Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Clutch Problems

Comments

• johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The TSX comes with a bumper-to-bumper warranty and the clutch lies between the bumpers. I agree it's a normal wear item, but 50K miles is way premature for a clutch to fail unless it's been hammered on or abused.

I would argue vehemently with the dealer to have this covered. If that doesn't work, contact Acura and deal with them.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Typically many clutch parts are excluded from the B to B warranty as they are wear items just like brake pads, wipers, et al.

Usually wear parts in the clutch will be covered for 12K/12 months as they figure nobody should be able to kill a clutch that quickly.
  • dhejnadhejna Member Posts: 5
    Thanks again for your reply. I agree re the prematurity clutch - I live outside SF - bit more hilly around here -- but still ----The service manager is keeping the parts, took pictures of the parts, said he had the "corporate service managers" look at it, etc. and say it is a "wear" problem - that I either "rode the clutch" or the previous owner did (I bought the car with 13K miles). I will pursue with Acura corporate.....unfortuntately, I've got a "bail" the car out today.....it will be a matter of me trying to get my $ back ....thx so much again for your feedback - much appreciated ...
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    Cannot comment on Acura clutch warranties but I can tell you that to burn out a modern clutch in 50,000 miles you have to just about intentionally do it. One of my Audis got 185,000 out of its orignal clutch and audi I once had got to 175,000 on its clutch. Mostly in town driving. did not abuse it but did not baby it either.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If the clutch is removed and the clutch disk is worn down to the rivets, or the flywheel is burned blue and the pressure plate is intact and undamaged, I don't think a "defective" clutch would be the right diagnosis.

It's very possible the clutch system may have been substandard and may have caused premature wear, but the idea is this, that a slipping clutch is noticeable to the driver and so if the clutch disk is worn down to the nubs, there is at least a shared responsibility here.

I'd say (speaking for myself) that if my clutch wore out at say 35K and we disassembled it and found no problem with the pressure plate or TO bearing and the clutch disk was worn down, I'd ask for some sort of "you pay parts, I pay labor" settlement.

After 50,000 miles, the whole idea of a "defect" becomes less and less likely IMO.

Really situations like this boil down to how hard-[non-permissible content removed] the dealer wants to be with you. He has discretionary monies to make good will repairs (if he's in good stead with the factory).
  • dhejnadhejna Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback. I asked the dealer to save the parts (he didn't) but instead sent me pictures. I'm in the process this week of documenting my case.....I'm also going to look into the risks of the hydraulic (vs. cable) clutches installed over the last few years .....I've heard they behave substantially differently - and of course have pros and cons...... one of the cons being that this type of clutch is engineered to clutch "for you" in certain cases.....so will lead to premature wear and tear...
  • dhiodhio Member Posts: 2
    I too had my clutch fail at less than 38,000 miles. I was stunned to be told today by the dealership, and later a zone rep from Acura, that they would not replace it because of driver abuse. Basically, they said that they believe because of wear on my tire treads (they claimed the fronts were 'bald' despite the fact that they just passed a state inspection) and the state of the clutch that they think the damage could only be done if I was racing or something. If you knew me, you'd know just how funny this is... I am a 36yo woman who has never raced a car in her life. I drove my Honda Civic for 8 years without a single clutch problem (or other mechanical issue, for that matter) and my TSX goes only from home (in a hilly neighborhood) to work (in a congested downtown area). I don't know how the tires got worn that way, unless it was as I was spinning the tires trying to get the car out of a middle lane on a hill after the clutch went out Saturday.

Anyway, I loved my TSX and I thought I loved Acura, but I'm just baffled by this.
  • clubkittyclubkitty Member Posts: 1
    I also have had my clutch fail at less than 30k. Acura has been very insistent that its simply the fact that women can't drive a manual transmission and maybe some driving lessons would help! I've got over a decade worth of experience driving exclusively MT vehicles and I seriously doubt it's me. I've been dealing with acura since June, and now they tell me it's simply wear & tear. In a car I've owned for less than a year it has spent almost half of that time in the shop for various malfunctions. I go back today to get my car, but I think I know what they're going to stay---
    Folks - a clutch is a wear part. Typically manufacturers will cover it for 12 months/12K miles as a courtesy but after that, it's considered to be worn.
    Folks - a clutch is a wear part. Typically manufacturers will cover it for 12 months/12K miles as a courtesy but after that, it's considered to be worn.

Yeah, it's a wear item, but a clutch failing at 30K miles is ridiculous. Short of outright abuse, I can't envision a scenario where normal use would cause this, unless there's something inherently wrong with the clutch assembly.

I've been driving MT equipped vehicles for 29 years, and I've never had a clutch wear out in less than 100K miles, and they usually run out to 120K or so.
    They might have engineered the clutch for very smooth operation and very little effort, at the cost of durability. I think if I were a good stichshift driver and I still had premature clutch wear, I would opt to install a heavier duty clutch and pressure plate next time around. I'm sure they make 'em for Acura. If the pressure plate doesn't apply enough force, the disk will slip and that means wear. I'd risk a little strain on my left leg and possibly a little clutch grab for 3X the clutch life.
    Oh I agree, it's rare to have a clutch wear out at 30K.

I've owned plenty as well and only my first MT vehicle wore out that quickly - first clutch at 11K, second clutch at 30K.

Next vehicle was fine at 80K when I traded it and after that was fine at 140K when I traded it.
    Well, if they did that they made a mistake, IMO. Honda clutch's are known for their durability. To all of a sudden reverse field and produce a clutch with shorter life in the name of smoothness is ludicrous.

Besides, many other TSX drivers I know of have gone over a 100K with no issues.
  • levinbrooklevinbrook Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I bought the car used at 35K miles and i LOVE IT, it's the first car I honestly and truly love. at 46K miles, the clutch failed. stopped on the freeway. the car is under extended warranty but ha-ha, that doesn't include the clutch. I bit my tongue and paid $2K to a dealership, blaming the damage on the first owner.

10 months and 14K miles later (today), I took it in for a 60,000 mile service and mentioned that I didn't like how clutch behaved ever since another dealership put in a new one. MY CLUTCH FAILED AGAIN, they tell me. the warranty covers 12 months or 12K miles, so i'm out of luck.

may be i'm not the world's best driver, but I know that I don't burn rubber and I don't ride the clutch. 14 K MILES FOR A NEW CLUTCH!!!!

I called corporate and found out that they don't have:
    (1) technical experts capable of telling me about expected life expectancies of any parts
    (2) legal advisors capable of offering guidance

am I crazy? or should a clutch last longer than 10 months under normal driving conditions?

please, I'm in dire need of sanity check before I sell my baby ....
  • kmccannkmccann Member Posts: 6
    I have an 04 TSX 6spd with 45,000 miles. I am currently on the 3rd clutch master cylinder. My clutch pedal squeaks from time to time, and also become a bit notchy right off the floor. This is why the dealer has replaced the master cylinder 2x already. once at 18,000 and again at 41,000. It STILL occasionally has the problem. Seems to happen more in humid/wet weather. The dealer is willing to take care of me after my warranty expires in march. (Some threats and bad reviews of the dealer/service manager to Acura corporate helped secure that.)

Has anyone else had similar problems with a creaky/notchy clutch pedal?
  • marenlindseymarenlindsey Member Posts: 11
    I leased a 2007 TSX MT and have had it for 23 months. I was driving it back from California to Oregon on I-5 in cruise control when my clutch went out on me. This is the 2nd Acura I have bought at Tonkin in Portland... I love Hondas! I have always taken it to the dealer I bought it from for all services... even though it's more expensive than a private shop, this way they have all records showing I have had all of my services kept up on.

They told me that normally this is considered a wear item but that since I have had all of my services done there previously they will cover the otherwise $1800 fix. I wonder if this is bc I leased it and can just turn it in at the end? Not sure, but I will be raving about Tonkin to everyone I know!! They have always taken great care of me as a loyal customer.

Still CRAZY that my clutch went out at 25K!! Has anyone else had early problems with their 2007 MTs? I have been driving MT for 10 years now, and would hope I know what I am doing by now!!
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    Sorry to hear about the clutch going out but glad to hear you have an excellent dealer. I am happy to say I have no problems with the clutch on my 06 tsx, bought new 11/17/06. It now has 66,500 miles. I also have an excellent dealer that I recommend to others-Lehigh Valley Acura in Pa..
  • practicatpracticat Member Posts: 2
    I too have driven MT cars for a long time (40+ years) and like you and the posters of this thread’s Messages #61 (‘clubkitty’) and #66 (‘levinbrook’), have experienced premature clutch failure with my Acura (’05 TL model), requiring two clutch replacements over the course of 84K miles of driving -- around twice the failure rate for the clutches on the 7 cars previously owned by me. Based on such prior experience (and as a practicing professional engineer), I find it absurd that a properly operated clutch should need replacing at about the same time as the disk-brake pads do, as mine did. Making it even more absurd, the total parts & labor cost was around twice that for other cars (including clutch replacements in Honda’s, Acura’s parent company, by the way), resulting in fourfold higher clutch-replacement costs over time!!

I believe that the poster ‘levinbrook’ was exploring the possibility of some sort of class-action lawsuit, but I do not know what progress s/he has made in such pursuits.
  • charles44charles44 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear about the short clutch wear life. Might want to look into a 100% Kevlar composite clutch from Tribco www.tribco.com. Their products last 3-5 times longer, is smooth engaging and doesn't wear the flywheel! :D Just make sure the opposing surface is smooth and free of grooves and cracks to begin with and it'll stay that way.
  • jlarjlar Member Posts: 1
    I completely agree. My TSX clutch went out at 38K miles and I went to Acura but the District Manager here in the Bellevue area denied me (where I bought the car new). I have driven a manual transmission for 18 years and this is the first clutch to die on me. It is a faulty clutch. $1,300 later, that is the last Acura I will ever buy. Luxury car? Warranty? WHATEVER!!!! I am going to tell everyone I know.
    sorry for your problems with the tsx clutch. I own a 06 6MT tsx, bought new 11/06. It has 88,000+problem free miles. Love it . I am planning on buying the 2010 TL when it gets the manual transmission.
    I am so sorry to hear of your problem also with your clutch. They really should have done something for you, at the very least to meet you half way?! I hope that you told them about how they made you feel about Acuras and about their dealership!

Terrible... customer service can make all the difference!

Here's hoping your Acura has a long life now after you have replaced the clutch!!
  • kevininrikevininri Member Posts: 1
    Just experienced clutch failure the other day with my 2007 TSX with only 36,000 miles. Had to have the car towed to the dealer after the clutch failed and was quoted around $1800 to have it replaced. I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for the last 14 years (4 vehicles total purchased new), mostly highway driving, and all of my other vehicles have gotten at least 70-80K miles without having any issues with the clutch. Dealer suggested I call Acura customer care, and they (along with the district service manager) explained that the clutch is a "wear and tear" item, and after 12,000 miles, there are ABSOLUTELY no exceptions to this unless something else faulty within the transmission caused the clutch failure. Other than this, I'd been pretty happy with my car, and may have considered purchasing a new one next year sometime, but after reading these posts and hearing Acura's response on this, I will absolutely never consider another Acura vehicle again.
    Dang!! There's nothing they will do for you? The Acura dealership I worked with actually made the call to fix it for me. They said it would be a one time favor since it was the second car I had bought from them and also I take it there for all of its servicing. Did you tell the dealer that you will never buy Acura again and spread the word to everyone you knew not to buy from their store? This might get their attention... it sounds like a bunch of crap to me!
    sorry to hear that-I am happy to say I have no problems with the clutch (knock on wood) on my 06 tsx, bought new 11/06. It now has 93,000+miles, I learned to drive manual transmission on the first car I owned-a 1971 VW Super Beetle (my brother taught me) Have been driving MT ever since and never had clutch problems.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    The thing that makes this unusual is that it failed in such a way that it had to be towed. Generally a clutch goes out slowly over time - it doesn't just blow up to the point that it can't be driven all of a sudden.
    Hmm, weird. I have not ever had a clutch go out on me previous to that, so I am not sure how that typically works. Mine would randomly rev really high if I would try to push on the gas sometimes. I had no problems whatsoever with my clutch until that... and of course I took it to the dealership that very day, bc there's no way you can drive it like that! But yeah, I didn't have to have it towed. I was 200 miles away from home when it happened and was able to limp it in to the dealership.

That is really awful that you have to deal with that! With the hard economic times right now, you would think they would be fighting for your repeat business and/or referrals!
  • tech30tech30 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you people... need to stop complaining, go back to school and learn how to drive a vehicle with a clutch...
    update-my tsx now has 94,000 miles-no clutch problems-still smooth
    Wow, your intelligence astounds me. I guess you have never heard of parts failing?
  • djfosterdjfoster Member Posts: 8
    Well it happened to me. Last Friday I got into the TSX and no clutch. Had it towed to Walker Acura here in New Orleans. Monday evening the service manager calls and confirms clutch is shot and repairs will not be covered under warranty because this is a wear and tear item. I express dismay, since the car only has 19,000 miles on it. He will not budge. I call Acura Client Services and am basically told " too bad" clutch considered a wear and tear item. I explain I am 58 years old and certainly do not dog the car. No avail.

I have been driving manual transmissions since I was 15. My current daily driver is a 2002 Corvette 6 speed with over 80,000 miles. Never a clutch problem.

I am highly disappointed with Acura. This is my second Acura ( I had a manual CL a few years back) but likely my last. I expect this kind of blow off from GM but not Honda. Fortunately I am an attorney so I will pursue this in small claims court if need be. Again,my beef is with Acura, not the dealer. From other posts on this site I see premature clutch failure is a recurring problem that Acura just does not want to address.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Before I sold the car in 2005, the T/O bearing on my 2004 TSX clutch started going out at 18,000 miles. The dealer fixed my car under warranty.

It's my opinion that the drive-by-wire throttle is a contributor to the problem. Throttle tip-in is more sensitive/sudden than on manual cars of a few years ago (with conventional cable actuated throttles), and it's more strain on the clutch to get a smooth engagement/disengagement.
    It's very hard to judge clutch failure without having the parts in front of us.

If you pull off the pressure plate and the springs fall out, that's probably a defect. Certainly a bad TO bearing is a defect (in the warranty period I mean).

But a clutch disk worn to the rivets and a flywheel burned blue---well that's probably the driver. (presuming the pressure plate is functioning well and intact).

Sometimes (often?) it's a combination effect....the hydraulics malfunction and the driver keeps on rolling in spite of that, making life harder for clutch and synchros.

Even geography is an issue. A clutch in San Francisco is going to fail more often than one in Kansas. This goes without saying, all other things being equal. And one in snow country probably wears faster than one in Arizona.

And one that tows a trailer, etc.
    Thanks. I am bringing the parts to my Corvette mechanic. It just seems to me, absent intentional abuse, a clutch should not fail in under 20000 miles.
    That's a good idea. Maybe he can spot something.
    Well it looks like this might have a reasonably happy ending after all. Got a call from the service manager today that Acura, as a gesture of " goodwill", will cover all the parts and labor for the repairs except for the cost of the clutch disc itself, which the manages says will be under $ 400. So what started out as a $ 1500 to $ 2000 or so job will cost me less than $ 400.

This seems reasonable to me and goes a long way to restoring my faith in Acura and its dealers.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    that the cost (or price) of a clutch disc is under $400.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Must be one of those gold-plated disks used for racing! :P
    Wow, terrible! I am sorry to hear that. I wonder what the deal is with Acura TSX clutches? Hasn't Honda been doing this right for many years?

I sure hope you are somehow able to make things happen! In my experience, it was the dealer that ultimately made the call to cover my clutch fix... they told me they would take care of it but only bc I had bought 2 cars from them and taken it there for all of its servicing.

I say good luck to you!! It is outrageous for them to not cover that in a situation like yours.
    Wow, awesome! That sounds MUCH more reasonable than nothing covered! So glad to hear your luck turned around! =)
  • chrisjohnchrisjohn Member Posts: 1
    My clutch failed on my 2005 Acura TSX at 50,000 miles. The dealer claims there was no defect in the clutch parts and instead that the clutch wore away slowly, which the dealer attributed to riding the clutch. According to the dealer, there were no signs of sudden failure or burn up of the clutch. While I disagree that driving abuse or riding the clutch caused the problems, the dealership agreed to cover 2/3 of the costs and is charging me $650 for what was originally quoted as a $2,000 repair. As always, the Acura dealership was responsive and professional. Still, the underlying question of whether there is a design or defect problem with the Acura clutch that causes it to wear prematurely remains open.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....Still, the underlying question of whether there is a design or defect problem with the Acura clutch that causes it to wear prematurely remains open.
    This has been a really interesting discussion. Looks like Acura is either really professional about clutches or there is some design doubt (or both!!)

IIRC, I have the same 6M transmission (don't know about the clutch) on my 2005 Accord 6M coupe...........77k: zero clutch mishaps.

The 2010 TSX I4 6M is a contender. Two questions:

1. Is it the same clutch/pressure place et al for the present generation?

2. Anyone who has driven both Honda V-6 6M and 2nd Gen TSX 6M: your comments on clutch engagement (My 6M is vague) most appreciated.

Holidays best, ez....
    I know you'll cringe when I say this, but a clutch is an expendable item on a car. It's not supposed to last forever, although some do---but most don't last the life of the car. 50K does seem premature but not outside the statistical spectrum for clutch failures. If there was a "defect" it would have shown up long before IMO. The clutch takes a lot of stress and strain. I think the dealer who jumped in on replacement costs was being more than fair, and gave the driver the benefit of the doubt.

It is possible that the clutch *design* might have made compromises that could shorten life somewhat. This is often the case say on hi-po cars.
    we must be in the minority then-never had a clutch go bad in the numerous vehicles we have owned-most of them going over 100,000 miles and a few over the 200,000 mile mark. My 3 yeat old tsx has almost 96,000 miles with a excellent clutch
  • hinzohinzo Member Posts: 2
    :cry: my clutch just died on my 2004 TSX today and had to toe the car in :cry: . I was driving the highway on cruise-control going up hell. The engine revved up to 5k and felt like the clutch/transmission jerking, just in a little bit tried to downshift and wasn't able to switch gears anywhere..

It has 64k on it, and no warranty. I started to have weird problems for about a month. The car stopped accelerating as it used to; tough time going up hills and the engine revs up higher to 5k/rpm when hitting on gas paddle; some smell from bellow the engine after a ride. I thought it’s something with the sparkles and decided to wait until the next oil service.

I had a major service done on the car recently and no mention of any tear on the clutch. If it's a tear/wear piece then why wouldn't they check for it as they do on the breaks?!

I still need to wait until Monday for the diagnosis. I am a little scared to hear how much it would cost.

I think Acura service charge way too much on any service. In my last major car service, they had to replace the brake pads. I don't understand why they would charge full price (1 hour of labor) when they already had the tires taken apart and already paid 450+ on the service!

Apparently, this is my last MT car. But I still like my Acura!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....unbelieveable!!

ez...
    As the owner of numerous manual transmission vehicles-it sounds like the same problem I had with my 1987 maxima-the solution-not enough fluid. Never had a bad clutch (knock-on-wood). My 06 tsx, bought new 11/06, has the original brakes with lots of life left, original clutch and runs excellent after almost 96,000 miles. I have all the service done by the acura dealerYou probably spent more that one time than all the service I have had done. (basic oil changes/tires rotations/balances and the cabin filter changed. I learned never to ask for a certain mileage service. With the oil changes they go over the car.
    They don't inspect the clutch like they do the brakes because the clutch is inside the bell housing (you have to remove the transmission from the car to gain access). All you need to do for a brake inspection is look behind the wheels.

If you are having trouble with your clutch (for a month), it's up to you to tell your mechanic that you are having trouble, otherwise, he'll never know.

Dealerships do charge too much for maintenance, but I don't understand why you think they shouldn't charge you for the brake pad service. They have to remove the wheels, remove the calipers, remove the old pads, inspect/clean the calipers, pistons, guides, etc., install new pads, re-install the calipers, then re-install the wheels. None of that would be included as part of a scheduled service, and an hour (flat rate) of labor seems reasonable to me to replace brake pads.
  • hinzohinzo Member Posts: 2
    Got my car today. It ended up costing about $1500 at the dealer. It is not that bad especially that I got a TL loaner car for free for 3 days. I relized that I usually ride the clutch when I am stuck in traffic and there are lots of hills here in the NW.

As far as acceleration everything is back to normal. I still smell the clutch though? Is it because it's new or it's something I need to be aware of?
    "I still smell the clutch"

What does it smell like? How do you know it's the clutch and not something else?