Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• 2003wrangler2003wrangler Member Posts: 24
    The Rubicon CAN be purchased with the 4 speed auto, but it is not standard and you can get it as an option($825) on any 4.0L Wrangler.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    so, if you plan on doing lots of off-roading, manual is probably better
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    That's a good point, but if we are talking Rubicon, that 4:1 transfer case will give you a super low crawl speed, even with the automatic. Brimcrow was asking about the availability of the 4 speed auto on other models, so I guess he is not considering a Rubi.

The rock crawlers love the automatics (the old three speed autos, that is), but maybe they are installing a Tera Low Kit or an Atlas II transfer case to get the slow crawl speed.

I would research carefully before buying the four speed auto. I know I have seen posts about these trannies slipping when the Jeep is at extreme angles. There is a design problem of some kind that has to do with the sump, and the pump can't pick up fluid when the Jeep is pointed up at an extreme angle.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It's the manuals that benefit most from the Tera Low / Atlas etc. It can be almost impossible to stop an automatic in low range first with a lowered transfer ratio. Rockcrawling with an automatic is much easier with an auto than a manual because of the torque multiplication effect of the torque converter. The downside is that it doesn't work well with the power flow in the opposite direction, so that engine (compression) braking is less effective with the auto.

I'm not sure what is meant by the crawl ratio being better with the manual. In the real world, at low speed in low range against a load such as a steep hill or a rock, the auto is much more controllable. It's also of benefit at higher speeds over rough terrain. The effect of your right foot being bounced up and down on the throttle is 'softened' by the torque converter.

The manual has it's place off road too. It's main advantage is when maximum power is needed, such as when blasting through deep mud, either to overcome suction or to spin the wheels to clean the treads.

For mild trails, fireroads etc., etc., either transmission will be fine.
  • src48084src48084 Member Posts: 7
    Having gotten my money refunded from Manhattan Jeep I bought a new Jeep. And instead of the SE, I got the X. Wow. What a huge difference. It rides better. Makes highway driving a dream. Shifts better. Such a difference that anyone considering an SE might want to test drive an X. Anyway, my new Jeep has full metal doors, roll down windows, loads of other options and this time I got the hard top. Now if only I hadn't scratched part of the top of the door taking that damn thing off. Oh, and the glove compartment fell completely off. I guess I can take it back to the dealer for that but any suggestions how to remove some scratches would be appreciated. In any event, my bright Silver X is a dream machine.
  • rolinskirolinski Member Posts: 7
    After reading your post about changing the hard top to a soft and scratching the door, I thought I was the only one around that happend to. As I stepped back to admire the new soft top I just installed, I almost had a heart attack when I noticed the door had a long scratch. I touched it up now I'm feeling a little better. Enjoy your new X.
    I was talking about the rear end gearing being higher (lower ratio) with an auto, making the crawl speed faster and engine braking less effective in going down extremely steep slopes. I'm pretty sure that in the days of the old three speed automatics, the rear end ratio was lower (higher gearing) than for manual trannies. Maybe with the new overdrive automatics, they put the same rear end gearing in the Jeeps as for manuals???

Tom

Src:

Congrats on getting a Jeep that you are happy with! I think it all worked out for the best, right? You are much happier with the power of the 4.0L I-6 than you would have been with the four cylinder.

rolinski:

Welcome! Stick with us.

Tom

Glad it turned out to be something like that with Tazz, and not something serious!

Still think ya oughta let that poor Jeep have some fun off road! :)

Tom

Sorry to hear about your scratch on the door. It never has happened to me, but I am sure lots of people have made that mistake. The hard doors are pretty heavy and awkward when you remove them. I just took mine off today and put them back on a few minutes ago.

As for your glove box, they all fall off, but they are removable. Just start the hinge back in place and shut it and it should be fine unless something has broken. Once you get used to it, you will just take the strap off and then open it wide and remove it. It's quite simple, but you have to get used to it.
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    with the 4.0 regardless of tranny come with 3.07 standard. With 5th gear this gives the best mileage and performance with stock tire sizes.

The inline 4 cylinder gets a 3.73 to overcome the power difference from the 4.0.

I believe the Rubicon has a 4.10 to overcome the taller tires.
    Well, Thelma Jane has the 3.73 gearing, but I guess that was an option. I got the 30" tire package, so I guess that's the gearing you get with the 30" tires. I believe you are right that the standard gearing is 3.07 with the standard tires, regardless of the tranny.

Since manual trannies have the fifth gear, with .78:1 overdrive ratio, they can afford to have lower gearing (higher ratio) in the rear ends without causing the engine RPMs to be too high at highway speeds. The old three speed autos have a 1:1 third gear (same as fourth gear in the manual five speed), so they need a higher rear end gear for lower engine RPMs at highway speeds.

The four bangers have had 4.11 rear ends for a long time. The little four cylinder engines need to run at higher RPMs to develop their power, so they put the 4.11 gearing in them.

The Rubicons have the 4.10 (or 4.11, whichever) to compensate for the 31" tires that are standard on them. Theoretically, I should have regeared from 3.73 to 4.11 in order to have the same final drive ratio when I put 31s on Thelma Jane. No one would probably regear for such a small difference, though. Now, if I go up to 33s, I will have to see what I think about the power, and maybe then I would want to regear. Lots of people have told me that the power reduction isn't all that bad with 33s, but I would have to see for myself.

Tom

• src48084src48084 Member Posts: 7
    rolinski: you made me feel a lot better knowing i wasn't the only one who scratched their Jeep up a bit while removing the hardtop. thanks for your admission. I bought some wax paste buffed and buffed and buffed and it looks a lot better. you can see still see the scratches but discussed in a convincing manner it would just appear that I had a lot of fun taking it off road. in other words, my Jeep is now just more authentic than when it was 'showroom.' as for the glove compartment it was a snap figuring out how to put it all back in place. i thought it was shotty workmanship and now I realize it's all part of how their built. i love my Jeep more now than 20 minutes ago.
    is an option with the Dana 44.

I stand corrected on 3.73 on the 4 cyl. It is 4.11.

With 33's I regeared to 4.56 since I originally had 3.07s. This is a little more gear than I need but it helps with towing and I could go to 35's and be back to stock RPM's. In the meantime I am enjoying the low end kick of the 4.56/33 combo.

Just remember to go to a speedo calibration shop once you get it set. Mine was way off with the stock speedo gear and the 4.56/33. Was actually reading 10 to 15 under actual speed (not good).
  • reward72reward72 Member Posts: 11
    Just bought a Wrangler two months ago. I removed my doors for the first time yesterday and it was fun! Just a quick question here: MUST I put the nuts back in every time I put the doors back on or is it ok to drive around without the nuts when I know I'm likely the remove the doors again very soon? It's not a question of being lazy (ok, maybe a bit) but to reduce the risks of scratching the paint as much as possible. Thanks!
    I have heard of lots of folks who simply throw those nuts away after removing the doors the first time. I put mine back on, but lots of people don't. Once my doors are off, they are off for the summer, so it's no biggie to me to put the nuts back on when the doors go back on.

As heavy as those doors are, they aren't going anywhere, once the studs are back in the hinges.

Just be VERY careful each time you take the doors off or put them back on! Those exposed threads are bad news for your paint, if you allow them to come in contact with the Jeep.

Tom

Thanks for the quick reply!

Since I dont have a garage and with the kind of weather we have here I dont have much choice but to put the door back almost every night. I'll try to be careful with the threads!
    Well, Jeep Buds, my daughter's doctor told her to come to the hospital at midnight tonight, so they can induce her labor! Daughter is having some complications, but nothing too serious, and they think the baby is far enough along that they might as well induce labor.

This will be my first grand child! (No offense, Ross Allen... I'm talking two legged grand child here.) It's gonna be a little Jeep Chick.

Don't know if it will work out or not, but I told my daughter that I want the baby's first ride in a vehicle to be in Thelma Jane, even if it's just around the parking lot at the hospital. We live about 40 miles from the hospital where the baby will be born, so I guess a topless/doorless Jeep ride that long is out of the question. BUMMER!

Tom

Have you hugged a little Jeep Chick today?
    You probably didn't interpret it that way, but when I re-read my post, it almost sounded like I was implying that there is more risk of damage to your paint by leaving the nuts off. The nuts would be off anyway when you are taking the doors off or putting them on, so whether you put the nuts back on or not, the risk of scratching the Jeep is the same.

Have you considered getting a full Jeep cover? I bought one from Quadratec that works very well, and maybe you could just put the cover on at night and leave the doors off??? The cover is made specifically for the Wrangler, and it fits exactly over the Jeep. There is an elastic strip around the bottom front and back, and you just slip the elastic under the bumper corners to hold the cover on. The type I bought is called Duravent, and it sheds water very well. It is made so that it can "breathe," and they do not claim that it is waterproof; just water resistant, but it keeps the rain out pretty well. The cover was right at $100 U.S. a couple years ago, when I got mine.

Oh yeah, they make some nice door bags too, and they really protect the doors while they are in storage. They are Bestop brand, and I also got them from Qtec. They list now for $115.95 for the pair (for the full steel doors). They are padded inside, so the doors don't get scratched.

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Congrats on that new grandbaby. Im bet thelma will take a "backeseat" for awhile. Keep us in formed.
      Dont hold your breath about me taking TAZZ off-road NEVER happen. It might get dirty!
      Past few days no doors with bikini top on. ( the jeep not me), its been GREAT!

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
    www.geocities.com/bamatazz2001/jeep.html
    I understood you well (even if English is not my primary language!). There still are some more risks when the nuts are tight enough to require a wrench, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm afraid that if I don't screw them tight enough they might just fall when driving around.

To cover my doors I use an old BBQ cover that was lying around and it fits just right. As for a whole truck cover that's a pretty good idea. I might buy just that! I want to go door less as often as possible! Thanks!
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Tom,

If you thought Thelma Jane was the best thing to come along, just wait 'til that jeep chick gets here. Girls come out of the womb knowing how to manipulate grandpa. They are good at it too. You will love it.

Terry
    Thanks for the posts, both of you Terry's.

Yeah, I know that little Jeep Chick will get lots of my attention. But, I DO plan on making her a wheelin' buddy. I will introduce her to the wonderful world of Jeeps and off roading. Who knows, maybe her first vehicle will be a Jeep! (and Bama, she WILL wheel that Jeep!)

Tom

• rolinskirolinski Member Posts: 7
    I wish the best for you and your daughter. I hope everything went well with the delivery. I know you have fun hugging you Jeep but when you hug that little Jeep chick, you let us know.
    Thanks, Pal! :)

I'm sitting here waiting for a call from the wife. She's at the hospital with my daughter.

This will probably be a long process, since it is going to be my daughter's first baby. Her doctor told her most likey 12 to 24 hours after they start the medication to induce her labor, and that wasn't started until after midnight last night.

I'm babysitting Ross Allen, my "grand dog," until time to go to the hospital.

Thanks for the well-wishes.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Is Ross Allen lapping up all of the extra attention? And do you have a grandkid yet? Hope everything went OK.
    Not yet. :)

Heck, it could still be several hours. I called about 7 AM CDST, and not much had been going on so far. I'll bet it will be late this afternoon or even this evening before she arrives.

Thanks for asking!

Tom

Well, keep petting Ross Allen. Must be hard to deal with the long wait, unless you are curled up with a good book, doing work or keeping yourself busy with Thelma Jane.

Tell them to call you on the cell phone and go for a drive. That would be better than pacing.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Tom,

Hopefully, Mopar makes a Jeep Baby seat for the back seat. :)

Gotta find the Jeep baby clothes. :) Convert her stroller and put a Wawa 44 axle on it and go with oversize tires. Nothing like a Jeep in the mall when she goes shoppin' :)

Congratulations! :)

-Paul
    Here ya go TOM.. U might need this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2330592328- &category=20679

Congrats again.. grandpa

Bama
    Congratulations Tom!

Hey Bama....that stroller is pretty cool, but there can't be a Liberty around Tom's house. He needs the Wrangler version!!!

http://a1235.g.akamai.net/f/1235/5580/6h/www.quadratec.com/photos- /p16162.JPG
    My grandaughter was born at 7:08 PM CDST! She weighed 6 lbs and 14 ounces and was 19 1/4 inches long. My daughter and son in law have not decided on a middle name, but the baby's first name is Payton.

Mother and baby are doing fine, but the baby was delivered by C-section, since my daughter just wasn't progressing very well on her own ( would not dialate past 6 CM ).

Thanks to all of you guys for your words of encouragement!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Suggest Virginia for that middle name; then you can shorten it to "Jeepie." Sort of a slurred "Ginny."

If that doesn't work, I guess you could lobby for "Dana."

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the suggestion, but somehow, I don't think that will go over with the daughter. :)

I was thinking "Leigh" might go well with Payton. How does "Payton Leigh" sound to all of you?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep and Little Jeep Chick today? ( I sure have! )
  • leafchildleafchild Member Posts: 24
    Congrats Tom!

She is adorable! Any guesses as to when you will be able to take her on her first jeep ride?
    I was so tired last night that I forgot to check which of my albums in Gill's that I was uploading Payton's pictures to. I had actually uploaded them to my album about Ross Allen instead of the new album I had created.

Once I moved the pic, the link was no good any more, so I am reposting it.

Tom

Thanks!

I am still working on getting her mom and dad's permission to at least take her on a Jeep ride around the parking lot at the hospital. I think it would be so cool if her first ride in a vehicle in her life was in a Jeep.

Tom

What's the deal??? How come the original pic is still showing up, even though I moved it at the host site? Can I count on it remaining there, if I delete post 9242, where I reposted it? If so, I will delete 9242.

NEVER MIND... it is NOT showing up in the original post now. Guess it was just stored on my puter until I logged off and came back. It's not showing now that I have logged off and come back.
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Tom,
     Congratulations to you and your family!!!

dewars
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations!

tidester, host
    We are truly a family here in Jeep Wrangler, and we share in each other's joys and sorrows.

Thanks again to all of you who have posted congratulatory messages.

I'm busy this morning printing out pics of that little gal and emailing pics of her to friends and relatives.

If any of you would like to see some more pics of Payton, just go to Gill's photo gallery. Aw heck, I'll post a link to the album (not that I am proud of that baby or anything) :)

http://itsajeep.org/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?cat=3035&ppuser- - =3

You guys are great friends! I am thankful for all of you.

Tom

• nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Hope all is well with the family.

Rich
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Tom-

Congrats!

-Pete
    Just wanted to be sure you guys knew that I was including you in what I said about us being a family, and also that I was including you when I said that I was thankful for my friends here.

And, you can pass along to your bosses that I appreciate Edmunds giving us this great place to exchange messages and post pics. Where else on the Net is there a commercial site that has this kind of atmosphere?

If I posted about my granddaughter in any other Jeep message board (commercial site, I mean), I would be flamed to no end by the members, and my post would probably be deleted by the moderators or moved to "off topic," where no one would ever see it.

Tom

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Congrtas, Tom.
    Congrats my freind, Beautiful Little Girl.
    Proud Grandpa.
     I hope Mom is doing well..
    Remember..my little boy is 6.. hmmmmm about 17 years..

Bama (terry)
    What a heartbreaker! She is beautiful.

After you drive her around he parking lot in Thelma, you gotta let Ross Allen lick her face too before she will be truly in the family!
    and use the link I posted for more pics of Payton. The one I posted is not too flattering. She is much prettier than that pic shows. She was kinda "scrunched up" the way I was holding her. (Now, does that sound like a Grandpa, or what??)

Thanks again to everyone for your congratulatory messages... I'm eating them up like candy!

Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Tom

• thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Uh, oh, guess who just took over Thelma Jane and Ross Allen's affection!? Welcome to the world Payton! Congratulations Tomster!!!
    I just now got a moment to get on the board and want to say congrats! She is adorable! And aren't you the proud grandpa!

Have you explained things to Ross Allen yet, so he won't get jealous when she comes to visit the first time?