Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Tires and Wheels

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Ooops, my bad. :blush:
    Technically 225/45 R17 tires will fit on the 17 x 8.5" rear wheels of the 325i SP, however, you're correct, they will look pretty funny. That said, the 17 x 8" front wheels are just about perfect for both 225/45 R17 and 235/45 R17 tires. With the above in mind, I assume that the original poster intends on buying new wheels for the rear of his or her car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I suspect the original poster wants to put 225 Conti's on all four of his original SP wheels. The only reason I can see for doing this is to save money (the Conti's are much less expensive than the run-flat Pirelli's, which come in both 225 and 255 sizes).

My advice is to either buy a set of aftermarket 17X8 wheels like Shipo suggests, or stick with OE sized tires (225 in front and 255 in back) and bite the bullet on the pricier Pirelli's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=eufori%40&ind- ex=0&vehicleSearch=true&frontTire=245WR7EUFORI&rearTire=54WR7EUFORI&place=0&minS- peedRating=H&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minLoad=S
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    I got a flat last week on the RR of my 06'ZCP and the BMW Roadside will indeed provide you with a free tow only to the closest BMW dealer. They will not assist with the mobility kit because since M3s have no spare, they can only flatbed you. In my case, even in the center of Houston, they said 1 hour to get to me. They called me half-and-hour later and restated 45 minutes.By then my afternoon was in jeopardy of being shot, so I just followed the instructions with the M Mobility Kit air compressor and goo can, filled the tire back and hauled [non-permissible content removed] to Discount Tire, where I had purchased as soon as I bought the car the Road Hazard warranty. They inspected the tire, found the screw, but refrained to repaired because it was too close to the sidewall.They went ahead and special ordered a 255/35ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport (darn, this is the 3rd time the right/passenger rear tire goes on me -twice on my previous ZHP and now on my ZCP). In the meantime, I 've been driving with my M-Mobility kit repaired tire, holding good pressure (35 psi on rears), and I have even take it to 110 mph (just a couple of days yesterday).That's making me wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and keep it as spare. But I think I'll just follow the course of events, and get my brand new tire, (I already bought the M goo cannister, which is expendable -gotta have it ready for the next time) and kiss the repaired one goodbye. Someone told me the fix-a-flat repaired tire has a limited life, until the goo degenerates and you can never be sure, according to Murphy's law it will be flat/no good the day you actually need it. Besides, they need to use that rim where the air pressure monitor is currently installed (whoa Nelly, guess I read the M3 tire pressure monitoring system measures reduce circumference speed to detect loss of pressure, no sensors, anybody knows?), plus, the 19" rear, wider tire may not fit on the front wheel well if it were to be used there. I used to have the compact 17" spare on my previous ZHP (18"), same as LeatherZ sells. I only used it once, the original BMW jack is a POS, unstable as hell, had to borrow a Mazda scissors jack. So, I'm not thrilled with the prospect of changing tires. Mobility kit? It worked for me, your back in business (saves a ton of time) and if I would have not had the road hazard warranty, I now think I would have kept my repaired tire, until proved wrong. Hate to keep killing our planet with more junk to the backfills...any thoughts of keeping the repaired tire as a spare? :confuse: will it fit on the front wheel well? too big to haul in the trunk? I will listen...
    Edit/Delete Message
    I've had a couple of tires repaired that weren't "repairable" due to the location of the puncture. In each case I do in fact buy a new tire and then tell the shop that I want the old one plugged so that I can use it as a spare tire. In each case they went ahead and fixed the tire for me.

That having been said, I do my best to avoid asymmetrical tire setups and as such my tires are good on all four corners. Relative to your question, I doubt that you will be able to use your RR tire as a front spare, however, since that seems to be the tire you like puncturing ;-) , you might want to have it plugged and stash it up in your attic or something, just in case.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    You went 110 MPH on a flat tire that you "repaired" with a can of goo?!?! :sick:
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    I repaired the tire on Wednesday, Jan 24. I monitored the pressure six times between Wednesday afternoon and Friday (every time I had to restart the car), and even at 39F the pressure was right on the money (35 psi). On Saturday I was at the office and had to come home in a hurry due to a family situation (it has already being taken care of) and I went on the tollway, and had to floor it. I had forgotten I had just repaired the tire 3 days ago or I would have not done it. But then it hit me and I came to think that I would have never suspected that tire was ever repaired. Go figure.
  • jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2003 BMW 330xi without the sports package. It has about 14,000 miles on it. It came equipped with Continental ContiTouring Contact CV95 tires (205/50R 17 93V). I have been satisfied with the ride. The tires have not worn too well, however, and the dealer recommends replacing them with the same tire now (i.e. after about 4 years). When I have looked up reviews at Discount Tire and Tire Rack most buyers have found that these tires (i.e. the Continentals) don't wear well, as has been my experience. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S Tire is very well reviewed by buyers. Tire Rack offers it for the BMW, but Discount Tire does not even list it for the BMW. My BMW dealership states that the Michelin is not a recommended tire for my 330xi and that I might not be satisfied with how it runs on the car despite all the good reviews with other vehicles. Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Should I stay with the original tire that came with the car i.e. the Continentals or try a Michelin or any other tire that you can recommend? Thanks
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    You do not need RFT's so that is a good thing. Your Michelin's are good but IMO, the Kumho Ecsta ASX looks like a tire that can save you $74 per tire and are rated very good.

Regards,
    OW
  • rromearromea Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 330i with performance package. 18 in wheels. After doing considerable research on Tirerack, decided on Kumho ecsta to replace the aging rear tires. Fronts are Fuzion ZR1. No regrets so far, but I've put less than 5000 miles on them. Decided based on price and that they're rated all-season, not summer.

It would also help to know that I do not push these tires to their limit. Superb wet traction and low cabin noise in my experience.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Any major brand, V-rated all-season non-runflat tire should be appropriate for your car, if it is in the stock size.

Unless the Michelin tire you are considering is a run-flat tire, or has a lower speed rating, there should be no issues. It is possible that your dealer is just trying to sell you what they have access to.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• danmccdanmcc Member Posts: 3
    I am a first time BMW owner and have a 2006 330i w/sports package (love it!), currently with original RFT tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A). I managed to get 30K miles out of them! The car is in for service at the local dealer and I have been advised that new tires are needed. I received a bit of sticker shock when getting pricing on same replacement tires. Since I drive 25-30K miles per year, I am looking for a more economical tire but without sacrificing too much performance and ride quality. I have read all of the posts relating to this but I have not come away with a clear cut option on alternative tires. Assuming I move away from the RFT, can the forum provide me some guidance on tire selection to a novice. Thank you in advance!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Tire Rack is your friend. They list 18 sets of Summer performance tires for your car- with prices ranging from $600-$1200 a set. My picks would be the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, and the Pirelli PZero Nero. If wet weather grip isn't a priority The Dunlop Direzza DZ101 would be a great choice, and at $554/set it's also a terrific value.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

It sounds like you spend much of your time cruising on the Interstate as opposed to running laps at Lime Rock or other such venue. Yes, no?

Were I in your shoes I'd probably chuck the Summer RFTs and go with a relatively inexpensive set of All-Season GFTs. A set of four Kumho Ecsta ASX (225/40 R18 front, 255/35 R18 rear) will cost $516 from TireRack.

Another option would be to pick up a couple of extra wheels from the front of another 330i SP via E-Bay or some such and use those for the rear of your car thus allowing you to run the 225/40 R18s at all four corners (which also allows you to rotate the tires, further extending their useful life). If you go that route, you could buy a set of four Yokohama AVID W4S tires for $470 (also from TireRack).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I like the Kumhos as well. I was assuming he wanted to stick with a summer tire, but I think you are right in suggesting a performance all-season. The another benefit of going to the same size tire at each corner is that a bit of understeer is dialed out as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• danmccdanmcc Member Posts: 3
    thank you Shipo and Roadburner for you suggestions. While running laps at the track is truly in my heart, unfortunately it is not in my world. I am not familiar with the Kumho's. I have been on Tirerack, the front's are backordered (don't know how long that might be). Do you think I would notice a great deal of difference in ride and performance with these tires?
    I live in the mountains of Tennessee and do drive up and down a mountain everyday. I am not a performance purist by any stretch, but I do not want to put a set of tires on that I will be immediately frustrated with. I am definetly going to keep the wheel configuration as is. I realize this will eliminate the ability to rotate, but I will just have to live with the increased wear and reduced milage from the tire. thanks again.
    My bet is that unless you are constantly performing ear bleeding manuvers, I seriously doubt you'll notice a difference, at least from a negative, in fact, you might like them better. Others have reported increased road holding abilities on rough surfaces given how much easier it is for GFTs to conform to irregular surfaces.

Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ash11ash11 Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to lease for 3 years a 328xi, auto, with standard 16in wheels. The dealership quoted a price of $895 for the tire/wheel warranty, but I talked them down to $695. Is this worth it? I live in boston and occ. go to NYC. Thanks!
  • thomatlthomatl Member Posts: 7
    Just bought '06 325i w/sport pkg. Original tires are at 18k, show uneven wear, and roar at hwy speeds. Given problems and sticker shock of RFTs, will some please offer advice to the tire-challenged:
    Should I buy GFTs, join AAA and take my chances - or ante up and replace with RFTs?
    Replace with original sizes (larger in rear) or all four at same size so they can rotate?

I plan to keep the car for a few years, and likely never drive in winter weather. Thanks!
    Can you describe the uneven wear? Is it fronts, rears, left, right, or some combination? Is it inside tread or outside tread?

Go-flat tires will give you a better selection to match to your driving style. You could go with sticky summer tires that won't last long, or you could sacrifice some grip and choose a longer lasting (and quieter) touring type tire. Or you could choose a tire with a little bit of both.

If you can you describe your performance priorities, I might be able to make some suggestions. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being most important to you), rate the following qualities: high grip, low noise, wet traction, long tread life, smooth ride. You can rate multiple qualities with the same number if you want.
  • thomatlthomatl Member Posts: 7
    You bet. My priorities are.
    high grip = 3
    low noise = 5
    wet trac = 1
    long life = 2
    smooth ride = 4

I assume there is no way to fit a spare if I replace with GFTs, right?
    You could always buy a compact spare and keep it in the trunk.

The tire you're looking for is going to be either a "premium passenger tire" (ultimate comfort) or a "all-season high performance tire" (good mix of comfort and sport).

On the comfort side, I can personally recommend the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred as a very smooth riding and quiet tire. I put a set on my 2004 Volvo V70 and am thrilled with the way it transformed the car into a true luxury ride. Grip was also significantly improved over the original Michelin MXV tires that the Volvo came with. I was so impressed with them that I put a set on my company car - a 1999 Ford Taurus. You'd never guess it was the same car!

Other smooth/quiet tires comparable to the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (in my opinion - based on research/friends comments, not first hand experience) are the Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity, Michelin Harmony, and Toyo Versado LX.

If you would sacrifice some quiet and smooth qualities for a sportier tire, I can also personally recommend the all-season Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. I have these tires on my BMW M3 street wheels and am very pleased with their balance of comfort and performance. Ultimate grip is somewhat lower than a max performance summer-only sport tire, but at anything below crazy speeds, these tires perform exactly like a sport tire should - razor sharp turn in and great road feel.

Other sport/comfort tires comparable to the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (again based on research/friends comments, not personal experience) are the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

You'll be truly amazed at how much a set of tires can transform the ride/handling of your car. whatever your choice, if you choose the tire that fits your goals, I'm sure you'll be surprised and pleased with the results.
    I agree with fedlawman regarding the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tire. I put a set on my wife's X3 and they were a tremendous improvement over the mediocre Bridgestone OEM tires.

• rhody_88rhody_88 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2005 330xi that came with rft's as well as a spare. For what it's worth, I just replaced my Goodyear rft's (38,000 miles and still enough tread to reinstall them when the lease ends) with Yokohama Advan S4's (UHP A/S). I wish I had done so earlier because the car is much more enjoyable to drive with the Yokohama gft's.
  • memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    Based on the criteria you have provided, I would go with the Bridgestone RE050A pole position. I have had them for about 3000 miles and they have been great.
  • jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2003 BMW 330xi without the sports package. I need new tires. My dealer recommends that I should replace them with the original Continental ContiTouring Contact CV 95 tires (205/50R-17 93V). The original tires did not, however, wear well. Both Discount Tires and the Tire Rack have recommended the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires as a good alternative and buyers have given these tires a very high rating on the respective web sites. The Michelin tires are 205/50R-17 89V. According to the web sites the maximum load for the Michelin tires is 1,279 pounds, while that for the Continentals is 1,433 pounds. I know that the AWD is a heavier car and I'm therefore wondering whether the Michelin maximum load will be adequate for the car. I'm usually on my own in the car and at maximum there are two people in it. I also don't use the car much for transporting luggage etc. I would prefer to get the Michelins and the guys at Discount Tires tell me they will be fine for the car. Before buying, however, I would appreciate the input of experts on this forum as to whether the tire maximum load difference is an important consideration in my case. Thank you in advance, Jason
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Jason,

The current tires on your BMW are Extra Load for a reason, so you need to match the load carrying capacity.
  • sjthomassjthomas Member Posts: 61
    Hello,
    I just renewed my maintenance program for my 2003 BMW. Last time, when I took it to the dealer to check why the car is steering away, he advised to replace the tires and do an alignment. I have around 39K miles on it.

He gave a quote of $1200 for this job and will probably put the low end tires.

I am just wondering if I can take this to some local shop and replace the tires?

Any advice?

Thanks.
    Yes. You can also hit the TireRack web site and to your tire shopping on line.

http://www.tirerack.com

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I strongly second Shipo's advice. Your dealer's price sounds high. This spring I purchased a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires(for my wife's X3) from Tire Rack for $347 including shipping. A friend mounted and balanced them for free, but he normally charges just $12 per wheel. I then had my local dealer -Swope BMW in Louisville- perform the alignment, for which they only charged $116.95. $512 sounds a lot better than $1200.

• sjthomassjthomas Member Posts: 61
    Thank you for your replies.
    I think I have decided with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S as I want more all season and ride comfort all for $506.32. I guess, I have to put additional $200 for mounting and alignment. Also, I have a $50 Mail in rebate making it around $600 which is way less than the dealer quote of $1200.

According to reviews, this tire looks like a good one.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Exalto- +A%2FS&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=055HR6EXAS&fromCompare1=yes&place=75&speed_rat- ing=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(- Y)&minSpeedRating=H

Thanks again.
  • canman1971canman1971 Member Posts: 61
    I am wondering what would be better suited for my 04 325iT. I've seen good reviews for the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. They rated best among all snows. But I live in S.New Hampshire, where we get a good amount of snow. On my old 323i, I had Continentals, which were fine, but I want something a little more quieter. I'm also looking at the Revo's, LM-25 and WS-60. Shipo, I know you live in SNH, so what would you recommend? I'm sure either would be good, but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance.
    I've never used Dunlop or Continental winter skins, always Bridgestone and Michelin, and I prefer the Michelins. The Bridgestones seem to have a little more bite when they are new, however, as they wear they yield the traction advantage to the Michelins. Regarding road noise, I've run two different types of Michelins now, the Arctic Alpin and the X-Ice, and they are both WAAAAY quieter than any set of Bridgestone Blizzaks that I've run or that my neighbors have run.

Sorry I couldn't help you with the two tires that you're considering. :(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Don't be sorry, I am considering Michelins as well, just didn't want to post every tire I was looking at. I value those who have the same vehicle as I do and many of the reviews are not BMW owners. Thank you very much.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    I will second Shippo's recommendation. I have Michelin X-Ice on my 325 and they are very good in the snow and ice. As a matter of fact Shippo recommended them to me and I am happy with the results.

I don't live in NH but I live in the mountains of central Pennsylvania.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• olduglyoldugly Member Posts: 3
    I need new tires for my 2003 330Xi w/ SP (205/50 R17 93V) after 42K miles. I've seen this discussion but it concerns a non-SP car. My car came with RFTs, but I don't know that I want to get new ones. Do I have the option of regular tires, and is there an issue with different front and rear sizes? I've seen the Kumho Ecsta ASX rated highly, but searches on the local tire shop websites don't show that as an option (tirerack.com does, though). Are these RFTs? Will they go on front and rear? :confuse: Thanks!
    A few points:

1) If you do in fact have a 2003 330xi SP, your car DOES NOT have a true Sport Package, you have essentially the non-SP suspension adapted for the AWD system.
    2) If you do in fact have a 2003 330xi SP, your car DOES NOT have RFTs (or if it does it is an illegal installation as the 2003 330xi did not come with a TPMS).
    3) If you do in fact have a 2003 330xi SP, your car has the same sized tires on the front as on the rear.
    4) Kumho does not make any RFTs, however, that isn't an issue as by law you must keep GFTs on your car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the quick response. I must say I am more confused, as I ordered my car with a Sports Package, it came with RFTs and has the TPMS. I ordered it from the factory, and it was built to order and shipped directly to me in the states, so I'm not sure how I could get something that they didn't make. I checked a few other sites, and they reference a SP (including the edmunds price appraiser). Also, new-cars.com details the specs, and includes Wheels: Cast alloy, 17 x 7.0 (330xi Sport Pkg., run-flat tire option all models) and Tires: Run-flat option all models & 330xi Sport Package, run-flat 205/50R-17 V-rated Performance. This matches with what I thought I had.

http://www.new-cars.com/2003/bmw/bmw-330xi-sedan-specs.html
    Hmmm, I think I stand partially corrected as this is the first I have ever heard of a pre-2006 BMW being shod with Run Flat tires. I checked around a bit and so far at least, the only web site that confirms the information you linked on the NewCars.com web site is TireRack, and as I have a fair level of confidence in they're data, I guess it's true. My bad. :blush:

I'm curious to find out exactly what make and model tire you have on your car (TireRack says it came with a set of rather pricy Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMTs)? Yes, no? If yes, geez, at $248 per tire, those suckers are expensive.

With the above in mind, your "xi" doesn't truly have a Sport Package as what comes on the "xi" models is just trim items and not the suspension and better wheels and tires. Said another way, unless you had non-standard wheels and tires put on your car, it came with 205/50 R17 tires all of the way around and as such you don't have to worry about different front versus rear tire sizes.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I know run-flats were a possible option on our '05 E46 convertible... I was surprised to find that out..

But, they were using them on the Z4 as far back as the '03 models... so, offering them on the E46 wouldn't have been much of a stretch, I don't guess...

You've got room for a spare, buy another wheel, and ditch those runflats...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, they are the Goodyears, and the dealer quoted well north of $1K to replace them, though even they mentioned I could get cheaper ones. Every tire on it now is a 205/50 R17, so I think I'm good there. Thanks.
    "You've got room for a spare, buy another wheel, and ditch those runflats..."

I whole-heartedly agree. Lose those RFTs, the savings will more than pay for a full-sized spare.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sky11sky11 Member Posts: 7
    Got a 2005 330cic with the zhp package, Michelins for tires and they are run flats. Can I simply replace the tires with the appropriate sized GFT's? Not familar with how the TPMS works but is it even an issue if the tires are replaced? Would it be better to go with 17s' since I am not a track guy and do mostly highway with some twisties just to keep the smile in place?
    No issues. You can replace them with go-flats.

Not sure what you mean by "go with 17s." If you mean your car currently has 18" wheels and you're thinking about moving down to 17's, then the answer is yes, it will probably smooth out the ride without a noticeable decrease in handling. Of course, it will cost a lot more money to replace both the wheels and tires.

FWIW, I think that after driving on 18" RFTs for this long, going with an 18" Grand Touring GFT tire will improve the ride considerably - probably enough that you won't need to go with 17s.
  • sky11sky11 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply - just thinking about the difference in height of the sidewalls between the rft and gft - non issue?
    The fact that the tire is GFT or RFT doesn't matter. RFT's simply have a stiffer sidewall in order to support the weight of the vehicle in the event of a loss of pressure.

If the RFT and GFT are the same size, eg. 225/40R-18, then they are the same size (sidewalls included).
    I agree... stick with 18"... But, go with regular tires...

If your car doesn't have a spacesaver spare, I'd buy one, though... It should fit in any E46 model trunk.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Well, I think I am going to go with the Michelin X-Ice. I was going to go with Tire Rack but Town Fair Tire quoted me a total package for $949, which is a bit lower than Tire Rack, plus I get a free alignment, lifetime snow change over, and lifetime flat repair and lifetime tire rotations. Sounds good to me. Am I missing anything? Thanks for your replies.
    I eventually went with a Toyo. Talked to some people and said they were the best for the money and Michelin was ok, but you paid for the money. Lets hope they are right. Same price, but seem to be a little more what I was looking for.
  • jerryf2jerryf2 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 328i without sport pkg. The manual allows 205/55/16 or 225/50/16 or 225/45/17. Given the same tire, say a Yokohama Advan S4, what are the specific advantages and disadvantages of each size. I asked at the dearlership where it was apparent that no one knew. BMWUSA did not respond to my email query.

I understand that all 3 sizes have the same diameter. What is gained and lost by changing the section width between 205 or 225? What compromises were BMW engineers trying to achieve in choosing the 205/55/16 as original equipment rather than either of the other sizes?
This discussion has been closed.