Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Find another chevy dealer and get their opinion, even if it is several miles away. Don't tell them that you have already been to another dealer. Remember its a mechanic that diagnosed your car and maybe he was one that didn't finish in the top half of his class. .....indicate that you are concerned about the safety of your braking system..be persistant! Good luck
  • arbyarby Member Posts: 8
    Had a '96 Pontiac GP with a similar problem. The dealer changed the speed sensor 2 or 3 times, with the ABS light coming on intermittently and inexplicably. Finally they found a bare wire in the harness running along the frame to the right rear wheel. Something to check
    Open the coolant expansion tank and take a whiff. My brand new '03 came with such an odor. Dealer found the coolant was contaminated. They flushed the system and replaced the coolant and added a deoderizer. Cured the smell.
  • distantrunnerdistantrunner Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for input. I'm headed by to shop tomorrow - they're going to have another guy look at it since the other one who's already checked it out is adamant not their fault. Next stop is dealer to look for flaw that hopefully warranty will cover. I'm heartbroken - I use to love this car.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    re: TSB 01-06-03-005
    The flickering light symptom is apparently a problem that has occurred on many different GM vehicles.

For those that have had the problem and applied the TSB cited above (which simply involves replacing an alternator/regulator grounding bolt- a $5.00 part)...

QUESTION 1- Have you with your IMPALA been told that the flickering lights were caused by a defective alternator that was overcharging the battery?

QUESTION 2- Does anyone know what is the maximum voltage that should be coming off the alternator to charge the battery?

QUESTION 3- Could a bad grounding bolt account for higher than normal voltages from the alternator?

Thanks.
    dura
  • surfsailorsurfsailor Member Posts: 5
    I bought the Mich X-ones over a year ago and run them right around 33 pounds. You're going to LOVE the difference in sound, styling and handling after you wear them in a little. This is a quality tire for this car.
  • surfsailorsurfsailor Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know how I can tap into the car's computer system and monitor the motor systems? Quite possibly getting to the point where I will be able to optimize my gas mileage, and/or performance, over time?

Thanks in advance.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Easy. Put a vacuum gauge on it and drive to achieve the highest vacuum readings. The ECM controls injector pulse width based primarily on inputs from thethrottle position and manifold vacuum sensors, with coolant temp also used.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Hi,

I just bought my '04 base Impala last week, and I was reconsidering my decision to get the extended warranty. I agree with your posting. Also, my experiences with any kind of insurance/warranties is that they do everything to avoid paying a claim.

I thought I'd subscribe to this list to get any heads-up on potential problems. Anything that should concern me? It's a base Impala, sedan sport option package, 1SC option package.
    Hi,

Is www.Mygmlink.com valuable to owners? It says that it can remind owners of upcoming maintenance or any recall issues. I suspect that I'll get more info here, but I wonder if you guys are signed up.

Thanks!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'm signed up on there, and do check it occasionally. I didn't keep track of my maintainance on there very well, because I didn't find the site until I'd had the car for awhile. But knowing about it now, I'd definitely sign up, and keep track of everything you do there - if nothing else, should you have any problem with the car that causes a warranty debate, you can point out your maintainance record there as proof as to what you've had done, and when.
  • jugjug Member Posts: 4
    I have a fairly 2004 Impala LS with the 3800 engine that has kinda of a weird problem with the power steering making an annoying hissing noise all the time. It seems to get worse the more that it is warmed up and can be heard quite easily at a idle and around 1500 RPM. The power steering pump and lines have been replaced. The dealer says that they all do it. I can't believe that and the ones that I have listened to are quiet.

Anyone else having a similar problem ?
  • spark1espark1e Member Posts: 18
    Hello, how many miles can I expect to put on a 2001 Impala LS before the shocks need to be replaced? Are the front shocks struts? Any suggestions for good replacements?

Thanks
    Hi,

I've never had a key fob before, and I am just learning what it does. Since I don't have the driver info system/alarm, is this just a convenience in opening or closing the doors? I mean, nothing happens if I open the door with the key, right?

Also, I have never had a car that has only one key for the doors, trunk and starter. Always used to give just one key to the valet--the starter. Now, if I go to valet parking (I usually don't), they will have access to the car, starter and trunk. What do you do in this situation?

Thanks so much.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Yes, your key fob is just a convenience to lock and unlock doors and pop the trunk. As for valet parking, I'd just give the kid the key only.

Enjoy your Impala!
    Anyone else puzzled by the operation of the automatic lights? (I have an '03 Impala LS)My daytime running lights do not come on very readily even on bright mornings; however they seem to operate just fine on cloudy-even foggy conditons in the middle of the day. The dealer has checked this out 3 times and can find nothing out of whack. Does the sensor read the angle of the sun to the earth or something like that? Seems they never work before 8:00 am whether it's bright or cloudy.
    YIPPEE! This is just so exciting, having this new Impala! What a wonderful, smoooooth ride! :)

Thanks!
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    One thing I forgot...If you use your remote to lock the car then your key to unlock it, the alarm will go off. To shut it off, put the key in the ignition and turn it on, or hit the unlock button on the remote. Using the remote to lock the car sets the alarm.
    Thanks, mitzij,

But isn't that if you have the driver information center and alarm option? My alarm doesn't go off in this type of situation.

I would love to add an alarm option, but I am not sure that's possible. My insurance company did tell me that having the special key requirements to connect the fuel system on startup is the best theft deterrent, but I'd like something for contents.

Having a separate key for the trunk is actually useless for my car, with fold-down back seat, come to think of it.

I am amazed at the people who are excited by my new Impala--the guys who like to work on cars! I was getting a spare key for my other key ring in case of lockout (I know, it won't start the car), and told the car buff customer next to me that I just bought an Impala. He got so excited, saying what a great car it is, but I thought he was just being nice. Friday, a grocery clerk was helping me take my groceries out to my car, and I was telling him that my car's a new Impala--like it's no big deal. Wow, he kept telling me what a GREAT car it is--that he works on cars for fun with friends! He just was so excited, you should have seen his face as I showed him the features of the car. My mechanic, and the guys who work for him, rated the Impala over the cars I gave him in a list.

Feels great to know that the guys who work on cars love the Impala!
    I'm a new owner, but I thought I'd give helping you a try since I have been pouring over the owner's manual a lot lately. I haven't seen any other comments on your situation, so maybe I can help.

The dealership mechanic--what did he tell you about when the lights SHOULD come on? My new '04 owner's manual said that "a sensor on top of the instrument panel, makes the DRL work, so be sure it isn't covered.... When it's dark enough outside, your high-beam headlamps will turn off and the headlamps and parking lamps will turn on...."

For me, this is great. The headlights automatically come on when I hit a patch of road that is in shadow from a building, is really overcast, or when I go into an underground parking structure. When I leave those areas and the sensor senses enough light, it goes off.

Of course, the manual says you still have to turn the lights on when it gets dark/night--to have full brightness. I'm amazed at how many people think DRL means they never have to turn their lights on or off again.

Hope this helps you, arby!
  • topper7topper7 Member Posts: 8
    Bright red car that I really enjoy. I have had the car since 2001. Got 50,000 miles. Have had the typical steering clunk noise and manifold issues with both covered under warranty before my 36,000 warranty expiration. Replaced brakes and 2 front rotors at 40,000 miles (had the rotors turned a couple times during warranty also). Bought Michelin Hydro edge tires at 45,000 miles. Much better than the Goodyears that came with the car.

Need some advice

Temperature gauge only going to the 2nd line. It usually runs close to half. Heater only putting out warm air but not hot like it used too. Checked both radiator and overflow levels. Radiator full and overflow container is between cold and hot. I have driven the car more than 30 miles to work and it still did not warm up as it usually does.

I called the dealership about problem and asked if it might be a thermostat. They said if it was a thermostat, it would cost over $200.00. They said it could be the gauge. I told them that it doesn't put the heat out like it used to. Then they said it could be a sensor or another problem and will need to be brought in to be checked. They said it could cost up to 4 to $500.00 if it was a sensor or more depending on what they find.

I am hoping with all the experienced people at there, someone could give me some ideas and assurance that this is a reasonable or unreasonable cost to look forward to or any other advice.

What happened to the days of buying a thermostat for a couple dollars and changing it yourself?
  • 02impalals02impalals Member Posts: 19
    YOu may want to reread your manual.

The DRL are ON always. the sensor on top of the dash is for the Lights. If its dark/cloudy your driving lights will automatically turn on. Or if you feel handy, you can turn them on the old fashion way if you like driving with your lights on during the day.

Even if you want to turn off your lights at night, you cant!. try it.
    when you are driving the car, are you using the heater?

supposely, if your car is overheating, you can run the heater and that will remove some of the heat from the engine.

just a thought.
    The dealer states they DTR light are to be on and the night time lights to be off when the sensor picks up enough daylight to make the changeover. They have checked the computer readings for any malfunction, and have compared its operation to a similar car in the lot. The problem is that by the time they get to look at it, the sun is high enough in the sky that they work properly. The sensor is not covered. The frustrating part of it is that on real bright sunny early mornings and late afternoons the night time lights are on, which means the dash lights-even turned up all the way- are not always enough to read the clock,radio station, gear select, etc. in the still bright sun.YET on a rainy and even foggy mid-day when you would expect the night time lights to be on, the DTR lights come on. In addition, when I go through a shadowy area or tunnel and the Nights come on, the DTR lights are often reluctant to switch back when I get back in the bright light. Any ideas? Thanks.
    I was quoting from the manual, p 3-15 of the '04 manual. Maybe I should start the car up outside, and go look at what lights are on front of the car during the day. It sounds like I am confusing the headlights coming on in the dark with something else.

Thanks, but please remember that I was trying to be helpful, when no one else answered this person's post. All I know is that my headlights come on when I hit a dark area. I didn't know that other lights came on at other times. I just got my car 2 weeks ago.

;(
    The issue is that it is cold outside, the temperature gauge is not moving to the half way point as it usually does. The inside temperature controls are both turned to the HOT position and only getting warm air, not HOT air as it used to do.

I have had this car since 2001 and know what it is suppose to do, even in the winter. I drive the car more than 2 or 3 miles, I drive 30 miles one way to work, more than enough time for the car to warm up to the temperature it should be at.

The problem isn't with the engine overheating, it is not reaching the proper temperature as it should be to allow enough warm air to be blown into the interior of the car.

I hope this information helps clarify the problem that I am having.
  • mkulinamkulina Member Posts: 8
    I'm having the same situation. This is my first winter with the car. I changed the thermostat to a 180 degree and coolant to green after buying the car (always do)and it was fine in the summer. Sounds like the 180 may not work in the winter.

Going to change the thermostat again. It's a 10 minute job, requiring a 10mm socket. If that doesn't work, reasonably confident that will fix the issue. I'll probably go back to the 180 in a few months until next winter.

Do it yourself, it's easy, fun and costs $10 instead of $200.

Regards,

Mike "Greasy Fingers" Kulina
    i dont check out this site anymore due to all of the whiners. although there maybe some people that need real help, i think that if youve read any of theese posts you will know that the impala isnt perfect nor does it tout to be.

If youre going to check your lights at night, note that they wont come on until you either release the parking break or shift into gear. Also note that you cant turn them off either unless you engage the parking break or put into park.

The DRLs are suppose to be on during the day rain/sun/snow unless its dark enough and the dash sensor turns on your lights, or you turn the on manually.

also, you cant turn off your DRLs. unless there is some aftermarket feature installed.
    I feel for you, but HOt and COld are relative terms. since you know your car better, then me or anyone else, i would recommend you take it to your fav mechanic/dealer to look at the issues/problems.

The previous post has a good point and if youre a DIY then try that. A simple thing to check is the thermostat. run the car and see if the intake to the radiator will get hot. after the thermostat reaches a certain temp (not sure what stock temp thermostat is), it should open the hose will get hot.

regarding the overheating issue, i mentioned not because your car is overheating, but becuase when you use the heater it draws heat from the engine.
    I appreciate the feedback. I wish I had the time to go ahead and replace the thermostat, but I will not have any time to work on it until the weekend. Then that is the Holidays and will have a lot of family visiting time.

I will be taking the car to the dealership today and will let you know the outcome.

Thank you!
    If you are not getting heat inside the car, and your temp gauge is not up to normal after reasonable warm up time (gauge should be about in the middle at 190-200 degrees) your thermostat is not restricting flow enough to raise the temperature. Replace it with the exact degree that it came with-probably a 195 degree. If you put in a lower temp thermostat you could encounter all kinds of other problems. The engine and transmission were designed to operate at certain temps. If you have an LS with tachometer you might notice that the RPM's will read higher at 50 mph until the engine reaches full operating temp. This is because the torque converter won't shift into lock-up until it is warm enough. Installing a thermostat with too low temp could keep that from working, thus causing excessive engine/trans wear and bad gas mileage.

If your temp gauge is at or above normal reading and you still aren't getting heat inside the car it means either the thermastat is not opening enough to allow flow, or you have a clogged heater core. Suggest you have the system flushed and a proper new thermostat and fresh anti freeze installed. Arby.
  • cmssuitscmssuits Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like mine! lol Only I could add about 10 more things to the list.
  • gmtofordgmtoford Member Posts: 10
    About 2 weeks ago, the turn signals of my 03 Impala stayed on, didn't blink, I turned the hazard light on and off a couple of times, then the turn signal came back to work, and they have been worked fine after that. The day before yesterday (Monday), I dropped the car to a Chevy dealer for oil change, asked them to check it out to see what caused the signals problem. The guy at dealer first says - well, because the problem can not be replicated, the technicians won't figure out why. I say - I saw on the internet, some people also got the same problem, and their dealer found out there was a bad wire ground at the hazard switch. The guy says - OK, you can leave the car here, but we are busy, so it will take some time, won't be done till end of tomorrow (Tuesday). In Tuesday afternoon (1:00PM), I called the dealer to check the status,

that guy was on the phone, I left him a message, asked him to call me back. One hour passed, no response, I went to the dealer. That guy was on the phone, pretended didn't see me. I standed there for about 15 mins, finally he says - what I can do for you, I say what the status? He says - Oh, I just about to call you, it will take longer, how about come back end of tomorrow? I say - are they working on it? he says - no, haven't looked into it yet, they are busy on other things. I asked - how about the oil change? Answer - no, can you wait for another day? I said - forget it, give me my car, don't waste my time.

I am really mad, they let the car sleep there for two days without even look into it, even didn't do the oil change, and no update to me on what's going on. I have been a die hard GM fun, but now I think the Impala will be my last GM car, when the lease is up in 1.5 years, I will go for a Ford. The other car of ours is a Ford, the dealer experiences are a lot much better.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    Part is $15 at the dealer, you can replace it yourself if you have half hour to kill. Dont even need to remove the entire Instrument Panel face, just from the drivers door to the radio/center stack.

The problem is fixed when you replace the hazard switch itself, it contains the turn signal elextronics inside of its housing, and it protrudes about 3 inches back from the button you press from the front. I replaced mine when I had the problem you are having and it fixed it immediately. Girlfreind's 2000 Malibu had the same problem , same fix - just a different part number.

When you buy it at the dealer, explain you need to purchase the button/switch, NOT THE RELAY!! The relay is a seperate part and generally not the cause of this problem. They may try to sell you both parts at the same time, but you wont need to buy the relay which is a seperate part and part number.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Why go Ford, Considering resale value and quality I finally decided to get a honda Pilot. Daughter's Civic is great! Wife's Malibu and my Impala are both problems. Wife's Malibu had pistons replaced at 21,000 miles. Impala eats front AND rear rotors like a teenager eats chips. Tired of the hassle. 2001 Impala LS with 75,000 miles on it only worth about $6000 Kelley Blue Book.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    Purchased used 2000 Impala LS two months ago to replace a 1998 Buick Regal which my 17 year old son totaled. Impala runs as well as the Regal, except for the slight oil burning smell. (Any ideas?) I drove the car in foggy weather and had a hard time turning on the fog lights. Only solution was to pull the light control out. That allowed me to turn on the fog lights. This brings up the question of whether the regular lights were on or just the running lights.

Middle Age Guy
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Foglights cannot come on unless regular lights are on, they will not come on if running DRLs. The sensor that changes the system from DRLs to regular lights (and turns on the rear lights) takes time to activate. I have been in shade when I started the car and it took forever to go to DRLs. Then again, I have had the opposite occur and it took a long time for the regular lights to come on. Driving in and out of shadows is when this effect is best seen. If there wasn't a time delay built into the sensor everybody's lights would be flickering all the time as they sent down the road and passed through shadows.

Foggy weather may not be dark enough to activate the regular lights. Fog seems to account for the few times I have had to turn on my lights manually.
  • rdavierdavie Member Posts: 1
    The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel of my 2003 Impala have a thin layer of black paint and are lettered in white paint. The leds underneath the buttons shine through the white paint but do not shine through the black paint. The black paint has worn in spots from my fingers and finger nails when I adjust the cruise control, causing the light from the leds underneath the buttons to shine through unevenly.

My vehicle is past the 36,000 mileage warranty. The service manager at the dealer had no constructive suggestions on how I might repair and/or replace these buttons. Can anyone help?
  • scheckscheck Member Posts: 8
    I've had my 2004 Impala for about ten months, but I still struggle to find a truly comfortable driving position for my right foot. The distance between the gas and brake pedals is greater than any car I've ever had. Also, I'm not thrilled with the soft center padding of the cloth seat, with the outer padding being very firm. I've used seat covers, pillows, foam and everything else trying to get more comfortable with no success. When I get in my wife's car ('03 Vibe), I'm always comfortable.

Other than the two issues, I really like this car. Can anyone relate to what I'm saying. If I can't do something to get a little more comfortable, I'm going to take a bath on a trade.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Switch replacement is straightforward BUT requires disarming and removal of the airbag module before removal of the steering wheel. Not a DIY project.
    Having had a very difficult time finding the right car for me, I can relate to your situation! I actually have the opposite issues--most seats were too hard, and I didn't like the position of the other pedals. But I am quite tall and have other needs.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but is there a good "Relax the Back Store" near you? Many of them are staffed by former physical therapists (I think the chain was started by one), and they might be able to give you a little expertise.

When I was considering the type of seat to look for, I went to their store. They had a bucket seat set up so that you could try it with different types of cushions. The store manager would also go out to a car with me, and help me problem solve. The manager told me of only 3 cars that he never sees, needing help for seating comfort--BMW, Volvo, and I forgot the last one.

They let me try every cushion in the store, after I brought my new car around. I knew the Impala was the best fit, after I rented one for the weekend. And I knew which cushion would make it more comfy, by my prior testing.

There are many types of cushions and foam. Some are more dense than others. You might want to look for a denser piece of foam/cushion that is only big enough to fit in the soft center, so that the whole seat is firm for you.

If you don't have a "Relax the Back" store, there are probably similar stores. Just ask around--your doctor, or a physical therapist. Places for people with back pain are all over, and there are lots of products--even if you don't have back pain! There are places, found in the phone book, you might find that sell foam--all kinds--and you can have a cover sewn on for cheap. It would be a shame to have to lose money on your car.

I think the reason the Impala is more comfortable for me is that I've spent most of my life in Chevys! Even so, I didn't like the position of the pedals on the Malibu, and it's one reason I didn't buy one. I don't know what to suggest to you on pedal position. Maybe if you get the seating issue changed, the pedals won't be as much of a problem. You might also considering adjusting the seat differently.

If you are considering getting a different car, you might consider renting one for a whole weekend. I learned a lot from the rental, and even more the second day, about the comfort and features for my needs.

Hope this is helpful to you. I hope you'll report back with positive news...
    I can't get comfortable in my '03 LS either. Same problem with the cloth seat. Center of seat bottom "gives" too much, and the seat back is too curved. My wifes '00 LS with leather seat is much better. It has a relativly flat surface and I noticed the underneath structure is totally different. I'm considering buying a leather driver's seat to use as long as I own the car, then re-install the cloth seat at trade time. Sell the leather on ebay. Arby
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've never really paid that much attention to the placement of the brake/accelerator pedals on the Impala until after reading these posts - I made a point of tilting my steering wheel all the way up at a stop light today just to take a look, and realized I regularly only use the very lower right-hand corner of the brake pedal. I bet I almost never put my foot square onto the brake pedal - whether that's because the pedals are too far apart or what, I don't really know; that's just what I've realized I do. I know I've never had any problems getting my wires crossed between the two pedals, so they must be relatively far apart.
  • ndclarkndclark Member Posts: 3
    From my experience with the exact same problem I would have to say it is a GM design flaw. Ive been under my dash and had the cold air vents below the wipers opened and cleaned the drain. It drains fine. My 98 Grand Prix has the same problem during hard rains. Its very sad. I have a solution you can try if it is still happening. When I leave my car before shutting it off I turn the control to max a/c then turn the fan off and it does not leak in. The reason is because when the heat/ac runs on any other setting the vent opens to bring in fresh air. When the setting is on max a/c the blower motor shuts out the fresh air vent and re-circulates the air in the car so when it rains hard the water does not backflow from that cold air vent into the floorboard. Its rediculous to have this kind of problem on an automobile that costs thousands but so far this is the only way to prevent this from flooding and you may want to try this.
  • madridjoemadridjoe Member Posts: 28
    I guess it is all relative! With my size 13 EE shoes, it is nice to finally (in my 05 Impala LS) be able to reach the gas pedal without having to worry about catching the brake pedal at the same time!
  • scheckscheck Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for your suggestions. While we don't have the store you mentioned, I've found a man who does restore/modify auto seats and he has good references. He's willing to remove the center part of the seat and replace the foam with something more to my liking. His estimate was $90 -$120.

I haven't scheduled anything since my wife is now driving the Impala with her own seat cushion invention. We'll see how long that lasts before she wants our Vibe back.

I've talked to a couple of dealers about trades, but we would just be pounded by doing something now. I will have the seat re-done before giving up.

I checked again with my dealer about adjusting the throttle/gas pedal so that I could rest my foot on it when up to a relatively steady speed. They again said that is controlled by the computer and there is nothing they can do. I understand some Bonneville owners have the same complaint.

It sort of reminds me of the time I had a Pontiac Sunbird and you could not use the visors without hitting the rear view mirror. That's GM for you.
    Regarding the pedals, there are many ways to use them. For me, the placement is great for the way I use them. However, I don't feel comfortable making these suggestions, especially on a permanent web posting, and neither of us posts their email address. Could be questions of liability, who knows? But I am sure you will figure out a different way of using them. Good lucck.
  • rh58201rh58201 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I've just leased a 2005 Chev Impala Sedan. I love the car, but my rear and drivers side windows get really icy when I drive on the highway. I've been to the dealer once about wind noise and they said they fixed it, but the problem (noise) is still there. Is there anything I can do? Would an auxillary heater work or some special kind of window coating? I live in North Dakota (it was -18F today) and it isn't safe to drive with Window like this.

Thank you,

RH58201
  • connectpointconnectpoint Member Posts: 1
    Why did you have to pay if it was a recall???

I refuse to pay.

connectpoint2003@yahoo.com
    Update. i called my dealer parts dept to price a leather seat. Seems the seats come in numerous pieces, and assembly is required. It's also expensive. The parts guy hooked me up with a guy that does custom interiors for street rods. He was well aware of the problem. He has a new GM pickup that he has had to modify the seat a few times to get comfortable. He told me that in the past couple years GM discontinued making their own seats, and that they buy them from an independent supplier-I think he said Lear Corp. This explains the big difference betwen the seat in my wife's '00 Impala and my '03. Anyhow he put in pads where I wanted more support, and the result is a fabulous improvement. Well worth the $'s. Anyone else with a similar complaint should find someone who can rework these lousy seats.
This discussion has been closed.