Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Audio

2»

Comments

• faisalmirza1faisalmirza1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Passat 2000, i installed a new CD player, it worked fine few days and i had to add the cable for the radio. Since then the cd player does not work. I took out the new cd player and replaced with the old one, even that one is no more working, no power at all. Checked all the fuses for cd player and the wiring is also ok.... need help please.. :confuse:
  • passatlover3passatlover3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99' Passat V6 with Tiptronic. I had the original radio but last week my dad installed me a new sony cd player that I just bought. But now, my tiptronic dosen't work at all and my car is in Fail Safe Mode and my check engine light is on. What can I do?
    Thank you for your help!

Sorry for the english writing...I'm french :S
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    some wires may be misconnected or disconnected or the whole electric system needs a proper restart.
  • passatlover3passatlover3 Member Posts: 2
    We tried. but nothing worked. My radio works fine. It's only the tiptronic and the '' safe failed mode''.
  • njstevenjsteve Member Posts: 4
    I'm installing a Pioneer Avic F700BT (NAV, Bluetooth, XM capable) with XM module to replace my OEM head unit. I also have Dynaudio and an active XM account. I bought the dash kit, harness, and antenna converter (for AM/FM). My questions are:
    1. Can I use existing shark fin SAT antenna? If so, is it clearly marked behind dash?
    2. Depending on where I mount the XM module, someone mentioned I may need an extension cable to tie in to the shark fin?
    3. For those who have been thru this before with an 06 or later Passat, any pointers, tips, or things to be aware of would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks in advance ... :cry:
  • beefersbeefers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Passat 3.6 4 motion, it has Dynaudio speakers but no subwoofer. The only problem I've had with the car is that I keep blowing the speakers. I would like to upgrade to aftermarket, does anyone have any suggestions to which speakers will work without giving me too much problems? And what size are the door woofers? Thanks!
    I'm not sure why you are blowing speakers, especially with the Dynaudio system. See this Dynaudio/VW link: http://dynaudio.com/eng/auto/VW/vw.htm for a better understanding of the system in your car. If you are still intent on going aftermarket, check out crutchfield.com and enter your car info. They will identify what speaker sizes you would need to interchange with.

I just swapped out my head unit over the weekend (Premium 7 I believe) with a Pioneer Avic F700BT deck that does NAVI, Bluetooth, and XM Radio. I was very happy with the stock Dynaudio system but wanted built-in NAV and bluetooth while still maintaining XM radio (love it). The Pioneer head unit actually enhances the system's sound to additional levels with the built-in EQ. All in all, I am amazed and extremely pleased with this upgrade and have no intentions to change the speakers out at all. Hope this info helps you in your quest! ;)
  • avaehsavaehs Member Posts: 3
    In 2009 the asounds changes in am radio. I was told because it is HD radio i like to knowe does any body have this experience?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Does this car have NAV. The 09 NAV system has HD radio for both AM and FM. The FM implementation doesn't have the subchannels for some weird reason.
    Here are the recommended part numbers for Bluetooth for a Passat. These are the ones you should use.

1Z0 035 729 A - Passat CC only since it's only for white dot MFD displays.
    1Z0 035 729 B - Same as 1Z0 035 729 A but for red dot display. Great for non CC's.

Avoid these part numbers

1K0 051 437
    1K8 035 730
    1K8 035 730 B

Those aren't very good. Thats the Volk-L. The Skoda modules are the 1Z0 ones and are much better. You'll need to have a VCDS dongle cable in order to program it. Skoda kit needs programming but a car stereo shop should be able to install it minus programming.
  • danprtrdanprtr Member Posts: 25
    Didn't have that problem on my '06 nor '09. You're hoping it's user error but it sounds like something in the radio to me. Dan
    The antenna is standard on the '09's but I think only SAT radios had it on the '06 - '08 models.

Bass not a problem for my taste except with SAT. Crappy "tinny" sound in the Passat and Santa Fe (with upgraded Infinity) with SAT. Must be due to all the compression Sirius/XM put in the music to allow hundreds of channels.
    Monsoon is great, loved it on a '00 and '03 and remember the amp in the trunk passenger side. Do you want an amp or just plenty of distortion free volume? The '09 CC has great volume on music CD's (haven't tried MP3's yet). Overall sound quality is pretty good too but not as good as I remember the Monsoon. Still, with 8 speakers it's better than a lot of premium radios in the overall price range of the car.

A picture of the Euro spec RCD-510. The US will get it as the Premium VIII. 6.5" non VGA touch screen. Similar to the new RNS-510 but without the NAV, Video, and the HDD. Has a different faceplate. Certain bluetooth modules can access a phone menu. Works with Dynaudio if you are handy with the latest beta of VCDS and have a ross-tech cable that works with it. The Premium VIII supports SD cards and has a 6 CD changer. It will be on the 2010 CC but it's retrofittable to older 06-09 Passats. 09 CC's can have it as well if you enable BAP. CC's with dynaudio will need to code to the Dynaudio BAP option not the regular one. Regular Passat's with Dynaudio will need to code it to Dynaudio. Works great if you have a portable nav and want a nice touch screen radio.
    Just some clarifications.

This unit has full iPod capability with the MDI. It works with the POS VW iPod adapter but you should swap that unit with the MDI and the iPod cable. The MDI supports USB and aux in. Don't use the MDI USB cord with iPod's since it wont work. The MDI requires a $40 cable in order to have full iPod integration. It's really nice. You can browse through your iPod via the touch screen. They have retrofit kits for the MDI and you can retrofit it. It's pricey but worth it.
  • vabeachccvabeachcc Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a part number for the MDI and iPod cables? I am about to buy a new 2010 CC and they have the new RCD-510 radio but not the iPod option. Also, any idea as to how hard it will be to install the part?
  • steveiesteveie Member Posts: 1
    I too have blown my Dynaudio door speakers. I want to replace with an aftermarket speaker. Can you tell me where you bought your replacements and the model numbers to order and that will fit the passenger door tweeter and door mount bottom speaker? Are there two or three speakers in the door?

Please let me know how things worked for you and your system?

Thanks, Steveie.
  • deathtrapdeathtrap Member Posts: 2
    hey whats up,
    ell i recently installed a JVC KW-AV810 in my 2002 passat, well everythong was great for like 3 days, the new system was sounding wicked. then all of a sudden no sound was comming out, from not a single speaker, but strangely when i make a hard left turn, the music comes on for like 3-5 sec.
    plz can u guys provide me with any advice what to do
    Two possible solutions:

1. Drive in circles :)
    2. If you did NOT butt splice your connections, I would start there.
    When I replaced my stock head unit (with SAT radio) with a Pioneer Avic F700BT, I could not figure out where the factory antenna is, so I used the provided antenna and do not get as good reception as from the stock setup.

I will say that this Pioneer unit, coupled with my Dynaudio speakers, is the SWEETEST sounding car audio system I've ever had. I flat out blows me away every day!
  • deathtrapdeathtrap Member Posts: 2
    plz do give more details, thank you
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The "stock" VW radio uses a 'powered' antenna. The stock head unit sends power to the antenna where an RF (Radio Frequency) amplifier boosts the signal right from the antenna into the wire feeding to the radio.

I am not certian about the Passat.... but the Jetta antenna is imbedded into the rear window. (alongside the heating-elements for the defroster)
    There should be a retrofit kit available. It's part number 5N0 035 342 B and 000 051 446 C. You'll need a harness. However VW will offer it as an accessory and it includes the cable. Sorry for the late response.
  • sabian1sabian1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I recently had to replace my battery (01' 4-motion) and now my monsoon stereo sounds terrible. The volume fades up and down by itself, the max volume is very quiet, the sound quality is distorted and the right rear speaker has no sound at all. I did lose the station settings, but the treble, mid, bass and faders were saved. Any ideas what might be going on? I'm at a loss. It sounded great until I replaced the battery.

Thanks
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The volume is SUPPOSED to go up as your MPH increases and down as you slow. The owners-manual explaines that feature and how to disable it if you want.

As for the rest of your problems, I cannot explain them.

QUESTION: Did your radio go into SAFE mode when you replaced the battery? (Most VW radios will 'think' they are being stolen and say SAFE on the screen when you replace the battery.. .you must enter a secret-code to unlock the SAFE mode.)
  • sabian1sabian1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think the volume is supposed to change with acceleration in the way mine is. The sound fades out to complete silence for one to two minutes, then fades back in. It does this even at a consistent driving speed. Also, the max volume is very low. On a normal scale of 0-10 with 10 being the normal max volume. Mine is about a 4. It did not go into safe mode. The stereo came on and I had some sound after replacing the battery, just distorted, quiet sound.
  • kcraft727kcraft727 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 01 Passat wagon with the Monsoon Audio system, with 6 disc changer located in the cargo area, unfortunately the cd player that goes above the radio, was not there. Could someone give me some idea on where to find the cd player or what other cd player I could get. Thanks in advance
  • mkpa1mkpa1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2008 VW Passat. So its relatively new and only has 30k on it. I got home from work on Friday, parked the car and didn't drive it again until Sunday. I got in and the audio volume was all messed up. First of all, it was very very low (unusually so)- to the point where I had to turn it all the way up to barely hear it. That's not normal- its usually too loud at the lower levels even. I noticed that it faded in and out on its own...after a few seconds at a new volume level, the volume would decrease by itself and be viturally inaudible at half volume...And when I would turn down the volume (on both the knob and steering wheel) the volume woud actually increase to what it should have been at the level and then taper down again to an inaudible volume. This happened all of a sudden-out of nowhere when I got back in the car to run to the grocery store. It is still like that today. I thought that it could have been changed to turn up when accelerating, but that is definitely not the case.

Is this normal? Will it just go back to normal by itself? Do I need to call the dealership and use the warranty and get this fixed. This is my first car I bought myself...is this the way this car will be for the entire time I own it? haha

Any advice/previous experiences with similar problems...much appreciated!
  • ghlaneghlane Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I'm trying to burn a cd off of my itunes, 2x doesn't seem to work, any idea at what speed I should use? Thanks
  • copihuecopihue Member Posts: 1
    First the navigation system could not read the cd. Now the radio doesn't work at all. They are telling me a new system is $2500, does anyone know how I can get something cheaper? The dealer doesn't know anything about how to fix it, a new system is all they can recommend. Advise please. :cry:
  • connecticut2connecticut2 Member Posts: 41
    I have successfully synced up my smartphone to the 09 Passat via Bluetooth and can make/receive calls from the car. I can make an outgoing call by asking to dial the name, however, when an incoming call is coming in, the name of the calling party is not being announced, even though the name is in the phone book and I am seeing the name on the console. Does anyone know what I need to tweak to make the incoming calls being announced?

thanks..
This discussion has been closed.