Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Fuse and Electrical Problems

12345679»

Comments

• clarky4clarky4 Member Posts: 1
    When I got my Passat tdi 2002, only had a few minor concerns, ie; couldn't open the boot lid using the switch on the drivers door; some of the warning lights on the dash wouldn't illuminate; still the car ran ok. Then the alarm started going off for no reason, thats when I started searching the web for info, took the carpet up to reveal the ccm box & wiring. these were wet but nothing major; anyway let it all dry out for a bit and the alarm started to behave itself. Latest thing is that the car thinks the drivers door is open; took it apart; took the lock mechanism apart resoldered the lock curcuit board; put it back together but the problem remains. Inspected inside the ccm box and all seems well, all fuses checked, all ok, no visible problems with all wiring leading to ccm box apart from it still being damp ( havn't had chance to sort leak out yet ). Disconnected the light in drivers door and turned all interior lights off so battery doesn't discharge but still get the door open sign and beep on the dash when driving ( ironic, cos this didn't come on before this problem arose ). Not sure about next step, any ideas would be welcome lads, cheers
  • jojodsmjojodsm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Passat that hasn’t ran in 1.5 yrs. I gave up on it when I found a junker that would actually start every time I turned the key. Now that my junker is dead, I’m doing my best to figure out what is wrong with the Passat.

Trouble started shortly after I inherited it:
    – The windows would come down on their own (usually part-way)
    – The alarm would go off intermittently (I would have to turn the key in the trunk to disengage)
    – The battery would be dead first after a week or so. Then a few days. Then a few hours (I replaced the battery to no avail)
    Now, 1.5 years later, after changing the battery again, putting a little Heat in the gas tank and replacing the tires, it started once and ran for about 10 minutes (idling), then died and hasn’t ran since, which was a few days ago.
    We checked the wires going into the CCM and they appear to be fine. We looked at the CCM board itself and appears to be in good shape. The light on the door next to the driver’s lock began blinking after we put everything back together, and the alarm appears to be engaging now by turning the key in the trunk. When we try to start it, the alarm goes off and the only way to turn it off is to turn the key in the trunk again (I don’t have a fob). I am assuming this is by design, but I find it odd it worked after we disconnected then reconnected cables in the CCM. Maybe that is my issue and we can't find the corroded wire?
    The digital readouts on the dash (the mileage and the digital clock) stay on all of the time. I’m assuming something is draining the battery but there may be multiple other issues.

I’m frustrated and don’t have a lot of $ for repairs. Any other guesses what this may be?
    Thanks for any help you can give!
  • folbfolb Member Posts: 54
    I have a 96 that had similar issues. My mileage stays on as well. I've been told that moisture can get under carpets and get to the ECM? Check both passenger and driver side. I think I had the most luck removing my fuses and reinstalling. Maybe one is grounding out or something but that seemed to fix my problem.
  • 5080tucker5080tucker Member Posts: 1
    My daughter's 2001 Passat has developed an electrical problem. Non of the windows roll down , the remote will not work on the locks, trunk will not open. That battery seems to drain overnight. I have checked all the fuses and took out the CCM module and visually checked it for water damage seemed fine. Also checked the wiring which seems fine. Is it possible that the board in the CCM has gone bad ? Is it advisable to purchase a new CCM and see if that fixes the problem? Thanks.
  • yanomepeoplesyanomepeoples Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    I am having electrical issues with my 2003 Passat .. My stereo will cut off after a random amount of time .. The volume will slowly fade out until inaudible while the stereo will still have power to it & display as though it is functioning .. If I turn the stereo power off for a few minutes it will then work for a period of time before cutting off again in the same manner as before where the volumes fades out .. I initially thought it was the factory stereo so I replaced it with an aftermarket kenwood stereo only to have the same result .. Also i have to remove the kenwood faceplate after I turn off the car or it will continue to play after I have exited the vehicle .. Please any advice is welcome as I am trying to avoid a trip to the dealership .. Thank you 
  • krisi03krisi03 Member Posts: 2
    jim97501 said:

I bought this car in Aug02 and have put 55K miles on it. Great car though a little expensive to maintain. Here's the problem. A/C quit and I noted the auto climate control panel was blank. Started checking other things and found the following did not function: garage door opener on visor; cruise control (though dash indicator light is on); steering wheel controls for stereo system (dash control for stereo works fine). I checked fuses and all are fine. I have gone to my foreign car mechanic who does all my service and they have no clue. The VW dealer has no clue. There must be a common denominator here but no one can figure it out. HELP! Thanks!

I keep a pack of #5 fuses on hand in mine due to the same problem!!!
  • LessonLesson Member Posts: 1
    HI everyone, pls the immobilizer light in my passat keeps coming up. i have cleared it with super vag but its up again and the car wont start. please i need help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What year is it?
  • fcarothersfcarothers Member Posts: 1
    I have an electrical issue with my 2003 Passat that I can't seem to pinpoint. My left turn won't go off until unplug my batt cable. They won't even go off when unplug my ccm module, hazard relay, or fuses. Help please
  • dax1111dax1111 Member Posts: 1
    i want to buy this passat v5 2003 for 500, it starts and runs and then all the instruments stop. what do u think?
    thanks.
  • Soulman2k18Soulman2k18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 and I am suffering from various electrical problems cig lighter, fan, key receiver not working, heated seats not working and I have checked all of my fuses anyone know what else it could be.
  • JbzzzJbzzz Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 04 glx.4motion wagon from a local dealership. The gremlin started that night locked the car came back.the windows were down doors unlocked and alarm off. Had it. For. Three weeks and. In the shop for. Half that. Replaced the ccm but. Still having. The issues anyone have any ideas. The dealership told nothing was wrong and they had it for two months and claim nothing like happened, yet two VW mechanics and. The service writer at the VW dealership said that impossible. The ccm was soaked and. The wires corroded. 
  • So if i were to jump start my 03 passat and put the wrong clamp on the wrong terminal post, what fuse would've gone out?
  • Vwzoom13Vwzoom13 Member Posts: 1
    Question: 04 Passat 1.8t. I've replaced the cluster cause it was not working. Now again the time don't work and the blinkers and hazzards don't work. I've checked all fuses they are good.
  • Mike_SiegalMike_Siegal Member Posts: 3
    Vwzoom13 said:

Question: 04 Passat 1.8t. I've replaced the cluster cause it was not working. Now again the time don't work and the blinkers and hazzards don't work. I've checked all fuses they are good.

I want to learn....what is 'the cluster' ???
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725

Vwzoom13 said:

Instrument cluster

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mike_SiegalMike_Siegal Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2021
    kyfdx said:

Vwzoom13 said:

Instrument cluster
    Ok...not much help my friend.
    NEXT QUESTION IS (drum roll please)....What is 'the Instrument Cluster?'
    ?
    OH I SEE... its a set of 'reading gauges' on the dashboard.