Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL Transmission Problems

13»

Comments

• mr1999cl30mr1999cl30 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    OK, for all those who have the 1998-1999 3.0 Acura CL..(and basically anyone with a high performance FWD automatic..). Here are a few tips to preserve what you drive and/or put off a repair until a later date.

1) Only use the Acura trans fluid. Do not use Dextron not even as a temp replacement.
    2) If you have not changed the trans fluid then do so. Afterwards you should do a drain and refill of the trans at every engine oil change (6 months).

*NOTE* The drain and refill mentioned above only amounts to 3 qts. It is easy to do. The idea is to keep a constant supply, over time, of fresh fluid coming into the transmission. The system holds more fluid than 3 qts but only 3 come out when you pull the plug. DO NOT have it power flushed. This transmission does not have much of a filter and said filter is not serviceable without the complete tear down of the transmission. A power flush will likely move particles through the system in a way that will cause plugging and blockage! To change the majority of the fluid, Acura suggests drain 3 and add 3 - three times. ie: drain then add then drive five minutes. Then do that again and again to a total of 9 qts. Then continue nd draining the earlier mentioned three qts at each engine oil change. If you are trying to nurse along a damaged transmission then you may need to do the 3x3 two or the full three times based on how it drives. The damaged transmission really cooks the fluid and shortens its life. In this scenario a synthetic such as redline or amsoil may help handle the heat. Shifts will not be as smooth using the sythetics on a "good' transmission. At some point getting it repaired will be cheaper than all that fluid.

3) If you are an aggressive driver then put an oil cooler on the transmission and or stay in D3 while driving that way. Cuts down on the heat generated by 3 to 4 shifting at high HP. Actually the Oil cooler is recommended for regular drivers too...cheap insurance.

A smooth shifting transmission computer with high horsepower engine, small transmission and especially an aggressive driver (but not always) creates a lot of heat. Heat breaks down the fluid. Bad fluid causes damage to transmission and creates even more heat.

I hope this helps someone. I really like my CL and properly cared for it can provide many miles of service.

Be sure to recycle used fluids and oils
  • devmarc210devmarc210 Member Posts: 2
    I was having hard shifting between gears, and there was a strange sound while idling. The Acura dealer said it was probably the transmission. I spent $3,600 at Aamco in April 2010 for a new transmission,and when I got the car back, the hard shifting was still exactly the same. Aamco checked out the car and said it was fine. For 6 months, it got worse and worse, with additional problems of a weird burp forward after I would put on my brakes, and speeding up while coasting on a flat surface. Since I had a 2-year warranty at Aamco, I took it back and said there was definitely still something wrong. They diagnosed it as bad front and rear transmission mounts and said it would cost me $1500, and that this wasn't part of the 2-year warranty because mounts were separate from the transmission. My car is currently getting fixed, but this all seems very suspect to me. Comments?
  • margiedavismargiedavis Member Posts: 1
    The automatics in the early 2000's Acura TL/Honda Accord/Odyssey are really junk yet people recommend them away on this board as a good reliable cars. You may find an independent repair shop who can do it much cheaper. When you call they should have an answer for cost, it is a very common repair.

There are several models in 1997 to 2001 and possibly others that are having unusual transmission problems with low mileage and regular upkeep. My Acura is a 1999 CL 2.3 136k, I'm the original owner and have had regular maintenance done. The car was babied for it's entire life, looks new inside and out, yet has a transmission that surges at start and stop. While researching the issue it appears Honda dropped the ball on the owners that purchased these vehicles knowing they had problems with these transmissions. The advice I've been given is call Honda Corp at 1-800-382-2384 and report the problem. Make sure you have your VIN # available. The other is to take it to Acura Dealer and have the service tech right up consumer complaint regarding the issue. Possibly they will respond with some sort of solution so that our cars can live longer without paying more for a transmission than the value based on the poor reliability report on resale value.
  • shaynejshaynej Member Posts: 1
    I have a Acura CL, I think it is a 1998 or 1999.

Last week, the speedometer cable started bouncing and sticking on Zero. At the same time, the transmission (I assume) started acting up. It sounded like it was having a hard time changing gears, etc. After driving a while, the problem went away, but ocassionally it would come back and even sometimes when the car was driving fine, the speedometer would "bounce" or stay at zero or read a MPH that was way higher than I knew I was driving.

So, I took the vehicle to a mechanic that services all of my cars. I bought this car used from him about 2 years ago. It had almost 300,000 miles on it, but a new engine had been put in at about 250,000 miles. I have had no problems out of it since. I change the oil about every 3 - 4 thousand miles, but the transmission has never been serviced, because it is one of those "sealed" transmissions that has to go to the dealer.

Considering the minimal investment I have in this vehicle and the fact that (my mechanic just reminded me) it has to go to the dealer to be serviced, what should I do? Is it possible a "service" will fix this problem? What kind of bill am I looking at to have it serviced (by a dealer)? Is there ANY way I can service it myself (with the help of a mechanic that knows what he is doing)?

I am looking for some recommendations. I can't afford to replace it right now. I am trying to decide the "cheapest" solution to get it fixed. (Should I just skip the service and start looking at getting a new or used transmission?)

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me on this matter!

Shayne
  • baderabadera Member Posts: 1
    I have a Acura CL with 151,000 miles and the transmission locked up on the car while at speed on a interstate. The car came to an abrupt and violent stop, with out any forward or reverse. Screaming tires on a busy road could have killed my daughter, but by the grace of God, the other vehicles avoided hitting her.

This has to be an engineering problem from Honda, I have found out several other Acura CL in the area of different vintages, however with the same millage, or their about, came to the same violent halt while on the road. Some with accidents and injuries.

Please be careful in choosing you next vehicle, Honda and Acura are not "safe at any speed" purchase something else.
  • mp_sweeneymp_sweeney Member Posts: 3
    Kathy, You are not alone by any means. My 1998 3.0 CL is on its second engine and THIRD transmission. I'm writing this because I finally found this forum and saw the other posts. My first transmission went at 82,000 miles, after whining and hard downshifting out of overdrive. The second one came with a three-year warranty and failed two weeks after it was installed. Now I have 100,000 miles (on the third one) and it's acting up just like the others. The first engine failed at 68,000 miles, after a check engine light and failed emissions inspection. There was a tapping noise on the cam, and after a tear-down, one of the tappets was ground down about 1/8 inch, due to oil starvation. I never missed a 3000 mile oil change or any scheduled maintenance, and even showed Acura an oil analysis over time that came up clean. Now the second engine is showing the same symptoms, although it's lasted longer due to religious SYNTHETIC oil changes. Acura basically blamed me for everything and wouldn't give me a dime. Now I know I'm not alone. THIS MODEL YEAR IS A TOTAL LEMON. The way I've been treated, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT. EVER.
  • bulldozer1bulldozer1 Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problem. Needed a new speed sensor. My mechanic couldn't find the part, couldn't get his dashboard rebuilder to get the part, ended up getting a scrapyard dashboard gauge module and that fixed it. The repair took $1000 to complete, and my car "lost" 70,000 miles, but it works now.
  • flylowflyslowflylowflyslow Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    Hello Forum..
    I have a new experience to relate for those of you who have used Dextron in either a Dodge or an Acura transmission...even with an additive, dextron is bad news. It will heat up and leave varnish in the valve bodies and Solenoids (acura) . I tried something I never thought I would try. Being careful not to overfill..I put 1/2 pint of Sea Foam trans tune in the transmission. 30,000 miles ago, I allowed a shop to put dextron in (w/ additive) and in three months it shifted like crap. I went back to Acura fluid (ZR1?) and later the new synthetic Acura fluid..Changed three times in 30,000 miles..better but still alternated between whiplash and overspeeding shutter...I learned to baby the shift by backing off the gas pedal and I think I prevented some of the wear and tear. Now I wish I had done the sea foam back when all this started. Since using this cleaner it has been a night and day difference and I continue to us a 1/2 pint with the Acura fluid long term. So far it is awesome.
  • sickofthissickofthis Member Posts: 1
    You should NOT, I repeat NOT purchase the Acura 2.3 cl. My car is crap! I wish I seen this forum prior to purchasing this car. I was driving on the highway yesterday morning while in traffic I went to press the gas pedal to go and the car was stuck would not move at all, about 10 seconds later it jumped violently and drove off. This happened all the way to work which is about 20mins highway drive no traffic and 50 mins traffic. I would beg anyone to not even think twice before purchasing this vehicle, I was almost rear ended five times because the car wouldn't drive although my foot was on the gas pedal and I was pressing down heavily. This car is a NO GO I wont even waste my time or energy fixing it, Im taking the money and making a down payment on a new car!!!!!!
  • smd4smd4 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Acura CLS 3.2 with 47,000 miles on it. It was purchased new & has been mantained by the dealership. I had the car in for service 2 days ago & complained about the car not shifting properly. They assured me nothing was wrong with the transmission. Today the transmission went completely & I had to have the car towed. Turns out they did not even do a diagnosis on it. Now they are saying they will see if they can help out at all. Ridiculous for a transmission to go at 47,000 miles.
  • roadtripgirlroadtripgirl Member Posts: 20
    Haven't you read this thread on Acura CL transmissions? You're upset that a transmission went at only 47K miles - and you should be. However, I bought my 1999 CL 3.0 new and had the transmission replaced 4, yes 4, times
    by the time it reached 67K miles. You got off easy! I hope you bought the dealer's extended warranty, or else you're in for a repair to the tune of $3K. Good luck!
  • pukindogpukindog Member Posts: 3
    I have an Acura CL-S with 142,000 miles on the clock. I have replaced the transmission 4 times so far. it is acting up again. the first tranny went at 19,000 miles miles. Acura upped the ante on the warrantee but it was not long enough. I am not sure i want to put in a 5th transmission in this car. My brother had the same model and year and he replaced the transmission twice. he got rid of the car when it was going for the third time. My wife has a Honda Accord, the tranny was replaced at 85,000 miles. My niece has a Honda Civic. That needed a transmission at 52,000. I have a Honda snow blower that leaks oil. I was told that there is no known fix because of the intermittent use on the equipment.
    There will be no more Honda products in my future.
    Jeff
    Jeff,

Sorry to hear of your experience - yet another Acura transmission nightmare. At least Acura helped you with the warranty. They didn't give me jack. In any case, I've found that the prior posts in this thread are spot on. I'm on my third transmission on my '98 3.0 CL, and it's been chugging along for about 100K miles now.

To repeat what's been said previously (and you can do this at 5K mile intervals.) Have your transmission fluid DRAINED AND FILLED. DO NOT FLUSH. ONLY USE ACURA TRANSMISSION FLUID - NOTHING ELSE WILL DO. I did this for four 5K mile intervals (four drain-and-fills), and then at recommended owners manual changes after that.

You can make a regular thing of it - 5K miles - rotate your tires, change oil and filter with Castrol Syntec 5W-30 (I use nothing else), and drain/fill your transmission fluid with Acura-only product.

And yes, after this rig dies I'll be making a beeline to my local Infiniti dealer. Good luck -
    mp the first two trannies were replaced by Acura. I footed the bill for the others. I am not going to replace another tranny in this car. Good money after bad so it is said. On Tuesday i am going to look at a 2011 BMW 330i conertible. Going to trade the Acura and my 2006 Vette convertible on it if the deal is right. The Vette has an issue with the power top. From day 1 it gets stuck going back up, Collected on the Lemon Law, had the pump, electronics, and hoses replaced twice and still has issues. I am afraid to drive the car anywhere for fear that I will not be able to get the top back up. Yeah, I can relieve the pressure on the hydrolic pump and lift the top manually. Real pain in the butt. OK, got my dig in on GM.

Jeff
  • abbababbab Member Posts: 1
    To all of you who have had Trans problems on the Acura and especially to the one who said "do not buy a Honda or Acura". Wow is all I can say. I'd bet you are a person who drives 65 in the left lane.
    My sister currently owns a 2003 Acura CL with 198K on it. Never a trans problem, never any major issues. She bought it new and has maintained it regularly. I am currently replacing all of the struts and springs, changing all of the fluids and a motor mount and she plans on driving it for another 100K. It still runs and drives like a 30K mileage car.
    That being said, I have owned my own shop, managed a Goodyear and worked at several dealerships the last of which was a Honda dealer. Speaking from personal experience, Honda and Acura will take care of their customers and do so 200% better than ANY other manufacturer out there, period!
    I have personally seen Honda and Acura replace a transmission with over 150K on the vehicle with NO SERVICE RECORDS! Try that ANYWHERE else and you will just get laughed at and thrown out.
    They are the best cars for the money on the market today.
    I own a BMW and a GM Truck. They are both great vehicles. Maintenance is the key to longevity.
    As a side note to the person who said they were going to trade for a BMW. They are very similar to owning an older Harley. Drive it, fix it, drive it, fix it. Don't take my word for it go oi bimmerfest forum and see for yourself. I love the car and am not looking for another model to replace it, but trust me, you will have to work on it pretty regularly.
    Who do you work for Honda? My 1999 Acura 3.0, purchased new, never missed a maintenance appointment ( I have all of the records to prove it), and it was stored in the garage or under the car cover. My car, gently driven, had its fourth transmission replaced at 67K miles. I guess everyone else on this thread is wrong. Imagine that!!!!
  • averyd1averyd1 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Yup. 1999 Acura 3.0 CL, purchased new from the dealer, garaged since purchase. full maintainence. Currently has 73,000 miles on it and I've been having transmission problems (a kick from 1st to 2nd) since about 55,000 miles. But it must be my imagination. ; )
    I wish you the best of luck getting Honda to help you. That transmission was poorly engineered, so even the Howard's refurbished trannies are garbage. Honda should have helped (now FORMER) customers.
  • jsolo1jsolo1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Acura CL-S. I love my car. But, it's reaching 140,000 miles and I've been feeling the tranny slipping in second gear... again. This will be the THIRD time I am replacing it. The first all out trans failure occurred at under 30000 miles. Luckily the warrantee covered it. They told me it was an isolated problem. I googled Acura CL trans problems today and found this site, I never register or comment on stuff Like this but I had to share... I am livid. I will never buy another Acura. If anyone is foolish enough to want one. They can buy mine cheap. Its black with black leather.
  • madchen20madchen20 Member Posts: 8
    :lemon: You would think that Acura would be a better car!! I have to laugh at every new Acura car ad I see. I bought my Acura new and have had 3 transmissions, first one went out at 28,000 mi. I Need to buy another car and I am almost tempted by the new Acuras but....I will just have to hold myself back!! Apparently Acura is so STUPID OR ARROGANT that they think that word of mouth will do them no harm. Acura owners need to start some kind of Internet campaign against them or bumper sticker crusade to show them that WE CAN AND WILL WARN OTHERS!! I guess no one at Acura reads these columns.
  • alemikaalemika Member Posts: 1
    OK. I love Honda Motor Co. I've driven a Honda/Acura and their motorcycles all my life. Since I'm wanting to purchase an 03' CL simply for it's rarity (I still maintain a sweet 95' Legend), I'm frankly blown away at what I've been reading about their 01' - 03' horrible transmissions failures.
    So my only question is this - Am I "safer" with a manual tranny CL???

THX.
    It is my understanding that this transmission problem exist from 1999 up to the 2005 models. Acura knew about this problem and refused to own up to it. After they fixed over 16,000 cars they stopped helping. Most people with these year model cars are on their 3rd transmission. It is also my understanding that the 2.0 and the standard transmission if you can find one... ARE BULLET PROOF!. Everytime I see a 2.0 im just sick, and every 3.0 CL I pass I want to roll the window down ask them how much trouble they have had with their car. I would say, that if you found an '03 CL that HAS NOT HAD A PROBLEM, it may never have one. There were defective parts in the original and even in the replacement transmissions. These transmissions went out around 20-30K miles and then again around 50K. So, choose wisely. :lemon:
  • golferbob37golferbob37 Member Posts: 5
    I have an '01 3.2 CL bnought new in June 2000, with 113,700 on the clock, and until 3:00 PM EDT today, I had no problem with the car. But at 2:45, while driving in suburban traffic, my tranny went south...sudden downshifts, slipping upshift, "Check Engine" light, "TCS" light, and finally, it reverted to "limp-home" mode and wouldn't shift above seciond gear. Called the local dealer, and got sympathy, and a comment that most CL's don't last this long...along with a quote of $4400 to install a rebuilt box. Called Acura Customer Service, spoke to a very nice fella who was sympathetic, but would make no commitment until the car was inspected by a dealer. Oddly enough, just yesterday I responded to an Acura survey and repotrted that I was very happy with the car...what a difference a day makes! Anyway, I now an faced with a car that was worth about $5K until this afternoon, and is now worth about $500 for parts. Has anyone had any success in getting Acura to help defray repair costs?
    Mine went again two months ago at 147000 miles. The dealer called Acura; There response was that the car had too many miles on it for any kind of compensation. It did not matter that the tranny was replaced four other times. The dealer gave me 10% off his price for "good faith". Still cost me plenty for the tranny, computer box, and torque converter.
    Funny, I really like the car albeit for the crappy transmission.
    Jeff
    The transmission on my CL went out at 21,000 miles!!! Here is practically a NEW car and what do they do.. they put a REBUILT TRANSMISSION IN IT! AND GUARANTEE IT FOR THE REST OF THE CAR WARRANTY. When it went out the second time at 67K they would not honor the warranty and wanted $4500. Acura has known from the start that these transmissions were faulty. I took my car to a reputable transmission shop and told them what Acura said. The car was running very slow because the transmission would not shift. They said it did NOT need a whole new transmission but maybe a part. They started by changing the fluid which helped tremendously. The transmission mechanic said it might possibly need a torque converter. I think to this day that is really what is wrong with it. I have now been driving this car for 3 yrs since that incident. The transmission still has an occasional "bump" in the transmission when it changes from 3rd to 4th. but its still running. Last night I sustained hail damage which almost totals the car but I am going to drive it until the new tires I just put on it fall off. !! :sick:
    As I've stated on this thread before, my '98 3.0 CL is on it's third transmission. To GolferBob - I'd definitely get a second opinion from a Japanese car specialist before dropping the coin on your transmission. He'll know where to get a quality rebuilt transmission for less money. My third transmission is a rebuilt one and now has over 110,000 miles on it.

The key for me has been what others have stated. I drain and fill - not flush, just drain and fill - the transmission fluid every 10,000 miles religiously, no exceptions. I use only Acura-brand transmission fluid - no exceptions. This 10K mileage is not derived from the Acura service manual - it's from people on this thread who have posted valuable messages.

I'm also on my second engine, thanks to oil starvation problems in the 1998 engine that Acura never admitted to. Thanks to folks on this website, I now change my engine oil every 5000 miles with Castrol Syntec 5W-30, full synthetic - no exceptions.

So, keep reading these threads, and don't rely on Acura. Acura has never admitted to any problems, and wouldn't do squat for me when I brought them up to them years ago. They advised to add oil treatment to the oil when I had a clicking noise in the engine. The transmission went out at 62,000 miles - 2K miles over the engine warranty.

I'm driving this car until it dies, and will never purchase a Honda/Acura product again. Thanks to all on this thread for all of your valuable input and suggestions - Good luck GolferBob, we feel your pain.
  • rstarr_5rstarr_5 Member Posts: 1
    We were driving when all of the sudden our car started smoking from the under it. It was as quick as we saw the smoke the car would not accelerate. We have not had any prior issues with the car or the tranny. It never slipped or made any kind of noise. Any ideas what we could check? Thanks, much appreciated!
  • morpheus6morpheus6 Member Posts: 1
    To add to this forum I too have had to replace my tranny twice and I'm having slippage issues with my current transmission. I fear I will need to replace it yet again, or make up my mind to buy another car, not an Acura, as much as I love their cars I hate that I have this issue and its such an expensive hit. The first time I replaced it, it was under the 100,000 warranty, the second replacement was out of pocket, $3500 with labor. I have over 320,000 miles on this car and besides the transmission the car is in perfect condition except for a couple minor scratches. I held on to this car hoping for another 2 door coupe from Acura but it never came :( . My previous car was a 1998 Acura CL 2.2. Honda\Acura don't you realize you are loosing repeat customers because of this issue? WAKE UP! Oh I think I may test drive either the G37S coupe or the Hyundai Genesis 3.7 coupe. BMW 3 series are good cars but over priced and cramped.
  • nelsonmt7nelsonmt7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody.
    I have just purchased my first Acura, it is a 3.0 CL 1999. The car is going well even having 127k miles. But i have just a little problem with the check engine light, it would come even if the car has nothing. The first time it appeared i went to the scan and it says "No description available for the code" or something like that. They just turned the light off and went for a few days. Today the check engine light come again. I dont know what's going on with the car, it has nothing in the exhaust tube nor in the engine itself.
    Someone has an idea?
    Thanks for the time.
    edited October 2012
    OK... I had the same problem twice on my 99, 3.0 CL, the first time at about 68k and the second at about the mileage you have. The problem was the EGR valve. The first time it was replaced, it was replaced for free because it was DEFECTIVE on that year.. the second time I had to pay almost $300 to have it replaced. The other thing that is a problem on the car that makes the check engine light come on is the gas cap. If its not on right, the light comes on. You have to drive it for a while after you make sure the cap is on right. My last problem with the check engine light, is that the catalytic converter is bad. That light will also come on if your oil gets low. By the way, the other recall on that model besides the transmission was the ignition lock. You should check to see if this work was done on the car. :surprise:
  • medium1medium1 Member Posts: 4
    The ERG valve itself usually isn't the problem its just carbon buildup from the valve into the intake manifold. A dumb or crooked mechanic will replace the EGR valve. You have to remove the intake manifold and clean the passage way with carb cleaner. It's a real easy job and can be done with out replacing any parts just a couple cans of carb cleaner.
  • medium1medium1 Member Posts: 4
    The Honda transmissions were not strong enough for the V 6 engines but the engines are rock solid.
  • 1999cl3litre1999cl3litre Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99CL 3.0. Yep the drivers window dropped, replaced cheap with better mechanism.

Now the tranny problem, IT IS THE PCM/ECU/PGM! Few people know this, you will not find anything about it - dirty little secret!!

I think the 98 and surely the 99s that came from the OH plant had a computer with a bad software program and over time it will destroy the transmission, torque converter et al.

My problem began at 37,500miles, and after a year of being told "It is a normal function", their light bulb went on and I got the already redesigned ECU, but now at 50,800miles and listening to years of whiring and shift clunks (not normal) I may be looking at the torque converter going and that means a tranny rebuilt, too.

This car has been amazing, the fools at Sunnyside Acura did something you NEVER do to a front wheel drive (pre-new ECU), called "shifting the beam" so the poor car has been trying to manage til I can afford to fix their 2nd BIG screw up. They did more, but the 2 issues are on Acura/Honda and greed and the stupid dealership!

The car deserves fixing! In the snow with descent snows on in 3rd gear, I've driven by 4 wheelers (SUVs, etc.) slid off the side of the road in blizzard conditions - I Love My Car!
  • mgentilemgentile Member Posts: 1

My wife purchased a 2006 TL for herself and we have had several issues. Mind you, she drives like an old lady for her age. First, the power steering hose needed to be replaced (covered under warranty). Second, the front end (passenger side), suspension needed to be replaced. My daughter was driving the Acura and the front end tire (passenger side), bent completely inward. Thank goodness she was driving in the city and was driving less than 35mph as opposed to on the freeway. The night before my entire family was in the car driving on the freeway. Now, the transmission went and the car only has 92,000 miles! I was driving in the city and the car stopped moving! I immediately turned on the hazard lights since it was apparent the brake lights weren't working! The crazy thing is I never had a check engine light come on to warn me that there was a problem with the car! Called Acura to ask them if I was still covered under warranty and their response was no. So I then asked them if they were going to cover the cost of repair because my car only has 92,000 miles on it. Again, they said no. So I asked them if they would take off the labor charges and I would pay for a new transmission and they still said no! I ended up taking my car to a transmission place and the mechanic told me he has seen many Acura's and Honda's with the same problem. My Acura's Torque Converter was shot and burnt so badly as was my transmission! What the hell! I will never purchase another Acura or Honda! I am actually searching for another car for myself and it's going to be a Toyota! There is definitely a defect in these cars. My family and I could have been killed twice if driving on the freeway! Acura has not heard the last of me!

• techmonkey1techmonkey1 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 98 cl 3.0 that needed trans rebuilt at 105,000 . 2shaft 4 speed auto. I rebuilt it, and used a shift kit to update the problems these transmissions are known for. The cause starts from faulty clutches, the friction material that was used was not great. Also these transmissions were designed to shift extra smooth, so the clutches would slide into engagement causing them to wear prematurely. Especially 2nd gear clutch. This fine material would make it's way to very small screens, inside transmission . Feed tubes, filters, valve body, ect. At this point probably throwing torque converter lock- up codes and all. I would recommend rebuilding with updated clutches and a update shift kit. Mine has never shifted so good. Plan on getting 300,000 mls. out of this car.
  • pawleeppawleep Member Posts: 8
    madchen20 said:

It is my understanding that this transmission problem exist from 1999 up to the 2005 models. Acura knew about this problem and refused to own up to it. After they fixed over 16,000 cars they stopped helping. Most people with these year model cars are on their 3rd transmission. It is also my understanding that the 2.0 and the standard transmission if you can find one... ARE BULLET PROOF!. Everytime I see a 2.0 im just sick, and every 3.0 CL I pass I want to roll the window down ask them how much trouble they have had with their car. I would say, that if you found an '03 CL that HAS NOT HAD A PROBLEM, it may never have one. There were defective parts in the original and even in the replacement transmissions. These transmissions went out around 20-30K miles and then again around 50K. So, choose wisely. :lemon:

I think I saw one other person on here stating that 99 and up CL TL had more serious trans issues.. how much different are the 98 3.0 vs the 99 CL transmission/torque converter issues? and is it ok to drain/fill with an import formula such as Castrol or Valvoline import fluid.. and how much fluid does a drain/fill typically need?
    Thanx P
  • pawleeppawleep Member Posts: 8
    Which is better
    Honda ATF DW1 vs Honda ATF Z1. for 98 3.0?
    Am experiencing intermittent grabbing/slight jerk when moderately acceleration when going from 3rd-4th.. have kept up on fluid drain/fill every 40k or so but used the import multi fluid and maybe a little lucas transmission additive. has only happened 2 or 3 times in a month or so!
    appreciate any opinions or recommendations