Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Clutch Problems

13»

Comments

• marenlindseymarenlindsey Member Posts: 11
    Mine smelled like that for a few months. It is that newly worked on smell... it went away gradually. I think it's normal. I got mine replaced at 25K a year ago and the new clutch has been working great.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    If it smoked really bad when you burnt it, you may just be getting the lingering smell. It's a good thing you realized you are riding the clutch - now you can do something about it - stop doing it!
  • lll0228lll0228 Member Posts: 23
    I was surprised to find this thread, I was hoping that I was the only one... I have only owned my 2004 MT for under a year. I know the previous owner and she was not a clutch riding driver, nor am I (I am certified to race in multiple countries). I was quite surprised to find that it started slipping after I put 6k miles on it (bought it with 44k), and I hardly drive much at all, thanks to the Seattle Metro buses.

My mechanic couldn't believe what he saw either, the clutch plate was worn all the way down to the rivets. And it left marks on the pressure plate (second picture). Please ignore the rust, it set in after a few days left exposed in the humid weather up here in the Northwest. I didn't pick up the car rightaway.

I will be sending these photos to Acura. I know they are not responsible for this kind of clutch failure since it's well beyond warranty, I do wish that they would know it happened. I have owned many MT cars, this is the first time I have to do a clutch job at under 50k miles; and it's a Honda, for goodness sake. Even my older Jetta lasted 'til 100k. I am not too happy about this, to be honest, but the rest of the car is nice enough.

I also have to give CMarr Automotive in Seattle a big kudos for doing this right, being incredibly responsible and charged me much much less than what it could have been at the dealerships. Nice work guys, thank you.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Just on the face of it (no pun intended) from the pictures it just looks like normal wear. Don't see any busted springs. Maybe the previous owner wasn't as skillful as you? I suppose that some serious testing of the pressure plate's applicable force might be in order, if one were tuned it to that type of testing. Perhaps a clutch rebuilder could tell you something.
  • lll0228lll0228 Member Posts: 23
    She is not as skilled as I am (never been to high performance schools), but she did not ride the clutch. That I know for sure, I have sat in her car before a few times. She is also a very gentle driver.

Even if she did a tiny little bit, that's a lot of wear for barely over 40k. I would contend that, for a modern Honda, that it would take a lot of serious abuse to wear out a clutch at under 100k.

I am also not a fast and furious driver, I don't drive hard at all and I've never taken this car to the track. Oh well, at least it looks like I am not the only person that encountered this.
    It's hard to know. Another way to kill a clutch is to lug the engine (be in 5th gear instead of a more appropriate 3rd, for instance), or do use the transmission to brake the car, or to use the clutch to hold the car on hills.

clutches are like brakes---they are expendable items, and as such it is extremely difficult to get satisfaction from a manufacturer on premature wear. Sometimes dealers will take "good will money" that they have at their disposal (dealers who have performed well in sales) and put that towards a 50-50 settlement on a new clutch.

But still I would be as discouraged as you over a 40K clutch failure. It's just so hard to "prove" what happened unless you can see broken parts in the clutch.

Was the flywheel "burned" at all? Any oil leakage? Any leakage from the clutch slave cylinder? Complaints of hard shifting in the past? Excessive wear on the throw out bearing collar? Damage to the flywheel pilot bushing? Any binding, signs of wear, bending, of the transmission input shaft? ---- all these might be tell-tale signs of why the clutch failed.

I have seen a little "buzz" an TSX clutch issues, but I never did see anyone getting a free clutch out of it.

My suspicion is that the clutch may not have been well-matched to the car, but it's very hard to get any tangible info.
    The only time there's wear on the clutch is when the disc is not fully engaged to the flywheel. The only things that affects the wear is the time spent in this not fully engaged state (slipping) and the material the disk plate is made of. The former is within control of the driver while the ladder is something that is Honda's responsibility. It's hard to tell from this board (and others) how much of this issue can laid at Honda's feet - but it could certainly be that they got a bunch of lemon disc plates causing this issue. Being in the business to make money, Honda will try to avoid addressing this issue via the "it's a wear item" loophole (even within the warranty period). The onlyway this will get any traction is if the problem is widespread enough. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case, yet.
    A faulty clutch slave cylinder could hurt the clutch, too.
    I was reading through the notes on this and I am sorry that happened to your car lll0228! My clutch went out at 25K. I guess I got really lucky because my local dealership, Ron Tonkin Acura in Portland did cover the entire new clutch repair. They did this for me because I have always taken my car there for it's maintenance and also it was the second Acura I had purchased there. I am replying bc I noticed above that Mr. Shiftright had never heard of one being completely covered. I was astounded myself! I definitely feel loyalty now to Tonkin and will go there for all of my regularly scheduled maintenance!
    Oh I meant I never heard of one being covered out of warranty. In warranty, and at 25K miles,you have a much stronger case.
  • mhayleymhayley Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 TSX 6-sp just blew its clutch at 29k miles. Dealer says it is a wear item and wants $1,600.

I am age 55, drive normal and have not had a speeding ticket in 15-years. I've driven manual transmission cars since I was 16; I do not ride the clutch, I do not race or hot-rod, and I live in Miami where there are no hills. I do live in an urban area with a lot of traffic.

This is my 3rd Honda with a manual transmission and it blows my mind that a clutch could fail after 28k miles. Worse of all, my lease expires in exactly 60-days.

I appreciate the posts in this forum. I will see the service manager face to face this afternoon; you've given me some ammunition.
  • djfosterdjfoster Member Posts: 8
    If the service manager does not provide any satisfaction, call Acura Customer Care.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    acura customer care will probably tell you it is a normal wear item, therefore, not covered. You have better luck dealing with the service manager if you do not yell at them. They just might do it as a one-time goodwill service. Good Luck. My 06 6MT tsx, bought new 11/06, has 99,000 problem free miles.
  • civic2kcivic2k Member Posts: 18
    2008 Acura TSX, 6-spd, 23k miles

I recently had the third gear synchro go out on me and took it to the dealer. I've never had to replace a clutch in my life let alone have a transmission REBUILT, and this is my baby (not a scratch/dent on her, I keep this in mint condition), and definitely DO NOT race it.

I got a call from the dealer telling me my clutch was gone, and that they could replace it for $700 since the transmission was out. I fought it, called Acura Corporate, but they were of no help. The clutch was fine when I dropped the car off, but reading this thread scared me into saying yes. Anyway, dealer changed their story and told Corporate it was 25% worn, and that they only SUGGESTED I replace it (*AFTER* replacing it, of course), and that I was responsible for the charges. Long story short, I paid $400+ tax at the end of the day for a clutch replacement I don't even think I needed.

Here's the problem I'm having now though: the clutch pedal feels WAY off, it feels very light (no feedback), and the engagement point feels too close to the floor. I assume it needs to be adjusted (though the dealership said they need to "test drive" my car first, and I'm sure they'll say it's normal). Keep in mind I consider myself a pretty good driver (doesn't everybody?) and have NEVER had to replace a clutch in my life, so this is new to me. Is it normal to fall to the floor so easily after these repairs? Also, clutch engagement has always been 2"-3" off the floor on this car prior and on my other cars...when they inevitably say it's normal, I can tell them to think again and adjust it, right?
    No, that is definitely NOT normal! I had mine replaced at 25K, dealer covered it for me simply bc I had done all of my service there as well as buying the car there (This is where I say Tonkin Acura in Portland, OR is awesome!!). Anyhow, the new clutch smelled a bit for a couple thousand miles but the clutch peddle felt like normal- the same as when it was new. I am up to 40K now and it still works great!

I sure hope those guys fix it properly for you!!
  • civic2kcivic2k Member Posts: 18
    Thanks. Mine did NOT smell weird at all, couldn't smell any odd odor. From what I've read new clutches are usually "sticky" and tricky to engage in the beginning...my clutch actually SLIPPED for a while in the beginning (granted I picked it up right after a snowstorm, there were still flurries). The only other trickiness I have to deal with is an odd feeling clutch and an engagement point close to the floor. Hmmmm.

The shifter has even popped out of gear a few times (this is new to me), but maybe it's the rebuilt transmission breaking in...it shifted real clunky in the beginning but has progressively gotten better.

After reading around a bit, I'm thinking (hoping) there's just air in the system. Wish me luck!
    I Do wish you luck! I know how devastating something like that is when it happens to your like new car (I still think of mine as new)!! =)
    much luck to you-
    I still consider my 06 tsx new even with the almost 100,000 problem free miles. I am very protective of where I park, wash it often and it is garage kept. I make sure the maintenance is done.
  • devstsxdevstsx Member Posts: 2
    Like the rest of you, my clutch failed at 57K miles. I own a 06 TSX that I bought new and I have been driving MT all my life a never had a clutch fail on me this early.

I initially took it in to the dealer and they replaced the slave cylinder (warranty repair) but that did not fix the problem. I just had the clutch, PP, T/O bearing, and Flywheel replaced for a whopping $1500. I went to pick it up yesterday, the clutch is extremely light and releases to high of the ground....this is not normal and they say it is..i do not agree, and they say there is no adjustments?

Secondly, I drove off the lot with it, took it out on the highway and it started making a turbine noise over 65mph...i took it right back and it is back in the shop....has anyone had these problems? The car was pretty much perfect before I took it in...now it feels like a completely different car. I am really disappointed with the service...any suggestions would be welcomed!
  • spyjai007spyjai007 Member Posts: 3
    Yep, never had to replace a clutch before. Been driving MT from 14 years now. The price they are charging me sounds ridiculous...$2400. I was going to have the tires done as well...set of 4...$1000+. Air bag sensor replacement (I didn't hit anything)...$325. Brake pads and rotor "resurfacing"...whatever. Chance I'll ever buy another Acura? Zero!!!!
    My dealer made it sound like 4years, 50K miles, would keep it under warrenty. Of course mine went at 4 years, 3 months. BS.
    edited August 2010
    sorry to hear that. I also own a 06 6MT tsx, bought new 11/17/06. Replaced the OEM Michelin tires at 74,000 miles with Yokohama Avid 4v-s tires. Do not like them-lose traction on wet pavement and very noisy. I have the original brake pads and rotors and no problems with the clutch after almost 110,000 problem free miles. love it. The warranty on my tsx expired at 18 months (had 50,000 miles then)
  • nomoretsxsnomoretsxs Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05M TSX in the shop right now. 73k miles, fluids and wear items well maintained, experienced driver. Had the clutch replaced at a Honda dealership three weeks ago. Experienced the same turbine noise at 65mph after clutch replaced. Service engine soon light came on this morning. Code came up as P0341 CMP sensor out of range (basically stretched timing belt.) The prevailing theory among my peers is that "torque was applied to the crankshaft to remove flywheel, crankshaft would want to turn but be resisted by chain and valves, flywheel should probably be locked with a crank lock tool or something. Just guessing. Kind of coincidental it happened after a honda dealer did the work. Maybe they lacked a special tool?" Trying to look up repair manual pdf on the internet now. Good Luck.
  • devstsxdevstsx Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for that information, the dealer thinks I am hearing things! I am not going crazy.....well, as I said, I am not happy with the way it handles since then and I made a concious decision over the weekend about trading it in.....well, its gone tomorrow, upgraded to a 2010 Lexus IS. No more acuras, plus the new models are all ugly! I wish everyone much luck with their tsxs...overall it has been a great car, no major complaints otherwise.
    OK, my dealer is Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, Virginia. This is the break down of my bill for an '06 TSX 6M w/ 44k miles. Rear Brake Service...$80 parts, $285 labor (machine rotors/drums,replace pads/shoes, service calipers). TSX Power Steering Hose recall...no charge. Airbag Service Light (never was in an accident, not sure why the light was coming on)...$109 parts, $111 labor (replaced right front impact sensor in bumper). Type A Oil service...$19.74 parts, $20.25 labor. And last but certainly not least, replaced clutch disc, pressure plate, engine flywheel, and throw out bearing (clutch assembly)...$753 parts, $1688 labor (flywheel @ $293, friction disk @ $171, Pressure disk @$202, and bearing @ $59).

Within an hour of arriving they had diagnosed that the clutch had to be replaced...I assume they had to take it off and look at it within that time. For $1600 in labor you have to wonder how many hours it took them to put the new one on?
  • gregorbgregorb Member Posts: 4
    Think the clutch just went on mine.. :(

'04 TSX 6M 40k miles.

Started acting funny a couple days ago - today it started slipping badly when accelerating or climbing steep hills. Dealer (Piazza Acura in Concordeville, PA) will look at it Mon or Tues.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...........this sailor shifts the same six-speed manual shift transmission (but with a V-6 attached - not really sure that the clutch is the same as the preceding posts which address early clutch failure),

I'm right at 95,000 - and like nj2 - no negatives to date.

Any available feedback on V-6/4-cylinder clutch system differences appreciated.

best, ez....
    Uh, what clutch on the V6 - the V6 TSX doesn't offer one.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    Uh, what clutch on the V6 - the V6 TSX doesn't offer one.

Agree (Gen7 Accord in garage). Not quite 'abandon hope all ye that enter here (but close).

ez....
    Nearly the same bill for the clutch on my '04 TSX. 14 hours labor. :(

From what the service guy said, it's a lot of work, and they use 2 guys. Piazza Acura in Concordville, PA. They did give me a loaner for the 4 days the car was in the shop - had a winter storm which delayed getting parts for a couple of days.

The only addition was a 4-wheel alignment, saying it was necessary when the transmission is removed. Add on another $100 for that....
    The saga continues - the clutch pedal started getting soft yesterday so I called the dealer. Car is headed back on Monday.

To say I am unhappy is an understatement.
  • homemadesinhomemadesin Member Posts: 1
    I respectfully disagree.

I drive an '08 TSX which has this dead clutch issue at 50,000 miles. My commute is 25 minutes each way, mostly highway miles. Other than a big trip (4,000 miles), this is the commute this car sees daily. I have a 4-cylinder Jeep at 227,000 miles with stock clutch (but bad synchros).

I can not fathom having a clutch go at 50k on an Acura. Not to mention the rear brakes were replaced about 20k miles ago, which I thought was odd. I really believe the hydraulic clutch system is the problem, and owners are being footed the bill ($2100 in my case).

I chose this car new from the dealer for my company car and was considering buying it after the lease. Not any more...
    sorry to hear that-
    I own a 06 6MT tsx, bought new 11/17/06. Have driven it 42 states and numerous trips from NC to NJ and back. Replaced the original michelin tires at 74,000 miles (they all measured 4/32 then) We now have almost 50,000 miles on the Yokahama tires (recently measured at 6/32) We still have the original brakes-measured 8's in front and 6's in rear and still have the original clutch with no problems with that. The car has almost 124,000 problem free miles. Love it.
  • awincellawincell Member Posts: 1
    I had no idea there was a forum on this topic. My 2008 TSX blew its clutch at 25K miles. Although under warranty, the regional rep would only approve partial coverage for the repair - so I had about $900 out of pocket. Now it is 10K miles later and I'm experiencing the same issues. Yes, I was treated very much as others of you describe in my first go around - must be my fault as a driver. Bogus - driving for over 30 years manual transmissions all the way. I am so annoyed by the treatment I'll never buy another Acura or Honda. The big question is now how to handle this. I've considered contacting the Commissioner of Commerce or the press before I even go into the dealership. Car is still under warranty. Thoughts?
    Sorry to hear but I thought the clutch was not covered by the warranty (normal wear and tear item) I know the transmission is covered. The majority of the vehicles I have owned since my driving days started in 1971 have had manual transmission. I never had to replace the clutch on any of them. My 06 tsx, bought new 11/17/06, has 124,000+ miles with the original clutch.
    It seems to be a hit or miss on this issue. If you are that dissatisfied with it I'd say it's time to sell it - especially since it's still under warranty.
    I sold mine within 6 weeks after replacing the clutch. I figured the last year I spent over $4500 replacing the brakes and clutch, and if I was going to make payments on a car it might as well be a new one.

The dealership treatment (Piazza Acura in West Chester, PA) was absolutely shabby, outside of their grudgingly giving me a loaner while repairs were made. When I showed up at 5 pm to pick up the TSX, there was absolutely no one available to answer any questions. They were more concerned that I wasn't going to put more than $2500 on a credit card and pay the rest in cash or check than whether or not I was happy with their service. Was I wrong in expecting to get my questions answered promptly and honestly? Having to take the car back a 2nd time to rebleed the clutch line didn't help matters.

Had to call a couple of times the next day to get any questions answered and the informed opinion of the service drone was that the problems were the fault of the driver. I've had manual transmission cars for 35 years, and this is the first premature failure of a clutch I've experienced. 40k on a modern car is ridiculous - my crappy Saturn's clutch was still going strong at 97k when I sold that.
  • cj55acj55a Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my '08 TSX with just under 50K miles. I've been driving Honda family cars with manual transmissions for the last 20+ years and have never had a clutch wear out, including 140K on in an my Accord, 115K on my Integra (sole owner) before I sold it and 7OK on my civic when I sold it - all on their original clutches with no problems whatsoever.
    Got a ridiculous "well, if you're new to using a manual transmission, you can really wear out the clutch..." excuse but no warranty coverage from Acura.
    Given all my previous experience with Honda manual transmissions, there is definitely something wrong with the clutch system in the Acura. The TSX is the only one of my honda cars with a hydraulic clutch system rather than a mechanical clutch but I don't know if that's the underlying cause.
    Basic fact is that it's obviously a manufacturer's problem if clutches are failing at 50K in normal use even if it's the customers who are footing the bill.