Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• klr075klr075 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a base model 2004 Impala-purchased new from Sherwood Chevrolet. For roughly 3 years now it has slipped from 1-2 gear from a stop. occasionally the car will shift hard throughout all the gears while i am driving. Sometimes I swear the bottom of the car is going to drop out- thats how hard the 1-2 shift is. a while back I had it assessed (for over $100) and they decided to perform a "Reset procedure on the shift points" This was supposed to "Re-Learn" of a drive and shift accordingly. The Chevy mechanic also claimed "He shifted properly when he drove it". Welllll guess what? It doesnt, and didn't. Wave goodbye to $800!
    The car has now also started to display the security or "passlock" light and this often engages and doesnt allow the car to start..I just get an electronic sound when I try to turn the engine over. This happens more during a humid and hot day, but does occur during the winter. Sometimes 3 times a day! i've called the dealorship to inquire about this but I always get "transferred to someone who knows more"...coincidentally nobody picks up the line and my messages are not returned.
    The fuel guage has also stopped working and im not sure if this is related to the Passlock security system (perhaps the worst chevy invention ever conceived) or another problem.
    I've loyally gone to the same dealorship and related service centre for the past 8 years with this vehicle and all ive gotten in return are unresolved problems to add to the growing list of new problems. This car has been entirely unreliable and a financial pit. I am extremely unimpressed and dissapointed in chevy. This car has under 98,000km on it with regular service. I find the problems unacceptable but the service advisors just talk to me like im an idiot....of course while handing me another $1500+ bill. I am just waiting for the day the car just quits on me for good..what a joy
  • hondo2001hondo2001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Impala LTZ, with 56,000 mi and the same slipping problem that you all are having. Took it to my local Chevy dealer and we could not duplicate the problem, no matter what we tried. Two months later my wife and I went up north to Mackinaw city, and in stop and go traffic, it started to slam in gear at take off. Took it back to my dealership with an Edmunds forum in hand, and they said they are starting to here more of this problem, and they will rebuild the trany. Word of advice, on any new model car like mine. Budget in the best extended warranty they offer as I did. Tranny rebuild $2,500 Extended warranty $1,000 do the math.
  • reedgirlreedgirl Member Posts: 8
    Extended warranty worked for you, my car was 20,000 km over the extended warranty. It only had 90, 000 miles on it. Needless to say I'm still fuming!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning hondo2001,

We're glad to hear that you've been able to get a resolution worked out with your dealership (and hope that your trip to Mackinaw wasn't too interrupted by the transmission matter).

Is the repair in progress, or do you already have the Impala back in your possession? Let us know how it's running once you have it back!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • charmer37charmer37 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 2003 Impala Ls and i am also having a transmission problem, I purchased the car at a used car dealer with 125,000 miles and everything on the car works but i'm experiencing a hard shift issue, I have read post after post and joined so many forum's and it seem's that everybody that own an impala are having similar transmission issues. My impala is currently in the repair shop getting checked out as i write this post...My mechanic also said that "GM" need to step up and do something about their "faulty" transmissions! :mad:

P.s. The only happy ending is if my transmission need's to be replaced the dealer cover's the cost :shades:...Thank God...LOL
  • rbell5rbell5 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Hollywood 13. My 2008 Chevy Impala SS has the same symptons as yours. What did you find out was wrong with yours?
    Hello rbell5,

Hopefully you'll hear back from hollywood13 soon! If we can check into anything in the mean time (recall or warranty information, for example), feel free to email us the last 8 digits of your VIN at [email protected]

• upsstretchupsstretch Member Posts: 4
    have same problem with my 2004 ss impala with 86k miles intermittent tranny slipping.was told needed a rebuild at about 2500.00.have been driving for 1ok miles now hasnt gotten any worse.will be buying a Toyota next time gm needs to have recall on this issue.keep everyone informed about what fixes the problem?thanks
  • rbell5rbell5 Member Posts: 2
    Took car to GM Dealership Saturday morning. Bad ground on Body Control Module (BCM) showed 42 code errors. Fixed Ground on BCM rechecked codes, 2 came back. One was for the driver side HVAC actuator and the other was for a fuel tank pressure sensor. Cost $56 dollars and some change for the HVAC actuator and 70 something dollars and some change for the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. $35 misc shop fees. Total $1014 and some change, a over $700 Labor.... I am in the wrong profession with labor that high, another reason this country is in the shape it is in......
  • charmer37charmer37 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I definitely agree that "GM" need's to have a recall on their transmissions :lemon: , I was told by "GM" customer service that since my Impala is 9 years old they couldn't help with any financial cost..."GM" is a joke :mad: ! The next car i buy will definitely be a import :) ...I will update everyone soon when i find out a fix for our Impala's :) !

P.s. A rebuilt tranny for $2500.00....WOW :mad: !!!
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    GM screwed me with my Cobalt as well. This company sure likes losing customers.
  • shernan61shernan61 Member Posts: 2
    ATTENTION TO ALL 2004 CHEVY IMPALA OWNERS:
    If you know someone that owns one of these cars and they are having problems with the electrical things, please have them contact GM. Please forward this to ANYONE

and EVERYONE that may have this car. I will have the website below after I am done saying what I have to say. I have owned my car for about 5 years now. My wipers

work when they want too! Yes, I said when they want too. The car has some bypass security that causes the car not to start so you have to wait 10 to 20 minutes for it to

reset itself. REALLY!!! The battery light comes on randomly while driving down the road (yes, it has bee replaced). The Heat/AC works when if feels like it. I had the

blower replaced two times. Now the Heat/AC DOES NOT turn off when I turn the car off so I have to open the hood and pull out the fuse everytime I get out of my car.

Of course, I put it back in if I need Heat/AC. Sounds like a fun car, huh??

I contacted GM for them to tell me to have it checked at a Chevy Dealer. I let them know that I have in the past and they CANNOT find anything wrong. One customer

service rep said maybe someone tampered with the car. Another told me, I have a lot of miles on the car. He said this is not a recall because they have not heard of this

problem!! I for warned him that this is going to go national because of ME!

Well, I guess every 2004 Chevy Impala must have been tampered with according to my research. REALLY???? Well, I let him know that I was going to post this on

Facebook, Twitter and every Bulletin Board I can find. I am going print this out and put it on every 2004 Chevy Impala I see in any parking lot.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, spread the word to those that have this problem and go to the below website!! Have them inbox me with their results! Yes, I am PISSED

and they have NOT heard the end of this! I apologize to any of my friends that may work there ahead of time! Thank you, Sandy

http://www.chevrolet.com/help/contact-us.html (you can email them or call them. If you email them, believe me, they will call you back)
  • chevytranschevytrans Member Posts: 6
    Well folks I just spoke with a GM rep who in short said they are not responsiable
    across the board for the 04&05 impalas be it the trans issue and the electrical issue and yes the psaaylock system (spelling sorry) email me lets compare notes [email protected] my transmission is back to kicking dirt and second gear any ideas on or luck on repairs wipers temp gauge please just email thanks I can't afford to repair this car again
  • crsnkelcrsnkel Member Posts: 1
    first off I will say how much i LOVE my Impala!! Its an 07 with maybe 55k on it. I baby my car. However lately its getting more common to what I think 'tranny or gear slipping'.. Im no mechanic by any means. It only does it when I'm pulling off from a dead stop. The first time it 'bogged' i guess you can call it, it felt as though someone rearended me. Freaked me out. Sometimes it jerks harder then others. Its hard for someone to 'diaginose' it because they dont drive it everyday and when you want someone to feel it, it never does it.
    I assume its the tranny. Sometimes it seems as though the RPMs are out of wack too. I do all the schedualed maintence on my car in alloted time. I dont beat it, she's in fantastic condition. No accidents.. So I know its nothing I've done. Just wondering what you all have figured out on what to do because we seem to have very similar issues? hoping its an 'easy' fix also.
  • blackssblackss Member Posts: 2
    2008 Imp SS w/ similar problem, 40k miles. intermittent rev/clunk on take off, usually when cold and warming...I've called GM customer service 2x's, received help from zone rep....dealer can't reproduce, and says no diagnostic codes...so I'm out of luck. Not much option here...sell it, or wait til it fails, hope it's still under warranty...It's unfortunate, liked the car...
    Good afternoon crsnkel,

We understand that it would be difficult to get this diagnosed as it is intermittent. If you were to ever decide upon working with a GM Dealership and wanted for us to check into the situation further, please be sure to contact us at [email protected] (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Good afternoon blackss,

We're sorry that your dealership has had difficulty reproducing the concern with your Impala's transmission. If the concern starts to happen more frequently and you want for us to reopen your case (or start a new one), please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] with the last 8 digits of your VIN.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • alvin16alvin16 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if the transmission from a 3.4 will fit on a 3,8 motor? :confuse:
  • alejandroayonalejandroayon Member Posts: 1
    Same exact issue with my car currently ! It's also a 2007. It's never been in an accident, and I try to take very good care of my car. It's got 78k miles on it though, and since I didn't buy it from the GM local dealership here, i bought it from another dealership, I don't know what I can do about this. It seems like the slipping is getting worse and I feel as if the transmission will soon just fall completely out of the car. Let me know if you have done anything about it?
    Good morning alejandroayon,

If you decide to get this checked out with your GM dealership, please be sure to keep us updated on that visit! We're available to assist in the process, and can be reached at [email protected] (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• billshellbillshell Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 impala. when I too give it gas there is a little shake and the car revs and then catches like someone hit you in the back end. This started at 70000 miles when it was under warranty. Took it too the dealer ship and they said that there is no code showing. well, it kept happening and I kept telling my service rep who said the same things. no code we don't know. So i took it in for brakes and told the rep it is worse. he said before anyone drove it that i should keep driving it because sooner or later a code will show up. what crap! Now it has 11200 miles on it and they say they will only pay 50% to fix it. Even though I had been telling them about it since 70000 miles. I like the car BUT GM DOES NOT GIVE A RATS [non-permissible content removed] ABOUT THESE PROBLEMS. No code, no problems. I will never buy a GM again because they do not back their waranties I have been buying from the same dealer for 27 years and his answer was that they would pay 50% of my half. They don;t care that I reported it at 70000 and now its out of warenty so its my fauly. I will now buy a ford or a foreign car and take my chances, For all the blogs I have read about this problem happening to others, it seems that GM knows about it but says nothing. It really is call General Mess. Glad the gov ownes it because it will be out of business again. All obama did was give the unions a ballout! They are still a crummy car company!!!
  • fixmyvehiclefixmyvehicle Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I have read problems about my car that I have been experiencing but tonight I had to register and post about it

I have a 2008 Impala SS.
    I bought it used from the chevy dealer with 70k miles in April 2010. It wasn't untill a week later i learned that it was a rental car. why a rental company would want a SuperSport is beyond me...
    It now has 91k miles.

Anyway, I experience the same slipping transmission problem. I have taken it to the dealer for other problems and they never experienced this one. Tonight I was driving it and it decided to not drive altogether....I stopped at a stop sign and when traffic was clear I tried to make a left turn. The engine revved but the car did not move. I tried again in drive and again in reverse. Only after turning the car off was I able to drive for about 50yards and it quit again. Turned the car off again, made a u-turn and went back to the side street of the original stop sign and the car quit again. Just had it towed, good thing for AAA...

the other problems experienced were the "service stabilitrack" and "engine power loss" dash warnings. Just got it back from the dealer on Monday(10-15-12) for a PO443 code, replaced the Purge solinoid a month ago and got the code again so they recommended rewiring from the purge to the computer. If the engine light comes back on they said it could be the computer.

Who else loves when the company who built the car says: "It might be....that is wrong with it"

I will never take my car back to Valencia Chevrolet
    FIX MY CAR
    billshell,

We can certainly understand how this is frustrating for you; have you opened a Service Request with Customer Assistance on this yet? If you would like to, please contact us via email at [email protected] with more details (including your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

fixmyvehicle,

We're sorry that this possible transmission concern has come up, and we understand how frustrating this must be after having just gotten your vehicle back earlier this week for a different issue. If you want for us to check into this further with you, please contact us at [email protected] with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• sickofchevysickofchevy Member Posts: 1
    Sorry Chevy, we could not come to a fair conclusion concerning my vehicle. I will have the repair done at my cost and will turnaround and sell the car and buy a Ford. I am fully tired of POOR Chevy Quality, it is terrible, and customers are going to be sick of it. How a company with service issues that have caused re-designs to occur, then asked the customer to pay for fixing these defects, is in business is amazing. But one-by-one, your customers will rebel, and this is my first email of thousands I plan to send out, outlining these issues for all to see. As soon as I have some time, I will make certain that I get on the many social websites dedicated to car buying and make sure everyone knows my story. I am fed up with the "OLD GM" and now the "NEW GM". Please contact me by email and I will lay the issues out in detail.
    sickofchevy,

We're not certain if you currently have a vehicle and are experiencing difficulties. If we can check into the situation further, please email us at [email protected] with more information (including your name, summary of the situation, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• falcon4420falcon4420 Member Posts: 4
    I have 2005 impala since new with about 70K miles. The problem is similar to the ones described here, mine shifts "violently" specially after drives of 10 miles or more, the problem can occasionally be fixed by shutting the car down for a couple of minutes and restarting...any one else run into this?

The folks on these posts are correct about GM standing up to the plate like Toyota just did and fix these lemon transmissions.

My other car is a 1989 Ford bronco II and it runs like a champ!, it's embarrassing to drive this impala "lurcher" with company...Shame on you GM! :mad:
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    These transmission problems are caused by a faulty module that costs around $300 to replace. My mother's 2006 Impala had this problem and a local mechanic diagnosed it right away.
  • shernan61shernan61 Member Posts: 2
    I am so with you on this one. My car has been to the dealer in the past and they could not find the electrical issues. Now that I contacted GM, they want me to take it to the dealer and pay for the diagnostics testing again to see if it is something as a recall. Really, as much money that has been put into it already, they want me to pay for this. Why don't they offer me a voucher to have this looked into. If it is not a recall, then I will take it to get fixed. Sick over this!!!
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Yes on my 2004 Impala and I had the trans fixed for $1000 15000 miles ago (has 150,000 now) and it shifts fine with no problems. You have 2 choices, have the valve body rebuilt and solenoids replaced for a $1000 or dump the car. If you continue to drive it the way it is you will eventually need a full trans rebuild for $2500+. Time to cut your losses and no, GM will not pay for it.
    Good morning falcon4420,

We're sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your transmission. If you were planning on working with a dealership and want for us to check into this further with them, please email us at [email protected] with more information, including your name, summary of the situation, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.

• carguy2013carguy2013 Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree with sickofchevy. What good is a vehicle if it keeps breaking down? A 100,000 mile warrantee, that's more than . . . What good is a warrantee if the warrantee repairs don't last? I have always (almost) bought chevys. I own 4 vehicles right now and all 4 are chevys. I love impala's. Well, I used to. I bought a brand new 2002, and had problems. A lot of problems. Fixed them at my own expense. When it was time to buy a new car, I told my wife we should buy an Impala SS. Salesman said it had a different transmission than the "regular" Impalas and was much more heavy duty. I convinced her that was good and it would last. Well, guess what? Transmission started acting up, hard shifts or engine rev then slams into gear, etc. No problem, 100,000 mile powertrain warrantee. Brought it to dealership and they said it was covered. I was told it would be replaced. In the end, they "rebuilt" it. This means, they replaced just what they had to to get me moving again. Why do I say that? We were out shopping for a Camaro this past weekend (planing on keeping the Impala and using the Camaro on weekends) when the transmission started to do the same problems it did when it went out before. We have 12,000 miles on the "rebuild". I went online and found a GM service bulletin that stated the transmission should have been replaced based on what was found in the pan. We stopped looking for a Camaro.
    I'm just tired of buying new cars at top $ from GM that they don't stand behind. If there is a problem, FIX the problem right the first time. Or design it right from the start instead of design a transmission that is not heavy duty enough to take the loads from the engine.
    Now I need to replace my transmission again. And tell as many people as I can about GM and chevy quality and warranties. A 60,000 mile warrantee on a car that doesn't break down is better than a 100,000 mile warrantee on a car that keeps breaking down. And chevy, one by one we will all leave.
    carguy2013,

We're sorry to hear that you have lost confidence in your vehicle. If we can check into the situation with your Impala's transmission further, please email us at [email protected] with more information (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• dwhitmer1960dwhitmer1960 Member Posts: 6
    I'm getting the same run around as the other people on the forum. I have 90,500 back in September 2012 I started experiencing the hard shifts of my transmission from a stop to start. Doesn't do it all the time. I heard it could be the Pressure Control Solenoid. I took to to Jim McKay Chevrolet because it's still under warranty. Back in May, 2012 Curry's Automotive failed my inspection due to hub assembly and the leaking of the transmission seal. My husband and brother replaced the seal and new filter,l and put new dextron 6 transmission fluild.
    I'm getting the same run around as the other people on the forum. I have 90,500 back in September 2012 I started experiencing the hard shifts of my transmission from a stop to start. Doesn't do it all the time. I heard it could be the Pressure Control Solenoid. I took to to Jim McKay Chevrolet because it's still under warranty. Back in May, 2012 Curry's Automotive failed my inspection due to hub assembly and the leaking of the transmission seal. My husband and brother replaced the seal and new filter,l and put new dextron 6 transmission fluild.
    dwhitmer1960,
    Was your transmission concern resolved in September at Jim McKay? If not, and if you want for us to check into this further, please email us at [email protected] with more details (including your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

I already went to the the local dealership regarding my problem, the service department said that there was nothing wrong with the car and gave me the bill...any thoughts on that Sarah?

I am confident that there is an underlying problem with Chevy's transmissions as the web is full of owners with the same issue. I cannot afford to and will not go to another dealer and waste my time and money.

Thanks for your response.
  • alexialancealexialance Member Posts: 8
    I strongly encourage all of you to look into the internal service memos offered by other customers throughout this forum involving the torque converter. There are defects in one of the impala drive trains. Mine happened to be one of them. I have a 2007 SS Impala that I will be selling as soon as it is repaired. The first sign of a problem with your transmission will be a slight vibration while in drive. This will then become a slight groan through normal driving about a month later. Following this, your transmission will begin to slip and lurch violently. I got my car to a chevrolet dealership who told me it was my fault for letting someone other than him do my 50000 mile transmission fluid and filter change. He said, I quote, "a clip was missing". The problem he overlooked was that the transmission had run fine for the next 10000 miles and a year later until the first problems began. As a result, he said the other firm who performed the work damaged the transmission. Fortunately for me the firm that performed the work has taken it upon themselves to tow the car back to their business to investigate every part of the transmission and they have already picked up on the torque converter problem through the computer.

Before you take your car back to a Chevrolet service center, arm yourself with every internal service bulletin involving the torque converter. Unfortunately, these internal memos have never quite made it into an actual recall which is so sad and shows what the company has become. Good Luck. We were all a Chevy family for many, many years, but unfortunately, things change and companies and their priorities change.
  • i_hate_chevyi_hate_chevy Member Posts: 1
    Lets face it, the Impala sucks! I personally own a 2001 Impala LS with every option except heated seats. THANK GOD I'M A MECHANIC BECAUSE THIS CAR COULD KILL SOMEONE IF LEFT UNSERVICED! My car is OVER SERVICED and I can barely keep it running.

Here is a run down of what you need to do to fix the most common problems with the least amount of money.
    1. ABS-TRACTION CONTROL(piece of crap and dangerous)
    -replace wiring from front wheel sensors all the way back as close as you can get to the main branch of the harness. You must solder these wires to ensure it will last and add two layers of shrink tube if you can and then double tape the wiring from the frame out to the tire. NO MORE WASTING MONEY ON NEW HUBS FOR 100 A PIECE!!!!!!! By the way chevy hosed you on the wheel bearing and sensor deal because they are the only brand that has the wheel speed sensor in the wheel hub and are not separate pieces.
    2. TRANSMISSION SLIPPING?
    -ok guys this is a combination deal and not one problem is the main issue. first, change cat and res tube on exhaust. second, get a reverse flush on the tranny and ADD A BOTTLE OF SEA-FOAM FOR TRANNYS(this will save you 1,000's). If you took my advice and changed the cat then you might want to find out what caused it to go bad. well I'll tell you what made it go bad. GM USED CRAP SEALS ON THE INTAKE AND AT 60,000 THEY START TO LEAK AND BREAK DOWN SENDING COOLANT AND OIL INTO THE CYLINDERS AND ONTO THE CAT. The added back pressure from the cat will cause the tranny to work hard and then you get a bad pressure solenoid as a result.
    3. INTAKE MANIFOLD SEALS
    -YOU MUST BUY THE FEL-PRO 2 METAL SEALS!!!!! TO FIX.
    Follow my directions and not the book on install of these! First, you must try to resurface the area around the coolant jackets because of corrosion. Next, a small layer of RTV around the ports and then put the seals on. Next, clean all bolts and put thread sealant on and hand tighten a little at a time following a pattern from the inside out in at least three to four sequences. DO NOT USE A TORQUE WRENCH-TO MANY ISSUES THAT GIVE YOU FALSE READINGS AT SUCH A LOW FT-LB OF 15 LBS. YOU WILL KNOW WHEN YOU HIT THE RIGHT TIGHTNESS BUT NEVER GO PAST TIGHT TO MAKE IT OVERTIGHT. THE SEALS WILL SMASH TO MUCH AND CONTORT.
    4. HEATER/AC ISSUES
    -First off you have a bad resistor if 1-4 settings don't work and 5 does. why? because only 5 doesn't use the resistor because it is full power! If five doesn't work start off by checking the fuse on the passenger side. If the fuse is bad thank your lucky stars. If not then your heater control unit is bad or your fan. You will know what to do if you have the skills for the next steps, if not take it too a dealer.
    5. WATER ON THE PASSENGER FLOOR
    -SUPER EASY FIX- open hood and then take off the plastic cover where your cabin filter is on the pass. side just below windshield. You will see a rubber seal that has fallen off. Use silicone or rtv to stick back in place. You're done!
    6. POPPING NOISE IN SUSPENSION
    -ok now this all depends on what else you've already replaced. If you're at your wits end and have replace almost everything you will understand. Chevy cheaped out and only put one spot on each side of the sub frame to connect it to the unibody. Over time oil soaks the one of the passenger side and it starts to pop when putting the car into gear or hitting bumps and slow speeds.
    Also, the strut tower mounts are made to last a month from the factory lol. They are plastic on plastic and dirt gets in between the plates and they bind up and make the steering feel awful.
    7. TURN SIGNAL INTERMITTENT
    -well this is just plain stupid because the turn signals go thru the hazard switch and if you jiggle the hazard switch when having a turn signal issue and you'll notice they will either go back on or give you a flicker of hope. problem solved and ebay has the hazard switch for 25 if you need it cheap.

I HAVE REPLACED AND REPAIRED THESE ISSUES SO MANY TIMES ON MY CAR i CAN'T TAKE IT BUT WITH THE ECONOMY I CAN'T AFFORD A NEW CAR. I JUST REPLACED THE ENGINE AND TRANNY IN MY IMPALA WITH A 2004 BUICK REGAL ENGINE AND TRANNY. GUESS WHAT? IT HAS A BAD PRESSURE SOLENOID IN THE TRANNY.....I WANT TO TAKE A ROCKET LAUNCHER TO MY CHEVY PIECE OF CRAP. OUR FAMILY HAS NICKNAMED THE IMPALA THE LIMPALA BECAUSE ALL IT DOES IS LIMP ALONG. I HATE YOU CHEVY AND YOUR DAMN BAIL-OUT AND YOUR UNIONS THAT RIP OFF AMERICANS.

I WILL BE BUYING A HONDA OR TOYOTA WHEN I HAVE THE MONEY AND I KNOW THEY WILL TREAT ME RIGHT.

OH AND WHAT'D YOU DO TO YOUR DEALERS? DID YOU TELL THEM TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO NOT REPLACE THE CATALYTIC ON THE RECALL. MY CAR HAD 115,000 AND THE CAT WAS SO OBVIOUSLY BAD BUT BOTH CHEVY DEALERS IN TOWN WOULDN'T REPLACE IT. YOU SUCK CHEVY AND I HOPE EVERYONE STANDS UP AGAINST YOU AND YOUR DAMN UNIONS.
    On November 4, 2012 I have dropped my 2008 SS Impala off at Jim McKay Chevrolet in Fairfax, VA. This will be the second time for the transmission. VIN #2G1WD58C989162178. Hard shifting shutter from a stop 1st to 2nd. Jim McKay said no codes and it didn't do it for them. It's doesn't do it all the time.
    That is exactly what my local dealer in FL told me, plus no codes on the onstar either....
    Also told Jim McKay to keep it for 4 or 5 days to test drive it. I also told the service guy that I will come and drive it and have one of the techs ride with me.
  • chevytranschevytrans Member Posts: 6
    well #392of 409 If and only If none of us purchased another GM car we can make them feel it, like we have to feel it. just keep telling folks and at some point gm will have to face the loyal customers they screwed! I'm so pro 'non" gm. funny how the dealers know this and will try to get you to buy this crappy car (I know) another of my family members went to gm up in nj rt 22. needless to say when I was done they went across the road and picked up a honda. sorry gm I can't sit back and watch you do this to people.
    Take it from someone who knows....I have just had my 2007 SS Impala Transmission rebuilt and not by GM since they said the company that last did the routine transmission servicing caused they problem. (the transmission company management were as shocked to find this out as I was but held on to their integrity with me by fixing it at just the cost of the parts to completely break down the transmission.
    I am afraid from the description you provide that you have about 3,000 miles left before the transmission begins to lurch from standing still. Start recording this problem now with GM. If it is not covered under the ORIGINAL 3 year warranty, more than likely, they will not cover it or find a reason not to. They will offer you an option of purchasing a new transmission at about 3,000. Do not accept this offer. The transmission must be broken down. There is a flaw in its design. That is the reason the new transmission is cheaper than rebuilding it. Sorry for your problems. I know how you feel, but I don't think the flush will work.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    If we can check into this further with your dealership, cwhitmer1960, please email us at [email protected] with more information (including your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Jim McKay replaced the PC Selenoid on my 2008 SS Impala today, 11/6/2012
    To all that are having problems at between 60 and 70K miles on their impala transmissions of these years, please note this.

When you take it to the Chevy dealer of your choice, which is what the gm customer service department will tell you to do, they will offer you a "deal" of putting in a new transmission at around $3,000.00 with a "warranty". Do not accept this option and get out of there if you have to have your car towed to a reliable transmission specialist.

Ask any transmission company who just handles transmissions and they will tell you how many of the Impala transmissions (also in other gm vehicles) they have fixed. What gm does not want you to know is there is a design flaw in the transmission itself so the option of putting in the same flawed machinery is not as good as it sounds. In order to fix it, it has to be broken down. Now my Impala runs better than it did when it was brand new. It has the feel of so much more responsive power like a car from the late 60's. However, I own this car because it was my dad's last vehicle. I WILL NEVER OWN A GM PRODUCT AGAIN.

GM blamed my transmission specialist who just did routine maintenance on the car for the beginning problems with the transmission. (NOTE: I HAD ALREADY STARTED A DIALOG WITH GM CUSTOMER SERVICE PRIOR TO THE TRANSMISSION COMPLETELY BREAKING DOWN) Expect this response if your car has been near any other service source.

Forewarned is forearmed! Buy Ford or a foreign brand!
  • woody7171woody7171 Member Posts: 1
    Hey had shutter from a start, then it went away but started sputtering at 80km an hour,took it in to a chevy dealer,6 hours later said it was shift solenoid,3 days later tranny was slipping bad, brought it in for service,got there and when they went to drive in bay I lost all forward gears... now the tranny is out and they say its the forward clutch and drum. Oh I have A 07 SS,
    Im hoping this takes care of the problems the PC Shift Selnoid. We will see.