Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Wheels and Tires

2»

Comments

• vegasmvegasm Member Posts: 2
  • vegasmvegasm Member Posts: 2
    hey I am a new owner of an 06 impala SS and I am thinking about putting rims on the ride but concerned how they would effect the TPMS (tire pressure managment system). Any advice?
  • gwis1gwis1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase summer-only tires and am looking for a good step up from stock.
    I would like 40K miles from these with better handling while still maintaining a quiet comfortable ride. Tires need to perform well in rain.
    Budget not beyond $250 ea.
    Suggestions ?
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    Last Fall, one of the original Goodyear Eagles on my 2006 LTZ developed a "thump" on one of the tires. I quickly found the tread starting to separate on one of the front tires....after only about 30K miles. I started tire shopping, and settled on the Big O Euro Tour 225/55 R17. These cost me about $775 for a set of 4, mounted and balanced...with an 80K warranty, nationwide service at hundreds of locations, and free balance and rotation every 5K. So far, they are great. The first thing I noticed was far stronger side walls than the original Goodyears....those things always looked like they were inflated low, even at 34 pounds. They run fairly quiet, and handle very well in semi aggressive driving through tight turns, etc. I seldom use this car on snow, but the tread is deep enough such that they are ok for light snow. For my money, this brand of tire is the equal or better than some costing substantially more. The Big O name may not be as "chic" as, say, Michelin, but I long ago learned to shop for value, and not just Name.
  • hacker8hacker8 Member Posts: 1
    To anyone interested in Goodyear tires and Impala cars, I have run the whole gauntlet of problems and learned a lot.
    I bought a 07 Impala and at 25000 miles the inside of the rear tires were wearing. It also had a growling noise, but they told me it was regular wheel noise. The back tires were replaced and alignment checked.
    I went merrily on my way with a slight thumping at about 40 mph and again at about 80 mph ( since balance shows up at about 70, I was sure it wasn't balance).
    At 55000 miles the inside of the rear tires were wore so bad that the steel cords were showing on the left rear. I was in Arizona on vacation at the time so I stopped at Arizona Frame and Wheel and had them check out the problem. They said there was no alignment adjustment left, and the thumping was because the tires were out of round. I went back to a GM dealer with this info and $250 dollars later, the adjustment holes were slotted and the alignment was done. I replaced the Goodyear with Michelins and my problems were gone with absolutely no help from General Motors or Goodyear. I don't know which one is worse, but they are both crappy.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jdvalkjdvalk Member Posts: 1
    About time! I had multiple sets of tires wear down (the first time almost causing accidents for me before seeing the interior wear) and eat the cost of the tires. I finally had to go further out of pocket and demand that the police package rear spindle rods fix be applied to my car, whereupon the issues ceased. If anyone is having this problem, I'd recommend they have the same repair done and save their receipts!
  • kbagskbags Member Posts: 1
    On May 31, 2011 a Chevy Dealer in Tampa, FL "repaired" the rear alignment issue on my 2008 Impala (36,000 miles) by grinding down the rear struts. The Chevy folks charged me $255.00 for the realignment. At first they were not going to reimburse me for the repairs, but after a letter to Mr. Ackerson, and the submission of a class action suit, the Customer Service people in Detroit decided to offer me reimbursement. I'm not convinced the grinding of the rear struts did anything other than compromise the structural integrity of the struts.
  • rob771rob771 Member Posts: 2
    Had the same thing happen to my 2008 Chevy Impala LS with 42,000 miles. Tires were rotated regularly every 6K miles. Noticed the inside and outside of all the tires was wearing out, tread in the middle looked good. Was told a few months back at the Chevy dealership the tires were out of balance, charged $45 to re-balance the tires. Didn't make much sense to me. Had a flat tire on the right rear tire today. Decided to replace the entire set. Went to a national tire chain company and had the alignment checked. Was informed that the rear camber was -1.2 degrees, which is out of spec. Was told there was no adjustment other than to slot the bolt hole in the strut to allow to realign it back within spec. Was charged an extra $100 dollars for the work; not counting the tires and fees, and alignment. Car has never been wrecked or mistreated. Had a 2003 Chevy Venture and never had this problem.
  • impalaman1818impalaman1818 Member Posts: 2
    Frustrated with a chronic problem of my four alloy wheels on the 04 impala SS flaking on the inside and oxidizing. This causes leakage in the tires, which chronically have slow leaks. I have been told I cannot substitute smaller wheels or tires because it would ruin the transmission. Except for this I have had no real problems for 100k miles. But this is a game ender for me. Does anyone know of any substitute less expensive wheels and tires I can replace the factory ones with. The fac tory wheels cost over $ 250 each, just like the tires. Please help Thanks. :sick:
  • davidinmodavidinmo Member Posts: 1
    My wife & I bought a 2008 that has 75,000 miles on it. She noticed when we took it for a test drive that the right front had a weird feel to it. The salesman said it had new Goodyear tires on it. My wife took it back today to have it looked at. The tires needed 1-2 lbs of air and said that was probably it. We went for a ride tonight and it has a shimmy when we took a couple of right turns. It was not only in the front, but she also felt it in the back end of the car. After reading about the problems of the Goodyear tires, should we replace the tires or just ride it out?
  • txiong71txiong71 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem too and it turned out to be the drive shaft. I'm not sure what the defect was, but they fixed it as it was under warranty. Right now, I'm dealing with bad tires as they seem to constantly wear out prematurely. I"m hoping the class action lawsuit against GM turns out for the better.
  • grnhornetgrnhornet Member Posts: 21
    I will be replacing my rear tire again tomorrow, found them on sale at walmart, not sure how they will look, but will post tomorrow. Also I talked to my brother he told me that i will need to have the hole expanded in the rear struts to correct the rear wheel adjustment, I will post the results on this also.