess there's nothing wrong with starting in second, though.

Tom

YES!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, BILL!!!!

Black is a great color, if you are willing to spend the time keeping it washed.

Dana 44? Canyon wheels? Five speed?

Talk dirty to us! Give us the details.

MAN! I am so happy for ya, Bill!!!!

Get some pics posted ASAP, OK?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Tom

• 2003wrangler2003wrangler Member Posts: 24
    Glad to hear things worked out for you. I 2nd Tom's comments on keeping black clean. I think black is the best looking color if you are willing to clean it all the time and keep a good coat of wax on it.

Good luck!!
  • src48084src48084 Member Posts: 7
    I recently bought a new Wrangler from Manhattan Jeep. It was a pretty horrible experience. You see, my Jeep's sticker differs from what's actually on the vehicle. In this case it states 'full metal doors with roll up windows' but my Jeep has half metal door with zippered windows. I was so excited about finally getting the Jeep that it didn't even dawn on me till later the next night when I was going over everything. So when I called they said "Oh, you got a great deal (I didn't) and besides you saw what you were buying so too bad you won't be getting full metal doors? Can you imagine? What to do? Help. Also is there a way I can put in a smokers group and/or replace a softtop for a hardtop post facto.\
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I suspect that NY has a pretty proactive Office of Consumer Protection unless they've had their budget whacked like a lot of other states. Call the AG and see what advice they give you.

(btw, I removed your discussion in Aftermarket & Accessories since you've posted about this in a couple of other places around Town Hall).

Steve, Host
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Unless you signed paperwork to explain the discrepancy, they are seriously at fault. Take Steve's advice!

As to replacing parts after the fact......no problem. It just requires the application of cash.
    :-)
    Fight this thing! Like Steve and Mac have said, they can't legally do that to ya.

Check the VIN on your window sticker vs the VIN on the dash of the Jeep. If they match, then the Jeep should have what the window sticker says it has.

If the VIN doesn't match, I don't know what to tell you.

Either way, they should not be allowed to do that switch on you.

Don't know if it would be useful in this situation or not, but you can get the build sheet from DC by going to www.jeep.com and doing a search on "customer service." Then you go to "contact Jeep." You then click on the little envelope icon for "Customer Service, United States." Fill out the form (you'll need the VIN). They will very quickly email you the build sheet for that vehicle, and it will show everything that was on the Jeep from the factory. If you make your request during normal business hours, you coud have your build sheet within half an hour.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Tom