Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Wheels and Tires

simplystressedsimplystressed Member Posts: 10
To the SS owners that have driven with the stock wheels/tires so far this winter...any updates or new opinions on driving with these in the snow?? Thanks.

Comments

• ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    I haven't driven in any snow since I live in the cold winter rain capital of the world (Sussex Co. Delaware), but the SS tires seem to work great in the rain. I've also put 93 octane gas in the car for the last two fill-ups and I've noticed about a 2-3 mpg increase.... :-)

The mileage still isn't great, but the car is definitely fun!

John
  • worrworr Member Posts: 45
    John,

What do you get for milage?

Can you get over 23 on the highway?
  • ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    Yes, when I was running regular gas I averaged about 24 mpg on a couple 45 miles runs to Dover. I haven't tried the highway yet with the 93 octane.... However, I've been averaging about 2 - 3 mpg better around town with the 93 over the 87... If I fill the car up with 93 vs. 87, I'll spend an additional $3.40... However, if I average an additional 2.5 mpg I can travel an additional 43 miles on a tank of gas. Therefore, it does seem worth it to me to fill the car up with 93.
    Just my $.02

John
  • worrworr Member Posts: 45
    Thanks!
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I'm wavering between the 2LT and the 3LT. I'll be driving the car mostly in town but wonder what the difference is in ride and handling with the 17" tires vs the 16" ones. Has anyone driven both of them and can you give me an opinion? Thanks - Karl
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I drove both cars prior to selecting my 3LT. As a matter of fact, I drove the SS, as well (too much torque steer). There was a slight difference with each reduction in sidewall. All of these tires have the same outside diameter, so the larger the wheel, the shorter the sidewall. The shorter sidewalls will produce a slight increase in road shock when driving over rough surfaces. I liked the handling characteristics of the 3LT best. The 3LT was also more powerful and fun to drive than the 2LT. The wheels and dual exhaust give the car a little more sporty appearance, as well. There are a few things that need improvement on future models, but overall, it's nice transportation.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Thanks for the insight. Did you feel that the general ride was about the same on both cars? I assume that the 3LT has a handling suspension.
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    Generally speaking, the ride was about the same. I don't believe there is any difference in the suspension between the 2LT and 3LT. I'd say the slight difference is attributable to the tires only. The SS has a different suspension, including tubular sway bars, and of course, those huge 18" wheels.
  • jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    I had the standard 18" machined aluminum rims. I guess certain people like the look or maybe they were more interested in the tires.

I got lucky because the thieves were good at what they did, there was absolutely no damage to the car. The towing company had a hard time finding donuts that would fit on my car to get it on the flatbed due to the larger than usual brake calipers.

What sucks is that they say that the tires and rims might not be in until Monday.

I'm concerned that locking lug nuts won't be enough. I'd feel better having an alarm with a motion/tilt sensor but I guess I'm out of luck since it's a lease. :mad:
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Well, in most situations, anything that will inconvenience the thief is enough for them to move on to an easier target. Hopefully, that will be the case for you. There may be other options other than a full up alarm but I'm just guessing. I really hate thieves. Crime is up again these days so I don't expect any relief. Good luck defending your car. :( :confuse:
    In addition to adding wheel locks I'm looking to upgrading my security system. Does anyone know if it's possible to add components to the existing security system such as a motion/tilt sensor? One shop told me that all they could do was add another alarm system but in doing so I would need to carry two fob's (1 for alarm 1 for remote start). Another shop told me that it might be possible to upgrade while keeping the factory alarm and remote start.

In case anyone is curious about the replacement cost of the tires/rims for an 06 SS, the insurance claim came to $4,185 not including labor. :surprise:
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    There are two complete sets of 2006 Impala SS 18" wheels and tires for sale on ebay. Ones set is $1,600 the other is $1,100. Maybe one of those sets is yours. During the past 6 months there has always been at least a set or two available on ebay. They aren't brand new but the price is a long way from $4,185. No wonder insurance is so high.
    Yeah that's crazy, even for dealer prices. I called the shop that was selling a set on eBay and they claim that they are from someone who bought aftermarket rims. I don't know why they don't start etching rims with VIN numbers, not saying it would solve the problem of stolen rims but it might help.
    I heard the same thing you did regarding add-on systems. As a matter of fact, I added a remote start to my '02 Monte Carlo and ended up carrying both FOBs. The reason was because the Viper FOB would either disable the alarm entirely or set it off when I used it to unlock my doors. Of course I was told that I would be able to use the Viper FOB for everything but the shop I used didn't know as much about GM's security systems as they thought. If you go that route, be sure to get some kind of money back guarantee.

FYI, when I bought the Viper system for myself, I also had it installed in my three sisters' cars. Mine never did work quite right. The one installed in an '02 Grand Prix was "mostly" right but other problems emerged that we are pretty sure involved the Viper system but couldn't prove it. The one installed on a '00 Buick Regal seemed to work great but not long after, her dash lights began lighting up randomly. Again, can't prove it was the Viper and GMs do have a track record of bad BCMs (which I suspect is the problem) but we don't know if the Viper caused it or if it was coincidence. Last, the one installed on a '99 Olds Aurora seems to work fine with no problems. In my opinion, the Viper system isn't compatable with GM's latest security systems. I would definitely think twice before messing with any of them. I spent a lot of money trying to give my sisters' a convenience but it was a waste for the most part. :sick:
    I'm curious if the air pressure calibration could be used to identify rims from certain vehicles. I'm guessing they are digitally coded. It seems plausible since you wouldn't want the car next to you to pass it's tire pressure info to your car's computer. But, from what I've seen from law enforcement, it wouldn't be worth THEIR trouble. :(
    Why they didn't include some type of tilt or motion sensor is beyond me. I guess for now I'm just going to go with two McGard locking lugs per wheel.
    My guess would be the car alarm fad was just that. I know most people ignore car alarms because they're always going off for reasons other than criminal activity. My funniest car alarm memory was my nephew pressing his FOB and getting the little for his POS Renault Alliance. The alarm was surely worth more than the car. :D
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone else had a problem with the tires on the LTZ? I had one replaced and then replaced that replacement early on. Last week they rotated the tires and problems showed up on the sensors. When I took it in there is a problem with road force again on a tire and it is to be replaced. Can I really trust these tires long term?

I had just thought that the early problems had all been fixed---to the point that I hesitated to let them change anything.....including tire position.
    I'm assuming you have Good Years on your car. I've had problems with nearly every set I've ever owned (all on new cars). The current set on my SS are doing well so far but I'm not convinced on Good Years quality just yet. I would also assume your problems are being fixed under warranty. I would make sure you're documenting everything so that if/when they claim you're out of coverage, you'll have grounds to get a better replacement. You may also want to check to see if there's any type of lemon law clause for tires.
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    I do have Good Years. I had never had problems with tires before, but this is becoming very frustrating. The car in general caused great grief to begin with----I was beginning to think it was worth keeping, but if rotating tires creates a problem I don't want to even think what might be down the road.
  • corny40corny40 Member Posts: 20
    I'm about 1 month into my 2006 laser blue metallic SS, and I freakin' love this car. Anyway, the purpose of my post is to see if anyone out there has put custom wheels on their 2006 Impala, and if so what sizes w/what size tires? I've searched this forum and haven't been able to see anything about custom wheel applications for this car, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • bugley1bugley1 Member Posts: 10
    I have thought about the same thing but i think if i was going to do it i would get the rims from GM or have them recomend some that fit and have them put them on due to all the sensors and computers
  • corny40corny40 Member Posts: 20
    Yeah I was worried too, so I called the service department where I bought the car, and they told me that the TPMS sensor was simply "strapped" to the inside of the wheel and that most "reputable" aftermarket wheel/tire places would know how to install them on new wheels. And here's the good part, he said that getting custom wheels wouldn't have any affect on my warranty.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I agree, I have seen their wheel accessory display and it is pretty substantial. I would be that they would have custom wheel that fit on this car.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I was considering putting BFG Traction T/As on my 2000 Impala replacing worn Goodyear Eagles. The T/As appear to be well rated. Has anyone had any experience with these tires?
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    I have these tires on my car right now and they have been very good. Before these tires I had Continentals and Yokohamas and was not as satisfied.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I decided to order two new tires for Impala LS. Two of Goodyear GT-HRs had good tread left. I did like the feel and look of the tires. I ordered two GT-HRs and I having been waiting over a week. The tire company said Goodyear is on strike, thus fewer tires are being delivered.

Would purchasing two non-matching tires make any sense?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    My brother-in-law just purchased a used 2006 Impala 3LT, and is having problems with one of the tire pressure monitors working intermittently. Any ideas as to whether this is something he can easily take care of himself, or something he should take in while the car is still under the factory warranty?
    It's a fairly common problem. I would suggest taking it in for service under warranty. Search this forum for more information on this problem.
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    I have a 2006 Impala LT with stock 225/60-16 tires/wheels.
    I will be changing to the SS tires/wheels (235/50-18)shortly.
    Question ....Will the tire sensors from the stock wheels be ok for use/fit and dash message centre reading..??
    Please help...
    Thanks
  • chipobrienchipobrien Member Posts: 2
    I chose the 3LT also, 3.9 felt much stronger than the 3.5. I got rid of the 17" Eagle LS's for Michelin Pilot Sport AS, since the handling of the 3LT wasn't up to par with my recently totaled 99 Maxima (worked suspension, I just thought all cars handled as well as it did, boy was I wrong). It's better now.

Anybody know of a good shock/spring setup for the 06 Impala 3LT?
  • waynebengstonwaynebengston Member Posts: 29
    Keep in mind that treadwear ratings are not regulated in any way and are used more for marketing than anything else.

The Goodyear RS-A is a pretty mediocre tire. The BFG KDWS is a better tire for a lot less money, but still mediocre.

The Kumho Ecsta ASX is another step up from the KDWS, and getting into the range of "pretty good," for a bit more money.

For about the same money as the RS-As, the Michelin
    Pilot Sport A/S will simply blow the doors off of the RS-A.

If you don't require ANY snow capability, or are willing to swap snow tires when snow season comes, which is the best choice anyway, a Summer tire can give you another step up from even the best All/Seasons.

For less than the RS-A, you can put a set of Goodyear F1 GS-D3s on, which will simply amaze you, in comparison to the RS-As. The F1 is probably the best all-around summer tire on the market, with some tires giving slightly better performance in some areas, but coming nowhere near in others.

If you are wanting to save a chunk of change though, the Kumho Ecsta SPT is pretty darn good though.
  • garsarnogarsarno Member Posts: 72
    The treadwear ratings, esp on Michelin X radials, never let me down. Hey, for $99 per tire for the BFG, if their mediocre performance matches the RSA mediocre for less than 1/2 the cost, mediocre is fine for me. To pay $200+ per tire and they only last 10,000 - 15,000 miles, the cost per mile is too high. The Goodyear RSA tires in 226/60 X 16 size were standard equipment on my 1998 Lumina LTZ and they lasted about 19,000 miles.
  • waynebengstonwaynebengston Member Posts: 29
    I've owned High Performance and Ultra-High Performance tires with ratings from 400 down to 220. Based on the ratings, the 400 should have lasted nearly twice as long as the 220, but they've all been at the wear bars within 1,000-2,000 miles of each other.

I agree on the KDWS vs RS-A question. A better tire for 1/2 the price is a no brainer. I'm just saying that for a little more, you can get an even better tire. Personally, I tend to go for the best I can get, within reason. I yanked the stock Pirelli P6s off of my Focus ST a week after I bought it and put a set of GS-D3s on it.

The only reason I did not do the same with the KDWSs that were on my '96 Impala when I bought it was because I thought it was a good tire. I was absolutely floored when I put a set of Kumho 712s on it.

It still amazes me that car makers put crap tires on cars. Put on a good set of tires and it transforms the car. There is no easier way to dramatically improve a car's handling than by swapping on a good set of tires, unless you've got a rare car that actually came with good ones.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'll ditto the Michelin Pilot Sports...we put a set on my wife's '03 Accord EX and they made a world of difference over the OE tires.

Alternatively, the last set of tires I put on my '00 Impala I decided to go with less of a performance tire and something more econimical (hoping for better gas mileage). I opted for Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires, which have a mileage rating of 700. They are good, quiet tires for the most part, and they're lasting/wearing very well. BUT traction under moderate acceleration is pretty poor. One of the reasons I chose these tires were their ratings on tirerack.com, especially for wet stopping (figuring with most of my driving in town that was the most vital stat in terms of avoiding an accident). But whereas I couldn't spin the wheels except on wet pavement with my old tires (Birdgestone Potenza RE910s), I can spin the Turanzas at will on dry pavement, and have to be careful when pulling out when it's wet.
    My .02...the RSAs are mediocre but I will say they're better than the Goodyears I've had over the last 20 years. They're still not up to the point where I'd replace them, though.

I will give the Michelin Pilots my nod. I bought a set of them about 15 yrs ago when they first came on the market and was very pleased as I have been with every Michelin tire I have purchased. The problem with Michelin is that the word is out and now their prices match their performance. But, at least with them, you get what you pay for (unlike Goodyear).

The last set of tires I bought were Bridgestone Turanza LS-H for my '02 Monte Carlo SS and they were awesome compared to the Goodyears they replaced. Absolutely amazing in the rain and great in all other conditions as well. My sister bought another model Bridgestone tire for her car but they were crap. I just mention that to say that brand isn't everything.

I've also heard great things about the value of Kuhmo but have yet to try a set. Maybe once these RSA have run their course, I'll give them a shot. :)
  • 2407greg2407greg Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy some new wheels and tires for my Impala. I was wanting to know when this was done if you have to put the tire pressure sensors on the new wheels. I also am wondering if anyone has purchased new tire sensors and what the price for these would be. If I have to have the sensors on the new wheels then I might just buy new ones that way I dont have to keep switching them from the new wheels to the factory wheels because I will use the factory wheels during the winter time. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
  • ronnybuckronnybuck Member Posts: 3
    I have a Impala '07 LS. We now 5600 miles on it. The only complaint I have is a shaking in the right front passenger side. It is more noticeable at and around 40 mph. I had the dealer check it when the car had 1200 miles and they put it on some vibration machine and said it was in normal specs. Still did it and when we took car back for computer software upgrade dealing with the E85 Fuel I ask them to please check the balance of the tires. They did and said the right front was out of balance. This seemed to fix it but after about 500 miles the problem is back. It feels like when the tires were nylon and polyester and after sitting for a while it would have a flat spot until after driving and the tires warmed up. Radial I thought was supposed to eliminate this. The tires are Goodyear Integr-TV or TY P225-60R16. Now I am hearing a slapping sound that I had on 92 Olds Ciera due to cupping which was caused by weak shocks on the rear. Once it starts it gets worse. I had the shocks replaced and new tires and everything was OK. Could I just have a bad tire on the Impala. We are close to 6000 miles and going to have them rotated at 7500 if I can stand it to see if the problem goes to another wheel.
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    What Tire pressures are you running? I have a '06 LTZ with the Goodyear Eagle 225X17 tires, and the pillar sticker says I should be running 30PSI. However, when I went to the Goodyear web-site, Goodyears recommends 40PSI for these tires. I run 36PSI in the fronts, and 34PSI in the rears, and that combo seems to run great. The ride is slightly harsher, but the tires run flawlessly, and the handling is a bit better. I have noticed a couple of times, on real hot days, where the DCI flashes a message that the tires are overinflated and have reached as high as 42PSI on the fronts, but that is still well within the safety range, according to Goodyear.
    The car companies always recommend a lower inflation because it makes the car ride "smoother and softer", but I would rather have the handling and better tire wear that higher inflations give. Plus, if the tires are not fully inflated, they will always tend to "flat spot" after sitting for any period of time.
    Thanks for the info. The readouts are saying 28-29 pounds. It's real hot here and I will increase like you say to see what happens. Will let you know.
    Added air to about 34 pounds and display says 36. Problem still exists and does not do it all the time. Will find out more when tires are rotated. Now have problem with acceleration stalling. Like it is not getting gas. One thing after the other. Should have kept the Lumina.
  • rennitrennit Member Posts: 2
    06, 07, possibily 08 Impalas (LS)
    regarding the goodyear integrity tires put on these units. specifically, 225/60-16 97s or 97t.
    looking for information.
    I've seen a large number of these tires placed on the LS model, these are supposed to be like 50K tires.
    What I've seen, is that all these units are having problems with these tires, specifically, erosion of the shoulders (inside tread) of about an inch or so towards the center of the tread, leading to exposure of steel belts, bad ride, and acutally at times acute blowouts. They never go beyond 30 K without some serious consideration about tire safety.
    I'm talking maybe 200+ units here.
    Many of these units have been sent in for alignment check, most of them are way out.
    This by independent dealers, as well as GM dealerships themselves.
    Personally, I'm thinking GM has delivered a crappy product, and are not willing to stand behind their product...
    Or, maybe, just maybe, it's a goodyear problem?

any feedback would be appreciated...

thanks
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Original equipment tires are usually crap. I have seen the Integrity on more expensive cars so don't feel too bad. I run them for 2 years and then replace with something good. :surprise:

I replaced my Impala Badyears with Kumho std touring tire, much smoother and quieter and about half the price as replacement Badyears. So, I don't have to worry about getting 50K miles out of them.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    The Goodyear Eagle RS-A 235/50-18 tires that came with my 2006 Impala SS are excellent tires. The handle well in both wet and dry conditions and the wear is quite acceptable. I have no complaints whatsoever about them.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    I have Gooodyear on my 08 LTZ. At 6000iles, no unusual wear. I keep them inflated, and watch folr unusual wear. I have original Goodyears on my 03 Buick Le Sabre. At 49000 miles I will be replacing them next spring. No unusual wear. My 00 Impala had Goodyears and were no problem when I sold it at about 40000 miles. I have no problems with Goodyear. Currious that the person in post#1 knows that all 200 plus units have erosion of the shoulders? I wonder how this will create a bad ride? What is an acute blow out? Doesn't sound plausable to me.
  • rennitrennit Member Posts: 2
    I know this because I'm seeing it, every working day. At the moment, we have about 30 LSs idle, simply bedcause of this situation. (mileage is 15/30 K)
    We have about 250/300 07/08 LS Impalas in our fleet.
    I might mention however, I am just questioning the LS, the LT and LTZ are demonstrating no problems.
    It creates a bad ride, for eventually it goes down, into, and through the steel belt.
    An acute blow out, is where the tire essentially disintegrates, leaving little but the bead around the rim.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    I replaced my 06 Impala LT1 Tiires at 25k miles. The goodyear integrity tires are not the best. Wear was on outside of front tires. I rotated every 8k miles. They could of lasted a little longer but I like to be safe. Replacement tires seem to be wearing fine after 7k miles.
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    Tires on mine are really bad. I started complaining about the noise and a bounce/vibration within 2 months of purchase. Dealer said normal, nothing wrong. They started wearing and dealer said I needed a rotation. Rotated. Still wearing quickly, dealer said no alignment needed. Would not check balance or anything. Finally said I missed a rotation and that was what was wearing the tires. Two tire companies said the wear problem was due to alignment and that it had probably been misaligned since manufactured. Dealer still says it's my fault.
    I know the latest thread is about the LS tires but I thought I'd give my opinion on the subject. My '06 SS has the GoodYear RS-A, 235/50-18 and I would give them a decent rating. They were much better than expected when new but now at 30K, the treadwear looks fine but they are really bad in wet weather. Sadly, this doesn't suprise me as I have had terrible luck with GoodYears. The set on my '02 Monte Carlo, I believe they were also RS-As, were terrible from day one. Two of them turned out to be defective (out of round) and were replaced. I suspected the remaining two were also out of round but they were "within specs" and weren't replaced. After those tires wore, I replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs and was very pleased. Aside from the money I'll spend, I'm looking forward to changing the tires currently on my car. If anyone out there has had some good luck with replacement for the SS' tires, please share. ;)
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. They rank very highly on the Tire Rack site. I am going to consider them when it comes time for tire replacement although I must say I have not had any trouble with the Goodyear RS-A's which came stock on the car.