Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I don't have Michelins I have a non-Navi TL, so I have the Tarzana's and i understand they only get 25,000. I am a big fan of Michelin, I believe they are the best tires out there.
  • Options
    rico23rico23 Member Posts: 29
    would chaning the tires of the tsx to 235's do anything to the ride quality of the car... iwas thinking of chaning the rims and i read a lot of people complain about the stick tires so i might as well change that once i get this car... has anybody changed to 235's? have they noticed any difference or should i just stay with the stock size? Is it not recommendable to do this???
  • Options
    novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    I just bought a 2006 Carbon Gray/Ebony Auto. Great car so far. BUT, I checked the tire pressure and discovered the right front had 45 pounds, the left front had 35 pounds, and each rear had 34 pounds. The door says it should be 32 front, 30 rear. Does anyone have any advice on this? Has anyone run different pressures with any success? I adjusted the tires to 33 front and 31 rear. I fear the gas mileage will tank now but more important I want the car to ride and handle as it is supposed to. Thanks to all who can advise.
  • Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    This is not uncommon coming from dealers. New car buyers often find that the tires are way overinflated. They're supposed to check it when they prep the car, but they usually don't.

32 front and 30 rear is what the manual calls for. You should be fine at 33,31. A little more pressure will improve handling with some degradation to ride quality. People do it all the time. Underinflation is the big enemy of tires. Your gas mileage isn't going to tank because you run your tires at factory spec.
  • Options
    novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    Thanks for the good counsel...much appreciated. I know it's very soon into this car experience for me but so far--more than good.
  • Options
    copseyalcopseyal Member Posts: 36
    About ready for new tires for my 04 TSX. Anybody got any decent recommendations? Not looking for anything crazy expensive, just some decent tires to run on...:)
  • Options
    uknyukny Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 2004 TSX, check out WWW.TIRE RACK.COM I am going with the Michelin Pilot Exalto All Season Performance Tire. Excellent reviews and not a bad price. Do you have a vibration when road surface changes?
  • Options
    Be sure to post your impressions of the Exaltos V. the OEM's once you get them installed. Are you going with the stock size and are you still running the OEM wheels?
  • Options
    uknyukny Member Posts: 5
    I will at some point go with the stock size, probably get another 5000 miles out of originals. I will definately post my impressions.
  • Options
    jogeejogee Member Posts: 13
    I've gotten about 45K miles out of the OEM 215/50 Michelins, but they're about gone. I'm considering a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M&S 225/45's. I realize this tire looses about a 0.4" in profile height and will change the speedometer reading by a little. The guy at Discount Tire said I should check to see if the ABS system on the TSX will need to be changed as a result of the tire circumference/speed being different.

Has anyone put P225/45R17's on your TSX? Any issues I should be aware of?
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "I'm considering a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M&S 225/45's."

I think the PZero Nero M&S is an excellent choice. It's one of the highest rated all-season tires available.

IMO, the size you picked is the perfect choice for an aftermarket upgrade. They'll be a little wider than stock and the sidewall will be a smidge shorter. Your speedometer will read approximately 1.2 MPH low (if you're going 60, the speedometer will indicate 58.8).

The only time you encounter problems with ABS, TCS, VSC is when you have one wheel that isn't the same size as the rest. As long as you replace all four at once, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback fedlawman. Good to know that there shouldn't be a VSC issue.

I spent a fair amount of time researching tires before "zero'ing" (pun intended) in on the Pirelli PZero Nero's. I'll report back after I have them on for a while. Perhaps others would like to know my experience with these tires.

One point of clarification, I think you got the speedometer reading backwards. With the lower profile tires (less circumference), when the speedometer reads 60 the actual speed will be only 58.8.
  • Options
    "when the speedometer reads 60 the actual speed will be only 58.8."

Right you are! That's what I meant to say but I got it backwords in the translation...

I am very interested in hearing your feedback on the PZero's. My street wheels have crappy Nitto "high performance" tires on them. I hate them so much I switched to my track wheels/tires (225/50-15 Toyo RA-1) until I decide what to do with them.
  • Options
    Somebody took my TSX and left me a different one! ;) At least that's what it feels like. It's not the same vehicle with Pirelli's. The ride it quieter. It feels like it's got four-wheel steering the way it tracks through curves. I believe the ride is even more comfortable which is surprising since the sidewall is shorter (215/50's vs. 225/45's).

After I got the tires installed I went to my Acura dealer and had them filled with PurigeN98. That may be part of the difference too.

Anyway, after about 1000 miles I'm very happy with my tire decision.
  • Options
    Have you noticed any performance difference using the nitrogen? Cost?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Air is 80% nitrogen. There's no way 100% nitrogen can make any difference in tire performance. Pressure is pressure, the tire doesn't care whether it's 80% nitrogen or 100% nitrogen. This is just a way for the dealer/tire store to get a few extra $.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Two points that are usually made about nitrogen inflation..

1) 100% nitrogen runs cooler.. May extend tire life (not likely by enough to notice).

2) Tires seem to hold initial pressure longer. This is more of a potential benefit, as most people don't check their tire pressure often enough..

The concepts must have some basis in fact, or race cars wouldn't be using it... Whether that translates to a measurable gain in everyday driving remains debatable..

I don't know if the tire stores are making any money off of it directly. But, the ones that have it, certainly market it, so they may see increased sales.. From the equipment that I've seen in my local chain that offers it, it can't be cheap to set-up.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    I specifically bought my replacement tires from a store that used nitrogen to fill the tires. It's common enough around here that price does not seem to be a factor. Point #2 made by the host is the main reason to use it. It makes no diff in terms of performance.
  • Options
    il4eil4e Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into replacing my TSX tires and notice that I may need to go with tires that are XL (extra load) only. Does anyone know if there will be any problems if I use SL (standard load)tires instead? I really want to get P-zero Ner M+S.
  • Options
    "Somebody took my TSX and left me a different one!

Congrats on the tires jogee, I'm glad you're pleased with them.

Now go have fun with your TSX and scrub those Pirelli's down to the wear bars like god intended!
  • Options
    See post #4717 and associate replies. I just put a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S P225/45ZR-17 91W B on my TSX. No problems at all.

So where did you get the info that you need XL's? :confuse:
  • Options
    "Somebody took my TSX and left me a different one! At least that's what it feels like. It's not the same vehicle with Pirelli's."

Thought you'd be interested - I finally broke down and bought a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (215/40-17) tires yesterday.

I went in to get one of my Nitto's plugged (I caught a nail last Sunday) and saw that the tread was separating on two of the tires. As luck would have it, there was a fellow BMWCCA member at the store having the same Pirelli's (although much wider!) installed on his E46 M3.

We talked about our tire research for about 30 minutes and discussed my indecision about getting all-season vs. summer only tires for my M. Based on everything I've read about the Pirelli's, I decided to give them a try.

They had to order the tires, so they won't be installed until next Wednesday or so. They offered to let me store my 17" wheels with them, so I put my 15's back on to get through this weekend.

I'll report back next week.
  • Options
    Congrats on the Pirelli's! I think you'll be pleased with them.

After about 1500 miles on my new set I've been reasonably pleased. The performance and ride is much better. Unfortunately, my gas mileage appears to have dropped about 2 mpg. Not surprising, given that the tires are slightly wider and have more "grip". It couldn't possibly be that I'm driving more aggressively since I got the new tires, could it? :blush:
  • Options
    il4eil4e Member Posts: 3
    How are you enjoying your P-Aero Nero M+S tires? I read in the manual that you should replace your tires with equal or better rating in speed and load. The OEM tires are V-rated and 93W XL. I called Acura and Tireracks abd they both said they don't recommend anything below those ratings. But I also notice in Australia, the TSX has 225/45/17 and load rating of 91W only.
  • Options
    A load rating of 93 equals 1433 lbs max load for that tire. A 91 equals a max load of 1356.

Since the TSX weighs 3250 lbs, either load rating is more than enough for the TSX.
  • Options
    Agree with fedlawman, there can't be any issues with the load rating of the tires. I should be able to haul around 4 large adults without any problems.

As for the speed rating, how can your beat a Z (149mph+)?

I couldn't be happier with the tires. Handling, ride, and noise are great.
  • Options
    copseyalcopseyal Member Posts: 36
    Looking to replace the Michelin Pilot's on my 2004 TSX with something that will give me decent performance, but also better traction in less than ideal conditions. Any recommendations for a decent tire or two? Nothin crazy price wise, but something worthwhile? Thanks.
  • Options
    scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    Look at the BF Goodrich Traction TA. Great Tire, reasonable price.
  • Options
    waiwai Member Posts: 325
    If you mean less than ideal condition is slippery/wet road, go for bridgestone S03 or Dunlop SP9000. Dunlop has a better wear.
  • Options
    mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    Has any one tried Falken Azenis ST-115, Falken Ziex ZE-512, or Falken FK-452 Tires? I was thinking about these for my 06 TSX next spring/summer.
  • Options
    nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    For performance and slippery/wet conditions (live in the NorthEast) has anyone tried Goodyear Eagle Response Edge tires? Had Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires on my 1998 VW Passat, but this tire is not made in the size for the TSX 215-50-17. I really liked these tires. Someone recommended Eagle Response Edge tires as close to having the same characteristics as the Assurance TripleTreds.
  • Options
    vitocorleonevitocorleone Member Posts: 10
    Replaced the OEM tires at 2k miles with Yoko Avid V4S @ Discount Tire (received $50/tire trade in on OEMs) in order to maintain max safety in the NW as well as maintain the recommended/"required" XL rating. The difference in traction, handling and overall confidence was night and day, and, with 13k miles on the tires, I still cannot recommend them enough for people that want or need all-season tires.
  • Options
    aquaticexploreaquaticexplore Member Posts: 89
    I put the same tires (Yoko Avid V4S) on my tsx this summer and really like them. Got them at tirerack for 110 or so.
  • Options
    isk79isk79 Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a tsx (been 3 months) and the acura service guy now tells me the front tires are pretty much gone. I haven't taken the car to any other place to check but has anyone replaced only the front tires? If I do have to replace only the front tires (which seems very likely when I looked at the tires :)), can I put on tires of a different brand or do I have to stick to the same brand as the rear ones? Btw, is there a way to check the condition of the tires myself?

appreciate all the help folks!
  • Options
    I would replace all four, and go with something other than the stock hockey puck Michelins that came with the car. I find it unbelievable that the fronts are gone after 3 months. Was the car used when you bought it?

If so, I'd start new with four tires, and put them on a 6-8K rotation cycle. You do not have to go with the OEM tires if you don't want to, there are better, cheaper alternatives out there (see the post above yours). If the car is new, I'd try to get it done under warranty.

Checking tires involves maintaining air pressure on a regular basis (buy yourself a good tire gauge), and visually inspecting the tires for cuts and any other damage periodically. It's very easy.

FWIW, I have 20K on my OEMS, and I hammer them on a regular basis, and they are showing no significant signs of wear, at least no more than you'd expect at 20K miles. 3 months on new tires is ridiculous.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I've got about 2000 miles on my Pirelli's now and I thought I'd pass along my impressions now that I've got some wet weather miles with them.

They grip like very good all-seasons on dry pavement. In other words, they turn in very crisply and feel like a top notch summer tire below 8/10ths, but definitely do not have the ultimate grip of a dedicated summer tire during hard cornering on dry roads.

In the wet, they are very confidence inspiring, and I'm now glad I didn't choose summer tires (it rains at least half the year here in Seattle).

Bottom line? If I lived in CA or a warm climate, I'd put proper summer tires on. If I lived in the snow belt, I'd have two sets of wheels (one dedicated summer and one dedicated winter/snow). For the Pacific Northwest, the Pirelli PZero's are the perfect compromise for most drivers.
  • Options
    isk79isk79 Member Posts: 4
    johnny420 - yes, I bought it used. Sorry - slipped out when I posted my last msg ;-)

So I guess I should replace all 4 then. I was looking around on tirerack and I found these:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+M550+A%2FS&- partnum=15WR7M550&i1_Qty=2&autoMake=Acura&autoModel=TSX&autoYear=2005&autoModCla- r=&vehicleSearch=true
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+V4S&par- tnum=15VR7V4S&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=11&speed_rating=VR&speed- _rating=ZR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Prefer one over the other?

fedlawman - I didd check those tires out. Seemed a little more than what I'd like to spend right now :) Thanks for the suggestion though!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    If you're going to replace the tires anyway, I'd take a hard look at the PZero Nero M&S's. They're cheaper than the OEM Michelins, I saw them at the Tirerack for $118 ea, and they're far superior performance-wise.

Fedlawman was nice enough to do all the dirty work by testing them (thanks, Brian :D ), so I'd give them a shot if I was in your shoes.

I have almost 20K miles on my OEM's, and they only get louder and noisier as they age. The grip pretty much stinks too. I'll be looking at the Pirellis myself soon.

Just my $.02 worth on the matter.
  • Options
    I've heard good things about the Yokohama's (I don't know about the Avon's, sorry), but if you're on a tight budget and want another outstanding option, you should definitely check out the Kumho Ecsta ASX.

Kumho's are VERY popular with the enthusiast/racing crowd, and for good reason - they make outstanding performance tires. According to Tire Rack, the ASX is very close to the Pirelli's in both wet and dry performance, and they go for $86 each in the OE Acura TSX size!

I actually went back and forth in my mind for weeks between the Pirelli's and the Kumho's, but ultimately chose the Pirelli's because I wanted a "no compromise" all-season tire and the PZero Nero M+S is closely related to the highly regarded summer only PZero Nero (they have identical tread patterns). I also got a good deal on them from my neighborhood tire shop.

Read the attached review and see how close the Pirelli and Kumho are to each other in performance, and then consider that the Kumho costs $43 less per tire!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=52

I don't have personal experience with the Kumho Ecsta ASX, but based on the Tire Rack test results, I'd say it's a no-brainer. Kumho's are getting more popular every season and I bet they won't be bargain priced for much longer (remember how inexpensive Japanese cars used to be?!?!).

Good luck!

Brian
  • Options
    Fedlawman, can you post the name of the tire store you bought from? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    You bet. I got them at Discount Tire in Federal Way on Pac Hwy (around 312th, I believe). I paid $107 each for 215/40-17.

They stored my wheels for me while we waited for the tires to be delivered, where very careful handling my polished lips, dealt with my spacers and hubcentric rings with no problem, and hand torqued my lug nuts to 80 lbs in a criss-cross pattern as I requested.

Good group of guys over there.

• Options
    Sweet. Right around the corner from my house. I'll give 'em a holler. Looks like my only option is the 225/45's on the OEM wheels.
  • Options
    For the Pirelli's I'm afraid so. You still have a somewhat limited selection in the TSX's original size. Of course, I wouldn't complain about adding 10mm of tread width - it'll only improve grip.

I'd like to drive your car again after you get them. Turn-in is awesome - they will utterly transform your already nicely modified TSX.
  • Options
    I'll let you know when I get new rubber. I've added a Progress RSB since you drove my car, another incremental step up in handling, and I'm interested to see what tires will do. Understeer was nicely reduced with the RSB, but now the tires are squawking louder than ever - time for them to go. Seems like improving suspension components only does more to expose a given tires weaknesses.

My only real concern with the 225/45's is the lower profile, and the bigger wheel gap I'll likely get. Not a big deal, and probably not that noticeable.

I like that you think the tires "will utterly transform" the car. That sounds really good. :D I'll probably look at the Kumhos also (OEM size), but Tirerack really liked the PZeros.
  • Options
    Profile won't change with the new tires because the sidewall number is a factor of the width of the tread. In other words, a 225/45 tire is virtually identical in sidewall height to a 215/50 tire.

Here's a great link to help you calculate tire profiles and speed corrections...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • Options
    Thanks man.
  • Options
    Hey, Brian, based on yours and jogee's recommendation, I finally broke down and purchased a set of the PZero Nero M&S's this last Saturday from Discount Tire in Federal Way. They had the tires in stock, and I was out of there in about an hour. As usual, the service at Discount was very good, and they matched the Tirerack price of $129/tire (down from their price of $154). I got the 225/45 17's, and this switchover comes with 21K miles on my TSX.

Initial impressions are good. I watched while they installed the rubber, and was immediately taken by how much more agressive the tires looked that the OEM Michelins. One thing I learned quickly though, is that new tires do have a bit of a run-in period. I asked the kid who gave me my keys if there was anything I needed to do to break the tires in, and he said no, just get in the car and go. Wrong answer. I headed down to Dash Point road to test 'em out, and nearly spun the car out in the first turn I took, at like 30mph. :surprise:

I've been taking it easy ever since :D

I also went back to Discount and told them they should watch what they tell people. That could get them in trouble. No biggie. VSA saved my bacon! ;)

One other thing, the sidewall size is similar (4 versus 4.2 inches) but not the same as stock. Some of the hard-earned wheel gap reduction I gained with the A-Spec suspension is lost. Not a lot, but noticeable.

As for driving, turning and turn-in are better, and ride and noise are similar to what I had. Wet performance isn't as good so far, but the tires only have about 45 miles on them, hardly any of those miles on dry roads. I'd be interested to hear opinions on how many miles are needed on new tires before their full performance is realized.

Will post more as I get the full impression of these tires. Fedlaw, you're welcome to drive the car, which now has A-Spec suspension, 22mm RSB and new rubber, just let me know.

I am done with suspension mods! :P :shades:
  • Options
    Yeah John, they should have warned you.

There is some kind of coating on the rubber (kind of like a semi-gloss armor all), which wears off almost immediately, but the little nubbies sticking up won't wear off for a few miles.

Running Dash Point Rd with brand-new tires on a rainy day is just asking for trouble. Glad you had the nanny protecting you.

Give it a couple hundred miles and try again. I would very much like to drive your car again with the new tires - maybe we could meet up in Federal Way, trade cars, and do Dash Point Rd at 8/10ths?
  • Options
    Sounds like a great idea, Brian. How about we keep an eye out for what looks to be a dry weekend day, then go from there? I'll keep in touch, but if you see a day that looks good for you, let me know. I have a feeling your schedule is a bit busier than mine, with the fam and all.

BTW, I wouldn't have guessed 200 miles for run-in, so I'll just take it easy for a while.

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    Mine still have some nubbies near the shoulders - and believe me, I've tried to ground them down!

Sounds good. We'll keep in touch.
This discussion has been closed.