Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Brakes

robmoyerrobmoyer Member Posts: 1
I hope someone can help me. I have a 2000 grand prix and yesterday my abs light came on as did my trac off light. I took it to a repair shop and they used a scan tool and it came up with no codes. The mechanic took it for a drive and did a 4 wheel abs test and it worked fine(the light wasn't on at this time) Now when I start the car the lights are off but after after a few minutes I feel a quick grind in the petal and the lights come back on. Please help me...

Comments

• mrbill3mrbill3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Grand Prix seems to be running fine but all of a sudden all of my brake lights, both above and below, died at once.
  • blackeyeblackeye Member Posts: 2
    My lights stopped working a few months ago, but the blinkers stopped also. The mechanic told me some moisture got into the stering collum where the blinker switch is and corroded the conections. He cleaned them and havent had the problem since.
  • billyc232billyc232 Member Posts: 5
    When that happened to my 99 it was related to the front bearings and the abs sensors. I ended up going through multiple front bearings and sensors until I got a good set. According to my garage they were bad aftermarket parts. Fortunately guaranteed and the garage did the work for nothing after the initial installation. Good luck!
  • fourty6fourty6 Member Posts: 2
    I really dont know but if it were me Id disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to drain the computer memory and let the computer do a reboot and erase any cliches it might have to do weird things. Just a thought and its cost nothing but resetting your radio stations.
  • julie62julie62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 grand prix too and today I had the same problem with the abs/trac lights coming on. After driving a while, I checked the rotors to see if they were hot. One was very hot and turns out I have a brake caliber that is freezing up which causes the abs light to come on. The abs light would not come on until the rotor got hot enough.
  • rocket98rocket98 Member Posts: 9
    Same problem with my 2001 GT, ended up being the ABS sensors. The grinding will continue to get worse until they are replaced. The ABS still works fine, just the sensors were bad. Mine were replaced under warranty, but I think the dealer said it was around a $200.00 job.
  • jmac74jmac74 Member Posts: 10
    I just signed up to this, so that is why i am emailing late. I have a 2000 GTP and mine did the same thing. I ended up replacing the left front hub bearing twice, so far it is ok, but the traction control unit is bad so the trac off light and abs light stays on constantly. I was getting ready to fix it but the engine caught on fire, still waiting to hear from the ins. co. on a cause.
  • sr44sr44 Member Posts: 1
    Brake light failure all 3; I replaced bulbs in both the tail lights(braking lights) and the "3rd" light on back top shelf. Back top shelf now works but the tail lights still do not. WHY ? I have all my running & night lights and turn signals. I noticed a "mrbill3" message dated 10/7/05 with the same problem. I'm new to this forum and would like to know what he did to finally get it fixed ? How did he/you do it ? Thanks for the help
  • wobblywobbly Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I made the mistake to take my 2005 Grand Prix GTP to Germany. I am stationed at the U.S. Army Regional Medical Center in Landstuhl. Apparently, Pontiacs are neither sold nor serviced in Germany or Europe for that matter. Usually, there is some kind of service (military sales) for members of the Armed Forces but all the information I get from GM is completely useless (non-existing phone numbers and e-mail addresses). So much for my warranty. Anyhow, because of the different driving conditions, I ran into problems that I didn't realize while in San Diego. First of all, starting at a speed of 110 miles per hour, there is a terrible noise coming from inside the dashboard. I cannot detect any vibrations and it does not sound like wind noise but more like a mechanical noise. It's so loud that you cannot even talk in the car. This is my main problem. Perhaps somebody else stationed in Germany and accustomed to the German Autobahn has had the same problem?
    The second issue is that the car won't go over 200km/h, or 125mph. There is apparently a limiter built in/programmed that does not permit the car to go faster. So most German compact cars can easily pass me. I understand that the domestic engines are not made for constant high speed driving (unlike the BMWs for example), but I would like to have the ability to mobilize speed when needed. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this while being overseas?
    Finally, the brakes are disaster. I had everything checked and had a full service before shipping the car. However, these brakes are completely unfit for the speeds that are commonly driven here. Does anybody know about any upgrades that could remedy this situation?
    It's very frustrating. My other car is an old (92) 318IS BMW. The engine is not even half the size of the GTP engine, it only has 140bhp instead of the 260bhp of the Pontiac, and it is 13 years older. Yet the little BMW kicks the Pontiac’s [non-permissible content removed] any which way it wants to. The Pontiacs handles like a boat on the narrow, winding roads. Unlike the BMW. And on the Autobahn, the beamer's top speed is 215 km/h as listed in the title while the GTP quits at 200km/h. I love the way the Pontiac looks. But I hate that almost any German compact car is faster than my GTP while only consuming half the gas.
    Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion how to fix any of the above problems, I would greatly appreciate. I would hate to sell my GTP, but in Europe, it is next to useless. Oh well.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • ajohnson187ajohnson187 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Wobbly,
    I am also relatively new to the "GTP" experience. I purchased my 2002 GTP 4 days ago. I have been doing ALOT of research on mods and tuning the last few days. The solution to most of your problems would be to get the PCM (Digital Horsepower Inc. v1.0 PCM for Grand Prix GTP ). This will take the limiter off, and increase hp by changing shift points and temp check points. There are a few mods that also need to be done in order to get the best gains (and least amount of knock) out of the GTP. A great site that has all the parts your looking for is : link title

This site explains what each component will do as well as anything needed. To get best results these mods need to be done:

Developed with the average 3800 enthusiast in mind, this calibration has been designed and dynamometer tested and proven for the following vehicle modifications installed:
    - 3.4” - 3.25” pulley
    - Cold air induction system (brand not applicable)
    - Cat-back exhaust system (brand not applicable)
    - Premium fuel (91+ octane)

FEATURES:
    - Speed limiter removed
    - 3-1 and 4-2 skip shifts (Active in performance shift mode only*)
    - Transmission line pressure increased (Active in performance shift mode only*)
    - Shift points moved (5800-6000rpms) (Active in performance shift mode only*)
    - Fan turn on points altered:
    - 186 degree turn on
    - 2 minute fan on at key-off (this feature activates when engine coolant is 179 degrees or greater)
    - MAF calibration adjusted for proper operation and year
    - Digital Horsepower Inc. fuel/spark adjustments:
    - En-richens fuel delivery for critical problem areas
    - Provides a consistent power gain across the entire power band
    - Reduces spark retard (knock retard)
    - Removes “40MPH WOT lag”
    - Dynamometer testing has shown up to 20 HP gain in 60 degree temperatures on a development vehicle. Click here to view the dyno results and detailed explanation.
    *NOTE: Cars without the performance shift button will require a wiring harness modification for these shifting features to be enabled.

This is the best mod and most cost effective way to increase your gains accross the board. The PCM is like $100.00 (pretty cheap mod), but the exhaust can run 300-500 bux, and the intake runs 250-350 bux. So with about 7-800.00 bux you'll have a low 14 sec car, with no limiter and about 280-290 hps. Quickest and simple way to answer all your problems. I have also heard that these are relatively simple engine mods. My buddy is in the army and is in Germany as well, he is a Hummer mechanic. He always is telling me stories about the audobon (sounds like it would be fun!!). His name is Kelly Dood (nickname NEMO), If ya know him tell him Adam said "what up!" and good luck with your GTP. Peace
    Adam Johnson
    Adam,
    Thanks for your input. I already found the Digital Horsepower DCM at www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GP3901&P- roduct_Count=18&Category_Code=04UNDER
    But it says that it is not intended for the stock GTP. Moreover, installation will void my warranty. So unfortunately, it will have to wait until after warranty is up. There should also be a way to reprogram the original part. I will look into that too.
    My main problem is the awful noise I am getting at 115mph. But I hope to get this solved. While GM in the States is completely clueless regarding Pontiac in Europe, I managed to find a GM dealership in the area that honors the warranty for military personnel (found it in the military finder's guide). I have an appontment on Memorial Day and hope that they can fix the problem.
    The other problem, however, is that the brakes are already a disaster at a speed of 125mph. When I had to hit the brakes at that speed, it scared the [non-permissible content removed] out of me. While the brakes on my 14-year-old toy BMW have no problems with even higher speeds, the Pontiac is definitely not up to the task. My conclusion is that the car was never meant to be driven that fast. It's a shame. It is beautiful. It got muscle. But it doesn't have what it takes. It's all show. Like I mentioned earlier, the handling is also a disaster. I never realized all this while in the States. But it is a completely different ball game over here.
    As for your body, ask him where he is stationed. I am in the K-Town area. There are about 50,000 Americans in this area alone. And a lot of GTPs too.
    Thanks again and all the best for you and your GTP.
    Tom
  • ajohnson187ajohnson187 Member Posts: 2
    Tom,
    I didnt even realize the year of your GTP. I've got a 2002 so its a bit different set-up. I was up around 123-124mph on the highway today, and I didn't feel any knocking, or hear any sort of noises. The motor felt quite strong but I could tell I was not gonna get more than 4-8 mph's faster ( I had to slow up a bit due to traffic in MY LANE!! LOL) But anyways I haven't been able to top her out yet (not sure where the limiter is set at on my year, Ive got the series II motor) I love my GTP, maybe its just the year, car companies always seem to screw up perfectly good models and engines with their "performance" standards. My brakes felt pretty good as well at the higher speeds, I didn't slam on them but I did do a little VERY LIGHT tapping. I forgot where my buddy is stationed (yeah I know I was pretty vague with his location and I forgot how much military is actually in Germany at all times...lol). I think he is in the eastern part (sorry not very familiar with Germany). Anywayz good luck with everything, I have a great amount of respect for all US military. Thank You and Hopefully you can get those GTP probs figured out. Peace, AJ
  • ksgtpksgtp Member Posts: 2
    Hey Bro, sorry about your problems there in Germany. I have a 2002 GTP, and I hated the fact that it shut down @ 120 on the turnpike here in Kansas. I know, gutsy to drive that fast here. Anyway, the problem w/ that would be a stage 1 pcm from www.zzperformanceparts.com This will get rid of the top speed limiter, and lower kr, which is good on a supercharged car, and give correct shift points etc. etc. All in all this helped my car extensively. I can now go about 140mph. w/ no problems. Also, this will not affect your fuel milage at normal ( U.S.) highway speeds. Not sure about 100+ mph. Again, w/ the brakes. You will want a ceramic based pad for your front brakes. The cheapie semi-metalic pads that GM puts on the car suck. Spend the $100 and get ceramic pads, it could save your life. You can also get those on the same web site, or on www.pfyc.com and I believe either website ships international. If you are still wanting more power, then look into the smaller 3.4" supercharger pully. Will add about 30-35 h.p. on your car.
    Hope this stuff helps.
  • chele5chele5 Member Posts: 8
    First I want to say thank you. This site has been a wealth of information and very helpful. Just about everything that has gone wrong with my car has appeared here!

I have a 2001 Grand Prix with 130,000 miles, 3.8L engine and a recently rebuilt transmission.
    That being said, the latest trial and tribulation we have going on with my car is that there is a strange sound coming from the front end. It sounds like a pump running for a short period of time, (like the water pump in my dad's RV!). This occurs only at slow speeds (under 20mph). The ABS light and the low trac light do not always come on at the same time nor do they always come on when this sound occurs. The low trac light appears when there is not a problem with traction :confuse: . And to make matters more confusing, the brakes work fine. We will not take this car to the dealership - because they've lied to us in the past and I do not trust them. Other than dealers, do other mechanics have an ABS tester? And does this describe a possible problem with the ABS system?? Thanks for any and all feedback - it is greatly appreciated!
  • prixmogranprixprixmogranprix Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Grand prix and it's doing the same thing and I've been to the dealer many times and they don't know what I'm talking about. I maybe a girl, but I do know my car and what and when something is wrong. It all started with the shifter. Something was spilt down in the shifter column and got wires and connectors sticky. The dealer recommended a new shifter. For what they charged for one and to put it in was over $800. I went to a Nissan Dealer and order the part and had a certified machanic replace it for me. It was working fine until my coolant light kept coming on. My mechanic did the radiator flush relplace the manifold intake gasket, and put in coolant. That was fine for awhile and then the shifter wouldnt release out of park. I noticed when I stepped on the brake to release the shifter to put it in gear the gear light would sometimes go out or sometimes come on. If the light was P light was not lit when applying the brake the shifter did not move. If I kept pumping the brake until light stayed on then I could shift out of park. When it didn't work by pumping the brake I had to push in the release button to get it out of park. And now the key would be stuck and didn't turn all the way to the off position, so therefore you had to play with it over and over to get key out and at sometimes it just wouldn't and they key had to stay in there. I took it back to the dealer and them to fix it and they still recommeded the shifter to be replaced. I told them that this was all ready done and the only reason they are telling me this is because the computer still showed that I declined the repairs. They did not want to hear the fact that I got the part and had a certified mechanic replace it. They told me then my mechanic didn't do it right and it wasnt their problem and for me to take it back to my mechanic. So, I did...and my mechanic talked to the dealers mechanic and mentiond that I didn't need a new shifter. Well, needless to say I've had to live with this problem for 6 months. Well, yesterday the ABS light stayed on and so did the Trac Off light/and which some how made the steering difficult. But when the ABS light and Trac Off light would stay off, the steering go better. I then took it back to the dealer, they did some kind of test where they scanned for codes. Well, they told me that i needed to replace the ABS modulator and the price, $1023. Not including labor. I have since yesterday been looking at the junk yard for same part but used. I may have found one but need to see if it is the same one. I think they could've done this and saved me some money if they had done the test/scan in the first place they would've known the problem. I know this has to all tie together some how...? Can anyone answer my analogy? They wont listen to me ... maybe someone out is listening and can help me on this one.
  • chele5chele5 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your reply - I too have had a bad experience with the dealership and refuse to go back unless I have NO other option.
    I can't tell you if all your problems are related. But my experience has taught me that the dealers have a way of "only fixing what they have to" when they know that more will need to be done at a later date. This way they can charge you again for labor. (that lesson was learned with my transmission!).
    So get many opinions if you have to - please let us know what you find out.
    Hi,
    As I mentioned before, I am stationed in Germany and took my 2005 GTP with me. Apparently, the car is not made for the high Autobahn speeds over here. Top speed is limited to 125 mph, tires are only "H" rated, transmission overheats (oil pan too small) during long Autobahn drives, and the brakes are a complete joke at high speeds (i.e., very, very dangerous). Compared to the brakes of a BMW, a Porsche, or even a Corvette, one can clearly see where the problem is: the rotors are way to small in diameter to give adequate performance. Again, driving conditions here cannot be compared to the conditions back home. When you drive 120 mph or faster (150 mph is not out of the ordinary, 200 mph are not unheard of especially with bikes) and a car going at half the speed decides to get in front of you without warning, you need brakes that can handle a situation like this.
    My question is, can I upgrade the brakes on my 2005 GTP (not just the rotors) with the ones installed on the 2006 GXP? Would they fit? Could I keep my rims? Does anybody know?
    I would appreciate any help.
    And while I am at it: Did anyone here try the transmission pan cooler for this car? Did anyone here put in an additional transmission oil cooler in his 2004 or newer Grand Prix? If so, which one worked out good for you in terms of ease of installation and fit.
    As always, all help is appreciated.
    Thank you!
  • gsmith13027gsmith13027 Member Posts: 1
    GXP premature brake wear!! :sick: Has anyone experienced this problem yet??? I have 23,000 miles in my first year of ownership. 98% of my driving is highway/freeway. As I write this message, my car is sitting at the dealership waiting for a set of pads to be overnighted. With no warning, my fronts are down to metal-to-metal. As near a I can tell, the pads retail at $150 and the rotors at $750. This is pretty poor performance when I am used to 60,000 miles, at least, between brake jobs on my 2 previous GTP's.
  • spdrushspdrush Member Posts: 15
    With 60/40% rural driving, my brakes went out - no warning at 13000 miles. Rotors turned and GM Ceramic pads installed cost $230.00.

Braking performance is same or better but no more brake dust!

Others seem to be having the same brake wear.

Your mileage is about correct for the performance brakes with Metallic pads.
  • rmozolrmozol Member Posts: 124
    Did you guys have to eat the cost? I put on some EBC "Reds" to lower the brake dust a LOT. They also sound better and stop quicker. I guess that I'll watch the wear thing too.
  • daveradavera Member Posts: 13
    Anyone having excessive brake dust? I have been cleaning brake dust since I bought this car. I just turned 12000 miles and the brakes started making noises. Took it to the dealer and found both rotors worn bad and outer brake pads shot, inner ones were half worn. Dealer wants to turn rotors, I want them replaced. Car is barely a year old. I owned a 2000 Trans Am and it still had the original brakes after 30k+ miles and 5 years when I sold it. I don't want to have to do brakes every year. Anyone else with problems?
    Yeah, if you read back a few pages there's more details. I was tired of the brake dust on the fronts, so I installed the EBC "Red" pads. Now, both wheels look the same after weeks of driving which is fine by me. I guess if they turn them and they're still within the minimum thickness, I don't know if you can force them to change them can you?
  • punchitpunchit Member Posts: 7
    I put NAPA ceramic pads on my wife's GXP at 23K miles. These brakes are very high performance, so 23k is not unreasonable for this type(also, drilled rotors will wear pads quicker than smooth rotors). The pads were $97 (dealer wanted $115 with 8-10 day wait for order). They seem to stop as quickly as OEM, with greatly reduced dust. Also, I was quoted $70 for new rotors (2 Atlanta dealerships). I did not replace them at this time.
  • daveradavera Member Posts: 13
    Thanks punchit, I ordered NAPA ceramics last week and they will be here tomorrow. If all the dealer will do is resurface the rotors I will have them do that, and I'll install the ceramics when I get home. It concerns me the amount of wear I have in only 12 K miles, never had a car wear out brakes in 1 year before. I figured if I was seeing brake dust, the pads were wearing and not the rotors. The extreme rotor wear was a surprise. The backs look brand new, no excessive wear at all (and no dust) so I just need to replace the fronts.
  • punchitpunchit Member Posts: 7
    I was told it takes special equipment to turn drilled rotors. Mine were grooved somewhat, but I'll wait 'til next pad replacement. Let me know what you find out about that.
    Thanks
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    With the "EBC RED" does the harder pad create a brake squeel, or wear into the rotor??
    Neither. The material is light in color, so they just don't have that black dust on them. They don't squeal since they supply some adhesive backed isulator.
  • spdrushspdrush Member Posts: 15
    My dealer dressed the rotors (no grooves) and I replaced with GM ceramic pads (no more dust on the wheels). I find the braking is better and the pedal firmer with ceramics.

Most of the tweaked GXP's use ceramics as replacement or a pad from EBC or other aftermarket co.

Cost for this at dealsership $230.00.
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I have been reading the posts re the premature brake replacement on the GXP's. And, some say they had no indication of a braking problem. My brakes seem fine. I have 16,000 miles on my 2006 GXP and will need an oil change in about two weeks. At that time I am going to ask them to check the brakes. My question is this: when you talk about grooves in the rotors, do you mean deep cuts. When I look at my rotors, and feel them, I have no cuts, but just lines. Also, this may seem like a stupid question, but is the material or I guess camel rubber around the rotor the linings or pads. Someone said his were down to the metal. My camel padding around the rotor is thick. Also my rotors have drilled holes in them and seem smooth. Can someone answer my maybe "stupid" questions, please. Thanks. Chats1.
    The only stupid question is an unasked one! Ideally, the rotors should be smooth and flat, with no scratches at all. This way, the pads grip a smooth flat surface; the more area, the more stopping power. Your talking about two tons of weight, at 60 MPH, being stopped by 30 square inches? When you drill holes, for whatever reason, they should be chamfered too. If not, the hole edges will dig into the pads. The pads can also leave gouges scratches, in the rotors too depending upon their material. The more gouging/scratching, the more wear. The "rule of thumb" is that if you can catch a fingernail on it, it's too deep and it's just a matter of time before repair/replacement. Minor scratching is just pad particles; dirt basically. The scratching won't really wear a rotor down, but the gouging will. There's also wear indicators on the pads that start squealing when they get too low. The factory pads only have this thing on the inside pad since that one wears the most since it's on the pistons. My inner pad was pretty close to the wear indicator, with only 2 K miles on it. The best thing to do is watch the pad wear, and measure the rotor thickness and monitor it. I'm not sure what camel padding is either.
    thank you very much for your response re the brakes. My rotors seem smooth. My fingernail does not go into them. I made sure last night. Just got that black dust on my finger. Can I ask you where the pads are located? I can fit under the car. Can I look under the car and seem them or does the car have to be on a lift? Also, I had read about the squealing sound if the pads are going in the manual. I have no squealing noise. I have no noises. I am always listening for noises. OnStar sends me a monthly bulletin, which I really did not want, but they sent it anyway telling me that the engine is fine, anti-lock brake system, fine, emissions, fine, etc. thanks for your help. chats1
    You can see the backs of the pads from the outside. They're sort of kidney shaped, with one on the inside of the rotor, and one out. If you look at the red caliper itself, you'll see two cutouts. It sort of looks like a bridge with two "channels" under it. The two channel-looking things are where you can see the back of the outer pad; if it's black, it's the pads, if red, the caliper. It will be rubberized feeling on the back of the pad too. This is to prevent the high frequency vibrations we hear as squealing. As far as the wear indicator, it's only on the inner factory pad since these move the most. You'd have to disassemble the caliper to see it though, unless you crawl under the car and look with a strong light. It's basically a piece of metal that scrapes on the rotor itself causing the noise; metal to metal scraping. It's only on one end of the inner pad too. Obviously, you're aware of it now, so you can do a detailed inspection at regular intervals like oil changing, tire pressure check, etc. I hope I didn't insult you with the basic explanation either.
    Thanks very much. I appreciate your help. You did not insult me at all. Thanks. Chats1
  • bmwguy2bmwguy2 Member Posts: 13
    hi my name is mike,i have a 01 gtp special edition coupe,i am also a bmw tech,i honestly can tell you dont listen to alot you may read ,first off,cols air intake is ok ,but if you go thru alittle rain water ,it will be ingested into the engine,,you can not compress water ,so damage will occur,its like jumping off a diving board in to a pool of water and landing on your stomach,ooouuucchhhh,cols air intake is for the track,no where else ,unless you have money to burn ,on the oem pontiac air intake box,the air filter sits high,with drains at the bottom to let the water out before it does damage,i see it in bmws all the time with dinan set ups on bmw m5s and m3s and on the 540 smart buying the car ,stupid for the cold air intake,they should have bought a ford and trashed something that was gargabe from the start
  • etcbetcb Member Posts: 42
    Same here. I own a 2005 GXP and I'm on my second break job at 40K. Looks like this time my rotors are shot. Not to mention the special tires for the GXP will set you back a GRAND! The rear breaks are not affected. GM wonders why Toyota sells more cars? duh...
    I've been noticing lately that I'm getting a LOT of rusty specs in the paint on my white 2006 GXP. They've been telling me that it's road grit, but I'm beginning to wonder now. I think that it might be front rotor specs that are hot, and stick to the paint. It's all along the rocker panels, and the rear bumper. there's hundreds of these on both sides too. I went to the EBC Red pads, that are non-metallic too; for less brake dust. I only have 7K on this thing too!
    Who makes ceramic pads for GXPs? I don't want all the brake dust either. Thanks.
  • ocjohnocjohn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Grand Prix with 4 wheel disk brakes I purchased new. It has the SE & LE package + a special package that gave it different suspension (lowered), body trim, wide 150 mph tires, special engine & drive train components.
    The brakes have been bad since I purchased the vehicle.
    I noticed this after taking delivery and returned to the Pontiac service with my problem. I was told there was nothing wrong with the brakes.
    I again returned and complained the brakes do not stop the car in an emergency stop but are adequate when normal stops are required.
    I explained, I have more stopping power at a medium pedal, than when I step hard on the brakes. It's as if I'm easing off and using less pressure for a more gentle stop when I apply them hard.
    This time they replaced the brake pads, I believe this was at around 6000-8000 miles. This, however, did not correct the problem.
    I then had premium pads & shoes installed elsewhere, this did not correct the problem either.
    I again went to the dealer for a repair solution but my car was returned untouched with the explanation I voided the warranty by having the brakes worked on elsewhere.
    Now I was on my own!
    I replaced the master cylinder for a few hundred dollars, again no improvement.
    Another shop said it was the power booster and $600+ later I still had bad brakes.
    I then replaced the rotors on all wheels and pads again, no improvement.
    I replaced the calipers, no improvement.
    Then I had installed race car pads and had vented rotors but still no improvement.

I then suspected the anti-lock brake unit. I wanted to replace it but was told it works as the factory built it.
    I suggested a different unit but was told it could not be done due to violation of some law regarding brake mods and I could be sued if I had a wreck because I modified it, plus my insurance company would then have reason to refuse the claim.

This car will run faster than I want to drive it even if I had normal brakes, thus the 150 mph tires it came with, but it won't stop.

I have driven it less than 52,000 miles in 15 years for this reason.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have spent thousands of dollars with no results.

Thanks for your time.
    John
    They should have a procedure under the Lemon Law. As long as you complained within a year?, the rest doesn't matter. After three tries, they should replace the car too. Look in the onwer's manual, and it lists it there. I'm leaning towards the same thing on my 2006 GXP now. The rotors are getting scored and grooved, after only 8K miles! What speed rating are your tires? There will be a V, Z, W, etc.
    I have 23,000 miles on my 2006 GXP and now need front brake pads. Cost $279 plus labor. The dealer has to order them so they will be installed tomorrow, 4/10/07. I never had to replace the brakes on any of my previous 3 GTP's. The technician said they were down to 3 mm. Most of my driving is in stop and go highway driving also!!! At least I have gotten all of my oil changes for free so that sort of makes up for the $279, but I have no idea how much the labor will be. Will know tomorrow. chats1
  • billytombillytom Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find an answer? I have a 2000 GT thats doing the same thing.
    Thanks
  • jensey7jensey7 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 grand prix just began vibrating while I'm breaking. It's not everytime...just when I'm slowing down from about 35-45 mph to come to a red light or something like that. My cousin has the same car and hers is doing the same thing. Our tires are new, our brakes and roters appear to be in good shape, so we're stumped. I wondered if anyone out there has had a similar problem.
  • pawlpawl Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    Another VERY common problem is the large wire harness on left (drivers side) front. The harness rubs the Air Conditioner Accumulator mounted below the air cleaner box. After it rubs enough, it will start to cause "Ghost" ABS problems as the ABS wire shorts to the accumulator. It WILL not set codes (usually). It WILL actuate the ABS system for VERY short periods of time (milliseconds).
  • kcsapkcsap Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, just signed up to post this and hopefully get some feedback. My wifes cars an '03 Grand Prix GT it has 56000km, we put all new brakes on the car at 48000km and new tires at 52000, now a person would think that these parts would last longer thn roughly 50000km, but hey I'm not a GM engineer... Now I get in the car today and the front rotors are crap already, 8000km in less than one year and they are crap again!!! 8000km, no parts can be that poor, unless they were a bad batch. The tires?? goodyear eagle LS from the factory and they had 5mm of tread left at 56000
    Talking with my auto parts dealer, he tells we that these cars need to have the rims torqued on or they become unbalanced and warp the rotors as u brake, so I always make sure every time the wheels are off that I torque the nuts to 110, so what gives??? 8000km and the rotors are warped!!!???? give me a break, my in laws have the same car, year and everything and have had the same problems with the brakes and tires.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has this happenned to them, I love this car its great to look at but If I have to replace the brakes yearly its not worth it!! Please let me know back here or you can email me at kcsap@hotmail.com thanks

-Kris, Ontario Canada
  • szamudioszamudio Member Posts: 2
    Wow, I have a 2001 grand prix and only once have i changed the brake pads. at 94k miles.bought at 34k miles with new pads from dealer. never had bad rotors or a vibe.whats with all these problems? any one have an answer to the vibes and bad brakes?
  • szamudioszamudio Member Posts: 2
    i am installing a new parking brake cable from the pedal to the rear wheel assemblies. at the conncetor where the main cable connects the left and right wheels is a connector. the old swedge is stuck in the connector, how do i get it out? :confuse:
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    All,
    Took my 07 Base Grand Prix to the dealer, a scraping sound in the rear when I lightly apply the brakes. They look at the brakes and said fronts and rears are fine (only 7500 miles). I later figured that it only happens when the car is cold. Also only with partial application of the brakes. Anybody got any ideas? When the car is warm and been drive no sound is made.

Thanks,
    Gary
  • dsjrdsjr Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 GP. On occasion when braking (it seems like it happens the most when turning)it feels like the anti-locks are kicking on. It does it while braking under normal conditions. Anybody know what the problem may be? Thanks.
  • redplanet1redplanet1 Member Posts: 1
    I've had to replace pads and resurface rotors 3 times in 1-1/2 years due to excessive wear and vibration in the steering when braking. The ABS lights have never come on. The first time Sears said it was due to a bad caliper. I replaced that along with pads, a rotor resurface and a system flush. Worked fine for about six months when the vibration started again. This time the dealer said the same caliper was bad and needed replacement. Ok, it did it again and all was well until about 90 days later when it started all over again. Pads down to zero with uneven wear, etc. I took it to a brake shop who said that it's probably the proportional valve in the ABS but , of course they sent me to the dealer. The dealer ran tests and said that no error codes come up. What's going on?

Second, the engine runs hot when on a climb and is variable, I've had it to the dealer who changed sensors, rodded the radiator, flushed the system, changed the thermostat and says there are no error codes and no co-mingling of fluids so not to worry! This just ain't right! I know that something is wrong. Any ideas?
  • blueknight1blueknight1 Member Posts: 2
    I have just been informed by my dealership that I'll be needing front brakes next oil change. I have just turned 26,000 km or just over 16,000 miles. I was asked if I consider myself to be hard on brakes. My answer is no in that I've never experienced any abnormal brake wear in any of the other vehicles I've had. They told me to make sure I listen for any netal on metal sound before my next schedule oil change at the 30,000 k mark. My GXP is a 2006 model and another point was my dealership didn't stoke thes pads either. I'm wondering if this is a manufacturer's issue.