Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Fuse and Electrical Problems

Comments

• delsmomdelsmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Passat, and I am having similar problems. We have just replaced the battery and we can't start it sometimes. When we can't start it the windows won't open either, and its like the car alarm arms itself.

If I pull out the 3 fuses that have to do with the locks and windows, and put them back in it starts again.

I don't know if this could be possible, but I think that our remote has just gone through the washer one to many times and making my car crazy. I am putting the only key that has a battery away and seeing if its consistently starting.

I will also try replacing those 3 fuses today.
  • jimram3jimram3 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone! I have a 99 Passat V6. Every time I press my brake pedal for more than two seconds the tach needle drops to 0 and the oil light starts blinking. Not to mention that "darn chiming" That comes with the oil light. Please Help. :confuse:
  • bobnu75bobnu75 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001.5 Passat with the manual a/c unit and the background lights on the controls don't work. A/C works fine, lights on the A/C and recirculate buttons work, all other lights on the panel (radio) work. Is there a separate fuse for these or is it a bulb in the unit?
  • ph_zimph_zim Member Posts: 2
    Gina - did you ever get your headlight problem fixed? I've got a very similar problem with my '03 Passat: headlights are very dim but the brights are working just fine.

Thanks,
    Phil
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    There is a separate bulb that backlights that area. It's not an uncommon problem.

Google this: Climate control bulb replacement Passat Information-base

You might find instructions there.

Part # is N-017-751-2.
  • bobnu75bobnu75 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks - you rock.
    I know. :blush:
  • meredithfmeredithf Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

The radio on my 2002 Passat stops working - I have pulled the fuse out and put it back and then it's fine. This has happened 3 or 4 times. I've now mentioned it to the dealer and they say the radio should be replaced.
    I've read this issue a lot on Jetta forums as well.
    My question is - does anyone know how long I can just put the fuse in/out and keep it working? Do I really need to replace the radio?

Any advise is appreciated.
  • hdabehdabe Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Anyone have any idea how to deal with the following codes which come up on my 99 VW Passat?

P1602 18010 Power Supply (B+) Terminal 30 Low Voltage
    P1606 18014 Rough Road Spec Engine Torque ABS-ECU Electrical Malfunction

Here's some background.

I've had a longstanding issue with my ABS Brake Module. The light first went on in October of 2006. The dealership wanted to replace the module and pump for closs to $2k which was probably a 3rd of the value of the car so I said no to that and found out about a bunch of companies that recondition/remanufacture ABS Brake Modules.

The one I dealt with was in Florida (autotechmicro.com). For $179 they recondition the ABS Brake Module. With some pictures and elbow grease I managed to get the module off and sent it in and when I got it back it worked. Light went off. All was fine until a few months ago. Took the car to a mechanic who had me replace my alternator and battery to eliminate those as factors. (Thanks!) With those "factors" eliminated he had no idea what to do. I decided to take advantage of the warranty on the work performed on the ABS Brake Module and sent it back to Flordia.

This time their work didn't get the light to go off. I had the codes pulled and cleared, but the ABS Brake light remains intermittently on.

The Florida reconditioners say that the codes (P1602 18010, P1606 18014) are soft codes and can be cleared via Vag-Com. (That's 3rd party software for diagnosing VW problems.) That the codes are set in the ECU and not in the ABS. Once the codes are cleared/reset the lights will go out.

Does anyone know anything about this? Have experience with this kind of problem?

Thanks!
    On that P1602, did you disconnect the battery? It sometimes shows up when the battery has been out. You should be able to go to Advance Auto and use their OBDII reader to clear the codes and see if they come back. Itr's free, too. It's possible that code comes up when the ignition switch is going bad, but I'd go with the easy check first.

Got nothin' on the P1606.
  • hdabehdabe Member Posts: 3
    No Advance Auto in my area, but I'll give it a try. Spoke with one guy who said maybe it's a power management module issue...

Thanks for reading and responding!!
    Autozone has the same OBD reader, if they're in your area. Good luck!
  • ronspassat1ronspassat1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi...my yellow engine light has just come on....this is the second time it has happened since I bought the car. If I remember correctly the last time it happened was when my CCM fried(flooding of course). Any ideas what the light could mean????...ObTW...I hope those affected (Passat 2002) VW finally admitted problems with the design of the pollin fileter and whole plenum(?) area....which leads to floods in car and subsequent problems. All are to take car in...the drains (under the battery of course) will be repleaced and the area checked with some adjustments. They now recommmend that the drains be checked. The first check and "cleaning" are free. If u have had water damage before (to CCM, TCM....) they will consider reimbursement if u file a claim. Anyway....ideas on yellow engine light?????
    Thanks
    Pull the codes with a free OBDII reader at Autozone, Advance etc and post your codes.
  • thomas28thomas28 Member Posts: 10
    Suddenly my 2000 Passat won't start. Batteries and terminals are good. Checked fuses. All lights come on, ding ding on, everything looks ready to go, but when I turn the key, nada. I do notice a new warning light on the right side of speedometer which says EPC. Looked in the manual Electric Power Control. Could be anything from using a wrong key (no)to moisture. Can't get it to the shop to run a system check without towing it. Ugh.any advice on things I can check?
  • kagnewkagnew Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone tried putting some electrical grease on the
    fuses?, this will keep them from corroding, and not
    working, sounds like this may be the problem, because
    pulling them and putting them back in corrects the problem.
  • kkennallkkennall Member Posts: 1
    I recently started to have problems with my 02 Passat. We had the check engine light issue for a while, the dealer worked on it numerous times under warranty. Warranty's up, and now the car's antitheft is acting up. After I lock the car, the usual beep and flash of the turns lights is supposed to happen one time. Now it happens a few times rapidly, and then sporadically for up to 2 hours after locking it, as if there is some kind of short. It happens both with the use of the remote and the master key. Occasionally when i pull the key from the ignition, the doors automatically lock and sets the antitheft. The dealer told me $650 to replace the comfort control module. No other electrical problems as yet. Is there anything I can check on my own or take it somewhere besides the dealer to have it done (they overcharge and keep telling me to do repairs that don't really need to be done)? Granted I'm not great with tools and have yet to actually locate the CCM...i'm familiar with all the problems of flooding. they just fixed the pollin filter seal that had been recalled.
  • sparksrtsparksrt Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to recharge my phone to the rear socket outlet and I am not getting any juice?

Any thoughts?

The rear socket outlet is right behind the armrest.
    Have you actually tested the socket with a voltmeter? I ask this because my wife said the said the same thing, but it turned out that the socket and the phone's adapter plug didn't quite agree in size. You had to jiggle it in to get it just so before it would charge.
    I am new to this, and not sure how the forum works. I am responding to my own message because as far as I can tell no one else has.
    Mine is not just a starting problem. My key will not open locks, or even set off the panic button. Nothing. I took the key to the dealer and had a new battery put in- still nothing. The key does not seem to be communicating with the car. One of the service personel told me I may need to reprogram my key. What? The manual says just hold it down for a second and it will reprogram iteslf!
    Can anyone tell me where or what the EPC light means?
    Any help appreciated.
    I tried jiggling it and it still wouldn't work. I also tried plugging it in to the socket in trunk and that didn't work either. Could it be a fuse maybe?

Thanks for your reply-
    Does it work in the front socket, in the ashtray? So far, we haven't been able to rule out that the thing is not making proper contact.
    yes it works in the ashtray socket but not the rear socket?
  • gdoernhoefergdoernhoefer Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get an answer to the "My Passat won't start"? My son just had the same problem with a 2000 Passat wagon. Started and ran one minute, parked. Then door locks, interior overhead lights, windows and sunroof disabled, won't start, can't be jumped and battery is fine; headlights, dashboard lights, wipers, radio all fine. If dbrownlee or anyone else has an answer, send it around, please.
    My problem exactly, but I have had no response. it has been sitting in my driveway for a week because I hate to tow it in with no idea what might be wrong.
  • gdoernhoefergdoernhoefer Member Posts: 2
    I went back through earlier posts and found similar stories. The diagnoses seemed to be either a fried Fuel Control Module, located under the spare tire compartment, or a bad CCM (Comfort Control Module?) an apparently serious chunk of electronics (think $600+) found under the driver's side floorboard. Each are described as susceptible to moisture. In one case the fried Fuel Control Module was thought to have failed due to water in the spare tire well after a professional cleaning and detailing, and then caused the CCM to fail.
    I'm going to pass these thoughts along to the mechanic who has my son's Passat and will post the result when I know something.
    Thanks, I appreciate anything you can find.
  • devildeldevildel Member Posts: 3
    my EPC light just came on (its a power management program used by the computer )- it might be ignitor coils need to be replaced - there was a recall issued about two years ago to replace all ignitor coils in VWs b/c they had bad batch- if you havent had that done then likely that could be the problem. i am not sure if it the problem with mine i brought my 02 preowned

i have EPC lite on now and eng lite just came on _ the car when idling will just shut off if i turn on AC and any otehr appliance.

dealer wont give me an appt until nxt wed but i am gonna try to sneak in tomorrow .
    I'll call tomorrow to see about the recall. At least you can get yours started to even go there! Keep us posted on your success, and thanks.
  • dp5010dp5010 Member Posts: 11
    I know a little about the Fuel Control Module, I have had two of the them replaced.

If it gets wet, it will short out. The first indication is that the fuel gauge goes to Zero and if you have a "Miles To Empty" indication it goes to --- indicating no input. If you don't do something quickly, it will cause the Comfort Control Module to fail. When it fails, nothing will work including car starting.

The 1st time it happened, Miles to Empty went to --- and no indication on the fuel gauge. A day later, things began to fail, power windows, radio, Auto A/C, etc. The next day, car wouldn't start. When they opened the trunk they found the area where the module is located (under the spare beneath a foam block) filled with water. They sprayed water everywhere and could not find the leak so they blamed it on a body repair I had done on the Drivers Door (go figure!). When it happened again, I caught it before the Comfort Control Module failed. Again, water and again they blamed it on the old body repair (they couldn't explain how that could occur!) but they said they couldn't find the leak.

I took the car home and looked to see where water could come in. There is a seal where the fuel signal from the fuel tank enters and goes to the fuel control module. If I sprayed water on the seal from the outside (like would happen from the spray from your tires in the rain!) water would begin to penetrate the seal and run down the wires to the module. I double bagged the fuel control in plastic bags, sealed them, and used a sealer around the seal penetration through the trunk and have not had a problem since. I do check periodically to see there has been any water penetration...so far so good!
    Which module is under the spare tire? Fuel module or Comfort control? does it take a tech to replace or does it just plug in?
    The fuel control module is in the trunk under a foam block under the spare. The comfort control module is under the floor under the drivers feet.
    Read my note #133 entitled "Fuel Control Module" dated Sept 25
    Thank you. I read #133 and have been following your advice avidly. :)
    If I take the fuel control module out and take it to the dealer, can they test it?
    When you say the comfort control module is under the floorboard under the seat, does I access it from under the car, or by removing the seat? Can they test that also?
    Thanks again.
    More bad news. I just went out to take out the fuel control module and found that I can not open the trunk either. Neither the key fob nor the interior button responds.
    All dashboard indicators, head lights are functional, but that's it. Can't even open the gas cover.
    You can open the trunk with the key. Hunker down in front of the rear license plate. On the upper right side of the plate, you should see a regular slot for the key.
    The Comfort Control Module is in a protective box floorpan cavity under the drivers seat carpet. If you are going to do any repairs yourself, I recommend getting "eBahn® - Automotive Technical Repair Information" for your car. It is on Disk for about $100 and is the complete auto repair manual from VW.
    I would think they could test it. If you get to it and it is wet, your "screwed". Again mine got wet twice. I solved the water problem but have still double bagged the module and sealed it.
  • passatvr6passatvr6 Member Posts: 1
    1995 passat VR6 Fuel pump not working but the float is...relay replaced and fuse but still nothing.
    Quick follow up. Rechecking all fuses, I found one that was broken. It was to the vanity mirror. I never checked it because I couldn't make any connection between it and the car starting. I replaced it and it burnt immediately. in fifteen minutes , I found the wire to the light in the vanity mirror was broken and was shorting to the metal. Who needs a vanity mirror light? unplugged it, replaced the fuse and I am off and running. No tow charge, no expensive bill, no computer parts. Of course it took me four weeks,......... but thanks to all for your help.
  • captain_jackcaptain_jack Member Posts: 3
    Hi sorry guys this is my first time using this site, was just reading thru it as ive got a problem with my VW Passat, there seem to be good responses to peoples problems and great feedback, hope you will be able to help me.

Basically the red lights on the side of the grills (from where hot and cold air comes in, which can be closed, opened, moved left right, every car has 4 of these on the dashboard)are faulty. the two on the passenger side (left) are fine and come on when the lights are turned on, but the 2 on the right dont come on (the lights i'm on about are the ones which are on one side of every air grill above and under the knob you turn to close or open the flaps).

i have a feeling this is a problem with a fuse as only two are turned off and two are on (lights).

i dont know where the fuses for these are. i had a similar problem with the sidelights before when the front and back sidelights on the left of the car only didnt come on, a car electrician checked some fuses on the right hand side of the dashboard- he opened the door and took off the end pannel to reveal the fuses, checked a few and replaced one of them and the lights were working fine.

i have cxhecked all the fuses on that side but found non that are fused, could you please let me know what i should do or where to find any other set of fuses which may have gone.

i would really appreciate it if someone could reply and let me know how to solve this problem. if i havent posted this problem in the right place could someone please forward this to the right department and let me know via e-mail where they have posted this note. i would be very grateful.

i know i sound very stupid, but i am unfortunately a novice at this...thanx for your time guys.
    Jack
    Cptn Jack - yours is not an uncommon problem. I'm going to disagree with you and guess that it's not a fuse, but rather the bulbs themselves. Part number is 3B0-919-243-B.

You might find instructions for the replacement of those bulbs if you google dash vent light bulb replacement Passat.
  • baralesbarales Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 99 passat, and the drivers window does not work, i have tried new switches, and 3 used window actuators, when i push the button i hear click from the electronic board on the window motor, but thats it. I have removed the electronic board, and put power direct to the motor, and it works? All other windows work any suggestions?
  • baralesbarales Member Posts: 3
    My 99 passat has the engine light come on, often, the oil light intermittent and the airbag light now permanantly on any ideas
  • thekid592thekid592 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Their, I have a 2000 Passat that everything seems to work just fine except the dome lights...yes...14 is fine. The bulbs are good and Like I said all other stuff seems fine. Alarm does act a lil funny sometimes. Sometimes not responsive. Any ideas as to why I cant get the freaking dome lights to work? I have seen stuff about the CCM but why would everything else seem to work fine?
    I am in the dark with a black leather interior and I AM SCARED OF THE DARK :cry:
    Any Ideas Guys????
  • bradfordbullsbradfordbulls Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am new to this kind of thing so please be patient with me!!
    I have an elderly VW Passat Estate (we call them estates in the UK). For no good reason my drivers door window will suddenly decide to open by itself. It will alos sometimes do it as I start the car up. Up to now the passenger window has been OK but it has suddenly started to open when I start the car. Also the rear windows won't open and the switch on the dashboard that stops the rear windows opening has no effect. I am beginning to assume that there is a control module somewhere that might be causing the trouble by sending signals to the window motors that it shouldn't be sending. I don't know but reading some of these messages on the site I think there is such a unit. If so, does anyone know where it is and is it easy to change? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, there is a comfort control module that may be the culprit. It's located in a well under the front passenger compartment floor in the 1998-2005 models (older years, I have no idea). The problem could be that water has infiltrated the well holding the module, causing it to behave badly. Can't recall if it's on the right or left side, so you'll need to explore this further.

You might ask "why is water getting in my car?" Read all about it here: http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/
  • ravenmbravenmb Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I just finished reading through this forum and didn't see anything quite like this.

I bought my Passat in August, kinda cheap for the area and the car. A month later, the battery went dead. I got a jump start and got home okay, but the battery didn't hold the charge. I replaced the battery with a top of the line Bosch after having Pep Boys test the electrical system to make sure it wasn't the alternator.

Two and a half months later, and I'm back at Pep Boys with a dead battery which won't hold a charge. They test everything again, tell me it was just a bad battery and replace it (free of charge since I got the extra warranty).

Two weeks later, and the battery died on me again. I can't possibly think my luck with batteries is this bad. I'm relatively certain it isn't the alternator, since the second time my battery went dead I drove for 45 minutes off a jump start with no issue.

Any thoughts?
  • captain_jackcaptain_jack Member Posts: 3
    ;) Hi all, soz for not replying back, as i said it was my first time, and got loadz of other stuff to sort out too. finally found my password and username. details were not in the computer so couldnt post a reply to the response i got.

Thank you very much, i stand corrected, the problem was the bulbs, i opened the dash vents as shown
    in the pictures and it was exactly the same, i even managed to get the tricky part of pulling out the bulb, it took me 45mins but now i can take out the bulbs in a few seconds, cool...

However the site said buy the bulbs online for about £3.89, excluding postage and packaging. but when i went to dealers to find out if i can get them quicker at probably the same price or a bit more, the dealers gave the bulbs for £3.08, buzzin. have changed the bulbs and love it, the lights are workin......

Will be back if have any other problems, Again, ewant to thank the person who helped me and Wish you all the best, as this is the best site i have ever seen, rapid response, ive been recomending you lot left, right and centre. You da best guys, THANX THANX THANX THANX.............

Reply if this gets to the right person, again dont know ow to get in touch with them directly but if you get this please pass it to the right persomn who helped me so they may let me know the received this... i really do want them to know how much i appreciate this help.

Take care all, BYE and THANX again...
  • nishwnishw Member Posts: 3
    Hiya

I had a variety of similar problems on my 2002 Passat, (no indicators but hazards worked, no wipers, no heater). Turned out to be the ignition switch, it cost £22. My dealer was brilliant, and seeing as they couldn't diagnose it after 2 hours, they did not charge me anymore diagnosis time.

So check out the ignition switch. All the bad earth problems for random electrical componets seem to stem from the switch. Pass it on.

Good luck.

Nish