Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• t_tookalookt_tookalook Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2003 Impala with 31K on it and now it's leaking coolant. The dealership says the Intake Manifold needs RESEALING and will cost $500.00. Thankfully, I'm still under warranty. However, I am very disappointed in this development. They are treating me quite well, but is this a fix or will it develope again down the road at my expense?? (Additionally, I have an extended warranty).
    Anyone have any advise or information about this type of problem?? It makes me think 'Japanese' again.
  • ladyls2002ladyls2002 Member Posts: 3
    Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Car runs great now. Thanks!
  • jfezieyjfeziey Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04' Impala that just had the transmission replace only 2 months ago. Last week I notice the transmission was jerking pretty hard when shifting. Also noticed that I was leaking some kind of fluid. So I assumed that it was my transmission again. Well after examining the engine I noticed a major leak in the radiator hose. But at the time I was thinking that is was leaking transmission fluid. So I had it looked at. And apparently my radiator is shot. Meaning that my radiator coolant is now mixed together with my brand new transmission fluid.

Can somebody explain to me how that happens? Is it hard to replace the radiator? Can I expect to fix anything else besides having the transmission flushed?
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    This intake manifold gasket problem is universal on all GM 3.4L and 3.8L V6 engines in recent model years. Someone in their organization tried to cheap out some pennies on the gasket design or purchase, now most of their customers are paying for it. On the minivan with 3400 engine, all of people that I know having this gasket leak. It cost upward to $800 on the minivan since it is a lot harder for mechanic to replace it in this vehicle. They did recall some of the newer vehicles (including Impala). But for those over 36K miles, we are on our own. There is nothing wrong with the engine designs since the 3800 has seen action for almost two decades and still is very well regarded. The new gasket is designed to fix this problem. So you should be safe for many years to come, theoretically.

BTW, Honda has 5 speed AT blowing up left and right on Honda and Acura vehicles with model year 2002-2004. Toyota has V6 engine sludge problem too. It is just luck nowaday and who will fix it faster.

jt
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    The rear Defrost and the AM/FM antenna are located next to each other (antenna grid is at the top of your rear glass).

With rear defrost on, there is a lot of electrical current flowing thru. it conductor. With that you have electrical noise from the vehicle (igntition, feual injector, electric motors,..)joining in for the free ride (on the 12V supply). So it is likely normal in this case. What you have here is noise coupling from the defroster to the antenna of the radio. Try it with AM to see if you hear whistling sound, buzz as you step on the gas.

jt
  • deeterbugrdeeterbugr Member Posts: 3
    December 3, 2005

Our 2001 Impala with 67,000 miles has been flashing headlights, constant clicking from different fuse box terminals, all the idiot lights flash warnings, battery light and bell goes off constantly, the horn honks as your driving and back up lights wont go off. It doesn't make any difference if the car is running or if the engine is turned off, with the key in the ignition or not. The only way to turn any of these things off is to disconnect the battery. All this started shortly after the catalytic converter was replaced under factory warranty. The intake gasket needs replacing due to the Dexcool.
    This car is becoming nightmare, we're beginning to think it's poses ed or something. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. It has the staff at Knechts Auto supply shop baffled.
  • cprophetcprophet Member Posts: 1
    i have misplaced my manuel and need to know how to reset my oil change light indicator
  • jfezieyjfeziey Member Posts: 2
    1. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON. The radio must be off.
    2. Press and hold the TUNE or DISP. knob on the radio for
    at least five seconds until SETTINGS is displayed
    3. Press the SEEK or PSCAN up or down arrows to scroll
    through each available feature on your main menu.
    4. Scroll, using the SEEK/SCAN up or down arrows, unitl
    OIL LIFE appears on the display.
    5. Press the PREV or NEXT button to enter the submenu.
    RESET will then be displayed.
    6. Press the TUNE/DISP. knob to reset. A chime will be
    heard to verify the new setting and DONE will be
    displayed for one second.
  • deeterbugrdeeterbugr Member Posts: 3
    On our 2001 Impala, that I wrote about yesterday, now the instrument panel is dark, we tried turning the switch back and forth and changed the fuses that the owners manual suggested and nothing has worked. I now know that this car is poses ed!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Did you buy this car new or used? Sounds like with that many electrical gremlins that perhaps it could have been submerged in water at some point. I used to work with a young woman who bought a "program car" Camry, thinking it would be a reliable car. She started having all sorts of odd electrical problems and could get no help from one dealer, so she took it to another. When I took her to pick up the car they showed us a very clear water line in the trunk behind the fabric lining where the car had obviously been submerged at some point. This was back in the pre-Carfax days, so she had no way to know (and she wasn't very car-literate, so someone saw an opportunity and took advantage of her). Anyway, when I hear of a car having multitudes of electrical problems now my first thought is to check for flood damage.
    JT- Thanks for the info. I don't have the paper work back yet but they talked of 'resealing' why that, instead of a new gasket??? Makes me a little nervous.
  • johnhxjohnhx Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if anyone knows the number of supporting struts under the 05 Impala hood? Recently my car had an accident and was sent to the body shop for the repair. When I got the car, I only saw one strut under the hood. I thought there were two but the guys in the body shop told me there was only one strut for 05 model. I just want to ask the 05 impala owners if this is the truth. Also what does the inner tube of the original strut look like? shining chrome or black? Thanks a lot.
  • kcdkcd Member Posts: 6
    The dealer said (1) the sound is coming from a computer controlled fuel vapor purge valve, (2) it will not damage anything, (3) there is no fix, and (4) GM has been notified and a case number has been assigned....I'm contemplating my next move...[...trade it in for Toyota, maybe, or call BBB for advice]. :confuse:
  • brown117brown117 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2001 Impala that I am having the same issue of turning the key over and nothing happens, no noise, clicks, nothing. The dealership replaced the BCM (Body Control Module) last week but this did not fix the problem and is now set on replacing the ignition switch. I'm tired of their guessing and paying for parts and labor I don't need. Any information you could provide me?
  • tobstertobster Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2001 Impala, exact same symptoms, we had the dealership replace the ignition switch, the problem has been fixed.
    -T
  • zemmzemm Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to rebuild a transmission for a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. Does anyone know of where i can get a diagram of the transmission to use when doing this? Much appreciated...thanks!
  • gemfiregemfire Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my Mother-in-Law's vehicle.
    Did you ever get a reply?
  • gemdadgemdad Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 Impala that we spent 1250.00 on less then 2 months ago. The car at that time was overheating, the engine lights were on in the dash, there was a low oil, low coolant and check engine on ALL the time. Even though the fluid levels were fine. Finally the temp guage went to the red and I took it straight to the dealer. I could smell an acrid odor but that was it. The dealer looked at it and told us that there was oil in the coolant reservoir-required a cooling system flush, the gasket had to be replaced and that the thermostat had to be replaced. They changed the fuse for the fan as well. After we picked up the car the temp guage hovered at 230 (when previously it was below the halfway mark), the engine light is always on and the low oil light comes on all the time. They told us after using a Tech II to diagnose it again that even though it "looks" like it's overheating according to the diagnostic check it isn't and that we needed a new oil pan sensor. Yesterday, the car went to the red again, fluid levels are normal and I am wondering if they ever fixed the problem in the first place! What could this be?
  • wurkjunkiwurkjunki Member Posts: 1
    I have oil getting into the coolant on 02 Impala. I have a 3.4 engine. Is this problem related to what you are describing? My last 6 on the VIN are 0262. Your help will be appreciated.
  • impalaloverimpalalover Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Impala - 3.8 liter engine. A mechanic friend just replaced the transmission with a salvage tranny. We test drove it this evening and the "new" tranny seems to be working great. However, I now have the "Trac Off" light on and the message center saying "Service Traction System." The message goes off when I start driving but the "Trac Off" light stays on. According to the manual, I should be able to turn the traction control back on by simply pressing the Traction On button on the dash. I did this but the "Trac Off" light is still on. Also, my "ABS" light is on and also won't go off. Does anyone have any idea how this could have occurred from changing the transmission and how I fix this? Do I perhaps need to have the computer "re-set" by a repair shop or the dealer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • simplemind7simplemind7 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i'm having a problem with a 2000 impala, 3.8L. i'm installing a remote starter and when i tried to start it with the key, the security light was on and it would not start, wouldn't even turn over the engine, i took everything out that i did and tried it, and it does the same thing. tried resetting the passlock system by leaving the key in the on position for 10 minutes, came back after 20 minutes and the security light was still on and it wouldn't start. does anyone know what is going on?

i've looked all over, nothing is unplugged and no fuses are blown, right now the wiring is back to 100% origional and it still does not work, need to get this car out of the shop for the customer so an answer ASAP would be excellent and very very much appreciated, thanks
  • billhotdjbillhotdj Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like someone did not hook up the sensor wires correctly, or not hooked up at all. I would have them recheck all of the wiring harness to make sure everything is hooked up. Also check the fuses to make sure they didn't trip any of the important ones.
    Bill
  • billhotdjbillhotdj Member Posts: 2
    I have seen of many times that the AC Delco Batteries will discenagrate and become loose from the positive side terminal. This happened to my mother and the whole terminal had come out from the battery and leaked everywhere. You may want to check your connections to the battery to make sure everything is snug.
  • ls03ls03 Member Posts: 1
    03 LS just went off warranty. 33000 miles.
    2004 computer module that controls cooling fan failed
    2005 Intermediate Steering Shaft replaced
    2005 Delco battery replaced
    2005 Main engine oil leak. gaskets replaced.3.8 L v-8.
    Is this atypical?
    Dealer said the oil leak was common.
    Are there other problems lurking? It's a good car, but...
  • onkwehonweonkwehonwe Member Posts: 1
    hello, i tried to start my car this morning, and when i turned on the ignition i could hear ticking comming from the fuse box, and my lights on the dashboard were flickering on and off, also i could hear a humming comming from the ignition switch somewhere, and my stereo said locked or something like that, it was fast, only came on once, my lights worked at that time, but were getting dim, then later on in the night after i tried to recharge the battery, the battery was totally dead, i was thinking it could be a new battery, or the starter, or the alternator, or worse comes worse, the computer, anyone have any ideas on what it could be? i don't want to spend hundreds at a dealership, when it could be a simple solution, thanks
    onkwehonwe
    When my battery goes out on my 2000 Impala (which it has done twice), it gives NO warning. The first time it reacted very similar to your experience, flashing lights and odd behavior like a scene from "Close Encounters." I was able to jump-start mine both times and get it to a shop to test the battery. I'm pushing 90k miles on mine, and so far no starter/alternator/computer problems, so hopefully all you need is a new battery.
    3.8L gasket replacement to stop a COOLANT leak (on the upper intake manifold) is very common, but I don't remember any complaints about an OIL leak.

If you have the auto dimming rearview mirror, it will quit dimming eventually. Probably in another 30-40k miles your driver's power window switch will quit working, a new replacement runs about $90. But it's easy to replace, so unless you're not mechanically inclined at all I wouldn't pay a dealership to install it. Beyond that I think you've dealt with all the other issues.
  • tina5tina5 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    my 2006 Impala shows the tire pressure in the driver information center much lower (4 psi lower) than the pressure gage at the gas station. What pressure is correct ? I assume the one at the gas station would be more accurate ?
  • mbissonnettembissonnette Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have an Impala 2001 and often my turn signal flasher will stop when being on or will simply not work.

I've noticed that if I turn on and off the Hazard (button on dash board) the turn signal comes back on! Weird but it works most of the time. As a temp. solution I just do that movement very rapidly, but would like to know if there is any solution out there!

Is it an electrical wire short ?
    or
    Do you think it's the "Hazard/Turn Signal Flasher" button switch described in your email ?

Thanks in advance,
    M.Bissonnette
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    Yes, it's that flasher module. you can probably replace it yourself if you have a screwdriver and $16.95 for the part at the Chevy Dealer's parts department. go to the website impalahq dot com and check the how-to section to see how to remove the instument-panel (i forget the name of the piece of plastic in front of the dash that contains that hazard button. You can do it yourself in half hour. Much cheaper than spending money on the part PLUS installation which is 1/2 hour in the dealer labor guide. Good luck!
  • mbissonnettembissonnette Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks, You just made my day, I'll give it a try and that is a cool site impalahq.com, bookmarked it as it can be very handy! Merry Christmas!
    MBissonnette.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    'Resealing the intake' is replacement of the gasket.
  • rogerskarogerska Member Posts: 2
    You probably do not have a short -- this is an ongoing problem with the piece of crap GM calls an Impala -- I replaced the windshield wiper switch and hazard wiper switch on my 2002 Impala in 2003. The Service center knew exactly what was wrong when it took it in for repair.

If you don't have any other issues with your body control module, consider yourself lucky!
  • rogerskarogerska Member Posts: 2
    You are not alone....I have a 2002 LS Impala with 29,000 miles. This is second time the body control module has acted up. First time was in the middle of the summer in August 2004 where the computer stored codes so that the mechanic was able to see what was wrong. This time with the battery was completely "dead" and nothing was stored; however, the battery will hold a charge, the alternater is perfectly fine -- there is no "explanation" for what happened. The clock stopped running, but stayed on and wouldn't shut off and the radio/CD player wouldn't play -- and then three days later the car wouldn't start. After I received a jump start, the computer had its brain scrambled, and everything works fine now.

The morale to this story is that you probably didn't need to buy a new battery. As for the leak and your other woes -- I can't speak to that.

It appears you will have more heart ache ahead of you should you keep this car. I am personally looking to buy a Nissan Maxima as soon as possible to get rid of this piece of GM crap. Good Luck!
  • kwest04kwest04 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Impala, 72000 miles. Odometer and radio lights are working intermittantly. Driver seat heater stopped working. Temp. gauge dial stopped working. Electric radiator fan just started to run on engine shutdown. One day last week, the car wouldn't start. I replaced the battery as it was the orginal, none of the problems went away, although the temp gauge worked for two days. Any info from anyone? Some sort of ground problem or ignition switch?
  • willie976503willie976503 Member Posts: 1
    HI I HAVE A 2001 IMPALA THE CAR IDLE OKAY BUT WHEN DRIVING WILL NOT GET OVER 30 MILES I HAVE CHANGE THE AIR FLOW AND THAT DIDN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM HELP
    Could be a clogged catalytic converter in your exhaust system...I haven't had this problem, but I've seen it mentioned here before by others.
  • aemekaaemeka Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Impala 3.8 ltr engine. I have a sluggish start from zero. But once it pulls away it drives fine. About 45 minutes later, it starts jockeying and within 10 minutes it will cut off and when restarted, it will cut off when put in drive. Tranny shop says they have to put down tranny to repair problem for about $2300. The computer spat out a code that says something about solenoid. Please help shade light on this if you can.
  • amyfromidahoamyfromidaho Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I too own a 2001 Impala. I love this car except that I too am having the exact same problems with the electrical system. The prevous message is mine to a Tee'. I came here looking for advise... I'm glad to know that I am not alone. Has anyone found a solution???
  • amyfromidahoamyfromidaho Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem!! you need a new catalytic converter. I replaced mine with great success. I know that GM is now offering a refund for this repair, on certain models. I suggest to everyone that has had this replacement to look for this refund.
    Has anyone here had issues with their auto-dimming rearview mirror, and if so, any advice on replacing it yourself? Mine no longer dims, and I need to replace it...I can order the part, and I assume it should be pretty easy to replace, but I'm hesitant to spend the bucks for the new mirror if it isn't something I can easily replace myself.
  • mean1mean1 Member Posts: 15
    My 2004 Impala has only 14,000 miles on it and has been well-maintained. It started leaking oil and the dealer replaced the oil pan gasket. This did not work...so they said that the first time they used a cork gasket and now the second time they would use the GM recommended liquid/rubbery gasket. But still the oil leaks. Now on the 3rd try they say it's not the oil pan but the rear main seal needs replaced. Isn't this a major repair for a relatively new engine. Will this ever be right or is this car a lemon? I don't like the idea of having engine repairs on a car I've owned for 18 months. Is there any hope for this car?
  • madmardgunmadmardgun Member Posts: 1
    I've seen some posts on this, but unclear to the solution. I've read on other sites that it could be a vacuum hose problem, but have not been able to find where it is. The A/C only blows through the floor vents. The max button does not do anything anymore and the vent selector switch does nothing either. If I switch the temperature selector to max heat it stops blowing through the floor vent, but I can still hear the air coming out somewhere (very little through dash vents or defrost vents). Any suggestions?
  • acid_dj_02acid_dj_02 Member Posts: 2
    On the 05 model you only have one strut and yes it is black. So the guys at the body shop are telling the truth. :)
  • acid_dj_02acid_dj_02 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 model and recently sent the car to the dealership for inspection of my brakes. The reason being is because I have to brake hard in order to come to a complete stop. The dealership told me it's normal I think not.Even at 40 mph I have to put my foot hard on the pedal. Does anyone else experience the same problem with their 05 model? :(
  • sspears1sspears1 Member Posts: 1
    There is a button that turns the auto dimming off. Could it have been bumped accidentally and turned off?
    No, the button is on. The dimming feature diminished over time...at first there were just patches near the top and bottom of the mirror, eventually these patches stretched across the top/bottom, leaving only a band across the middle that continued to dim. Finally the band in the middle disappeared - problem is there's no way to manually dim the mirror, so once it quits dimming on its own, you just have to squint and bear it. This probably transpired over a period of 3 years; my assumption is that the oil or whatever is inside the mirror somehow leaked out/dried up.
    rogerska-
    I know what u mean, my daughter has a Maxima. AND I'm ready to go back to Japanese, as I told my salesman- I'm tired of the U.S. crap (although my Impala was made in Canada) It's an '03 w/ 31K on it. It's my
    first and last GM car. (I like the car but I don't need the repairs) My brother has an '02- always in the shop-mostly brakes.
    Maxima or Avalon, here I come.
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    I got a mailing today from Chevrolet announcing a recall of 2006 Impala's with 17 and 18 inch wheels. They want to recalibrate the braking controls. This will probably apply only to LTZ's and SS's. I would imagine that the factory has been sending all Impalas out with the same braking parameters in the control module, and they are finding that the larger wheels change the picture. This should be a minor trip to the dealer, but I'll probably wait a month or two, until they have had a chance to figure out how to do it right. We have noticed no problems with the brakes on our LTZ, but if they can improve things, why not?
  • bruce18bruce18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Impala purchased new in 2000. In 2003 with approximately 60K miles on the vehicle I experienced the exact same shift problems described. Took it to the dealer and they replaced a Pressure solenoid (maybe the EPC). Worked fine until recently. Its doing it again. Is there no permanent repair for this problem? Won't I eventually tear up the Transmission?
This discussion has been closed.