Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I'm sure Ross Allen will love Payton too. Heck, he loves EVERYBODY. He is the Will Rogers of dogs.

Hopefully, mom and baby will come home tomorrow. They are both doing fine.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Wow, I have been out of the loop! Tom's
    a grandfather! Congrats again!

Laura
  • brodie19brodie19 Member Posts: 9
    not to be cliche but long time reader started around 4000 or so but am now getting ready for my purchase of a Rubicon. I used to have a 97 wrangler SE (which should mean super economy) wondering on thoughts of special ordering or buying off of the lot in regards to price ... right now what is the average that people are paying over invoice for a rubicon I am in Sioux City Iowa ... CONGRATS TOM!!!!
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    The local Jeep dealer sells Rubicons below invoice. I test drove one the other day and am thinking maybe in '04. Check out meltonsales.com . I've bought 3 new vehicles in the last 3 years from them and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. It's a small town dealer with low overhead and not usually a big selection on the lot, but I ordered mine. Right now, the only Wranglers they have in stock are Rubicons! Congratulations, Grampa Tom!
    It's too late to order an 03 from the factory, of course, but remember the $1000 rebate is available for the 03's. Maybe you can find one somewhere, or get your dealer to locate one for you. I don't know about the 7 year/ 70,000 mile warranty as far as the 04's, but the 03's have that warranty. That might be worth checking on before you decide which way to go.

Thanks for the congrats on the grand baby, both of you.

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me.... Any one else remember that schtick?

Tsjay, Tjray.... ok, where's my scorecard?

:-)

Steve, Host
    "You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me RayJay, but ya doesn't has ta call me Johnson."

But what I don't remember is where that came from. It was in a commercial, wasn't it?

Tom

He was also a regular on the Redd Foxx show in '77, per google.

er, we don't have any Jeepsters here with "Johnson" as their id do we?

And speaking of show biz, anyone going to see the new Wrangler movie, Cradle of Life? I guess there's a subplot featuring Lara Croft, Tomb Raider, but it sounds mostly like a nice marketing promotion for DaimlerChrysler and the Rubicon. Look for the Jeep in the theatre lobby.

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Billy Seluga played the JOHNSON! Oh, you doesn't has to call me Johnson. You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ, or you can call me RJJ or you can call me RJJ Jr., but you doesn't have to call me Johnson! character on the Redd Fox show during its only season on ABC from '77 to '78.

tidester, host
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Congratulations on a beautiful granddaughter
    May God bless her in all things
    Walt
    Sorry, Jeep Buds, to keep posting about my granddaughter, but you guys have been real good about putting up with me so far.

Just wanted you to know that today is the big day! Found out just now that Payton is coming home today.

I told my daughter that I understood how she and my son in law might want some time alone with the baby once they got home from the hospital. I told her she could have five minutes.

Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Same here. Best experience in purchasing a car I've ever had. Below invoice, in and out in 25 minutes, including turning in a leased 300M. Great people. All dealers should be like them.
    Well it is 535 miles to melton sales from my house so i will have to fly there to get it and drive it back ... what is the break in period on the 2003 rubi ????
    could you buy a Jeep from inventory at a dealer somewhere in your general area, but buy it through Melton, with the dealer that has the Jeep being the place you would go to take delivery? The local dealer would have to make some money on the deal, I'm sure, but it might be cheaper for you than going to OKLA or having one trucked from somewhere.

My guess is that they don't do that sort of thing, but you might try to find out. I know dealers do "dealer trades," where they swap vehicles in inventory from one dealer to the other, but I've never heard of what I suggested actually being done.

Tom

Every time I post to thank the folks that have posted congratulatory messages concerning my new granddaughter, another person or two post something.

I love it! So, thanks to all who have posted up til now. It means a lot to me as a proud Grandpa to hear from my friends here in Jeep Wrangler.

Tom

P.S.

I didn't even wait until the daughter and baby got home from the hospital. I went with my son in law to go get them! :)
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Thats what my local dealer was going to do for me to get TAZZ. But Jasper jeep refused. So i just drove over to HOT'lanta and picked it up there.
      Passed the 20,000 mile mark this week.
    Still NO problems at all.

TO Peyton:
       Welcome to our world

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
  • billy318tibilly318ti Member Posts: 38
    Hey all, still looking for my jeep. One question for ya. How is the insurance prices for jeeps. I live in jersey and i'm 20. Hoping it's not too outrageous but any info will help.. Thanks a lot.
  • leafchildleafchild Member Posts: 24
    After all this time, I finally took my top down today. What a blast! :D Why hadn't I done this before? Why was I limiting myself to such an enclosed existence?

However, one thing did catch me off guard. NOBODY had warned me about the seat belt tan-line. ;)

Next step: doors.
    You live in southern California and owned a Jeep that long without going topless? You work too hard, Gal! Live it up a little!

Ain't it wonderful? I take the top AND the doors off of Thelma Jane in the spring and they stay off until the weather gets too cold in the fall.

I have the hard top only, and it's a pretty good job to get the top off. Once it's off, I like to leave it off a LONG time.

Tom

P.S.

For the doors, you'll need a 13 MM boxed end wrench to remove the nuts from the studs on the hinges. Be very careful as you come up with the doors: the full metal doors (if they are the ones you have) are VERY heavy. Those exposed threads on the studs are bad news for painted surfaces, so you don't want to let them come in contact with your Jeep!

To keep the interior light from staying on, pull the #4 fuse, which is the bottom fuse in the right hand column (unless they have changed things). The fuse box is right behind the glove compartment.

You can get some real nice padded canvas storage bags for those doors from Quadratec (or wherever). The ones I got are Bestop brand, and they are really nice.
  • smurf6smurf6 Member Posts: 27
    Congratulations Tom on the grandchild. She's beautiful.

Had the main rear seal fixed last week. They also adjusted the linkage on the 4 wheel drive as it was difficult to engage over the winter.
    Another wrinkle has appeared however. The sensor attached to the clutch clicks when you depress the clutch. The dealership has never seen that one before. They were working on figuring out the part number for the sensor so they can order it and replace mine. It doesn't affect the running of the jeep, at least not yet, it's just a minor irritant.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Isnt it great, Now like Tom said remove those doors & REALLY enjoy yourself.

INSURANCE: my Insurance is $73.00 per month which isnt too bad. It is easier for me to pay it monthly instead of coming up with $400 every 6 months.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    if you remove the back seat, and fold down the front passenger seat (can it be removed, by the way?) what would be the distance on the passenger side of the Jeep from the dashboard to the tailgate?

Thank you!
  • smurf6smurf6 Member Posts: 27
    billy318ti,

As far as insurance goes, mine is much more than bamatazz, almost double, and I live in Southwestern CT. That also includes a safe driver discount, long term customer, multi car and several other things.

I would suggest that you either call, visit or check online with one or several insurance agents and ask them what the cost would be for you to insure a sample jeep with the type of coverage you want. That way you would get the most accurate idea.

Good luck with finding your Jeep.

Susan
    Folding the seat forward doesn't give you much extra room, especially at the level of the cargo floor. Whatever room you get by sliding the seat to its most forward position is about all you will get. I guess you gain just a little, though, because the seat back is not leaning slightly toward the rear like it does in its upright position.

I don't think the front seats are made to be easily removed. Someone else might be able to give a better answer on that.

I keep the back seat out of Thelma Jane all the time. I need the cargo area for my tools and winch accessory bag, and for Ross Allen, of course.

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Mine makes the same noise. Let me know if a new switch solves it for you. It looked like it was making the noise due to physical contact, so I figured a new one would just make the same sound. I've got my clutch bypass fuse set to start with the clutch out; not sure if that fully bypasses that circuit or not.

-twylie
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    6' from dash to tailgate. It sounds like you have some crazy idea like I was contemplating. I figured I could make room and sleep over there. However the wheel well takes up lots of room in the rear so there is really not 6' of flat space. I also decided anything I rigged up wouldn't be safe in a crash. The passenger seat doesn't fold down, just kind of goes up and forward and it's not meant to come in and out, doing so would not be convenient.
  • leafchildleafchild Member Posts: 24
    Thank you for the tips regarding the doors.

I had the hard top on until recently (I have the dual top option) and hadn't removed it because I don't have a place to put it. I still don't....the spare bedroom in my 2nd floor condo is now a very bizzare carpeted room that looks like a garage with the hard top, the rear seat, and other jeep stuff laying around. It was such a pain in the behind getting the hard top in there, I don't EVER want to have to move it until I am either selling it, or moving to a house with a garage.

With regards to the doors, I think in California, I'm supposed to have side mirrors, so I guess I need to think about relocator brackets.
    I AM thinking about sleeping there! I mean, it sucks - you use your Jeep to get far away from the civilization, the night falls, and you can't lie down and sleep! Ouch!
    Take a ground cloth and sleeping bag, and sleep UNDER the Jeep????

Tom

P.S.

Might not want to try that until AFTER the exhaust system has had time to cool off. :)
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Damn those Jeep designers. First you post about how badly it rusts, then the atrocious build quality, and now about how badly it sucks that you can't lie down and sleep in it. You're starting to make me wish I'd never bought mine!!!

Actually, the distance from the tailgate to the dash is approximately six feet, and about another two feet to the end of the footwell. The seat is held in by four bolts, three regular head and one Torx. Takes two or three minutes to remove.

So, although it would be crowded for two, unless you're over eight feet tall you should manage a good nights sleep.

I know that you're trying to find any fault you can because you can't afford one, but your attitude is less than helpful to anyone doing research here. Wranglers aren't perfect, but saying they suck because you think you can't sleep in it is facile. Plenty of real problems and solutions we can discuss.

To be practical, if you can't stretch out in eight feet of space, take a tent for when you go "far away from civilization". Better still, why not look for a vehicle that you can afford and that you can be positive and enthusiastic about?
    It's car camping so you can still live in luxury. I've got a 4 person tent, air mattresses are comfy, and if it's raining you'd probably rather be in a tent than your Jeep anyway.

There are rugged trailers made for 4x4s, some have pop up tent options, do a search. While you're there search for tear drop trailers too, great fun to look at these. I saw plans for a rugged home-made 4x4 tear drop somewhere that the guy pulled with his Jeep.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    couple of solutions I've used or have seen.

- camp hammock tied to the rollbar and a tree. Works when not buggy or rainy.

- slide out plywood floor for the rear. With some hinged legs that flip down, you can extend the rear "floor" 3 feet.

- fetal position inside the Jeep. Obviously not the most comfortable, but if it's raining, it can be done. I'm 6'1" and can get comfy enough for a few hours. Passenger seat tipped all the way forward and some bags/pillows to fill the well in the front.

Being a Jeeper often means being creative instead of critical :-)

-twylie
    Owning a Wrangler means giving up a lot of things, like room, comfort, fuel economy, smooth ride, quiet ride, fancy doo dads, security, and maybe some other things. Jeeps are what they are, and you either accept their "shortcomings" or you don't. A lot of these things that they lack in comparison to other vehicles are the very things that make them so much fun and so capable of going anywhere.

To me, the sacrifices one makes in choosing to have a Jeep are insignificant when compared to the PURE FUN that Jeeps provide.

If you have test driven a Jeep and were not impressed, then you should not be getting one. I don't see how anyone can drive down the road in a Jeep and not have a big smile on his face. But, maybe Jeeps just aren't for everyone.

It's up to you to decide if a Jeep is right for you or not. If you get one, go in with your eyes wide open, realizing that you are giving up some things.

Tom

So, it's EIGHT feet, if you remove the passenger seat? Wow, I can fit in! Now, for the encore, what about the right rear wheel well? How much does it intrude into the vehicle?

Fellas, I appreciate your advice, you've been most helpful! The thing is, I have a great job which allows me to have "long-long weekends" (3-4 days) about twice a month, and BC is full of excellent, spectacular, remote locations, so it would be just fantastic, if I could jump into the Jeep, wave Vancouver sayonara, and not see another human face for at least 60 hours.

The downside of BC wilderness is, well, BC wilderness. We have a ton of bears, and cougar attacks on humans are not unheard of. So, sleeping in a tent or with a piece of plywood sticking out of the tailgate is simply not an option, unless I want to wake up and find a grizzly getting ready to put me below him on the food chain.

I hope you can see now that I like Jeeps a lot, and want to see if my extra-long frame can co-exist with a somewhat short TJ. Peace be on all of you!
    I think 8' is a bit optimistic. You're not going to get a level sleeping surface without some inventing. I was going to get up above the wheel wells with a piece of plywood and that puts you up level with the dash and back to 6'. Otherwise the wheel well comes in so far that now you're sleeping crossways and probably across the center console if you've got one. I decided it wasn't worth it.

Anyway, haven't you seen pictures of what even the little black bears do to a car to get at an ice chest or a Snickers bar that's inside. They can peel a car open like a can of sardines. They learned to jump up and down on the top of cars to spring the doors.

Better to learn about keeping a camp that won't attract bears.
  • surfer454surfer454 Member Posts: 26
    I've just been catching up on this board and see that you are the proud grandfather of a beautiful little girl. All the best to you and your family.

Bill

PS - $200 buys a ticked out Barbie power wheels wrangler! start saving.
    Thanks! She IS beautiful, ain't she? :)

Now, how bout a report on that black beauty Jeep of yours??? Are you having a good time with it? Spill yer guts! Tell us your impressions of the Jeep at this point.

Tom

P.S.

Bill, or anyone, do you know if someone makes a "real-looking" battery-powered little Jeep for kids? Barbie?? Not for my little Jeep Chick! She is going to learn to appreciate REAL Jeeps. She ain't gonna be no sissy.
    When my daughter,now 15,was 3 or 4,we got her a pink power wheels jeep. She offroaded it all around the yard until she outgrew it. 10 years or so later,when I decided to order a new Wrangler,she suggested we get a fun color,either pink or red. And I couldn't be happier with our Flame red Jeep!
    I just wanted to pass on a tip for those about to be doorless this summer,some of you might already do this, but I use 2 pieces of very thin cardboard(like a 12 pack of your favorite beverage comes in)and cut them to a 5"x7" or so and then cut a 1/4" wide slot up the middle of one end so they fit on the upper and lower door hinges when I remove or replace my full doors. It's cheap insurance against scratches and it works for me. Tjray
  • rolinskirolinski Member Posts: 7
    I'm proud to report I finally got to ride my new Sahara with the top down. It was great. I even got the side and rear windows back in record breaking time! Hey Tom, I'm glad to hear everthing is going well with you and your family.
    Thanks for the Jeep Power Wheels info!

At lunch today, I went to a Walmart and found three different little Jeep models. One was the Barbie Jeep, but the other two were more like what I had in mind. Too bad none of them were in white... would love to fix that granddaughter up with a miniature Thelma Jane.

It would be silly to buy her one now, since it will be a couple years until she would be big enough to ride it. By then, the battery would have croaked, I guess.

Tom

Perhaps you could teach Ross Allen to drive it?

Might get you a spot on Letterman too...

Steve, Host
  • ike582ike582 Member Posts: 2
    I've been surveying this board for a month and decided to take the plunge. I just took delivery of an '03 Wrangler Sport, and I cannot wipe the grin off my face. One question for the group: What is the best way to store the rear-side and rear soft-top windows if I want to bring them in the jeep? I've seen a roll-up bag that fits on the soft-top boot, as well as bags that the windows slide into. Any ideas? I can't lay them on the back seat, because I have a wife and kids that want to ride! I was told by the dealer not to roll the windows for storage. What if I gently roll the windows into a medium duffel bag and put them into the trunk area - will this harm the windows? Basically, my question is how much damage will gently rolling them up do to the windows? Thanks for the help.

Ike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...I cannot wipe the grin off my face.

Why would you even want to?? :-)

tidester, host
  • 2003wrangler2003wrangler Member Posts: 24
    I have one of the storage bags to store the windows when I have the top down. Most of the time the bag is kept in the garage laying flat with the windows inside, but I do take it with me if there is a threat of rain. Your idea of rolling them gently and putting them in a duffle bag would work if you wrap them in a soft towel. Just make sure they are clean before rolling. I have a few scratches on my rear window from rolling it up when there was some very light dust on it. (Lemon pledge, wiped off with a soft rag, works very well to keep the windows clean. You can also tumble the rear seat forward and lay them under it (separated by towels) and then tumble it rearward.
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    I lay my windows flat and put a towel between them. I do roll them when I want to carry them in the jeep but I do not let them stay rolled for any length of time. I take then out went I get home and lay them flat. This has work for me for over the years and no problems. And 2003wrangler is right they must be clean or you will have scratches
    Walt
    WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!

Congratulations on that new Sport! Ike, please be an ACTIVE member and post away. I love to read posts by new Jeep owners and hear how much fun they are having.

I have some bad news for you, though. I know dentists' services are expensive, and trips to the dentist are not exactly pleasant experiences, but you are going to need to keep your teeth looking real good. CAUSE THEY ARE GONNA BE SHOWING EVERY TIME YOU GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF THAT JEEP. :)

That smile you mentioned is NOT a temporary condition. I am still thrilled every time I get into Thelma Jane to go somewhere, and I have had her for 2.5 years now.

Now, let's hear some details on that new Jeep. Color, tranny, wheels/tires, etc. Any plans to off road with it?

Tom

When I go topless I keep my windows rolled up in a sleeping bag with towels in between the windows.Then I roll it up and stow it behind the rear seat.I always make sure the windows are clean before I pack them and they still look great after more than 2 years. Have fun, and be sure to wave at your fellow Jeepers! -Tjray
    When I had my 97 wrangler there was a little phenomenon called the "jeep wave" does this still exist??? I am buying a rubicon in 2 weeks and hope the wave is still alive and well ...